Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Interesting by-election stats from the Indy’s John Rentoul – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited July 2022 in General
Interesting by-election stats from the Indy’s John Rentoul – politicalbetting.com

Mischievous total votes in the two by-elections: @PeterKellner1 making a point about Lab and Lib Dem concentrating efforts pic.twitter.com/14TxsEwFyb

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    First - Unlike Boris The Loser!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Foist

by their own fptp petard
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,390
    Goddamnit Mike.

I was going to use this tweet to headline a piece on Sunday entitled

'The Tories are really going to regret opposing AV, they should champion electoral reform now'
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,277
    edited June 2022
    A deserved Fourth: Like D. Herdson.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,971
    edited June 2022

Goddamnit Mike.

'The Tories are really going to regret opposing AV, they should champion electoral reform now'

The question is not whether we should have a form of AV - it’s which version of AV will give you the result you want.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,095
    FPT for @OnboardG1

Of course they aren’t going to introduce “miscegenation laws”. And any American lawmaker that tried to introduce such a clearly repulsive law would be howled down and driven out of town, ASAFP

@SeaShantyIrish2 has a point. This site can lapse all too easily into anti-Americanism. It is not pretty. Yes America is having a brutal, intense and sometimes ugly debate about abortion - but this is a fundamental moral difficulty. Where does life begin? When do we begin to protect it? This is not a small matter, and they take it more seriously than us

Just because they are having this terrifically thorny debate does not mean that Americans - 99% of whom are decent kind honest people - are about to accept laws banning marriage between different races. It’s nuts
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,916
    OnboardG1 said:

eek said:

Goddamnit Mike.

The question is not whether we should AV - it’s which version of AV will give you the result you want.
    AV is crap. Superior STV is the voting system of champions.
    You’ve just completely lost miketrain. @luckguy

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,113
    It's bollocks. The only issue is that masses of Tories sat on their hands. Voter strike. They won't at a general - when Boris is history.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,207
    eek said:

Goddamnit Mike.

The question is not whether we should have a form of AV - it’s which version of AV will give you the result you want.
    Full Single Transferable Vote in Multi-Member Constituencies.
  • Options
    Leon said:

FPT for @OnboardG1

Of course they aren’t going to introduce “miscegenation laws”. And any American lawmaker that tried to introduce such a clearly repulsive law would be howled down and driven out of town, ASAFP

@SeaShantyIrish2 has a point. This site can lapse all too easily into anti-Americanism. It is not pretty. Yes America is having a brutal, intense and sometimes ugly debate about abortion - but this is a fundamental moral difficulty. Where does life begin? When do we begin to protect it? This is not a small matter, and they take it more seriously than us

Just because they are having this terrifically thorny debate does not mean that Americans - 99% of whom are decent kind honest people - are about to accept laws banning marriage between different races. It’s nuts

Yes I edited the post. I didn't realise all the miscagenation laws were off the statute books and there's no chance of accidental relapse.

On the broader point, Americans are like any other people in the world. They're a mix of good people, bastards and everything in between. I don't particularly love or hate them any more than I love or hate Japanese people or Indian people. I do, however, think they've built a system through a combination of inertia, bad initial drafting and political sclerosis which has led to some truly appaling outcomes in a nation that should be able to do better. I would never want that system and the political culture that surrounds it to come to these shores.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,930
    edited June 2022
    Once again, the LD under performance in Wakefield was not a 'big thing', they are mince in Wakefield anyway. They lost 1200 votes, 800 or so of which are just gone on 'lower turnout'. So maybe 400 votes to Labour tactically at best. Jinkies!
    Labour did not benefit appreciably from tactical voting, the LDs in Tiv and Hon did. Its not rocket science.
    The actual questions are
    Will LDs continue to get high level tactical transfers in a GE?
    Will Labour start getting any?
    Edit - and will Tory vote strikers return?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814

It's bollocks. The only issue is that masses of Tories sat on their hands. Voter strike. They won't at a general - when Boris is history.

Who do you think is going to replace him?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Harry Gration

RIP.
  • Options
    On topic, the anti-Tory movement is increasingly clear and unambiguous. Lab+LD+Green+aligned others. I was a bit persona non grata when I defected from Labour to the Liberal Democrats. None of my former comrades object any more. They get it. That I post lots of anti-Tory stuff probably helps - we are on the same side.
  • Options

Harry Gration

RIP.

A legend.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,768
    Suella Braverman thinks an electoral pact between the LibDems & Labour is dishonest

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1540334029257465856
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604
    Gerrymandering extraordinaire to put Wakefield and Tiverton in the same constituency.

Anyhow, under AV the Tories would still have lost both seats. The anti-Tory votes congeal.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

eek said:

Goddamnit Mike.

I'm very satisfied with how my representation works in the Scottish Parliament. I don't think I've ever been without a representative who aligns somewhat ideologically with me or who gives a feck. My local MSP is a total and utter waste of airspace. My regional reps are miles better, so on the rare occasion I write to an elected rep it's to one of the regional MSPs.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Joris Bjonsson of course - someone who listens and will make changes. Alongside his wife Kari he will sweep away the errors of the previous administration and bring buses and bridges to all who want them.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

eek said:

Goddamnit Mike.

I'm very satisfied with how my representation works in the Scottish Parliament. I don't think I've ever been without a representative who aligns somewhat ideologically with me or who gives a feck. My local MSP is a total and utter waste of airspace. My regional reps are miles better, so on the rare occasion I write to an elected rep it's to one of the regional MSPs.
    Exactly. I have 7 MSPs I can call on. The English don't know how good MMC can be.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Suella Braverman thinks an electoral pact between the LibDems & Labour is dishonest

She is an expert in dishonesty.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604

eek said:

Goddamnit Mike.

Multi member yes, but with d'Hondt.

I want to know the result by Friday breakfast, not Sunday dinner!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    CatMan said:

Dgaf what she thinks
  • Options

Harry Gration

RIP.

A legend.
    I'm so old I remember watching him, as a young man, in Leeds on local TV as a student.

• Options

eek said:

Goddamnit Mike.

Democracy works best slow-cooked. With prime cuts of beef. None of this shallow fried end meat we have at the moment.

I don't know where I'm going with this. I had a long drive today where someone tried to sell me a telly in a service station car park so I'm a bit frazzled.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
    edited June 2022
    For lovers of sports trivia.
    First Super League game without a try in the 26 year history.
    Warrington 4 Hull 0.
    Also a rejected Housemartins album title.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Only a 26K majority - so she should be shitting herself.

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    OnboardG1 said:

eek said:

Goddamnit Mike.

The question is not whether we should AV - it’s which version of AV will give you the result you want.
    FYI (also BTW) voters in Seattle will be voting on initiative to enact Approval Voting for primaries for city office.

For example, in primary for a specific non-partisan city council position (either district or citywide) vote could mark their ballot once for as many candidates they wanted. With the top two who got the most votes (but only up to one per voter) advancing to the general election.

Much easier to count than Ranked Choice (AV-STV) election. Candidates with broad support clearly having advantage, while candidates with narrower voter bases and/or higher negatives being at disadvantage.

So First Past the Post but without having to put your bet down on just one nag.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Penny Mordaunt.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

FPT for @OnboardG1

Yes I edited the post. I didn't realise all the miscagenation laws were off the statute books and there's no chance of accidental relapse.

On the broader point, Americans are like any other people in the world. They're a mix of good people, bastards and everything in between. I don't particularly love or hate them any more than I love or hate Japanese people or Indian people. I do, however, think they've built a system through a combination of inertia, bad initial drafting and political sclerosis which has led to some truly appaling outcomes in a nation that should be able to do better. I would never want that system and the political culture that surrounds it to come to these shores.
    Dunno. Their richly storied political system has good and bad points. Tho it is true that what was good - the Free Speech Amendment. - feels like it is being eroded - and what is bad, eg the poisonous debates about guns and abortion, seems to be getting worse

But America has saved itself before. We must pray for them again
  • Options
    Daily Mail lol.

Tactical voting is only bad when the Tories are losing
  • Options

eek said:

Goddamnit Mike.

d'Hondt (a curse in Klingon?) is fab. But serves a specific purpose in Scotland. It isn't needed in the whole UK for GEs. Yes it would remove the joy of walking up and down the tables at a count. But so what.
  • Options

Harry Gration

RIP.

Super presenter and commentator. RL man through and through.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    CatMan said:

Oh dear, never mind!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,688

GIN1138 said:

Penny Mordaunt.
    Hmm. What's Plan B if you get, say, Ms Patel or Mr R-M?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Evening all :)

There won't of course be any formal pact or arrangement between Labour and the LDs - as to whether the latter will stand aside for the Greens in any seat I don't know.

The Conservative attempt to whip up some kind of hysteria about an "electoral deal" is absurd. The only ones making any deal will be the electorate and they will determine, on a seat by seat basis, which of the opposition parties is best placed to defeat an incumbent Conservative candidate.

In some seats, that is obvious - in others less so. There are seats which will remain Conservative even if the anti-Conservative vote is maximised.

The Conservatives also know that, excepting the DUP, they have no potential allies in the next Parliament - the shape of any potential non-Conservative Government is unclear except it will be led by Labour - the relationship between that Government and other parties in the next Commons will depend on the post-election arithmetic.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    The Tory voteshares of 30% and 38% were not far off national polling, it was tactical voting which did for them
  • Options
    Bloody Supreme Court keeps Big Dog election loss off the top slot on BBC news.

I blame Trump.

• Options
    Absolutely disagree with the law change re Roe v Wade but could someone please give me an understanding of why it’s been the leading news story on BBC radio this evening?

It’s really not cool but the UK is not the US and I seriously don’t believe that if there was a change to abortion rules in any other country it would even be mentioned on Radio 2 news bulletins.

I get that the US has massive cultural reach/is past it and irrelevant so whilst bemused by the level of coverage over last few months on the Today programme I don’t see why it’s leading in a country that isn’t affected remotely by it.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options

eek said:

Goddamnit Mike.

Problem with d'Hondt is that it means party lists - and we should be able as voters to prioritise which Tory / labour candidate I prefer
  • Options

eek said:

Goddamnit Mike.

d'Hondt (a curse in Klingon?) is fab. But serves a specific purpose in Scotland. It isn't needed in the whole UK for GEs. Yes it would remove the joy of walking up and down the tables at a count. But so what.
    Strictly, the Scottish version is degraded d'Hondt, specifically at the behest of SLDs and Slab. We have yet to see it working properly in the UK.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Tory voteshares of 30% and 38% were not far off national polling, it was tactical voting which did for them

You think it should be made illegal like your chums?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Tactical voting is not really cricket is it?

But then politics isn't a game.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

eek said:

Goddamnit Mike.

FYI (also BTW) voters in Seattle will be voting on initiative to enact Approval Voting for primaries for city office.

For example, in primary for a specific non-partisan city council position (either district or citywide) vote could mark their ballot once for as many candidates they wanted. With the top two who got the most votes (but only up to one per voter) advancing to the general election.

Much easier to count than Ranked Choice (AV-STV) election. Candidates with broad support clearly having advantage, while candidates with narrower voter bases and/or higher negatives being at disadvantage.

So First Past the Post but without having to put your bet down on just one nag.
    It's not the worst form of preferential voting, but I generally prefer ranked choice over a two-round system. It reduces the chance of turnout falling in the runoff. Anything is better than FPTP so good luck to them and I hope they go for it!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,660

If Johnson is history before the next GE (and I very much doubt he will be) the Red Wall will be gone for sure.

All those erstwhile Labour voters who voted Conservative in 2019 because they thought Johnson was a bit of a geezer who spoke his mind, will not be backing Johnson's successor.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    America needs its own version of the Lib Dems.

It wouldn't work, of course, in terms of the electoral maths. A third force would likely just skew the system too much in favour of one of the existing two. But I can't help thinking that the discourse there needs an alternative option, something that makes it less "us v them".
  • Options
    boulay said:

Absolutely disagree with the law change re Roe v Wade but could someone please give me an understanding of why it’s been the leading news story on BBC radio this evening?

It’s really not cool but the UK is not the US and I seriously don’t believe that if there was a change to abortion rules in any other country it would even be mentioned on Radio 2 news bulletins.

I get that the US has massive cultural reach/is past it and irrelevant so whilst bemused by the level of coverage over last few months on the Today programme I don’t see why it’s leading in a country that isn’t affected remotely by it.

Thanks in advance.

Because BBC News is run by the Conservative Party.

Seriously. Look up who runs it and their links to the Johnson machine.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Hmm. Is it any business of yours, either? Or are you all eager to ban abortion in Epping, and to make a little Gilead there? I seem to recall that you didn't want rape victims to have abortions. That is so gross that I doubt my memory; but if it s correct, then that would be carte blanche for any evil male to have as many children as he wanted, at no cost to himself. Which would be contrary to Party Policy, and innumerable speeches about out of control males spaffing up innumerable females and dumping them and their children.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    On that basis what business is it of Johnson's that Russia chose to invade Ukraine?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,270

OnboardG1 said:

eek said:

Goddamnit Mike.

Exactly. I have 7 MSPs I can call on. The English don't know how good MMC can be.
    Yes, and as many councillors know, having multiple members - even from the same party - is often built in encouragement to be the more effective, hard working one - and effect multiplied under STV where casework well done usually means a first preference next time
  • Options

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

Because BBC News is run by the Conservative Party.

Seriously. Look up who runs it and their links to the Johnson machine.
    Yet Tory rightwingers will be saying tomorrow that the excess interest by Beeb in this decision shows that the organization is run by bleedin' heart liberals who are wringing their hands in despair at the SC judgment.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Stodge is right re no LD Lab deal. Primarily because the LDs have nothing much to offer in most seats, a deposit worth of votes half of which would still tribally vote LD or stay home. Where they are stronger they'd be looking for labour to stand aside. A formal pact might also further endanger the red wall seats held by Labour where a strong BXP vote occured in 2019.
    So any tactics will be informal
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

FPT for @OnboardG1

Dunno. Their richly storied political system has good and bad points. Tho it is true that what was good - the Free Speech Amendment. - feels like it is being eroded - and what is bad, eg the poisonous debates about guns and abortion, seems to be getting worse

But America has saved itself before. We must pray for them again
    I sincerely wish it so, but I don't hold out much hope.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Nor yours to comment on what Macron or Trudeau say. By your own logic.
  • Options

Tactical voting is not really cricket is it?

But then politics isn't a game.

Now that’s where you are wrong as much as I hate to pull you up. In the lords triangular between Eton, Winchester and Harrow in 1896 Winchester and Harrow contrived a draw in their match to knock Eton out of the final so the seeds of tactical voting/negative behaviour to knock out one’s opponent were born. So again, as Norman Lamont should know, it definitely is cricket.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,421
    Foxy said:

CatMan said:

Oh dear, never mind!
    Besides, there's not much of a secret to say.

In FPTP, if your opposition is divided, it's easy for you to win. See the Conservative wins in 1983 and 2019, or the Labour win in 2005.

If you piss off your opponents enough for them to turn on you efficiently, you're in trouble. Roughly what happened to the Conservatives in the 1990s.

(Remember, the Conservative vote share went up from 2015 to 2017- what hurt them was that the opposition was more effectively arranged, so their seat count went down.)

This is simultaneously an absurdity of FPTP and a rather neat political lifehack that helps it give the right sort of result nationwide. (I don't think there's any GE outcome in my lifetime that hasn't matched the vague "feel of the nation's mood" vibe. Which spells trouble for the Conservatives, and points to a coalition, albeit of mild grumpiness rather than chaos.)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

FPT for @OnboardG1

The Loving case which is the one which stated that bans on inter-racial marriage were unconstitutional is based on the same reasoning which the Court has today ruled is unconstitutional in relation to Roe v Wade.

You hope that someone would not seek to introduce such a law. But if they did, based on today's ruling you could not be confident that the Supreme Court would overrule it.

This is not a debate about abortion, fundamentally. Todays ruling effectively allows states to rule what people can and cannot do in their most private and intimate moments: who they can have sex with, what type of sex they can have and whether they can use contraception. It gives the state power over a person's body. And when the state does have that sort of power, when a person loses full autonomy over their own body and their most intimate activities, they lose full personhood. It chiefly affects women. But it goes beyond them as well.

I would also say this: @rcs1000 always says that people will make a democratic choice to have abortion. That may well be so. But if such laws are challenged and go to the Supreme Court can one be confident that they won't rule that abortion itself is unconstitutional and that states have no rights to make such laws? There is it seems to me a real risk that abortion could end up being unlawful throughout the US.

And if that happens other rights - gay rights for instance - are also at risk.
    No

Abortion is uniquely difficult because two fundamental rights clash

The right of the unborn child to life, and the right of the mother to control her body

Personally I think we do this terrible balancing act OK in the UK. But I respect those who have firm moral beliefs that life begins at conception, and that the law - in America - should reflect that. It’s a deep philosophical dilemma

There is no deep philosophical dilemma about “banning interracial marriages”. Such a law would be barbaric and repulsive and it would be rejected out of hand by American voters and lawmakers. It is daft to suggest that this is within the realms of the possible
  • Options
    strawbrickstrawbrick Posts: 21
    Surely the voting system for all National & Local Government, Mayoral and etc should be the same.
    When it comes to a choice of system, FPTP is wrong where one party has a massive majority and so opponents votes are wasted. If the "winner" has less votes than the aggregate number of voters for others - how can the "winner" be speaking for people who voted against you. There is no relationship between the total number of votes cast for a party to the number of MPs that that party then has
    MTV for multi-member constituencies is over-complicated and can result in a slate being agreed.
    Multi-member constituencies dilute the concept of voters having "their" MP etc. Do all constituencies have the same number of additional members? Who is the lead member?
    How are the "duties" allocated?
    I doubt that "run-off" elections of the top two, as in France, would work in the UK.
    That leaves the STV, where the most "popular" candidate wins.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

GIN1138 said:

Penny Mordaunt.
    You have no idea abut the Conservative Party. Risible to think either are in the frame. We know they are voter repellent.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

There won't of course be any formal pact or arrangement between Labour and the LDs - as to whether the latter will stand aside for the Greens in any seat I don't know.

The Conservative attempt to whip up some kind of hysteria about an "electoral deal" is absurd. The only ones making any deal will be the electorate and they will determine, on a seat by seat basis, which of the opposition parties is best placed to defeat an incumbent Conservative candidate.

In some seats, that is obvious - in others less so. There are seats which will remain Conservative even if the anti-Conservative vote is maximised.

The Conservatives also know that, excepting the DUP, they have no potential allies in the next Parliament - the shape of any potential non-Conservative Government is unclear except it will be led by Labour - the relationship between that Government and other parties in the next Commons will depend on the post-election arithmetic.

I don’t think even the DUP would be in a position to help the Tory party at the next election.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

FPT for @OnboardG1

The Loving case which is the one which stated that bans on inter-racial marriage were unconstitutional is based on the same reasoning which the Court has today ruled is unconstitutional in relation to Roe v Wade.
    I don't think that's true, as the Fourth Amendment and Fourteenth Amendment are different things. And the latter is far clearer about the rights that the Supreme Court has derived from it.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,906
    Guardian front page, Saturday 25 June 2022: Tory grandees tell Johnson after historic defeat: just go https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1540439659448356870/photo/1
  • Options
    Leon said:

FPT for @OnboardG1

Two things strike me at the moment

> Forty years ago, or more, my mother telling me that she had zero problem with inter-racial marriage EXCEPT that she worried about the children, and how they would be treated.

> Maybe ten or fifteen years ago, in the aftermath of a major tornado somewhere in Mississippi, seeing the Governor of the Magnolia State standing next to a couple whose home had just been destroyed, pledging them and others like them his aid and support. An interracial couple, a Black man and a White woman. This from a guy who was once an active member in his hometown's White Citizens Council.

On the first point, believe my mom would have been greatly reassured by the election of Barack Obama.

One the second, when I saw that, damn near fell off my chair - the Governor of MISSISSIPPI not just willing to help a Black man and his White wife, but proud to do so on TV.

IF that ain't a sea change, what the hell is?
  • Options
    Mail tonight panicking on front page about Lib-Lab electoral pact.

They don't like it up 'em, sir.

• Options

• Options
    🔴Boris Johnson is facing a new plot to oust him, as Conservative rebels launched a push to change party rules in order to hold another vote on his leadership.

🔓 This front page story is currently free to read 👇 https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/06/24/tory-rebels-plot-next-move-oust-boris-johnson/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1656103594-2
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Hasn't Boris also expressed disappointment and a critical view of the decision?
  • Options
    Jeez. 14 mins into the news and still Beeb are on about the SC judgment.

• Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

Same reason that POTUS elections always get wall to wall coverage.
  • Options
    The Offer is stunning btw. On episode 4. Everything about it is exceptional.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

If Johnson is history before the next GE (and I very much doubt he will be) the Red Wall will be gone for sure.

All those erstwhile Labour voters who voted Conservative in 2019 because they thought Johnson was a bit of a geezer who spoke his mind, will not be backing Johnson's successor.
    The biggest movenent to Tories in the red wall happened before Johnson, he was just the water lapping over the wall. Red wall shift to tories is an ongoing process, not an event unique to 2019.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

GIN1138 said:

Penny Mordaunt.
    You have no idea abut the Conservative Party. Risible to think either are in the frame. We know they are voter repellent.
    But it'sd not voters who count in their selection. It's Tory MPs and Tory Party members.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Mr Johnson is obviously not the correct kind of Tory. Probably voted for PC in the past or something.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    He has not tweeted anything on it, though if he has said something it is also none of his business.

• Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,225
    boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

Why do you think we aren't affected by it? We have plenty of American posters and many of us in the UK have connections with the USA.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

But POTUS election has a massive direct affect on frankly every country in the world - abortion laws in the US which can be controlled on a state by state level have no affect on the rest of the world however unfortunate the effects are - mainly to US citizens.

I find that the same people who sneer at the US and say it’s declining are also the same who ramp up internal US matters as global news - can’t have it both ways.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    He has not tweeted anything on it, though if he has said something it is also none of his business.

Commented on it in the Rwanda junket press pool. I think it's entirely reasonable to take a view on it. Where America goes the world often follows, and it often emboldens those who might seek to do the same here. I have zero issue with politicians commenting on other nations' domestic affairs. Last time I checked they didn't have a button that forced US voters to agree with them.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,598
    boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

The usual pattern around the world in recent years has been of more and more legalising abortion and contraception and increasing reproductive rights. The US going backwards is a man-bites-dog story, as well as being in the most powerful country in the world.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    On that basis what business is it of Johnson's that Russia chose to invade Ukraine?
    It is invasion of a foreign country, not a decision about a foreign country's domestic law by that foreign country's highest court
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Oh ffs. Will this nightmare never end?
  • Options
    boulay said:

Applicant said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

But POTUS election has a massive direct affect on frankly every country in the world - abortion laws in the US which can be controlled on a state by state level have no affect on the rest of the world however unfortunate the effects are - mainly to US citizens.

I find that the same people who sneer at the US and say it’s declining are also the same who ramp up internal US matters as global news - can’t have it both ways.
    I would prefer US news to take a backseat as well for the most part. It's important but I don't think it should lead the bulletins apart from on the Americas service.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    Cyclefree - May I recommend, as I did earlier, that you look at US public opinion on abortion, at, for example, the Gallup site. For example: https://news.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx

Please.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Leon said:

FPT for @OnboardG1

An outright ban on abortion - zero weight given to a woman's rights over her own body rather than a balance between her and the foetus she carries - is also clearly repulsive.

It's the balance which is the genuinely interesting and difficult question. This here - the total removal of a safe and legal abortion choice for women in red states now facilitated - is what's nuts. It's rank bigoted extremism. It's not equivalent to racial segregation but neither is it on a different planet.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

🔴Boris Johnson is facing a new plot to oust him, as Conservative rebels launched a push to change party rules in order to hold another vote on his leadership.

🔓 This front page story is currently free to read 👇 https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/06/24/tory-rebels-plot-next-move-oust-boris-johnson/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1656103594-2

Paywalled when I try it.
  • Options
    Tres said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

Why do you think we aren't affected by it? We have plenty of American posters and many of us in the UK have connections with the USA.
    When you say “many” do you think that there are more people in the UK with close family connections with the US than with the EU and therefore if more UK/EU family connections then why do we not have the same level of coverage of changes and opinions over, say abortion, in EU countries on the BBC?

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

It's down to Cabinet now, not backbenchers. They had their chance and blew it.

We need Cabinet resignations to end this clown fest.

That wont happen of course.
  • Options

Cyclefree - May I recommend, as I did earlier, that you look at US public opinion on abortion, at, for example, the Gallup site. For example: https://news.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx

Please.

That stat has always cheered me, but the perverse incentives of the US system make sure that people who hold the angriest, hardline views on the subject find themselves in positions of power in the GOP.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Guardian front page, Saturday 25 June 2022: Tory grandees tell Johnson after historic defeat: just go https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1540439659448356870/photo/1

Like he listens to his elders.

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,768

Scott_xP said:
    Oh ffs. Will this nightmare never end?
    At the very least, you've got to admire BJ's trolling skills
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:
    What business is it of yours to comment on their tweets?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    It is invasion of a foreign country, not a decision about a foreign country's domestic law by that foreign country's highest court
    How about this one then?

"Disgraceful scenes in U.S. Congress. The United States stands for democracy around the world and it is now vital that there should be a peaceful and orderly transfer of power."

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1346926138057220103?s=20&t=mNmJoRAkzZeCO1vygpRDtQ
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

GIN1138 said:

Penny Mordaunt.
    But it'sd not voters who count in their selection. It's Tory MPs and Tory Party members.
    Exactly.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

FPT for @OnboardG1

You hope that someone would not seek to introduce such a law. But if they did, based on today's ruling you could not be confident that the Supreme Court would overrule it.

This is not a debate about abortion, fundamentally. Todays ruling effectively allows states to rule what people can and cannot do in their most private and intimate moments: who they can have sex with, what type of sex they can have and whether they can use contraception. It gives the state power over a person's body. And when the state does have that sort of power, when a person loses full autonomy over their own body and their most intimate activities, they lose full personhood. It chiefly affects women. But it goes beyond them as well.

I would also say this: @rcs1000 always says that people will make a democratic choice to have abortion. That may well be so. But if such laws are challenged and go to the Supreme Court can one be confident that they won't rule that abortion itself is unconstitutional and that states have no rights to make such laws? There is it seems to me a real risk that abortion could end up being unlawful throughout the US.

And if that happens other rights - gay rights for instance - are also at risk.
    No

Abortion is uniquely difficult because two fundamental rights clash

The right of the unborn child to life, and the right of the mother to control her body

Personally I think we do this terrible balancing act OK in the UK. But I respect those who have firm moral beliefs that life begins at conception, and that the law - in America - should reflect that. It’s a deep philosophical dilemma

There is no deep philosophical dilemma about “banning interracial marriages”. Such a law would be barbaric and repulsive and it would be rejected out of hand by American voters and lawmakers. It is daft to suggest that this is within the realms of the possible
    Leon.
    Just seen your question at the end of PT.
    You're right of course. Folk were locked up for homosexuality in this country within our life times. In the eighties in Scotland. That just about impinges on my consciousness.
    Is that worse?
    Well both are pretty bad. I don't think either are coming back.
    But if I had to bet, I reckon we are more likely to see bans on inter racial marriage in certain US States first.
    The US used to be a beacon of liberty. Massively oversold, and very often not observed. It isn't now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uks-boris-johnson-says-us-abortion-decision-is-big-step-backwards-2022-06-24/
  • Options
    Leon said:

FPT for @OnboardG1

Thanks for your sediments! But notion that 99% of Americans are "decent kind honest people" is obvious hogwash.

More like 99.46%! Though few are all three of above all at the same time.

As Bill Murray once memorably put it (I paraphrase) "our ancestors were run out of every decent country on earth" and often for good reason. And we their heirs have NOT fallen too far from the tree, having at least our fair share of ripe, rotting and rotten fruit - for clarification, of any pronoun.

Anyway, few are willing to rag on a country that ain't worth a damn. One reason why nations should start worrying when they are catching too little flack from foreigners.

Which I perceive has been a danger for UK for some time now? Though Boris Johnson HAS made valiant efforts to redress, at least re: the EU.

Much less successful though in US, where Anglophobia appears to be at an all-time low, and where yours truly is just about sui generis when it comes to serious disdain for Boris Johnson. For the rest, he's either a superior Benny Hill impersonator or totally unknown.

So not much help in boosting number of incoming Brickbats (aka Bronx Confetti) for Britain.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Please.

Look State by State.

Alabama, Indiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia etc all have majorities for making abortion mostly illegal. Until now they had no constitutional right to do so

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/religious-landscape-study/compare/views-about-abortion/by/state/
This discussion has been closed.