Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Do as I do – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,409
    edited March 2022

I don't know what P&O Ferries expect as fallout for their decision, but I've just cancelled a booking I had with them for late June. I've lost 15% of the fare and rebooked with Stena for a shorter crossing with more driving. Looking at reviews of Stena by staff, they seem on the whole fairly happy with Stena.

It's a very poor situation where mainly Filipino seafarers can be made to work for less than half of our minimum wage, a long way from home, in conditions totally dominated by their employers. There is also the safety issue of long hours working for a company comfortable with breaking the law, relying on safety inspections from countries like Cyprus. Notably P&O have not sacked Netherlands or French staff.

I am not at all confident that P&O Ferries will even be trading by June after this disastrous decision, which is another consideration customers need to think about.

I know they are separate companies, but I wonder if the directors of the cruise line are getting worried.
    As far as I know most if not all cruise companies have similar crew wages and conditions
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,843

Foxy said:

Some people are just lucky I think. Fox jr1 has never had it, despite working throughout from the office, and going to football stadia unmasked. Neither has his other half who works as a teaching assistant.

Despite measures still being in place at work, it is pretty rampant. About 25% of hospital patients with it catch it after admission, and staff are constantly coming down with it. Indeed I am covering again for a colleague who got it yesterday.

Which begs the question why do anything about it if so rampant ? If 25% are getting it in hospital (the one place where measures are in place) why bother staff isolating if they have it but well enough to work?
    To stop the rest of the staff getting it, and even more patients.

Pretty much everyone at work who has had Omicron was too unwell for work and grotty for at least a week. It is not being asymptomatic.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,422

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Do we have a pool on last PBer to catch COVID?

I have so far managed to avoid it, even when my 11 year old son had it.
    You might be one of the 5-10% who are, supposedly, naturally immune and will never get it?

I wouldn't rely on that, tho. My 20-something niece in Falmouth was congratulating herself on this status, even as her husband went down with the lurgy for the Nth time.... and then she caught it, and now she is feeling shite

We will all get it, barring a few genuinely lucky immunological weirdoes
    I have a relative who throughout the pandemic wasn't exactly very careful and only got double jabbed, but weirdly became a test-aholic. They dodged it until last week.

I have a load of in personal meetings lined up over the coming months through out the country, so I shall be awaiting my call...
    Right now my older daughter, my niece, my niece's husband, my stepmother, and one of my best male friends: all have it (and all of them for the first time)

This wave is mopping up everyone who has avoided it until now, or so it feels. But much better they get it now, when we have mollifying vaccines and when the variant is mild, than some other time
    There is no need whatsoever for this complacent approach.

We should continue to be cautious, mitigate its spread and protect the vulnerable.

Otherwise we will continue to cause needless deaths, which doesn't bother capitalists but does concern those of us with a heart and soul.
    “Capitalists”? What is this, 1950s Moscow?
    What an utterly ridiculous last sentence @Heathener
    Ridiculous you say? Ridiculous is a human race raping the earth: directly causing climate change, plastic to fill our oceans, wars, pandemics through appalling health food standards, flying pieces of fruit half way around the world, belching out fumes from cars driven on depleting natural resources. I could go on and on but if you want to see ridiculous hold a mirror up to the modern world.

Many of us have had enough and we are taking action for ourselves against it. I don't expect you to get it, but your grandchildren are.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Disturbing study that for the first time has found micro-plastics in human blood.

We are destroying this planet and human life on earth. Pandemics, wars, climate change.

Industrialisation and capitalism: the systematic rape of life on earth.

https://news.sky.com/story/microplastics-found-in-human-blood-for-first-time-after-scientists-make-concerning-finding-12574356

And communism slaughtering innocent men women and children in Ukraine receives a pass does it ?
  • Options
    Its a great header, and does indeed demonstrate a new political truism - the rule of law no longer applies.

This is what happens when you have a PM and most of the cabinet who are liars, charlatans and/or morons.

The challenge is how the powers that be clamp down on P&OF-style outrages. The government have no moral authority and no interest in acting. The only legal failing on P&OF appears to be not consulting the union - are this lot really going into battle to stand up for unionised workers? The "they broke the law and we'll have them" defence of the Big Dog at PMQs fell apart - what a surprise - when it turned out that he was clueless about the law.

So that is the P&OF calculation. A slap on the wrist and thats it. The fear now is what other similar outrages are coming. Fire and rehire is exactly what the Jacob Rees-Mogg Singapore-on-Thames Brexiteers had in mind anyway, and we know how in hoc the Big Dog is to people like Steve Baker...
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441

Thanks yet again, Cyclefree!

Beyond the issue of a Minister of Crown green-lighting violations of law - international or otherwise - on grounds of "necessity, my question is this:

Can CEO of P&O be judged in contempt of the House of Commons? And Lords?

Ain't got a vote, but sure seems that way to me.

Just a day or so, to make the point that such pirates can NOT come before a parliamentary committee then brag about breaking the law and their determination to do it again if (they think it) need be.

EDIT - BTW, do we know approximate size & remuneration of P&O "payroll vote" in Parliament? Am assuming it is greater than zero both ways.

Anyone can be held in contempt of parliament, but he has not done anything to justify such a judgement. To be judged in contempt of parliament you must interfere with parliamentary privilege or obstruct parliament or a member of either house from performing their duties.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,334

Taz said:

felix said:

Taz said:

felix said:

dixiedean said:

Good Tory hold in Seghill and Seaton Delaval in Northumberland. Tories hold their Majority on the council. Well done for Stodge and dixiedean for calling it.

Labour certainly has major issues at a local level in Blyth Valley constituency which was apparent last year. Labour also got 73% in this ward in 2013.

The Budget clearly a disaster in northern red wa...hang on, that can't be right.....
    If you think Seghill is the Red Wall you clearly haven't visited recently.
    Either way the swing is very clear. Also shows the wobbly thinking there is about what the 'Redwall' means. It was never thousands of benefit claimants, etc suddenly voting Tory. It was more the lower m/c in parts of the north and Midlands voting Tory as their counterparts, in eg, the Medway towns have been doing for the past 10years or so. Of course there has veen some swing back in the past year or so generally and many of the seats could revert to Labour still. I actually doubt if it will be all of them but 2 years out from a GE none of us really know.
    As I said yesterday, knowing this area reasonably well, the surprise for me is that this area was staunch labour for so long. Although dixiedean is quite right this is not what you would call archetypal red wall it was still labour a few years back. I expect some seats will swing back to labour but others will keep trending Tory as they have been doing for several elections.
    Very much like my home town of Sunderland - almost the whole town went Labour - even the leafiest and poshest wards for several years. Over the past few years slowly they have moved back into the blue camp - as a result in 2019 all 3 Sunderland seats moved back into marginal territory. I should think they are now safe Labour again although Sunderland Central will still have a good Conservative showing. I taught in Dartford for many years - a Labour seat after 1997 but the whole north Kent area is now packed with lower m/c safe blue seats. In many ways much of the north-east is similar outside the urban Newcastle zone and will remain susceptible to the blues if the political climate changes again. Too many on here don't really understand the 'redwall' mentality at all.
    Ah, right, I didn’t realise you’re a Mackem. You’re right. People think these red wall seats are all grinding poverty and back to back terraces. Sunderland has some lovely areas which if they were where you are now would be rock solid Tory.
    Fulwell, and other areas North of Roker, if memory serves.
    Yes, they are. Parts of Washington and Houghton are nice too. Penshaw is nice.

The run up from Roker to South Shields is lovely along the coast. We are going to Roker tomorrow and will walk up the coast to Latimers, have a cuppa grab some fish for dinner and walk back.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Good morning, everyone.

Heathener, what's your alternative to capitalism?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Some people are just lucky I think. Fox jr1 has never had it, despite working throughout from the office, and going to football stadia unmasked. Neither has his other half who works as a teaching assistant.

Despite measures still being in place at work, it is pretty rampant. About 25% of hospital patients with it catch it after admission, and staff are constantly coming down with it. Indeed I am covering again for a colleague who got it yesterday.

Which begs the question why do anything about it if so rampant ? If 25% are getting it in hospital (the one place where measures are in place) why bother staff isolating if they have it but well enough to work?
    To stop the rest of the staff getting it, and even more patients.

Pretty much everyone at work who has had Omicron was too unwell for work and grotty for at least a week. It is not being asymptomatic.
    Yep my ex was very cavalier about this virus saying that we should all just learn to live with, then he went down with it a week ago and has completely changed his tune. Says he has felt really grotty and that it's a horrible virus. His new partner is really ill with it.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,758
    edited March 2022

I don't know what P&O Ferries expect as fallout for their decision, but I've just cancelled a booking I had with them for late June. I've lost 15% of the fare and rebooked with Stena for a shorter crossing with more driving. Looking at reviews of Stena by staff, they seem on the whole fairly happy with Stena.

It's a very poor situation where mainly Filipino seafarers can be made to work for less than half of our minimum wage, a long way from home, in conditions totally dominated by their employers. There is also the safety issue of long hours working for a company comfortable with breaking the law, relying on safety inspections from countries like Cyprus. Notably P&O have not sacked Netherlands or French staff.

I am not at all confident that P&O Ferries will even be trading by June after this disastrous decision, which is another consideration customers need to think about.

According to the Chief Exec testifying in Parliament yesterday, there are very few Dutch / French staff. and they are employed via the same contract arrangements as UK staff.

Not sure that that point is notable, even though FBPE types were furiously shouting about it on Twitter.

My current impression is that what P&O have done seems to be legal, since it follows quite precisely the model used by Irish Ferries in 2005, and they are not UK flagged ships, without afaics Uk contracts.

I'm at a loss why he admitted 'breaking the law'; I'm not at all sure he did.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

You might be one of the 5-10% who are, supposedly, naturally immune and will never get it?

I wouldn't rely on that, tho. My 20-something niece in Falmouth was congratulating herself on this status, even as her husband went down with the lurgy for the Nth time.... and then she caught it, and now she is feeling shite

I have a relative who throughout the pandemic wasn't exactly very careful and only got double jabbed, but weirdly became a test-aholic. They dodged it until last week.

I have a load of in personal meetings lined up over the coming months through out the country, so I shall be awaiting my call...
    Right now my older daughter, my niece, my niece's husband, my stepmother, and one of my best male friends: all have it (and all of them for the first time)

This wave is mopping up everyone who has avoided it until now, or so it feels. But much better they get it now, when we have mollifying vaccines and when the variant is mild, than some other time

We should continue to be cautious, mitigate its spread and protect the vulnerable.

Otherwise we will continue to cause needless deaths, which doesn't bother capitalists but does concern those of us with a heart and soul.
    Ridiculous you say? Ridiculous is a human race raping the earth: directly causing climate change, plastic to fill our oceans, wars, pandemics through appalling health food standards, flying pieces of fruit half way around the world, belching out fumes from cars driven on depleting natural resources. I could go on and on but if you want to see ridiculous hold a mirror up to the modern world.

Many of us have had enough and we are taking action for ourselves against it. I don't expect you to get it, but your grandchildren are.
    I think it's more the singling out of capitalism as being OK with unnecessary deaths. Holodomor, Great Famine, Killing Fields...
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

You readily attack capitalism, but not a word about communism which is waging a criminal war in Ukraine and China, the world's largest polluter
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,506
    Andy_JS said:

City of London held its election yesterday.

Results:
    https://www.agrayarea.info/cityoflondon2022.pdf

A reasonable number of defending councillors who lost their seats, in an election often seen as a cosy stitch up.

Who are the TFF who swept the board in Farringdon?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,079
    edited March 2022
    Taz said:

Taz said:

felix said:

Taz said:

felix said:

dixiedean said:

Good Tory hold in Seghill and Seaton Delaval in Northumberland. Tories hold their Majority on the council. Well done for Stodge and dixiedean for calling it.

Labour certainly has major issues at a local level in Blyth Valley constituency which was apparent last year. Labour also got 73% in this ward in 2013.

The Budget clearly a disaster in northern red wa...hang on, that can't be right.....
    Either way the swing is very clear. Also shows the wobbly thinking there is about what the 'Redwall' means. It was never thousands of benefit claimants, etc suddenly voting Tory. It was more the lower m/c in parts of the north and Midlands voting Tory as their counterparts, in eg, the Medway towns have been doing for the past 10years or so. Of course there has veen some swing back in the past year or so generally and many of the seats could revert to Labour still. I actually doubt if it will be all of them but 2 years out from a GE none of us really know.
    As I said yesterday, knowing this area reasonably well, the surprise for me is that this area was staunch labour for so long. Although dixiedean is quite right this is not what you would call archetypal red wall it was still labour a few years back. I expect some seats will swing back to labour but others will keep trending Tory as they have been doing for several elections.
    Very much like my home town of Sunderland - almost the whole town went Labour - even the leafiest and poshest wards for several years. Over the past few years slowly they have moved back into the blue camp - as a result in 2019 all 3 Sunderland seats moved back into marginal territory. I should think they are now safe Labour again although Sunderland Central will still have a good Conservative showing. I taught in Dartford for many years - a Labour seat after 1997 but the whole north Kent area is now packed with lower m/c safe blue seats. In many ways much of the north-east is similar outside the urban Newcastle zone and will remain susceptible to the blues if the political climate changes again. Too many on here don't really understand the 'redwall' mentality at all.
    Ah, right, I didn’t realise you’re a Mackem. You’re right. People think these red wall seats are all grinding poverty and back to back terraces. Sunderland has some lovely areas which if they were where you are now would be rock solid Tory.

The run up from Roker to South Shields is lovely along the coast. We are going to Roker tomorrow and will walk up the coast to Latimers, have a cuppa grab some fish for dinner and walk back.
    Is the Marsden Grotto still there? Used to be a place to take a girl one wanted to impress, again if memory serves. I'm thinking 60+ years ago, mind!
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441
    ydoethur said:

Thanks yet again, Cyclefree!

Beyond the issue of a Minister of Crown green-lighting violations of law - international or otherwise - on grounds of "necessity, my question is this:

Can CEO of P&O be judged in contempt of the House of Commons? And Lords?

Ain't got a vote, but sure seems that way to me.

Just a day or so, to make the point that such pirates can NOT come before a parliamentary committee then brag about breaking the law and their determination to do it again if (they think it) need be.

I just cannot understand what he was thinking. Did he really assume that he would be able to say, 'yes we know the law, but it didn't suit us so we ignored it?' and that MPs would accept that?

This isn't a fecking speeding offence. Either the law applies, or it doesn't. If it does, he's just left his company with no defence at all when he is sued. If it doesn't, then in saying it does he's clearly so stupid he shouldn't even be running the DfE never mind a private company.

Utter madness. This is a company that whatever its financial state is clearly in the last throes of collapse.
    Failing to consult with workers before making them redundant is not a criminal offence. It allows employees to make a claim against the employer. If successful, the employee will be awarded up to 90 days pay. Given the reported level of payouts, it is not clear that employees would receive any compensation for the lack of consultation.

Failing to notify the government is a criminal offence but it is not clear that P&O has committed that offence given that most of their ferries are not UK registered.
  • Options

Foxy said:

This really doesn't sound very clever.

https://twitter.com/MrKovalenko/status/1507200151689084931?t=iiyjJaxrPJCzDRYJ5D0YxA&s=19

One more sign that #Russian generals throw #soldiers in war as a cannon fodder: they dig trenches and build fortifications in extremely #radioactive Red Forest near #Chernobyl #nuclear power plant. Source: Olexander Syrota, head of Ukrainian Exclusion Zone agency. [Thread⬇️] https://t.co/rtDupmsEK2

[2] Due to the #Chernobyl catastrophe in 1986, the 10 sq. km forest was hit with Gamma #radiation. The pine trees changed color to red. The forest still produces lethal doses of 500+ Millirems/hour. Healthy limit is 1,000/year. 3+ days in there & Rus. soldiers may get sick & die.

One does wonder about the quality of the Russian military command. Were they like that in WWII. or was it just numbers, and the fact that the Nazi's had 'upset' the locals in every country they visited.
    In WWII they had machine guns positioned behind their advancing troops, to gun down any who thought it safer to retreat rather than go forward into enemy fire. Care for their own troops was never the Russian USP.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    Yep - we have a government that does not believe it is obliged to act legally insisting that others must. But, then, we also have a government that, while claiming to believe in freedom, has presided over the greatest loss of individual freedom inflicted on UK citizens and businesses in living memory; and one that, while trumpeting its unshakeable belief in democracy, has significantly reduced Parliamentary scrutiny of its actions, while legislating to criminalise peaceful protest and making it harder to vote.

Go figure!
  • Options

If you're going Harwich-Hook of Holland, that's a great route, on the largest two ferries in the world.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,104
    Cyclefree said:

I must say I am vaguely tempted by this.

https://publicappointments.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/appointment/chair-post-office-limited/

I know all about culture change and banking. I am independent - possibly too much so, have personal resilience and won't take any shit from anyone. And I have huge experience clearing up other's shit. Etc etc.

On the other hand it wouldn't exactly be an easy life ...

Hmm .....🤔

Go for it.

We don’t have enough talented and hardworking people in public life
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Good morning, everyone.

Heathener, what's your alternative to capitalism?

I'd like us to return to local communities living closer to the land and off-grid. I only keep my car because of my son. Otherwise I'd walk everywhere or use public transport. A lot of people can work from home but companies like to control people and their thoughts.

We can grow our own food stuffs and power our homes through solar, wind and/or geothermal.

Money is a means of control: a way of subjugating the masses and enchaining them.

I recognise that most people on here will hoot with derision but it's a point of view I happen to believe in passionately which is why I often seem to left-field and alternative. (That of course is another example of control: if someone is that alternative they are ostracised and accused of being a troll. Anything to stop them challenging the status quo.)

The world has entered a dystopian nightmare but some of us are getting off the conveyor belt.

p.s. Well worth watching Ben Fogle's New Lives in the Wild. Lots of fabulous examples.

https://www.channel5.com/show/ben-fogle-new-lives-in-the-wild/
  • Options
    Foxy said:

But how regularly would you need to test in order to be sure you hadn't had it asymptomatically? As I recall, the period when an LFT tests positive can be as short as a few days?
  • Options
    Aslan said:

kle4 said:

ping said:

tlg86 said:

Lol at Italy.

WTF?!!!
    Italy 0-1 North Macedonia

How?
    The strength of Alexander the Great.
    Alexander the Great was Greek.
    Goodie another pointless argument

He was born and brought up in Macedonia - his father was the conquerer of Greece
  • Options

Its a great header, and does indeed demonstrate a new political truism - the rule of law no longer applies.

This is what happens when you have a PM and most of the cabinet who are liars, charlatans and/or morons.

The challenge is how the powers that be clamp down on P&OF-style outrages. The government have no moral authority and no interest in acting. The only legal failing on P&OF appears to be not consulting the union - are this lot really going into battle to stand up for unionised workers? The "they broke the law and we'll have them" defence of the Big Dog at PMQs fell apart - what a surprise - when it turned out that he was clueless about the law.

So that is the P&OF calculation. A slap on the wrist and thats it. The fear now is what other similar outrages are coming. Fire and rehire is exactly what the Jacob Rees-Mogg Singapore-on-Thames Brexiteers had in mind anyway, and we know how in hoc the Big Dog is to people like Steve Baker...

As it so happens Grant Shapps has just announced on the BBC that legislation is being introduced in the HOC next week in cooperation with labour to outlaw the methods and practices that P & O and their shocking boss undertook
  • Options

Taz said:

Taz said:

felix said:

Taz said:

felix said:

dixiedean said:

Is the Marsden Grotto still there? Used to be a place to take a girl one wanted to impress, again if memory serves. I'm thinking 60+ years ago, mind!
    I think of myself as old but that’s before I was born 😂😂😂

South Shields is one place I’ve never really been to in the north east but a quick check on Google shows it is.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

You readily attack capitalism, but not a word about communism which is waging a criminal war in Ukraine and China, the world's largest polluter
    I loathe communism. It's another form of oligarchy and control and, yes, horrendous pollution. When combined with capitalism it can be particularly devastating.

Not sure Putin's Russia is really communist these days though is it?
  • Options

Heathener said:

Disturbing study that for the first time has found micro-plastics in human blood.

We are destroying this planet and human life on earth. Pandemics, wars, climate change.

https://news.sky.com/story/microplastics-found-in-human-blood-for-first-time-after-scientists-make-concerning-finding-12574356

And communism slaughtering innocent men women and children in Ukraine receives a pass does it ?
    'Trolling Today' doesn't need new readers ;)
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

I think it's more the singling out of capitalism as being OK with unnecessary deaths. Holodomor, Great Famine, Killing Fields...
    Yep. The evil that men do.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Foxy said:

Taz said:

felix said:

Taz said:

felix said:

dixiedean said:

Pretty much every town or city has some lovely areas, and some really horrible ones, just the proportions vary.
    Don't tell the *&^% Southerners.

They'll all want to come and live here.

My road is already suffering a modest invasion.

:smile:
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

https://publicappointments.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/appointment/chair-post-office-limited/

I know all about culture change and banking. I am independent - possibly too much so, have personal resilience and won't take any shit from anyone. And I have huge experience clearing up other's shit. Etc etc.

Hmm .....🤔

Go for it.

Appointing a Chair determined to a) get to the bottom of what happened and b) make sure those who dropped the poor sub-postmasters in it would quite probably cause a wave of early retirements!
  • Options

As it so happens Grant Shapps has just announced on the BBC that legislation is being introduced in the HOC next week in cooperation with labour to outlaw the methods and practices that P & O and their shocking boss undertook

Having previously sought to legislate so that it could break international law.

• Options

All good politics but P&O already admitted they broke the law anyway.
  • Options

Aslan said:

kle4 said:

ping said:

tlg86 said:

Lol at Italy.

WTF?!!!

How?

He was born and brought up in Macedonia - his father was the conquerer of Greece
    A phenomenally ill-informed post. The concept of Greekness had at the time almost zero correlation with what you think you mean by "Greece;" there were undoubted Greeks born and brought up on the Black Sea, Turkish seaboard, North Africa, Sicily, Marseilles...
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Results:

A reasonable number of defending councillors who lost their seats, in an election often seen as a cosy stitch up.

Temple & Farringdon Together

https://templeandfarringdon.com/our-commitments/

Seem pretty uncontroversial...
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Taz said:

All good politics but P&O already admitted they broke the law anyway.
    Has grant Shapps demonstrated that his new law will apply to the situation at P&O, or indeed can be made to apply?

An unintended consequence may be more ships flagging out, a thing all UK Governents have been trying to reverse with some success for 20 years.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

The last resort of the feeble minded.

Address my issues ... or does it frighten you so much?

You've never got over the fact or forgiven me that I said Jeremy Corbyn is an anti-semite, which he is. That's so very Left. If you want to see real nastiness at work, just look at the Corbynistas and their accolytes on twitter.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Cyclefree said:

Hmm .....🤔

Go for it.

Appointing a Chair determined to a) get to the bottom of what happened and b) make sure those who dropped the poor sub-postmasters in it would quite probably cause a wave of early retirements!
    And it's Chair, not Chief Executive. You'd be on TV explaining the aftermath more than actually clearing it up. For the next few years it's essentially a PR/marketing/reputation recovery job. Plus tons of politics behind the scenes dealing with your owner. And doing your best to constrain the greed of the executive team.
  • Options

Aslan said:

kle4 said:

ping said:

tlg86 said:

Lol at Italy.

WTF?!!!

How?
    brought up in Macedonia
    On which topic, I had to smile at last night's match. The Italians were up to some play acting tricks in the latter stages when North Macedonia scored and sent them out. Good fun unless you are Italian.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

This really doesn't sound very clever.

https://twitter.com/MrKovalenko/status/1507200151689084931?t=iiyjJaxrPJCzDRYJ5D0YxA&s=19

One more sign that #Russian generals throw #soldiers in war as a cannon fodder: they dig trenches and build fortifications in extremely #radioactive Red Forest near #Chernobyl #nuclear power plant. Source: Olexander Syrota, head of Ukrainian Exclusion Zone agency. [Thread⬇️] https://t.co/rtDupmsEK2

[2] Due to the #Chernobyl catastrophe in 1986, the 10 sq. km forest was hit with Gamma #radiation. The pine trees changed color to red. The forest still produces lethal doses of 500+ Millirems/hour. Healthy limit is 1,000/year. 3+ days in there & Rus. soldiers may get sick & die.

Hitting something with gamma radiation does not make it radioactive…

I assume they mean it was contaminated with a gamma emitter.
    I saw a documentary, exposure to high level of gamma radiation turns people into the Hulk. A Russian division populated by Hulk like soldiers could turn the tide, Cunning.
    Up to a point. Might explain those lost tank numbers though....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_TuUr6-dC0
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422

Aslan said:

kle4 said:

ping said:

tlg86 said:

Lol at Italy.

WTF?!!!

How?

As Sid Wadall knew when he said his famous darts quote

When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer … [Eric] Bristow's only 27."
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Results:

I reckon they (some at least) may be closet LibDems.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,300

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Can you describe which parts of the Communist Manifesto Putin subscribes to most enthusiastically?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

You've never got over the fact or forgiven me that I said Jeremy Corbyn is an anti-semite, which he is. That's so very Left. If you want to see real nastiness at work, just look at the Corbynistas and their accolytes on twitter.
    That's the second time you've made such an absurd suggestion, which regular PB'ers will know is a ridiculous claim given my politics. But congratulations on more top trolling, forcing a response.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Hmm .....🤔

Go for it.

And it's Chair, not Chief Executive. You'd be on TV explaining the aftermath more than actually clearing it up. For the next few years it's essentially a PR/marketing/reputation recovery job. Plus tons of politics behind the scenes dealing with your owner.
    Take the point, but, from what I've seen here and in her blog, I suspect Chair Cyclefree would be getting 'out and about' in the organisation, and having regular in depth discussions with the CE.
  • Options
    MattW said:

According to the Chief Exec testifying in Parliament yesterday, there are very few Dutch / French staff. and they are employed via the same contract arrangements as UK staff.

Not sure that that point is notable, even though FBPE types were furiously shouting about it on Twitter.

My current impression is that what P&O have done seems to be legal, since it follows quite precisely the model used by Irish Ferries in 2005, and they are not UK flagged ships, without afaics Uk contracts.

Its one of those strange things that happens from time to time - Some jobs seem more worthy of general outrage when threatened than others. When you are told that somebody you know has been made redundant , you generally just shrug and wonder how much money they have got as a pay off .If it happens to you you generally accept the pay- off and move on - For some reason some jobs have to attract this outrage when they are lost . Never quite sure why
  • Options

Now and again, one is reminded of Johnson's strange brilliance.

Asked by Nick Watt about partygate, the PM manages to turn the question around to be about why a free press that can ask such questions is so important and how it would never happen in Putin's Russia. Putin he says would never have invaded Ukr if journalists such as Watt could ask him questions all the time about why he thought it would work or was a good idea.

Naturally, Johnson did not answer the original question. But still...

He deserves credit for chutzpah at least!
  • Options

Foxy said:

Because most people who get it aren't well enough to work. When you employ people it is better to lose one person for a few days as a precaution than lose 10 people for a week.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

That's the second time you've made such an absurd suggestion, which regular PB'ers will know is a ridiculous claim given my politics. But congratulations on more top trolling, forcing a response.
    Was it not you who threatened someone called Tim with the force of lawyers for calling Jeremy Corbyn an anti-semite?

I'm not a troll and you are one of the last remaining people on here to keep at it, which says quite a bit about your incapacity to engage with topics that don't fit your worldview.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Hmm .....🤔

Go for it.

And it's Chair, not Chief Executive. You'd be on TV explaining the aftermath more than actually clearing it up. For the next few years it's essentially a PR/marketing/reputation recovery job. Plus tons of politics behind the scenes dealing with your owner.
    Take the point, but, from what I've seen here and in her blog, I suspect Chair Cyclefree would be getting 'out and about' in the organisation, and having regular in depth discussions with the CE.
    I always find that Chairs can interfere too much ! The worst are those that think they are the operational lead not the CEO
  • Options

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Can you describe which parts of the Communist Manifesto Putin subscribes to most enthusiastically?
    Quite!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,349

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

The Putin regime Communist? Brush up on your Das Kapital.

Putin and his chums are the owners of capital- they stole it when the Soviet Union fell.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Because most people who get it aren't well enough to work. When you employ people it is better to lose one person for a few days as a precaution than lose 10 people for a week.
    but lets face it ,covid is not going away and everyone will get it . immunity needs building up and it might as well start now than having people off work in essential jobs .
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,964
    TimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Apart from any moral qualms, who would want to sail on a ferry operated by an underpaid scratch crew? It must be a safety concern.

That's a tad xenophobic is it not? My understanding is that like nursing, given the likes of the Philippines is traditionally a maritime nation and accounts for one fifth of the world’s seagoing personnel, and it is considered a very reliable source for quality seafarers.

What was revealed today is that the union claims of £2 / hr don't appear to be true. The P&O boss stated min it is £5.5-6.0 / hr, which is above international averages for these jobs.

Doesn't make P&O actions morally right, but it isn't instantly true that because Johnny Foreigner Filipinos on £6/hr means it is a safety concern, anymore than the NHS hiring in lots of trained Filipino nurses over the past 15 years.
    I am not doubting the professional abilities of Philipinos, or whoever. Just that any entirely new crew takes time to work as a team and in a safe way.
    Quite. Poor workplace communication and a stand off relationship between crew and supervisors were two of the reasons for the Zeebrugge disaster in 1987.
    Along with flouting safety rules to meet turn around times (i.e. profits) and working crew so hard they (he) literally fell asleep on the job, while another notices the bow doors were open but did nothing about it (or even tell anyone) because it was not his job.
    Different company, I think? But the concern is the same.

IIRC in the Free Enterprise disaster there were also problems with management communications and decision making ashore. But then many disasters happen when a stream of mistakes come into conjunction. A lets B happen and then all one needs to do is wait for foulup C which isn't remedied cos of poor practice D ...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Hmm .....🤔

". I am independent - possibly too much so, have personal resilience and won't take any shit from anyone"

Things NOT to say at an interview with this lot.
    I'm half inclined to write -

"Unlike Cressida Dick, Dido Harding and Paula Vennells, I am a competent woman who has put the right people in prison. Isn't it about time you tried appointing someone who's good at her job?"

I may dress it up a bit .....

You may have to explain "woman".....

And then competence. It seems to be an ungrasped concept.
    Adult human female.

Competent woman - someone who cleans up the mess made by others.

Next ......
    Cleans up the mess made by adult human males, I'm guessing?
  • Options
    Anyway, I'm off out.

Have a nice day everyone, as far as poss.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Now and again, one is reminded of Johnson's strange brilliance.

Asked by Nick Watt about partygate, the PM manages to turn the question around to be about why a free press that can ask such questions is so important and how it would never happen in Putin's Russia. Putin he says would never have invaded Ukr if journalists such as Watt could ask him questions all the time about why he thought it would work or was a good idea.

Naturally, Johnson did not answer the original question. But still...

"How did that work with Blair and Iraq, PM?" should have been Nick Watts' next question.
    “I think we all recognise the terrible mistake that Labour made in Iraq. But that’s not we are doing here. We are supporting are valiant friends and partners in Ukraine in their defence of freedom.. chunter chunter burble”
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Quite!
    Engels, Trollope, Sassoon - impossible to decide who is the greatest of the fox hunting authors, but Engels pron the most influential.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Hmm .....🤔

Go for it.

I always find that Chairs can interfere too much ! The worst are those that think they are the operational lead not the CEO
    In the situation in which the PO finds itself, I think that they'll need to work in tandem.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

Was it not you who threatened someone called Tim with the force of lawyers for calling Jeremy Corbyn an anti-semite?

I'm not a troll and you are one of the last remaining people on here to keep at it, which says quite a bit about your incapacity to engage with topics that don't fit your worldview.
    No, that wasn't me. So it's time for an apology....

We have been told your IP appears on a list of dodgy addresses, and that won't be because you're signed up to a reputable VPN. And your posts frequently exhibit all the characteristics of trolling.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,300
    Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

You’ve mixed up two posters, I believe it’s bigjohnowls you’re thinking of.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Anyway, I'm off out.

Convenient, just at the point where you need to apologise...
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Anyway, I'm off out.

Other worlds to conquer, other sites to troll.....
  • Options

Lets see what they actually do shall we? As Starmer pointed out the Tories are very good at saying "WE ARE GOING TO BE DOING SOMETHING" and then not do. Like their abstention on the issue on Monday!

This government simply Do Not Care. I know you cling to the hope that there is some basic human decency in there, but there really isn't. Its depressing, its un-British, but it is what it is.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Putin is a communist? Erm no. Putin and his oligarch friends are slash and burn pirate capitalists.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Putin is a communist? Erm no. Putin and his oligarch friends are slash and burn pirate capitalists.
    Putin is not a communist or capitalist - both are pretty clear to see ,not sure why we are pretending he is either
  • Options
    Didn't Johnson say on Wednesday that the government is taking legal action against P&O? Has this started yet?
  • Options
    I rarely agree with Gordon Brown but he is absolutely correct to say that Rishi cannot continue to ignore those suffering from poverty caused by the cost of living crisis
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Didn't Johnson say on Wednesday that the government is taking legal action against P&O? Has this started yet?

P&O has said that their compensation to their (former) employees will cover the compensation they're due for the lack of consultation. So legal action wouldn't serve any purpose other than proving the point - which the unions were on the radio yesterday urging the government to do, for the symbolism - but I'll be surprised if they do. Formally, the redress belongs with the employees - but they won't get a tribunal hearing for months if not longer, and the award would be just what they've been paid already.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

I have no idea if this is Russians, Ukrainians or is from another conflict altogether: but the following is jaw-dropping, funny and potentially tragic:

https://twitter.com/Stuckvisor/status/1507137154065088518

It's obviously not ideal but possibly not as dangerous as it looks. HE rounds are usually fuzed by undergoing forces in magnitude and sequence consistent with being fired from gun - set back, spin and creep. Or maybe it's all on an app or in the cloud these days.
    Well, considering one want bang (perhaps not main charge), I'd argue it was as dangerous as it looks ...
    Yeah, I'm not your guy if you want a dispassionate evaluation of relative danger.
    Genuine LOL. :)

In Cambridge, there is a set of rollers near the millpond that allows punts to be moved down to the middle river. I once tried standing on one as it went down the rollers, with the obvious result.

I can imagine you doing a Slim Pickens on one of those shells...
    Throwing propellant cartridges around while smoking is not a good idea. What I can't tell is if the propellant catridges have primers in them, which would initiate if hit by something - or if they slide down and hit a pointed stone or the pointed end of a shell. That could be an open-air deflagration of their equivalent of cordite rather than an actual explosion of a shell.

In any case the video (if genuine) seems to show that the event is centred on the fighting compartment of the SP. Possibly a hangfire and someone didn't implement misfire drill (basically, wait for xx minutes then cross fingers and remove round) and opened the breech too soon. Poor devils.
  • Options

I rarely agree with Gordon Brown but he is absolutely correct to say that Rishi cannot continue to ignore those suffering from poverty caused by the cost of living crisis

The tricky decision for the government will be when to do more - critical as I am, it wouldn't make sense for them to offer up all their ideas and concessions up front. When a lot of people run into serious newsworthy difficulty, they'll be pressured to do more, whatever they've already done.
  • Options
    Listening to Shappsy the Aeroplane Man on R4.

Pointing out that Electric Autos cost less per month than Fossil-fueled.

Yep.

Road Fund License going up next year, then...
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Anyway, I'm off out.

You too
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

I loathe communism. It's another form of oligarchy and control and, yes, horrendous pollution. When combined with capitalism it can be particularly devastating.

Not sure Putin's Russia is really communist these days though is it?
    LOL you don't really understand the meaning of the words you are using do you.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125
    Leon said:

Saw these on a Rick Stein-in-Cornwall programme the other day

Bought one. Hand forged and hand smithed on Bodmin Moor from recycled high-grade car metal (some obscure engine part, I think)

God's honest truth: this is the best chef's knife I have ever used. Alarmingly sharp. Chops through veg like it is Cornish mist off Carn Brae

The blade will of course get blunt, and I do not know if I can sharpen it back to its present state. But, its present state is WOW

https://www.atkinson-art.co.uk/product-category/wolf-dingo-chef-knives-for-valhalla/

We get all our knives from TOG, excellent and they do great matching chopping boards etc.

https://www.togknives.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/bunka-HOME-2560-1400-v2-1920x900.jpg

https://www.togknives.com/
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    F1: Hulkenberg standing in for Vettel again.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    Heathener said:

Humans have never had it so good. Id think with your attitude youd welcome pandemics as cutting down our numbers is the only significant action to reduce impact.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

No it's 2022 green revolution. People turning their backs on modern life and returning to simpler, greener, truer, more nature-based and off-grid ways of living.

The pandemic has caused some people to recalibrate. I wish it were more and it may yet be.
    Simpler, greener, more nature based living means a life expectancy of about 30 and the most common form of death for women being childbirth.

Oh and a world population of at most a tenth of the current one.
    As 90%+ of the world lives a life of crowded poverty which you would be unable to tolerate for 10 minutes, and crowds out the 99.99999% of the biosphere which is other things than people, why is that a bad thing? Unless you are a religious nutter and think more people = more souls to praise de lawd, why is bigger, better?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The tricky decision for the government will be when to do more - critical as I am, it wouldn't make sense for them to offer up all their ideas and concessions up front. When a lot of people run into serious newsworthy difficulty, they'll be pressured to do more, whatever they've already done.
    It seems Rishi did say in an interview last night he is ready to act in the autumn if the energy prices rise again but the energy price is extremely volatile and it is under constant review

However, I believe he should have given more help to those suffering the most at present
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,864
    IanB2 said:

That smacks of serious callousness tbh - let's wait until people are really suffering before doing anything.

What would you be looking for? People freezing in their homes? Children going to school barefoot? Emaciated hoards raiding the supermarkets?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,864
    Interesting letter in today's Guardian:

"If the chancellor is looking for some extra cash, he might consider cancelling the proposed expenditure of £510m by Thérèse Coffey in pursuit of universal credit fraud. This will bring it neatly into line with the approach adopted by the government in respect of Covid fraud amounting to £4.3bn that is apparently too difficult to pursue."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/mar/24/rishi-sunak-offers-no-help-and-no-hope-to-those-who-are-worst-off
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

I have no idea if this is Russians, Ukrainians or is from another conflict altogether: but the following is jaw-dropping, funny and potentially tragic:

It's obviously not ideal but possibly not as dangerous as it looks. HE rounds are usually fuzed by undergoing forces in magnitude and sequence consistent with being fired from gun - set back, spin and creep. Or maybe it's all on an app or in the cloud these days.
    Well, considering one want bang (perhaps not main charge), I'd argue it was as dangerous as it looks ...
    Yeah, I'm not your guy if you want a dispassionate evaluation of relative danger.

In Cambridge, there is a set of rollers near the millpond that allows punts to be moved down to the middle river. I once tried standing on one as it went down the rollers, with the obvious result.

Throwing propellant cartridges around while smoking is not a good idea. What I can't tell is if the propellant catridges have primers in them, which would initiate if hit by something - or if they slide down and hit a pointed stone or the pointed end of a shell. That could be an open-air deflagration of their equivalent of cordite rather than an actual explosion of a shell.

In any case the video (if genuine) seems to show that the event is centred on the fighting compartment of the SP. Possibly a hangfire and someone didn't implement misfire drill (basically, wait for xx minutes then cross fingers and remove round) and opened the breech too soon. Poor devils.
    Edit: assuming the primers aren't electrical, of course.

Could also be an accident with inflammable liquid in the vehicle.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,178
    edited March 2022
    felix said:

Taz said:

felix said:

dixiedean said:

Plenty of skilled working class voters voting Tory too.

In 2019 remember 38% of the North East voted Conservative while only 32% of London voted Conservative. London is now the Tories worst region in England and Wales, not the North.

Whereas 30 years ago London was the key swing region along with the Midlands and the North was largely safe Labour
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,627
    edited March 2022

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

No it's 2022 green revolution. People turning their backs on modern life and returning to simpler, greener, truer, more nature-based and off-grid ways of living.

The pandemic has caused some people to recalibrate. I wish it were more and it may yet be.
    Simpler, greener, more nature based living means a life expectancy of about 30 and the most common form of death for women being childbirth.

When I see someone advocating substance farming, I feel a strong desire to see them try it.

When I see someone advocating the hunter gatherer lifestyle, I feel a strong desire to see them hunted.

On Communism vs Capitalism, the mind bending levels of pollution in former Communist countries should not surprise. Since in such countries, increasing industrial production at all costs was State Policy. Those opposing State Policy were Enemies Of The State. And we all know what happens to Enemies Of The State, don't we, children...
  • Options

IanB2 said:

It seems Rishi did say in an interview last night he is ready to act in the autumn if the energy prices rise again but the energy price is extremely volatile and it is under constant review

However, I believe he should have given more help to those suffering the most at present
    Yes. The obvious rejoinder to his "We can't help everybody" is "help the worst off, then."

HYUFD provides a seriously valuable service to this site in exposing the reality of tory thought.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

felix said:

Taz said:

felix said:

dixiedean said:

Plenty of skilled working class voters voting Tory too.

In 2019 remember 38% of the North East voted Conservative while only 32% of London voted Conservative. London is now the Tories worst region in England and Wales, not the North.

Whereas 30 years ago London was the key swing region along with the Midlands and the North was largely safe Labour
    Home ownership is a major driver of this. I think Boris realises this band has tried to make some changes to allow for more but it is not happening.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Quite - lots of people are on board with the green stuff, including many conservatives, but when someone's way of advancing that is to rant about capitalism like it's the 1930s and throw in liberal rape metaphors for good measure I'm 100% sure they are not being very serious. Lets mawkishly condemn people with a 'think of the children' too, that'll show we're serious.

Our society needs to adjust to tackle these issues, including adjusting our commercial and economic attitudes, but it's being framed with archaic attitudes that come from the last cold war? Well that's someone fighting the last battle, more concerned with political ideologies of the past, than actually concerned about the issue at hand.

Or more simply, if the 'answer' is the fighting historic ideologies, I'm pretty sure that's their answer to everything.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

When I see someone advocating substance farming, I feel a strong desire to see them try it.

When I see someone advocating the hunter gatherer lifestyle, I feel a strong desire to see them hunted.

On Communism vs Capitalism, the mind bending levels of pollution in former community countries should not surprise. Since in such countries, increasing industrial production at all costs was State Policy. Those opposing State Policy were Enemies Of The State. And we all know what happens to Enemies Of The State, don't we, children...
    Substance farmers provide an invaluable service...

I highly doubt your commie perverts = polluters theory. Per capita, and over history, is it right? Bearing in mind we got our industrial revolution in first and when there was fewer of us. It's easy to say China pollutes most, but also true that it has the most renewables.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

I recall a story from WWII - a submarine in a gun action. All the shells failed to explode.

It turned out that some helpful fool, in the magazine was arming the shells, before passing them up. So they were passing live shells hand to hand in a chain, and the chap at the gun end of the chain, whose job it was to arm the shells, was in fact disarming them....
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,330
    kle4 said:

Heathener said:

Humans have never had it so good. Id think with your attitude youd welcome pandemics as cutting down our numbers is the only significant action to reduce impact.
    "cutting down our numbers is the only significant action to reduce impact" what rubbish.
  • Options
    Video: World leaders meet up in Brussels. Boris Johnson stands awkwardly alone.

https://twitter.com/tradasro/status/1506923395765653510
  • Options

Foxy said:

I really hope come next winter the culture of people being expected to go into the office with colds and coughs for fear of a bad Bradford score goes and people won’t feel compelled to go in when ill. The number of times I’ve seen a cold start in one corner of a large office and work it’s way round in a few weeks.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

As 90%+ of the world lives a life of crowded poverty which you would be unable to tolerate for 10 minutes, and crowds out the 99.99999% of the biosphere which is other things than people, why is that a bad thing? Unless you are a religious nutter and think more people = more souls to praise de lawd, why is bigger, better?
    A smaller population is not itself an unworthy goal. In many places it will happen as birth rates decline as they developed. I do think though people are rather bizarrely dismissive of the impacts of that, as though a massive reduction in population could happen swiftly in any non horrific way.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,559
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Results:

I reckon they (some at least) may be closet LibDems.
    No Conservatives. Who'd have thunk that the City of London is part of the red wall? Just rejoice at that news.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

MattW said:

Its one of those strange things that happens from time to time - Some jobs seem more worthy of general outrage when threatened than others. When you are told that somebody you know has been made redundant , you generally just shrug and wonder how much money they have got as a pay off .If it happens to you you generally accept the pay- off and move on - For some reason some jobs have to attract this outrage when they are lost . Never quite sure why
    Yes - I see that.

But this isn't really about the job in the end - it's about the legal circumstances surrounding the job and the contracts, and how law can be applied. And P&O are right that that is a normal model for the industry.

It's also about a certain amount of grandstanding by Union affiliated and other MPs, I think. Which is fair enough. Barry Gardiner, for example, has been parading around demanding that his "Ban Fire and Rehire" in the UK would stop this; I'm not so sure - I think it may be is out of reach.

Particularly as GS is a bit of a divot.

The model proposed is that still used by both Irish Ferries, and their competitors.

If the Irish legislation has worked, then it is time to copy it. Especially as their system is closer to ours in its concepts than some others.

I had this done to me in about 199x as a professional software engineer, including threats of mass redundancy if new (worse contracts - eg 2/3 worse redundancy terms) contracts were not signed.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,001
    MattW said:

Listening to Shappsy the Aeroplane Man on R4.

Pointing out that Electric Autos cost less per month than Fossil-fueled.

Yep.

Road Fund License going up next year, then...

Was listening to his interview and wished he’d been asked to clarify something he said.

He said that maritime companies couldn’t rely on work in international zones to evade paying their staff minimum wage and that because they had to go between countries they must pay the minimum wage.

Absolutely agree, except whose minimum wage?

He can’t demand they pay the UK minimum wage because they dock in UK as they also dock in France so should it be the French minimum wage? So therefore are they paid the minimum wage where they are employed (Jersey in this case is £9.22 currently higher than UK)?

There is clearly a problem but surely the only options are the current situation which encourages gouging people on low maritime wages or there has to be law introduced in combination with all countries where the employees have to be paid the highest minimum wage of where they sail between or where they are employed (i imagine this would make the routes to Norway very attractive!)

It’s not as simple as just “they have to be paid the minimum wage at least”.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Saw these on a Rick Stein-in-Cornwall programme the other day

Bought one. Hand forged and hand smithed on Bodmin Moor from recycled high-grade car metal (some obscure engine part, I think)

God's honest truth: this is the best chef's knife I have ever used. Alarmingly sharp. Chops through veg like it is Cornish mist off Carn Brae

The blade will of course get blunt, and I do not know if I can sharpen it back to its present state. But, its present state is WOW

https://www.atkinson-art.co.uk/product-category/wolf-dingo-chef-knives-for-valhalla/

We get all our knives from TOG, excellent and they do great matching chopping boards etc.

https://www.togknives.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/bunka-HOME-2560-1400-v2-1920x900.jpg

https://www.togknives.com/
    Do you have one of the blocks for sharpening them ?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

There is what sound like a cry of "Grad" just before the explosion, so it may be that arriving.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,025
    Heathener said:

Anyway, I'm off out.

The weather looks nice again.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Putin advocates the uses of this lovely chaps philosophies - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandr_Dugin

who advocated "genuine, true, radically revolutionary and consistent, fascist fascism" for Russia.

Among other works - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fourth_Political_Theory

"....laying the foundations for an entirely new political ideology, the fourth political theory, which integrates and supersedes liberal democracy, Marxism, and fascism."

One of original names for Fascism was The Third Way.
This discussion has been closed.