Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

LAB YouGov lead down to 2% but Johnson trails Starmer by 7% as “best PM” – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,397
    MaxPB said:

I go through alternating waves of worry, hope, despair, and happiness (*).

This morning I was hopeful that Ukraine might just do it. Now I'm in a worry phase. The other evening I had worry and despair simultaneously.

Am I the only one going through this?

What a time to do a 'dry' month...

(*) I have a young son. It's impossible not to be happy.

Such is the lot of supporting a rank underdog. They can't possibly win. They are fighting the whole of the Red Army. It's not possible. Is it?

So many of us are emotionally involved in willing on a 100/1 shot. We've probably never wanted a winner as much in our lives. On anything. Because they are fighting the nastiest c**t most of us have ever known. The ultimate cartoon villain. They HAVE to win. But surely, they CAN'T win? How?

But then, a tractor tows away a tank. A motorbike and side-car tows away a mortar, Ukrainian guys riding it grinning from ear to ear. You mad crazy bastards, you might just pull this off, even as your cities are turned to dust. But surely, you can't defeat the Red Army, an army led by a man lacking any basic level of human decency?

Emotionally, it shreds you. Made all the worse because here I am in my lovely house in Devon, pretty much unaffected by it. As people die. Delightful people who have done nothing to deserve this. People who are being asked to endure more hell and uncertainty - all because our Government can't pull its finger out and show off why we are the guys in the white hats, the good guys, the ones siding with moral authority.

Mordor has opened its gates and disgorged its foulness upon the land. And we are left hoping that, from somewhere, the eagles are going to appear and make it all better. We are hanging our emotions on a Hollywood ending. Powered by wishes, the bravery of a nation about to be crushed - and not much else.
    I think part of it is that what looked on paper like a 100/1 shot is more like a 10/1 shot because the Red Army has turned out to not have made any advancements since the fall of the USSR. It's the same kit and badly trained conscripts up against a NATO trained and armed force fighting for their freedom.
    Currently it looks about 50/50 to me, FWIW.
    The guy from RUSI on R4, who up until very recently had been pretty pessimistic, was of similar opinion.

What has been greatly underestimated is just how much better is the Ukrainian army than it was in 2014.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,957
    edited March 2022
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

(Sample Size: 1658 GB adults Fieldwork: 3rd - 4th March 2022)

LD vote looks quite efficiently concentrated where it needs to be, especially as their overall score is on the lower side of recent polls.
    They are rapidly becoming a South of England party. That has advantages and disadvantages.
    It does mean the LDs have replaced the Tories as the new party of the posh post Brexit
    Orkney and Shetland and Caithness are hardly Surrey.
    Even in Scotland the LDs tend to now represent the posher bits eg Edinburgh West, Caithness, North East Fife
    Edinburgh West isn't THAT posh. In fact I just happened to be passing AC-H's office the other day..

Compared to most of Scotland all of Edinburgh is posh and Edinburgh West is a middle class part of the city.

NE Fife contains posh St Andrews of course too
    A socio economic expert on Scotland as well, is there no start to your talents?!
    It helps to be posh to see posh, so clearly that rules out you!
    Do the posh see themselves as posh? It's a label with negative connotations.
    There’s a brilliant exchange in one of James Lees-Milne’s fabulous diaries, where he asks his friend, a duke, ‘what it’s like being a duke’

The duke ponders and replies, ‘it’s like waking up every morning of your life and seeing you’ve got a Christmas present’
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,205
    edited March 2022

Sturgeon on top of the important stuff. Like apologising to witches..

"Nicola Sturgeon apologises to people accused of witchcraft"
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-60667533

She is trying to outgun Trudeau!
    I thought this was a spoof until I saw it was the BBC.

Still, you have to admire her ability to be on top of current events. I'm sure the witches of Prestwick will sleep easy in their graves tonight as europe descends into a barbaric war.

Next stop the British gov to apologise to the druids.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    MattW said:

Looks like it's International Mansplaining Day..

So I said to them its wrong to say only women can have cervixs....
    Actually it is wrong ....
    It is, the caption has it the wrong way round for the joke. I misread it. Good spot.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    MattW said:

Quite. It's cervices.

Autocorrect wants to say crevices, another thing only women have.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,727
    kle4 said:

Still, you have to admire her ability to be on top of current events. I'm sure the witches of Prestwick will sleep easy in their graves tonight as europe descends into a barbaric war.

It's appalling what happened. I might start a Facebook campaign.
  • Options
    What about the fucking WIZARDS. Why does no one ever apologise to THEM?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,022

kle4 said:

It's appalling what happened. I might start a Facebook campaign.
    Wasn't that the Romans?

The apologia should come from Italy.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,870
    malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:
    I don't have better links. I guess you can escape from yourself though.

Edit: I wonder how much of life is escaping from yourself.
    Now you are just being an arsehole for the sake of it Go Fuck yourself and keep your big snout out of my business. Stick to ineracting wiith other jessie boys.
    As you wish.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,714
    kle4 said:

Surely it's the Italian government that should do that?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,452
    kle4 said:

They'll be apolgising for slavery next.

Only joking! It's accentuate the positive side of slavery of course.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,562

Any of them still alive? If not, totally fecking pointless.
  • Options
    I was about to suggest that Sturgeon should apologise to the shambling, grunting, apelike Neanderthals, for breeding them out of existence, but then I remembered the existence of @malcolmg
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,912

Chameleon said:

Do we know the root cause of the internet issues today?

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1501271341529542666

Twitter, discord, spotify, and zoom have been spitting errors for me.

Most likely a large scale Russian denial of service attack.
    Looks like something weird along those lines:
    https://twitter.com/eastdakota/status/1501276906158657541

"We’ve seen reports of service outages across the Internet. Confirmed @Cloudflare’s services all operational. No uptick in attacks. We are seeing local drops in traffic from some upstream providers. Not yet clear if they’re related or not. All indications: not a Cloudflare issue."

As for Ukraine v Russia, I really can't see Russia taking Lviv, let alone holding it. Russia will not win on the battlefield.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,080

kle4 said:

Immigration with a guaranteed job, and English lessons?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

LD vote looks quite efficiently concentrated where it needs to be, especially as their overall score is on the lower side of recent polls.
    They are rapidly becoming a South of England party. That has advantages and disadvantages.
    It does mean the LDs have replaced the Tories as the new party of the posh post Brexit
    Even in Scotland the LDs tend to now represent the posher bits eg Edinburgh West, Caithness, North East Fife
    Edinburgh West isn't THAT posh. In fact I just happened to be passing AC-H's office the other day..

Is there any particular reason that the MSP has a toilet on his doorstep? Is it that posh that his constituents cannot piss in the doorway like everywhere else?
    Fly tipping I think, or possibly a political critique.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,556
    darkage said:

rpjs said:

Chameleon said:

https://twitter.com/iVisitLondon/status/1500802950909894656

"Today is the day murderous females get the recognition they so rightfully deserve, @LondonDungeon for one day only Jack the Ripper has been dubbed Jackie the Ripper.

Read More: https://ivisitlondon.co.uk/london-articles/the-london-dungeons-the-story-of-jackie-the-ripper/"

Spat out my tea when I saw this. Just incredibly bad judgement from all involved.

I think that even beats the PSNI a couple of years back when they marked International Women’s Day by asking female officers to nominate for an award male officers that had helped them.
    international womans day is just a load of crap to justify some corporate jobs and virtue signalling. Its a day I dont venture on linkedin
    I also made the mistake of looking at linkedin. Identity politics continues to make idiots out of people.
    Perhaps a suitable reflection for International Women's Day is that War, the most stupid and wasteful of all human activities, is almost exclusively the preserve of Men.

No Woman No Cry. No Man No War.
  • Options
    40% of RU invasion force are conscripts - Mark Galeotti, D Mail

• Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Surely it's the Italian government that should do that?
    I considered it appropriate as the successor to the local authorities. What is Boris really but proconsul?
  • Options

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

Is there any particular reason that the MSP has a toilet on his doorstep? Is it that posh that his constituents cannot piss in the doorway like everywhere else?
    There appears to be a giraffe pissing in the toilet.

• Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,398
    edited March 2022
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

This morning I was hopeful that Ukraine might just do it. Now I'm in a worry phase. The other evening I had worry and despair simultaneously.

Such is the lot of supporting a rank underdog. They can't possibly win. They are fighting the whole of the Red Army. It's not possible. Is it?

So many of us are emotionally involved in willing on a 100/1 shot. We've probably never wanted a winner as much in our lives. On anything. Because they are fighting the nastiest c**t most of us have ever known. The ultimate cartoon villain. They HAVE to win. But surely, they CAN'T win? How?

But then, a tractor tows away a tank. A motorbike and side-car tows away a mortar, Ukrainian guys riding it grinning from ear to ear. You mad crazy bastards, you might just pull this off, even as your cities are turned to dust. But surely, you can't defeat the Red Army, an army led by a man lacking any basic level of human decency?

Emotionally, it shreds you. Made all the worse because here I am in my lovely house in Devon, pretty much unaffected by it. As people die. Delightful people who have done nothing to deserve this. People who are being asked to endure more hell and uncertainty - all because our Government can't pull its finger out and show off why we are the guys in the white hats, the good guys, the ones siding with moral authority.

Mordor has opened its gates and disgorged its foulness upon the land. And we are left hoping that, from somewhere, the eagles are going to appear and make it all better. We are hanging our emotions on a Hollywood ending. Powered by wishes, the bravery of a nation about to be crushed - and not much else.
    I think part of it is that what looked on paper like a 100/1 shot is more like a 10/1 shot because the Red Army has turned out to not have made any advancements since the fall of the USSR. It's the same kit and badly trained conscripts up against a NATO trained and armed force fighting for their freedom.
    The guy from RUSI on R4, who up until very recently had been pretty pessimistic, was of similar opinion.

What has been greatly underestimated is just how much better is the Ukrainian army than it was in 2014.
    Turns out that if you get trained and equipped by us, the Americans, and (I think) the Canadians, you reap some benefits. Especially if those counties keep giving the odd intelligence based pointer (one assumes) after they pull out.

Edit - plus Denmark and Sweden it would seem.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,870
    kinabalu said:

darkage said:

rpjs said:

Chameleon said:

https://twitter.com/iVisitLondon/status/1500802950909894656

"Today is the day murderous females get the recognition they so rightfully deserve, @LondonDungeon for one day only Jack the Ripper has been dubbed Jackie the Ripper.

Read More: https://ivisitlondon.co.uk/london-articles/the-london-dungeons-the-story-of-jackie-the-ripper/"

Spat out my tea when I saw this. Just incredibly bad judgement from all involved.

I think that even beats the PSNI a couple of years back when they marked International Women’s Day by asking female officers to nominate for an award male officers that had helped them.
    international womans day is just a load of crap to justify some corporate jobs and virtue signalling. Its a day I dont venture on linkedin
    I also made the mistake of looking at linkedin. Identity politics continues to make idiots out of people.
    Perhaps a suitable reflection for International Women's Day is that War, the most stupid and wasteful of all human activities, is almost exclusively the preserve of Men.

No Woman No Cry. No Man No War.
    The most constructive and wonderful too. Women can now take their place in all of this - no doubt good and bad.
  • Options
    I asked earlier today whether Poland had sent those soviet jets:

Reuters
    @Reuters
    ·
    36m
    Poland ready to place all its MIG-29 jets at the disposal of the U.S.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,556

MattW said:

It is, the caption has it the wrong way round for the joke. I misread it. Good spot.
    No you were right before. And the caption did work for the reactionary joke. So now you're wrong twice! What a tangle. 🙂
  • Options
    Another white van man makes his feelings clear to the local Russian embassy…

https://twitter.com/anneapplebaum/status/1501283335036833793
    At the Russian embassy, Warsaw.
    The sign at the end reads "Russian coal, fuck off"
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,395
    edited March 2022
    Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦
    @IAPonomarenko

Georgia’s former defense minister Irakliy Okruashvili has arrived in Ukraine with his squad to join the International Legion.
    Note this very interesting container this gentleman is holding.

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1501285838193410051
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,169
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

Compared to most of Scotland all of Edinburgh is posh and Edinburgh West is a middle class part of the city.

A socio economic expert on Scotland as well, is there no start to your talents?!
    Do the posh see themselves as posh? It's a label with negative connotations.
    Most of the posh people I know see themselves as working class salt of the earth.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,742
    Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

Do we know the root cause of the internet issues today?

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1501271341529542666

Twitter, discord, spotify, and zoom have been spitting errors for me.

Most likely a large scale Russian denial of service attack.
    Looks like something weird along those lines:
    https://twitter.com/eastdakota/status/1501276906158657541

"We’ve seen reports of service outages across the Internet. Confirmed @Cloudflare’s services all operational. No uptick in attacks. We are seeing local drops in traffic from some upstream providers. Not yet clear if they’re related or not. All indications: not a Cloudflare issue."

As for Ukraine v Russia, I really can't see Russia taking Lviv, let alone holding it. Russia will not win on the battlefield.
    One thing to be wary of is that the population of Ukraine is not evenly distributed. At least before 2014, it seems like the vast majority of the population was to the east of the Dniepr (or right next to it, like Kyiv). So, although geographically there would be a lot of Ukraine left to occupy to the west, in population terms that's much less the case.

If Russia were to take Kyiv, and Odessa, Kharkiv, Poltava, Chernihiv and Dnipro - it might look like they'd taken half the country, but it's more like 80%. At the moment, though, it looks like the Armed Forces of Ukraine would have to suffer quite a collapse to lose Kyiv, and all the south coast, and everything east of the Dniepr.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Turns out that if you get trained and equipped by us, the Americans, and (I think) the Canadians, you reap some benefits. Especially if those counties keep giving the odd intelligence based pointer (one assumes) after they pull out.

And the Russian, since 2014, who have provided a whole generation of Ukraine conscripts with combat experience.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,038

Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦
    @IAPonomarenko

Georgia’s former defense minister Irakliy Okruashvili has arrived in Ukraine with his squad to join the International Legion.

Don't be fooled. It's like one of those novelty gift wrap things. :D
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,066

Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦
    @IAPonomarenko

I wonder if we have the future Hemingways and Orwells somewhere amongst this mass of international volunteers. They will certainly have plenty of source material.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,679
    Leon said:

What about the fucking WIZARDS. Why does no one ever apologise to THEM?

It's down to Oz, surely.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Reuters
    @Reuters
    ·
    36m

The wiki numbers won’t be right because they don’t tell you about serviceability, attrition buys etc.

But:

- Looks like 20-40 in Poland (and spares might help get more of Ukraine’s ex-Soviet stocks in the air.

- Another 20-40 between Slovakia and Bulgaria.

- Counties like Yemen and Peru have some and might cooperate.

- The US has enough flying it must have a supply chain for spares.

Hmmmmmm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mikoyan_MiG-29_operators
  • Options
    RobD said:

Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦
    @IAPonomarenko

The NLAW is the iconic AK47 of this war

Speaking of which, I remember saying at the outset of Covid that “plague is worse than war”

It is depressing to have my observation tested so quickly by reality, and even more depressing to discover that I might have been wrong
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,236
    Sorry PB, that wicket was my fault. Was I just thinking how well Bairstow and Foakes were going.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,562
    tlg86 said:

Sorry PB, that wicket was my fault. Was I just thinking how well Bairstow and Foakes were going.

Off to con home with you for the next hour.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Immigration with a guaranteed job, and English lessons?
    A chance to be assocated with the greatest nation on earth in howsoever a humble role.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Leon said:

RobD said:

Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦
    @IAPonomarenko

Speaking of which, I remember saying at the outset of Covid that “plague is worse than war”

It is depressing to have my observation tested so quickly by reality, and even more depressing to discover that I might have been wrong
    Famine coming up too
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited March 2022

Any of them still alive? If not, totally fecking pointless.
    And if so, well, witch: apology rescinded.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

It’s not you alone. I went for a wee. I have proven over the years that if I don’t keep both feet off the ground (rest them on empties in the ground and put them up at home) then England will lose a wicket. It’s scientifically proven.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,712

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

Clearly it's for the giraffe.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,759

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Biden barely gets through this speech without lapsing into total incoherence

https://twitter.com/SarahRosemary3/status/1501237580402249732?s=20&t=Xfjy5j18coREz1PHnfGE9g

I feel for the guy. He's old and teetering on the edge of senility. He's still a trillion times better than Trump, but oh for a younger, sharper president in the White House. Zelenskyy should maybe get the job, after he's finished saving Kyiv

At least some of Biden's appointees are up to snuff. Blinken has been impressive

Biden. He's a curious mixture of feistiness and fragility. I don't think he's senile though. Just physically fragile and a bit tongue-tied.
    He has a stammer and has always had one. It has nothing to do with his senility or not.
    No, it's more than just a stammer. He loses the thread of speeches even when they are right in front of him. I take no pleasure in this. This is not a "smeary Trumpist talking point" - I detest Trump and the idea of him winning in 2024 fills me with dread, Trump is arguably one of the reasons Putin has started this terrible war

Biden IS mentally frail. Hopefully they can keep him together with sellotape and string and find a better candidate than Harris in 2024. And, as I have said, Biden has some impressive aides, which is a consolation
    It is a smear and comes from Trump corner. He's not "teetering on the edge of senility". He's simply a man who shows his age. That's unfashionable these days with everyone busting a gut to present as 20 years younger than they are. Quite refreshing actually. In a sense.

But, yes, like you I want to see a US president with fewer rings in the bark next time. And I also want to say how pleased and relieved I am to note from you an absence of the ludicrous 'Putin wouldn't have done this with Trump in the WH cos Trump's so tough and unpredictable" spin.

That's a feather in your cap. Your cap now has a feather.
    Sorry, but he IS teetering on the edge of senility - and that's the best case. Forgetting the name of PM of Australia and of the Defense department is not the equivalent of forgetting where you put the car keys.
    More horseshit. PM of the Defense Department?
    The name of the defense department. "That building over there" I think he called it.

Is that hard to understand?
    A bit of forgetfulness and failure to bring names to mind at age of 79 does NOT mean you are fecking senile.

Yes, a second term is out, but for time being he is all we have got to stop the forces of Mordor as @MarqueeMark aptly described them earlier.

Gandalf was old.
    Would also point out that Uncle Joe (of 21st NOT 20th century) has still got pretty good notion even now what Defense Dept does and does not do, and what it's there for in the first place.

In stark contrast to his immediate predecessor . . . leading proponent of Biden = demented vegetable line.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,215

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

I sure ain't posh but then I don't share your sort's obsession with class. I'd estimate you as C1>B, ie not a hope in hell of being considered posh. Unselfconscious use of the word posh is a bit of a tell fyi.
    "All of Edinburgh is posh"!?! What has HYUFD been binge watching, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie? I'd like to see him canvass in some parts of Pilton, Leith and Craigmillar for instance.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,441
    edited March 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦
    @IAPonomarenko

Famine coming up too
    Is it beng so cheerful what keeps you going? :neutral:
  • Options
    Glancing at wikipedia information about fighter jets and what I see is that they are classified the same way as video game consoles, by generation.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Glancing at wikipedia information about fighter jets and what I see is that they are classified the same way as video game consoles, by generation.

Probably why I still have a thing for the look of tornados. They were the mega drive.
  • Options
    Reuters) - Ukrainian state arms manufacturer Ukroboronprom said on Tuesday it would pay $1 million to anyone who captured a combat-ready Russian military aircraft - an offer it said was open to Russian pilots wanting to switch sides.

The firm will pay $500,000 for every helo

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1501248112005988357
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Nigelb said:

Reuters) - Ukrainian state arms manufacturer Ukroboronprom said on Tuesday it would pay $1 million to anyone who captured a combat-ready Russian military aircraft - an offer it said was open to Russian pilots wanting to switch sides.

Looking forward to farmers dragging a couple in via tractor.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,851
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

I sure ain't posh but then I don't share your sort's obsession with class. I'd estimate you as C1>B, ie not a hope in hell of being considered posh. Unselfconscious use of the word posh is a bit of a tell fyi.
    "All of Edinburgh is posh"!?! What has HYUFD been binge watching, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie? I'd like to see him canvass in some parts of Pilton, Leith and Craigmillar for instance.
    Niddrie. HYUFD wouldn't last 20 seconds.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Looking forward to farmers dragging a couple in via tractor.
    Along with an old crop duster. "No man, this is totally a Russian military aircraft, this old Soviet stuff is junk"
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,465
    *The Coca-Cola Co Suspends Its Business in Russia
    $KO
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,313
    kle4 said:

Like games consoles they take a lot of development and their replacement takes years of planning. The first tranche of production typhoons was in 2003 with the proposed replacement not expected to be delivered to the RAF until 2035. they get refresh every now and then (eg Tornado GR4) to keep planes flying but new planes are rare.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

I'd pay money for that.
    Perhaps he should set up a Youtube channel, wannabe posho gets the pish ripped by schemies. I'd hazard a guess that your average Piltonian would see through HYUFD's parvenu poshness.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,338
    biggles said:

Reuters
    @Reuters
    ·
    36m

The wiki numbers won’t be right because they don’t tell you about serviceability, attrition buys etc.

But:

- Looks like 20-40 in Poland (and spares might help get more of Ukraine’s ex-Soviet stocks in the air.

Hmmmmmm

If Trump was still POTUS, he could lean on his bud Kim Jong-Il and see if the North Koreans would be willing to spare some MiG-29s.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

$KO

Shares in Rola Cola to rocket.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

biggles said:

Reuters
    @Reuters
    ·
    36m

But:

Hmmmmmm

If Trump was still POTUS, he could lean on his bud Kim Jong-Il and see if the North Koreans would be willing to spare some MiG-29s.
    I can see one potential flaw in that plan.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,851
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

biggles said:

Reuters
    @Reuters
    ·
    36m

But:

Hmmmmmm

HE IS EVERLASTING
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,446
    biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

$KO

The way things are going it will be state made Z Cola.
  • Options
    This seems pretty fucking desperate..

Richard Bartholomew
    @Barthsnotes
    Russian news service Interfax reports that "drops of red" appeared on the icon of the Mother of God at the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ near Moscow, "the main church of the Armed Forces of Russia".
    http://interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=16462
    8:36 PM · Mar 8, 2022· Twitter Web App
    https://twitter.com/Barthsnotes/status/1501295807554723842
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

biggles said:

Reuters
    @Reuters
    ·
    36m

But:

Hmmmmmm

HE IS EVERLASTING
    Interestingly I see Jong-Il was only leader for 17 years in total, and his son has already been leader for 10 years.

Not sure what eternal post Jong-Un will get when he dies though, with President and General Secretary taken by the other God-Kings.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Chameleon said:

"Looks like quite the olive branch/ off ramp to Putin here from President Zelenskyy:

“The people who elected me are not ready to surrender, we are not ready for ultimatums. But we can discuss with Russia the future of Crimea and Donbas”."
    https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1501296259541393411

"…in particular regarding the recognition of the independence of the occupied territories of the Donetsk and Luhansk regions, the Head of State noted that a compromise is possible on this point… 👀"

"“.. as well as compromises on Crimea. We cannot recognize Crimea is territory of Russia. I think it will be difficult for Russia to recognize that this is territory of Ukraine. I think we are smart enough to ensure the decision on these two issues does not cause any revolutions”"

I believe I am the only one who has been proposing Independent Crimea on here but it's the solution to stop a Russian pincer movement. The Donbass could be addressed by minority rights or autonomy.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,446
    Wasn't Fanta born out of the Nazis not able to have Coke Cola anymore?
  • Options
    edited March 2022

biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

$KO

The way things are going it will be state made Z Cola.
    Imagine the smuggling opportunities this is creating in all the neighbouring “stans”? When the shooting stops I might go to Russia with a suitcase of Levi’s and see if I can trade it for a state owned monopoly and party like it’s 1991.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,813

I think that Ukraine will reject the peace deal and carry on fighting. They know that the price of surrender is subservience to Russia, even if this is not made explicit in any deal. It is not freedom at all. There is too much will to fight. Russia can blow up the country to bits, but cannot win as they are detested by the population. Russia are making similar - but worse - errors as the UK and US in Afghanistan and Iraq; their resolve will eventually be crushed and broken in the same way. The mistake is to see the war as something that will inevitably be over in a couple of weeks. It is more likely to be years long quagmire, like most wars are. The victory for Ukraine, if it comes, will be a quiet one.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

biggles said:

Reuters
    @Reuters
    ·
    36m

But:

Hmmmmmm

HE IS EVERLASTING
    That's Kim IlSung, surely? Or have they done the same to So Ronery?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,723
    edited March 2022
    biggles said:

tlg86 said:

It’s not you alone. I went for a wee. I have proven over the years that if I don’t keep both feet off the ground (rest them on empties in the ground and put them up at home) then England will lose a wicket. It’s scientifically proven.
    My Dad calls it walk a wicket “He’s On 95, you can’t go to the toilet now”
  • Options

And then came Mezzo..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezzo_Mix
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

"Looks like quite the olive branch/ off ramp to Putin here from President Zelenskyy:

“The people who elected me are not ready to surrender, we are not ready for ultimatums. But we can discuss with Russia the future of Crimea and Donbas”."
    https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1501296259541393411

"…in particular regarding the recognition of the independence of the occupied territories of the Donetsk and Luhansk regions, the Head of State noted that a compromise is possible on this point… 👀"

"“.. as well as compromises on Crimea. We cannot recognize Crimea is territory of Russia. I think it will be difficult for Russia to recognize that this is territory of Ukraine. I think we are smart enough to ensure the decision on these two issues does not cause any revolutions”"

Is mad dog Putin sane enough to take that.? Let us pray so. It won’t get any better
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

biggles said:

Reuters
    @Reuters
    ·
    36m

But:

Hmmmmmm

HE IS EVERLASTING
    That's Kim IlSung, surely? Or have they done the same to So Ronery?
    They have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_leaders_of_North_Korea#"Eternal_General_Secretary/Eternal_Chairman"
  • Options
    This thread has

Not accepted a Russian ultimatum.

• Options
    edited March 2022

And then came Mezzo..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezzo_Mix
    “Mersey water” I think, in Liverpool. Half coke half orange juice.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,095

This seems pretty fucking desperate..

Richard Bartholomew
    @Barthsnotes
    Russian news service Interfax reports that "drops of red" appeared on the icon of the Mother of God at the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ near Moscow, "the main church of the Armed Forces of Russia".
    http://interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=16462
    8:36 PM · Mar 8, 2022· Twitter Web App
    https://twitter.com/Barthsnotes/status/1501295807554723842

I'm not sure that will necessarily be interpreted positively.
    It is an ill omen from a statue which was previously said to have myrrh on it.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    biggles said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

I should imagine the Ukrainian policy of rotating their regular draft conscripts through the Donbass front line to gain actual combat experience has paid dividends too.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,266
    Leon said:

I was about to suggest that Sturgeon should apologise to the shambling, grunting, apelike Neanderthals, for breeding them out of existence, but then I remembered the existence of @malcolmg

Stay classy Leon, that is poor low shot, to think you used to be a player as well @Leon
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,266

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

TUD, you trying to teach the Yoon Scotch experts some reality
This discussion has been closed.