Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

At last a day when Ukraine is not on the front pages – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    biggles said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Putin should be happy to go - if the Death of Putin is as good a film as the Death of Stalin he can rest easy.

I was disappointed by some of the negative reviews when the film was first released. Thankfully most of them seem to have changed their mind.
    It and Grand Budapest Hotel are my favourites of the last ten years.
    I recommend Colette. Caught it last night on BBC2.

It has hints of Grand Budapest Hotel. Obviously not as good - that would be hard - but still captures that early 20th century European bohemian feeling rather well. It's all about the bisexual French writer (played brilliantly by a luminous Keira Knightley) and her older libertine partner and publisher, played expertly by Dominic West (him off The Wire, et al)

Frivolous yet moving. 8.4/10

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jan/06/colette-review-keira-knightley-wash-westmoreland
    Thank you I shall have a look. If nothing else it’ll be nice to look at.
    I'm not a massive film enthusiast, but I thought Death of Stalin was brilliant. And I liked Grand Budapest Hotel very much, but felt a little let down by the ending.
    But if Collette is recommended based on those two I will definitely take a look.
    I've been enjoying Bullitt on ITV4 tonight. I came in partway through and had the volume too low so wasn't really following the plot - but oh to be in San Francisco in 1967!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

I personally never believed that Boris's inept and stupid comments when he was FS had anything to do with how long Zaghari-Ratcliffe was kidnapped by Iran. It suggested that rationality and even legality had something to do with her kidnap and ransom which is ridiculous after a moment's thought. Nevertheless, it is another stick removed from those who cannot resist beating him for any reason that comes to hand and will probably give him another small boost.

You are once again giving Johnson another free pass, this time for his lazy incompetence whilst FS.

Whether or not his foolhardy comments had any bearing on Mrs Ratcliffe's fate is not the issue. We should expect senior Ministers to avail themselves of their brief. Johnson did not, and you want to give him "a small boost".

Both Lammy and Sadiq put party politics aside and commended Liz Truss today. They remained stinging in their analysis of Johnson's tenure as FS. He deserves no credit for Mrs Ratcliffe's release whatsoever.
    DavidL is probably Boris’s #1 apologist.

I must confess I can’t understand why someone who works in the legal profession should so easily be taken in by someone who has spent his career flouting the rules.

I admit I cracked a smile when he suggested that the Radcliffe news will give Boris a “small bounce”.
    This is bonkers
    Aye, just so, there are much stronger contenders for that coveted #1 position.
  • Options

The Tories here were never really calling for Johnson to go, not really.

Those who called for him to go seriously had some principles and had quit voting Tory when he became the leader.

What? Almost all of them were!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

"US to send armed drones to Ukraine following Zelensky’s plea for help"

https://www.ft.com/content/8e279842-ff80-4342-86da-df15eb3b7d09

Biden is proving a lot more ballsy about this than I expected to be frank.
    Biden is a cold war warrior who sees NATO as vitally important, and Russia as the enemy.

It probably makes him ideal for this crisis, but it also means he might not be ideal for the next.
    The alternative was a Putin strongman lover who hates NATO and would have happily waved the kremlin all the way into Lithuania frankly.

God bless Arizona, Georgia and Wisconsin.
    Trump has now shifted to threatening to bomb Russia

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/07/donald-trump-russia-ukraine-jets-chinese
    Of course he has but he is not in power thankfully , and let's hope the US chose a sane President next time
    They haven't done so for the past two elections, so you wouldn't bet on it.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,360

The Speaker of the Russian parliament says that Joe Biden needs to be held accountable for the Nazifcation of Ukraine and says he is guilty of crimes against humanity.

https://twitter.com/tass_agency/status/1504219918438391815

They aren’t even trying to pretend to be sane any more are they?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,352
    edited March 2022

Those who called for him to go seriously had some principles and had quit voting Tory when he became the leader.

No idea what you are talking about

I have been clear that now is not the time for him to go, but the time will come and his mps will take the decision

And as the next vote is in 2024, you will need to wait and see how many do not vote for him, but there is more than a chance that he will be gone in 2023
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,782
    DavidL said:

On better news my daughter had what she described as her best trip to Tesco ever (she is not a natural shopper) tonight spending the money we had collected for the pick up for Ukraine on Friday. When the staff saw what she was doing they started giving her money too. She has got a serious collection together.

There is an overwhelming sympathy for Ukraine in this country which is why it is so weird that someone as politically attuned as Boris has not pulled the plug on this ridiculous visa nonsense sooner. A Ukrainian passport is all they ever should have needed.

Brexit means Brexit
  • Options
    Cookie said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Putin should be happy to go - if the Death of Putin is as good a film as the Death of Stalin he can rest easy.

I was disappointed by some of the negative reviews when the film was first released. Thankfully most of them seem to have changed their mind.

It has hints of Grand Budapest Hotel. Obviously not as good - that would be hard - but still captures that early 20th century European bohemian feeling rather well. It's all about the bisexual French writer (played brilliantly by a luminous Keira Knightley) and her older libertine partner and publisher, played expertly by Dominic West (him off The Wire, et al)

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jan/06/colette-review-keira-knightley-wash-westmoreland
    I'm not a massive film enthusiast, but I thought Death of Stalin was brilliant. And I liked Grand Budapest Hotel very much, but felt a little let down by the ending.
    But if Collette is recommended based on those two I will definitely take a look.
    I've been enjoying Bullitt on ITV4 tonight. I came in partway through and had the volume too low so wasn't really following the plot - but oh to be in San Francisco in 1967!
    There are certain times and places aren’t there? And it’s one of the beauties of cinema - future generations get time capsules.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

Andy_JS said:

"Chelsea fans chanting 'Roman Abramovich' throw bottles at French riot police who respond with tear gas ahead of Champions League tie with Lille
    Chelsea fans drank throughout the day as they clashed with Gendarmes in Lille
    Police fired tear gas cannisters and sent in squads to arrest the ringleaders
    Around 2,500 fans who bought tickets before sanctions have travelled to France "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10620605/Chelsea-fans-chanting-Roman-Abramovich-throw-bottles-French-police-respond-tear-gas.html

Ban them from Europe and relegate them to the bottom leagues

They are a stain on this country
    As an Evertonian I endorse this message.
    Hope we can finish third bottom...
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870
    edited March 2022
    CatMan said:

DavidL said:

On better news my daughter had what she described as her best trip to Tesco ever (she is not a natural shopper) tonight spending the money we had collected for the pick up for Ukraine on Friday. When the staff saw what she was doing they started giving her money too. She has got a serious collection together.

There is an overwhelming sympathy for Ukraine in this country which is why it is so weird that someone as politically attuned as Boris has not pulled the plug on this ridiculous visa nonsense sooner. A Ukrainian passport is all they ever should have needed.

Brexit means Brexit
    It’s another classic case of one of those face-eating leopard party voters complaining about his face being eaten off by a leopard.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    Cookie said:

What? Almost all of them were!
    They think PB Tories calling for Boris to go is all over.
    It is now!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

The Speaker of the Russian parliament says that Joe Biden needs to be held accountable for the Nazifcation of Ukraine and says he is guilty of crimes against humanity.

The Russian elite really haven't a clue how to make any coherent message, have they? They look more deranged by the hour. Externally, at least. Internally, who knows how it is playing out, 3 weeks on.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,555
    edited March 2022
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Keira Knightly is quite enough to persuade me.
    Bisexual is but a bonus.
    She seduces Eleanor Tomlinson no less…

Eleanor Tomlinson has had a range of very different character parts the last few years. Amazingly versatile filly, improving sort, won’t let you down if the going turns soft 😆

I thought Spielberg’s West Side Story excellent.
    Power of the dog does have amazing cinematography carefully based on art works, but the story didn’t engage me.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,669
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

@hyufd fpt.

a) We could not send Vulcans over willy nilly. We did it once. It was a massive logistical operation involving multiple refueling planes refueling each other to finally get a Vulcan over Stanley. It was a one off. So again you are talking nonsense.

B) Sea Dart and Sea Wolf are not air to air missile. They are a defence of last resort for ships. You haven't a clue have you? Also Sea Wolf was limited in numbers so it caused huge problems using it as a defence.

C) It was the harriers with their sidewinders that provided the first line of defence. Without them the ships would have been overwhelmed.

You have already wrecked most of my evening having to reply to you and are continuing now with your inability to ever let go. I am not going to ever concede to you. Just get that into your skull. Even if this lasts the rest of the year. Yet you continue from thread to thread continuing on again and again.

This thread could have ended 2 threads ago. But no, being the tedious bore you are you had to carry it over again and again onto the next thread and the next.

A) We had multiple Vulcans in the Falklands over the course of the War, all of which could have been used to bomb Argentine airfields.

B) All we needed to get our troops on our ships to the Falklands was to defend those ships. Sea Dart and Sea Wolf were fine for that and did indeed down many Argentine planes.

C) Sidewinders were not the sole missiles that could have been used by Harriers. Having them was a help but if we did not have them we would have had other air to air missiles.

Plus again we had submarines with nuclear missiles unlike Argentina as a last resort

A) Is plain wrong. It took a fleet of refuelling planes, refuelling each other. There is a documentary on it and @Sandpit posted about it earlier. It was the most complex refuelling operation ever done. Damage was minimal, but it had a deterrent effect. We couldn't just lob them over willy nilly.

B) Nonsense. I think we only had sea wolf on 3 ships and it was the only deterrent against exocets. I think one was shot down on the last attack on an aircraft carrier. Sea dart was for planes and that was successful, but ideally you want to intercept the planes beforehand.

If you think they were a fine deterrent how come so many of our ships were bombed?

C) So the experts at the time were all wrong then and only you are right. Interesting. Even Thatcher's advisors were wrong who disagrees with you.

Re continuing - You can stop any time,? You have made a complete fool of yourself today so I suggest it might be a good idea.

Does it never cross your mind when everyone tells you are wrong and all the evidence and experts on the subject in history also disagree with you that maybe it is you that is wrong?

Finally you have once again moved the goal posts. You said the USA was neutral. Do you concede they supplied over 100 sidewinders at point blank notice? No off course you won't even though it is all there for the rest of us to see.

Your inability to ever admit you are wrong is pathetic.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,769
    I assume the Ratcliffe deal is happening now in part because the US is easing off a little bit on Iran (despite that country's unfortunate habit of launching missiles in the direction of US bases). Iran is now perceived to be not quite so bad relative to Russia and usefully has oil.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Re TV. Am now on more than 3 months without any. It's great.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,110
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

@hyufd fpt.

a) We could not send Vulcans over willy nilly. We did it once. It was a massive logistical operation involving multiple refueling planes refueling each other to finally get a Vulcan over Stanley. It was a one off. So again you are talking nonsense.

B) Sea Dart and Sea Wolf are not air to air missile. They are a defence of last resort for ships. You haven't a clue have you? Also Sea Wolf was limited in numbers so it caused huge problems using it as a defence.

C) It was the harriers with their sidewinders that provided the first line of defence. Without them the ships would have been overwhelmed.

You have already wrecked most of my evening having to reply to you and are continuing now with your inability to ever let go. I am not going to ever concede to you. Just get that into your skull. Even if this lasts the rest of the year. Yet you continue from thread to thread continuing on again and again.

This thread could have ended 2 threads ago. But no, being the tedious bore you are you had to carry it over again and again onto the next thread and the next.

A) We had multiple Vulcans in the Falklands over the course of the War, all of which could have been used to bomb Argentine airfields.

B) All we needed to get our troops on our ships to the Falklands was to defend those ships. Sea Dart and Sea Wolf were fine for that and did indeed down many Argentine planes.

C) Sidewinders were not the sole missiles that could have been used by Harriers. Having them was a help but if we did not have them we would have had other air to air missiles.

Plus again we had submarines with nuclear missiles unlike Argentina as a last resort

A) Is plain wrong. It took a fleet of refuelling planes, refuelling each other. There is a documentary on it and @Sandpit posted about it earlier. It was the most complex refuelling operation ever done. Damage was minimal, but it had a deterrent effect. We couldn't just lob them over willy nilly.

B) Nonsense. I think we only had sea wolf on 3 ships and it was the only deterrent against exocets. I think one was shot down on the last attack on an aircraft carrier. Sea dart was for planes and that was successful, but ideally you want to intercept the planes beforehand.

If you think they were a fine deterrent how come so many of our ships were bombed?

C) So the experts at the time were all wrong then and only you are right. Interesting. Even Thatcher's advisors were wrong who disagrees with you.

Re continuing - You can stop any time,? You have made a complete fool of yourself today so I suggest it might be a good idea.

Does it never cross your mind when everyone tells you are wrong and all the evidence and experts on the subject in history also disagree with you that maybe it is you that is wrong?

Finally you have once again moved the goal posts. You said the USA was neutral. Do you concede they supplied over 100 sidewinders at point blank notice? No off course you won't even though it is all there for the rest of us to see.

If you were in charge we would have lost the Falklands War, on that there is no doubt as you did not have the guts to see it through.

Goodnight
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,429

Leon said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Did you try Paris Police 1900? Almost exactly the same period with added antisemitc ladies who lunch shooting up while listening to Fauré, plus a bit of serial killing chucked in.
    Oooooh. That does sound good.

Will try. Ta
  • Options
    Cookie said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

I don't want to oversell it. This is not a life-changing masterpiece. But if you want some smart, witty, lushly photographed and lightly erotic diversion (and, quite frankly who doesn't, right now?) this hits the spot

It also reminded me of a relationship quite close to my own heart. It's a sweet movie
  • Options
    edited March 2022

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Bisexual is but a bonus.

Eleanor Tomlinson has had a range of very different character parts the last few years. Amazingly versatile filly, improving sort, won’t let you down if the going turns soft 😆

Power of the dog does have amazing cinematography carefully based on art works, but the story didn’t engage me.
    I'm more interested in hard or firm going. Although it tends to be more good to firm these days. Sure Kiera could help. :)
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870
    Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

WTF is wrong with you?

Many have asked the same question
    OGH, grant me the strength to accept the arguments proving I am wrong, the courage to change the opinions I can, and the wisdom to never argue with HYUFD.
    I have found it very wise policy to simply ignore certain posters. It’s done wonders for my blood pressure.

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Bisexual is but a bonus.

WSS is truly excellent, but it is very sadly overlooked I think because it is a remake.
    I happen to think it’s possibly the best thing Spielberg’s done since Jaws.

It needs to be watched on the big screen. I was privileged to watch it at pretty much the precise location it is set.

Power of the Dog - although I am a big Jane Campion fan - is simply dull, agree.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,826
    What time does Nazanin's plane touch down in the UK.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

https://www.flightradar24.com/AWC601/2b28f1f9
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    Interesting that Nazanin was first flown to Oman. I believe they are good friends of ours, presumably easier to get a flight from there.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

@hyufd fpt.

If you were in charge we would have lost the Falklands War, on that there is no doubt as you did not have the guts to see it through.

Goodnight
    Given up then. Still haven't admitted you said it was easy. Still haven't admitted you didn't know about the sidewinders. Still insist there were 4 aircraft carriers. Still think all the experts at the time and since were wrong in everything they said.

Only you are right even though we can all see your errors here. History degree? Worthless in your case.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I assume the Ratcliffe deal is happening now in part because the US is easing off a little bit on Iran (despite that country's unfortunate habit of launching missiles in the direction of US bases). Iran is now perceived to be not quite so bad relative to Russia and usefully has oil.

It all makes me wonder if we’re 8/10ths of the way to a reheated nuclear deal.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

Well duh.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Andy_JS said:

https://www.flightradar24.com/AWC601/2b28f1f9
    Ta.
  • Options
    biggles said:

dixiedean said:

Interesting debate on R5L.
    Which was better Phoenix Nights or The Office?
    Phoenix for me. Or maybe that's the world I know?
    Regardless. A sign of how sitcoms have declined.
    Mrs. Brown's Boys these days.

Love the Office and Phoenix Nights, but Phoenix Nights is better. On the surface it’s simpler, but there are many more layers to it.

Also I’ve been in those clubs.
    Phoenix Nights is cleverer in its humour, but the Office clever in the way its narrative unfolds so beautifully.
    The most moving bits of telly are sitcoms. Drama feels unreal - nothing is that serious all the time. And you have your guard up for drama; you know it's trying to make you feel something. Whereas when the emotional moment comes along in a sitcom you're not guarding against it. If you don't have a lump in the throat at the end of the Office, or at the end of either of the first two series of the Royle Family (which basically invented the modern sitcom), or at the end of Gavin and Stacey then you possibly aren't human. I'm sure there are dozens of others too. (Anyone remember the end of Ever Decreasing Circles?)

On which subject, can I put in a word for Detectorists? Rather belatedly, I have been pointed towards it, and it is brilliant. Very much a 21st century sitcom - things happening, slowly, some of which is funny, but in an understated way - but give it an episode and a half and you will be hooked. Not least because it is so beautifully shot. It is written and directed and starring MacKenzie Crook - I think it's quite uncommon for a sitcom to owe so much to one man - and this comes across in the sheer artistry of it. Even the theme tune is wonderful. I find myself wondering how the show reflects MacKenzie Crook's worldview.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Bisexual is but a bonus.

Power of the Dog is an OK movie elevated way above its stature. It looks beautiful, but that's pretty much it. Cumberbatch is faintly ludicrous in his chaps. The script is ponderous, sometimes arduous. The message is hammered home with inelegance. Nothing happens. It is dull

If it had been made by a cishet white man it would have got zero attention. Wokeness is the enemy of great art
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

@hyufd fpt.

Goodnight
    Well I wouldn't presume to be able to run a war unlike you, but I wouldn't assume it was easy. So I suspect I might be more successful than you as I wouldn't be so arrogant. I have a feeling I have a lot more guts than you, an armchair general.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

biggles said:

dixiedean said:

Love the Office and Phoenix Nights, but Phoenix Nights is better. On the surface it’s simpler, but there are many more layers to it.

Phoenix Nights is cleverer in its humour, but the Office clever in the way its narrative unfolds so beautifully.
    The most moving bits of telly are sitcoms. Drama feels unreal - nothing is that serious all the time. And you have your guard up for drama; you know it's trying to make you feel something. Whereas when the emotional moment comes along in a sitcom you're not guarding against it. If you don't have a lump in the throat at the end of the Office, or at the end of either of the first two series of the Royle Family (which basically invented the modern sitcom), or at the end of Gavin and Stacey then you possibly aren't human. I'm sure there are dozens of others too. (Anyone remember the end of Ever Decreasing Circles?)

On which subject, can I put in a word for Detectorists? Rather belatedly, I have been pointed towards it, and it is brilliant. Very much a 21st century sitcom - things happening, slowly, some of which is funny, but in an understated way - but give it an episode and a half and you will be hooked. Not least because it is so beautifully shot. It is written and directed and starring MacKenzie Crook - I think it's quite uncommon for a sitcom to owe so much to one man - and this comes across in the sheer artistry of it. Even the theme tune is wonderful. I find myself wondering how the show reflects MacKenzie Crook's worldview.
    Never seen Phoenix Nights apart from that famous clip, the one they always show.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714
    AlternativeHistory.com is reporting (rumours only obviously at this stage) that something is going on in Belarus.
    Either false flag attack, coup or Poland has invaded.... (probably not the latter).
    Anyone know anymore, or is it just false information?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

biggles said:

dixiedean said:

I agree, sitcoms can reach places drama can’t when they are on form. Unless they slightly over do it, like MASH at its moralising worst.

I know of, but haven’t watched the Detectorists. Will give it a go.
  • Options
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Heh. Yes, it’s a lot more than that.
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Bisexual is but a bonus.

Power of the Dog is an OK movie elevated way above its stature. It looks beautiful, but that's pretty much it. Cumberbatch is faintly ludicrous in his chaps. The script is ponderous, sometimes arduous. The message is hammered home with inelegance. Nothing happens. It is dull

If it had been made by a cishet white man it would have got zero attention. Wokeness is the enemy of great art
    “Power of the Dog is an OK movie elevated way above its stature. It looks beautiful, but that's pretty much it. The script is ponderous, sometimes arduous. The message is hammered home with inelegance. Nothing happens. It is dull.”

That sums it up perfectly 👍🏻 And I didn’t really get the ending. No reason why it can’t win all awards for cinematography though
  • Options

AlternativeHistory.com is reporting (rumours only obviously at this stage) that something is going on in Belarus.
    Either false flag attack, coup or Poland has invaded.... (probably not the latter).

Yokes will know 🙂 where’s Yokes?
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714
    dixiedean said:

I think The Office was consistently better, but some of the Phoenix Nights episodes were really some of the best television you had in 2001.

That was a good year for telly. Phoenix Nights and The Office.
    I suspect you may have found Phoenix Nights funnier if you were from the North of England and remembered the sort of clubs Kay was sending up from the 70s and 80s. Him casting Jim Bowen in season two really showed where he was at.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Bisexual is but a bonus.

I'm more interested in hard or firm going. Although it tends to be more good to firm these days. Sure Kiera could help. :)
    “ tends to be more good to firm these day “

Then it needs a good watering. You don’t want it to be too fast.

Ironically, this is exactly what happened at Cheltenham on Wednesday, forecasts said no rain, so they watered the course! And then it rained all day. The two big match ups probably ruined by the ground getting heavy. Many punters had probably selected on understanding good to soft or even ante bet on horses last minute removed 🤦‍♀️

Sorry, am I still in sports betting mode 😀
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,888

Only confirmed facts are that Belarus Opposition figures are tweeting cryptically about [confirmed] explosions/sonic booms heard in several major cities and 30+ aircraft taking off: https://twitter.com/PavelLatushka/status/1504200509481173006

"❗️❗️❗️Over the past 3️⃣ hours, about 3️⃣0️⃣ fighter jets, transport planes & helicopters lifted into the sky from #Belarusian airfields in Baranovichi, Gomel, Lida, Luninets❗️
    6️⃣ missiles launched near the city of Kalinkovichi. Explosions are heard in various cities of #Belarus."

Followed by some very unconvincing explanations from the regime: https://twitter.com/MotolkoHelp/status/1504220790027440136

"A number of pro-Lukashenka telegram channels publish information that supposedly the sounds of explosions are heard because of drills at the “Brestski” training ground.❗️But: on average, a shot from a firearm on flat terrain in summer is heard at a distance of up to 3 km. A gun shot can be heard at a distance of up to 5 km, and gun fire can be heard at a distance of 15 km. And Pinsk is the nearest to the point where they heard the sounds of explosions – 165 km from the “Brestski” training ground, not 3 or 5 km."

Could be anything from supersonic drills to a false flag to a coup, but more likely nothing.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    BREAKING: South Korea reports 621,328 new coronavirus cases, by far the biggest one-day increase so far, and a record 429 new deaths

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1504254775575076868
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

WTF is wrong with you?

Many have asked the same question
    OGH, grant me the strength to accept the arguments proving I am wrong, the courage to change the opinions I can, and the wisdom to never argue with HYUFD.
    I have found it very wise policy to simply ignore certain posters. It’s done wonders for my blood pressure.

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Bisexual is but a bonus.

WSS is truly excellent, but it is very sadly overlooked I think because it is a remake.
    I happen to think it’s possibly the best thing Spielberg’s done since Jaws.

It needs to be watched on the big screen. I was privileged to watch it at pretty much the precise location it is set.

Power of the Dog - although I am a big Jane Campion fan - is simply dull, agree.
    Is it really a remake of west side story, or west side story a remake of Romeo and Juliet, so a new west side story not remake of west side story but a remake of Romeo and Juliet rather like a Rhine gold staging staged in seedy 50s American motel done a second time by someone else set in sleazy 50s American hotel, is not remake of first staging just another Rhinegold staging.

You know what I mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0lqyPQfP2o&t=11s

Either way Spielberg West Side Story is a triumph that will be much loved till the end of the world.
  • Options
    ‘The Times of Israel: Few facts, much speculation as explosions heard in Belarus.’

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/few-facts-much-speculation-as-explosions-heard-in-belarus/
  • Options
    Never shared a Wordle. I mean why would you?

Also:

Wordle 271 6/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
    ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟩⬜🟨⬜
    ⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
    ⬜🟩🟨🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
  • Options
    Landing any moment.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909
    edited March 2022

BREAKING: South Korea reports 621,328 new coronavirus cases, by far the biggest one-day increase so far, and a record 429 new deaths

Oof. Will China really try and lock this down? It can't possibly work.

CatMan said:

Also:

Wordle 271 6/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
    ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟩⬜🟨⬜
    ⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
    ⬜🟩🟨🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Does seem an odd thing to do...

Wordle 271 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
    🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
  • Options
    Reuters / Sky News: 3 Panama ships in Black Sea hit by Russian fire. One has sunk.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909
    Andy_JS said:

Reuters / Sky News: 3 Panama ships in Black Sea hit by Russian fire. One has sunk.

Clarification: In the past month. No actual dates are given.
  • Options

CatMan said:

Also:

Wordle 271 6/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
    ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟩⬜🟨⬜
    ⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
    ⬜🟩🟨🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle 271 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
    🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    I know, it's such a weird thing to do. Also:

Daily Quordle #52
    6️⃣8️⃣
    5️⃣3️⃣
    quordle.com
    🟨⬜⬜🟩⬜ ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
    🟨⬜🟨⬜⬜ 🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜ ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
    ⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
    ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 🟨⬜🟨⬜🟩
    ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜ 🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜ 🟨⬜⬜🟨🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    🟩⬜⬜⬜🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

CatMan said:

Also:

Wordle 271 6/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
    ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟩⬜🟨⬜
    ⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
    ⬜🟩🟨🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle 271 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
    🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    No idea why you would.

Wordle 271 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟩
    ⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩
    🟨🟩🟨⬜🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

nerdlegame 57 4/6

⬛⬛🟪⬛🟪🟩⬛🟪
    🟪🟪🟩🟪⬛🟩⬛⬛
    🟪🟪🟩⬛🟪🟩🟩🟪
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Daily Quordle #52
    4️⃣6️⃣
    7️⃣3️⃣
    quordle.com
    🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜ ⬜🟩⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
    ⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜ ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
    ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
    ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ ⬜⬜⬜🟩🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    ⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜ ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
    ⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜ ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,775
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

@hyufd fpt.

White noise.
  • Options

(Guardian)
    Biden calling Putin a war criminal is ‘unforgivable rhetoric’, says Kremlin

• Options
    Nigelb said:

(Guardian)

The irony is so thick you could cut it with a knife.

But here's the thing: they don't care that you can see through their shit. You are not the audience.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    @KyivIndependent
    ⚡️Moldova calls on Russia to withdraw from Transnistria.

Moldovan President Maia Sandu called for the removal of munitions and “complete and unconditional withdrawal of Russian forces” from the unrecognized breakaway region during a UN General Assembly meeting on March 16.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1504283852101070853
  • Options

@KyivIndependent
    ⚡️Moldova calls on Russia to withdraw from Transnistria.

Moldovan President Maia Sandu called for the removal of munitions and “complete and unconditional withdrawal of Russian forces” from the unrecognized breakaway region during a UN General Assembly meeting on March 16.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1504283852101070853

Russia is in serious danger of finding themselves fighting on half a dozen fronts.

• Options
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

(Guardian)

The irony is so thick you could cut it with a knife.

But here's the thing: they don't care that you can see through their shit. You are not the audience.
    The question is how long this will keep traction with their domestic audience, though. Even state media as tightly controlled as Russia’s can’t hide the reality on the ground indefinitely. The huge Russian casualties alone will make that obvious.

No doubt many will accommodate the shift from ‘liberation of Ukraine’ to the reality of all out bloody invasion of their neighbour, but what happens to public opinion when that invasion fails ?
  • Options

Spielberg West Side Story is a triumph that will be much loved till the end of the world.

Tuesday then....
  • Options
  • Options
    Reassuringly strong messaging from France.
    (Guardian)
    …Russia is only “pretending to negotiate” with Ukraine and is engaging in a “dramatic process of long-lasting brutality”, France’s foreign minister has said.

“There is only one emergency: the cease-fire, the cease-fire, the cease-fire. ... It is only on this basis that you can negotiate, because you don’t negotiate with a gun on your head,” Jean-Yves Le Drian told French newspaper Le Parisien in an interview on Wednesday.

Le Drian added that France would consider Russia responsible for any use of chemical or bacteriological weapons in the war in Ukraine.

If chemical or bacteriological attacks took place in Ukraine, we’d know who would be solely responsible for them. It would be Russia.”…

It seems as though western governments have decided the idea imposing a settlement unacceptable to Ukraine in order to save face for Putin is nor a good one.
  • Options
    Bit of a reverse ferret from China.
    (Guardian)
    China’s ambassador to Ukraine has praised the Ukraine’s unity and resistance in remarks which appear to contradict the country’s earlier stance.

Fan Xianrong said China “will never attack Ukraine” but will support it economically and politically during a meeting with Lviv’s regional military administration, Ukrainian media outlet Ukrinform reported, citing the administration’s press service.

“China will never attack Ukraine, we will help, in particular in the economic direction.

In this situation, which you have now, we will act responsibly. We have seen how great the unity of the Ukrainian people is, and that means its strength”.…
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,932
    Nigelb said:

Bit of a reverse ferret from China.
    (Guardian)
    China’s ambassador to Ukraine has praised the Ukraine’s unity and resistance in remarks which appear to contradict the country’s earlier stance.

Fan Xianrong said China “will never attack Ukraine” but will support it economically and politically during a meeting with Lviv’s regional military administration, Ukrainian media outlet Ukrinform reported, citing the administration’s press service.

“China will never attack Ukraine, we will help, in particular in the economic direction.

In this situation, which you have now, we will act responsibly. We have seen how great the unity of the Ukrainian people is, and that means its strength”.…

China is realising that the benefits to themselves are going to be economic rather than political, that they’re better staying neutral in the war than attracting sanctions themselves, and when the Moscow stock market re-opens it’s going to be ripe for picking.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,337
    Mike took the words out of my mouth. I said it would happen by the end of April and it happened on March 17th. I was derided for saying so but was right.

I'm afraid that if the fighting in Ukraine continues but is contained it won't remain the front page story here that many think it should.

Between now and end of April there will be further instances of this and probably increasingly so. It doesn't take long for British people to fatigue of a story that isn't in their own back yard.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Mike took the words out of my mouth. I said it would happen by the end of April and it happened on March 17th. I was derided for saying so but was right.

I'm afraid that if the fighting in Ukraine continues but is contained it won't remain the front page story here that many think it should.

Between now and end of April there will be further instances of this and probably increasingly so. It doesn't take long for British people to fatigue of a story that isn't in their own back yard.

Just as a matter of interest, has the "British people to fatigue of a story" resulted in any diminution of support for the Ukrainians?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    Congrats to Astra Space, whose small rocket has successfully launched customers satellites for the first time. This is a fast turn-around after a failure last month.

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2022/03/15/astra-space-places-satellites-into-orbit-for-first-time/

Russia's increasingly going to fall behind in space. Now all we need is for ESA to develop a crew launcher... ;)
  • Options
    Meanwhile Boris Johnson is looking very over weight (and empty handed):

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/03/16/blow-boris-johnsons-oil-export-hopes-walks-away-empty-handed/
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Just as a matter of interest, has the "British people to fatigue of a story" resulted in any diminution of support for the Ukrainians?
    Hopefully not.

But it's a disappointing feature of life that if things aren't personally affecting them, stories have a limited shelf life. I'm sure I read a study of this somewhere which put a figure on it.

Attention spans have generally shortened in this social media instantaneous age:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/apr/16/got-a-minute-global-attention-span-is-narrowing-study-reveals

https://muckrack.com/blog/2020/07/14/how-declining-attention-spans-impact-your-social-media
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,025
    Heathener said:
    MBS would need an XXXL bone saw for that chunky boi!
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Explosions and sonic booms reported in a number of cities in Belarus overnight.

What’s up there? Coup attempt, Russians bombing, Belarusians bombing, Ukranians bombing Russians, NATO bombing Russians but not in Russia?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    Heathener said:

Nazanin is a big story though. Back to Ukraine tomorrow I guess. Her husbands family live locally to me so it will still be big when I get back home.
  • Options

Congrats to Astra Space, whose small rocket has successfully launched customers satellites for the first time. This is a fast turn-around after a failure last month.

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2022/03/15/astra-space-places-satellites-into-orbit-for-first-time/

Russia's increasingly going to fall behind in space. Now all we need is for ESA to develop a crew launcher... ;)

The big worry is the ISS, an amazing project over more than two decades which has, up until now, remained outside any and all political tensions between the countries involved.

If Russia pulls out, the $200bn station, the most expensive item ever produced by humans, will quickly end up in the sea.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,280
    Nigelb said:
    What an amazing feat of engineering. The pictures so far have been little short of stunning.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Heathener said:
    Yes if only we too could have a leader who looks macho while sitting half naked on horseback and absolutely not homoerotic at all because good Russians aren’t into that sort of thing.

Brent below $100. That wasn’t part of the plan was it. Particularly as no one in the West will touch Urals with a barge pole so it’s being let go for a ($30?) discount to the Indians.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,280
    Yesterday there were numerous reports that peace talks had made rapid progress.

What’s the optimism level now ?
  • Options

Heathener said:

Nazanin is a big story though. Back to Ukraine tomorrow I guess. Her husbands family live locally to me so it will still be big when I get back home.
    Great so see the war kicked off the front pages by a good news story, on what was a thankfully slow day in Ukraine. The poor lady has a seven year old daughter and has been stuck in the Iranian ‘justice’ system for six years.

A careful balance now needs to be drawn between re-engaging with old enemies, and avoiding the domestic crisis that can result from the more immediate Russia problem causing inflation. That said, if we can bring countries like Iran and Venezuela back a little towards stable democracy, then that’s good for the world.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Cookie said:

biggles said:

dixiedean said:

The Detectorists is superb. Gentle, calming and life affirming. And yes the theme song by Jonny Flynn rounds it off, particularly as he pops up in the pub open mic episode to sing it.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    edited March 2022
    The sense of humour in southern Spain amidst the red dust episode:

"Almerians heading to work"

• Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,146
    moonshine said:

Cookie said:

biggles said:

dixiedean said:

The Detectorists is superb. Gentle, calming and life affirming. And yes the theme song by Jonny Flynn rounds it off, particularly as he pops up in the pub open mic episode to sing it.
    The episode that opens with the sequence in Roman Britain is extraordinary.

As to your question: I think Worzel Gummidge and Detectorists as a body of work for MacKenzie Crook tells us everything we need about the way he feels about the world. If he's faking it I don't want to know.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Nigelb said:
    What an amazing feat of engineering. The pictures so far have been little short of stunning.
    Actually, I'd argue Ingenuity (*) on Mars is a much bigger (okay, smaller in size) achievement. Something that would have been a mission success if it just flew has done 21 flights, and is actually being used for science, scouting out the route ahead for the Perseverance rover.

Ingenuity will change the way we explore other planets - and it's done so really, really cheaply. James Webb shows the worst of NASA - they did it, but at massive cost. Ingenuity shows the best of NASA when they JFDI.

(*) The helicopter on Mars
  • Options
    LOL at the pictures of the sandstorm in London last night. I get a sunset like that every week or two… :D
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The big worry is the ISS, an amazing project over more than two decades which has, up until now, remained outside any and all political tensions between the countries involved.

If Russia pulls out, the $200bn station, the most expensive item ever produced by humans, will quickly end up in the sea.
    Yeah, but the ISS is near the end of its life anyway. It'd be a shame if it goes down before Axiom Space sends up their modules (*), but it will be replaced, probably by something private. As long as everyone on board gets down safely.

As an aside, would you like to be the American astronaut who is scheduled to come down on a Soyuz in the next few weeks?

(*) Axiom are a private company building a space station. Their plan is to send modules that connect to the ISS, and when they have enough of them, they will disconnect them to form an independent space station. They are also hopefully sending up a private crew to the ISS at the end of this month. They are serious players.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,039
    Good morning everyone. Bright and sunny here today with ne'er a trace of sand.
    Except, I suspect, on our car which lives outside.

The ultimate tragedy here last night was our failure to pick up Ms Cyclefree's thoughtful piece.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yeah, but the ISS is near the end of its life anyway. It'd be a shame if it goes down before Axiom Space sends up their modules (*), but it will be replaced, probably by something private. As long as everyone on board gets down safely.

As an aside, would you like to be the American astronaut who is scheduled to come down on a Soyuz in the next few weeks?

(*) Axiom are a private company building a space station. Their plan is to send modules that connect to the ISS, and when they have enough of them, they will disconnect them to form an independent space station. They are also hopefully sending up a private crew to the ISS at the end of this month. They are serious players.
    It’s due to be retired in 2030, so it’s about 70% though its life.

I would hope NASA are looking at the Dragon option for the stranded astronaut, even if it means sending up another crew to rescue him. There’s a non-inconceivable chance that he ends up as a PoW once the Russians pick him up in Kazakhstan.

Not heard of Axiom before, but sounds like a feasible plan to initially bolt on to the ISS, where they could transfer more long term experiments etc. The replacement of the old-fashioned business model of NASA, by private capital risk, has brought about a revolution in space transport.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135
    Really brilliant to see Nazanin back home and holding her daughter, some much needed good news in these dark times. And a genuine achievement for Liz Truss, who has clearly approached the task of bringing her home with more application than her predecessors. Her stock must be much risen as a result, presumably she should be favourite now to replace the PM if he goes before an election?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,771

Really brilliant to see Nazanin back home and holding her daughter, some much needed good news in these dark times. And a genuine achievement for Liz Truss, who has clearly approached the task of bringing her home with more application than her predecessors. Her stock must be much risen as a result, presumably she should be favourite now to replace the PM if he goes before an election?

Yep. Fizzy Lizzy will sign anything for headlines.
  • Options

I'd give some credit to Truss on this but I suspect it's largely just fortuitous timing - Iran seems to have chosen a more accommodating path - I know they were unhappy over the invasion of Ukraine but I really don't know whence the rapprochement has come, welcome as it is.
  • Options
    felix said:

I'd give some credit to Truss on this but I suspect it's largely just fortuitous timing - Iran seems to have chosen a more accommodating path - I know they were unhappy over the invasion of Ukraine but I really don't know whence the rapprochement has come, welcome as it is.
    Trump gone.
    Money paid.
    Oil needed.

Jobs a good 'un.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,039
    edited March 2022
    One couldn't make this up. A friend has a family member who is Ukrainian, and who, understandably, wants to get a couple of relations over here and to safety. The refugees had escaped to Moldova, so a Brit went over the help them. They found the British authorities unhelpful and obstructive, so, in desperation my friend appealed to her MP, who was helpful.
    The friend, like me, lives in Witham constituency!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

felix said:

Trump gone.
    Money paid.
    Oil needed.

Jobs a good 'un.
    Yes but Trump's been gone a while now and the oil was needed either way. No idea what your last sentence means.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,348

Good morning everyone. Bright and sunny here today with ne'er a trace of sand.
    Except, I suspect, on our car which lives outside.

The ultimate tragedy here last night was our failure to pick up Ms Cyclefree's thoughtful piece.

3C here, with a very nice day in prospect, not a cloud in the sky and the morning sun glinting off the sea as a Portuguese freighter chugs by. A shame I have to stay in and wait for the guys to come and replace my flooring.

Last night’s nuclear threat to Argentina seems like a distant dream.
  • Options
    felix said:

Foxy said:

felix said:

Trump gone.
    Money paid.
    Oil needed.

Jobs a good 'un.
    Yes but Trump's been gone a while now and the oil was needed either way. No idea what your last sentence means.
    It's easy to make a deal when Iran gets what it wants.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,489
    Taz said:

Nigelb said:
    Proof that stars are a central blob with symmetrical points, as correctly displayed on Christmas trees throughout the ages.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,112
    Nazanin's release shows that BoZo could have done it at any time since becoming PM, but chose not to.
This discussion has been closed.