Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Vote Green, go Blue? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2022 in General
Vote Green, go Blue? – politicalbetting.com

% of current Green voters who say they are very/fairly likely to consider voting instead for…29% – Labour20% – Lib Dem6% – Conservative 6% – Other5% – SNP3% – Plaid2% – Reform UKhttps://t.co/e9z88SD4OP pic.twitter.com/QV9mZ2mC9z

Read the full story here

Comments

• MattWMattW Posts: 18,087
    edited May 2022
    First.

Wotta lotta slugabeds.

Oh. Wordle.

Wordle 337 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
    ⬜🟩⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜🟩⬜🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    As has been remarked before, Labour's policy-light centrist managerialism risks losing voters to the Greens and LibDems. The question is whether Labour is keeping its policies under wraps to stop Boris using them as a dead cat (or simply adopting them, as he did in 2019) or if Starmer has been misled by 1990s throwback Lord Mandelson into believing those on the left have nowhere else to go.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087
    edited May 2022
    FPT:

Looking at the Oz result, I'd say it's going to be about continuity, and how quickly extra spending from Covid can be wound down.

I wonder if the same could happen here, despite all the shouting :smile: ?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good morning, everyone.

Hmm. Got error messages when I try to load either Betfair or Ladbrokes. Other pages seem to be working fine. Anyone else finding that?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    MattW said:

FPT:

Looking at the Oz result, I'd say it's going to be about continuity, and how quickly extra spending from Covid can be wound down.

I wonder if the same could happen here, despite all the shouting :smile: ?

Dr Oz or Oz the country?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Off-topic:

A relative of Mrs J has just got something that sounds suspiciously like Monkey Pox, during a trip to Switzerland. She's getting better now.

It'll be interesting to find out if it was or not, especially as I don't think any cases have been reported in either Turkey or Switzerland...

Interestingly, the lady in question does not seem to fit the rumoured demographic for this outbreak.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,703

Good morning, everyone.

Hmm. Got error messages when I try to load either Betfair or Ladbrokes. Other pages seem to be working fine. Anyone else finding that?

Good morning, everyone.

Both fine for me, I’m going in via the apps.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226

Off-topic:

A relative of Mrs J has just got something that sounds suspiciously like Monkey Pox, during a trip to Switzerland. She's getting better now.

It'll be interesting to find out if it was or not, especially as I don't think any cases have been reported in either Turkey or Switzerland...

Interestingly, the lady in question does not seem to fit the rumoured demographic for this outbreak.

Who knows what she gets up to her in spare time.
    moonshine said:

Off-topic:

Well, yes, but we need to be careful about making assumptions about emergent illnesses (*). Was tackling the AIDS epidemic in the 1980s stifled somewhat by the unjust stigma that it was a 'gay' disease?

(*) If it was, indeed, monkey pox. Other relatives are being somewhat coy about it, but the symptoms appear the same ...
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,168

moonshine said:

Off-topic:

Well, yes, but we need to be careful about making assumptions about emergent illnesses (*). Was tackling the AIDS epidemic in the 1980s stifled somewhat by the unjust stigma that it was a 'gay' disease?

(*) If it was, indeed, monkey pox. Other relatives are being somewhat coy about it, but the symptoms appear the same ...
    There are things that look like monkeypox, notably chickenpox.

moonshine said:

Off-topic:

There are things that look like monkeypox, notably chickenpox.
    Yep, AIUI. But there's the timing, and a certain reticence by the relatives to say what it was.

Hopefully it's nothing serious, and she's on the mend.

(Hopefully I'm not going all Leon on this...)
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,097
    Couple of interesting pieces in the Telegraph (£££). First the ongoing cabinet row about a windfall tax, with two more ministers coming out against the idea:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/05/21/tory-windfall-tax-row-widens-two-cabinet-ministers-reject-policy/
    And, second one, is Matthew Lynn's about the inevitability of a stock market crash and recession:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/05/21/stock-market-crash-has-just-begun/

The best hope the Conservatives now have is to ride out the storm and hope it has blown through by 2024.

It's probably too late now to save things by ditching the oaf at the top. The more he ramps up the culture wars and whips the Daily Mail into propaganda, the more hardened but smaller their voter base will become. We've seen this all before and it NEVER works.

Prepare for a landslide defeat.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Heathener said:

The best hope the Conservatives now have is to ride out the storm and hope it has blown through by 2024.

It's probably too late now to save things by ditching the oaf at the top. The more he ramps up the culture wars and whips the Daily Mail into propaganda, the more hardened but smaller their voter base will become. We've seen this all before and it NEVER works.

The unknown is what Boris wants to do. Obviously he doesn’t want to leave in disgrace, but does he want to stay? He might choose to walk claiming the job is done. My hunch is that the polls will determine hat.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    Heathener said:

And, second one, is Matthew Lynn's about the inevitability of a stock market crash and recession:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/05/21/stock-market-crash-has-just-begun/

If he knew what the stock market was going to do then he wouldn't be working for the Daily Telegraph (or at all).
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878

Heathener said:

If he knew what the stock market was going to do then he wouldn't be working for the Daily Telegraph (or at all).
    Well quite. The predictive power of economists in general, and economics journalists is about as good as my betting predictions.

I have not made a fortune betting.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

Heathener said:

The "inevitability of a stock market crash" is meaningless without a time frame.

Heathener said:

That is true, there are signs that things are seriously overheating. The market for IT contractors in London is overheating even by its own rather special standards. I was discussing a figure of £350k/pa last week. (Fortunately it was only a discussion). Graduates with a couple of years experience are demanding senior salaries.

Looks like a bubble to me.
    Mr. Taz, cheers. Weird, though, everything else is working for me (I am using a browser, not an app). Tried clearing cookies (suggested by Ladbrokes via Twitter), but didn't work.

O/t but. Just after asking Mr Jessop about his wildlife observations yesterday morning yesterday stopped being a GOOD DAY. Because I fell ….. tripped an uneven pavement…., en route to the paper shop, was carted off, by a very cheerful and positive ambulance crew, to hospital, was checked over quite thoroughly, including by the frailty team …..84 year old has nasty fall…… and was finally picked up, still unsteady on my feet by my wife, at about 3pm. Broke my glasses, have two black eyes and various other grazes on my face and arms. Looks dreadful!
    So life has changed again.

However, most of the blue-tit chicks seem fit and healthy!

Oh dear; in case correlation == causation I shall refrain from mentioning the chicks. Hope you feel better soon - sounds like it could have been worse.

O/t but. Just after asking Mr Jessop about his wildlife observations yesterday morning yesterday stopped being a GOOD DAY. Because I fell ….. tripped an uneven pavement…., en route to the paper shop, was carted off, by a very cheerful and positive ambulance crew, to hospital, was checked over quite thoroughly, including by the frailty team …..84 year old has nasty fall…… and was finally picked up, still unsteady on my feet by my wife, at about 3pm. Broke my glasses, have two black eyes and various other grazes on my face and arms. Looks dreadful!

Take care. Unfair that poor maintenance can do that to you. I hope that you recover swiftly and that you are able to use this to gain a bit of strength.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772

Sorry to read that OKC. Take care of yourself today while recovering.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    edited May 2022

Oh dear; in case correlation == causation I shall refrain from mentioning the chicks. Hope you feel better soon - sounds like it could have been worse.
    No, don't do that; comparison of wildlife observations are always interesting!
    And, indeed, could have been worse. Only my glasses are broken, no bones!

And thanks to all for the sympathy and good wishes!
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,068
    DavidL said:

Sorry to read that OKC. Take care of yourself today while recovering.
    Sounds like a sofa day is in order. Best wishes OKC.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Hope all is well ... we need your calming & thoughtful presence on pb.com, and perhaps the fall means you will have more time for posting ...

Do take care.

Lots of hares around my way, more than I have seen for some years, but alas the mole has returned to my garden.

Oh gosh. I'm so sorry OKC. I hope you can rest up and that you recover as quickly as possible.

xx

Personally I would far rather read your calming and beautiful wildlife postings than yet another tipsy travel boast from Leon.
    Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

That is true, there are signs that things are seriously overheating. The market for IT contractors in London is overheating even by its own rather special standards. I was discussing a figure of £350k/pa last week. (Fortunately it was only a discussion). Graduates with a couple of years experience are demanding senior salaries.

Which was part of his point.

I'm wondering if the somewhat critical posts below are from people who didn't actually read the article ...!
    Sorry to hear that, King Cole.

My mother had a similar fall a few weeks ago. Mostly better now, but not quite as fast at walking as she was. Hope you make a swift recovery.

Still confounded by why betting sites won't load (tried Chrome and that's got the same problem). I haven't changed any settings but suddenly they won't appear.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458

Sorry to hear that. Hope you shake it off quickly. By the sounds of it you will be shaking a fall off quicker than me and I have nearly 20 years advantage over you so try thinking of that to keep positive.
    kjh said:

Sorry to hear that. Hope you shake it off quickly. By the sounds of it you will be shaking a fall off quicker than me and I have nearly 20 years advantage over you so try thinking of that to keep positive.
    I'm in my 50's and some of you may recall I slipped and fell, breaking a rib. It has taken six weeks for me even to be able to begin sleeping on that side.

It shakes one up a bit too.

:(

x
    edited May 2022
    Interesting night out in town for a works leaving do (ward housekeeper retiring). Town very lively with hen parties, shortie playsuits seem to be the fashion here. Matron surprisingly good at the kareoke and a good time had by all.

LEICESTER IS BACK!
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,763
    Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

I’m seeing kids a couple of years out of school demanding 6 figure salaries

I liked because of the recovery! Glad you are ok.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,087
    Isn't the big question what votes are moving where?

If (say) Labour are losing votes in Hackney but gaining in Southampton, that's useful for them.
    Heathener said:

Personally I would far rather read your calming and beautiful wildlife postings than yet another tipsy travel boast from Leon.
    You are the only person who felt the need to make a dig at another poster in an otherwise friendly and concerned series of posts. What does that say about you?
    edited May 2022

Heathener said:

You are the only person who felt the need to make a dig at another poster in an otherwise friendly and concerned series of posts. What does that say about you?
    That I like nature and wildlife posts and not drunken boastful rants. But perhaps you're right that I shouldn't have.

Thanks.

Have a nice day x
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

If they are good enough to be of interest to a FAANG or MS then that rate isn’t out of the question at the moment.

edited May 2022
    On the topic of nature and wildlife, I was delighted the other day to find an Early Purple orchid (orchis mascula). It was growing all by itself, so far as I could tell, in a shady and damp bank underneath hanging branches and in a place few would walk. Really beautiful.

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/plants/wild-flowers/early-purple-orchid/

Does anyone know how rare they are?
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Heathener said:

Lots of birds feeding in my garden and quite a variety too. But the real beauty is seeing kestrels soar high above. It's not the first time I've seen them round here but it never fails to impress.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,836
    Cyclefree said:

Best wishes to @OldKingCole.

Seconded. Take care old chap.
    Good news! I can now access betting sites again.

I'm sure you're all dying to hear my F1 tip for the race... which I shall start work on.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    edited May 2022
    Heathener said:

kjh said:

I'm in my 50's and some of you may recall I slipped and fell, breaking a rib. It has taken six weeks for me even to be able to begin sleeping on that side.

x
    I broke a rib skiing. A pathetic fall but onto my pole. I carried on skiing (I'm that mean I wasn't going to waste the snow), but I was heavily dosed up with painkillers and coughing, sneezing, laughing or hiccups were so painful. I kept to simple stuff as well and definitely no mogul fields which are my favourite.
    eek said:

Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

If they are good enough to be of interest to a FAANG or MS then that rate isn’t out of the question at the moment.

There really is a split in the economy today. Different worlds. Definitely see a bubble.

If (say) Labour are losing votes in Hackney but gaining in Southampton, that's useful for them.

Yes, one of the issues.

The other thing that I notice is that there isn't much of the current Lab/LD/Green vote that would consider voting Tory. Not much room for swingback if you take people at their word.
    edited May 2022
    kjh said:

Heathener said:

kjh said:

x
    I broke a rib skiing. A pathetic fall but onto my pole. I carried on skiing (I'm that mean I wasn't going to waste the snow), but I was heavily dosed up with painkillers and coughing, sneezing, laughing or hiccups were so painful.
    That's really impressive that you carried on skiing. It's supposed to be one of the most painful things going: according to my GP which I'm not sure helped reassure me.

Mine was also pathetic. A loss of concentration and lack of grip underfoot but the really pathetic part was falling onto my chest ... in the pocket of which was my mobile phone. It was that which broke the rib.

I suppose if I had been walking whilst looking at political betting I wouldn't have broken a bone :smiley:

Heathener said:

I can't read it becuase I don't have an online account with the Telegraph but in the first few lines he is rather making the point that what has happened in the last few months is right on the edge of meeting the requirements for a technical bear market. My guess is that he will then project forward the normal duration of a bear market and forecast more grim times to come.

This doesn't need a great deal of percipience. Asset prices have been inflated by very low interest rates and a lack of decent alternatives resulting in lower returns. That is now changing but there will be winners as well as losers in a high inflation world. Companies which have been struggling under debt burdens they were struggling to service will find things quite a bit easier. Those with cash to burn will be anxious to spend it, perhaps on a rival, before it falls even further in value.

What I think we are seeing is some fairly short term memory problems. 2008-2021 was not normal. It was positively weird. We are heading back to somewhere more like what was "normal" for most of my adult life.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,013
    Good morning from Stockton! An interesting night out in my former home town. Someone from RuPaul's Drag Race was on at The Globe theatre so my hotel was packed and when we went out at 7 there was an awful lot of people in bars offering "pre-theatre drinks".

What people don't know about the town is that the former wharfside buildings (now separated from the river by a road) are preserved and there are rabbit warren passages and little court yards with interesting watering holes. Our usual one has new owners, has had a massive mad makeover and appears to have gone full hipster. Did I mention this is Stockton? Its baffling.

Does make me laugh though. Local Tories (when the Vickers crew aren't fighting with the Houchen crew) were opposed to the council spending money reviving the town centre. Against the council building this hotel. Against the council regenerating and reopening The Globe. Never any alternative proposal, just "waste of money" accusations. And yet here we with a thriving nightlife and a theatre and hotel that regularly sell out and hipster bars offering pre-theatre drinks at London prices...

Best wishes to OKC!
    Re. the pair of kestrels, where I have been walking there's a pair of buzzards. Always a wonderful sight, unless you're a mouse.

It amazes me too how they get mobbed by the crows.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,248
    Heathener said:

And yet, the Culture Wars are working for the Right in the USA (abortion excepted, as always)

I suggest this is because the Horror that is Woke is much further advanced in the USA than anywhere else, but it is spreading quickly in the UK, Canada, Oz, and is now creeping into the EU
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,002

I am so sorry to hear that OKC, and I too have a fear of something similar as my balance has deteriorated over the last couple of years

Tempus fugit for us and I hope you recover very quickly
    DavidL said:

Heathener said:

I can't read it becuase I don't have an online account with the Telegraph
    It's a very good piece, covering a wide range of comparisons.

I'm not sure this is where I should raise the subject of my VPN usage again but every once in a while it does allow you to read an article for free ...

Not something I make a habit of. Obvs.
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

And yet, the Culture Wars are working for the Right in the USA (abortion excepted, as always)

I suggest this is because the Horror that is Woke is much further advanced in the USA than anywhere else, but it is spreading quickly in the UK, Canada, Oz, and is now creeping into the EU
    The right are the masters of Woke, they invented it after all.

All the best OkC, get well soon.
    Jonathan said:

eek said:

Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

There really is a split in the economy today. Different worlds. Definitely see a bubble.
    A stock bubble or a growth one?

Looking at equities, my portfolio is about 40/60 UK vs RoW. The RoW bit is down about 15% over the last 6 months, the UK bit 5% but to keep in proportion the RoW one is just back where it was a year ago.

The US and European markets had a rise over the last couple of years that always looked a bit of a bubble, particularly tech stocks, but the UK mostly avoided that.
    F1: fascinating that Verstappen is odds on to win the race depsite starting 2nd when pole is a very good indicator of victory.

Annoying too, as that was something I was thinking of backing.
    Heathener said:

And a very good morning to you too, @Heathener from my semi-permanent office in sunny Sivota, Epirus

No booze, just an excellent cappuccino

edited May 2022
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

the Horror that is Woke
    It's really little wonder that you and I dislike each other! :wink:

I note that Australia has just booted out the right. I suspect, fairly strongly, that voters are turning left as usually happens during an economic downturn which the Right have failed to stem.

The cost of living crisis is going to do for the Conservatives but the likelihood, or inevitability according to the Telegraph, of recession will really screw them. Hence why I think a landslide defeat is on the cards.

Appealing to culture wars in a time of economic crisis is a well-worn tactic. It might have worked in Germany in the 1930s but recent history suggests it won't now.
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

And a very good morning to you too, @Heathener from my semi-permanent office in sunny Sivota, Epirus

:smiley:

Good morning!

x
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited May 2022
    Heathener said:

On the topic of nature and wildlife, I was delighted the other day to find an Early Purple orchid (orchis mascula). It was growing all by itself, so far as I could tell, in a shady and damp bank underneath hanging branches and in a place few would walk. Really beautiful.

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/plants/wild-flowers/early-purple-orchid/

Not terribly rare, although they like specific places - round here usually on limestone or lime rich soils.

The BSBI have public (although low resolution) maps available :
    https://bsbi.org/maps?taxonid=2cd4p9h.caq

Foxy said:

Interesting night out in town for a works leaving do (ward housekeeper retiring). Town very lively with hen parties, shortie playsuits seem to be the fashion here. Matron surprisingly good at the kareoke and a good time had by all.

LEICESTER IS BACK!

For the time being. Same with Newcastle yesterday. When the cost of living crisis truly bites hospitality will be devastated. Discretionary spend will fall off a cliff.

F1: fascinating that Verstappen is odds on to win the race depsite starting 2nd when pole is a very good indicator of victory.

I think that the only thing that can stop Verstappen today would be another power loss like he had at the end of qualifying. Interesting that Russell outqualfied Hamilton yet again. This car and Hamilton really don't seem to get on.

Heathener said:

Not terribly rare, although they like specific places - round here usually limestone or lime rich.

Thanks so much for this. A very useful map.

I spotted a Long-eared owl this time last year which I think is one of my rarest UK sightings. I suppose the Golden Eagle in the Highlands was rarer still.

What is the rarest flora or fauna to have been sighted by others in the UK?

Lord luvaduck

Nasty. Hope you get well sharpish

On the subject of falls, I was walking around a monastery in Meteora a couple of days ago and I saw a fit, healthy thirty something Asian-American woman take a tremendous clattering fall, onto hard stone, scattering all her cameras and bags and everything - because she missed just one step

Luckily she got away with a sprained ankle and a big scare (for everyone: it looked horrific) but she was inches away from a smashed face, lost teeth, broken bones - and maybe something worse. A fall onto stone can severely injure or kill you - a friend of mine got frontal lobe brain damage exactly this way (he was sober, BTW, but a bit frail from an illness, hence the fall)

We are all moments from disaster. Eat drink and be merry, and scatter ye rosebuds
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

One curious issue, on my night out we talked of many things in a party of about 40 staff, and no one mentioned any "Woke" issue at all, either way. Its almost as if no one is bothered.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    edited May 2022
    Cyclefree said:

Heathener said:

Lots of birds feeding in my garden and quite a variety too. But the real beauty is seeing kestrels soar high above. It's not the first time I've seen them round here but it never fails to impress.
    I walked to the summit of North Berwick Law with my daughter once, and we had the pleasure of watching a kestrel hovering in the search for prey from above.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

The cousinfucker shades are déclassé for an International Man of No Mystery. Get some Persols or something.
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

One curious issue, on my night out we talked of many things in a party of about 40 staff, and no one mentioned any "Woke" issue at all, either way. Its almost as if no one is bothered.
    Yep that's my view too. And it was certainly the case back in 1992-7 when John Major came out with all his Back to Basics guff.

Quietly, almost disinterestedly, the country was moving on and a rump of sad old men were getting left behind.

Socially the country has virtually no interest in the things which vex the Daily Mail.

By contrast they DO have a great deal of interest in how to make ends meet, to feed the kids, fill the car, and pay the energy bills. Compared to that whether a person wishes to call themselves Sheila or Shaun is of no relevance or interest.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,019
    I see the BBC news website can barely contain its glee over the Australian Labor victory this morning.

Two leading articles, the second of which says politics will be greener, more feminine and more emphatically Australian before calling Morrison a small-T Trump.

And people say this organisation has no bias.

I see the BBC news website can barely contain its glee over the Australian Labor victory this morning.

Two leading articles, the second of which says politics will be greener, more feminine and more emphatically Australian before calling Morrison a small-T Trump.

And people say this organisation has no bias.

Or could it be you?
    Taz said:

Foxy said:

LEICESTER IS BACK!

For the time being. Same with Newcastle yesterday. When the cost of living crisis truly bites hospitality will be devastated. Discretionary spend will fall off a cliff.
    Yes, probably. Though quite a few have saved a fair bit over lockdown, what with no holidays and the like, so have a bit of a cushion. Not everyone of course.

Economically, things are never as good as they seem, nor as bad as they seem. I think the external inflationary pressures will pass fairly quickly.
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Did you talk about Brexit?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Not terribly rare, although they like specific places - round here usually limestone or lime rich.

I spotted a Long-eared owl this time last year which I think is one of my rarest UK sightings. I suppose the Golden Eagle in the Highlands was rarer still.

My Pauper Pug moth has been confirmed as the first ever recorded in Devon. But there is a subspecies of a moth that has its entire world population on one sand bar in Cornwall. That's pretty rare!
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

the Horror that is Woke

I note that Australia has just booted out the right. I suspect, fairly strongly, that voters are turning left as usually happens during an economic downturn which the Right have failed to stem.

The cost of living crisis is going to do for the Conservatives but the likelihood, or inevitability according to the Telegraph, of recession will really screw them. Hence why I think a landslide defeat is on the cards.

Appealing to culture wars in a time of economic crisis is a well-worn tactic. It might have worked in Germany in the 1930s but recent history suggests it won't now.
    Good morning

On the face of it the direction of travel is to the conservatives experiencing a heavy defeat in 24

I watch in dismay as they put their fingers in their ears and just cannot decide on how to address this cost of living crisis, as people are experiencing rising costs that are frightening them, and they need their government to be on their side, which at present they are not

The only caution I would make is that a RMT rail strike led by 3 Putin apologists paralysing the country would play into Boris's hands (or whoever is conservative leader) and at the same time Rishi comes to his senses and delivers a fair and sensible package of measures to address some of the worst effects of our current col crisis could well change the narrative
    @OldKingCole - very sorry to hear about your nasty injuries.

Rest up, and get well soon. My thoughts are with you.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 926
    Foxy said:

The other thing that I notice is that there isn't much of the current Lab/LD/Green vote that would consider voting Tory. Not much room for swingback if you take people at their word.

This is in a way another manifestation of the "uncoalitionable" theory I think -- for Lab/LD/Green their positions have enough overlap that voters who vote for one could see themselves vote for another, and that same overlap means politicians could countenance some inter-party agreement and supporters wouldn't pillory them for it. The Tories are almost an isolated grouping, and must rely on that grouping being big enough (which it might yet be).

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

My Pauper Pug moth has been confirmed as the first ever recorded in Devon. But there is a subspecies of a moth that has its entire world population on one sand bar in Cornwall. That's pretty rare!
    Wow. How stunning.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,146
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

For me, perhaps what must have been a Minke Whale sounding near our yacht in the Sound of Eigg.

Egyptian Goose also comer to think of that (though the last was nesting about 2m from the visitor centre shop at Rutland Water reserve).
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

What tickles me about your "office" is that it isn't MS Word that's open but a vanilla forum discussion thread for this site. #workhardplayhard

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

the Horror that is Woke

The only caution I would make is that a RMT rail strike led by 3 Putin apologists paralysing the country would play into Boris's hands (or whoever is conservative leader) and at the same time Rishi comes to his senses and delivers a fair and sensible package of measures to address some of the worst effects of our current col crisis could well change the narrative
    Yes I totally agree with you about this.

As a Left-leaner the thought of a national rail strike fills me with political dread, for the very reason you suggest.

It could play right into Boris' hands.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Foxy said:

Yes, one of the issues.

I haven't looked at the recent polls in detail, but earlier in the year the dominant feature was that a disproportionate fraction of the Tory 2019 vote was telling pollsters that they didn't know who they would vote for. You can get quite a bit of swingback just from these voters reluctantly being prodded into Tory-voting action to stop the onward march of woke. You wouldn't need anyone currently saying they would vote for an opposition party to change their mind.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,146

Oh dear, do recover soon and stay as cheerful as you usually do ...

Leon said:

Heathener said:

What tickles me about your "office" is that it isn't MS Word that's open but a vanilla forum discussion thread for this site. #workhardplayhard
    Tbf it’s a Sunday, and even international travelling flint knappers are allowed down time.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    edited May 2022
    Cyclefree said:

Heathener said:

We have a pair that nest nearby. It's a real delight watching the parents training their youngsters to hunt....
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973

The red bull long run pace looks
    Ominous - the Ferraris were chewing through tyres.

I’d put a wager on the one of the Mercedes getting a podium. Seem to be back in the game (albeit too late for this years championship, but does show their concept not to be a dud)
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited May 2022
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

There's a plant that has a committee dedicated to keeping its location secret, believe it or not. It is a bit less fraught now as it has been propagated but there used to be someone in a hut watching it 24/7 when it was flowering.

If you want to see something rare in the UK take a trip to the Yorkshire coast to see the northern hemisphere's only known albatross. They might not be rare in the global scheme of things but it will save you a trip to the Falklands!

Fantastic to watch it skimming the waves (if you are lucky). It hangs out with the local gannets at Bempton.
    edited May 2022
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

the Horror that is Woke

Yes you're on the Woke left and I'm on the non-Woke right, but for all your loudly avowed good intentions and self-regarding progressive values, the weird thing is that I am obviously nicer than you

eg there is no way I would join the board of a morning and make some random, tiny, aimless yet spiteful aside about a poster not even present. Simply wouldn't occur to me. Not in my nature.

Yet it is in yours. Something to ponder, I suggest

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Yep that's my view too. And it was certainly the case back in 1992-7 when John Major came out with all his Back to Basics guff.

Quietly, almost disinterestedly, the country was moving on and a rump of sad old men were getting left behind.

Socially the country has virtually no interest in the things which vex the Daily Mail.

By contrast they DO have a great deal of interest in how to make ends meet, to feed the kids, fill the car, and pay the energy bills. Compared to that whether a person wishes to call themselves Sheila or Shaun is of no relevance or interest.
    The last point was why Major won in 1992 though. Even although we had come through a very hard recession people still believed that the Tories were economically competent and were far less sure about Kinnock. It was after that reputation for competence was destroyed on Black Wednesday and the Blair/Brown team went on their charm offensive to the City that the Tories were left nowhere else to go.

I was in hospital for quite a bit of the run up to that election and saw much more daytime TV than I normally would. Major was very, very good at answering questions with enough technical detail to show his knowledge as a previous Chancellor. Kinnock meant well but his answers came across as vacuous. Even the unemployed gave the Tories a fair share of the vote on the basis that they were more likely to increase employment.

Boris, of course, doesn't have anything like that technical knowledge and blusters like Kinnock. He may come to regret undermining Rishi with the public. But Labour still have to seal the deal. I don't think that they have yet.
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

the Horror that is Woke

Yes I totally agree with you about this.

As a Left-leaner the thought of a national rail strike fills me with political dread, for the very reason you suggest.

It could play right into Boris' hands.
    The problem is that the three RMT leaders are Putin apologists and easily identified as such therefore providing a gift to Boris and a nightmare for labour
    edited May 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

The cousinfucker shades are déclassé for an Internation Man of No Mystery. Get some Persols or something.
    lol! Cousinfucker? I'm Cornish. We like to keep it much closer in the family

As for the shades, I lose a set a month (seriously) so I buy them from supermarkets, for about £5. I'm not the narcissistic label-flaunting type, obvs
    Betting Post

F1: backed Russell to win hs group at 3.8 (Sainz, Perez, Hamilton). He starts 4th, ahead of the latter two and behind Sainz.

https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2022/05/spain-pre-race-2022.html

Also contained in my blog is a short ramble about the slightly counter-intuitive odds on Verstappen to lead lap 1 and Leclerc to win the race (which makes me think the latter is tempting).
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    Foxy said:

Lots of hares around my way, more than I have seen for some years, but alas the mole has returned to my garden.
    A hare ran along the road as we were heading out to dinner last Tuesday at a pleasant country pub about five miles away. Hadn't seen one for ages.

We had a mole in our garden for a while at our former house. Tried all sorts to get rid of it, in vain. Eventually the cat caught it.
    Played with it for a bit, as cats do, with my wife urging 'kill, kill'!

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

the Horror that is Woke

Good morning

On the face of it the direction of travel is to the conservatives experiencing a heavy defeat in 24

I watch in dismay as they put their fingers in their ears and just cannot decide on how to address this cost of living crisis, as people are experiencing rising costs that are frightening them, and they need their government to be on their side, which at present they are not

By 2024 (and remember: the election could be as late as January 2025) the Conservatives will have been in power over 14 years - that's longer than New Labour were, which felt like a very long time, and who governed during a period of far more benign conditions and looked invincible for much of it.

Eventually, in any sensibly functioning democracy, you run out of road. But Boris has certainly pressed the pedal to the floor and careered the car to the end of the track heedless of collateral damage along the way.
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

the Horror that is Woke

Yes you're on the Woke left and I'm on the non-Woke right, but for all your loudly avowed good intentions and self-regarding progressive values, the weird thing is that I am obviously nicer than you

eg there is no way I would join the board of a morning and make some random, tiny, aimless yet spiteful aside about a poster not even present. Simply wouldn't occur to me. Not in my nature.

Yet it is in yours. Something to ponder, I suggest

I've already said sorry for having a dig and do so again.

However, @Leon, to describe yourself as a saint on this forum really is to stretch things a little far. Some of your (mostly late night) rants can be really vicious and full of invective in my opinion. And you did precisely what you say you wouldn't the other day: you had a nasty dig at me, even using the @ sign, when I wasn't even on the forum. So please no moral high ground.

You are no nicer than I but we cause a spark of electricity because of our very different perspectives on life.

And your travel blogs irritate me a) because they're boastful and b) because I'm jealous.

Actually, the real problem for me is that I've spent much of my life travelling and right now I can't so it's more deep envy. And vicarious annoyance.

etc.
    Mr. L, yep, Hamilton's been behind Russell most of the time this year.

Verstappen's record so far is win or DNF, so you may be right. But passing here is hard. Raikkonen had a clearly faster car in 2016 but Verstappen kept the Finn behind him for 40 odds laps (to secure my 251 winning tip).
This discussion has been closed.