Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Very Dark Horse for Johnson’s successor – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,860

ydoethur said:

Scotland Yard is considering whether to investigate Boris Johnson over the funding of his Downing Street flat renovation after Labour’s lawyers claimed there was a “reasonable suspicion” that he had broken anti-bribery laws.

Solicitors on behalf of Labour wrote to the Metropolitan police commissioner, Dame Cressida Dick, last week suggesting the force was “duty-bound” to begin a formal investigation.

They said the prime minister may have acted improperly by having “linked” a request for funds to cover the refurbishment works – which eventually cost at least £112,000 – with a promise to “promote a project” backed by the benefactor.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/09/met-police-considering-whether-investigate-pm-boris-johnson-downing-street-flat-refurb

Wow, that would be a bit of a game-changer, wouldn't it?
    What would it change? He's already lied and broken laws. How would this be materially different?
    The punishment for this offence is much more than a penalty charge notice.
    Yes, but he won't be punished. It's becoming painfully obvious that the Met will not touch him for anything. I'm not sure whether that's because they're cowards or because they're corrupt. But whichever it is, he's going to get away with it.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Question on the Downing Street photo. What possible reason is there for the woman to be pixelated and, indeed, is that question fully answerable?

There are actually two pixelated women - one on the right of the picture too.

I suspect the reason is that the story is the PM and the chap in the middle (whose name I don't know off hand but I believe was a fairly senior figure who has previously been named).

The women might well be much more junior figures - PAs/secretaries for example - and what would be the point plastering their faces over the papers? "PM and senior official break their own rules" is news; "secretary also in attendance" isn't - maybe they should have gone home, but they're not really responsible for the situation.
    Thinking about it, there was discussion around Gray's report about whether junior civil servants would be named or not. Perhaps it is to do with that.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2022
    ydoethur said:

I'm sorry I'll Read That Again joke, while spoofing Macbeth, 1970:

David Hatch: Scene one, the blasted Heath.

Bill Oddie: Better than the infernal Wilson.

Ha! I beat them to it, in 1968 or 1969 I wrote a spoof Shakespeare play for the school magazine, featuring Heath, Wilson, and The Fool, Thorpe:

"When shall we three meet again?"

"When the next election's lost and won"

"Where's the place?"

"Upon the Heath!"

.. etc etc
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,879
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Trying to think of another person who was Chief Whip who then became Prime Minister.

I just can't think of one.......

Could anyone possibly comment?

I'd suggest nobody. Chief Whip wasn't so important (and shouldn't be now)
    I think you're wrong if you think Chief Whip used to be a significantly less important position historically than it is now.

It just isn't the case that whips decades ago were relatively benign, Sergeant Wilson figures, who asked if MPs wouldn't mind terribly voting with the party.

The role waxes and wanes in line with majority - Julian Smith was a relatively important (and ultimately unsuccessful) Chief Whip under May because she had no majority and a huge item she couldn't get through Parliament. But it has been true that the whips office has been very important, particularly for Governments with a fragile majority, for many decades.
    It's very hard to say though isn't it? Whitelaw was the first chief whip of any prominence so far as I know and that was just about a sexist judgement that there had to be a man behind the throne.

I'd rather forgotten about Heath (thanks Ismael), but so far as I know he wasn't a prominent figure.
    Heath definitely was a prominent figure. He was credited with saving the Tories from actually splitting over Suez and one of the key players in Macmillan's succession.
    I'll bow to your superior wisdom @ydoethur.

I rather regard Heath and Wilson as the most diabolical of fools, so I've not really ever bothered investigating the truth. I have a similar gap from about 1820-1855. Admitedly I mostly have a gap from the beginning of time until today :) I do try.

Light. Not reliable back then.

Oddly as you mention Oddie, and the Goodies were simply about doing the good thing - popular I think because the government was seen as anything but doing that.

They were insanely popular at one point.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Ha! I beat them to it, in 1968 or 1969 I wrote a spoof Shakespeare play for the school magazine, featuring Heath, Wilson, and The Fool, Thorpe:

"Where's the place?"

"Upon the Heath!"

.. etc etc
    You were upon Heath? *raises eyebrows*
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scotland Yard is considering whether to investigate Boris Johnson over the funding of his Downing Street flat renovation after Labour’s lawyers claimed there was a “reasonable suspicion” that he had broken anti-bribery laws.

Solicitors on behalf of Labour wrote to the Metropolitan police commissioner, Dame Cressida Dick, last week suggesting the force was “duty-bound” to begin a formal investigation.

They said the prime minister may have acted improperly by having “linked” a request for funds to cover the refurbishment works – which eventually cost at least £112,000 – with a promise to “promote a project” backed by the benefactor.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/09/met-police-considering-whether-investigate-pm-boris-johnson-downing-street-flat-refurb

What would it change? He's already lied and broken laws. How would this be materially different?
    The punishment for this offence is much more than a penalty charge notice.
    Isn't this is a bit unlikely? I would have thought there would need to be a bit more evidence of transaction to meet the burden of proof for criminal proceedings.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Question on the Downing Street photo. What possible reason is there for the woman to be pixelated and, indeed, is that question fully answerable?

There are actually two pixelated women - one on the right of the picture too.

I suspect the reason is that the story is the PM and the chap in the middle (whose name I don't know off hand but I believe was a fairly senior figure who has previously been named).

The women might well be much more junior figures - PAs/secretaries for example - and what would be the point plastering their faces over the papers? "PM and senior official break their own rules" is news; "secretary also in attendance" isn't - maybe they should have gone home, but they're not really responsible for the situation.
    Thinking about it, there was discussion around Gray's report about whether junior civil servants would be named or not. Perhaps it is to do with that.
    Whether they should be named or not (probably they shouldn't, but that's another story) they should be disciplined.

Or to put it another way, would I have kept my job if I had behaved like that? I think not.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,138
    Legal question: if you have evidence that somebody has accepted bribes, and the police fail to prosecute, is there any way a civil case can be brought by a third party?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

If it happened, but then so would Her Majesty the Queen announcing her engagement in the Court Circular.

Lady Dick probably sounds like a transphobic smear to you, but to some it's the aspiration of a lifetime.
  • Options
    Entirely o/t - when a fishmonger sends you an email saying 15% off until midnight.... it could be 100% off, and I'd not buy!

(details slightly changed because the firm concerned isn't bad)
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Entirely o/t - when a fishmonger sends you an email saying 15% off until midnight.... it could be 100% off, and I'd not buy!

I'm sure many fell for it hook, line and sinker.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,277

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    4m
    NEW: 50 people to be sent questions by Met under Operation Hillman - aka Partygate - via email.

An impish choice to name the Operation.
  • Options

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    4m
    NEW: 50 people to be sent questions by Met under Operation Hillman - aka Partygate - via email.

Interesting name. My parents used to have a Hillman that was a bit clapped out. Something of a metaphor for the Met, or the government, or both
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Learn your plaice man :)
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

"Where's the place?"

"Upon the Heath!"

.. etc etc
    There were reports about the same time of a coastguard rescue of Jeremy Thorpe. He was winched off a small cove.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Legal question: if you have evidence that somebody has accepted bribes, and the police fail to prosecute, is there any way a civil case can be brought by a third party?

Or a private prosecution?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Oh no fish puns! These will be so rotten, they will be off the SCALE
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,353
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Made a cod of himself there
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Your pun maybe fell a bit flat there
  • Options

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

We haven't fin-ished yet.
  • Options

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    4m

Interesting name. My parents used to have a Hillman that was a bit clapped out. Something of a metaphor for the Met, or the government, or both
    Yep, those are the Rootes of the problem.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

We haven't fin-ished yet.
    Best not skate round the issue
  • Options
    I wonder what this means timing-wise. The Met say they'll send out their questionnaire to 50 people this week, and the recipients have 7 days to respond. Presumably there will then potentially be more questions, but it sounds as though things could move quite quickly now.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    4m

We shall hopefully have the opportunity to avenger series of injustices wreaked by these bastards.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    4m

We shall hopefully have the opportunity to avenger series of injustices wreaked by these bastards.
    You are a bit of an Imp
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    4m

You are a bit of an Imp
    Even when my voice is rather husky as at present.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,505
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    4m

Would any of the alternatives be an Imp-rovement?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Made a cod of himself there
    I can't be bothered with this. You'll just carp on.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    4m

Would any of the alternatives be an Imp-rovement?
    At least 14 of them...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    4m

No Sunbeam on these uplands...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    4m

It's over the far horizon.

(Are we allowed Talbot jokes as well?)
  • Options
    Adam Payne @adampayne26

New: The UK hopes the DUP walkout will prompt a "big enough" EU move on the Protocol this month

Senior government source says failing to resolve it before May election means the DUP likely won't form an Executive. "That’d put us in a very difficult place"

https://twitter.com/adampayne26/status/1491445059740651521

It's hard to avoid the conclusion that the government is actively hoping for civil breakdown and violence in NI.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

A comment from the Gray report:

. 21 In particular, No 10 Downing Street and the Cabinet Office were at the centre of the Government’s response to the pandemic. Tight knit groups of officials and advisers worked long hours under difficult conditions in buildings that could not be easily adapted as Covid secure workplaces. No 10 Downing Street and the Cabinet Office in 70 Whitehall are closely interconnected, with staff moving regularly between the two buildings as part of their daily work. The Prime Minister’s flat and the Downing Street garden are in close proximity to the offices and serve a dual office and private purpose. 22. Those challenges, however, also applied to key and frontline workers across the country who were working under equally, if not more, demanding conditions, often at risk to their own health. It is important to remember the stringency of the public health regulations in force in England over the relevant periods and that criminal sanctions were applied to many found to be in breach of them. The hardship under which citizens across the country worked, lived and sadly even died while observing the Government’s regulations and guidance rigorously are known only too well

Several aspects to this. First of all, let's face it, a lot of these people had they done no work at all throughout the pandemic would have been doing the rest of us a massive favour. On 12 days between March 2020 and July, the DfE issued five contradictory pieces of guidance before 9 in the morning. On average, they issued two pieces of advice a day. This did not make keeping the education system running any easier. The PM's office, we know find, set up a track and trace system as vast cost that has been worse than useless. So actually, it's hard to argue (unlike in the case of doctors, teachers or delivery drivers) that they couldn't have worked from home.

Secondly, any of those people, whether they worked together or not, couldn't socialise. No Christmas parties for me, or Foxy. Heck, we even switched staff meetings to Zoom when we were in the same building. So how come they get different treatment?

Whether this was a sensible law is beside the point. It was the law. They are claiming special exemption for reasons so specious even Dominic Cummings has seen through them (and we all know how bad his eyesight is). If they break their own laws, they deserve to get the shit kicked out of them by the law.

What they deserve and what the law said at the time are two very different matters.

You can only be prosecuted for breaking the law.

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Breaking: Scotland Yard is reviewing its assessment that the Christmas quiz in No 10 on December 15 2020 did not meet the threshold for criminal investigation after an image surfaced of Boris Johnson near a bottle of wine

The Metropolitan Police said in a statement: “The MPS previously assessed this event and determined that on the basis of the evidence available at that time, it did not meet the threshold for criminal investigation.

"That assessment is now being reviewed.”

https://twitter.com/BlewettSam/status/1491457301114658816

So the other parties were far worse presumably?

Is the threshold a factor how many open bottles there are in each photo?
    It’s all bollocks. These people had all been working together in the same place for months. If there was any evidence of an actual party involving politicians, with DJ and dancing, it would have been produced by now.
    You keep posting this general point.

That was not the law or the rules at the time. The rules were crystal clear. It did not matter one fuck that you had worked next to the people for days on end or not. You could not meet socially and this is what they did.
    If people from outside were invited to the “party”, then there’s a problem I agree.

But the people already in the bubble, having a social drink at their desks at the end of the day, what’s the issue?
    This.

Guidance or Law?
    Guidance.
    Then why did they prosecute people for breaking their guidance?

Or will their convictions now be annulled?
    I will check the rules shortly.

You are assuming the police know the law. If they issue a FPN and the person pays up without challenge it may not be obvious that the FPN was wrongly issued. In all the cases where there was a challenge in the early part of 2020 the CPS had to drop the prosecutions because the police had incorrectly understood the legislation.
    In December 2020 in Tier 1 the gathering needed to be reasonably necessary for work purposes if it was to meet one of the exceptions to the prohibitions on gatherings.

Whether whatever was happening at No 10 meant that it was "reasonably necessary" for work is what the finest minds of the Met will have to consider. I wouldn't place bets on any of those involved getting any of it right - either then or now.
    That's an astonishing post. You actually think there are people in the Met who have minds?

What's altogether more likely is they will declare it was, and we'll all know they're lying and things will get still worse.
    Don't be silly. You know perfectly well I was being deeply sarcastic. Honestly .....
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited February 2022
    Savanta ComRes

Lab 42% (-2)
    Con 33% (nc)
    LD 9% (nc)
    Grn 5% (+2)
  • Options

I wonder what this means timing-wise. The Met say they'll send out their questionnaire to 50 people this week, and the recipients have 7 days to respond. Presumably there will then potentially be more questions, but it sounds as though things could move quite quickly now.

Yeh, right. :lol:

They might have a report on PC Dick's desk by next Xmas.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,720
    geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

"Row breaks out after Blackpool likened to Chernobyl"

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1491459141365342211

That’s a terrible comparison.

Chernobyl’s illuminations were much better in 1986.
    I've never actually been to Blackpool, but I hear great things.
    Don't be fooled. It sucks.
    Blackpool rock gave you toothache?

The town of Blackpool is a bit grim. But the front, and the beach, are splendid. The sunsets over the Irish Sea are amongst the finest in the country. The promenade is surprisingly classy. The illuminations are fun. Enjoy it for what it is, rather than despising it for what it isn't, and it's a lovely place to be for the day.
    I've been with the family about six times in the past two years. Genuinely enjoyed myself every time.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    4m

An impish choice to name the Operation.
    Questionnaires? A short interview with relevant evidence for each interviewee in a file to be referred to as needed is the minimum I would expect.

I'm beginning to think, you know, that the police are a bit rubbish at their job.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    4m

It's over the far horizon.

(Are we allowed Talbot jokes as well?)
    Beyond the Humber?
  • Options

My eyebrows are currently in Scotland.

I fear the trustees are going to have to walk.

Capt Sir Tom Moore: Watchdog to review charity's accounts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-60319650

Quelle surprise.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,505

Adam Payne @adampayne26

New: The UK hopes the DUP walkout will prompt a "big enough" EU move on the Protocol this month

Senior government source says failing to resolve it before May election means the DUP likely won't form an Executive. "That’d put us in a very difficult place"

It's hard to avoid the conclusion that the government is actively hoping for civil breakdown and violence in NI.

That's an odd conclusion. You don't think they genuinely want the EU to move on the Protocol?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Trying to think of another person who was Chief Whip who then became Prime Minister.

I think you're wrong if you think Chief Whip used to be a significantly less important position historically than it is now.

It just isn't the case that whips decades ago were relatively benign, Sergeant Wilson figures, who asked if MPs wouldn't mind terribly voting with the party.

The role waxes and wanes in line with majority - Julian Smith was a relatively important (and ultimately unsuccessful) Chief Whip under May because she had no majority and a huge item she couldn't get through Parliament. But it has been true that the whips office has been very important, particularly for Governments with a fragile majority, for many decades.
    Lord George Bentinck, writing to his newly appointed successor the Marquis of Granby on the 11th February 1846:

'My advice to you is to appoint your own whippers in, and let them take orders from none but you.'

Granby let Derby appoint his whips instead.

Granby resigned on the 4th March 1846...
    And yet Granby has pubs named after him the length and breadth of England.
  • Options

Adam Payne @adampayne26

Might I refer you to the header. This government sacked a Minister who did his best for NI. We should - but won't - be furious at such casual indifference to good governance in a place which has rarely had it but badly needs it.
  • Options

No doubt the citizens of Blackpool are having a meltdown.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Lord George Bentinck, writing to his newly appointed successor the Marquis of Granby on the 11th February 1846:

'My advice to you is to appoint your own whippers in, and let them take orders from none but you.'

Granby let Derby appoint his whips instead.

Granby resigned on the 4th March 1846...
    And yet Granby has pubs named after him the length and breadth of England.
    Different Marquis of Granby!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Manners,_Marquess_of_Granby
  • Options
    Cookie said:

geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

The town of Blackpool is a bit grim. But the front, and the beach, are splendid. The sunsets over the Irish Sea are amongst the finest in the country. The promenade is surprisingly classy. The illuminations are fun. Enjoy it for what it is, rather than despising it for what it isn't, and it's a lovely place to be for the day.
    I've been with the family about six times in the past two years. Genuinely enjoyed myself every time.
    I have had a couple of weekends there, albeit a couple of decades ago. It is fun, but you have to enter the spirit of the place. All wear viking helmets, eat fish and chips, be a bit lairy with a few beers.
  • Options

You'll need your Big Coat in Blackpool.
  • Options

Are you suggesting they're over-reactoring?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

"Where's the place?"

"Upon the Heath!"

.. etc etc
    There were reports about the same time of a coastguard rescue of Jeremy Thorpe. He was winched off a small cove.
    Wasn't that because his hovercraft broke down? Too many eels probably.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,837
    edited February 2022
    Farooq said:

Interesting question. A first glance comment:

It may be worth looking at the tort of conspiracy if, and only if, you can show that you may have suffered loss by the actions of the other two parties.

So A trades in plastic ducks. So does B. B bribes C, a wholesale purchase of plastic ducks, to contract with B for the delivery of 400 million plastic ducks.

A, despite being wholly uninvolved may have a cause of action in conspiracy for loss of opportunity.

Not sure. There is no doubt plenty more to be said.

At the moment there isn't a route that springs to mind where the third party has no interest in the matter except a moral one. But maybe there is.

BTW when people want to litigate out of principle and not for money (as perhaps in this question) lawyers rub their hands together.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,656
    Foxy said:

Farooq said:

Or a private prosecution?
    Paging The Good Law project !
  • Options

That's the fallout to expect...
  • Options
    rpjs said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

"Where's the place?"

"Upon the Heath!"

.. etc etc
    Wasn't that because his hovercraft broke down? Too many eels probably.
    Well, one of his Liberal colleagues was member for the Isle of Ely.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,651
    Foxy said:

That's the fallout to expect...
    Certainly when one has gone critical
  • Options
    Back briefly to laptops. With thanks to the various contributions the other day have decided we're going to buy Microsoft Surface devices. A choice of laptops and convertables should do the job.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Adam Payne @adampayne26

Might I refer you to the header.
    PB has headers?
    Of mixed repute. Cyclefree's are well worth reading (like smoothy, like!). whereas there's a random nutter called TSE that mainly posts about the evils of pineapple in pineapples - poor pineapples. When you watch carefully then the Grand Wizard (@mike) shows you the glittering path to free money too, but it's gone like a wisp, and he's a fickle god-type-proprietor-person.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Adam Payne @adampayne26

PB has headers?
    Of mixed repute. Cyclefree's are well worth reading (like smoothy, like!). whereas there's a random nutter called TSE that mainly posts about the evils of pineapple in pineapples - poor pineapples. When you watch carefully then the Grand Wizard (@mike) shows you the glittering path to free money too, but it's gone like a wisp, and he's a fickle god-type-proprietor-person.

Is TSE the chap who likes Radiohead ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Adam Payne @adampayne26

PB has headers?
    Does it also have volleys ?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,334
    Taz said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Adam Payne @adampayne26

PB has headers?

Nope that's rcs1000 .

TSE's likes 70s and 80s pop....
  • Options

Savanta ComRes

Lab 42% (-2)
    Con 33% (nc)
    LD 9% (nc)
    Grn 5% (+2)

Two months, three days without a Tory lead and counting...
  • Options
    eek said:

Taz said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Adam Payne @adampayne26

PB has headers?

Nope that's rcs1000 .

90s pop as well.
  • Options

They do great Fission Chips.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,720
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

I have had a couple of weekends there, albeit a couple of decades ago. It is fun, but you have to enter the spirit of the place. All wear viking helmets, eat fish and chips, be a bit lairy with a few beers.
    Yes, though that's not the only spirit of the place. The lairy drinkers co-exist quite happily with the families, pensioners, northern soul weekenders and various oddballs.
  • Options
    eek said:

Taz said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Adam Payne @adampayne26

PB has headers?

Nope that's rcs1000 .

Ah, a kindred spirit. Can’t beat a bit of glam rock.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Adam Payne @adampayne26

PB has headers?

I think you go too far!
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,749
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

And be careful about the trousers - or chernobyl fallout.
  • Options

Adam Payne @adampayne26

Let's hope they invoke Article 16 before it gets that far. That's what it's there for after all!

All could be avoided if the EU just move significantly.
  • Options

Savanta ComRes

Lab 42% (-2)
    Con 33% (nc)
    LD 9% (nc)
    Grn 5% (+2)

Half a century without a Tory lead and counting...
  • Options

Adam Payne @adampayne26

Boris Johnson only cares about Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, though that's not the only spirit of the place. The lairy drinkers co-exist quite happily with the families, pensioners, northern soul weekenders and various oddballs.
    I was quite a bit younger then!

Northern Soul Weekenders are quite something. There is one in Ryde for the scooter festival every August.
  • Options

Adam Payne @adampayne26

They HOPE it will prompt a response? Hope??

What sort of basis for an international policy change is that? Bl**dy amateurs!
  • Options
    I see the tin hat brigade are already out in force over Starmer being confronted in public.

https://twitter.com/ruby78678013/status/1491241646738251776?s=21
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,837
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Once levelling up is complete Blackpool will be mentioned in the same breath as Venice, Machu Picchu and Florence. Naples will be called 'The Blackpool of Campania'. Etonians (Eton is now based in Accrington) will apply to Blackpool University to read classics and ancient history, alongside the gilded youth of Castleford and Featherstone. I have every faith in Boris to deliver on this.

• Options

Savanta ComRes

Lab 42% (-2)
    Con 33% (nc)
    LD 9% (nc)
    Grn 5% (+2)

Should Scotland become once again Scotland the politics will be very interesting. Small c conservatism must be a big part of the SNP vote, and the SNP will disintegrate.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Savanta ComRes

Lab 42% (-2)
    Con 33% (nc)
    LD 9% (nc)
    Grn 5% (+2)

Should Scotland become once again Scotland the politics will be very interesting. Small c conservatism must be a big part of the SNP vote, and the SNP will disintegrate.
    Bloody well hope so. Can’t wait to see the back of the SNP.
  • Options

Adam Wagner

@AdamWagner1
    Amazing to think that the prime minister may be the individual suspected of the most criminal offences relating to these gatherings

https://twitter.com/AdamWagner1/status/1491495471285772289

===

About as amazing as next door's cat's ability to sleep a lot.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,819
    2016: Boris Johnson promises higher wages as a post Brexit benefit.
    2022: Tory minister says don’t ask for a pay rise. https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1491496326021976064
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,384
    algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Once levelling up is complete Blackpool will be mentioned in the same breath as Venice, Machu Picchu and Florence. Naples will be called 'The Blackpool of Campania'. Etonians (Eton is now based in Accrington) will apply to Blackpool University to read classics and ancient history, alongside the gilded youth of Castleford and Featherstone. I have every faith in Boris to deliver on this.

And Leon will write for the chert and obsidian knappers' Gazette about the artisanal mushy peas, tempura cod and fried Peruvian red potatoes on the seafront cafes' outside tables.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,192
    edited February 2022
    Scott_xP said:

2022: Tory minister says don’t ask for a pay rise. https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1491496326021976064

As with the BoE Governor, at best these people have no real understanding of the situation of those on low and middling incomes. At worse they do, but the plight of the people is nonetheless entirely subordinate to guaranteeing the growth of their asset portfolios.

Regardless, examples of a ruling class of which we would be well rid.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,819
    Why can't we be more like Germany...

German trade stats for December 21 are out. Exports +0.9% compared to November 21, +15.6 compared to December 20. But as it's the December figures, let's do the whole year, shall we? (thread)

German exports to the EU: +17.6
    German exports to other countries: +10
    German exports to the UK: -2.6 /3

German imports from the EU: +16.8
    German imports from other countries: 17.5
    German imports from the UK: -8.5

https://twitter.com/hhesterm/status/1491506932800180226
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Northern Soul Weekenders are quite something. There is one in Ryde for the scooter festival every August.
    Mrs C has just come in with a cup of coffee.

"What's PB discussing now?"

"The merits of Blackpool holidays. They're bored with Boris Johnson."
  • Options

Omnium said:

Savanta ComRes

Lab 42% (-2)
    Con 33% (nc)
    LD 9% (nc)
    Grn 5% (+2)

Bloody well hope so. Can’t wait to see the back of the SNP.
    back of the uk, or back of the snp? what's better?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,186

Adam Payne @adampayne26

Or maybe they are hoping the Eu will live up to the deal they signed?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,777

eek said:

Taz said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Adam Payne @adampayne26

PB has headers?

Nope that's rcs1000 .

90s pop as well.
    Shudders.
  • Options

That seems a bit unkind to Chernobyl...
  • Options

I know all the critics loved Chernobyl and it was popular here, but I thought David Tennant was pretty good in Blackpool.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

I'm sure they are, what's he ever done for Blackpool?
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Scott_xP said:

As with the BoE Governor, at best these people have no real understanding of the situation of those on low and middling incomes. At worse they do, but the plight of the people is nonetheless entirely subordinate to guaranteeing the growth of their asset portfolios.

Regardless, examples of a ruling class of which we would be well rid.
    Utterly indefensible.

If the Chancellor didn't want people to ask for a payrise, he shouldn't have put up taxes so people need more money to take home the same amount.

Except he's also put up employers payroll tax too, so employers will struggle as it is let alone to meet any wage demands without putting prices up considerably.

The Chancellor has created the perfect storm in increasing two taxes on wages at the same time.
  • Options

I know all the critics loved Chernobyl and it was popular here, but I thought David Tennant was pretty good in Blackpool.
    Was he starring at the Tower Ballroom?
  • Options

My eyebrows are currently in Scotland.

I fear the trustees are going to have to walk.

Capt Sir Tom Moore: Watchdog to review charity's accounts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-60319650

Rough rule of thumb, when they start doing duvet covers of something it’s likely dodgy as fcuk.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,580
    Weird reporting on latest F1 shenanigans:

Under the title 'Formula 1: FIA aware of new Michael Masi title-decider radio messages'

but despite the title it then says

The radio transmissions are not new - they were on a video released by Formula 1 on 16 December, four days after the race - but the one from Wheatley appears to have missed general circulation in the storm that followed.

So are they new or not?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/60318052
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Well there is little point in discussing Boris since he appears to do whatever suits him and the party / country / PB can get stuffed it would seem. They certainly do not give a d*mn about NI unless it imperils their precious Brexit money-making chumocracy.

As for the header - does anyone really think that the "Conservatives" will put anyone in charge who is not an Old Boy and who has not been to Oxford?

John Major snuck through the gaps and was a surprise win. They have since changed the system to make sure that sort of thing does not happen again.

So you might as discuss Blackpool and Chernobyl.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,777
    Taz said:

I see the tin hat brigade are already out in force over Starmer being confronted in public.

https://twitter.com/ruby78678013/status/1491241646738251776?s=21

I think it is fair to say that a few loons go along way. It is Resistance GB who are claiming this is a staged false flag event.

I note the Guardian has an article about William Coleshill who heads Resistance GB, a conspiracy theory group, who was amongst those personally hassling Starmer. He has also hassled Gove and Jess Philips and for the benefit of @NerysHughes he is an ex_Tory Councillor and apparently even managed to get a selfie canvasing with Boris. The Tory's were sensible enough to throw him out of the party pretty quickly, but it shows that the nutters (unlike @NerysHughes thinks) come from all sides. Once they move onto the loony conspiracy front it really doesn't matter what their origins are, they are all as bad as one another and we shouldn't be pandering to this sort of stuff.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Wow. I take it Simon Clarke is a bitter Remoaner, as that's just torpedoed everyone's favourite reason for Brexit - lack of immigrant labour pushing up wages for the natives.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,382
    algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

Interesting question. A first glance comment:

It may be worth looking at the tort of conspiracy if, and only if, you can show that you may have suffered loss by the actions of the other two parties.

So A trades in plastic ducks. So does B. B bribes C, a wholesale purchase of plastic ducks, to contract with B for the delivery of 400 million plastic ducks.

A, despite being wholly uninvolved may have a cause of action in conspiracy for loss of opportunity.

Not sure. There is no doubt plenty more to be said.

At the moment there isn't a route that springs to mind where the third party has no interest in the matter except a moral one. But maybe there is.

BTW when people want to litigate out of principle and not for money (as perhaps in this question) lawyers rub their hands together.
    What if the taxpater believes he has suffered loss due to the tort, perhaps made non-trivial by being a repeat occurrence?
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Well there is little point in discussing Boris since he appears to do whatever suits him and the party / country / PB can get stuffed it would seem. They certainly do not give a d*mn about NI unless it imperils their precious Brexit money-making chumocracy.

As for the header - does anyone really think that the "Conservatives" will put anyone in charge who is not an Old Boy and who has not been to Oxford?

John Major snuck through the gaps and was a surprise win. They have since changed the system to make sure that sort of thing does not happen again.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it this evening, but there's often not much for the S of S for Scotland/Wales/NI/Bits (depending on the current organization) to do since devolution. This person is often not even the top dog in the relevant nation/province, even in the Tory party thereof, despite what Mr R-M seemed to think a few weeks ago. So that would downgrade Mr Smith some more in the eyes of the party, I would think. (IIRC he did have to do rather more than usual the last time the DUP ejected a toyshop from their pram. But in normal times that's the situation.)
  • Options

Was he starring at the Tower Ballroom?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackpool_(TV_series)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it this evening, but there's often not much for the S of S for Scotland/Wales/NI/Bits (depending on the current organization) to do since devolution. This person is often not even the top dog in the relevant nation/province, even in the Tory party thereof, despite what Mr R-M seemed to think a few weeks ago. So that would downgrade Mr Smith some more in the eyes of the party, I would think. (IIRC he did have to do rather more than usual the last time the DUP ejected a toyshop from their pram. But in normal times that's the situation.)
    Dunno, Alister Jack seems to have a very busy media career offering a quote for every pro BJ & Union occasion.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

I did see the post earlier that said the SoS NI was about 4th from the bottom in Cabinet Seniority. It does not surprise me in the slightest.

The DUP's resignation gamble is beginning to look about as wise as their Brexit calculation, especially since the High Court override the orders from Stormont and businesses were advised to ignore it.

And now there is no FM to allow the alteration of rules / guidance.
This discussion has been closed.