Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

At last a day when Ukraine is not on the front pages – politicalbetting.com

13»

Comments

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    Foxy said:

Really brilliant to see Nazanin back home and holding her daughter, some much needed good news in these dark times. And a genuine achievement for Liz Truss, who has clearly approached the task of bringing her home with more application than her predecessors. Her stock must be much risen as a result, presumably she should be favourite now to replace the PM if he goes before an election?

Yep. Fizzy Lizzy will sign anything for headlines.
    I don't really get the idea that we shouldn't have paid Iran the money we owed. It should have been paid decades ago, and if Truss used a bit of ingenuity to find a way of getting it done despite the sanctions regime then well done her. Paying a debt and paying a ransom are two entirely different things in my book - and I would cite Jeremy Hunt who has argued the same thing.
    I am not a natural fan of Truss by any means but I won't let that stop me apportioning praise when it's due, just as I was highly critical of Johnson's role in this as FS. As someone who has been following Nazanin's campaign from the start this is a huge good news story for me.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    Nigelb said:

The Speaker of the Russian parliament says that Joe Biden needs to be held accountable for the Nazifcation of Ukraine and says he is guilty of crimes against humanity.

https://twitter.com/tass_agency/status/1504219918438391815

(Guardian)
    Biden calling Putin a war criminal is ‘unforgivable rhetoric’, says Kremlin

reminds me of when playing "army" at primary school - "you're the baddie" " no you're the baddie!"
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,409
    More physics on the BBC's news front page:
    Scientists claim hairy black holes explain Hawking paradox
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-60708711
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,687

Really brilliant to see Nazanin back home and holding her daughter, some much needed good news in these dark times. And a genuine achievement for Liz Truss, who has clearly approached the task of bringing her home with more application than her predecessors. Her stock must be much risen as a result, presumably she should be favourite now to replace the PM if he goes before an election?

Most definitely, Mr Boy. Truss gets the job done.... The only question is when the Tory MPs will pluck up courage to dispose of ABDPJohnson, so that the country can have a decent hard-working prime minister.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

@hyufd fpt.

a) We could not send Vulcans over willy nilly. We did it once. It was a massive logistical operation involving multiple refueling planes refueling each other to finally get a Vulcan over Stanley. It was a one off. So again you are talking nonsense.

B) Sea Dart and Sea Wolf are not air to air missile. They are a defence of last resort for ships. You haven't a clue have you? Also Sea Wolf was limited in numbers so it caused huge problems using it as a defence.

C) It was the harriers with their sidewinders that provided the first line of defence. Without them the ships would have been overwhelmed.

You have already wrecked most of my evening having to reply to you and are continuing now with your inability to ever let go. I am not going to ever concede to you. Just get that into your skull. Even if this lasts the rest of the year. Yet you continue from thread to thread continuing on again and again.

This thread could have ended 2 threads ago. But no, being the tedious bore you are you had to carry it over again and again onto the next thread and the next
    It’s all right people, relax, that colossal explosion you heard wasn’t a nuke, it was my irony meter exploding as I read this.

I apologies to the people of Exeter and Durham as they pick up the pieces.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,685

Foxy said:

I don't really get the idea that we shouldn't have paid Iran the money we owed. It should have been paid decades ago, and if Truss used a bit of ingenuity to find a way of getting it done despite the sanctions regime then well done her. Paying a debt and paying a ransom are two entirely different things in my book - and I would cite Jeremy Hunt who has argued the same thing.
    I am not a natural fan of Truss by any means but I won't let that stop me apportioning praise when it's due, just as I was highly critical of Johnson's role in this as FS. As someone who has been following Nazanin's campaign from the start this is a huge good news story for me.
    Clearly good news of course. Not sure who has been holding the money (BAE? Export Credit Guarantee?) but with Trump out of the way, it does look like sanctions are on their way out.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,678
    Sandpit said:

Congrats to Astra Space, whose small rocket has successfully launched customers satellites for the first time. This is a fast turn-around after a failure last month.

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2022/03/15/astra-space-places-satellites-into-orbit-for-first-time/

Russia's increasingly going to fall behind in space. Now all we need is for ESA to develop a crew launcher... ;)

The big worry is the ISS, an amazing project over more than two decades which has, up until now, remained outside any and all political tensions between the countries involved.

If Russia pulls out, the $200bn station, the most expensive item ever produced by humans, will quickly end up in the sea.
    I wouldn't bet against Putin ruining the project.
  • Options

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

You have already wrecked most of my evening having to reply to you and are continuing now with your inability to ever let go. I am not going to ever concede to you. Just get that into your skull. Even if this lasts the rest of the year. Yet you continue from thread to thread continuing on again and again.

WTF is wrong with you?

Many have asked the same question
    OGH, grant me the strength to accept the arguments proving I am wrong, the courage to change the opinions I can, and the wisdom to never argue with HYUFD.
    I have found it very wise policy to simply ignore certain posters. It’s done wonders for my blood pressure.

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Putin should be happy to go - if the Death of Putin is as good a film as the Death of Stalin he can rest easy.

I was disappointed by some of the negative reviews when the film was first released. Thankfully most of them seem to have changed their mind.
    It and Grand Budapest Hotel are my favourites of the last ten years.
    I recommend Colette. Caught it last night on BBC2.

It has hints of Grand Budapest Hotel. Obviously not as good - that would be hard - but still captures that early 20th century European bohemian feeling rather well. It's all about the bisexual French writer (played brilliantly by a luminous Keira Knightley) and her older libertine partner and publisher, played expertly by Dominic West (him off The Wire, et al)

Frivolous yet moving. 8.4/10

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jan/06/colette-review-keira-knightley-wash-westmoreland
    Keira Knightly is quite enough to persuade me.
    Bisexual is but a bonus.
    She seduces Eleanor Tomlinson no less…

Eleanor Tomlinson has had a range of very different character parts the last few years. Amazingly versatile filly, improving sort, won’t let you down if the going turns soft 😆

I thought Spielberg’s West Side Story excellent.
    Power of the dog does have amazing cinematography carefully based on art works, but the story didn’t engage me.
    WSS is truly excellent, but it is very sadly overlooked I think because it is a remake.
    I happen to think it’s possibly the best thing Spielberg’s done since Jaws.

It needs to be watched on the big screen. I was privileged to watch it at pretty much the precise location it is set.

Power of the Dog - although I am a big Jane Campion fan - is simply dull, agree.
    Is it really a remake of west side story, or west side story a remake of Romeo and Juliet, so a new west side story not remake of west side story but a remake of Romeo and Juliet rather like a Rhine gold staging staged in seedy 50s American motel done a second time by someone else set in sleazy 50s American hotel, is not remake of first staging just another Rhinegold staging.

You know what I mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0lqyPQfP2o&t=11s

Either way Spielberg West Side Story is a triumph that will be much loved till the end of the world.
    i liked it , inventive given its a re-make. Poignant about the waste of youth but then West Side Story is supposed to be
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    Foxy said:

felix said:

Foxy said:

felix said:

I'd give some credit to Truss on this but I suspect it's largely just fortuitous timing - Iran seems to have chosen a more accommodating path - I know they were unhappy over the invasion of Ukraine but I really don't know whence the rapprochement has come, welcome as it is.
    Trump gone.
    Money paid.
    Oil needed.

Jobs a good 'un.
    Yes but Trump's been gone a while now and the oil was needed either way. No idea what your last sentence means.
    It's easy to make a deal when Iran gets what it wants.
    Presumably the need to isolate Russia makes Britain more favourable to Iran?

Someone in government deserves credit for finally making this happen.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Clearly good news of course. Not sure who has been holding the money (BAE? Export Credit Guarantee?) but with Trump out of the way, it does look like sanctions are on their way out.
    I think HMG has been holding onto the cash. I read that the payment has come out of the MoD budget.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,644

Good morning everyone. Bright and sunny here today with ne'er a trace of sand.
    Except, I suspect, on our car which lives outside.

The ultimate tragedy here last night was our failure to pick up Ms Cyclefree's thoughtful piece.

Yes, sorry about that.

@hyufd posted this late last night. Anyone think he has a problem?

"You have already wrecked most of my evening having to reply to you and are continuing now with your inability to ever let go. I am not going to ever concede to you. Just get that into your skull. Even if this lasts the rest of the year. Yet you continue from thread to thread continuing on again and again.

This thread could have ended 2 threads ago. But no, being the tedious bore you are you had to carry it over again and again onto the next thread and the next."

' You have wrecked my evening'. Well stop then. Nobody is making you reply.

'having to reply' Nobody is making you reply.

'your inability to let go' I nearly chocked on the irony of that one.

' you are a tedious bore' Again pot and Kettle. All you have to do is ignore me.
  • Options

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

WTF is wrong with you?

Many have asked the same question
    OGH, grant me the strength to accept the arguments proving I am wrong, the courage to change the opinions I can, and the wisdom to never argue with HYUFD.
    I have found it very wise policy to simply ignore certain posters. It’s done wonders for my blood pressure.

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Putin should be happy to go - if the Death of Putin is as good a film as the Death of Stalin he can rest easy.

I was disappointed by some of the negative reviews when the film was first released. Thankfully most of them seem to have changed their mind.
    It and Grand Budapest Hotel are my favourites of the last ten years.
    I recommend Colette. Caught it last night on BBC2.

It has hints of Grand Budapest Hotel. Obviously not as good - that would be hard - but still captures that early 20th century European bohemian feeling rather well. It's all about the bisexual French writer (played brilliantly by a luminous Keira Knightley) and her older libertine partner and publisher, played expertly by Dominic West (him off The Wire, et al)

Frivolous yet moving. 8.4/10

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jan/06/colette-review-keira-knightley-wash-westmoreland
    Keira Knightly is quite enough to persuade me.
    Bisexual is but a bonus.
    She seduces Eleanor Tomlinson no less…

Eleanor Tomlinson has had a range of very different character parts the last few years. Amazingly versatile filly, improving sort, won’t let you down if the going turns soft 😆

I thought Spielberg’s West Side Story excellent.
    Power of the dog does have amazing cinematography carefully based on art works, but the story didn’t engage me.
    WSS is truly excellent, but it is very sadly overlooked I think because it is a remake.
    I happen to think it’s possibly the best thing Spielberg’s done since Jaws.

It needs to be watched on the big screen. I was privileged to watch it at pretty much the precise location it is set.

Power of the Dog - although I am a big Jane Campion fan - is simply dull, agree.
    Is it really a remake of west side story, or west side story a remake of Romeo and Juliet, so a new west side story not remake of west side story but a remake of Romeo and Juliet rather like a Rhine gold staging staged in seedy 50s American motel done a second time by someone else set in sleazy 50s American hotel, is not remake of first staging just another Rhinegold staging.

You know what I mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0lqyPQfP2o&t=11s

Either way Spielberg West Side Story is a triumph that will be much loved till the end of the world.
    i liked it , inventive given its a re-make. Poignant about the waste of youth but then West Side Story is supposed to be
    I think it is better than the original film. To be honest I am happy just listening to the music. My favourite musical, only Hamilton comes close.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    Scott_xP said:

Nazanin's release shows that BoZo could have done it at any time since becoming PM, but chose not to.

The story may well be that we had to decide to work independently from the Americans, who have their own hostages there, and settle the tank debt. Hunt would have sorted this way back, had he been leader.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,979
    edited March 2022
    Back in November it was clear the “deal” to end second jobs for MPs which No10
    claimed at the time and greeted with much acclaim was far from sealed.

Now: https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1461095611474886668 https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1504355664126267396/photo/1

• Options
    edited March 2022
    biggles said:

Cookie said:

biggles said:

dixiedean said:

Interesting debate on R5L.
    Which was better Phoenix Nights or The Office?
    Phoenix for me. Or maybe that's the world I know?
    Regardless. A sign of how sitcoms have declined.
    Mrs. Brown's Boys these days.

Love the Office and Phoenix Nights, but Phoenix Nights is better. On the surface it’s simpler, but there are many more layers to it.

Also I’ve been in those clubs.
    Phoenix Nights is cleverer in its humour, but the Office clever in the way its narrative unfolds so beautifully.
    The most moving bits of telly are sitcoms. Drama feels unreal - nothing is that serious all the time. And you have your guard up for drama; you know it's trying to make you feel something. Whereas when the emotional moment comes along in a sitcom you're not guarding against it. If you don't have a lump in the throat at the end of the Office, or at the end of either of the first two series of the Royle Family (which basically invented the modern sitcom), or at the end of Gavin and Stacey then you possibly aren't human. I'm sure there are dozens of others too. (Anyone remember the end of Ever Decreasing Circles?)

On which subject, can I put in a word for Detectorists? Rather belatedly, I have been pointed towards it, and it is brilliant. Very much a 21st century sitcom - things happening, slowly, some of which is funny, but in an understated way - but give it an episode and a half and you will be hooked. Not least because it is so beautifully shot. It is written and directed and starring MacKenzie Crook - I think it's quite uncommon for a sitcom to owe so much to one man - and this comes across in the sheer artistry of it. Even the theme tune is wonderful. I find myself wondering how the show reflects MacKenzie Crook's worldview.
    I agree, sitcoms can reach places drama can’t when they are on form. Unless they slightly over do it, like MASH at its moralising worst.

I know of, but haven’t watched the Detectorists. Will give it a go.
    The Detectorists is simply the best comedy (its more a whimsical look at life imo) . The characters are Dad's army standard and shot as it is in summer evenings in fields the atmosphere is great. Cannot fail to be in a good mood after watching it. one of the most moving but nice scenes in TV comedy is when they find the Anglo Saxon gold (below clip). Also love the silly competitive nature of the two metal detecting clubs - The Dirtsharks! Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbvfpns2LAg
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

Foxy said:

But the truth is it was a ransom demanded by a country that operates entirely outwith any legal norm. I am absolutely delighted that that poor woman is home and back with her family after all this time but that does not make Iran any less of a pariah state in my book, no matter how much we might need their oil right now. The linkage between money held up in sanctions and the kidnapping of one of our citizens remains unacceptable behaviour and we should not forget it. But, real politick being what it is, we probably will.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    You will all be pleased to know I am off to hospital today so my winding up of @hyufd will need to be paused. If I carried on do you think he would reply forever? It's alright I won't.There is definitely a screw loose in his complete lack of self awareness re his comments late last night.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

But the truth is it was a ransom demanded by a country that operates entirely outwith any legal norm. I am absolutely delighted that that poor woman is home and back with her family after all this time but that does not make Iran any less of a pariah state in my book, no matter how much we might need their oil right now. The linkage between money held up in sanctions and the kidnapping of one of our citizens remains unacceptable behaviour and we should not forget it. But, real politick being what it is, we probably will.
    Objectively, the money was owed, however much we might dislike the paying of it.

At least we got something in return, unlike the clown who is crawling back from consorting with the Saudi dictators apparently empty-handed.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003

biggles said:

Cookie said:

biggles said:

dixiedean said:

Love the Office and Phoenix Nights, but Phoenix Nights is better. On the surface it’s simpler, but there are many more layers to it.

Phoenix Nights is cleverer in its humour, but the Office clever in the way its narrative unfolds so beautifully.
    The most moving bits of telly are sitcoms. Drama feels unreal - nothing is that serious all the time. And you have your guard up for drama; you know it's trying to make you feel something. Whereas when the emotional moment comes along in a sitcom you're not guarding against it. If you don't have a lump in the throat at the end of the Office, or at the end of either of the first two series of the Royle Family (which basically invented the modern sitcom), or at the end of Gavin and Stacey then you possibly aren't human. I'm sure there are dozens of others too. (Anyone remember the end of Ever Decreasing Circles?)

On which subject, can I put in a word for Detectorists? Rather belatedly, I have been pointed towards it, and it is brilliant. Very much a 21st century sitcom - things happening, slowly, some of which is funny, but in an understated way - but give it an episode and a half and you will be hooked. Not least because it is so beautifully shot. It is written and directed and starring MacKenzie Crook - I think it's quite uncommon for a sitcom to owe so much to one man - and this comes across in the sheer artistry of it. Even the theme tune is wonderful. I find myself wondering how the show reflects MacKenzie Crook's worldview.
    I agree, sitcoms can reach places drama can’t when they are on form. Unless they slightly over do it, like MASH at its moralising worst.

The Detectorists is simply the best comedy (its more a whimsical look at life imo) . The characters are Dad's army standard and shot as it is in summer evenings in fields the atmosphere is great. Cannot fail to be in a good mood after watching it. one of the most moving but nice scenes in TV comedy is when they find the Anglo Saxon gold (below clip). Also love the silly competitive nature of the two metal detecting clubs - The Dirtsharks! Lol

We thoroughly enjoyed The Duke. Jim Broadbent tying the prosecution in knots was funny.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    biggles said:

It is lovely to see such amazing news for a change. I can’t imagine the emotions her family has been through.

Took the Tories 6 years to do anything about it and only then because they were begging for oil. Hardly an achievement
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

The other issue of realpolitik is that Iran is a key ally of Russia, to the extent that many of its own people complain about it being a puppet state of Putin's, notwithstanding their claims to be an Islamist theocracy.

If they are starting to turn away from him, it's a sign even his closest and most loyal friends are giving up on him. China appears to have reached the same conclusion.

How long before Bortnikov makes the same decision? Because that could be the real game changer. While the whole government is implicated in this catastrophe, changing the leader could give Russia grounds for a face-saving exit.
  • Options

biggles said:

Cookie said:

biggles said:

dixiedean said:

We thoroughly enjoyed The Duke. Jim Broadbent tying the prosecution in knots was funny.
    yes seen that as well- even had an unexpected twist!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Objectively, the money was owed, however much we might dislike the paying of it.

At least we got something in return, unlike the clown who is crawling back from consorting with the Saudi dictators apparently empty-handed.
    What's more the returning hostages weren't on his plane, as I feared they might be!
  • Options
    Lovely morning out with my pup. The sheep in my field have new lambs:

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703
    MOD

(1/3)

The Russian invasion of Ukraine has largely stalled on all fronts.

(2/3)

Russian forces have made minimal progress on land, sea or air in recent days and they continue to suffer heavy losses.

(3/3)

Ukrainian resistance remains staunch and well-coordinated. The vast majority of Ukrainian territory, including all major cities, remains in Ukrainian hands.

https://twitter.com/defencehq/status/1504336242997174274?s=21
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

Nigelb said:

The Speaker of the Russian parliament says that Joe Biden needs to be held accountable for the Nazifcation of Ukraine and says he is guilty of crimes against humanity.

https://twitter.com/tass_agency/status/1504219918438391815

(Guardian)
    Biden calling Putin a war criminal is ‘unforgivable rhetoric’, says Kremlin

reminds me of when playing "army" at primary school - "you're the baddie" " no you're the baddie!"
    Russian troops remind me of this, with the roles reversed:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU
  • Options

biggles said:

Cookie said:

biggles said:

dixiedean said:

yes seen that as well- even had an unexpected twist!
    It was basically true, apparently. Including the twist.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Yes the money was owed but the hostage taking was not the way to resolve that.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

AIUI the issue was the money was owed to the Shah rather than the Iranian government, which in any case was under sanctions.

However, as you say, it was still owed and there is a distinction without a difference that I think was being rather naughtily exploited.
  • Options
    Russia's main car manufacturer that is basically the main employer in Tolyatti - 820k inhabitants is halting its production for most of April. For now.
    It only confirms that by the end of April we will have more or less a full picture of what sanction do
    https://interfax.ru/business/828451

https://twitter.com/ABarbashin/status/1504346954989506560
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

AIUI the issue was the money was owed to the Shah rather than the Iranian government, which in any case was under sanctions.

However, as you say, it was still owed and there is a distinction without a difference that I think was being rather naughtily exploited.
    I think Truss' negotiation was likely as much with the US as the Iranians. Their strict sanctions are a large reason why a deal wasn't done earlier.
  • Options
    It looks like Russia are moving large amounts of kit from North Ossetia towards Ukraine.

This cannot have been in the game plan. But it's a bad sign for Ukraine. :(
  • Options
    Not mentioned here is that Egypt's deal for 24 Russian Su-35 fighters, which are currently sitting at two airfields in Russia due to CAATSA concerns, is even less likely to be executed at this point.
    https://reuters.com/world/washington-provide-egypt-with-f-15-jets-us-general-says-2022-03-15/

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1504326767112245248
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I personally never believed that Boris's inept and stupid comments when he was FS had anything to do with how long Zaghari-Ratcliffe was kidnapped by Iran. It suggested that rationality and even legality had something to do with her kidnap and ransom which is ridiculous after a moment's thought. Nevertheless, it is another stick removed from those who cannot resist beating him for any reason that comes to hand and will probably give him another small boost.

You aCare once again giving Johnson another free pass, this time for his lazy incompetence whilst FS.

Whether or not his foolhardy comments had any bearing on Mrs Ratcliffe's fate is not the issue. We should expect senior Ministers to avail themselves of their brief. Johnson did not, and you want to give him "a small boost".

Both Lammy and Sadiq put party politics aside and commended Liz Truss today. They remained stinging in their analysis of Johnson's tenure as FS. He deserves no credit for Mrs Ratcliffe's release whatsoever.
    Can I refer you to my entry of 11.26 and indeed the entry you have quoted which refers to his "inept and stupid" comments. If you think that is a free pass, well, we will have to differ.
    The problem - and you are not the only PB Tory to do this - is the rather half-hearted condemnation followed by the faux-grudging concession that you will, after all, follow the pied piper out of town.
    The Tory fanboys on here would vote for Putin if it had a blue rosette on, nothing Boris does fazes them , principles and morals make no impression whatsoever. It is quite unbelievable.
  • Options
    Looks like the Russian warship that the Ukrainians allegedly hit was not hit:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44797/the-case-of-russias-apparently-back-from-the-dead-black-sea-warship
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

A bit unfair. Nazanin's own MP (who was thoughtful and coherent on R4 this morning), praised her genuine application on this - in distinct contrast with earlier Home Secretaries.

She's gone up a small notch in my estimation.
    The dual citizenship aspect of this case made it exceedingly difficult to make progress until the Iranians wanted to. They could just say, with international law on ther side, that she was an Iranian in Iran, and no business of the British.

Well done to all of those involved in getting this lady back to the UK, which I imagine has been a very long and drawn-out process.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,056

HYUFD said:

WTF is wrong with you?

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png
  • Options

It looks like Russia are moving large amounts of kit from North Ossetia towards Ukraine.

Unless the Georgians decide to go in the attack instead.

Putin is taking several truly bizarre risks here. Apart from the humiliation of being held up for weeks by people he thought would resist him for 72 hours or less, he's risking his control over the outlying areas he had made client states of.

And that's even before we consider he'd need far more manpower to occupy Ukraine for years than to overrun it.
  • Options

Apart from the seige of Mariopol it does look like the Russians have stalled rather than just paused to regroup. Events in Belarus and off Odesa a bit ominous too.

Interesting post from the Belarus government in exile last night. It looks like the Belarus railwaymen are being helpful to Ukraine.

Belarusians interrupt the movement over the railway to stop the deployment of Russia's equipment to Ukraine. Yesterday, they stopped the trains near the Belarus-Ukraine border. No one in the country supports the Russian invasion. Belarusians keep fighting by all possible means. https://t.co/sviXBWaXJk
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Heathener said:

Mike took the words out of my mouth. I said it would happen by the end of April and it happened on March 17th. I was derided for saying so but was right.

I'm afraid that if the fighting in Ukraine continues but is contained it won't remain the front page story here that many think it should.

Between now and end of April there will be further instances of this and probably increasingly so. It doesn't take long for British people to fatigue of a story that isn't in their own back yard.

This story is an adjunct to the Ukraine invasion by Putin. Just another of the pieces moving on the chess board of international relations - in this instance, all about hydrocarbons and how to bugger up Russia's income stream.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I personally never believed that Boris's inept and stupid comments when he was FS had anything to do with how long Zaghari-Ratcliffe was kidnapped by Iran. It suggested that rationality and even legality had something to do with her kidnap and ransom which is ridiculous after a moment's thought. Nevertheless, it is another stick removed from those who cannot resist beating him for any reason that comes to hand and will probably give him another small boost.

Yeah. He's such a saint. Worked tirelessly for her release. Deserves a lot of personal and political credit.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Scott_xP said:

Nazanin's release shows that BoZo could have done it at any time since becoming PM, but chose not to.

Idiot post of the day.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Mike took the words out of my mouth. I said it would happen by the end of April and it happened on March 17th. I was derided for saying so but was right.

I'm afraid that if the fighting in Ukraine continues but is contained it won't remain the front page story here that many think it should.

Between now and end of April there will be further instances of this and probably increasingly so. It doesn't take long for British people to fatigue of a story that isn't in their own back yard.

This story is an adjunct to the Ukraine invasion by Putin. Just another of the pieces moving on the chess board of international relations - in this instance, all about hydrocarbons and how to bugger up Russia's income stream.
    I’m trying to read up on exactly what was meant by the yesterday’s announcement of Ukraine joining the EU energy network. Does it mean that there is, or will be, a power interconnect in and out of Ukraine, so they can run their nuclear stations at full blast and sell electricity to Poland for hard currency?

Great news if so, next plan is to work out how the original Nord Stream pipeline can be made redundant over the summer.
  • Options

Heathener said:

And of course two of the three front pages in the header have Ukraine on them.
    Heathener wasn't 'derided' for the bet in the first place - just the confused nature of the bet terms, which meant no one was interested in it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Congrats to Astra Space, whose small rocket has successfully launched customers satellites for the first time. This is a fast turn-around after a failure last month.

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2022/03/15/astra-space-places-satellites-into-orbit-for-first-time/

Russia's increasingly going to fall behind in space. Now all we need is for ESA to develop a crew launcher... ;)

The big worry is the ISS, an amazing project over more than two decades which has, up until now, remained outside any and all political tensions between the countries involved.

If Russia pulls out, the $200bn station, the most expensive item ever produced by humans, will quickly end up in the sea.
    Sadly agree. Watching it come back to Earth would be a big and visible “F You” to the West.

AIUI, one of the main orbit stabilisation systems is on the Russian side - if they don’t want to play ball, then we’ll need to get a Dragon attached and thrusting periodically, to keep the ISS in orbit.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Sadly agree. Watching it come back to Earth would be a big and visible “F You” to the West.

AIUI, one of the main orbit stabilisation systems is on the Russian side - if they don’t want to play ball, then we’ll need to get a Dragon attached and thrusting periodically, to keep the ISS in orbit.
    More cost effective to speed planning for its replacement, perhaps ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

A) We had multiple Vulcans in the Falklands over the course of the War, all of which could have been used to bomb Argentine airfields.

Point of order - we had singular Vulcans OVER the Falklands multiple times. It was not multiple Vulcans, they were not IN the Falklands as they could not land there. And getting a single plane there was massive risk logistics with refuelling tankers needing to refuel over and over.

The idea that we could have flown off from Ascension to "bomb Argentine airfields" isn't just wrong, its painfully so.

That you demonstrate your ignorance over and over in such a pig-headed pompous way is a credit to your party. Are we sure you aren't a Cabinet Minister? Talking demonstrable bollocks, then lying about it, then sneering in condescension is a base requirement for Her Majesty's Government these days.

Or, for a shorter answer, I could have just quoted Danny Dyer.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,409

HYUFD said:

A) We had multiple Vulcans in the Falklands over the course of the War, all of which could have been used to bomb Argentine airfields.

Point of order - we had singular Vulcans OVER the Falklands multiple times. It was not multiple Vulcans, they were not IN the Falklands as they could not land there. And getting a single plane there was massive risk logistics with refuelling tankers needing to refuel over and over.

The idea that we could have flown off from Ascension to "bomb Argentine airfields" isn't just wrong, its painfully so.

That you demonstrate your ignorance over and over in such a pig-headed pompous way is a credit to your party. Are we sure you aren't a Cabinet Minister? Talking demonstrable bollocks, then lying about it, then sneering in condescension is a base requirement for Her Majesty's Government these days.

Can we not just let this argument, which has persisted over several threads and days, die?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Apparently there are complexities with Dragon doing it, due to the nature / positioning of the thrusters on the capsule. According to a podcast I listened to, they may not be able to work around the issue, and if they do, it would be horridly inefficient.

There is a half-finished American module that could do it. I wonder if NASA have been warming that project up, or something similar, just in case.
  • Options
    Report from Mikolayiv, which is the lynchpin of Ukraine's strategic position - and which has very successfully repelled all Russian attacks.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/16/mykolaiv-ukraine-bombarded-port-city

If we're ever betting on future elections for Zelensky's successor, I'd put a bit of money on Vitaly Kim.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723

Foxy said:

The deal with Iran to release Ratcliffe was done at the precise point when the US administration decided Iran could be a useful backstop to Russia as supplier of oil. Nothing else has changed over the past five years. They could easily have done the same deal then and saved Ratcliffe years of prison.

Maybe some credit also goes to Truss for being a deal-maker and taking advantage of the change in realpolitik to get the deal done.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    edited March 2022
    Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

Heathener wasn't 'derided' for the bet in the first place - just the confused nature of the bet terms, which meant no one was interested in it.
    Heathener’s angle was thinking and hoping that the decadent West would have got bored of the whole affair within three months letting macho Vlad free to do what he wanted in his own “sphere”.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Can we not just let this argument, which has persisted over several threads and days, die?
    What argument. Man saying "the sky is green" is not an argument as the sky is demonstrably factually blue. HY is not making an argument, not advancing a hypothesis.

What he is doing is being HY - posting utter crap with absolute pompous certainty. The topic barely matters.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

A bit unfair. Nazanin's own MP (who was thoughtful and coherent on R4 this morning), praised her genuine application on this - in distinct contrast with earlier Home Secretaries.

The dual citizenship aspect of this case made it exceedingly difficult to make progress until the Iranians wanted to. They could just say, with international law on ther side, that she was an Iranian in Iran, and no business of the British.

Well done to all of those involved in getting this lady back to the UK, which I imagine has been a very long and drawn-out process.
    The British government are very clear with dual nationals - it cannot protect you against the authorities of other the country of which you are a national.
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Idiot post of the day.
    The day is yet young…..
  • Options

HYUFD said:

What argument. Man saying "the sky is green" is not an argument as the sky is demonstrably factually blue. HY is not making an argument, not advancing a hypothesis.

What he is doing is being HY - posting utter crap with absolute pompous certainty. The topic barely matters.
    His posts on this topic are as informative as white noise.
    Which is how I now respond to them.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,217
    Sandpit said:

Heathener said:

I’m trying to read up on exactly what was meant by the yesterday’s announcement of Ukraine joining the EU energy network. Does it mean that there is, or will be, a power interconnect in and out of Ukraine, so they can run their nuclear stations at full blast and sell electricity to Poland for hard currency?

Great news if so, next plan is to work out how the original Nord Stream pipeline can be made redundant over the summer.
    They have joined the grids into one, disconnecting from the russian grid. I assume this means they are part of the energy market too. Some info here:

https://euneighbourseast.eu/news-and-stories/latest-news/ukraine-and-moldova-connected-to-european-power-grid/

This move was long-planned, but brought forward.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

Exactly. In the terms she appears to have meant it, it would have been a fool's bet, since Ukraine is unlikely to make the front pages in almost every paper for fifty days running.

It was also a fool's bet since, given her determined wish to be incognito and the dodgy VPN or spam IP address, how was any winner ever to collect payment?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Some unedifying bullying on these pages of HY in the last 24hrs.
  • Options
    I’m sure it’s been posted before - but worth a read (and free in the FT) on power in Russia:

https://www.ft.com/content/503fb110-f91e-4bed-b6dc-0d09582dd007
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Nonsense. If he comes out with crap it needs challenging. That is all people did.
  • Options
    Off to China?

🇷🇺 4 x Russian Government planes out from Moscow

https://twitter.com/CivMilAir/status/1504364000607457280
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Idiot post of the day.
    truth that your idol has feet of clay upset you there.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    edited March 2022

There is a new(-ish) thread btw

• Options
    moonshine said:

I disagree, but you could view it like that.
    I'm happy to give it a break for a while.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

What a load of bollox, they sat on their arses for 6 years instead of paying back teh money they stole. Now when they need oil , they go butt licking to Iran. If not for that they would have left her to rot there forever. Well named as the NASTY party.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Nonsense. The guy made some idiotic comment about a British unilateral nuclear strike on Argentina and then kept on digging.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

I found it quite cathartic bizarrely. Why? Well I am clearly not a fan of Thatcher, but I found myself defending her from @HYUFD mad demonic catagorisation of her. This was a new and refreshing experience for me. The more I thought about it the more I thought about the fact that (with the exception of Tebbit) the Thatcher Govt was made up of grown ups regardless of what I thought of their policies. Made me feel much happier.

No doubt my bubble will be burst by examples of idiots from that era, but currently I'm very relaxed in my view.
  • Options
    kjh said:

You will all be pleased to know I am off to hospital today so my winding up of @hyufd will need to be paused. If I carried on do you think he would reply forever? It's alright I won't.There is definitely a screw loose in his complete lack of self awareness re his comments late last night.

Good luck, hope you are out soon
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kjh said:

Good luck, hope you are out soon
    Thank you. Just outpatients to get stitches removed, cast replaced and X ray to see how breaks are doing. I am hoping to get my left leg back in use today, but the right will be weeks away.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,434

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Apparently there are complexities with Dragon doing it, due to the nature / positioning of the thrusters on the capsule. According to a podcast I listened to, they may not be able to work around the issue, and if they do, it would be horridly inefficient.

There is a half-finished American module that could do it. I wonder if NASA have been warming that project up, or something similar, just in case.
    The big issue is not so much re-boost (giving the state a show to make it go faster, de to speed lost to the tiny amount of atmospheric drag) as de-saturating the gyros used for attitude control.

Essentially, ISS uses gyroscopes for attitude control - by spinning a particular gyroscope faster/slow it rotates the station without using thrusters. After a while the gyros are spinning at max speed. So you "de-saturate" by firing thrusters to cancel out the torque as the gyro is spun down.

There's quite a few questions about whether you could use Dragon for that or not.

The big problem is that there is very little time, if the Russians pull the de-saturate function, before the station starts to spin out of control.

Ariane 5 was built as a crew launcher - see Hermes.

ESA developing a human launch system now would run into the mud of European Space politics. Sadly, even more than the US, the actual space flight bit is seen as a minor effect of the program, by the politicians who fund it....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    kjh said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

I found it quite cathartic bizarrely. Why? Well I am clearly not a fan of Thatcher, but I found myself defending her from @HYUFD mad demonic catagorisation of her. This was a new and refreshing experience for me. The more I thought about it the more I thought about the fact that (with the exception of Tebbit) the Thatcher Govt was made up of grown ups regardless of what I thought of their policies. Made me feel much happier.

No doubt my bubble will be burst by examples of idiots from that era, but currently I'm very relaxed in my view.
    Tebbit was actually tough and had guts, so no wonder you were not a fan.

• Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,056
    FF43 said:

Foxy said:

The deal with Iran to release Ratcliffe was done at the precise point when the US administration decided Iran could be a useful backstop to Russia as supplier of oil. Nothing else has changed over the past five years. They could easily have done the same deal then and saved Ratcliffe years of prison.

Maybe some credit also goes to Truss for being a deal-maker and taking advantage of the change in realpolitik to get the deal done.
    We gave on a point of principle by making the payment (we believe that hostage taking should have no benefits for the state or organisation that does it). We did it because we needed something - oil - more. Such is life.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465

FF43 said:

Foxy said:

We gave on a point of principle by making the payment (we believe that hostage taking should have no benefits for the state or organisation that does it). We did it because we needed something - oil - more. Such is life.
    When we had captured that Iranian tanker because (I think this was the reason) they were delivering it to Syria, we should have bought that oil then. And if we'd paid handsomely, we could probably have secured her release.

However, it's great news that she's free now - she seems to be in OK shape, and her family will be over the moon.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963

FF43 said:

Foxy said:

It was interesting listening to Orla Guerin on the news last night. She was in the room when Britain and Iran were about to sign the deal to return the £400 million a few years ago and a message came from the US saying it was a breach of sanctions and could not go ahead.
  • Options
    RMT claim that P&O may be planning to fire all staff, reflag the vessels, and rehire under worse pay and conditions, or bring in other workers.
  • Options
    From ITV:

NEW: Understand that all sailing staff at P&O Ferries have been made redundant with immediate effect.

The company will use an agency to keep their ferries running and current staff will be able to apply to the agency for work.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,002
    moonshine said:

That's both true, and not true.

@HYUFD brings out the worst in a lot of people, because he's unwilling to ever admit being the slightest bit wrong about anything.
This discussion has been closed.