Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Interesting by-election stats from the Indy’s John Rentoul – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

GIN1138 said:

It's bollocks. The only issue is that masses of Tories sat on their hands. Voter strike. They won't at a general - when Boris is history.

Who do you think is going to replace him?
    Penny Mordaunt.
    Hmm. What's Plan B if you get, say, Ms Patel or Mr R-M?
    You have no idea abut the Conservative Party. Risible to think either are in the frame. We know they are voter repellent.
    But it'sd not voters who count in their selection. It's Tory MPs and Tory Party members.
    Exactly.
    Quite; but you evidently have more confidence in that selectorate. It;s not cast in iron that Ms Mordaunt will get the top job. And who else might?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Hasn't Boris also expressed disappointment and a critical view of the decision?
    He has not tweeted anything on it, though if he has said something it is also none of his business.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uks-boris-johnson-says-us-abortion-decision-is-big-step-backwards-2022-06-24/
    As I said he was wrong to do so, as no doubt the pro lifers in his camp from Jacob Rees Mogg to Nadine Dorries will now tell him
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,177
    Saturday’s TIMES: “PM faces new Tory threat” #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1540447525576085504/photo/1
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    On that basis what business is it of Johnson's that Russia chose to invade Ukraine?
    It is invasion of a foreign country, not a decision about a foreign country's domestic law by that foreign country's highest court
    How about this one then?

"Disgraceful scenes in U.S. Congress. The United States stands for democracy around the world and it is now vital that there should be a peaceful and orderly transfer of power."

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1346926138057220103?s=20&t=mNmJoRAkzZeCO1vygpRDtQ
    Yes in accordance with the US constitution not violence, today was a decision by SC in accordance with its powers under the US constitution
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,240
    boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Absolutely disagree with the law change re Roe v Wade but could someone please give me an understanding of why it’s been the leading news story on BBC radio this evening?

It’s really not cool but the UK is not the US and I seriously don’t believe that if there was a change to abortion rules in any other country it would even be mentioned on Radio 2 news bulletins.

I get that the US has massive cultural reach/is past it and irrelevant so whilst bemused by the level of coverage over last few months on the Today programme I don’t see why it’s leading in a country that isn’t affected remotely by it.

Thanks in advance.

Why do you think we aren't affected by it? We have plenty of American posters and many of us in the UK have connections with the USA.
    When you say “many” do you think that there are more people in the UK with close family connections with the US than with the EU and therefore if more UK/EU family connections then why do we not have the same level of coverage of changes and opinions over, say abortion, in EU countries on the BBC?

journalists are more comfortable covering stories in english
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

GIN1138 said:

It's bollocks. The only issue is that masses of Tories sat on their hands. Voter strike. They won't at a general - when Boris is history.

Penny Mordaunt.
    You have no idea abut the Conservative Party. Risible to think either are in the frame. We know they are voter repellent.
    But it'sd not voters who count in their selection. It's Tory MPs and Tory Party members.
    Exactly.
    Quite; but you evidently have more confidence in that selectorate. It;s not cast in iron that Ms Mordaunt will get the top job. And who else might?
    Rishi Sunak maybe. He will appeal to the Blue Wall. But he doesn't appeal to the Red Wall in the way Mordaunt will.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,835
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree - May I recommend, as I did earlier, that you look at US public opinion on abortion, at, for example, the Gallup site. For example: https://news.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx

Please.

Look State by State.

Alabama, Indiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia etc all have majorities for making abortion mostly illegal. Until now they had no constitutional right to do so

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/religious-landscape-study/compare/views-about-abortion/by/state/
    Not long ago, they all had majorities supporting segregation. I'm glad the federal government overrode them then.
  • Options
    micktrainmicktrain Posts: 137

boulay said:

Absolutely disagree with the law change re Roe v Wade but could someone please give me an understanding of why it’s been the leading news story on BBC radio this evening?

It’s really not cool but the UK is not the US and I seriously don’t believe that if there was a change to abortion rules in any other country it would even be mentioned on Radio 2 news bulletins.

I get that the US has massive cultural reach/is past it and irrelevant so whilst bemused by the level of coverage over last few months on the Today programme I don’t see why it’s leading in a country that isn’t affected remotely by it.

Thanks in advance.

The usual pattern around the world in recent years has been of more and more legalising abortion and contraception and increasing reproductive rights. The US going backwards is a man-bites-dog story, as well as being in the most powerful country in the world.
    Us leads the world in trends and is signalling a reversal of the sexual revolution Remember no abortions means for example women are less likely to sleep around
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

Cyclefree - May I recommend, as I did earlier, that you look at US public opinion on abortion, at, for example, the Gallup site. For example: https://news.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx

Please.

I have looked. I get that. How, though, does public opinion help when a law comes to the Supreme Court?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,054
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

FPT for @OnboardG1

Of course they aren’t going to introduce “miscegenation laws”. And any American lawmaker that tried to introduce such a clearly repulsive law would be howled down and driven out of town, ASAFP

@SeaShantyIrish2 has a point. This site can lapse all too easily into anti-Americanism. It is not pretty. Yes America is having a brutal, intense and sometimes ugly debate about abortion - but this is a fundamental moral difficulty. Where does life begin? When do we begin to protect it? This is not a small matter, and they take it more seriously than us

Just because they are having this terrifically thorny debate does not mean that Americans - 99% of whom are decent kind honest people - are about to accept laws banning marriage between different races. It’s nuts

The Loving case which is the one which stated that bans on inter-racial marriage were unconstitutional is based on the same reasoning which the Court has today ruled is unconstitutional in relation to Roe v Wade.

You hope that someone would not seek to introduce such a law. But if they did, based on today's ruling you could not be confident that the Supreme Court would overrule it.

This is not a debate about abortion, fundamentally. Todays ruling effectively allows states to rule what people can and cannot do in their most private and intimate moments: who they can have sex with, what type of sex they can have and whether they can use contraception. It gives the state power over a person's body. And when the state does have that sort of power, when a person loses full autonomy over their own body and their most intimate activities, they lose full personhood. It chiefly affects women. But it goes beyond them as well.

I would also say this: @rcs1000 always says that people will make a democratic choice to have abortion. That may well be so. But if such laws are challenged and go to the Supreme Court can one be confident that they won't rule that abortion itself is unconstitutional and that states have no rights to make such laws? There is it seems to me a real risk that abortion could end up being unlawful throughout the US.

And if that happens other rights - gay rights for instance - are also at risk.
    No

Abortion is uniquely difficult because two fundamental rights clash

The right of the unborn child to life, and the right of the mother to control her body

Personally I think we do this terrible balancing act OK in the UK. But I respect those who have firm moral beliefs that life begins at conception, and that the law - in America - should reflect that. It’s a deep philosophical dilemma

There is no deep philosophical dilemma about “banning interracial marriages”. Such a law would be barbaric and repulsive and it would be rejected out of hand by American voters and lawmakers. It is daft to suggest that this is within the realms of the possible
    With respect you are missing the point. The SC decision removes the protections that allowed these barbaric and repulsive laws to be overturned. There are plenty of people in the US who think that, for instance, being gay is repulsive and may well seek to make it illegal. If they do pass such laws, the SC's reasoning today makes it very hard indeed to declare such laws unconstitutional.

We cannot be confident that there won't be groups in the US who might well seek to make inter-racial relationships unlawful. It was not after all that long ago that this was the case in significant parts of the US.

The significance of today's ruling is that we cannot take for granted rights we thought we had, even if we had them for half a century.

I appreciate that abortion raises moral issues. I could not have one. But I would not tell another woman what she should do with her own body nor force her to carry a child, give birth and then either have to look after the child or give it up for adoption. That is quite wrong. But there are people who do want to control others in matters of personal sexual morality and I fear that they have the wind behind them in the US.

The trouble is that most countries have not resorted to the constitution or supreme court to make homosexuality legal. It was done through the democratic process. I'm a liberal and I believe in individual rights and autonomy but you can only push so hard against a democratic majority before you get overwhelmed and potentially lose everything.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,907
    Mourdant is a gamble.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,823
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

FPT for @OnboardG1

Of course they aren’t going to introduce “miscegenation laws”. And any American lawmaker that tried to introduce such a clearly repulsive law would be howled down and driven out of town, ASAFP

@SeaShantyIrish2 has a point. This site can lapse all too easily into anti-Americanism. It is not pretty. Yes America is having a brutal, intense and sometimes ugly debate about abortion - but this is a fundamental moral difficulty. Where does life begin? When do we begin to protect it? This is not a small matter, and they take it more seriously than us

Just because they are having this terrifically thorny debate does not mean that Americans - 99% of whom are decent kind honest people - are about to accept laws banning marriage between different races. It’s nuts

The Loving case which is the one which stated that bans on inter-racial marriage were unconstitutional is based on the same reasoning which the Court has today ruled is unconstitutional in relation to Roe v Wade.

You hope that someone would not seek to introduce such a law. But if they did, based on today's ruling you could not be confident that the Supreme Court would overrule it.

This is not a debate about abortion, fundamentally. Todays ruling effectively allows states to rule what people can and cannot do in their most private and intimate moments: who they can have sex with, what type of sex they can have and whether they can use contraception. It gives the state power over a person's body. And when the state does have that sort of power, when a person loses full autonomy over their own body and their most intimate activities, they lose full personhood. It chiefly affects women. But it goes beyond them as well.

I would also say this: @rcs1000 always says that people will make a democratic choice to have abortion. That may well be so. But if such laws are challenged and go to the Supreme Court can one be confident that they won't rule that abortion itself is unconstitutional and that states have no rights to make such laws? There is it seems to me a real risk that abortion could end up being unlawful throughout the US.

No

The right of the unborn child to life, and the right of the mother to control her body

Personally I think we do this terrible balancing act OK in the UK. But I respect those who have firm moral beliefs that life begins at conception, and that the law - in America - should reflect that. It’s a deep philosophical dilemma

There is no deep philosophical dilemma about “banning interracial marriages”. Such a law would be barbaric and repulsive and it would be rejected out of hand by American voters and lawmakers. It is daft to suggest that this is within the realms of the possible
    Leon.
    Just seen your question at the end of PT.
    You're right of course. Folk were locked up for homosexuality in this country within our life times. In the eighties in Scotland. That just about impinges on my consciousness.
    Is that worse?
    Well both are pretty bad. I don't think either are coming back.
    But if I had to bet, I reckon we are more likely to see bans on inter racial marriage in certain US States first.
    The US used to be a beacon of liberty. Massively oversold, and very often not observed. It isn't now.
    I don’t think so. No one is bothered about whether people are married or not. Some other forms of egregious racism and misogyny are more likely.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,835
    Cyclefree said:

Please.

I have looked. I get that. How, though, does public opinion help when a law comes to the Supreme Court?
    Or even a Senate filibuster, or an electoral college that over-represents small states.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013
    micktrain said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

The usual pattern around the world in recent years has been of more and more legalising abortion and contraception and increasing reproductive rights. The US going backwards is a man-bites-dog story, as well as being in the most powerful country in the world.
    Us leads the world in trends and is signalling a reversal of the sexual revolution Remember no abortions means for example women are less likely to sleep around
    What exactly is your problem with women "sleeping around"?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

FPT for @OnboardG1

No

With respect you are missing the point. The SC decision removes the protections that allowed these barbaric and repulsive laws to be overturned. There are plenty of people in the US who think that, for instance, being gay is repulsive and may well seek to make it illegal. If they do pass such laws, the SC's reasoning today makes it very hard indeed to declare such laws unconstitutional.

We cannot be confident that there won't be groups in the US who might well seek to make inter-racial relationships unlawful. It was not after all that long ago that this was the case in significant parts of the US.

The significance of today's ruling is that we cannot take for granted rights we thought we had, even if we had them for half a century.

I appreciate that abortion raises moral issues. I could not have one. But I would not tell another woman what she should do with her own body nor force her to carry a child, give birth and then either have to look after the child or give it up for adoption. That is quite wrong. But there are people who do want to control others in matters of personal sexual morality and I fear that they have the wind behind them in the US.

Pro-choice means just that. If you don't believe in abortion, then you won't have an abortion.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,658
    OnboardG1 said:

Please.

That stat has always cheered me, but the perverse incentives of the US system make sure that people who hold the angriest, hardline views on the subject find themselves in positions of power in the GOP.
    Indeed. And one of the functions of 45 has been to fuel this tendency with Republicans, while there has been no comparable figure among Democrats.

Of course there was pretty hard edge to Tea Party and other pre-45 manifestations of GOP rightwingery.

The Donald drove this into overdrive, however, thanks to his own well-established media savvy and charisma. PLUS growing political alienation of large swaths of mostly White voters in rust belts and rural areas. Alienation from Democratic Party increasing perceived as uninterested in them, their interests and perspective AND from the system in general.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,177
    Saturday’s INDEPENDENT Digital: “Johnson in peril as Tories warn ‘mood has shifted’ “. #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1540449190286966784/photo/1
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,326
    HYUFD said:
    Although I am not entirely comfortable dealing with morality politics, and I harbour my own occasional doubts on liberal abortion law, the removal of this fundamental human right for women concerns me greatly. I am even further alarmed by Clarence Thomas' subsequent mumblings. Where will this American Taliban madness that you support end?

You are very impressed by the illiberal politics of the fundamentalist Christian Right, but do you not ponder, as someone who values the notion of freedom from political interference, that overturning multiple case law which has allowed unfettered personal freedom is
    very un-Conservative?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

Why do you think we aren't affected by it? We have plenty of American posters and many of us in the UK have connections with the USA.
    When you say “many” do you think that there are more people in the UK with close family connections with the US than with the EU and therefore if more UK/EU family connections then why do we not have the same level of coverage of changes and opinions over, say abortion, in EU countries on the BBC?
    Good question actually. There's the general point that America is lead singer in megaband The West and therefore hogs audience attention. Also - and this could be just me - it's particularly sad and depressing to see female emancipation being rewound in the country where so many of its famous battles were fought and won. Although I guess that 'famous' bit sort of loops back to the 1st point.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,337
    dixiedean said:

micktrain said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

Blessed be the Fruit
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Mourdant is a gamble.

Particularly as your average punter doesn't have a clue who she is.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Saturday’s INDEPENDENT Digital: “Johnson in peril as Tories warn ‘mood has shifted’ “. #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1540449190286966784/photo/1

Wishful thinking, I suspect.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    He has not tweeted anything on it, though if he has said something it is also none of his business.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uks-boris-johnson-says-us-abortion-decision-is-big-step-backwards-2022-06-24/
    As I said he was wrong to do so, as no doubt the pro lifers in his camp from Jacob Rees Mogg to Nadine Dorries will now tell him
    Then Boris should tell them to do one. He's perfectly entitled to express a moral view on this issue. And I'd say the same if JRM and Nad were similarly coerced into silence.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426
    edited June 2022
    Scott_xP said:

What a fecking joke. An MP who supported him not two weeks ago now thinks he can't.

They all knew at the time they voted in the VONC that he was about to lose two massive by-elections.

These people are just stupid.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Cyclefree said:

A few decades ago you could have said the same about Ireland, and they ended up legalising abortion decisively in a referendum. If they had been forced to change their laws from outside, it might still be a live culture war issue today.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Although I am not entirely comfortable dealing with morality politics, and I harbour my own occasional doubts on liberal abortion law, the removal of this fundamental human right for women concerns me greatly. I am even further alarmed by Clarence Thomas' subsequent mumblings. Where will this American Taliban madness that you support end?

You are very impressed by the illiberal politics of the fundamentalist Christian Right, but do you not ponder, as someone who values the notion of freedom from political interference, that overturning multiple case law which has allowed unfettered personal freedom is
    very un-Conservative?
    No, allowing the states to decide on it is entirely in accordance with the US constitution.

Imposing abortion on demand US wide was not
  • Options

dixiedean said:

micktrain said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

Blessed be the Fruit
    I have no problem with it the woman will if she finds herself pregnant and abortion is illegal
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,517
    America is generally top toeing towards civil war. As we have often discussed. This SCOTUS ruling is more of an obvious large step on that road

America is one of the two most important countries on earth, it is also the ultimate guarantor of Western freedom. If it is tearing itself apart that IS headline news elsewhere in the western world
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Leon said:

FPT for @OnboardG1

They're not going to introduce anti misegination laws. But if it is logical follow on from this decision that a landmark case about anti misegination would fall on the same argument that seems a reasonable point to make.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    HYUFD said:

The Tory voteshares of 30% and 38% were not far off national polling, it was tactical voting which did for them

Tactical voting on a grand scale. It wouldn't take anything like that to erase the Conservative majority at a GE, even if the Tory vote held up very well - and there's little reason at this juncture to suppose that it will. After all, what has two-and-a-half years of Conservative majority rule done for most of the supporters it managed to win from Labour in the North and Midlands, apart from "get Brexit done," which is now ancient history?

Make them poorer.

I don't discount the possibility of a revival - I won't believe that the Tories are beaten until it actually happens - but they're probably going to have to string out the existence of this Government for as long as possible, get a few extra notional seats on the board with the boundary changes, and then hope by the time we get to 2024 that the economy is slightly less bad and there's enough in the war chest to finance a last gasp giveaway (probably something like a penny off income tax and some fresh bung for the elderly,) before calling an election. The calculus being that this will be far enough away from arguments over the lockdown parties and any mishandling of Covid for voters with short memories and even shorter attention spans to have forgotten and moved on, and feel oh-so-very grateful.

It might work, but I wouldn't be that confident if I were in their place.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Mourdant is a gamble.

A good green for me.
  • Options
    As the economy deteriorates I can definitely see the GOP pivoting to abolish same sex marriage to please the red states
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Mourdant is a gamble.

A good green for me.
    A very good green for me. :lol:
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333

If Johnson is history before the next GE (and I very much doubt he will be) the Red Wall will be gone for sure.

All those erstwhile Labour voters who voted Conservative in 2019 because they thought Johnson was a bit of a geezer who spoke his mind, will not be backing Johnson's successor.
    The biggest movenent to Tories in the red wall happened before Johnson, he was just the water lapping over the wall. Red wall shift to tories is an ongoing process, not an event unique to 2019.
    WAS an ongoing process.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993
    Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

journalists are more comfortable covering
    stories in english
    That’s pretty damning for the BBC surely with the resources it has through the world service and being largely based in London - a multicultural hub of polyglots whom they can employ journalists with degrees from around the world to monitor and report on matters in our neighbours (apparently proximity is most important when it comes to the EU, but language is more important with US, or something).

The BBC even do a pidjin service so language can’t be the issue? Laziness, priorities maybe but RvW does not justify, again however much I disagree with it, the prominence it’s had on the BBC.

• Options

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Mourdant is a gamble.

A good green for me.
    A very good green for me. :lol:
    If she brings gps out of hiding she has my vote
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Human rights in another country are still our business
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    micktrain said:

dixiedean said:

micktrain said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

Blessed be the Fruit
    I have no problem with it the woman will if she finds herself pregnant and abortion is illegal
    You seem to feel that is a good thing?
    Of course. Quality sex education and appropriate contraception would help much more.
    Are you in favour of them?
    Also. Wouldn't it help just as much if men "slept around" less?*

*With women of course.
    Taking and giving cock on a strictly bro basis would solve the abortion issue.
    If not the population.
  • Options
    Leon said:

America is generally top toeing towards civil war. As we have often discussed. This SCOTUS ruling is more of an obvious large step on that road

America is one of the two most important countries on earth, it is also the ultimate guarantor of Western freedom. If it is tearing itself apart that IS headline news elsewhere in the western world

I do fear this. One reason I'm so keen to see Russia defeated in Ukraine ASAP.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809
    For all you BoJack Horseman fans:

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,907
    The US needs to find a great president.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

A few decades ago you could have said the same about Ireland, and they ended up legalising abortion decisively in a referendum. If they had been forced to change their laws from outside, it might still be a live culture war issue today.
    From outside? I've never heard the US Constitution regarded as some kind of intrusive foreign power before.
  • Options

Leon said:

Given the Russians are winning currently you could be waiting a long time
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,518
    Cyclefree asked: "I have looked. I get that. How, though, does public opinion help when a law comes to the Supreme Court?"

What the Supreme Court decided was that the issue should not come to the court, but instead should be determined by legislators elected by the people. Or, even directly by the voters, as it was in Washington state, in Referendum 120. So now -- as it was not before this decision -- public opinion is crucial, just as it is in most Euroepan nations.

(In contrast, public opinion should not matter when in comes to freedom of speech in the United States, thanks to the 1st Amendment.)
  • Options

Leon said:

To be fair this is dream news for Putin in his efforts to divide the west
  • Options
    Biden really needs to take one for the team and step aside
  • Options
    micktrain said:

Leon said:

Are they? They haven't even fully captured the Donbass, let alone Kyiv
  • Options

I would miss him falling off his bike and getting lost in the woods
  • Options
    edited June 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Including the right of the unborn child then
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

very un-Conservative?
    No, allowing the states to decide on it is entirely in accordance with the US constitution.

But the nanny state interfering in personal freedoms such as what a woman can do with her own body, who one chooses to sleep with, or marry (kites thatThomas is now flying) is the work of Corbynista Labour not Epping Conservatives, surely?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    micktrain said:

Leon said:

Ah, this is clearly some new meaning of the word "winning" I was previously unaware of.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Please.

Despite what recent decisions may seem to suggest - perhaps invalidating NY State gun restrictions even more than overturning RvW - public opinion most definitely has a strong impact on SCOTUS.

Always did & always will, history is replete with examples.

For example, both Plessy v Ferguson AND Brown v Board of Education.

Note that at time of former decision upholding "Jim Crow" laws enacted by Southern states, most White Americans were luke warm at best re: civil rights for Blacks, while majority of White Southerners was strongly opposed.

Fast-forwarding to latter decision overturning PvF and it's "Separate but Equal" doctrine/fantasy, there had been some softening (but not overmuch) among Southern Whites. Big change, however, was the attitudes of Whites in the rest of USA. Who were increasingly unwilling to ignore let alone tolerate the state of affairs down in Dixie. For number of reasons, including fact that Great Migration of early 20th century greatly increased number of Black people - and voters - in the North.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

very un-Conservative?

But the nanny state interfering in personal freedoms such as what a woman can do with her own body, who one chooses to sleep with, or marry (kites thatThomas is now flying) is the work of Corbynista Labour not Epping Conservatives, surely?
    No, I am a conservative not a liberal and certainly not a libertarian
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,584

Carnyx said:

GIN1138 said:

Penny Mordaunt.
    I agree, although I don't think you need the word "voter" in your last sentence.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

Good question actually. There's the general point that America is lead singer in megaband The West and therefore hogs audience attention. Also - and this could be just me - it's particularly sad and depressing to see female emancipation being rewound in the country where so many of its famous battles were fought and won. Although I guess that 'famous' bit sort
    of loops back to the 1st point.
    What were these “famous battles” fought and won in the US? Universal female suffrage in the US was in 1920, a year after Leon’s believe Georgia (not the state).

The US has provided a platform for major female cultural emancipation - as have many countries in different ways but then we are told that the US is a busted flush, has no cultural influence on the world, it’s lost its mojo.

It can’t be both - if the US is no longer the shining beacon of liberty and liberalism for the world then who gives a f what they are doing internally - if it’s the number one story in the UK the clearly the US is still the beacon we look to and worry when it fails those virtues we think it represents.

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    This looks like it will be quite a bullish assessment of Ukraine's progress in the war against Russia.

"Ben Hodges @general_ben
    I am looking forward to talking about the war in Ukraine, why the Ukrainians are going to win, and why NATO is now in the most strategically advantageous position vis a vis Russia in the history of the Alliance."

https://twitter.com/general_ben/status/1540373370520444929
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

Are they? They haven't even fully captured the Donbass, let alone Kyiv
    Well at best you can say it's a meat grinder now so there will be no quick end to the war
  • Options
    BournvilleBournville Posts: 303
    CatMan said:

While I appreciate the joke, the problem with arguments like this (that white men can't comment on abortion because they won't need to have abortions) is that it does nothing to address the main argument of anti-choice activists (that aborting a foetus is murdering a child). If you genuinely believe aborting a foetus is murder, it doesn't matter whether you'll personally benefit from the murder or not - it's still murder. The best route for pro-choice activists is to tackle the "murder" aspect of abortion by making the case that foetuses aren't children, rather than assuming their opponents are a bunch of pale, stale, male WASPs who will inevitably die out.
  • Options
    micktrain said:

dixiedean said:

micktrain said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

Blessed be the Fruit
    Indeed. You support rape victims being forced to raise their rape babies. Just as you supported the Russian troops raping Ukrainian girls the other day.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    CatMan said:

Suella Braverman thinks an electoral pact between the LibDems & Labour is dishonest

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1540334029257465856

Is she planning to outlaw it ?
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Yep.

Abortion would be a free pill available at the 24/7 convenience store if men could get pregnant.

• Options
    boulay said:

kinabalu said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

Good question actually. There's the general point that America is lead singer in megaband The West and therefore hogs audience attention. Also - and this could be just me - it's particularly sad and depressing to see female emancipation being rewound in the country where so many of its famous battles were fought and won. Although I guess that 'famous' bit sort
    What were these “famous battles” fought and won in the US? Universal female suffrage in the US was in 1920, a year after Leon’s believe Georgia (not the state).

The US has provided a platform for major female cultural emancipation - as have many countries in different ways but then we are told that the US is a busted flush, has no cultural influence on the world, it’s lost its mojo.

It can’t be both - if the US is no longer the shining beacon of liberty and liberalism for the world then who gives a f what they are doing internally - if it’s the number one story in the UK the clearly the US is still the beacon we look to and worry when it fails those virtues we think it represents.

I think it left over "musical differences".
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

Ah, this is clearly some new meaning of the word "winning" I was previously unaware of.
    I presume you have Mick's IP address.

Alas it would have helped if more western artillery had arrived sooner. Better late than never though.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The US needs to find a great president.

No sign of that happening though.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, don’t give a fuck about the unborn child

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

Cyclefree said:

Please.

Despite what recent decisions may seem to suggest - perhaps invalidating NY State gun restrictions even more than overturning RvW - public opinion most definitely has a strong impact on SCOTUS.

Always did & always will, history is replete with examples.

For example, both Plessy v Ferguson AND Brown v Board of Education.

Note that at time of former decision upholding "Jim Crow" laws enacted by Southern states, most White Americans were luke warm at best re: civil rights for Blacks, while majority of White Southerners was strongly opposed.

Fast-forwarding to latter decision overturning PvF and it's "Separate but Equal" doctrine/fantasy, there had been some softening (but not overmuch) among Southern Whites. Big change, however, was the attitudes of Whites in the rest of USA. Who were increasingly unwilling to ignore let alone tolerate the state of affairs down in Dixie. For number of reasons, including fact that Great Migration of early 20th century greatly increased number of Black people - and voters - in the North.
    You may well be right. Are you based in the US? But if abortion is generally popular with voters how does this fit with today's decision?
  • Options
    edited June 2022

That puts Harris in the driving seat.
  • Options
    This SC judgement shows we are fundamentally European.
    That doesn't mean we have to be in the EU. Switzerland isn't.
    But. We just are.
    Atlanticist fantasies are just that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

very un-Conservative?

You are about as much a conservative as micktrains is.
  • Options

James Oh Brien
    @mrjamesob
    ·
    2h
    I don't think any broadcasters build a bond with their audience as strong as the ones built by long serving presenters of regional news. They are part of the furniture when you're at home & part of home when you're not. Harry Gration embodied this. Thank you & good night.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894
    edited June 2022
    I presume one of the consequences of the Supreme Court decision will be, as states line up with their various lines of abortion, we'll see a greater polarisation between the more socially conservative and more liberal states (and within states between more conservative rural areas and more liberal cities).

My very limited experience of this is it is much more nuanced - on the occasions Mrs Stodge and I have been in Las Vegas, for example, we have often encountered people from more socially conservative states who visit "Sin City" for the weekend. It was those people who took the more "relaxed" view of life in Nevada to its greatest extent - almost as though they were "free" for 48 hours before returning to conservative normality on Monday morning.

From our own experience, we had plenty of anecdotal evidence of young women from both the Republic and Ulster coming to England to take advantage of the abortion options here before the laws changed - it's a series of individual and family tragedies but all swept under the carpet in the name of what some considered religiously or morally unacceptable.
  • Options

micktrain said:

dixiedean said:

micktrain said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

Blessed be the Fruit
    Indeed. You support rape victims being forced to raise their rape babies. Just as you supported the Russian troops raping Ukrainian girls the other day.
    Whoever that guy was it wasn't me, still plenty out there share my views
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

very un-Conservative?

You are a right-wing fundamentalist. You are not a broad-church, small-state, Tory.
  • Options

Kieron Clarke
    @kieronishere
    💥On Boris Johnson’s future as leader following today’s by-election results, one senior Tory MP described him to me as “an ocean going, gaff-rigged c*nt” …

😬 They added, “we can’t wait to kick his arse out of Downing Street before he brings the whole Conservative Party down”.

https://twitter.com/kieronishere/status/1540395307711832071
  • Options
    boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

stories in english
    That’s pretty damning for the BBC surely with the resources it has through the world service and being largely based in London - a multicultural hub of polyglots whom they can employ journalists with degrees from around the world to monitor and report on matters in our neighbours (apparently proximity is most important when it comes to the EU, but language is more important with US, or something).

The BBC even do a pidjin service so language can’t be the issue? Laziness, priorities maybe but RvW does not justify, again however much I disagree with it, the prominence it’s had on the BBC.

Which story do you think is of more importance today than Roe vs Wade being overturned by the way?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

Until last night I would have referred you to a small fringe political party called the “Liberal Democrats” who apparently used a slogan of “Winning here” and bar charts that the Russian army would love to get away with on comparative Rus/UKR losses.

Sadly now they are a victory machine about to sweep the country and are currently at home preparing for power. The Lib Dems that is, not the Russians.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

micktrain said:

Leon said:

4 months of my 3 day war. The invasion has made NATO & EU both enlarge towards Russia.

I remain a master strategist.

https://twitter.com/DarthPutinKGB/status/1540208732289863680
  • Options
    Foxy said:

She also needs to take one for the team
  • Options
    Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

stories in english

Which story do you think is of more importance today than Roe vs Wade being overturned by the way?
    For the UK, Johnson losing two by-elections in one night.

I guess you can argue that that news had been out there all morning and the SC decision broke in our afternoon, so the latter is more 'news', but I still don't think the Beeb can justify the first 14 mins of news at 10 on this decision with a quick canter afterwards on the rest of the day's events.

Another shite editorial decision which helps Johnson.
  • Options

Kieron Clarke
    @kieronishere
    💥On Boris Johnson’s future as leader following today’s by-election results, one senior Tory MP described him to me as “an ocean going, gaff-rigged c*nt” …

😬 They added, “we can’t wait to kick his arse out of Downing Street before he brings the whole Conservative Party down”.

https://twitter.com/kieronishere/status/1540395307711832071

Indeed, they are so desperate to do so that most of them voted to keep him in place about five minutes ago.

"As much use as a chocolate fireguard" doesn't begin to cover it.
  • Options
    boulay said:

kinabalu said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

The Great Equality State of Wyoming - where women got the vote in 1869 - says hello.

Also very mixed but early history of emancipation > disenfranchisement > re-emancipation of women in Washington State.

Your other two paragraphs are pretty much spot on.
  • Options

Foxy said:

She also needs to take one for the team
    Oh you sexist you
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    edited June 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, don’t give a fuck about the unborn child

+1 - this law comes from 1775.

Prior to 1960 the first time you could be 100% sure someone was pregnant was at about 18-20 weeks…

As my old vicar (someone who turned down being bishop of London) said - we have to remember that our modern knowledge means many things in the bible just aren’t relevant now.

For instance most people aren’t possessed by demons they are just mentally ill and that illness can be easily treated.

And cancer is one of those things you get - it’s not because God is punishing you for some random misdeed
  • Options
    stodge said:

I presume one of the consequences of the Supreme Court decision will be, as states line up with their various lines of abortion, we'll see a greater polarisation between the more socially conservative and more liberal states (and within states between more conservative rural areas and more liberal cities).

My very limited experience of this is it is much more nuanced - on the occasions Mrs Stodge and I have been in Las Vegas, for example, we have often encountered people from more socially conservative states who visit "Sin City" for the weekend. It was those people who took the more "relaxed" view of life in Nevada to its greatest extent - almost as though they were "free" for 48 hours before returning to conservative normality on Monday morning.

From our own experience, we had plenty of anecdotal evidence of young women from both the Republic and Ulster coming to England to take advantage of the abortion options here before the laws changed - it's a series of individual and family tragedies but all swept under the carpet in the name of what some considered religiously or morally unacceptable.

One thing is some States criminalise travelling for the purpose of having an abortion, so there is no escape. Not only are they forced to continue the pregnancy to birth, they have to pay for it too. No NHS maternity or neonatal care there.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,518
    dixiedean said: "This SC judgement shows we are fundamentally European." But at the opposite end from Malta and Poland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Europe
  • Options

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

stories in english

For the UK, Johnson losing two by-elections in one night.

I guess you can argue that that news had been out there all morning and the SC decision broke in our afternoon, so the latter is more 'news', but I still don't think the Beeb can justify the first 14 mins of news at 10 on this decision with a quick canter afterwards on the rest of the day's events.

Another shite editorial decision which helps Johnson.
    Yes, Johnson by-election defeats feels more like olds than news to me now.

But Roe vs Wade going is genuinely a remember where you were moment, while Johnson has been losing by-elections every few months.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,571
    Some polling:

NEW: 50% of Americans oppose the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, including 41% who say they're strongly opposed. 37% support today's decision.

Men: 45% support/43% oppose
    Women: 29%/56%

Democrats: 18%/72%
    Republicans: 71%/20%

https://t.co/aBmhbby2uD https://t.co/LFzttdlao3

Nearly half of all Americans describe this moment in history as either terrible (36%) or bad (10%).

Terrible: 36%
    Bad: 10%
    OK: 11%
    Good: 10%
    Great: 19% https://t.co/APnoVEHeAj

https://twitter.com/YouGovAmerica/status/1540402621051183105
  • Options
    "Ocean-going gaffe-rigged c*nt" is far too truthful and eloquent to be from a real Tory MP.
    Doesn't pass the sniff test.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

very un-Conservative?

You are a right-wing fundamentalist. You are not a broad-church, small-state, Tory.
    There are plenty of pro life Tories like me, including in the Cabinet such as Rees Mogg and Dorries.

Though personally I would be closer to the Jeremy Hunt line of seeking to reduce the abortion time limit rather than try and ban it completely as the most realistic option for the UK.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551
    dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

Mourdant is a gamble.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
  • Options
    41% “strongly opposed” feels significant. It’s hard to get 40+% to feel strongly about anything
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,996
    boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

I pretty much agree. Concentrate on British news.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

This SC judgement shows we are fundamentally European.
    That doesn't mean we have to be in the EU. Switzerland isn't.
    But. We just are.
    Atlanticist fantasies are just that.

Poland is in the EU and already has laws which make abortion mostly illegal. In Ireland abortion was also illegal until a few years ago. Most US States will also probably keep abortion legal despite today's judgement
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

Mourdant is a gamble.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
    Well indeed.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

"Ocean-going gaffe-rigged c*nt" is far too truthful and eloquent to be from a real Tory MP.
    Doesn't pass the sniff test.

I dunno - easily sounds like something Boris himself could have come up with.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551
    Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Tres said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

stories in english

Given that it didn't happen here and has no legal bearing on anything taking place here, someone losing their cat up a tree in Bury St Edmonds is a bigger story in the UK.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

In the same way that Ruth Bader Ginsburg didn't.
    Well quite
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

dixiedean said: "This SC judgement shows we are fundamentally European." But at the opposite end from Malta and Poland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Europe

On the other hand, a decade ago that would have looked very different.
This discussion has been closed.