Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Let’s get this right. CON won GE2019 because of Corbyn not Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    edited January 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

I wonder if Boris has continued taking violin lessons during lockdown(s).

Always nice when travelling by rail to find buskers playing the fiddle when one is changing trains. It is super in junctions.
    Yes, but we can't talk about that.
  • Options
    I really wish Boris Johnson doesn't resign this month, it would make look like a complete numpty.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/01/16/will-boris-johnson-announce-his-resignation-before-the-end-of-january/

Fortunately my well known modest behaviour will save me from much piss taking.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,244
    eek said:

Evening all! First big customer presentation in 2 years went well, much good happening with work and I'm about to have a parmo (in Manchester...) to celebrate.

Has the pillock resigned yet?

The Parmo is a Protected geographical name - they shouldn't exist outside Teesside.
    I’ve lived in the north east for 25 plus years and never had a parmo.
  • Options

I really wish Boris Johnson doesn't resign this month, it would make look like a complete numpty.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/01/16/will-boris-johnson-announce-his-resignation-before-the-end-of-january/

Would being sacked in a VONC count as resigning?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,477
    Heathener said:

Spot on Mike. Absolutely spot on.

Meanwhile, this is starting to enter laughing stock territory. I'm not a frequenter of twitter per se but the leading trend in the UK at the moment is #Nobodytoldme

Some of the posts are very funny

Very informative. I didn’t know until today “Nobody Told Me” was a music hall song synonymous with Russian emigre Alexandra Borisova.

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    IshmaelZ said:

I wonder if Boris has continued taking violin lessons during lockdown(s).

Always nice when travelling by rail to find buskers playing the fiddle when one is changing trains. It is super in junctions.
    Absolutely.
    And if Raab becomes Acting PM, I believe it will continue to be super in junctions.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Yes.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    eek said:

Evening all! First big customer presentation in 2 years went well, much good happening with work and I'm about to have a parmo (in Manchester...) to celebrate.

The Parmo is a Protected geographical name - they shouldn't exist outside Teesside.
    Regional protection of named cuisines was an EU thing... so now any clown can do it. There is supposed to be a UK version, but it stops at Dover if it is even in place at all.
  • Options

eek said:

Regional protection of named cuisines was an EU thing... so now any clown can do it. There is supposed to be a UK version, but it stops at Dover if it is even in place at all.
    It wouldn't be in place at Dover, only in sole.
  • Options
    Taz said:
    Call Rentokil.
    The pond scum is really out of control in Hyde Park.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

This is wonderful stuff, but they need to get a move on.

Boris needs to go before any Russian invasion attempt. If nothing else, he’s so thoroughly feckless he’s a national security threat.

Imagine how ashamed you’d be if you voted for this arsehole?

Still relieved I didn't vote for Jeremy Corbyn.
    The decision to tear up my ballot paper merely improves with hindsight.
    That means you can't stake your claim to have voted for the worst Prime Minister since Lord Nor.........ever.
    PB rule I have proposed in the past: anyone saying Worst PM since Lord North has to submit a 3000 word essay to be marked by @ydoethur on the reasons for thinking Lord N was a bad PM. He hung in there for 12 years, for many of which he doubled up as CotE. He may have made a bad call over the US, but I'd take a lot of persuading that he was one half as crap as every PM since Blair.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

eek said:

I believe we kept the regional protection to some extent.

I am now in the US, and man, do I miss those regional protections. Cheese is dire.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    I'm trying to imagine what this "much worse" lockdown behaviour could possibly be. A mass orgy involving staff from all departments in Whitehall ? Using Downing Street as a brothel ?
  • Options

I'm trying to imagine what this "much worse" lockdown behaviour could possibly be. A mass orgy involving 30 staff ? Using Downing Street as a brothel ?

Perhaps there is video of him making crude sexual innuendo about Captain Tom Moore.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Applicant said:

Boris needs to go before any Russian invasion attempt. If nothing else, he’s so thoroughly feckless he’s a national security threat.

Me neither!
    Have you escaped the UK yet?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

That means you can't stake your claim to have voted for the worst Prime Minister since Lord Nor.........ever.
    PB rule I have proposed in the past: anyone saying Worst PM since Lord North has to submit a 3000 word essay to be marked by @ydoethur on the reasons for thinking Lord N was a bad PM. He hung in there for 12 years, for many of which he doubled up as CotE. He may have made a bad call over the US, but I'd take a lot of persuading that he was one half as crap as every PM since Blair.
    The British pride themselves on only having lost one war since 1603.

He was in charge at the time.

That's it, really. Whatever his other achievements, he was The Man That Lost The War.

When I drew up a list of the worst 10 PMs 13 years ago he wasn't in it.

Brown was second. I would reluctantly be forced to upgrade him to third now...
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,642
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

It wouldn't be in place at Dover, only in sole.
    Fishy...
  • Options

I'm trying to imagine what this "much worse" lockdown behaviour could possibly be. A mass orgy involving staff from all departments in Whitehall ? Using Downing Street as a brothel ?

A mass orgy?

I suppose he has embraced the True Catholic Faith, so maybe.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,971
    Alistair said:

If you had asked me what would have caused Boris Johnson's premiership ending after 30 months because of scandal, I would have assumed it was due to a Profumo style sex scandal.

Never would have thought it would have been a non sex thing.

You haven't discounted sex parties have you?
    Our very own “tricky Dicky”…… and again it’s the cover up that kills.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    Not an issue for this week but one going forward

Glen O'Hara
    @gsoh31
    One party will really worry about its Westminster prospects if there's no Boris Johnson to bash and Starmer and Labour's numbers continue to strengthen. It's the SNP.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Me neither!
    Physically, yes.

Mentally, the U.K. just provides too much popcorn fodder.

Needless to say, Boris is considered some kind of third-rate vaudeville act among the parents of my daughter’s school, though they undoubtedly swing “liberal”.
  • Options
    Taz said:
    Matt Hancock? No. But if the next Prime Minister were to recall Hancock to the Cabinet, he would be in with a shout for the one after.
  • Options
    eek said:

Glen O'Hara
    @gsoh31
    One party will really worry about its Westminster prospects if there's no Boris Johnson to bash and Starmer and Labour's numbers continue to strengthen. It's the SNP.

Hopecasting.

Keir hasn’t landed a dent on the SNP yet.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Me neither!
    Physically, yes.

Mentally, the U.K. just provides too much popcorn fodder.

Needless to say, Boris is considered some kind of third-rate vaudeville act among the parents of my daughter’s school, though they undoubtedly swing “liberal”.
    He would fit right in given how liberal he is with his swinging.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Extraordinary though this may seem:

He's still not as bad as Lord Goderich.
    A shorter tenure through a collapsed coalition, but was he really such an enormous nincompoop as Boris Johnson? Asking for a friend.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,642

eek said:

Mutual recognition between UK/EU is in the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement - Protected Geographical Indications afaics:

This brief article aims to answer some questions about the use of Protected Geographical Indications following the provisional coming into force of the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement (TCA) on 1 January 2021.

From 1 January 2021 the names of UK agrifood products with an existing EU “geographical indication” (GI) registration will continue to be protected in the EU, in the same way as any other registered third country product (e.g. from China or Costa Rica). It will also be protected in the UK, and in third countries where a UK continuity agreement includes such protection e.g. Switzerland.

Under the terms of the UK/EU Withdrawal Agreement the UK Government is bound to recognise and give protection to EU registrations in place on 31 December 2020.

https://www.roythorne.co.uk/site/blog/food-blog/EU_UK_TCA_Protected_Geographical_Indications#:~:text=From 1 January 2021 the,from China or Costa Rica).
  • Options
    edited January 2022

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

A shorter tenure through a collapsed coalition, but was he really such an enormous nincompoop as Boris Johnson? Asking for a friend.
    Yes.

Edit - in fairness to Goderich, he was a successful CoE. But as PM, to quote Michael Bentley, 'for six months, King George became the king he had always dreamed of being, in control of events and able to bully his ministers. The sole noteworthy point of Goderich's abject performance was the temporary revival it afforded to the power of the crown.'
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365

I still stand by this.

I'm going to throw this out there.

Boris & Carrie Johnson were married in May 2021, when there were restrictions in place on wedding/party sizes.

Given what we know, are they like to have restriction complying parties in the run up to the wedding and afterwards?

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/1481919877891997698

The whole marriage thing was really weird. They put it off and off and off, and then married.
    The safest heuristic is that Boris fucked up somehow and marriage was the only option remaining.
    The obvious explanation is that it became obvious to Carrie that she would need to divorce Boris in the future, or at least have the option to, and it was obvious to Boris that she knew it too, and he was willing to pay that future price to avoid short-term difficulty.
  • Options
    REgarding the BBC licence fee

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/17365759/boris-johnson-bbc-licence-fee-scrap/

Even the Sun is reporting that the BBC are using the Red Arrows approach - 5 live, BBC 2 and BBC 4 are all lined up for the chop as £289m needs to be saved.
  • Options

eek said:

Glen O'Hara
    @gsoh31

Hopecasting.

Keir hasn’t landed a dent on the SNP yet.
    Probably right but I suspect it will be hard for the SNP to continue to pin all blame on Westminster when Boris isn't there smirking.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Yes.
    No. The answer is No.

But there must be an outside chance he resigns in morning to avoid another PMQ.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

If you had asked me what would have caused Boris Johnson's premiership ending after 30 months because of scandal, I would have assumed it was due to a Profumo style sex scandal.

Never would have thought it would have been a non sex thing.

Surely there it still time for a new mistress to be discovered?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Yes.
    No. The answer is No.

But there must be an outside chance he resigns in morning to avoid another PMQ.
    I misread that as ‘resigns in mourning.’ Still worked…
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Me neither!
    Yeah, I didn't feel I could wash my hands of the decision and leave it to everyone else. After all, Boris was just a worse version of the typical politician but Corbyn was a whole different kind of wrongness.
  • Options

eek said:

I am now in the US, and man, do I miss those regional protections. Cheese is dire.
    When I first visited the US in 1978 there were two types of cheese available: "American" (which looked and tasted like soap) and "Swiss" (which was American with holes in it).
  • Options
    Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Me neither!
    Yeah, I didn't feel I could wash my hands of the decision and leave it to everyone else. After all, Boris was just a worse version of the typical politician but Corbyn was a whole different kind of wrongness.
    Both equally unfit for office, as far as I am concerned. Just “unfit” on different dimensions.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

That's it, really. Whatever his other achievements, he was The Man That Lost The War.

In the days when generals not PMs won or lost wars. You didn't get Blenheim Palace or Stratfield Saye by sitting in Downing Street
  • Options
    Was it not the case that, by the letter of the law, it was illegal for some absurdly long period to have hugs, or any other intimate contact, with people not in your household?

I suppose there's a possibility that Boris Johnson may have broken different rules in addition to the no parties one.
  • Options

eek said:

When I first visited the US in 1978 there were two types of cheese available: "American" (which looked and tasted like soap) and "Swiss" (which was American with holes in it).
    Hasn’t changed much.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    edited January 2022
    https://twitter.com/christiancalgie/status/1483505682095783939?cxt=HHwWhoC-udqjvJYpAAAA

"Some unexpected MPs confessing to me that they’ve submitted their letters. May have to upgrade my guess…"

"I’m not sure the government whips know much"

"The failure to replace Spencer at the reshuffle may prove one of the PM’s biggest mistakes…"

Well that's fairly blunt. Given the massive failure by the whips over Plan B, its' not hard to believe that they're clueless.
  • Options

eek said:

Hasn’t changed much.
    Get thee to Zabars.
  • Options
    There are stepmoms on Pornhub less fucked than Boris Johnson right now.

Minister: “We think some of the whips have flipped”.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1483514495150526475
  • Options
    On topic. I also think that’s a fantastic graph in header.

It rings true to what I heard anecdotally, but in a slightly different way than choice between “Brexit Boris” or the “Terrorist Sympathiser”. Those are actual phrases I heard from my peer group who voted Labour in 2015 and 2017. Snookie for example voted Labour in 15 and 17 and green in 19. Other people voted Labour 15 and 17 and not at all in 19. So part of Boris landslide imo not Lab to Tory switch but stay away or at home votes Labour would have got if it wasn’t Corbyn putting them off.

I would like Big John Knowles to explain what happened between 17 and 19 to Labour support. Not being funny, truthfully like to hear it. But like Boris, did Corbyn do it to himself? The bad response to Salisbury Poison, bad response to anti Israeli becoming anti Semitic element? A clean slate in many voters eyes in 17, didn’t tack to centre enough and unit party enough? All those. Things and more?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,557
    edited January 2022
    It does look like Boris is finished, with even virtually all PB Tories calling for his scalp. However, I think getting rid of him is a necessary but not sufficient condition for a revival in Tory fortunes.

I reckon that the presumption that the Tories will recover under a new leader, probably Sunak, is, well, presumptuous. Boris has not just tarnished himself; he has tarnished the brand, including all the sycophants who worshipped him despite knowing that he was nothing more than a lovable (sic) rogue - until they didn't worship him any more.

Similarly, the presumption that Starmer would quietly prefer Boris to hang on, is I think, wrong. Boris going would be a significant scalp for Starmer, despite the fact that he will have played very little part in his downfall - it's still a victory for the opposition to remove a sitting PM, whatever the reasons.

And whoever replaces him won't have the same Heineken appeal to working class voters that Boris had, baffling though that appeal may have been. On balance, I reckon Starmer will be more than happy to see the back of Boris.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

In the days when generals not PMs won or lost wars. You didn't get Blenheim Palace or Stratfield Saye by sitting in Downing Street
    Not true. Pitt the Elder, later Earl of Chatham was lionised for his leadership in the Seven Years' War, which was (wrongly) credited by the public with winning the war for Britain. As late as 1919, journalists could say 'Lloyd George's name stands with Chatham, and with Chatham alone, on the list of our greatest war leaders' and expect everyone to know what they were talking about.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

eek said:

Hasn’t changed much.
    This was also true for chocolate, but a lot of small-scale producers have changed that.

I suspect that if you look for it, you'll find some great cheese somewhere in New York.

And, much as I like cheese, there will be compensations. Proper bagels for starters.

Edit: I might try to visit these people of I'm ever in NYC again. https://saxelbycheese.com/
  • Options

eek said:

Hasn’t changed much.

eek said:

Hasn’t changed much.
    Get thee to Zabars.
    I live one or two blocks away. I admit I have not been there yet. I will write a proper post on the US food offer at some stage but need to do more research…
  • Options

54 Shades of Grey?
  • Options
    Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Me neither!
    Other way round? Whatever you think of Corbyn, Boris is not typical of politicians. He is, as the lawyers say, sui generis. Most MPs are decent, hard working, well-intentioned and honest, for all that you or I might disagree with their politics or question their competence. Boris is NOTA. There is no point cataloguing his sins and shortcomings. There will be time enough for that once he has resigned or retired.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Yes.

Edit - in fairness to Goderich, he was a successful CoE. But as PM, to quote Michael Bentley, 'for six months, King George became the king he had always dreamed of being, in control of events and able to bully his ministers. The sole noteworthy point of Goderich's abject performance was the temporary revival it afforded to the power of the crown.'
    Would you stretch to calling it as a no score draw? Goderich and Johnson sharing the spoils. Prorugation of Parliament has to put him in with a shout.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731

- “ Most of them are a load of fucking nobodies. It's nuts.”

A member of the Cabinet, describing Redwall Con MPs. And last week it was Gove and Rees-Mogg slagging off SCon Leader Douglas Ross.

What is it with these over-privileged, snobby southern Tories? They need a couple of decades in opposition to learn a little respect and manners.

They need to be taught what happens when you no longer command a parliamentary majority, thanks to the nobodies.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,079

The whips have
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    ….
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Yes.

Would you stretch to calling it as a no score draw? Goderich and Johnson sharing the spoils. Prorugation of Parliament has to put him in with a shout.
    Goderich never even met Parliament, despite being in office for five months.
  • Options

The whips have cracked?

Boris must be creaming himself
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Pleased for you @MattW
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

The whips have flipped?

If some of the SPADs are mad we have ourselves a Dr. Seuss book.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Kitty Donaldson
    @kitty_donaldson
    ·
    27m
    Today has been pretty hectic.

We thought there was a lull in support ebbing away from the PM (and that MPs would wait for Sue Gray’s report) but things seem to have sped up.

https://twitter.com/kitty_donaldson/status/1483514669084073984

Kitty Donaldson
    @kitty_donaldson
    ·
    28m
    Replying to
    @kitty_donaldson
    FWIW I don’t think we’re anywhere near 54 letters and there is some v excitable briefing going on but the clip done earlier today by @BethRigby seems to have unleashed something

Another interesting point below that tweet - if it was work, there should have been a Covid risk assessment done for it. As you had to with everything Covid related when meeting in person.

If that wasn't done, it's a potential breach of the regs anyway.
    But nobody told me that.

What gets me is, there's that letter that's been floating around for ever from Eton to his dad saying that he is a conceited self regarding cunt, but after that they made him head boy*. WTAF is that about? If he thought he could do whatever TF he liked with impunity, and until a couple of days ago he did, you can see why he thought it.

* Head boy is a profoundly middle class concept. Captain of Agars or some such is the Eton equiv.
    Agars ?
    The crud in Petri dishes ?
  • Options

It does look like Boris is finished, with even virtually all PB Tories calling for his scalp. However, I think getting rid of him is a necessary but not sufficient condition for a revival in Tory fortunes.

I reckon that the presumption that the Tories will recover under a new leader, probably Sunak, is, well, presumptuous. Boris has not just tarnished himself; he has tarnished the brand, including all the sycophants who worshipped him despite knowing that he was nothing more than a lovable (sic) rogue - until they didn't worship him any more.

Similarly, the presumption that Starmer would quietly prefer Boris to hang on, is I think, wrong. Boris going would be a significant scalp for Starmer, despite the fact that he will have played very little part in his downfall - it's still a victory for the opposition to remove a sitting PM, whatever the reasons.

Corbyn didn't get any credit for outlasting Cameron and May, though.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Yes.

A bit like not attending any Cobra meetings just prior to a pandemic?
  • Options
    Even government whips acknowledging that a confidence vote in Boris Johnson is a question of if not when this evening…

One admits: “We’re not at 54 letters yet. But there are definitely 54 letters out there.”

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1483534414818725888
  • Options

Until we hear of whips' resignations, I'm inclined to take that with a pinch of salt.
  • Options
    Is there a Cabinet tomorrow before PMQs?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Yes.

Parliament was prorogued when he was appointed, and not recalled until after he resigned!
  • Options

Even government whips acknowledging that a confidence vote in Boris Johnson is a question of if not when this evening…

One admits: “We’re not at 54 letters yet. But there are definitely 54 letters out there.”

What a strange statement. are they currently flying by owl or something to Graham Brady?
  • Options

Unsurprising given they were dropped in it over Paterson
  • Options

Until we hear of whips' resignations, I'm inclined to take that with a pinch of salt.
    There must be plenty of resignation among them right now.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Yes.

Parliament was prorogued when he was appointed, and not recalled until after he resigned!
    In that case, did he replace Canning or Boris Johnson?

Give me a break, I am really trying here ,(really trying!)
  • Options

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Me neither!
    Other way round? Whatever you think of Corbyn, Boris is not typical of politicians. He is, as the lawyers say, sui generis.
    No, not at all. Corbyn at the very least is uncomfortable with his country (and probably actively hates it), and at the very least benefitted from the existence in his party of a seam of anti-semitism (and probably is himself an anti-semite and actively mined that seam).

And that's without the fact that he led a party which certainly would have overturned the biggest democratic vote in British history, thus forever calling into question the point of every future vote.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited January 2022

What a strange statement. are they currently flying by owl or something to Graham Brady?
    I think there are 25 letters already submitted and maybe 40 to go in the moment anything new/bad emerges, plus maybe few dozen more if the Gray report is bad.
  • Options

The whips have cracked?

Boris must be creaming himself
    There's a very apposite Divine Comedy song;

Crack goes the whip,
    And if someone should tell,
    Bang goes the knighthood
    As well
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    The Tories won most seats in 2019 as they did in 2017 because of Corbyn yes.

The Tories only won a majority of 80 in 2019 however because of redwall voters voting to get Brexit done and for Boris.

Even the chart shows plenty of voters in 2019 did not vote Labour because of its stance on Brexit, whether Leavers in the redwall voting Tory or Remainers in London voting LD.
  • Options

I think there are 25 letters already submitted and maybe 40 to go in the moment anything new/bad emerges, plus maybe few dozen more if the Grey report is bad.
    I have now sent my third email to Alun Cairns demanding he grows a pair and writes his letter.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    ydoethur said:

Sunday Times reported that whips were on a "go slow" thanks to being blamed by Johnson for messing up the Pateson affair.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Not true. Pitt the Elder, later Earl of Chatham was lionised for his leadership in the Seven Years' War, which was (wrongly) credited by the public with winning the war for Britain. As late as 1919, journalists could say 'Lloyd George's name stands with Chatham, and with Chatham alone, on the list of our greatest war leaders' and expect everyone to know what they were talking about.
    So where is Chatham Palace?
  • Options

Supposedly it was today - if the Sun article a linked to earlier is correct.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,053
    edited January 2022
    ydoethur said:

54 Shades of Gray?
    Bravo. Very good.

(Although I’ve fixed the spelling FY)
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Me neither!
    Other way round? Whatever you think of Corbyn, Boris is not typical of politicians. He is, as the lawyers say, sui generis.
    No, not at all. Corbyn at the very least is uncomfortable with his country (and probably actively hates it), and at the very least benefitted from the existence in his party of a seam of anti-semitism (and probably is himself an anti-semite and actively mined that seam).

And that's without the fact that he led a party which certainly would have overturned the biggest democratic vote in British history, thus forever calling into question the point of every future vote.
    He wasn't an anti-semite personally himself, I wouldn't say, just very naive. As for democracy and Brexit, the no-deal possibility, which was a very real one before Grieve and others who have since been villified intervened, would have been an even greater democratic travesty. As it is, the deal that was signed does not at all correspond to what was offered in the referendum, which raises just as significant democratic questions, to my mind.

However, we've all been through all this a thousand times on here, and only single market rather than full rejoining looks a realistic possibility any time soon, so probably best to move on, for now.
  • Options

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Me neither!
    Other way round? Whatever you think of Corbyn, Boris is not typical of politicians. He is, as the lawyers say, sui generis. Most MPs are decent, hard working, well-intentioned and honest, for all that you or I might disagree with their politics or question their competence. Boris is NOTA. There is no point cataloguing his sins and shortcomings. There will be time enough for that once he has resigned or retired.
    A sage once observed that 90 percent of politicians give the rest a bad reputation.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Tories won most seats in 2019 as they did in 2017 because of Corbyn yes.

The Tories only won a majority of 80 in 2019 however because of redwall voters voting to get Brexit done and for Boris.

Even the chart shows plenty of voters in 2019 did not vote Labour because of its stance on Brexit, whether Leavers in the redwall voting Tory or Remainers in London voting LD.

We haven't agreed with much over the last ten days, but Hartlepool probably proves your point.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Sunday Times reported that whips were on a "go slow" thanks to being blamed by Johnson for messing up the Pateson affair.
    Critical juncture by definition, when Tory whips begin NOT working on behalf a Tory PM or LOTO.

At least based on experience re: more than one of Boris Johnson's predecessors.

• Options
    eek said:

It is hard to see that Boris can resign without telling Cabinet first, so we can probably rule that out then.
  • Options

eek said:

It is hard to see that Boris can resign without telling Cabinet first, so we can probably rule that out then.
    Is it - I can see Boris doing just that. Heck I could imagine Boris randomly announcing it half way through PMQs almost without realising he is doing it.
  • Options

I think there are 25 letters already submitted and maybe 40 to go in the moment anything new/bad emerges, plus maybe few dozen more if the Gray report is bad.
    GRAY

GIRL REMOVES AILING YOB

G

R

A

Y
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Yes.

In that case, did he replace Canning or Boris Johnson?

Give me a break, I am really trying here ,(really trying!)
    Canning.
  • Options
    eek said:

Though if necessary, a short (one item) meeting could surely he arranged, a la 1990.

And given that BoJo needs answers as cunning as a fox appointed Regius Professor of Cunning, and he doesn't have those answers, what should he do?

If I were his personal braincare specialist, I'd be advising him that the game is up.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Is it - I can see Boris doing just that. Heck I could imagine Boris randomly announcing it half way through PMQs almost without realising he is doing it.
    And he might have told them today. Or I am sure there's a cabinet whatsapp.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992

ydoethur said:

Is there any single faction Boris hasn't attempted to blame for his own manifest failings?
    And is he ever actually surprised when they turn against him?
    The psychology is darkly fascinating.
  • Options
    eek said:

Lovingly made by Smoggies for the betterment of Mancunians
  • Options

GRAY

GIRL REMOVES AILING YOB

G

R

A

Y
    Speaking of which, I'm disappointed only you and @Stuartinromford worked out the awesomeness of that pun on whips, 54 and Grey/Gray. I was quite pleased with that one, but obviously I was far too subtle.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

eek said:

Did you end up in NYC? Avoid the main supermarkets (Gristides, Key Markets etc) and try Trader Joe's or Whole Foods instead. Even our little C-Town out here in the 'burbs has an adequate selection of imported cheese.

And for British food generally, there's Myers of Keswick and Tea and Sympathy in the West Village. Or, if you don't mind venturing up to the North Bronx, the Irish shops in Woodlawn have all the same stuff as the UK but cheaper than the WV shops.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

eek said:

And he might have told them today. Or I am sure there's a cabinet whatsapp.
    I'm sure there isn't, one of this lot would have leaked every message by now.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Spot on Mike. Absolutely spot on.

Meanwhile, this is starting to enter laughing stock territory. I'm not a frequenter of twitter per se but the leading trend in the UK at the moment is #Nobodytoldme

Some of the posts are very funny

Very informative. I didn’t know until today “Nobody Told Me” was a music hall song synonymous with Russian emigre Alexandra Borisova.

I got it from here, to be fair I shouldn’t have all the likes but whoever created it in first place.

https://twitter.com/LissaKEvans/status/1483519616454479873
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Johnson is only the worst PM since Cameron.
  • Options

Whips quitting to take you down, down to funky town, Choo fucking Choo - that I get.

Whips flipping but staying whips to undermine the government from the inside?

That's piss funny.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

GRAY

GIRL REMOVES AILING YOB

G

R

A

Y
    Speaking of which, I'm disappointed only you and @Stuartinromford worked out the awesomeness of that pun on whips, 54 and Grey/Gray. I was quite pleased with that one, but obviously I was far too subtle.
    Nah, I made the first Fifty Shades of Grey political pun back in 2017.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/02/21/fifty-shades-of-grey-voters-corbyns-punishing-polling-with-older-voters/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

GRAY

GIRL REMOVES AILING YOB

G

R

A

Y
    It was the elegant subtlety that appealed.
This discussion has been closed.