Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

How long before Ukraine doesn’t dominate the front pages? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,049
edited March 2022 in General
imageHow long before Ukraine doesn’t dominate the front pages? – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533
    Of course there's a new thread just as I get a Jack Hawkins reference in.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    If the Russian offensive stalls further and Ukraine cannot recapture lost ground it'll start to come off the front pages, simply as nothing 'new' will be happening.
  • Covid stayed top story for most of a year. Ukraine is bigger than that. It will remain top story unless The Queen dies, Boris resigns or we are forced to eat pineapple on pizza due to food rationing.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,481
    Totally will dominate until Queen's Platinum weekend in June when the front pages will be cleared. For one day.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611
    kle4 said:

If the Russian offensive stalls further and Ukraine cannot recapture lost ground it'll start to come off the front pages, simply as nothing 'new' will be happening.

I’m pretty sure things will start happening in Russia at that point that will fill up the front pages.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,481
    mwadams said:

Snorkers! Good, oh!
  • What honour should the UK award Zelensky? Do you think The Queen would be up for an OM?
    I've never thought NATO or the EU would truly want in their ranks a nation which is being partially occupied, because of the difficulty that would cause in terms of then defending them, or rather implicit obligation to help them recapture the occupied areas.

But it's clearly not a strategy doing any good. Several places which are pro-EU (which whether we are in the EU or not is a good thing) are having their futures decided by Russia who can just bite off chunks, eventually back off or be beaten off from more, then sit their content that pseudo-neutrality can be enforced at least by virtue of denying them entry into alliances and clubs they may want to join.

Since NATO is a military alliance that's probably still off the table, but perhaps the EU can advance the applications of such nations and accept them regardless after all. If they can be helped to achieve any requirements it's the only thing to do - Russia would hit the roof, but the risk is clearly very high even without letting these places join.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,371
    South Korea reports 254,327 new coronavirus cases and 216 new deaths, the biggest one-day increase on record

What honour should the UK award Zelensky? Do you think The Queen would be up for an OM?

Very limited numbers, but there have been honorary members. And certainly honorary knighthoods have been granted.

He's bring down the average age pretty considerably - Prince Charles (who I'm sure as an Order of Merit on merit) is one of the younger ones.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    kle4 said:

What honour should the UK award Zelensky? Do you think The Queen would be up for an OM?

Very limited numbers, but there have been honorary members. And certainly honorary knighthoods have been granted.

He's bring down the average age pretty considerably - Prince Charles (who I'm sure as an Order of Merit on merit) is one of the younger ones.
    We can send Putin a Pointless trophy.
    mwadams said:

Bizarrely, I thought that line worked better than saying war. 🤭
    *on topic

Wow. The Telegraph has us about to get properly involved at last.

So this is how we get into the direct war with Russia, on the argument we are at grave threat from the nuclear power stations in out of control war zone

That sounds remarkably plausible, the Telegraph may have called this one ahead of the others.

• ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    edited March 2022

*on topic

So this is how we get into the direct war with Russia, on the argument we are at grave threat from the nuclear power stations in out of control war zone

That sounds remarkably plausible, the Telegraph may have called this one ahead of the others.

I could see NATO/IAEA cordon sanitares around the remaining nuclear power plants + say 500m, making the nuclear sites effectively ringfenced. Russia wouldn't attack them then.

mwadams said:

That's just cruel, see.....
    Oh that’s brilliant. It was worth staying up for. 👏🏻
    edited March 2022
    Chameleon said:

*on topic

I could see NATO/IAEA cordon sanitares around the remaining nuclear power plants + say 500m, making the nuclear sites effectively ringfenced. Russia wouldn't attack them then.
    No we are not going in because of urgent threat to power stations going Chernobyl. That’s the official reason. We are going in because our political leaders can’t take many more buckets of shame like the ones Zelenskyy is pouring over them tonight. Every death from now is our fault, for watching on when we could have saved them. That’s not next weeks chip wrapper, that echoes for ever in pages of proper history books. Zelenskyy doesn’t just inspire Ukrainians to take a chance and fight, he is inspiring everyone, in all countries. Just about everyone wants us to properly kick Putin butt now and stop these terrible things happening. The Western Leaders must seriously worry now if they will have any credibility left if they don’t allow him at least a no fly zone.

If you want inside news on Conservative Party and Military matters, surely that’s preserve of the Telegraph.

If I was Putin, I’d be very worried after that front page that Pentagon, Downing Street and NATO are quietly this minute behind the scenes putting in place a shocking little plot twist for him?

It feels like they are, from the rhetoric so noticeably changing?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742
    kle4 said:

I've never thought NATO or the EU would truly want in their ranks a nation which is being partially occupied, because of the difficulty that would cause in terms of then defending them, or rather implicit obligation to help them recapture the occupied areas.

But it's clearly not a strategy doing any good. Several places which are pro-EU (which whether we are in the EU or not is a good thing) are having their futures decided by Russia who can just bite off chunks, eventually back off or be beaten off from more, then sit their content that pseudo-neutrality can be enforced at least by virtue of denying them entry into alliances and clubs they may want to join.

Since NATO is a military alliance that's probably still off the table, but perhaps the EU can advance the applications of such nations and accept them regardless after all. If they can be helped to achieve any requirements it's the only thing to do - Russia would hit the roof, but the risk is clearly very high even without letting these places join.

The issue will be whether the EU has its own version of NATO's Article 5. To deliver on that, it will need an Army.

Now, if they had not forced the UK out by giving Cameron such a shitty renegotiation package, they would have had the basis for a much more effective fighting force. But....
  • Chameleon said:

It would seem to be an interesting course. Send in forces to secure the plants - warning the Russians well in advance, and making it plain the force won't shoot unless shot at - and allow the IAEA to monitor the situation. But I'm not sure this could be done as a NATO mission, more likely a temporary coalition of nearby countries.

Of course this would indirectly benefit Ukraine by keeping the lights on, so who knows how Mad Vlad would react.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,692

Chameleon said:

*on topic

No we are not going in because of urgent threat to power stations going Chernobyl. That’s the official reason. We are going in because our political leaders can’t take many more buckets of shame like the ones Zelenskyy is pouring over them tonight. Every death from now is our fault, for watching on when we could have saved them. That’s not next weeks chip wrapper, that echoes for ever in pages of proper history books. Zelenskyy doesn’t just inspire Ukrainians to take a chance and fight, he is inspiring everyone, in all countries. Just about everyone wants us to properly kick Putin butt now and stop these terrible things happening. The Western Leaders must seriously worry now if they will have any credibility left if they don’t allow him at least a no fly zone.

If you want inside news on Conservative Party and Military matters, surely that’s preserve of the Telegraph.

If I was Putin, I’d be very worried after that front page that Pentagon, Downing Street and NATO are quietly this minute behind the scenes putting in place a shocking little plot twist for him?

It feels like they are, from the rhetoric so noticeably changing?
    As much as I want to stop Putin, I think everybody should be forced to watch the movie Threads (1984) before advocating for a hot war with Russia.

At the rate things are going I fear most of Europe is going to be radioactive glass by this time next week.

Nobody wins if everybody is dead.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264

Chameleon said:

It would seem to be an interesting course. Send in forces to secure the plants - warning the Russians well in advance, and making it plain the force won't shoot unless shot at - and allow the IAEA to monitor the situation. But I'm not sure this could be done as a NATO mission, more likely a temporary coalition of nearby countries.

Of course this would indirectly benefit Ukraine by keeping the lights on, so who knows how Mad Vlad would react.
    It'd have to be badged as a UN IAEA mission, which would be made up mostly of NATO forces, maybe excluding the US to placate Russia. As long as it's all well signposted, shouldn't cause major issues if anyone on the Russian side is sensible. Probably reduces the net chance off anything nuclear going off in Europe.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,368
    edited March 2022
    In normal times Shane Warne would probably be on the front pages of most of the newspapers. Still can't believe he's died at such a young age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x9HyTGRJTc
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077

BBC shows it is not to be trusted with big numbers:

Is such a snide post really necessary?
    edited March 2022
    We have failed the people of Ukraine.

To those telling themselves, and each other, differently: Putin has won this. He has made the west cower from him militarily whilst he expands Greater Russia by crushing a civilised nation.

Margaret Thatcher would have stood up to him.
    "Putin will win and win again if the West continues to show that it is afraid of him"
    Charles Moore

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/03/04/putin-will-win-win-west-continues-show-afraid/
    Chameleon said:

*on topic

The other day MISTY was claiming that he can't abide NIMBYism when it comes to fracking.

Well here is NIMBYism writ large. We will step in not to help Ukraine or Ukrainian people but just in order to stop nuclear fallout affecting us. Nothing about people being pulverised by a bully. Nothing about innocent lives already being lost. All about saving our own skin from radiation.

It stinks.

We should stand up to this bully Putin no matter what the consequences. Call him out. If that means we declare war on Putin, so be it.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,349
    On topic, if Putin’s thugs don’t stop killing children and threatening unclear Armageddon, then it might be a while before the world forgets about it.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215
    Sandpit said:

On topic, if Putin’s thugs don’t stop killing children and threatening unclear Armageddon, then it might be a while before the world forgets about it.

Unclear Armageddon pretty much sums up Putin's objectives.
    I was wondering the same re the front pages. Every other story has been blown away. This is one of the few positive aspects of the current situation, people are taking notice and much of the response to the crisis has been driven by public opinion. It is not going to slip down the list of stories in to being some obscure conflict on the other side of the world, not any time soon at least.
    darkage said:

Sandpit said:

Unclear Armageddon pretty much sums up Putin's objectives.
    LOL, too late to change the typo now. Maybe it’s the mistake that leads to the nuclear Armageddon!
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

To those telling themselves, and each other, differently: Putin has won this. He has made the west cower from him militarily whilst he expands Greater Russia by crushing a civilised nation.

What did she do about Russia invading Afghanistan, and Vietnam invading Cambodia? Apart from arming the Taliban and Khymer Rouge? What did she do about the Soviets crushing the Solidarity movement in Poland?

Maggie lives on as the PB Tory fantasy, willing to do anything in their fevered dreams.
    Thatcher was emblematic of a more powerful and confident country.
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Maggie lives on as the PB Tory fantasy, willing to do anything in their fevered dreams.
    I'm not a tory. But I recognise that she was a strong leader.

She stood up to the Argentinian Junta even when it was 8000 miles away.

She would have stood up to Putin.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229

"The US currently buys more than 500 million barrels of Russian crude per day, about 10% of its overall oil imports."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60532634

2021: world oil production averaged 96.5m a day.....

OK. The US has oil imports of about 5 million barrels per day. Of this 85-90% is Canada, 5-10% is Mexico, and the rest is small amounts from Saudi, Russia, UAE, etc.

There may have been days when Russia was 10% of US oil imports, but it will not have been a regular thing.
    rcs1000 said:

"The US currently buys more than 500 million barrels of Russian crude per day, about 10% of its overall oil imports."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60532634

2021: world oil production averaged 96.5m a day.....

OK. The US has oil imports of about 5 million barrels per day. Of this 85-90% is Canada, 5-10% is Mexico, and the rest is small amounts from Saudi, Russia, UAE, etc.

There may have been days when Russia was 10% of US oil imports, but it will not have been a regular thing.
    Figures which, for example, a media organisation with huge numbers of journalists, researchers and editors, might be able to easily check before printing the story?
    rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

There are two separate issues here:

(1) Have the people of Ukraine lost?
    (2) Has Putin won?

The people of Ukraine are losing their lives and their homes every day.

But the idea that Putin (and Russia) have come out of this stronger is utterly deluded. Russia's weapons have shown themselves no match for the West's. Who would buy a Russian fighter plane or helicopter, given they are being destroyed by citizens wielding the very lowest tech stuff from Raytheon?

Russia is supposed to have some of the best anti-aircraft systems in the world. Their S400 missile system is $300m a pop, and they've blanketed their parts of Ukraine with it. It is supposed to be able to destroy fighters, bombers, drones and even stealthy aircraft.

A week in, they're out of missiles, and the Ukrainian airforce is intact, and its drones still fly. The S400, used for the first time in anger in Ukraine, is one of the most expensive duds in history. It's meant to take out enemy aircraft 150 miles away... yet I don't think it's managed a single kill.

It gets worse. Russia's armor and APCs have been hammered. Thousands of vehicles have been destroyed.

Only the Russian artillery has proven any worth. And that's technology that is eighty years old, and which would be in terrible trouble if the Ukrainians had more than a few dozen Turkish drones.

Putin can't act with inpunity because the best parts of his armed forces have already been destroyed. Yes, he'll probably manage to hold Ukraine up to the Dnieper. But Lviv looks a lot safer than it did. Simply, Russian supply chains are already a disaster, and moving 300 miles West through hostile country with few roads (while garrisoning half a dozen rebellious cities) is likely to be far too much for the Russian army.

Ukraine (and the Ukrainian people) have paid a terrible price.

But the people of Poland will be breathing a lot easier, having seen the utter failures of the Russian army in the Ukraine.
    I hope this is correct, but there is a lot of other analysis that indicates the Russian military had a bad start and are now getting things together. We are only 10 days in to the war. In case anyone missed it, the unherd interview a few days ago with Justin Bronk was terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naPuZgI53Co
    Heathener said:

What can we do that doesn't risk starting a nuclear war?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,886
    edited March 2022

*on topic

Yes on the first bit of the T front page but no. That's sensationalism and bullshit from the Telegraph.

The standfirst (Prime Minister warns ‘radioactive cloud’ threatens Europe as US declares Nato ready for conflict after Russian attack on power plant) is a misrepresentation.

Boris Johnson was talking about a potential threat, not an existing threat from a cloud. And yes it can be interpreted both ways, but the could have written it so that the inaccurate 'cloud has already been created' interpretation was not possible. But, being shitty media, they chose not to do so.

BJ was also not talking about us 'going in'; he was talking about sending in nuclear experts from the UN. Which seems eminently reasonable.

Suggest referring Telegraph front pages to the wipe-your-bottom-after-using-the-toilet application. Our grandparents in the 1950s knew the value of over-speculative newspapers, and what to do with them.

As far as I can see (and I have not looked exhaustively, so I may be wrong), there is no link to the original speech or interview - which is a telltale for useless media.

Full article here, turn off Javascript to read it:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/03/04/boris-johnson-west-must-stop-nuclear-disaster-ukraine/
    edited March 2022
    MattW said:

*on topic

Yes on the first bit of the T front page but no. That's sensationalism and bullshit from the Telegraph.

The standfirst (Prime Minister warns ‘radioactive cloud’ threatens Europe as US declares Nato ready for conflict after Russian attack on power plant) is a misrepresentation.

Boris Johnson was talking about a potential threat, not an existing threat from a cloud.

BJ was also not talking about us 'going in'; he was talking about sending in nuclear experts from the UN. Which seems eminently reasonable.

Suggest referring Telegraph front pages to the wipe-your-bottom-after-using-the-toilet application. Our grandparents in the 1950s knew the value of over-speculative newspapers, and what to do with them.
    But, but how are they supposed to get the likes and shares, if they keep the over-speculative and over-emotive opinionating to the middle pages where it used to live, and use the front page for dry, factual reporting of the war?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478
    Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

With Putin in charge, anything we do might risk starting a nuclear war - or at least the threat of one. He'll take anything as an excuse, if the threat gets him what he wants. As he has done already.

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

With Putin in charge, anything we do might risk starting a nuclear war - or at least the threat of one. He'll take anything as an excuse, if the threat gets him what he wants. As he has done already.
    But we have to take that risk and stand up to him.

Yes it's a huge risk but if we don't, we see civilisation and the rule of law crushed in western Europe.
    Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

We need to issue a 48 hour ultimatum to Putin.

Ceasefire and enter talks in 48 hours or we install a no fly zone.

Stand up to him.
    edited March 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

(2) Has Putin won?

But the idea that Putin (and Russia) have come out of this stronger is utterly deluded. R

You're altering my language and the meaning. I didn't say Putin came out stronger. I said Putin has won.

And I think you are 'deluded' if you think otherwise. The Russian forces are slowly crushing Ukraine. Pulverising the people, destroying the country.

Do you really think Putin gives a flying fig if all that's left of Ukraine is rubble? Or if he loses 4000 tanks and 40,000 personnel in the process?

All he cares about is that he has annihilated the country of Ukraine. Which he has.

Putin got what he wanted. And we let him get away with it.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,511
    I was struck by the photo last thread of the lorry load of NLAWs. And then I saw the unspeakable photo the Sun’s website leads with.

Russia’s generals aren’t going to merrily send their tanks into Kiev kill zones. They will instead first engage in days or weeks of heavy bombardment. In our worst nightmares, this would also include poison gas but I doubt they will flinch at the wholesale use cluster and vacuum bombs.

Time to convince Zelensky into a 21st century Operation Pied Piper. Organised evacuation of every child in the country before it’s too late.
    edited March 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

(2) Has Putin won?

But the people of Poland will be breathing a lot easier, having seen the utter failures of the Russian army in the Ukraine.
    They haven't failed. And having got away with it, next time he won't pussyfoot around at the beginning with convoys. He'll go straight in with mass bombardment. He will pulverise from the outset.

People talk about 'risk' well, yes, life is a risk. If we don't stand up to this ogre we have let the values of western civilisation be bullied into submission.

And to those citing Afghanistan re. Margaret Thatcher, this is Europe. A country which was democratic and free. We have effectively done nothing (don't kid yourselves in self-satisfaction otherwise), nothing at all to stop Putin getting away with it.
    "US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has told the BBC that he is convinced Ukraine can win its war with Russia."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60626921
    edited March 2022
    darkage said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

(2) Has Putin won?

But the idea that Putin (and Russia) have come out of this stronger is utterly deluded. Russia's weapons have shown themselves no match for the West's. Who would buy a Russian fighter plane or helicopter, given they are being destroyed by citizens wielding the very lowest tech stuff from Raytheon?

Russia is supposed to have some of the best anti-aircraft systems in the world. Their S400 missile system is $300m a pop, and they've blanketed their parts of Ukraine with it. It is supposed to be able to destroy fighters, bombers, drones and even stealthy aircraft.

A week in, they're out of missiles, and the Ukrainian airforce is intact, and its drones still fly. The S400, used for the first time in anger in Ukraine, is one of the most expensive duds in history. It's meant to take out enemy aircraft 150 miles away... yet I don't think it's managed a single kill.

It gets worse. Russia's armor and APCs have been hammered. Thousands of vehicles have been destroyed.

Only the Russian artillery has proven any worth. And that's technology that is eighty years old, and which would be in terrible trouble if the Ukrainians had more than a few dozen Turkish drones.

Putin can't act with inpunity because the best parts of his armed forces have already been destroyed. Yes, he'll probably manage to hold Ukraine up to the Dnieper. But Lviv looks a lot safer than it did. Simply, Russian supply chains are already a disaster, and moving 300 miles West through hostile country with few roads (while garrisoning half a dozen rebellious cities) is likely to be far too much for the Russian army.

I hope this is correct, but there is a lot of other analysis that indicates the Russian military had a bad start and are now getting things together. We are only 10 days in to the war. In case anyone missed it, the unherd interview a few days ago with Justin Bronk was terrifying.

I am sure the Russian army is adapting and improving. But that doesn't change the fact that their weapons have been exposed as painfully inferior to those produced in the UK, the US, France and Turkey.

And Russia will have burnt through a lot of ammunition and other consumables. Given sanctions, their ability to replenish will be rather constrained.
    Ruble opening at 122/$, only another 13% lost in the past 24 hours.

Was 76/$ a fortnight ago, so everything imported is doing to be double the price - if they can find anyone who wants to sell to them?
    Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

(2) Has Putin won?

But the idea that Putin (and Russia) have come out of this stronger is utterly deluded. R

You're altering my language and the meaning. I didn't say Putin came out stronger. I said Putin has won.

And I think you are 'deluded' if you think otherwise. The Russian forces are slowly crushing Ukraine. Pulverising the people, destroying the country.

Do you really think Putin gives a flying fig if all that's left of Ukraine is rubble? Or if he loses 4000 tanks and 40,000 personnel in the process?

All he cares about is that he has annihilated the country of Ukraine. Which he has.

No, really.

He wants Russia to be a superpower. To be feared. To have a sphere of influence. To be the regional hegemon.

Russia has achieved none of those things, even if they do grind Ukraine into the dust.
    rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

(2) Has Putin won?

No, really.

He wants Russia to be a superpower. To be feared. To have a sphere of influence. To be the regional hegemon.

Russia has achieved none of those things, even if they do grind Ukraine into the dust.
    Well, I think that's a more sensible debating point but I would still suggest it's much too early to decide on that longer term outcome. We should return to that in 10 years not 10 days, if there's a human race still left by then ;)
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

(2) Has Putin won?

I am sure the Russian army is adapting and improving. But that doesn't change the fact that their weapons have been exposed as painfully inferior to those produced in the UK, the US, France and Turkey.
    Which I did say all along and why I said he wouldn't be stupid enough to invade.

But instead of a conventional victory he chose the pulverising option (as per Syria). He has pulverised Ukraine whilst the west militarily watched on.
    rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

(2) Has Putin won?

He wanted Russia ... to be feared

Which he has certainly achieved. The west has cowered. Even right wingers on here are scared of him.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,852
    Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

(2) Has Putin won?

Which he has certainly achieved. The west has cowered. Even right wingers on here are scared of him.
    Cautious - and rightly so - not scared.

Going directly to a hot war is exactly what Putin wants.

I was beginning to believe you might not be a troll… but now I have my doubts again… you have flipped from “do nothing Putin won’t invade why is the west being so aggressive in arming Ukraine” (which is what Putin wanted at the time) to “we most go in guns blazing and sacrifice all our moral authority while giving Putin an excuse to escalate to nukes if he wants” (which is what Putin currently wants)
    ’And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do,
    I don’t mind. why should I be frightened of dying?
    There’s no reason for it, you’ve gotta go sometime.’

edited March 2022
    This feels rather appropriate right now. And as a nice little pb.com test, see if you can name every one of the world leaders pictured?

Pink Floyd 'Brain Damage / Eclipse from the Pulse tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z39KZAryzk

Timeless genius
    Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

(2) Has Putin won?

Are you on crack?

Heathener said:

I just spent the evening with Roger Waters' son :lol:
    rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

I just spent the evening with Roger Waters' son :lol:
    +1

Oh wow!
    Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

(2) Has Putin won?

rcs1000 is right that the last 10 days have proved how poor Russia's conventional military assets are. They wouldn't last long against the West.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761
    Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Yes it's a huge risk but if we don't, we see civilisation and the rule of law crushed in western Europe.
    No way is Western Europe under threat, indeed Eastern Europe is also looking safer too, apart from East of the Dnieper, and that is a long way East.

Economic blockade (for that is what our heavy sanctions are) is a very effective, albeit slower and less dramatic, way of warfare. It was a big part of how WW1 was won, the CSA crushed and Napoleon defeated.

Banks are more effective than tanks.
    rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

(2) Has Putin won?

Are you on crack?

:smiley:

If we don't stand up to Putin now then there is no civilisation left worth defending.
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

I'd love to see you stand in front of Zelensky and the people of Ukraine and utter that balderdash.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,369
    Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

(2) Has Putin won?

Are you on crack?

If we don't stand up to Putin now then there is no civilisation left worth defending.
    Do you trust Putin not to push the button?
    edited March 2022
    rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

(2) Has Putin won?

And Russia will have burnt through a lot of ammunition and other consumables. Given sanctions, their ability to replenish will be rather constrained.
    It does seem as if the Ukrainians have retaken the highway from Kyiv to the West, and onto Lviv, cutting off the advanced Russian forces to the south. They are going to deplete their supplies quickly.
    Heathener said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

I'd love to see you stand in front of Zelensky and the people of Ukraine and utter that balderdash.
    It is economic collapse in Russia that will stop this war.

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

(2) Has Putin won?

)

No, scared. Scared of escalation. Scared of nuclear fallout. Scared of nuclear war.

I get that. But we have let this madman pulverise a country. I think the time for courage has come and for us to stand up to the bully. For their sakes if not ours.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Lady's and Gentlemen, boys & girls, it is time saddle up for another installment of the "Mud and Truck Maintenance in Ukraine" feed.

And this one will be a doozy, because we are talking about Russian truck refueling in the 64km column north of Kyiv. 🧵
    1/

No matter what kind of fuel conservation techniques they engaged in. The 1st 17km or so of that 64 km Russian Army column is out of fuel.

They planned a 3-day operation which is in its 8th day.

And given the temperatures and radio use, those vehicles have dead batteries.

The Russians have formed the world's longest POW camp. And the Ukrainians don't have to feed it.

https://twitter.com/trenttelenko/status/1499894935209795594?s=21
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,511
    Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

(2) Has Putin won?

Are you on crack?

Are you trolling?
    Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

(2) Has Putin won?

Are you on crack?

Do you trust Putin not to push the button?
    No I think he might press some of the buttons. It's a risk that I believe we may now have to take.

We should give him 48 hours to ceasefire or we install a no fly zone. Let's do this step by step.
    Heathener said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Banks will also rebuild Ukraine. That is why Zelensky is trying to get immediate EU membership. Economic, not military help.

A No Fly Zone means a widening of the war to all NATO powers vs Russia. It would be a real risk of nuclear apocalypse.
    URGENT MESSAGE

People should be paying far more attention to what is going on in Finland. The president travelled to the US yesterday and there is a meeting between Finland and Sweden today. It is not clear what has been discussed about these countries joining NATO. Will the US really want this, given that it increases the likelihood of conflict? But Finland joining NATO is going to be intolerable to Putin. A 1300km land border with NATO ? It is only going to be seen as an extreme provocation.

What are Finland meant to do though? If they don't join NATO then what are their choices? Putin has said that he views Finland as being part of his Greater Russia. Do we leave a defiant Finland to a Ukraine style pulverisation because we are scared of nuclear war? Or can we tolerate a Finnish government sympathetic to Russia within the EU, potentially with Russian military bases in Finland? If they are shunned by NATO, what other options do they have?
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

A No Fly Zone means a widening of the war to all NATO powers vs Russia. It would be a real risk of nuclear apocalypse.
    Yes it would and we must take it
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

(2) Has Putin won?

It does seem as if the Ukrainians have retaken the highway from Kyiv to the West, and onto Lviv, cutting off the advanced Russian forces to the south. They are going to deplete their supplies quickly.
    Heathener said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Sanctions have never collapsed a country and I don't believe that they will stop Putin pulverising Ukraine. Longer term, they will of course have a huge impact although he is already getting around some of them.
    Heathener said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Why?
    moonshine said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

(2) Has Putin won?

Are you on crack?

Are you trolling?
    I just think it's awful the way we in the west are almost visibly thinking that it's okay because if we leave Ukraine to be crushed we ourselves will be safe.

What kind of moral fibre is that?

I accept that the alternative is a hell of a risk but if we don't ... what are we, really?
    I'm off out but I'll just leave you with this thought. Before asking if I'm on crack or trolling, just remember this: what I'm saying is what Zelensky is saying. If right now you were sitting next to Zelensky in some makeshift Kyiv bunker, what would you think? What would you say?

Yes, the risks of escalation are huge. Potentially devastating. But we cannot sit by militarily and let this country get crushed by Putin's thuggery just to protect our own skins.

That's just my view. If I'm wrong, that's fine.
    edited March 2022
    darkage said:

URGENT MESSAGE

People should be paying far more attention to what is going on in Finland. The president travelled to the US yesterday and there is a meeting between Finland and Sweden today. It is not clear what has been discussed about these countries joining NATO. Will the US really want this, given that it increases the likelihood of conflict? But Finland joining NATO is going to be intolerable to Putin. A 1300km land border with NATO ? It is only going to be seen as an extreme provocation.

What are Finland meant to do though? If they don't join NATO then what are their choices? Putin has said that he views Finland as being part of his Greater Russia. Do we leave a defiant Finland to a Ukraine style pulverisation because we are scared of nuclear war? Or can we tolerate a Finnish government sympathetic to Russia within the EU, potentially with Russian military bases in Finland? If they are shunned by NATO, what other options do they have?

If Putin didn’t want a long land border with NATO, he shouldn’t have claimed Ukraine, with it’s 500km border with Poland and others with Slovakia, Hungary and Romania.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    Sandpit said:

Was 76/$ a fortnight ago, so everything imported is doing to be double the price - if they can find anyone who wants to sell to them?

On that topic, Samsung and Panasonic would appear to be amongst the latest major corporations in the democratic world to have ceased shipments to Russia. There'll doubtless be plenty of smuggled goodies still to be enjoyed by the elite in Russia, but the middle class (or that portion of it that hasn't managed to run away) is going to be living in a recreation of the Soviet era circa 1950 before very long.
  • pingping Posts: 3,805
    edited March 2022
    Heathener said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

With respect, that’s mad.

MAD
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    Ukraine 🇺🇦 sweep the board in the Men's Sprint Vision Impaired event!

#Gold Vitali Lukianenko 🇺🇦
    #Silver Oleksandr Kazik 🇺🇦
    #Bronze Dmytro Suiarko 🇺🇦

#Beijing2022 #WinterParalympics #ParaNordic

@ukrparalympic
    It’s like a hostage situation controlled by a lone, possibly crazy, gunman with a massive suicide vest. He has made demands and is killing hostages one at a time. He is on the ground floor of a tower block, with 1000 residents trapped above him.

As some suggest, we could go in heroically, guns blazing and accept the risk he might blow everyone up. Alternatively we could wait for sanctions to starve him out, but that is painful as he keeps killing hostages. It’s a long shot to assume the gunman might change his mind. He has an accomplice, the best bet is that they end it.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478
    darkage said:

URGENT MESSAGE

We don't want to 'poke' Russia, do we?

And that's the problem we face. We are in a crowded bar with a drunken Begbie wannabe, who will take any provocation to start a fight.

Those who are suggesting we just move to a different pub should ask what'll happen when he's trashed the one he's in, and moves onto our new one.

Putin: an uglier Begbie.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,852
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

(2) Has Putin won?

)

No, scared. Scared of escalation. Scared of nuclear fallout. Scared of nuclear war.

I get that. But we have let this madman pulverise a country. I think the time for courage has come and for us to stand up to the bully. For their sakes if not ours.
    And we are.

Could we do more? Of course. We could fire a nuke at Moscow. Would that be wise? No.

Doing what it’s right is not always easy. We are arming the Ukrainians, we are hitting Russia economically, they are isolated in the world bodies, they are excluded from cultural events. We should do things like stop buying their oil and gas, continue to apply additional sanctions, etc.

But things like boots on the ground and a NFZ carry a high risk of escalation and providing Putin with a propaganda excuse. The biggest advantage the West has is that the world is united (apart from Syria, Byelorus, N Korea and Eritrea) in horror. We don’t want to lose that by opening a case that we are the ones escalating it
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    Scott_xP said:

Far too small for that.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051
    Morning everyone. Brighter and dryer here than the BBC says it ought to be!

Inclined to agree with Dr F; we really don't want nuclear weapons flying about and NATO vs Russia would inevitably lead to that.
    pigeon said:

Sandpit said:

On that topic, Samsung and Panasonic would appear to be amongst the latest major corporations in the democratic world to have ceased shipments to Russia. There'll doubtless be plenty of smuggled goodies still to be enjoyed by the elite in Russia, but the middle class (or that portion of it that hasn't managed to run away) is going to be living in a recreation of the Soviet era circa 1950 before very long.
    Indeed so, the main difference being that most of those in the 1950s USSR had never experienced Western commercialism and globalism, in the way that today’s Russians have. Young Russians are just as much glued to their phones as young Westerners - at least, they were until last week.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    To answer the question in the header: A long time. Possibly into 2023.

(Assuming @Heathener doesn't get his/her (sorry not sure which it is) way, and we're not all cinders by the end of March.)
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

No way is Western Europe under threat, indeed Eastern Europe is also looking safer too, apart from East of the Dnieper, and that is a long way East.

Economic blockade (for that is what our heavy sanctions are) is a very effective, albeit slower and less dramatic, way of warfare. It was a big part of how WW1 was won, the CSA crushed and Napoleon defeated.

I must be tired this week. I spent nearly two minutes wondering what sanctions had been imposed on the Child Support Agency and why it needed to be crushed.
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

(2) Has Putin won?

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Sanctions have never collapsed a country and I don't believe that they will stop Putin pulverising Ukraine. Longer term, they will of course have a huge impact although he is already getting around some of them.
    Economic warfare is a key war winning strategy. Less spectacular than tanks but more effective.
    People are fretting about a physical nuclear war while ignoring the effective FINANCIAL nuclear war the West has started - I’m not talking about a headcount of low level apparatchiks frozen out of the EU, but crippling The Russian Central bank and negating the usefulness of Russia’s reserves. The UK has also started a serious commercial war on Russian shipping. Felixstowe is closed to Russian shipping. Rotterdam is not, yet.

darkage said:

URGENT MESSAGE

We don't want to 'poke' Russia, do we?

And that's the problem we face. We are in a crowded bar with a drunken Begbie wannabe, who will take any provocation to start a fight.

Those who are suggesting we just move to a different pub should ask what'll happen when he's trashed the one he's in, and moves onto our new one.

Putin: an uglier Begbie.
    That’s a little harsh on Begbie.
    When you ex-wife comes out to defend you saying "We must not put Gerd on par with Hitler" then you know that you are down to your last stand.
    #Schröder

https://twitter.com/thorstenbenner/status/1499866397056413698?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379

Lady's and Gentlemen, boys & girls, it is time saddle up for another installment of the "Mud and Truck Maintenance in Ukraine" feed.

And this one will be a doozy, because we are talking about Russian truck refueling in the 64km column north of Kyiv. 🧵
    1/

No matter what kind of fuel conservation techniques they engaged in. The 1st 17km or so of that 64 km Russian Army column is out of fuel.

They planned a 3-day operation which is in its 8th day.

And given the temperatures and radio use, those vehicles have dead batteries.

The Russians have formed the world's longest POW camp. And the Ukrainians don't have to feed it.

https://twitter.com/trenttelenko/status/1499894935209795594?s=21

It's a view, and I'd love it to be true. But who is Trent Telenko and why should I place any value in his judgement? He's a retired US Civil servant who can't spell 'ladies'.

Still, if he turn's out to be right, kudo's to him! ;-)
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited March 2022
    Savanta ComRes have finally published their detailed tables (how they are not kicked out of the BPC for persistent breach of the rules escapes me).

It transpires that it was a fantastic poll for Labour, especially Scottish Labour.

England:

Lab 45%
    Con 38%
    LD 9%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 3%

Scotland:

SNP 44%
    Lab 28%
    Con 17%
    LD 10%
    Grn 2%
    Ref -

Wales:

Lab 42%
    Con 23%
    PC 16%
    LD 10%
    Ref 5%
    Grn 3%

(Savanta ComRes; 25-29 February; 2,208)

But, rather oddly, if you pump those Scottish numbers into Baxter, it is not Scottish Labour who are the big winners, but rather the Tories and Lib Dems who lose big time:

SNP 56 seats (+8)
    Lab 1 seat (nc)
    Con 0 seats (-6)
    LD 0 seats (-2)

(New boundaries: only 57 seats.)
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,781
    Ukraine continues to voice frustration at lack of anti-aircraft support from West. They also say German weaponry arrived rusty and in non-usable condition. “We believe it was direct sabotage of political decision and must be investigated,” says CDS, a think tank connected w MoD
    https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1499991645298774020
This discussion has been closed.