Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Just 14% back the privatisation of Channel 4 – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2022 in General
imageJust 14% back the privatisation of Channel 4 – politicalbetting.com

Given how controversial Johnson’s plan for Channel 4 is then this latest polling is hardly going to help his move. This is especially the case because of the reported level of opposition from Tory MPs and the need to get the bill through the House of Lords.

Read the full story here

Comments

• FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    edited April 2022

The new Electoral registration figures are out for Dec 2021. These are one year since the Dec 2020 figures which are being used for the boundary review.

Overall registration is up 0.4% in Scotland and up 0.1% in Wales (both had elections last year) and up 3.4% in NI (not sure why). On the other hand in England it has fallen -1.0%. What is noticeable is that apart from the university seats the biggest drops in registration have tended to come in Inner London:

Hampstead and Kilburn -8.9%
    Bermondsey and Old Southwark -6.6%
    Camberwell and Peckham -5.1%
    Vauxhall -4.7%
    Islington North -4.6%
    Tooting -4.5%
    Ealing Central and Acton -4.4%
    Islington South and Finsbury -4.1%
    Streatham -4.1%
    Putney -3.4%
    Dulwich and West Norwood -3.3%
    Twickenham -3.1%
    Lewisham East -2.9%
    Westminster North -2.8%
    Kensington -2.7%
    Lewisham, Deptford -2.7%
    Ealing, Southall -2.7%
    Finchley and Golders Green -2.6%
    Ealing North -2.6%
    Hornsey and Wood Green -2.5%

it will be interesting to see if London recovers at all this year. London is gaining 2 seats in the boundary review based on the 2020 figures but probably wouldn't on the 2021 figures

Somewhat oddly the biggest increase apart from in NI is Holborn and St Pancras up 3.2%, probably due to the massive King's Cross Central development

All those twenty-somethings who used to rent in London and now WFH back at their parents' place.
    Good God I never thought of the electoral effect of this. Great spot. Wonder whether it'll show up in the council elections?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    I think we have done this to death on the last thread, no?
    In the weird world of Jezza Johnson today he wants to renationalise National Grid, while privatising the Vaccine Manufacturing and Innovation Centre.
    edited April 2022

IshmaelZ said:

BigRich said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Voters by 41% to 38% now want the government to prioritise the economy over stopping the spread of Covid.

By 44% to 36% they also want to end the ban on fracking

https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1511751721504149508?s=20&t=qJ_27XRZIsgo94IK2gSIJQ
    https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1511780860709810179?s=20&t=qJ_27XRZIsgo94IK2gSIJQ

Is there any word on fracking in their vicinity, though?
    It’s like when people support tax rises to pay for stuff. They always support it if it’s someone else paying
    The problem with fracking is it tends to be most viable in Tory seats.
    Which is why it isn't likely.
    Given rising energy bills and bans on energy supplies from Russia, supply has to be increased somehow. The US has had success keeping energy prices down expanding fracking and shale extraction
    Different country, indeed continent. Wide sedimentary basins vs the small, faulted and cooked shale basins of the UK. HMG are insane if they think that fracking and nukes are the answer. But of course the most informed electorate in the world like them (Tory MPs).

Edit: AIUI there is a role for a from of fracking - but in the offshore basins where it s ALREADY used.
    Let the fracking pilots continue. Any investment risk will be private sector, they won't drill for production unless very sure it will be worthwhile.
    If fracking does cause earthquakes, I doubt it will be the investors who pick up the tab.
    Yes it will, that's why they have to have a lot of insurance, and anyway people have been fracking for a long time and, no Fracking does not cause earthquakes.
    The principal cause of earthquakes is sodomy, as we have known since the days of Justinian. The fracking thing is a cover up.
    TSE's sexual skills are the principal cause of earthquakes in Yorkshire I understand.
    If there were really a God, TSE would be smote for his shoes alone.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    The Russian embassy in Paris has just tweeted a professionally photoshopped montage entitled "Film set, town of Bucha". I hope the ambassador will be expelled.

https://twitter.com/AmbRusFrance/status/1511808212919635979

• TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Curse of the new thread: Questions for the PB brains trust. So, I have my itineraries for my visits to Azerbaijan.

Trip 1: Arrive into Baku, then Lankaran, Qakh, Shamkir, Naftalan, depart Baku
    Trip 2: Arrive into Baku, then Sabirabad, Ismishlli, Guba, Khachmaz, depart Baku.

I pretty much know what I want to do and see in Baku. Any ideas for the other locations, or en route between?

PS Not telling the wife that this takes me within 10 miles of Russia (Dagestan), 5 miles of Nagorno-Kharabakh, and 20 miles of Iran.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    I don't think anyone in the real world is going to be concerned about who owns channel 4. Most people are more worried about their energy bills doubling.
    edited April 2022

The Russian embassy in Paris has just tweeted a professionally photoshopped montage entitled "Film set, town of Bucha". I hope the ambassador will be expelled.

Massive business opportunity in AI being able to properly identify photoshopped images.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    Farooq said:

The new Electoral registration figures are out for Dec 2021. These are one year since the Dec 2020 figures which are being used for the boundary review.

Overall registration is up 0.4% in Scotland and up 0.1% in Wales (both had elections last year) and up 3.4% in NI (not sure why). On the other hand in England it has fallen -1.0%. What is noticeable is that apart from the university seats the biggest drops in registration have tended to come in Inner London:

Vauxhall -4.7%
    Islington North -4.6%
    Tooting -4.5%
    Streatham -4.1%
    Putney -3.4%
    Twickenham -3.1%
    Lewisham East -2.9%
    Westminster North -2.8%
    Kensington -2.7%
    Lewisham, Deptford -2.7%
    Ealing, Southall -2.7%
    Ealing North -2.6%

it will be interesting to see if London recovers at all this year. London is gaining 2 seats in the boundary review based on the 2020 figures but probably wouldn't on the 2021 figures

Somewhat oddly the biggest increase apart from in NI is Holborn and St Pancras up 3.2%, probably due to the massive King's Cross Central development

All those twenty-somethings who used to rent in London and now WFH back at their parents' place.
    Good God I never thought of the electoral effect of this. Great spot. Wonder whether it'll show up in the council elections?
    London dropping in non-election years is what you'd expect. This is why basing the number of seats on registered voters is unfavourable to high-turnover areas.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,914
    I thought C4 was already privatised because of all the adverts?

Farooq said:

Vauxhall -4.7%
    Islington North -4.6%
    Tooting -4.5%
    Streatham -4.1%
    Putney -3.4%
    Twickenham -3.1%
    Lewisham East -2.9%
    Westminster North -2.8%
    Kensington -2.7%
    Lewisham, Deptford -2.7%
    Ealing, Southall -2.7%
    Ealing North -2.6%

London dropping in non-election years is what you'd expect. This is why basing the number of seats on registered voters is unfavourable to high-turnover areas.
    I've never understood that practice at all. Surely the job of elected politicians is to represent all the people in an area, not sure voters? E.g. U18s also need political representation.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 926
    darkage said:

I don't think anyone in the real world is going to be concerned about who owns channel 4. Most people are more worried about their energy bills doubling.

Yeah, I don't suppose anybody's going to make the issue itself the decider for who they vote for. But will people be pissed off that the government seems to be spending its time on this and not the cost of living crisis? Or maybe it just won't really register...
    edited April 2022
    First dinosaur fossil linked to asteroid strike'
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-61013740

Cunning bit of BBC advertising.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393
    darkage said:

Channelling the Not the Nine O'clock News parody of That's Life...

'We phoned the electricity board.'

'They said...'

'"This really has got absolutely nothing.... to do with us."'

'Cyril....'
  • After realising I’d quite significantly underestimated the distance I had to walk yesterday, I’ve now realised that I also walked the wrong way for the tortoise sanctuary (there are dangers to drunkenly planning trips!). But I am going to go, on the way back from Andorra after visiting the volcanic park I think @IshmaelZ mentioned yesterday.

Tomorrow I’m planning to walk to Roses, then spend the next couple of days walking round the coast to France. I’m then going to track inland, as far as I feel I can safely walk to Vernet-les-Bains, if the walk starts to look too steep then I’ll catch a bus or train there. Then from there I’m planning to ride the Little Yellow Train https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligne_de_Cerdagne to Bourg-Madame back on the border with Spain, where I can walk across to Puigcerdà on the Spanish side and catch a bus to Andorra La Vella (where I will get a picture of the parliament building).

Then I’ll head back to Girona via volcano land and tortoise world.

This plan could all change tomorrow of course! But I do like the look of that train ride..
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

Massive business opportunity in AI being able to properly identify photoshopped images.
    They've done Goebbels proud.

Although they should be aware he committed suicide in a bunker with his children when he lost.

• AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,605
    The privatisation of C4 fails on the same lines as Christian Wolmar’s classic question: What is rail franchising for? (The point being nobody can give a good answer).

What is C4 privatisation for?
    darkage said:

True.

But it is up to the House of Lords now rather than "most people".
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    I'm sure Johnson would love to have the liberal intelligentsia consumed by a campaign to save Channel 4 from privatisation as a distraction from the massive increase in inflation, tax increases, a struggling health service, etc.

Whether Channel 4 is actually privatised or not - I doubt he gives a monkeys.
    Your strategy of incremental sanctions doesn’t work. Cannot work…That’s why 212 members of Parliament demand a special #EUCO meeting to decide on full sanctions immediately!

https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1511667812137377804?s=20&t=D5hPeYDyDiaMHejT6mSSPQ
  • Furious back pedalling as Tories simultaneously justify nationalisation but also privatisation
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    TimT said:

Curse of the new thread: Questions for the PB brains trust. So, I have my itineraries for my visits to Azerbaijan.

Trip 2: Arrive into Baku, then Sabirabad, Ismishlli, Guba, Khachmaz, depart Baku.

I pretty much know what I want to do and see in Baku. Any ideas for the other locations, or en route between?

PS Not telling the wife that this takes me within 10 miles of Russia (Dagestan), 5 miles of Nagorno-Kharabakh, and 20 miles of Iran.

Sounds like you're on some sort of call of duty map.
    I doubt Ch4 privatisation bill will survive the forthcoming summer reshuffle.

• The privatisation of C4 fails on the same lines as Christian Wolmar’s classic question: What is rail franchising for? (The point being nobody can give a good answer).

The better question is: WHO is it for?

People look at CoL and prices rising and they ask, why is the Government doing nothing and instead fighting men with vaginas and Channel 4?

This is why they are going down, down, down.

The privatisation of C4 fails on the same lines as Christian Wolmar’s classic question: What is rail franchising for? (The point being nobody can give a good answer).

People look at CoL and prices rising and they ask, why is the Government doing nothing and instead fighting men with vaginas and Channel 4?

Nobody knows who it is for or what it is for.

Meanwhile, on the trans thing, they have merely aligned with Labour’s policy. Rachel Reeves said much the same last week.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    I think Channel 4 has been going downhill since the 90s when they had quality presenters and content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hLHyLC2DqI
    Updated: Pentagon says that, on average, it's taking 4 days to ship weapons to pass-off points outside Ukraine + another 1-2 days for those shipments to enter the country.

Such transfers have “never been done that fast before”
  • The privatisation of C4 fails on the same lines as Christian Wolmar’s classic question: What is rail franchising for? (The point being nobody can give a good answer).

Meanwhile, on the trans thing, they have merely aligned with Labour’s policy. Rachel Reeves said much the same last week.
    The announcements the Tories are making suggest that they don’t have any big ideas and they’re now waiting for the inevitable.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,183
    pm215 said:

darkage said:

Yeah, I don't suppose anybody's going to make the issue itself the decider for who they vote for. But will people be pissed off that the government seems to be spending its time on this and not the cost of living crisis? Or maybe it just won't really register...
    Though are people really going to be thinking 'if only the government weren't privatising channel 4, it could be passing legislation to make the cost of living less'? The cost of living isn't high because of government inaction or misplaced priorities, it's high because of Ukraine and covid. No amount of government legislation is going to make gas cheaper.
    Also, I reckon the majority of people would be very surprised to discover that Channel 4 is state owned.
  • I doubt Ch4 privatisation bill will survive the forthcoming summer reshuffle.

To be honest I could not care less either way
    Pulpstar said:

TimT said:

Sounds like you're on some sort of call of duty map.
    LOL. Just a tour of public health labs.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,274

Although they should be aware he committed suicide in a bunker with his children when he lost.

Although his children, of course, did not commit suicide.

One of the most chilling scenes in "Downfall".
    Sunak's wife is non-dom.

He will not even be an MP in five years imho.

His time on the greasy pole is soon at an end.

• turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878

The announcements the Tories are making suggest that they don’t have any big ideas and they’re now waiting for the inevitable.
    Tbh horse, I don’t think anyone has any big ideas. One off taxes on energy providers is great this year, but what about next? And the next? If labour had the misfortune to be in power now, they would b3 struggling too. There are no easy solutions to all the chickens that are coming home to roost.

Tbh horse, I don’t think anyone has any big ideas. One off taxes on energy providers is great this year, but what about next? And the next? If labour had the misfortune to be in power now, they would b3 struggling too. There are no easy solutions to all the chickens that are coming home to roost.
    Interesting Londoner's to pay more in NI than the rest of the country because they earn more

https://twitter.com/TmorrowsPapers/status/1511690624067674118?t=sqm-iOif-APeOZKyzP9GSw&s=19
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Cookie said:

pm215 said:

darkage said:

Though are people really going to be thinking 'if only the government weren't privatising channel 4, it could be passing legislation to make the cost of living less'? The cost of living isn't high because of government inaction or misplaced priorities, it's high because of Ukraine and covid. No amount of government legislation is going to make gas cheaper.
    Also, I reckon the majority of people would be very surprised to discover that Channel 4 is state owned.
    we could be lowering tariffs, Unilaterally, which would lower the cost of living, and I think require legislation. but overall I take you point.

Hope you are staying well tubbs, awful rain here today

Sunak's wife is non-dom.

Whenever anyone mentions "greasy pole" I think of Jacob Rees-Mogg for some reason.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Someone has got it in for Sunak. First, the Winchester school donation. Now the non-dom tax status for his wife.

Cui bono?
  • Sunak's wife is non-dom.

He has had a political car crash and needs moving away from COE

Bnng back Ken Clarke
    Cyclefree said:

Someone has got it in for Sunak. First, the Winchester school donation. Now the non-dom tax status for his wife.

Cui bono?

Cui bono? That narrows it down to about 65,000,000 people.

Interesting Londoner's to pay more in NI than the rest of the country because they earn more

https://twitter.com/TmorrowsPapers/status/1511690624067674118?t=sqm-iOif-APeOZKyzP9GSw&s=19
    Big G plays the anti London card, it’s a bold strategy Cotton, let’s see how it works out for him
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878

Not bad thanks. Legs shamefully achy after short run yesterday.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Anyway feel bloody awful so taking my weary self, racked with coughing and fever, off to bed.
  • CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited April 2022

Not bad thanks. Legs shamefully achy after short run yesterday.
    Hope you’re able to rest and be back out there again soon. I went out for a run today as well.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited April 2022

Reason being only workers earning over £34k will pay more in NI under the plans.

The London median wage is £34,439 compared to the UK median wage of £25,971
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,769

Your strategy of incremental sanctions doesn’t work. Cannot work…That’s why 212 members of Parliament demand a special #EUCO meeting to decide on full sanctions immediately!

https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1511667812137377804?s=20&t=D5hPeYDyDiaMHejT6mSSPQ

Full credit for his passion.
    edited April 2022
    Cyclefree said:

Cui bono?

I am sure it is a total coincidence that Team Lynton are back in the stable of the Big Dog.

Bnng back Ken Clarke
    A month ago you wanted Rishi to be PM!

And you joyously celebrated as Clarke was removed from the Tory Party.

You’re like a parody of yourself at times
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,760
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Vauxhall -4.7%
    Islington North -4.6%
    Tooting -4.5%
    Streatham -4.1%
    Putney -3.4%
    Twickenham -3.1%
    Lewisham East -2.9%
    Westminster North -2.8%
    Kensington -2.7%
    Lewisham, Deptford -2.7%
    Ealing, Southall -2.7%
    Ealing North -2.6%

I've never understood that practice at all. Surely the job of elected politicians is to represent all the people in an area, not sure voters? E.g. U18s also need political representation.
    It is their job to represent everyone.

But the electoral register is the most convenient way to keep an accurate record of numbers.

Big G plays the anti London card, it’s a bold strategy Cotton, let’s see how it works out for him
    Err - it is the London Evening Standard read by millions of Londoners

You may try to troll my posts but it is so juvenile and tedious
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Strong Labour and LD opposition to privatisation of C4. However Conservative voters split on it, so Johnson may get away with it

One of the most chilling scenes in "Downfall".
    Indeed. Utterly mad people.

Although iirc the reality is she got a nursing aide to actually do the kids in with morphine.

Releasing scarce government capital so it can be reinvested into socially beneficial activity

You posted it because it’s deflection as usual. You’re one of the most anti London on here.

I assume you didn’t get the reference BTW
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    pm215 said:

darkage said:

People's gas, electricity and fuel bills will be what decide GE2024. I'm not sure where many households are going to be able to find the extra two or three hundred pounds a month from.

Meanwhile we have a chancellor putting up taxes while his wife dodges them.

Is it time to bet on a Labour majority yet?
    How many days did PBers take to recover from covid? I could almost convince myself that I’m feeling a bit better tonight after three days feeling grotty with it.
    Cyclefree said:

Anyway feel bloody awful so taking my weary self, racked with coughing and fever, off to bed.

Get well soon.
  • kyf_100 said:

pm215 said:

darkage said:

People's gas, electricity and fuel bills will be what decide GE2024. I'm not sure where many households are going to be able to find the extra two or three hundred pounds a month from.

Meanwhile we have a chancellor putting up taxes while his wife dodges them.

Is it time to bet on a Labour majority yet?
    I’m long on Labour Government propped up by the LDs at the moment
    HYUFD said:

Strong Labour and LD opposition to privatisation of C4. However Conservative voters split on it, so Johnson may get away with it

But why? What's the point? Haven't the government got more pressing matters to deal with?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,056
    edited April 2022
    Cyclefree said:

Cui bono?

And all while he is out of the country at his Californian mansion.
  • HYUFD said:

But why? What's the point? Haven't the government got more pressing matters to deal with?
    They are out of ideas.

This is the cone hotline all over again

Bnng back Ken Clarke

Show me any post that I celebrated Ken Clarke removal from the party

You would have had Corbyn running the country

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Vauxhall -4.7%
    Islington North -4.6%
    Tooting -4.5%
    Streatham -4.1%
    Putney -3.4%
    Twickenham -3.1%
    Lewisham East -2.9%
    Westminster North -2.8%
    Kensington -2.7%
    Lewisham, Deptford -2.7%
    Ealing, Southall -2.7%
    Ealing North -2.6%

It is their job to represent everyone.

But the electoral register is the most convenient way to keep an accurate record of numbers.
    It's a bit unfair the on the representatives that have to cover double the number of people as some others, though.

We do have other ways of estimating the number of people who live in an area.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,085

And for the good of society, that's a good thing- take the noise out of the debate and work out what a world where Trans People are people who deserve support and Feminists are people who deserve reassurance looks like.

But from the point of a view of a movement who need a Culture War against the left to fight, it's a problem.

If Starmer refuses to walk through the doors labelled "This is the Brexit War Trap" and "This is the Culture War Trap", what is the modern Conservative Party for? Anything else they try is going to be unpopular with most of their opponents and a fair chunk of their supporters.

Bnng back Ken Clarke

You endorsed Johnson running the country. Then Rishi.

Your judgment is terrible

Releasing scarce government capital so it can be reinvested into socially beneficial activity
    The £1b that Ch4 is worth is an asset on government books while it is public.
    Farooq said:

Vauxhall -4.7%
    Islington North -4.6%
    Tooting -4.5%
    Streatham -4.1%
    Putney -3.4%
    Twickenham -3.1%
    Lewisham East -2.9%
    Westminster North -2.8%
    Kensington -2.7%
    Lewisham, Deptford -2.7%
    Ealing, Southall -2.7%
    Ealing North -2.6%

In outer London, my neck of the woods Redbridge currently has 51 Labour councillors out of 63, then 11 Tory and 1 Reform UK.

Back in 1978 (when I first moved to Ilford), the council was 50 Conservative, 13 Labour.

You posted it because it’s deflection as usual. You’re one of the most anti London on here.

Troll

How many days did PBers take to recover from covid? I could almost convince myself that I’m feeling a bit better tonight after three days feeling grotty with it.

9 days, but that was original Omicron not BA.2.
  • Starmer has effectively neutralised Brexit which is why those voters have swung back to Labour in the Red Wall

Sunak's wife is non-dom.

What is it about these people that, despite having more money than they can ever spend in their lifetime, they put so much effort into avoiding paying their taxes?

Do they have no shame?
    HYUFD said:

You're happy either way, as long as they don't come to take away your beloved S4C. Cymru am byth, HYUFFDD! You'll get your independence Wales one day.

Troll
    No it was Dodgeball actually
    HYUFD said:

HoL will block.

Not in manifesto.

Nadine gone in the summer reshuffle.

Barnacles must be removed in run up to 2024 GE.

Bnng back Ken Clarke

Of course it is

Bnng back Ken Clarke

Of course it is
    We’re getting somewhere!
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cui bono?

How awful to kick a man when he's down, eh?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

My account manager was unwell two weeks ago, felt better but tested positive last week, feels even worse this week.

But who knows. Maybe he had a heavy cold, asymptomatic Covid and now has the flu.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,769
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cui bono?

I thought it was an apartment in Santa Monica. (Albeit a rather expensive one.)

Cyclefree said:

Cui bono?

I am sure it is a total coincidence that Team Lynton are back in the stable of the Big Dog.
    Not sure why they are adding layers of mud like this. Bit unnecessary seeing as Sunak has, by his own volition, just delivered the most tin-eared, out of touch, deluded budget in modern times.

They would be better keeping the powder dry just in case somehow he recovers in the autumn by undoing most of this spring budget and starting to help people who are being hammered.

£1bn that can’t be invested into something else.

If Channel 4 didn’t exist at the moment would it be the right use of £1bn of taxpayers money to create a moderately successful but largely undifferentiated Tv channel. There’s a heck of a lot of more deserving applications
    Foxy said:

Thanks. Nine days from a positive test or from actual symptoms? (I assume you have to test daily as you are a doctor?)
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Cyclefree said:

Cui bono?

Kennel surely?
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cui bono?

He’s muddling up Rishi and Harry - undistinguished beta males with foreign wives and a public school education

HYUFD said:

HoL will block.

Not in manifesto.

The competent but disloyal went ages ago.

If Boris removes the incompetent but loyal, who is left?
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 926
    Cookie said:

pm215 said:

Mmm, I think I agree on both points. People won't vote the government out because they view them as having wasted time on the wrong things -- they'll do it because their household finances have taken a massive hit. And they won't particularly be open to the "there's not much we could have done about it" argument, however true it might be.
  • BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,129
    edited April 2022
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Cui bono?

Kennel surely?
    Only pleb dogs get kennels. Big Dogs get a stable.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    That wasn't in the script:

REPLACING Boris Johnson with one of the frontrunners in contention for the Tory leadership would only serve to boost support for independence in Scotland, a new poll has found...

The poll of 1029 Scottish adults found that should Chancellor Rishi Sunak take over as Prime Minister, 13% of Scots said they would be more likely to support a Yes vote. This is opposed to the 6% who said they’d be more likely to oppose independence.

The effect was even more pronounced should Liz Truss, the Foreign Secretary, take over from Johnson at the head of the Conservative Party. The YouGov poll found that 15% of Scots would be more likely to support leaving the UK if Truss was at its head, while just 5% would be more likely to vote No.

https://archive.ph/GsarD#selection-1609.3-1635.167

Cyclefree said:

Cui bono?

Not sure why they are adding layers of mud like this. Bit unnecessary seeing as Sunak has, by his own volition, just delivered the most tin-eared, out of touch, deluded budget in modern times.

They would be better keeping the powder dry just in case somehow he recovers in the autumn by undoing most of this spring budget and starting to help people who are being hammered.

It's a good point. Also, I doubt most voters distinguish much between Sunak versus Johnson; rather they just see it as another mark against the Tories.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781

REPLACING Boris Johnson with one of the frontrunners in contention for the Tory leadership would only serve to boost support for independence in Scotland, a new poll has found...

The poll of 1029 Scottish adults found that should Chancellor Rishi Sunak take over as Prime Minister, 13% of Scots said they would be more likely to support a Yes vote. This is opposed to the 6% who said they’d be more likely to oppose independence.

The effect was even more pronounced should Liz Truss, the Foreign Secretary, take over from Johnson at the head of the Conservative Party. The YouGov poll found that 15% of Scots would be more likely to support leaving the UK if Truss was at its head, while just 5% would be more likely to vote No.

How about someone a bit more sober. Wallace? Tugendhat? (Though Dura Ace has made an eloquent case against the latter).

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Cui bono?

He’s muddling up Rishi and Harry - undistinguished beta males with foreign wives and a public school education
    iirc the S Times claimed that Sunak had invited Johnson and family to Santa Monica for Easter. It was described as showing how they are still good pals.

• Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,043
    Eabhal said:

How about someone a bit more sober. Wallace? Tugendhat? (Though Dura Ace has made an eloquent case against the latter).
    Not sure why the former is being touted either tbh.

Got to be Penny Mordaunt.

Foxy said:

Thanks. Nine days from a positive test or from actual symptoms? (I assume you have to test daily as you are a doctor?)
    No, from onset of symptoms. Sore throat, burnt taste in mouth and fatigue.

If Channel 4 didn’t exist at the moment would it be the right use of £1bn of taxpayers money to create a moderately successful but largely undifferentiated Tv channel. There’s a heck of a lot of more deserving applications
    But it no longer costs £1b. It costs nothing to tax payer iirc. It makes a surplus and reinvests. The asset is on the government books.

If the argument is crikey we desperately need £1b then why is Sunak making promises to cut income tax to 19p sometime over the rainbow?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,043

HYUFD said:

HoL will block.

Not in manifesto.

The competent but disloyal went ages ago.

If Boris removes the incompetent but loyal, who is left?
    The incompetent and disloyal.

Though as @MaxPB suggested earlier, that £1 billion may well be wishful thinking. A lot of the value of C4 is what I think accountants call "goodwill"- the name, the history and reputation. (It's a long time since I did Work Experience in a local accountancy firm.) That stuff probably woudn't survive being sold to GlobalMediaCorp.

And £1 billion a year is surprsingly little at the level of a country. If we're talking a one-off receipt, it's a rounding error.

Alternatively- if that's the level of Family Silver Selling we're at, things are really bad. It's like selling your grandparent's wedding photos- the sentimental value far exceeds the cash that can be released.
    edited April 2022
    I've just twigged. For six years we've been playing the Brexit Invitational Knockout Cup and we've reached the final.
    After squeaking past West Domwich Albion in the semifinal, Boristol City are playing Sunakderland, who beat Brighton and Gove Albion in the other semi.
    Sunakderland had a 2-0 lead coming into the second half, but 10 minutes from time, Boristol have pegged them back.

It could yet be decided on fixed penalties.
This discussion has been closed.