Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A UK recession in 2022? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 46,218
    If Russia did take out the UK with a first strike, I would expect us to respond with Trident, just because. Revenge. Fuck em

How much damage could one Trident sub do? Presumably we could wipe out Moscow and St Pete’s, but beyond that? A few more cities? Killing maybe 40-50m?

Russia would survive, albeit fucked, unlike Britain which would be a radioactive desert for centuries

However, if Putin was mad enough to do this, then I expect America would launch missiles too, trying to take out the rest of Russia’s nuclear capability from the getgo, the Chinese might possibly join in, and the French - targeting Russia as a menace to the world

So on the whole, taking everything into account, I put the chances of Russia destroying Britain in the next few weeks at no more than 40%, which is kind of reassuring
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    TimT said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Are we actually above pre-covid levels of output yet? If not it seems silly to be talking about a new recession when we aren't out of the previous one.

Even if it does meet the technical definition.

Hey, @FrankBooth was it you who was recently in Albania?

I may need some recommendations as I might be going there shortly
    Er..... no it was not me. I've never been near there in my life!
    Apols!

A PB-er was deffo there. I recall reading their travelogue with interest

*chin stroke*
    John wossisname, the battle reenactor, I think.
    I am currently back in another A, Azerbaijan. Not that helpful re Tirana etc...
    John Lilburne! Apols to JL for memory lapse.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,673
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

FPT, good point on whether the takeaway was necessary. Hadn't considered that before

They were not fasting at a monastery , they had been working all day , only Tories would begrudge them some sustenance.
    If I'd spent the whole day with SKS I would certainly need a drink.
    David, more than one as well
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,151

Isn't the problem with Doctor Who now that in the world where we expect (and get) movie level VFX for sci-fi and fantasy tv shows, Doctor Who looks hugely dated and rather amateur hour. That was also the criticism with that around the world reboot, it was filmed on the cheap in a street in Romania, trying to claim to be loads of different exotic countries.

Doctor Who has never had the most up to date special effects at any point in its history. When its being popular (60's, 70s, late 2000's-early 2010's) it's been because it had good storylines and a likeable Doctor + companions.
  • Isn't the problem with Doctor Who now that in the world where we expect (and get) movie level VFX for sci-fi and fantasy tv shows, Doctor Who looks hugely dated and rather amateur hour. That was also the criticism with that around the world reboot, it was filmed on the cheap in a street in Romania, trying to claim to be loads of different exotic countries.

Doctor Who has never had the most up to date special effects at any point in its history. When its being popular (60's, 70s, late 2000's-early 2010's) it's been because it had good storylines and a likeable Doctor + companions.
    When RTD left it went to shit
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

FPT, good point on whether the takeaway was necessary. Hadn't considered that before

They were not fasting at a monastery , they had been working all day , only Tories would begrudge them some sustenance.
    That would mean that you were 'partying', of course.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2022

Isn't the problem with Doctor Who now that in the world where we expect (and get) movie level VFX for sci-fi and fantasy tv shows, Doctor Who looks hugely dated and rather amateur hour. That was also the criticism with that around the world reboot, it was filmed on the cheap in a street in Romania, trying to claim to be loads of different exotic countries.

True, and yes the story is upmost, but at the time there wasn't the level of competition on tv. It was the movies could do it better, that's why you paid especially to go and see the likes of Star Wars. That super special experience of incredible effects.

However, now viewers expectations are much much higher, especially kids up have grown up on seeing the masses of superhero stuff that has been popular recently. Past 10 years in particular the expectation level with tits and dragons, all the Marvel tv shows etc, its just expected. Janky special effects and fight scenes etc don't fly like they used to.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Leon said:

If Russia did take out the UK with a first strike, I would expect us to respond with Trident, just because. Revenge. Fuck em

How much damage could one Trident sub do? Presumably we could wipe out Moscow and St Pete’s, but beyond that? A few more cities? Killing maybe 40-50m?

Russia would survive, albeit fucked, unlike Britain which would be a radioactive desert for centuries

However, if Putin was mad enough to do this, then I expect America would launch missiles too, trying to take out the rest of Russia’s nuclear capability from the getgo, the Chinese might possibly join in, and the French - targeting Russia as a menace to the world

So on the whole, taking everything into account, I put the chances of Russia destroying Britain in the next few weeks at no more than 40%, which is kind of reassuring

Personally, I think the risk is below the level where guesstimates of probability are the slightest bit useful. And yet it is still a genuinely worrying 3-4 weeks ahead of us.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Well I never.

Rishi Sunak has been forced to outsource key aspects of the Treasury’s post-Brexit legal work after admitting that his department does not have the resources necessary to unleash an overhaul of financial regulation.

Hogan Lovells, a top City law firm, has been brought in to advise the Government on everything from regulatory equivalence and crypto assets, to trade deals and the powers and duties of the Bank of England and the City watchdog.

The Treasury admitted that its in-house legal team was “unable to support the demand” the department has for legal services as it reshapes Britain’s financial services regulation post-Brexit, according to official documents.

It said this was owing to “a period of continued change as the UK consolidates its position, both internationally and domestically, following its exit from the EU”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/05/08/rishi-sunak-admits-outsourcing-key-aspects-post-brexit-legal/

No fucking shit. The Treasury is completely fucking useless.
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Just not with him....
    Leon said:

48 nukes could be launched, Russia would be a wasteland.
  • @MaxPB are you keeping well?
    TimT said:

Leon said:

Personally, I think the risk is below the level where guesstimates of probability are the slightest bit useful. And yet it is still a genuinely worrying 3-4 weeks ahead of us.
    Sure, but I’ve done the numbers

The chances of the UK being hit by a devastating nuclear first strike, melting or irradiating 94% of the population are actually less than half. So there’s no cause for alarm
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    MaxPB said:

Well I never.

Rishi Sunak has been forced to outsource key aspects of the Treasury’s post-Brexit legal work after admitting that his department does not have the resources necessary to unleash an overhaul of financial regulation.

Hogan Lovells, a top City law firm, has been brought in to advise the Government on everything from regulatory equivalence and crypto assets, to trade deals and the powers and duties of the Bank of England and the City watchdog.

The Treasury admitted that its in-house legal team was “unable to support the demand” the department has for legal services as it reshapes Britain’s financial services regulation post-Brexit, according to official documents.

It said this was owing to “a period of continued change as the UK consolidates its position, both internationally and domestically, following its exit from the EU”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/05/08/rishi-sunak-admits-outsourcing-key-aspects-post-brexit-legal/

No fucking shit. The Treasury is completely fucking useless.
    Once they’ve finished at the Treasury, maybe they can start on the Home Office.
    Are Everton somehow going to escape the drop despite being absolutely utter trash?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,610

Isn't the problem with Doctor Who now that in the world where we expect (and get) movie level VFX for sci-fi and fantasy tv shows, Doctor Who looks hugely dated and rather amateur hour. That was also the criticism with that around the world in 80 days reboot, it was filmed on the cheap in a street in Romania, trying to claim to be loads of different exotic countries.

It’s about a character. Which requires the cheapest special effect - acting.

Oh and good script writing.

Nah, the Matt Smith/early Moffat era did perfectly well amongst general audiences and is liked by fans. The show only started going downhill around 2015 when it was clear Moffat couldn't be bothered anymore.

Scott_xP said:

I assume that all the anti-woke culture warriors who lost their minds over Jodie Whittaker being the Doctor are delighted to see the role given to a man again.
    https://twitter.com/seanjonesqc/status/1523282002568302594

To be fair, there was plenty of debate as to whether there should be a female doctor prior to Whittaker getting the gig. Don't recall any debate about whether the Doctor should always be played by a white bloke or not, by comparison. There was a rumour for one that Chiwetel Ejiofor was in the running to place Tennant before Matt Smith got cast.
    The Doctor worship stuff is what annoys most real fans.

The Doctor is a complex character who has made some seriously dubious decisions - particularly by todays standards. Exterminating intelligent species, for example.

“You would make a good Dalek.”
    Open to a female doctor. Particularly as I very much enjoyed Michelle Gomez's take on the Master.
    Unfortunately, Whittaker was crap.
    I think it was scripts and direction - which simply didn’t suit her acting. Then again they were also crap in a general sense.
    edited May 2022

Isn't the problem with Doctor Who now that in the world where we expect (and get) movie level VFX for sci-fi and fantasy tv shows, Doctor Who looks hugely dated and rather amateur hour. That was also the criticism with that around the world in 80 days reboot, it was filmed on the cheap in a street in Romania, trying to claim to be loads of different exotic countries.

It’s about a character. Which requires the cheapest special effect - acting.

Oh and good script writing.
    I think that is true, but Around the World in 80 days had well respected actors and a classic story, but didn't go down well at all....because it looked cheap and unrealistic. Everybody has seen what these far flung countries really look like now, trying to dress a street in Romania with a few different props doesn't cut it, especially compared to the industry standards where Disney+ have their virtual stage that totally fools you they are in the desert, the rainforest, etc.
    edited May 2022
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

I’ve just been checking Google. One Trident sub full of warheads does not mean 48 entirely vaporised cities. It means

“Our estimates, which are supported by other studies, predict that one Trident submarine with forty 100kT warheads could cause at least 10 million casualties and as many as 20 million in 10-20 large cities and hit a further 20 military targets such as bases and command bunkers. [9] Trident missiles have a range of 7,000 miles. This, combined with the submarine’s ability to sail into any ocean area, enables it to strike targets anywhere across the globe within around 30 minutes of launch. [10]”

Which is frankly a bit feeble

On the other hand

“If used, the nuclear weapons carried by just one Trident submarine could cause such huge climatic disruption that global food supplies would be at risk and the survival of human civilisation itself would be threatened.”

Which is much more encouraging. Hmm.

Info here:

https://www.sgr.org.uk/resources/uk-nuclear-weapons-catastrophe-making

@MaxPB are you keeping well?

Not bad, making a curry for the evening and home made naan.

Yourself?
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

I’ve just been checking Google. One Trident sub full of warheads does not mean 48 entirely vaporised cities. It means

“Our estimates, which are supported by other studies, predict that one Trident submarine with forty 100kT warheads could cause at least 10 million casualties and as many as 20 million in 10-20 large cities and hit a further 20 military targets such as bases and command bunkers. [9] Trident missiles have a range of 7,000 miles. This, combined with the submarine’s ability to sail into any ocean area, enables it to strike targets anywhere across the globe within around 30 minutes of launch. [10]”

On the other hand

“If used, the nuclear weapons carried by just one Trident submarine could cause such huge climatic disruption that global food supplies would be at risk and the survival of human civilisation itself would be threatened.”

Info here:

The sad part about this is that for the next 20 years the UK (and France) will now invest time and money in developing more powerful nuclear weapons that we didn't need to bother with, just to ensure no one fucks with us.
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

I assume that all the anti-woke culture warriors who lost their minds over Jodie Whittaker being the Doctor are delighted to see the role given to a man again.

I don’t know what that dick on Twitter is on about. The reaction has been incredibly positive from fandom so far.
    It's a Scott_xP retweet, ain't nobody go no time for that.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,227
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Not sure I’ll be able to cope with a Doctor who has previously done sex scenes.

Love him in Sex Education.
    Just wait till they give the job to an AI.
    "I am NOT a name! I am a free bot!"
    edited May 2022
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

On the other hand

Info here:

The sad part about this is that for the next 20 years the UK (and France) will now invest time and money in developing more powerful nuclear weapons that we didn't need to bother with, just to ensure no one fucks with us.
    We’d need to drop at least a couple each on Moscow and St Petersburg. One each on the big Siberian cities, Novosibirsk, Yekaterinburg, etc. Also a few on major ports: Murmansk, Vladivostok, Crimea (ironically). Then major transport and military hubs

We’d probably have a couple of warheads “going spare” at the end to so we could also do Glasgow “accidentally” sorting out the SNP/Scottish problem, although Putin would probably have done that already, so maybe Dublin for old time’s sake. Or Lyon? Frankfurt? Buenos Aires?

We’re kinda spoilt for choice, which is nice, and makes a refreshing change

Taz said:

Taz said:

Old friend of mine was one of the early writers and editors on Dr Who. Died just before the pandemic and I went to the funeral.
    It was a winter morning so the sun was therefore low in the sky and as the coffin was put in the grave a shaft of sunlight shone across the river (it was across from Dovercourt) and right across the grave.
    Almost like the path to the Land of Youth.

Donald Tosh ?
    Yes.
    He was script editor to John Wiles. They had a vision for the show and were executing it. It’s sad a.of of their work is missing.

I think their time coincided with William Hartnell becoming somewhat difficult.

His work is still fondly remembered by fans.

I wasn’t there, I remember his sad passing being mentioned and discussed at the time. He had contributed to some of the dvd range with interviews.
    He's responsible for The Massacre, which is one of the very darkest themed episodes, missing and also relies on William Hartnell playing two roles slightly differently.

I've only really caught up Hartnell episodes through the books but Tosh's run coincides with some of the darker episodes thus far (although the Target of The Myth Makers is an interesting read ... ). I'd go so far as to say the Doctor 'loses' in three stories in a row - companions mutilated, murdered and mutated, he barely escapes the tutular massacre himself iirc.

• SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,227
    TimT said:

Amongst all the dross on Twitter are some very useful information and analysis sources. And then there's the rare gem who makes me belly laugh out loud sitting alone in my hotel room:

J-L Cauvin
    @JLCauvin
    ·
    33m
    The media is sharing that Jill Biden visited Ukraine.

And yet they are silent about Melania Trump starting a channel on YouPorn.

The pro Biden bias is disgraceful.

Well, the 3rd Mrs 45 after all IS a step-mother.

BTW, Happy Mothers Day (in USA) congratulations to all you PB mothers out there - you know who you are!

Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother - Jerry Jeff Walker
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcBOcwgb4OA
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715

Taz said:

Taz said:

Old friend of mine was one of the early writers and editors on Dr Who. Died just before the pandemic and I went to the funeral.
    It was a winter morning so the sun was therefore low in the sky and as the coffin was put in the grave a shaft of sunlight shone across the river (it was across from Dovercourt) and right across the grave.

Donald Tosh ?
    Yes.
    He was script editor to John Wiles. They had a vision for the show and were executing it. It’s sad a.of of their work is missing.

I wasn’t there, I remember his sad passing being mentioned and discussed at the time. He had contributed to some of the dvd range with interviews.
    He's responsible for The Massacre, which is one of the very darkest themed episodes, missing and also relies on William Hartnell playing two roles slightly differently.

I've only really caught up Hartnell episodes through the books but Tosh's run coincides with some of the darker episodes thus far (although the Target of The Myth Makers is an interesting read ... ). I'd go so far as to say the Doctor 'loses' in three stories in a row - companions mutilated, murdered and mutated, he barely escapes the tutular massacre himself iirc.

And yet in life the Donald Tosh I knew was a kindly, gentle and polite man.
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

On the other hand

Info here:

Forget the exaggerated garbage about a handful of nukes killing the world.

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

The purpose of the U.K. nukes is to hold the Russian leadership at risk - kill them in their bunkers.

Secondarily, they could be used to take out various choke points in the Russian economy. So no rail distribution of goods, no harbours for import, no oil and gas production.

IIRC they was an estimate in the Cold War that 100 nukes could reduce the carrying capacity of Russia for population by 90%.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,800
    Taz said:

mwadams said:

Taz said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

You have to be enormously tragic to give the tiniest iota of a nano-fuck as to “who plays the next Doctor Who”

I know PB is a safe space for the tragic (I include myself in this) but I don’t think any of us are THAT sad
    My other half (amongst other things) writes Doctor Who spin off stuff for BBC books etc, so we're quite interested.
    Big Finish too ?
    Yup. She's got a Queen Victoria Torchwood out this month, I think? I confess to losing track of what's written, what's made, and what's out!
    It’s nigh on impossible. Big Finish are prolific. They have been making original dr who,stories since the late nineties. Not bad for a group,of,guys who started off making audio stories as the show was off air.
    I enjoyed some of the videos they did interviewing the cast of Dr.Who, Blakes 7 etc as fans, but still asking interesting questions. The one where they interview Jacqueline Pearce was especially entertaining - quite the character in real life. I admit I was a little weak at the knees myself...
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    @dixiedean

One team playing like relegation fodder, and it wasn't Everton. Couple of good saves by Pickford, player of the match. This is the away end:

Pubs bars and restaurants busy at the moment!

They will get a lot quieter Q4 as the prices keep going up, fuel bills become more of a factor and pay and pension rises generally don't occur until Q1/Spring.

My favourite pub has just closed it's kitchen down saying it was uneconomic after the fuel price rises.
    Actor Dennis Waterman, known for his roles in TV shows like Minder, New Tricks and The Sweeney, has died, his family have said. He was 74.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,702

Nah, the Matt Smith/early Moffat era did perfectly well amongst general audiences and is liked by fans. The show only started going downhill around 2015 when it was clear Moffat couldn't be bothered anymore.
    The first Smith season was fine the rest was poor. Moffat was more invested in Sherlock and other stuff. If he couldn’t commit the BBC should have moved him on.
    Leon said:

Are we actually above pre-covid levels of output yet? If not it seems silly to be talking about a new recession when we aren't out of the previous one.

Even if it does meet the technical definition.

Hey, @FrankBooth was it you who was recently in Albania?

I may need some recommendations as I might be going there shortly
    Last night I watched an episode of Rick Stein swanning about Albania https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0667qf6/episodes/guide if all else fails.

In rather tangential news, the local Albanian 'dial-a-deal' coke dealers here have, apparently, started cutting it with Fentanyl. Which is nice of them...
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    Leon said:

If Russia launched, America would too. They cannot wait to see where the Russian missiles are heading.

We all go together when we go...
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Leon said:

We’d need to drop at least a couple each on Moscow and St Petersburg. One each on the big Siberian cities, Novosibirsk, Yekaterinburg, etc. Also a few on major ports: Murmansk, Vladivostok, Crimea (ironically). Then major transport and military hubs

We’d probably have a couple of warheads “going spare” at the end to so we could also do Glasgow “accidentally” sorting out the SNP/Scottish problem, although Putin would probably have done that already, so maybe Dublin for old time’s sake. Or Lyon? Frankfurt? Buenos Aires?

We’re kinda spoilt for choice, which is nice, and makes a refreshing change

I don't derive a huge amount of comfort from the fact in the last minutes of my life, in ashen-faced terror, rushing round trying to build a shelter which will instantly catch fire when the bomb detonates, that the citizens of Murmansk, Irkutsk, Dublin, Glasgow, Camden, Kusadasi or indeed anywhere else will shortly follow me in death.

Perhaps that's just me...
    ohnotnow said:

Pubs bars and restaurants busy at the moment!

They will get a lot quieter Q4 as the prices keep going up, fuel bills become more of a factor and pay and pension rises generally don't occur until Q1/Spring.

My favourite pub has just closed it's kitchen down saying it was uneconomic after the fuel price rises.
    My hospitality anecdote from the cafe in the Barking Road (prices up 20% across the board) is it's not fuel costs but things like cooking oil, tomatoes and some other items which have skyrocketed.

Now, there are some items you can do without in a kitchen (even if that means some menu items have to be withdrawn) but cooking oil and tomatoes are a bit more widely used.

Maybe lard will make a comeback - in some places it's never gone away....

Taz said:

Taz said:

Donald Tosh ?
    Yes.

I’d argue he wins in dalek masterplan although the consequences are the deaths of Sara, Bret and Katarina. The time destructor works and he escaped from that but seriously weaker.

Compared to the light and fluffy stuff earlier a darker turn was not a bad thing.

I’ve never thought of myth makers as anything other than a comedy in the vein of the romans.

Have you seen the reconstructions ?

Actor Dennis Waterman, known for his roles in TV shows like Minder, New Tricks and The Sweeney, has died, his family have said. He was 74.

😥😥😥😥
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    SKS cancels Inst for Govt speech and presser tomorrow, no reason given, says r2 news

Bizarre that a week ago I would have said Sunak was likely to be the biggest political implosion of a lifetime
    Dennis Waterman RIP
    Taz said:

The first Smith season was fine the rest was poor. Moffat was more invested in Sherlock and other stuff. If he couldn’t commit the BBC should have moved him on.
    Harsh, think the Capaldi stuff is generally good (no really bad episodes) and the very last season is excellent.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    malcolmg said:

Farooq said:

Dura_Ace said:

Farooq said:

Yeah, I'd like to hear Malky's view on it too.
    It never ceases to strike me how effective Sturgeon is. I've said in the past that I admire her. A measure of her success is the way the Conservatives were over the moon with the 2017 results and now in 2022 Labour also very pleased at wresting 2nd place back off them. When your opponents are pleased with second, it says a lot.

Salmond is just the latest in a long line of politicians who've tried to take her down and ended up in a crumpled heap instead. Whether you like her or not, her electoral record is astonishing.

EDIT
    Too slow, Malky's thoughts now apparent.

NS is a political colossus, no doubt, but her success is built on the foundation of conspicuously wanting, but not actually doing much to get, independence. While that approach has been electorally successful for a very long time it must run out of steam at some point.

It's one of the reasons I think Johnson would be happy to offer an indyref to the SNP as the price of confidence and support. He knows NS doesn't really want one and he'd believe, with some justification, that he could win it anyway.

The other reason he might do it is that he doesn't give a fuck about Scotland. That country being a minor subset of the many things that aren't Boris Johnson that he doesn't give a fuck about.
    I hear it so much it makes me doubt myself, but I'm still quite convinced that this is a mistaken view. I detect a real eagerness for a vote from the SNP leadership, but they've put the lid on it because of Covid. Now the locals are out of the way, we'll see whether I'm right or wrong. I expect a big move before the summer is out. If we get to September and it's all tumbleweed, you're right and I'm wrong.

EDIT: rethinking slightly, by the end of the conference, when is that, October?
    would you like a wager on it
    No thanks
    edited May 2022
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Donald Tosh ?
    Yes.

I’d argue he wins in dalek masterplan although the consequences are the deaths of Sara, Bret and Katarina. The time destructor works and he escaped from that but seriously weaker.

Compared to the light and fluffy stuff earlier a darker turn was not a bad thing.

I’ve never thought of myth makers as anything other than a comedy in the vein of the romans.

Targets and audio, I'm afraid. There's a random episode in Web of Fear made up of audio and snap shots, which really jars.

A comedy in which nearly everybody dies ...

Comedy is 'a space helmet for a cow?'
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Foxy said:

@dixiedean

One team playing like relegation fodder, and it wasn't Everton. Couple of good saves by Pickford, player of the match. This is the away end:

Yep. We've gone from 5 points adrift to a point clear in a week.
    Watford away in midweek, then Brentford and Palace at home next.
    Still not there, but it's looking a lot brighter.
    Pickford has been immense all season. Player of the season by a street.

Taz said:

Harsh, think the Capaldi stuff is generally good (no really bad episodes) and the very last season is excellent.

Taz said:

It’s the flagship show yet the show runner couldn’t commit to it. Being so disjointed and irregularly scheduled didn’t help either.

Taz said:

Um, Kill the Moon? The Return of Doctor Mysterio? That dreadful Ice Warriors story set on Mars? Capaldi is my favourite New Who Doctor, but he certainly did have some clunkers.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    edited May 2022
    Afternoon all.

Can anyone recommend a decent source for a simple investment agreement - smallish investment in exchange for a minority share of a new business, with an aligned share of profits?

Is this an "ask your accountant" one?

Thanks.

Taz said:

Um, Kill the Moon? The Return of Doctor Mysterio? That dreadful Ice Warriors story set on Mars? Capaldi is my favourite New Who Doctor, but he certainly did have some clunkers.
    Of course its a matter of tastes but, for example, Kill the Moon is really good and atmospheric for maybe the first 3/4 but has a truly bizarre ending.
    IshmaelZ said:

SKS cancels Inst for Govt speech and presser tomorrow, no reason given, says r2 news

Bizarre that a week ago I would have said Sunak was likely to be the biggest political implosion of a lifetime

oh dear
    how sad
    never mind.
    edited May 2022

Taz said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Donald Tosh ?
    Yes.

Targets and audio, I'm afraid. There's a random episode in Web of Fear made up of audio and snap shots, which really jars.

A comedy in which nearly everybody dies ...

Comedy is 'a space helmet for a cow?'
    Dennis Spooner, who wrote Myth Makers was certainly one for more comic storylines and there are some great comic lines in Myth Makers. The Romans is a comic story yet Nero torches the whole of Rome at the end of it.

The story the space helmet for a cow features in, time meddler (Donald Tosh’s first IIRC) features an implied gang rape of Alethea Charltons character by invading vikings.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    IshmaelZ said:

Dennis Waterman RIP

That makes me feel old.
    edited May 2022

Taz said:

The Empress of Mars is the ice warriors one. There was also the Gatiss one with Reece Shearsmith which was shocking.

Most were mediocre at best. His first was good and the ambiguity over how the clockwork man fell out of the airship was intruiging. They never developed that.
    edited May 2022
    Moffat's weakness is that he thinks the questions/mysteries are interesting in and of themselves.

Which is true - not knowing anything before the moment the Dr steps foot into a faulty TARDIS is infinitely more interesting that any fan theory - LOOKING AT YOU CHIBNALL - BUT some of the questions absolutely need answers.

So, by the time you hit Time of the Doctor, you had so many unresolved plot threads and elements that no story could begin to hope to tie them together.

The last year or so of Matt Smith was also hindered by cast changes beyond the show's control. Karen Gillan left earlier than planned, Jemma Coleman was meant to leave at least twice before she did (most notably in that Santa episode, when Faye Marsay was approached about being the companion), I think even Matt Smith made a U-turn on staying longer.

Taz said:

Taz said:

Donald Tosh ?
    Yes.

Did not mean to imply otherwise.

I hope he was aware that his work was enjoyed long, long after it was first broadcast.
  • Starmer meeting Durham police instead of talk tomorrow?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

There's a funny review of Sherlock online, saying why it's such a terrible show and firmly blaming Moffat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkoGBOs5ecM

And it was a *terrible* show.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    IshmaelZ said:

This is an existential crisis for Labour. If Sir Keir goes (and I think it's more probable than not) then what really is the point anymore? Their leaders are getting worse and worse - the last one being a fringe far-left anti-Semitic lunatic - and now they're competing with the known crook and chancer Boris Johnson on the Covid-lockdown-criminality-hypocrisy stakes. Utterly risible.

Taz said:

Taz said:

Donald Tosh ?
    Yes.

Did not mean to imply otherwise.

I hope he was aware that his work was enjoyed long, long after it was first broadcast.
    He was. He did participate in the convention circuit and the classic dvd range. He had done interviews for fan and fan club publications going back to the early eighties.
    Goodness, there're lots of doom- and fear-mongers on here today.

Here's a link that explains why it is unlikely that Russia will use nukes over Ukraine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxOO0hCCSk4
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    So...

Streeting, Reeves, (Abbott as a proxy for someone on the left - Corbyn?), Nandy. Any more? Interesting that Rayner hasn't featured.

Burnham has presumably blown it again!
    Looking forward to Ncuti Gatwa as the next Doctor.

Contrary to some of the prickly old gammons on here, I've enjoyed almost all the Jodie Whittaker stories - just as I did Capaldi, Smith, Tennant, Eccleston et al. It's enjoyable escapist nonsense - not to be taken too seriously.

I know some of the earlier Jodie stories irritated the anti-woke mob but I thought they told perfectly good stories but let's be honest, a good morality tale with "good" triumphing over "evil" is all most people want - after all, it's what Bond films are as well.

Looking forward to the specials and the regeneration - let's hope we can get some of the old Doctors back (a good multi-Doctor humdinger with a few Daleks, Cybermen, the Master and a tearful send off for a companion or two).

There's a funny review of Sherlock online, saying why it's such a terrible show and firmly blaming Moffat.

The pilot was not too bad but, yes, it was awful. All very smug and self congratulatory.

Glad to see Una Stubbs keeping the coffee table clean though.
    stodge said:

Contrary to some of the prickly old gammons on here, I've enjoyed almost all the Jodie Whittaker stories - just as I did Capaldi, Smith, Tennant, Eccleston et al. It's enjoyable escapist nonsense - not to be taken too seriously.

I know some of the earlier Jodie stories irritated the anti-woke mob but I thought they told perfectly good stories but let's be honest, a good morality tale with "good" triumphing over "evil" is all most people want - after all, it's what Bond films are as well.

Looking forward to the specials and the regeneration - let's hope we can get some of the old Doctors back (a good multi-Doctor humdinger with a few Daleks, Cybermen, the Master and a tearful send off for a companion or two).

State of this ?

Not liking the Whittaker era is analogous to being a prickly old gammon.

You should be on gallifreybase 😂😂😂😂
    Taz said:

The pilot was not too bad but, yes, it was awful. All very smug and self congratulatory.

;)

We bought the DVD of the Sherlock first series and the pilot episode was really good. But they totally slaughtered it for the released first episode - a point I'm glad the guy in the link above made.

Elementary is a far superior modern recharacterisation of the Sherlock Holmes stories.
    If this isn't the place where someone might be able to help me, I'd be shocked.

I have some software I use to support my teaching. It got given to me when I started as an .exe file, a .dat file (which I can open, read, edit and contains model data that the .exe file reads), three .dll files and four .bpl files (both sets can be opened in notepad but are gibberish).

Is there any way I can get into the original programme script given this?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Omnium said:

So...

Streeting, Reeves, (Abbott as a proxy for someone on the left - Corbyn?), Nandy. Any more? Interesting that Rayner hasn't featured.

Burnham has presumably blown it again!

Raynor goes if Starmer goes.

Proxy Corbyn will Burgon surely?

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

That would mean that you were 'partying', of course.
    My standards are far higher OKC , I set the party bar much higher than 2
  • If this isn't the place where someone might be able to help me, I'd be shocked.

I have some software I use to support my teaching. It got given to me when I started as an .exe file, a .dat file (which I can open, read, edit and contains model data that the .exe file reads), three .dll files and four .bpl files (both sets can be opened in notepad but are gibberish).

Exe should open if you double click it.

DLLs are compiled code so they will be unreadable by you.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    MattW said:

Afternoon all.

Can anyone recommend a decent source for a simple investment agreement - smallish investment in exchange for a minority share of a new business, with an aligned share of profits?

Is this an "ask your accountant" one?

Thanks.

As with buying a house, or getting a divorce, there are some times when you really need a lawyer. A good firm will have a template that can be used as a basis. Whichever side writes the agreement, the other side should have their own lawyer read it too.

It’s an awful lot cheaper to do these things formally at the beginning, than to try and work out an informal agreement later if the relationship becomes acrimonious. Don’t ask me how I know this!

Here's a link that explains why it is unlikely that Russia will use nukes over Ukraine.

FWIW Lawrence Freedman doesn't think it likely as there is nothing military to be gained from it. But that is if the regime is being rational of course.

Taz said:

stodge said:

State of this ?

I like Kerblam, where she takes the side of the multi-galaxy corporation.

Or that one where she's literally complicit in letting an innocent man die.

Or that one where you can't shoot giant spiders but you can let them choke to death.

Her actual in-show politics are an absolute mess.
  • CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited May 2022
    Might have misunderstood the question.

You’d need to reverse engineer the exe to see what the code was.

Depending on the language it might be possible to interpret the DLLs with an IDE but I haven’t done this for years
    "Must let the Cybermen win because Mary Shelley wrote a book"

cut to next episode and the last seven human beings alive ...
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Recession will be unlikely as it's two consecutive quarters of economic contraction. It's more likely we see one quarter or maybe two non-consecutive quarters.

A lot depends on how well/badly Europe deals with the oncoming inflationary storm too. Domestic demand will dip over the summer but external demand may actually crash because everything that's happening in the UK is also happening all across the continent without the benefit of 5-7% pay increases and a higher disposable income starting point or the ability to live with higher average levels of credit.

If Russia, as promised on state TV, launches its vaunted “Poseidon” hypersonic nuclear torpedo into the Hebrides, causing a 200 metre high tsunami which will devastate the entire British Isles (including Ireland) leaving barely a building intact and drenching the north west of Europe in a flailing fire-storm of lethal radioactive whirlwinds, extinguishing all life above the level of microorganisms and rendering a quarter of the globe uninhabitable for 3,000 years and inviting observing aliens to vaporize the entirety of planet Earth as a threat to neighbouring solar systems then I see that as a downside risk. Definitely an economic headwind. Tricky for Boris
    Quite a lot of hyperbole on this one.

On a quick check of the two types of submarine planned to carry it, the first of one type is not due to be commissioned until 2024, and the other has been in preparation since initially around 1992 and is currently back in dry dock for reasons unknown.

Also a lot of hyperbole on the capabilities.

It may turn into something, someday.

https://www.euronews.com/next/2022/05/04/what-is-russia-s-poseidon-nuclear-drone-and-could-it-wipe-out-the-uk-in-a-radioactive-tsun
  • I think a decompiler will work for the DLLs, I didn’t mean IDE, sorry
    Taz said:

Taz said:

The Empress of Mars is the ice warriors one. There was also the Gatiss one with Reece Shearsmith which was shocking.

Most were mediocre at best. His first was good and the ambiguity over how the clockwork man fell out of the airship was intruiging. They never developed that.
    I gave up on those after the Robin Hood story. And I've watched 'The Zarbi'. More than once.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415
    any news of Croydon and its result?

Was that the story with the cyber brigadier !!

Exe runs the actual program, which plots model data and allows students to interpret 'realistically'. Model data is generated in the .dat file - and editing that does have an effect.
  • If this isn't the place where someone might be able to help me, I'd be shocked.

Exe runs the actual program, which plots model data and allows students to interpret 'realistically'. Model data is generated in the .dat file - and editing that does have an effect.
    Dat will be an input of some kind, they probably chose to write it this way for ease of export.
    Every day I wake up, here in Kusadasi, around 10am or so

I do a few hours work, in the coffee bar; then I lie in the sun, have a swim, maybe a beer or a Raki. After that I come back to my room and without fail I fall asleep for about an hour. I can’t work out why. My jet lag has gone. I’m getting plenty of sleep at night. My swim isn’t THAT energetic, and I don’t drink more than two rakis or beers

Yet off I go. Into a siesta. I wonder if it is the sound of the sea right outside. The soothing crumple of the waves, Or maybe because everything is super stress-free, so my whole metabolism has slowed down. It’s unexpected. Also rather nice, because I wake feeling deeply refreshed

Perhaps the human body is meant to sleep for an hour in the afternoon, and the Spanish were right all along?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

Does the software have a name?
    Farooq said:

malcolmg said:

Farooq said:

Dura_Ace said:

Farooq said:

Yeah, I'd like to hear Malky's view on it too.
    It never ceases to strike me how effective Sturgeon is. I've said in the past that I admire her. A measure of her success is the way the Conservatives were over the moon with the 2017 results and now in 2022 Labour also very pleased at wresting 2nd place back off them. When your opponents are pleased with second, it says a lot.

Salmond is just the latest in a long line of politicians who've tried to take her down and ended up in a crumpled heap instead. Whether you like her or not, her electoral record is astonishing.

EDIT
    Too slow, Malky's thoughts now apparent.

NS is a political colossus, no doubt, but her success is built on the foundation of conspicuously wanting, but not actually doing much to get, independence. While that approach has been electorally successful for a very long time it must run out of steam at some point.

It's one of the reasons I think Johnson would be happy to offer an indyref to the SNP as the price of confidence and support. He knows NS doesn't really want one and he'd believe, with some justification, that he could win it anyway.

The other reason he might do it is that he doesn't give a fuck about Scotland. That country being a minor subset of the many things that aren't Boris Johnson that he doesn't give a fuck about.
    I hear it so much it makes me doubt myself, but I'm still quite convinced that this is a mistaken view. I detect a real eagerness for a vote from the SNP leadership, but they've put the lid on it because of Covid. Now the locals are out of the way, we'll see whether I'm right or wrong. I expect a big move before the summer is out. If we get to September and it's all tumbleweed, you're right and I'm wrong.

EDIT: rethinking slightly, by the end of the conference, when is that, October?
    would you like a wager on it
    No thanks
    @Farooq
    We can just have "a told you so " then.
  • For exe, if it’s written in C# you can probably get it back by using reflection, C++ or otherwise you’re going to struggle. And you’re probably violating a EULA by doing so.

Unless the program is open source, in which case the code might be somewhere anyway? These sorts of programs often are?
  • No idea if other languages have reflection like C# does, I just remember doing it in that language before. Microsoft had quite a cool tool
    Leon said:

I do a few hours work, in the coffee bar; then I lie in the sun, have a swim, maybe a beer or a Raki. After that I come back to my room and without fail I fall asleep for about an hour. I can’t work out why. My jet lag has gone. I’m getting plenty of sleep at night. My swim isn’t THAT energetic, and I don’t drink more than two rakis or beers

Yet off I go. Into a siesta. I wonder if it is the sound of the sea right outside. The soothing crumple of the waves, Or maybe because everything is super stress-free, so my whole metabolism has slowed down. It’s unexpected. Also rather nice, because I wake feeling deeply refreshed

Perhaps the human body is meant to sleep for an hour in the afternoon, and the Spanish were right all along?

Yep.
  • Taz said:

stodge said:

State of this ?

I have no issues with Jodie or the Doctor being a woman. The writing is crap, the show runner is a joke of a man and was useless from day one.

It's been crap ever since RTD left. I don't agree that Moffat was any good, he was hopeless!

FWIW Lawrence Freedman doesn't think it likely as there is nothing military to be gained from it. But that is if the regime is being rational of course.

I don't think Putin is being irrational. He has made a series of mistakes, most rooted in past mistakes by himself and others. But his decision to invade *was* probably rational with the information he had at the time.

(Saying it was 'rational' does not mean it was right or moral.)

If a few things had gone differently in the first couple of days (Zelenskyy fled or killed, Hostomel captured, the west not reacted so strongly, etc), then he could easily now be in control of Ukraine and the west would have to be getting used to a new reality and a resurgent Russia.

But thankfully that did not happen. Putin was sane enough to pull out of the northern attack on Kiev, albeit late. But how long did it take the US to pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan after it became obvious that we were not achieving much good?

Putin now finds himself in a really difficult place. Even using 'just' tactical nukes would not achieve much except place himself in an even deeper hole.
    It was written in 2002 by my pre-pre-decessor.
    Taz said:

Was that the story with the cyber brigadier !!
    Haunted house one at end of her second season.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

President Biden repeated a story about an encounter with an Amtrak conductor friend for the seventh time

Biden, 79, was speaking at the launch of the Additive Manufacturing Forward initiative in Ohio with Senators Sherrod Brown and Rob Portman when he recalled the encounter with rail worker Angelo Negri.

He appears to shift the date of the meeting from his last retelling, where he claimed it happened in 2015, to before the death of his mother in January 2010, when he was Vice President.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10793245/Biden-repeats-false-story-encounter-Amtrak-conductor-SEVENTH-time.html

Old person/politician tells same story repeatedly.

Does that class as news nowadays? My granddad has a few stories he loves to tell. The general gist of the story stay the same, but a few facts change in each retelling.
    I do that. I'm usually somewhat more of a hero, or intellectual giant, each time.
    Clearly it is becoming more accurate with time.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,008

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

On the other hand

Info here:

Forget the exaggerated garbage about a handful of nukes killing the world.

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

The purpose of the U.K. nukes is to hold the Russian leadership at risk - kill them in their bunkers.

Secondarily, they could be used to take out various choke points in the Russian economy. So no rail distribution of goods, no harbours for import, no oil and gas production.

IIRC they was an estimate in the Cold War that 100 nukes could reduce the carrying capacity of Russia for population by 90%.
    The logical thing to do (if it ever came to that) would be to take out all Russian missile silos and their military C&C infrastructure, including their sub pens, not to wipe out their cities and population.

What you'd want to do is wipe out their leadership and any ability they had to launch subsequent second strikes.

If Putin ever did that he could measure his lifespan in minutes. And once their nuclear "shield" had gone they'd be at the mercy of the West since NATO's forces are hugely dispersed and markedly superior.

Taking the concept of the low-effort post to a whole new level. The world's dreariest Australian says we'll be fine because modern nuclear doctrine says no.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,008

Taz said:

;)

We bought the DVD of the Sherlock first series and the pilot episode was really good. But they totally slaughtered it for the released first episode - a point I'm glad the guy in the link above made.

Elementary is a far superior modern recharacterisation of the Sherlock Holmes stories.
    Much of the writing in Sherlock makes absolutely no sense at all but they paper over the cracks of that by arguing it's "clever".
  • Taz said:

;)

Much of the writing in Sherlock makes absolutely no sense at all but they paper over the cracks of that by arguing it's "clever".
    The longer it's been, the worse that show looks. Literally the only good episode is the first

Taz said:

stodge said:

State of this ?

I have no issues with Jodie or the Doctor being a woman. The writing is crap, the show runner is a joke of a man and was useless from day one.

It's been crap ever since RTD left. I don't agree that Moffat was any good, he was hopeless!
    I stopped watching before he took over, but certainly he had written some very good episodes. Good writer, bad showrunner?
    Leon said:

Well people apparently used to wake in the night to read, do some chores and have sex, before going back to bed, so if we were not built to sleep a solid 8 hours at night, why not siesta?

I'm certainly always more sluggish in the early afternoon and more active in the evening.
This discussion has been closed.