Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The betting money’s still going on a 2022 BJ exit – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    Johnson is so utterly shameless that he will limp on until they are absolutely forced to bring him down. He will not go voluntarily. That is why I suspect it may not be 2022.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    Meanwhile in cones hotline news...

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m
    Embattled Boris Johnson to cut taxes, make childcare cheaper and launch prefab homes revolution
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Outing SeanT not ok.

Outing other PBers ok.

Aye, yer a Tory rotter right enough Sean.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,855
    edited June 2022

Penny has a piece in the Telegraph. Unity, Brexit, all the Talents.
    On pre manouvere manouveres

Also a headline piece saying Johnson's allies want Hunt to tie himself to the dead albatross by becoming CoE in Johnson's next reshuffle.

Jeez.

Who the fuck is left advising Boris? Peppa Pig?
    There seems be absolutely 0 idea about what to do next. No. 10 has just become an odd extension of Johnson’s ego
    I think he gets angry and believes he could do great things if only people left him alone and stopped questioning him, rather than that people question him all the time because he is not doing great things.

He certainly has reached the governing stage of being furious and outright offended at people questioning his governance very quickly indeed.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,211

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

So the big revelation of the evening is that @Nigel_Foremain is gay

Whether I am or not is immaterial, and of no consequence. What is more interesting is your obsession with proving your masculinity and your obvious horror at my suggestion that it might be a psychological consequence of your repressed homoerotic fantasies. Just as a further point of interest, how tall are you? About 5'7 perhaps? (Don't worry I wouldn't possibly dream of asking you about whether you are smaller than average in the trouser department)
    Measured in British inches by the way. 🇬🇧
    Which are defined under the metric system, and therefore 2.54 x 10 to the minus 2 times the length of the path travelled by light in a vacuum in 1/299 792 458 of a second.
    omg you're quick, I was going to correct you.

:wink:
    Yes, I can get a bit wobbly about powers of ten. I still have to sit and think how many mm of rain will fill my 210 litre water barrel off my 5 x 3m shed. But it's MUCH quicker than converting cubic inches to hogsheads mentally ...
    I agree. I tutor my grandson over zoom in science/maths and he is always mixing up centi and milli and when to use them. Don't ask about kilo and Mega either! I used to like teaching units and measurements in the A level physics course.

By the by, I notice that zoom have limited their time to 40mins now the pandemic is over. A bit of a pain, but the cost of the upgrade is well beyond a mum and dad's pocket now.
    I hadn't heard that. How much does it cost, and who pays (this fits in with the WfH conversations.)
    You can of course log out and then in again on a new meeting, but yes it’s a pain.
  • Options

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m
    Embattled Boris Johnson to cut taxes, make childcare cheaper and launch prefab homes revolution

John Major was a political giant compared with the de Pfeffel pygmy.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,744
    Reading the comments tonight, not surprised there are hardly any women on here these days. I'm sure there were a lot more when I first visited the site about 10 years ago. Plato, etc.
  • Options

Also a headline piece saying Johnson's allies want Hunt to tie himself to the dead albatross by becoming CoE in Johnson's next reshuffle.

Jeez.

There seems be absolutely 0 idea about what to do next. No. 10 has just become an odd extension of Johnson’s ego
    In which case No. 10 must have enveloped all of central London.
    I think Peppa Pig would have a better idea what to do than this lot.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Reading the comments tonight, not surprised there are hardly any women on here these days. I'm sure there were a lot more when I first visited the site about 10 years ago. Plato, etc.

Hmmm… Plato was a very poor example. An utter thug.
  • Options

Jeez.

At the end of the day the fundamental problem is that Johnson has no project. No big idea. No beliefs. No reason to be there other than it would look good in the film memoir. Why is he in politics? How does he imagine this country will be different when he leaves office than when he arrived?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,266

I find it fascinating Johnson seems to be acting like he’s won a landslide confidence vote. Has anyone told him?

Who is speaking truth in the bunker?

Not the most inexperienced Cabinet Secretary in living memory. Nor the various aides who have been parachuted in by Crosby. Nor literally the worst cabinet of no marks and hopeless sycophants since records began.

At least Cummings seemed able to call him a deluded twat to his face.

I suppose his ex wife might call.
    The hateful philanderer clearly had no respect whatsoever for the fragrant Marina during their marriage, a penny which eventually dropped. I doubt she'd even waste her breath on the lazy flaccid waste of space now.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Whether I am or not is immaterial, and of no consequence. What is more interesting is your obsession with proving your masculinity and your obvious horror at my suggestion that it might be a psychological consequence of your repressed homoerotic fantasies. Just as a further point of interest, how tall are you? About 5'7 perhaps? (Don't worry I wouldn't possibly dream of asking you about whether you are smaller than average in the trouser department)
    Which are defined under the metric system, and therefore 2.54 x 10 to the minus 2 times the length of the path travelled by light in a vacuum in 1/299 792 458 of a second.

Yes, I can get a bit wobbly about powers of ten. I still have to sit and think how many mm of rain will fill my 210 litre water barrel off my 5 x 3m shed. But it's MUCH quicker than converting cubic inches to hogsheads mentally ...
    I agree. I tutor my grandson over zoom in science/maths and he is always mixing up centi and milli and when to use them. Don't ask about kilo and Mega either! I used to like teaching units and measurements in the A level physics course.

By the by, I notice that zoom have limited their time to 40mins now the pandemic is over. A bit of a pain, but the cost of the upgrade is well beyond a mum and dad's pocket now.
    I hadn't heard that. How much does it cost, and who pays (this fits in with the WfH conversations.)
    Not sure, I only ever receive a lesson link, which is free. Stepdaughter would have to pay. I think it's £120 per year or thereabouts.
  • Options

I find it fascinating Johnson seems to be acting like he’s won a landslide confidence vote. Has anyone told him?

Who is speaking truth in the bunker?

Not the most inexperienced Cabinet Secretary in living memory. Nor the various aides who have been parachuted in by Crosby. Nor literally the worst cabinet of no marks and hopeless sycophants since records began.

At least Cummings seemed able to call him a deluded twat to his face.

I suppose his ex wife might call.
    The hateful philanderer clearly had no respect whatsoever for the fragrant Marina during their marriage, a penny which eventually dropped. I doubt she'd even waste her breath on the lazy flaccid waste of space now.
    According to the biographers she was the only person who could talk sense into him.

• Options

Jeez.

At the end of the day the fundamental problem is that Johnson has no project. No big idea. No beliefs. No reason to be there other than it would look good in the film memoir. Why is he in politics? How does he imagine this country will be different when he leaves office than when he arrived?
    In that respect, very similar to Tony Blair. The big difference is that Blair was astute and had a great team behind him.
  • Options

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

Cutting taxes says First Lord as his CoE increases taxes to the highest level in 70 years.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,954

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

'Prefabs' ugh. At least try and give it a name that covers up that its shit sub standard housing
  • Options

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

Cutting taxes says First Lord as his CoE increases taxes to the highest level in 70 years.
    And don’t forget “Fuck Business”. He meant what he said.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

You can of course log out and then in again on a new meeting, but yes it’s a pain.
    Yes that's true, but it wipes all my annotations and notes for him on his work and I have to start agin or send him an email of them.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,352

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

And don’t forget “Fuck Business”. He meant what he said.
    Fuck Business Boris!
  • Options

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

He provides entertainment though.
  • Options

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

'Prefabs' ugh. At least try and give it a name that covers up that its shit sub standard housing
    BorisBlocks

• Options

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

Prefab doesn’t have to be shit. Many Swedish villas are really just posh timber kit houses, pumped out a factory. They are usually gorgeous to live in. Helped of course by the generous ground they are usually assembled in.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    I agree with OGH, the rebels went too early and without the numbers. For Boris to go this year the Tories would need to lose both by elections later this month, badly and Labour would also need to get a 10%+ lead and start to head for a majority rather than the hung parliament most polls still suggest
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

He provides entertainment though.
    Nope. The Oaf stopped being amusing ten years ago. John Major did of course have a sense of humour. Eg. Edwina Currie.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Has Boris offered free owls yet?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Toby Young and Mark Steyn got it pretty spot on this evening on Hunt, he is ' “Theresa May in trousers, but without the charisma,” and he’s about the best of the bunch!’ and that is why Boris is still there, there is no clear alternative

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1534256092531900417?s=20&t=Xmt12rRabF_7ndR1LeW5hQ
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,311

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

'Prefab' summons up images of post-war hardship. Presumably it's to create the narrative that Brexit was akin to WWII, and we now have to knuckle down for a decade or so in grim and impoverished conditions to make good the victory.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I agree with OGH, the rebels went too early and without the numbers. For Boris to go this year the Tories would need to lose both by elections later this month, badly and Labour would also need to get a 10%+ lead and start to head for a majority rather than the hung parliament most polls still suggest

Ten percent man is back.
    Just don’t hold your breath when the first 11% poll is published.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

Prefab doesn’t have to be shit. Many Swedish villas are really just posh timber kit houses, pumped out a factory. They are usually gorgeous to live in. Helped of course by the generous ground they are usually assembled in.
    But you know what they'll be like here. And it won't be homes fit for heroes.
  • Options
    Sunak is going to walk soon isn't he?

• Options
    edited June 2022
    HYUFD said:

When you think about it, it's amazing they were too impatient to wait 18 days for the results of the by-elections. A really bad result in Tiverton could have made all the difference.
  • Options

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

'Prefab' summons up images of post-war hardship. Presumably it's to create the narrative that Brexit was akin to WWII, and we now have to knuckle down for a decade or so in grim and impoverished conditions to make good the victory.
    That’s the thing with revolutions: they are never over. Long live the Brexit Revolutionary Party!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

All well and good till we realise he accidentally cut childcare, launched prefab home taxes and made revolution cheaper.
  • Options

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

All well and good till we realise he accidentally cut childcare, launched prefab home taxes and made revolution cheaper.
    Details! :wink:
  • Options

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

There are no heroes.
  • Options

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

I'm going to guess we won't manage to make such nice prefabs as Sweden. I'd like to be proven wrong on that.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,352
    HYUFD said:

SIX MONTHS AND A DAY since the last Tory poll lead.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Toby Young and Mark Steyn got it pretty spot on this evening on Hunt, he is ' “Theresa May in trousers, but without the charisma,” and he’s about the best of the bunch!’ and that is why Boris is still there, there is no clear alternative

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1534256092531900417?s=20&t=Xmt12rRabF_7ndR1LeW5hQ

What's Steyn been puffing? All the talked-up replacements for Boris as Tory leader are Remainers and globalists?
  • Options

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

There are no heroes.
    ..not just for one day?.....
  • Options
    edited June 2022

HYUFD said:

What's Steyn been puffing? All the talked-up replacements for Boris as Tory leader are Remainers and globalists?
    Steyn is a Trump fan. He is entertaining though

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1534257282950778880?s=20&t=REGCDKUA162REsnbone7bA
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

When you think about it, it's amazing they were too impatient to wait 18 days for the results of the by-elections. A really bad result in Tiverton could have made all the difference.
    I'm in the camp that finds this 'they were impatient' argument to be nonsense.

In any case, if MPs felt his actions were such that he needed to go they should act themselves. They couldn't be certain when the threshold would be reached, nor when or if they had the numbers. Were they expected to sit on their hands when they believe the leader to be wrong for the country? Without attempting it there'd be no way of knowing the support levels, as some will never give their view away.

And that doesn't even touch on the already mentioned point that most of those voting against now would still have done so after the by-elections. How can we be pretty confident of that? Because the reasoning they gave for supporting him, and the defences already put in for if they loss the by-elections, do not rely upon the by-elections. And we know that is not just talk, since those who are worried about the losses tried to act to forestall it from happening.

The 'impatient' argument suggests those putting in letters did so with little thought, in cavalier fashion, rather than one of the most serious political decisions they will have ever made.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    HYUFD said:

You can understand Jeremy Hunt's desire to get rid of Boris Johnson, because Hunt is almost guaranteed to lose his seat to the LDs at the next election if Johnson is still leader, regardless of whether or not the Tories win the election overall.
  • Options

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

They dont have to be, no, but can you really see Boris promoting those excellent kits? It will be cheaply made stuff by shisters who got the contract via Hancocks barber.
    Prefab sounds shit and ive every faith Boris will make it shit, and someone will make a fortune out if it.
    If im wrong then wonderful but this is the King of naff proposing it all.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

The key problem with English urban planning is that they’ve built rabbit hutches on flood plains. Really, really daft. And they’ve been doing it for the best part of a century. Much of the housing stock is just junk. And now their government wants to build even worse junk. What England needs is a drive to quality, not favellas.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,723

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

There are a few still left in Britain. These ones in Moseley are Grade 2 listed.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/frozen-time-17-birmingham-homes-23070148
  • Options

Why would he give up high office when he may not ever get it back again? I don't see that happening.
  • Options

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

The key problem with English urban planning is that you’ve built rabbit hutches on flood plains. Really, really daft. And they’ve been doing it for the best part of a century. Much of the housing stock is just junk. And now their government wants to build even worse junk. What England needs is a drive to quality, not favellas.
    Yes indeed. We need the inter war council housing builders. Solidly built homes with great back garden space.
    Build that.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

I'm going to guess we won't manage to make such nice prefabs as Sweden. I'd like to be proven wrong on that.
    There is no reason why you couldn’t. Ok, timber is not as cheap and plentiful, but you have other nice building materials. A lot of older English buildings are gorgeous. Why abandon proven and attractive technology?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

You can understand Jeremy Hunt's desire to get rid of Boris Johnson, because Hunt is almost guaranteed to lose his seat to the LDs at the next election if Johnson is still leader, regardless of whether or not the Tories win the election overall.
    Yes, Hunt may end up like Frydenberg, the big hope of Liberal moderates in Australia, who lost his seat last month so the new leader of the Liberals is the ultra conservative Peter Dutton who is even more rightwing than Morrison was
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Why would he give up high office when he may not ever get it back again? I don't see that happening.
    Me neither. He doesn't want to be a backbencher. He was appointed to be the gimp, and that he shall stay.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Steyn is a Trump fan

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1534257282950778880?s=20&t=REGCDKUA162REsnbone7bA
    Yes, I know Steyn's work well. But the idea that Boris is some sort of Trumpite crusader against the liberal-elite Tory Party is just crackers. Boris is a woolly lefty compared to all of his likely successors.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Steyn is a Trump fan

Yes, I know Steyn's work well. But the idea that Boris is some sort of Trumpite crusader against the liberal-elite Tory Party is just crackers. Boris is a woolly lefty compared to all of his likely successors.
    If you watch the link that is precisely what Steyn says, Boris has done nothing conservative apart from Brexit unlike say Thatcher and in his view has to move back to conservative principles to save his government
  • Options

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

There are no heroes.
    ..not just for one day?.....
    They made a new career in a new town.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,719
    edited June 2022
    O/T and just to lighten the mood a little (or maybe not)...

I suggested a day or two ago that anyone anyone born after this past weekend may never experience a Jubilee. To which the response was 'nonsense, there is 34 years between Charles and William, and 31 between William and George, so that's two silver jubilees'.

If you use the ONS life expectancy calculator, you get a projection that (on average) shows:

- Queen Elizabeth (96) reigns until 2025 when she is 99.
    - Charles then accedes to the throne at the age of 77 with a life expectancy of 88, taking us until 2036.
    - William then accedes at the age of 54 with a life expectancy of 84 but it takes him until 2061 to reach his Silver Jubilee (with a 30% chance he doesn't make it to 77).

However, Charles (two nonagenarian parents +top-drawer health care) could quite reasonably reach his late-90s with William taking over in, say, 2045 at the age of 63, then failing to reach 88 to celebrate his Silver Jubilee in 2070. Which could could see George acceding to throne in, say, 2069 at the age of 56 and reaching that next Jubilee in 2094 at the age of 81. That's assuming he makes 81, of course.

Maybe I should get out more.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,708
    Russia transferring more MLRS and 152mm howitzers all the way from Irkutsk to Ukraine.

The entire armory of Russia is being destroyed in Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/expatua/status/1534231268803727362
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,454
    It’s not often I agree with Daily Mail front page, but it’s true left wing union barons take money from union members so the union Fat Cat Leaders can pay themselves way more pay than they deserve to have, live in luxury on the members subscriptions, and bank roll Labour Party to stay silent about strikes asking for inflation stoking thus poor household crippling 9% pay rises. He who pays Piper plays the tune.

What’s the odds our hard left British Unions have received funding from Putin’s Kremlin? Is anyone investigating that?

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Steyn is a Trump fan

If you watch the link that is precisely what Steyn says, Boris has done nothing conservative apart from Brexit unlike say Thatcher and in his view has to move back to conservative principles to save his government
    Nah. Steyn is just trying to help his mate Farage, by putting it about that the Tory Party is about to be seized by the Heathites.
  • Options

I suggested a day or two ago that anyone anyone born after this past weekend may never experience a Jubilee. To which the response was 'nonsense, there is 34 years between Charles and William, and 31 between William and George, so that's two silver jubilees'.

If you use the ONS life expectancy calculator, you get a projection that (on average) shows:

- Charles then accedes to the throne at the age of 77 with a life expectancy of 88, taking us until 2036.
    - William then accedes at the age of 54 with a life expectancy of 84 but it takes him until 2061 to reach his Silver Jubilee (with a 30% chance he doesn't make it to 77).

However, Charles (two nonagenarian parents +top-drawer health care) could quite reasonably reach his late-90s with William taking over in, say, 2045 at the age of 63, then failing to reach 88 to celebrate his Silver Jubilee in 2070. Which could could see George acceding to throne in, say, 2069 at the age of 56 and reaching that next Jubilee in 2094 at the age of 81. That's assuming he makes 81, of course.

I can't see Charles doing more than 10 years as King, even if he lives into his 90s he will hand over to William by his late 80s and retire to Highgrove with Camilla. He has no desire to be monarch until death unlike his mother, just to say he has done it and then move on
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

It’s not often I agree with Daily Mail front page, but it’s true left wing union barons take money from union members so the union Fat Cat Leaders can pay themselves way more pay than they deserve to have, live in luxury on the members subscriptions, and bank roll Labour Party to stay silent about strikes asking for inflation stoking thus poor household crippling 9% pay rises. He who pays Piper plays the tune.

What’s the odds our hard left British Unions have received funding from Putin’s Kremlin? Is anyone investigating that?

RMT is not affiliated to Labour
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,454

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

So where is the money coming from to pay for these tax cuts?

And will they be based on need, such as the poorest households, the hardworking businesses struggling with fuel and energy costs, and all those who missed cut off in emergency budget - the hard working poor - whose 3 jobs lifted their household just above the threshold for help? Or will it be targeted on floating voters in key seats like all the rest of government spending on this Gerrymandering government?

• Options

kle4 said:

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

There is no reason why you couldn’t. Ok, timber is not as cheap and plentiful, but you have other nice building materials. A lot of older English buildings are gorgeous. Why abandon proven and attractive technology?
    Isn't a Hufhaus a pre-fab?

• Options
    Foxy said:

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

There are a few still left in Britain. These ones in Moseley are Grade 2 listed.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/frozen-time-17-birmingham-homes-23070148
    Yes, our old summer cottage was a Second World War prefab. I once googled the design, but have now forgotten the name. They were assembled all over the place, including Leicester I seem to remember. Apparently ours came originally from the central belt and was reassembled in the country. I won’t give you the entire story, but it involved two corrupt Labour politicians of the 50s and 60s.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Steyn is a Trump fan

Nah. Steyn is just trying to help his mate Farage, by putting it about that the Tory Party is about to be seized by the Heathites.
    Farage would do that himself anyway, if Hunt replaced Boris as PM and Tory leader then Farage would return to lead RefUK within 5 minutes
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    HYUFD said:

I can't see Charles doing more than 10 years as King, even if he lives into his 90s he will hand over to William by his late 80s and retire to Highgrove with Camilla. He has no desire to be monarch until death unlike his mother, just to say he has done it and then move on
    Damn! You've just cut through all my scheming calculations like a hot knife through warm butter!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Steyn is a Trump fan

Farage would do that himself anyway, if Hunt replaced Boris as PM and Tory leader then Farage would return to lead RefUK within 5 minutes
    I thought you constantly maintained that Hunt doesn't stand a hope in hell of leading the Tories.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Russia transferring more MLRS and 152mm howitzers all the way from Irkutsk to Ukraine.

The entire armory of Russia is being destroyed in Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/expatua/status/1534231268803727362

China will be licking their lips. The Russian far east is extremely vulnerable.

Hope everyone still has their Anderson shelter in the back garden.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,043
    This forum has a weird obsession with people’s heights. Why? Boris is small, Sunak is small. So what? There’s plenty of other things to criticise them for.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,166

Talk about desperate.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,515
    Andy_JS said:

And that's the trap some Conservatives have walked into. Association with Johnson tarnishes their reputation so much that they know that as soon as he goes, they go. So they have to stick up for him. Which tarnishes their reputation even more. And round and round the loop they go.

And the worst of it is that they knew what they were getting into bed with.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,126

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

There are no heroes.
    Whatever happened to all the heroes?
  • Options

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

Boris to cut taxes on Rwandan prefab homes, built in imperial measures. Middle class Channel 4 users must move in or have their passports removed or privatised.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989
    Foxy said:

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

There are loads. There's a searchable map here.

https://www.prefabmuseum.uk/content/history/map

There are 90 not more than a quarter mile from me.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

Yes, our old summer cottage was a Second World War prefab. I once googled the design, but have now forgotten the name. They were assembled all over the place, including Leicester I seem to remember. Apparently ours came originally from the central belt and was reassembled in the country. I won’t give you the entire story, but it involved two corrupt Labour politicians of the 50s and 60s.
    There were around 750 prefabs in Leicester, the last ones going in the Eighties.

I think the WW1 prefabs of Canadian cedar were very sought after.
  • Options

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

The future?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Steyn is a Trump fan

The man needs another hobby.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

There are no heroes.
    All the Shakespearos?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

Yes.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    FWIW. I was being a miserable bastard about the Iceland pensioner's discount.
    Have to reflect why. It isn't like me. Possibly just fed up we still have Big Dog.
    Still don't like the spin that they're helping the very poorest. But I guess that idea dies hard and slowly.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,957

If inflation is 9%, why wouldn't you ask for a 9% pay rise to keep up with the cost of living? Have you seen how much prices have gone up at the pumps, in the shops?

RMT members have to put food on the table for their families too.

Ultimately some people will be in a better position to demand pay increases during the cost of living crisis than others. But you can't blame anyone for trying.

If you want to blame anyone, blame the governments who printed billions and told us "modern monetary theory" works.
  • Options

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

There are no heroes.
    They became lodgers.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

The map sites in Leicester are all demolished, I think.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Steyn is a Trump fan

I thought you constantly maintained that Hunt doesn't stand a hope in hell of leading the Tories.
    He doesn't most probably, however if Boris was ousted and MPs put up a final 2 of Hunt and Sunak even Hunt might win the membership vote given how unpopular Rishi is with Tory members now
  • Options

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

Boris to cut taxes on Rwandan prefab homes, built in imperial measures. Middle class Channel 4 users must move in or have their passports removed or privatised.
    GPT-3 is on the blink again.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    kle4 said:

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

They need to find a way of building cheap prefab homes, ie for £50k per home.
    Actually, these structures already exist. Static caravans. They could do a lot to solve the housing crisis, but there is a stigma attached to them.
    .... but in many ways housing people in a static caravan would be preferable to an overcrowded, damp flat. Or being homeless.
    Factory built houses are more expensive to build than the standard block work construction favoured by large housebuilders.
    The housebuilders also generate vast amounts of construction jobs. Not so much factory built houses.

• Options
    edited June 2022

Talk about desperate.
    It is. They are striking for a pay rise, not Putin.

I see the Red Funnel is balloting too.

https://www.countypress.co.uk/news/20193126.isle-wight-ferry-employees-consider-strike-action-pay/
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

The future?
    Exactly. Screw the young to pamper the old.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

Yes.
    I honestly don't know how anyone can live in a house with so much glass and so few curtains. Especially in our northern latitudes.
  • Options
    darkage said:

kle4 said:

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

Actually, these structures already exist. Static caravans. They could do a lot to solve the housing crisis, but there is a stigma attached to them.
    .... but in many ways housing people in a static caravan would be preferable to an overcrowded, damp flat. Or being homeless.
    Factory built houses are more expensive to build than the standard block work construction favoured by large housebuilders.
    The housebuilders also generate vast amounts of construction jobs. Not so much factory built houses.

Those last two sentences seem contradictory.
  • Options
    darkage said:

kle4 said:

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

Is the building bit even the problem? I thought the issue was the price of housing land and the difficulty of getting planning permission. I don't see NIMBYs wanting prefabs in their backyard.
  • Options

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

There are no heroes.
    Once you've had one, you can't stop eating them.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,126

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

There are no heroes.
    They became lodgers.
    No, they watched their Rome burn.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

FWIW. I was being a miserable bastard about the Iceland pensioner's discount.
    Have to reflect why. It isn't like me. Possibly just fed up we still have Big Dog.
    Still don't like the spin that they're helping the very poorest. But I guess that idea dies hard and slowly.

I think you are right on it. It isn't like a barber having discount rates for OAP haircuts on a quiet Wednesday.

Not all pensioners are wealthy though. Those relying on a state pension are on a tight budget.
  • Options

Perhaps you should. I can’t understand why anyone gives a toss about a jubilee, save for the extra holiday. But maybe that’s just me.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

The map sites in Leicester are all demolished, I think.
    OK. They are definitely still there down the road from me. Got gardens. My Dad grew up in one. Not near me now but similar.
    They don't have to be crap. However. Hands up who think they will be built. Then hands up who think they'll be on time and budget. Then hands up who think they'll be quality.
    You haven't got three hands.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

Yes.
    I honestly don't know how anyone can live in a house with so much glass and so few curtains. Especially in our northern latitudes.
    One of the biggest cultural shocks about moving to Sweden is that they don’t have curtains. I drew the line there.
  • Options
    darkage said:

kle4 said:

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

Still get a terrace here for £40k. £60k in good condition. Easy.
  • Options

Step away from the Stoli.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

There are no heroes.
    They became lodgers.
    No, they watched their Rome burn.
    I'm surprised to find there are only 10 different lines in that song, of which 'All the Shakespearos' has to be the best.
  • Options

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

Is the building bit even the problem? I thought the issue was the price of housing land and the difficulty of getting planning permission. I don't see NIMBYs wanting prefabs in their backyard.
    Yes, indeed.

In a lot of countries people buy land and build on it, often with prefabs, such as the sprawling suburbia from the quarter acre Australian section.

• Options

kle4 said:

Sun Politics
    @SunPolitics
    ·
    8m

Yes.
    One of the biggest cultural shocks about moving to Sweden is that they don’t have curtains. I drew the line there.
    Seriously? Do they not have any privacy?

I always thought it was just a feature of the Scandinoir thrillers - to add tension.
This discussion has been closed.