Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Do as I do – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,183
    Saw these on a Rick Stein-in-Cornwall programme the other day

Bought one. Hand forged and hand smithed on Bodmin Moor from recycled high-grade car metal (some obscure engine part, I think)

God's honest truth: this is the best chef's knife I have ever used. Alarmingly sharp. Chops through veg like it is Cornish mist off Carn Brae

The blade will of course get blunt, and I do not know if I can sharpen it back to its present state. But, its present state is WOW

https://www.atkinson-art.co.uk/product-category/wolf-dingo-chef-knives-for-valhalla/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    Leon said:

Bought one. Hand forged and hand smithed on Bodmin Moor from recycled high-grade car metal (some obscure engine part, I think)

God's honest truth: this is the best chef's knife I have ever used. Alarmingly sharp. Chops through veg like it is Cornish mist off Carn Brae

The blade will of course get blunt, and I do not know if I can sharpen it back to its present state. But, its present state is WOW

https://www.atkinson-art.co.uk/product-category/wolf-dingo-chef-knives-for-valhalla/

You're looking for sponsorship deals?
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    Strong Labour hold in Thanet with about 55% of the vote.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Leon said:

Oh, I'm tempted.

"some obscure engine part" is one for @Dura_Ace though?
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    Leon said:

I thought that flint makes some of the sharpest knives? Obviously they blunt pretty fast, but I would have though that would not be a problem for you.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Leon said:

Not sure its going to help you make those flint dildos any quicker....
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

TimT said:

Been comparing the Ukrainian MOD figures for Russian casualties (first number) with the confirmed kills from Oryx (number in parentheses).

One would certainly expect the numbers of actual casualties to be way higher than the Oryx figure, given each claimed kill there has to have been photographed and identified as a unique vehicle. But what do PBers think: given the lower Oryx figures, are the UkrMOD figures credible?

UkrMOD/(Oryx)

Aircraft: 108 (15)
    Helos: 124 (35)

The Ukrainians are obviously lying for obvious reasons but the aircraft claims are just ridiculous. When you've got one pilot who has claimed more kills in a week than the best three Israeli jet aces got over their entire careers combined you know you're in piss take territory.
    Tell us more about the theory of the "complete pointlessness of British NLAW exports" as expounded by, er, YOU, in late February 2022
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,624
    LD hold in Test Valley, North Baddesley by 64% to 36% over the Tories.
  • Options

Leon said:

Oh, I'm tempted.

Try one. They seem to be selling out

It is the sharpest knife I have ever used. Unbelievably good

However I emphasise this is when using them fresh out of the box. Can I hone this knife to its original sharpness? We shall see

Even if I can't, they are beautiful looking things: in a primal, Cornish, Anglo-Celtic Mad Max kinda way, and would make a great and unusual present for a cheffy relative or friend.

I honestly have no personal commercial interest in this business! Tho I do like the fact this mad bloke hand-hammers these devilish bastards out of recycled car metal atop Bodmin Moor. He's a dude
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    Almost not worth mentioning these days as it's so common, but I've picked up the bug - felt sniffly, shivery and out of sorts all day without it developing into a cold, and someone suggested a test, and lo, two bars. That's probably due to the reception in Westminster on Tuesday - I did wonder whether having 80 unmasked people in a mostly enclosed room was a good idea, but I've got a bit blase about it (I'm sure some here will approve)..

Irritating, as I had a holiday booked to visit family, and I have to take leave as it expires on March 31 if I don't. A week of poker and computer games is indicated, which I'm sure is Much Less Fun than visiting elderly relatives. That's my story for them, anyway.
  • Options
    Further information. This is the knife I bought

https://www.atkinson-art.co.uk/product/kollell-139-not-dead-yet-recycled-high-carbon-steel-cornish-chef-knives-wolf-and-dingo/

The handle is slightly shorter than I like, tho it balances on a finger in the middle (which is the best test). And the sharpness - as it arrived - is unlike anything I've known. And I have been experimenting with knives and steels for a few years

I adore the fact it is recycled from car parts. It is a healing thing. We can take trash metal and turn it into something beautiful AND superb, and we can do this on a farm in the bleak wilds of Bodmin Moor. All is not lost
  • Options
    Do we have a pool on last PBer to catch COVID?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

https://www.atkinson-art.co.uk/product/kollell-139-not-dead-yet-recycled-high-carbon-steel-cornish-chef-knives-wolf-and-dingo/

The handle is slightly shorter than I like, tho it balances on a finger in the middle (which is the best test). And the sharpness - as it arrived - is unlike anything I've known. And I have been experimenting with knives and steels for a few years

I adore the fact it is recycled from car parts. It is a healing thing. We can take trash metal and turn it into something beautiful AND superb, and we can do this on a farm in the bleak wilds of Bodmin Moor. All is not lost

These kind of businesses making bespoke or niche things have been thriving over the past few years as people desire something special among their identikit homes from Ikea. With the squeeze in disposal income, I think it could be very tough times for these kind of people who sell lovely but expensive items.
  • Options
    South Korea, New Zealand and Australia registering high Covid-19 figures over the last few days.
  • Options

Leon said:

These kind of businesses making bespoke or niche things have been thriving over the past few years as people desire something special among their identikit homes from Ikea. With the squeeze in disposal income, I think it could be very tough times for these kind of people who sell lovely but expensive items.
    Indeed. Which is why I am more than happy to enthuse about him

Very pricey, but actually worth the money

I was making a fish curry a few hours ago, and used this knife for the first time. Nearly cut my bloody thumb off. Phenomenal. Unlike any knife I have used before
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Andy_JS said:

South Korea, New Zealand and Australia registering high Covid-19 figures over the last few days.

Reality of the big O, you can't really stop it unless you literally imprison everybody in their homes for weeks on end.

Even "Gold Standard" South Korea, now 1 in 5 of the population have had COVID....and to think until a couple of months ago basically nobody had there.

https://news.sky.com/story/south-korea-covid-19-cases-hit-10m-leaving-crematoriums-and-funeral-homes-struggling-to-cope-12573261
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,991

I have so far managed to avoid it, even when my 11 year old son had it.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    rcs1000 said:

I have a teacher friend who never stopped in person teaching throughout the pandemic and their own kids have had COVID twice. Still not had it.

I so far have managed to dodge the bullet, but then I worked from home until end of last year (and still work from home quite a bit), so does Mrs U, and we don't have kids.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,578
    Saddened that Leon is now flogging knives on the internet. Surely things aren't THAT desperate?

Ginsu Knife Special
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wzULnlHr8w

My favorite TV knife commercials, are the hour info-mercials airing 3am or thereabouts, where you can buy a hundred or so knives of various types and sizes and all garbage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGHYhEjrZo0
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

You might be one of the 5-10% who are, supposedly, naturally immune and will never get it?

I wouldn't rely on that, tho. My 20-something niece in Falmouth was congratulating herself on this status, even as her husband went down with the lurgy for the Nth time.... and then she caught it, and now she is feeling shite

We will all get it, barring a few genuinely lucky immunological weirdoes
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    *Spring Statement
    Is the freezing of the pension pot cap and the fact 1.6 million now get caught by pension stealth tax as inflation drags them into governments 55% withdraw band, an example of “drag economics” PB grinders warned us about yesterday?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

You might be one of the 5-10% who are, supposedly, naturally immune and will never get it?

I wouldn't rely on that, tho. My 20-something niece in Falmouth was congratulating herself on this status, even as her husband went down with the lurgy for the Nth time.... and then she caught it, and now she is feeling shite

I have a relative who throughout the pandemic wasn't exactly very careful and only got double jabbed, but weirdly became a test-aholic. They dodged it until last week.

I have a load of in personal meetings lined up over the coming months through out the country, so I shall be awaiting my call...
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

I have a relative who throughout the pandemic wasn't exactly very careful and only got double jabbed, but weirdly became a test-aholic. They dodged it until last week.

I have a load of in personal meetings lined up over the coming months through out the country, so I shall be awaiting my call...
    Right now my older daughter, my niece, my niece's husband, my stepmother, and one of my best male friends: all have it (and all of them for the first time)

This wave is mopping up everyone who has avoided it until now, or so it feels. But much better they get it now, when we have mollifying vaccines and when the variant is mild, than some other time
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Right now my older daughter, my niece, my niece's husband, my stepmother, and one of my best male friends: all have it (and all of them for the first time)

This wave is mopping up everyone who has avoided it until now, or so it feels. But much better they get it now, when we have mollifying vaccines and when the variant is mild, than some other time
    I think you are right. I am not exactly going to go around hunting out every ill looking person on public transport asking them do they mind coughing my direction, but I am now at the stage where I wouldn't be unhappy if I could get it out the way.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

I think you are right. I am not exactly going to go around hunting out every ill looking person on public transport asking them do they mind coughing my direction, but I am now at the stage where I wouldn't be unhappy if I could get it out the way.
    “Silly Leg” Francis? Are you still posting here after you spoiled everyone’s fun today 😧
  • Options
    Kate looking absolutely magisterial on front of the Peoples Paper

• Options
    City of London held its election yesterday.

Results:
    https://www.agrayarea.info/cityoflondon2022.pdf
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

“Silly Leg” Francis? Are you still posting here after you spoiled everyone’s fun today 😧
    If I understood a single word of that I might be able to reply.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,383
    Fishing said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

The government rarely breaks its own laws and publicly admits it.

Far more often, however, it conducts pointless consultations to rubber-stamp foregone conclusions. Having worked in government for many years I've seen more than my fair share of those. I can certainly understand the management's impatience with them, however much lawyers love them.

They are usually rubber stamping, yes, but like justice needing to be seen to be done, it is important for decision makers to prove they follow correct processes. It at least gives the possibility of catching errors and changing tune, and that possibilitu cannot be discounted as worthless.
    It is not worthless, but on the other hand consultation is not costless either. Where the right dividing line is, is of course a matter of opinion.

I can see why government decisions should be subject to consultation, because the government has no profit incentive to get the answer right in the way that the private sector does, and has powers of compulsion that businesses do not have.

But management should be allowed to manage, with the bottom line the judge of whether or not the decision was correct.
    The dividing line is not a matter of opinion. It is a matter of law.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Pete Buttigieg (translates as chicken owner/farmer) do something too?
    Andy_JS said:

Tonight is chicken night. Eve Chicken was elected in Northumberland, and the successful Labour candidate in Thanet owns chickens according to her Twitter feed.

On that note, good night PB.

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,177
    TimT said:

Pete Buttigieg (translates as chicken owner/farmer) do something too?

Andy_JS said:

Tonight is chicken night. Eve Chicken was elected in Northumberland, and the successful Labour candidate in Thanet owns chickens according to her Twitter feed.

On that note, good night PB.

https://youtu.be/EqaGwaOCEz8
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    dixiedean said:

Good Tory hold in Seghill and Seaton Delaval in Northumberland. Tories hold their Majority on the council. Well done for Stodge and dixiedean for calling it.

Labour certainly has major issues at a local level in Blyth Valley constituency which was apparent last year. Labour also got 73% in this ward in 2013.

The Budget clearly a disaster in northern red wa...hang on, that can't be right.....
    If you think Seghill is the Red Wall you clearly haven't visited recently.
    Either way the swing is very clear. Also shows the wobbly thinking there is about what the 'Redwall' means. It was never thousands of benefit claimants, etc suddenly voting Tory. It was more the lower m/c in parts of the north and Midlands voting Tory as their counterparts, in eg, the Medway towns have been doing for the past 10years or so. Of course there has veen some swing back in the past year or so generally and many of the seats could revert to Labour still. I actually doubt if it will be all of them but 2 years out from a GE none of us really know.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,998
    edited March 2022
    I have no idea if this is Russians, Ukrainians or is from another conflict altogether: but the following is jaw-dropping, funny and potentially tragic:

https://twitter.com/Stuckvisor/status/1507137154065088518
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    felix said:

dixiedean said:

Good Tory hold in Seghill and Seaton Delaval in Northumberland. Tories hold their Majority on the council. Well done for Stodge and dixiedean for calling it.

Labour certainly has major issues at a local level in Blyth Valley constituency which was apparent last year. Labour also got 73% in this ward in 2013.

The Budget clearly a disaster in northern red wa...hang on, that can't be right.....
    Either way the swing is very clear. Also shows the wobbly thinking there is about what the 'Redwall' means. It was never thousands of benefit claimants, etc suddenly voting Tory. It was more the lower m/c in parts of the north and Midlands voting Tory as their counterparts, in eg, the Medway towns have been doing for the past 10years or so. Of course there has veen some swing back in the past year or so generally and many of the seats could revert to Labour still. I actually doubt if it will be all of them but 2 years out from a GE none of us really know.
    As I said yesterday, knowing this area reasonably well, the surprise for me is that this area was staunch labour for so long. Although dixiedean is quite right this is not what you would call archetypal red wall it was still labour a few years back. I expect some seats will swing back to labour but others will keep trending Tory as they have been doing for several elections.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Taz said:

felix said:

dixiedean said:

As I said yesterday, knowing this area reasonably well, the surprise for me is that this area was staunch labour for so long. Although dixiedean is quite right this is not what you would call archetypal red wall it was still labour a few years back. I expect some seats will swing back to labour but others will keep trending Tory as they have been doing for several elections.
    Very much like my home town of Sunderland - almost the whole town went Labour - even the leafiest and poshest wards for several years. Over the past few years slowly they have moved back into the blue camp - as a result in 2019 all 3 Sunderland seats moved back into marginal territory. I should think they are now safe Labour again although Sunderland Central will still have a good Conservative showing. I taught in Dartford for many years - a Labour seat after 1997 but the whole north Kent area is now packed with lower m/c safe blue seats. In many ways much of the north-east is similar outside the urban Newcastle zone and will remain susceptible to the blues if the political climate changes again. Too many on here don't really understand the 'redwall' mentality at all.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

Despite everyone around me (literally) going down with it, I am so far officially free of it (as in, consistently tested negative).

In the real world, I’ve had it twice. Wasn’t especially ill on either occasion, but on the second it was bad enough to keep me off school for three days even after a negative test - more days than I’ve had off ill in the whole of the rest of my career.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Despite everyone around me (literally) going down with it, I am so far officially free of it (as in, consistently tested negative).

In the real world, I’ve had it twice. Wasn’t especially ill on either occasion, but on the second it was bad enough to keep me off school for three days even after a negative test - more days than I’ve had off ill in the whole of the rest of my career.
    Our Little 'un got it at the beginning of February. A tiny sniffle was the only symptom (the day before he tested positive, he got his fastest time on Junior Parkrun, which shows how ill he was).

So we were exposed to Covid. Three days later, I felt really bad. The next day, Mrs J did. We had three or four days of feeling a little ill - headaches, sore throats - but we tested negative throughout.

I've no doubt it was Covid, but am curious as to why we both tested negative. Or was it just Covanoia?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Our Little 'un got it at the beginning of February. A tiny sniffle was the only symptom (the day before he tested positive, he got his fastest time on Junior Parkrun, which shows how ill he was).

So we were exposed to Covid. Three days later, I felt really bad. The next day, Mrs J did. We had three or four days of feeling a little ill - headaches, sore throats - but we tested negative throughout.

I've no doubt it was Covid, but am curious as to why we both tested negative. Or was it just Covanoia?
    I don’t know, not being a scientist.

If it had just been me, I would have assumed I did the test wrong. I have a terrible gag reflex and trying to rub something on my tonsils is impossible.

But my sister, who trained as a lab assistant even if she is now a civil servant, also tested negative when all her family had it and she was showing strong symptoms.

So I am assuming she and I have some peculiarity that means for whatever reason the test can’t pick up the virus from us.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    edited March 2022

I have no idea if this is Russians, Ukrainians or is from another conflict altogether: but the following is jaw-dropping, funny and potentially tragic:

It's obviously not ideal but possibly not as dangerous as it looks. HE rounds are usually fuzed by undergoing forces in magnitude and sequence consistent with being fired from gun - set back, spin and creep. Or maybe it's all on an app or in the cloud these days.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

If it had just been me, I would have assumed I did the test wrong. I have a terrible gag reflex and trying to rub something on my tonsils is impossible.

But my sister, who trained as a lab assistant even if she is now a civil servant, also tested negative when all her family had it and she was showing strong symptoms.

So I am assuming she and I have some peculiarity that means for whatever reason the test can’t pick up the virus from us.
    Fox jr2 had it in January, but completely negative on LFT every day, then as classic symptoms got a PCR and was positive. I have known a few others the same. I would only count it as definitely negative if testing with both LFT and PCR was negative and both in a timely fashion.

It is also possible to test for viral antibodies which are distinct from vaccine antibodies, but only really done for epidemiological research. As official policy is to now ignore it and hope it goes away I don't think much testing in the future.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

It's obviously not ideal but possibly not as dangerous as it looks. HE rounds are usually fuzed by undergoing forces in magnitude and sequence consistent with being fired from gun - set back, spin and creep. Or maybe it's all on an app or in the cloud these days.
    Well, considering one want bang (perhaps not main charge), I'd argue it was as dangerous as it looks ...
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Dura_Ace said:

Did you watch the whole video? including the bit where one of the shells exploded?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Well, considering one want bang (perhaps not main charge), I'd argue it was as dangerous as it looks ...
    Yeah, I'm not your guy if you want a dispassionate evaluation of relative danger.
    Genuine LOL. :)

In Cambridge, there is a set of rollers near the millpond that allows punts to be moved down to the middle river. I once tried standing on one as it went down the rollers, with the obvious result.

I can imagine you doing a Slim Pickens on one of those shells...
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

I may be a weirdo. Never had it (neither has any of my immediate family).
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Fox jr2 had it in January, but completely negative on LFT every day, then as classic symptoms got a PCR and was positive. I have known a few others the same. I would only count it as definitely negative if testing with both LFT and PCR was negative and both in a timely fashion.

It is also possible to test for viral antibodies which are distinct from vaccine antibodies, but only really done for epidemiological research. As official policy is to now ignore it and hope it goes away I don't think much testing in the future.
    We were both negative on LFTs and PCRs. So even that doesn’t work.
  • Options
    here seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships generals today.”

https://twitter.com/MrKovalenko/status/1507193029064593409
  • Options

Putin, your boys took a hell of a Beatty-ing?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Mornin' As my MP, Ms Patel would say! Ms Cycefree, as you indicate, a contemptible state of affairs.

I am NOT going to discuss the header, or my health. I'm going to be positive. Mrs C and I went out for a meal last night at a local pub; very pleasant, and to my amazement an excellent glass of a very smooth Merlot. Mrs C had a very good Pinot Grigio.
    They weren't particularly expensive, either!

I wonder, has Greene King got a new wine buyer?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Career path in the Russian armed forces? He chose....poorly.

Updated numbers as at 25 March 2022 of Russian officers

- Min of Defence Shoigu and Chief of General Staff Gerasimov MIA;
    - 9 Generals arrested;
    - 8 Generals KIA;
    - 14 Colonels KIA;
    - 15 Lt Colonels KIA; and
    - 1 Navy Captain / Deputy Commander, Black Sea Fleet KIA.

• Options

A 'Lt General' even more impressive if accurate.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I remember being that young.
    These days I’m doing well if I go half a term without being off that much.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Hope you're keeping well. All a bit mad at this end.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

- 9 Generals arrested;
    - 8 Generals KIA;
    - 14 Colonels KIA;

9 generals arrested? I had heads of one, supposedly under house arrest, but not 9 do we know who/why they were arrested?

P.S. the navy captain, was a 'Captain first class' which in the UK and most other navy's would be a Commodore.

P.P.S I understand there have been one Lt Colonel captured also, that perhaps should make it to the list.
  • Options

LibDems, this is what a decapitation strategy looks like....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Not too bad thanks, if I ignore the upcoming trip to hospital. During the Easter holiday though, so no need to set cover.

We are also preparing for a major software change at school; to my slightly cynical eyes it’s seems to be going as well as I thought it would…
  • Options
    BigRich said:

- 9 Generals arrested;
    - 8 Generals KIA;
    - 14 Colonels KIA;

9 generals arrested? I had heads of one, supposedly under house arrest, but not 9 do we know who/why they were arrested?

P.S. the navy captain, was a 'Captain first class' which in the UK and most other navy's would be a Commodore.

P.P.S I understand there have been one Lt Colonel captured also, that perhaps should make it to the list.
    Plus (according to one report I saw) one colonel run over by a tank driven by a disgruntled subordinate. He survived as it only went over his legs.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Not too bad thanks, if I ignore the upcoming trip to hospital. During the Easter holiday though, so no need to set cover.

We are also preparing for a major software change at school; to my slightly cynical eyes it’s seems to be going as well as I thought it would…
    I've just had fun and games with the SIMS iPad app. It decided to scramble all my data after I entered it and I do not know why. Caused endless trouble.

Not that the data based as it is on OFQUAL approved assessments would tell anyone much to be fair, but when I'm uploading nonsense I prefer it to be accurate nonsense.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684

LibDems, this is what a decapitation strategy looks like....
    OK, Mr Mark. Next time we will do better......
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    BigRich said:

- 9 Generals arrested;
    - 8 Generals KIA;
    - 14 Colonels KIA;

Just one? Unambitious. Putin seems to be trying to get heads of many.

(I hope you will forgive me that one...especially as autocorrect tried to make 'unambitious' into 'unambiguous' for reasons that defy logic.)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I've just had fun and games with the SIMS iPad app. It decided to scramble all my data after I entered it and I do not know why. Caused endless trouble.

Not that the data based as it is on OFQUAL approved assessments would tell anyone much to be fair, but when I'm uploading nonsense I prefer it to be accurate nonsense.
    When that app works it is great as I don’t have to lug my laptop around the school, but it’s been playing up badly for me too this last week.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

When that app works it is great as I don’t have to lug my laptop around the school, but it’s been playing up badly for me too this last week.
    That's a real relief. I thought it was just me and I must have screwed up somehow!
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,614

rcs1000 said:

I have a teacher friend who never stopped in person teaching throughout the pandemic and their own kids have had COVID twice. Still not had it.

I so far have managed to dodge the bullet, but then I worked from home until end of last year (and still work from home quite a bit), so does Mrs U, and we don't have kids.
    I’ve not (knowingly) had it. At the other extreme, I know someone on their fourth go!
  • Options
    This really doesn't sound very clever.

https://twitter.com/MrKovalenko/status/1507200151689084931?t=iiyjJaxrPJCzDRYJ5D0YxA&s=19

One more sign that #Russian generals throw #soldiers in war as a cannon fodder: they dig trenches and build fortifications in extremely #radioactive Red Forest near #Chernobyl #nuclear power plant. Source: Olexander Syrota, head of Ukrainian Exclusion Zone agency. [Thread⬇️] https://t.co/rtDupmsEK2

[2] Due to the #Chernobyl catastrophe in 1986, the 10 sq. km forest was hit with Gamma #radiation. The pine trees changed color to red. The forest still produces lethal doses of 500+ Millirems/hour. Healthy limit is 1,000/year. 3+ days in there & Rus. soldiers may get sick & die.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

https://twitter.com/MrKovalenko/status/1507200151689084931?t=iiyjJaxrPJCzDRYJ5D0YxA&s=19

One more sign that #Russian generals throw #soldiers in war as a cannon fodder: they dig trenches and build fortifications in extremely #radioactive Red Forest near #Chernobyl #nuclear power plant. Source: Olexander Syrota, head of Ukrainian Exclusion Zone agency. [Thread⬇️] https://t.co/rtDupmsEK2

[2] Due to the #Chernobyl catastrophe in 1986, the 10 sq. km forest was hit with Gamma #radiation. The pine trees changed color to red. The forest still produces lethal doses of 500+ Millirems/hour. Healthy limit is 1,000/year. 3+ days in there & Rus. soldiers may get sick & die.

Hitting something with gamma radiation does not make it radioactive…

I assume they mean it was contaminated with a gamma emitter.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

- 9 Generals arrested;
    - 8 Generals KIA;
    - 14 Colonels KIA;

No more detail than this list. Could be Ukrainian's keeping count - or maybe the Americans. Perhaps even a Moscow whistleblower - the UK/US have been very well informed on Russian internal decision making. Could be it is just the number of Russian generals that have stopped feeding them information....

I had heard that the Russian comms system stopped working in Ukraine when they took out the relay towers. D'oh!

"Lessons will be learnt" as they say. First lesson: don't invade your neighbours, unless you have 10 times the number of body-bags planned.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

That's a real relief. I thought it was just me and I must have screwed up somehow!
    Anything to do with SIMS and the odds are that the software has gone haywire rather than user error.

Next term I should be able to tell you if other programs are different.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Heading up to Assynt/Fisherfield/Torridon.

Incredible forecast. Life is good.

https://www.mwis.org.uk/forecasts/scottish/the-northwest-highlands

Heavenly. You lucky so and so!
  • Options

Foxy said:

Presumably so. It certainly sounds heavily contaminated. The soil probably even more so. I wouldn't want to be in a trench there.
  • Options

BigRich said:

- 9 Generals arrested;
    - 8 Generals KIA;
    - 14 Colonels KIA;

Plus (according to one report I saw) one colonel run over by a tank driven by a disgruntled subordinate. He survived as it only went over his legs.
    I hope that subordinate gets a medal :)
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Heading up to Assynt/Fisherfield/Torridon.

Incredible forecast. Life is good.

https://www.mwis.org.uk/forecasts/scottish/the-northwest-highlands

So jealous. Have a great time.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

One does wonder about the quality of the Russian military command. Were they like that in WWII. or was it just numbers, and the fact that the Nazi's had 'upset' the locals in every country they visited.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140
    Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

I know it was not what I should take away from all this, but Mr Hebblethwaite may just be the most English name I've ever seen.

I take issue with a part of the final paragraph though. I don't think the outrage is itself faux outrage, it is merely inconsistent and hypocritical outrage given the approach endosed previously.

"thwaite" is Norse word, meaning "meadow". I don't know who or what a hebble is.
    There is of course a river Hebble in Yorkshire.
    This is why I'm inclined to think that there is more than 1 root/route to hebble. I would imagine that the river is named after roses growing along the bank, rather than its bridge. But I can quite imagine that the the towns are named after the bridge they grew up around.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    edited March 2022

rcs1000 said:

I’ve not (knowingly) had it. At the other extreme, I know someone on their fourth go!
    Not knowingly had it either. A friend was seriously exposed twice and didn't get it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Presumably so. It certainly sounds heavily contaminated. The soil probably even more so. I wouldn't want to be in a trench there.
    Any alpha or beta emitters will be safe assuming the soldiers are all able to avoid getting any soil on their skin, or in their food, or breathing in any dust…
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

BigRich said:

- 9 Generals arrested;
    - 8 Generals KIA;
    - 14 Colonels KIA;

Just one? Unambitious. Putin seems to be trying to get heads of many.

(I hope you will forgive me that one...especially as autocorrect tried to make 'unambitious' into 'unambiguous' for reasons that defy logic.)
    LOL There is nothing to forgive, I do laugh at my own mistakes, and would be disappointed if others felt they could not join in, at least when its funny!!!!

I would also love to know more about the arrested Generals
  • Options

Mornin' As my MP, Ms Patel would say! Ms Cycefree, as you indicate, a contemptible state of affairs.

I am NOT going to discuss the header, or my health. I'm going to be positive. Mrs C and I went out for a meal last night at a local pub; very pleasant, and to my amazement an excellent glass of a very smooth Merlot. Mrs C had a very good Pinot Grigio.

Or perhaps your good lady is doing some consultancy for them, on the quiet? "Oh, he'll like this Merlot...."
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,262
    edited March 2022

rcs1000 said:

Me neither despite people around me getting it. I'm very careful and always wear a mask in shops and use my stick to keep people at a safer distance*.

But it only takes one slip up I guess. I really don't want to get it for health reasons. Nasty virus which is spreading fast again in the UK and hospital admissions are rising. The Government have this appallingly wrong.

(*NB Boulay I don't hit them with it, I use it as a safe distancing device.)
  • Options
    kjh said:

rcs1000 said:

Not knowingly had it either.
    After your hospital trip, too. Hospitals are a notorious source of infection. Captain Sir Tom is an example!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Foxy said:

I saw a documentary, exposure to high level of gamma radiation turns people into the Hulk. A Russian division populated by Hulk like soldiers could turn the tide, Cunning.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Oh, I'm tempted.

Try one. They seem to be selling out

It is the sharpest knife I have ever used. Unbelievably good

However I emphasise this is when using them fresh out of the box. Can I hone this knife to its original sharpness? We shall see

Even if I can't, they are beautiful looking things: in a primal, Cornish, Anglo-Celtic Mad Max kinda way, and would make a great and unusual present for a cheffy relative or friend.

I honestly have no personal commercial interest in this business! Tho I do like the fact this mad bloke hand-hammers these devilish bastards out of recycled car metal atop Bodmin Moor. He's a dude
    Might I suggest. https://knifesharp.co.uk/
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

There is no need whatsoever for this complacent approach.

We should continue to be cautious, mitigate its spread and protect the vulnerable.

Otherwise we will continue to cause needless deaths, which doesn't bother capitalists but does concern those of us with a heart and soul.
  • Options

Or perhaps your good lady is doing some consultancy for them, on the quiet? "Oh, he'll like this Merlot...."
    Liked, and the thought, but not unless she's got a secret stash of cash I don't know about. Always says what I earn is ours, what she she earns is hers.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

We should continue to be cautious, mitigate its spread and protect the vulnerable.

Otherwise we will continue to cause needless deaths, which doesn't bother capitalists but does concern those of us with a heart and soul.
    “Capitalists”? What is this, 1950s Moscow?
  • Options
    felix said:

Taz said:

felix said:

dixiedean said:

Very much like my home town of Sunderland - almost the whole town went Labour - even the leafiest and poshest wards for several years. Over the past few years slowly they have moved back into the blue camp - as a result in 2019 all 3 Sunderland seats moved back into marginal territory. I should think they are now safe Labour again although Sunderland Central will still have a good Conservative showing. I taught in Dartford for many years - a Labour seat after 1997 but the whole north Kent area is now packed with lower m/c safe blue seats. In many ways much of the north-east is similar outside the urban Newcastle zone and will remain susceptible to the blues if the political climate changes again. Too many on here don't really understand the 'redwall' mentality at all.
    Ah, right, I didn’t realise you’re a Mackem. You’re right. People think these red wall seats are all grinding poverty and back to back terraces. Sunderland has some lovely areas which if they were where you are now would be rock solid Tory.
  • Options

I don't know what P&O Ferries expect as fallout for their decision, but I've just cancelled a booking I had with them for late June. I've lost 15% of the fare and rebooked with Stena for a shorter crossing with more driving. Looking at reviews of Stena by staff, they seem on the whole fairly happy with Stena.

It's a very poor situation where mainly Filipino seafarers can be made to work for less than half of our minimum wage, a long way from home, in conditions totally dominated by their employers. There is also the safety issue of long hours working for a company comfortable with breaking the law, relying on safety inspections from countries like Cyprus. Notably P&O have not sacked Netherlands or French staff.

I am not at all confident that P&O Ferries will even be trading by June after this disastrous decision, which is another consideration customers need to think about.

I know they are separate companies, but I wonder if the directors of the cruise line are getting worried.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    Andy_JS said:

City of London held its election yesterday.

Results:
    https://www.agrayarea.info/cityoflondon2022.pdf

Thanks - I would have missed that and I love quirky elections and admin!
  • Options
    Taz said:

felix said:

Taz said:

felix said:

dixiedean said:

Ah, right, I didn’t realise you’re a Mackem. You’re right. People think these red wall seats are all grinding poverty and back to back terraces. Sunderland has some lovely areas which if they were where you are now would be rock solid Tory.
    Fulwell, and other areas North of Roker, if memory serves.
  • Options
    Some people are just lucky I think. Fox jr1 has never had it, despite working throughout from the office, and going to football stadia unmasked. Neither has his other half who works as a teaching assistant.

Despite measures still being in place at work, it is pretty rampant. About 25% of hospital patients with it catch it after admission, and staff are constantly coming down with it. Indeed I am covering again for a colleague who got it yesterday.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631

kjh said:

rcs1000 said:

Not knowingly had it either.
    After your hospital trip, too. Hospitals are a notorious source of infection. Captain Sir Tom is an example!
    Yep and I travelled during the peak as well. 3 trips to Europe, eating out every night.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

I saw a documentary, exposure to high level of gamma radiation turns people into the Hulk. A Russian division populated by Hulk like soldiers could turn the tide, Cunning.
    Ah, but the Ukrainians had a research facility shared with the Yanks, where soldiers were bitten by radioactive spiders. That's why the Russians have to level all the buildings as they go forward - to stop them sneaky Ukrainians using spidy-webs....

I read about it on Twitter.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    Foxy said:

Some people are just lucky I think. Fox jr1 has never had it, despite working throughout from the office, and going to football stadia unmasked. Neither has his other half who works as a teaching assistant.

Despite measures still being in place at work, it is pretty rampant. About 25% of hospital patients with it catch it after admission, and staff are constantly coming down with it. Indeed I am covering again for a colleague who got it yesterday.

Which begs the question why do anything about it if so rampant ? If 25% are getting it in hospital (the one place where measures are in place) why bother staff isolating if they have it but well enough to work?
  • Options

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

What an utterly ridiculous last sentence @Heathener
  • Options
    Taz said:

felix said:

Taz said:

felix said:

dixiedean said:

Pretty much every town or city has some lovely areas, and some really horrible ones, just the proportions vary.
  • Options
    Disturbing study that for the first time has found micro-plastics in human blood.

We are destroying this planet and human life on earth. Pandemics, wars, climate change.

Industrialisation and capitalism: the systematic rape of life on earth.

https://news.sky.com/story/microplastics-found-in-human-blood-for-first-time-after-scientists-make-concerning-finding-12574356
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,951
    Heathener said:

We are destroying this planet and human life on earth. Pandemics, wars, climate change.

Industrialisation and capitalism: the systematic rape of life on earth.

The matrix is a documentary
  • Options

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

No it's 2022 green revolution. People turning their backs on modern life and returning to simpler, greener, truer, more nature-based and off-grid ways of living.

The pandemic has caused some people to recalibrate. I wish it were more and it may yet be.
This discussion has been closed.