Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Old Bexley & Sidcup: The betting overstates CON chances – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Grrrr. Been 'gubbed' by PaddyPower as I was winning too much money from them it seems.

It really pisses me off how much the bookies advertise on TV saying catchphrases like "bet responsibly" but anyone who does bet responsibly and wins their bets is gubbed and anyone who is a problem gambler losing lots is encouraged to bet even more.

I get gubbed by bet365 who live up to their nickname of Bet£3.65
    Where as I hear if you speak Chinese and appear to be based in the Far East they will happily take £365k bets....
    I remember when the stories of the footballers placing thousands of bets were doing the rounds.
    How on earth did they get that many bets on !?! was the first question I asked.
    Bookies must love footballers accounts.
    Oh they love the suckers. A better question is how does Tony Bloom still get billions of quids of bets on...i reckon the operation on placing the bets must be as complicated as the models he uses to predict the games.
  • Options

Leon said:

OK I’m gonna narrow it down massively. Ten best films is insane, like saying “ten best books” or ten best “places”

Ten best British films made with a predominantly British cast in Britain with a British theme and location

Withnail and I
    WickerMan
    Monty Python Holy Grail
    Oliver!
    Shaun of the Dead
    Trainspotting
    Four Weddings
    Kes
    Human Traffic
    A Matter of Life and Death

The Railway Children
    Gregory's Girl
    Trainspotting
    My Beautiful Launderette
    Educating Rita*
    Rebecca
    The 39 Steps
    Atonement
    Cathy Come Home
    In the Name of the Father

*filmed in Dublin but set in the UK
    Pedant: Cathy Come Home was a television play.

I'd add to the British list:-
    Chariots of Fire
    Angels One Five (actually a lot of British war films are probably now dismissed as hack propaganda jobs but are often imo a lot better than that)
    American Werewolf in London
    Python's Meaning of Life (or is that cheating as it is arguably a string of sketches?)

Not sure about The King's Speech but there were some heartwarming stories of it helping stammerers. Likewise Reach for the Sky with amputees.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

OK I’m gonna narrow it down massively. Ten best films is insane, like saying “ten best books” or ten best “places”

Ten best British films made with a predominantly British cast in Britain with a British theme and location

Withnail and I
    WickerMan
    Monty Python Holy Grail
    Oliver!
    Shaun of the Dead
    Trainspotting
    Four Weddings
    Kes
    Human Traffic

War Requiem
    Kes
    Life of Brian
    Caravaggio
    In Which They Serve
    Dambusters
    L&D of Colonel Blimp
    Brief Encounter
    Trainspotting
    Four Lions
    Cool. Good to see Jarman cited. One of the greats of British Cinema, who launched the careers of Sandy Powell, Nigel Terry and Tilda Swindon among others. Last of England is a measure of his genius, and though almost totally unknown, The Angelic Conversation is a beautiful film.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173
    Leon said:

I like films Steve Coogan is in as there is always a bit of Alan Partridge in his characters but 24 hour Party People and the Look of Love are his best.

BTW Steve Coogan does the best Neil Kinnock impression

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY7aqvR9oD0

That is an astoundingly good impression. Phenomenal

By many accounts Coogan is an arse (like his persona in the various TRIPS) but my god, he is talented
    I suspect Coogan personifies everything you detest about middle class woke liberal Labour luvvies.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,985

I don’t know if I have seen every list, but Spartacus is missing? Nothing by David Lynch?

And what is not to enjoy with multi dimensional, great script, well acted, great photography, The English Patient?

I'm afraid I'm with Elaine Benes on this:

The English Patient is one of the worst movies ever made.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,938
    FT UK: US delays deal to lift Trump era steel tariffs over N Ireland fears #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1466150633216561165/photo/1

Brexit fears hold back US-UK trade deal https://on.ft.com/3pmaCuT
  • Options
    Nobody mentioned Peppa Pig: The Golden Boots?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Withnail and I
    WickerMan
    Monty Python Holy Grail
    Oliver!
    Shaun of the Dead
    Trainspotting
    Four Weddings
    Kes
    Human Traffic

War Requiem
    Kes
    Life of Brian
    Caravaggio
    In Which They Serve
    Dambusters
    L&D of Colonel Blimp
    Brief Encounter
    Trainspotting
    Four Lions
    The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp is a marvellous film and great call.
  • Options

Leon said:

Withnail and I
    WickerMan
    Monty Python Holy Grail
    Oliver!
    Shaun of the Dead
    Trainspotting
    Four Weddings
    Kes
    Human Traffic

The Railway Children
    Gregory's Girl
    Trainspotting
    My Beautiful Launderette
    Educating Rita*
    Rebecca
    The 39 Steps
    Atonement
    Cathy Come Home
    In the Name of the Father

*filmed in Dublin but set in the UK
    Pedant: Cathy Come Home was a television play.

I'd add to the British list:-
    Chariots of Fire
    Angels One Five (actually a lot of British war films are probably now dismissed as hack propaganda jobs but are often imo a lot better than that)
    American Werewolf in London
    Python's Meaning of Life (or is that cheating as it is arguably a string of sketches?)

Not sure about The King's Speech but there were some heartwarming stories of it helping stammerers. Likewise Reach for the Sky with amputees.
    I think for its brutal honesty Filth deserves a mention
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

Top 10 NZ films (niche post)

Once Were Warriors
    Boy
    The Piano
    Angel At My Table
    In My Father’s Den
    Heavenly Creatures
    Dark Horse
    The Breaker-Upperers
    What We Do In The Shadows
    Sleeping Dogs

Goodbye Pork Pie? In the best traditions of an American road movie.
    Embarrassed to say I have not seen.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Leon said:

I like films Steve Coogan is in as there is always a bit of Alan Partridge in his characters but 24 hour Party People and the Look of Love are his best.

BTW Steve Coogan does the best Neil Kinnock impression

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY7aqvR9oD0

That is an astoundingly good impression. Phenomenal

By many accounts Coogan is an arse (like his persona in the various TRIPS) but my god, he is talented
    I suspect Coogan personifies everything you detest about middle class woke liberal Labour luvvies.
    He is properly left wing. He was just about the only celeb that stuck by Jezza to the very end. There's a bit in series 2 of The Trip where he goes off on a rant about big pharma. Made me wonder if he has got the vaccine.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    Can’t believe no one has Brazil in their British film list.
    I’d have it near the top.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Is there any genuine chance, given the great number of testimonies from doctors that most omicron cases are mild/asymptomatic, that omicron is indeed a largely mild variant? I realise such wishful thinking is frowned upon on PB. But should we rule it out?

Hypothesis:

The Omicron variant thorns out to be very transitable, but also very milled, compared to other variants, but still gives a good level of immunity to stop/reduce the risk of catching one of the other variants, and as such works as a free booster to people who have already been vaccinated, and a in involuntary vaccine for those who have not been vaccinated yet.

Evidence: Governments, collectively have so far been bad at every stage of this Pandemic, so that the only way they could maintain that track record would be to stop international travel and slow down the speared of the variant that's going to end the whole thing.

This may be both too cynical and too optimistic at the same time, but who knows!!!!!!!!

Do I get points if this terns out to be correct?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,599
    Intriguing suggestion that Omicron may be a zoonotic spillover. In other words, an animal caught original Covid off humans, it then circulated in the animal population for a year and a half, before re-infecting humans in mutated form. Has happened before (remember the Danish mink variant).

https://twitter.com/K_G_Andersen/status/1465822536629821442
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    rcs1000 said:

I don’t know if I have seen every list, but Spartacus is missing? Nothing by David Lynch?

And what is not to enjoy with multi dimensional, great script, well acted, great photography, The English Patient?

😦 How?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    TimS said:

Intriguing suggestion that Omicron may be a zoonotic spillover. In other words, an animal caught original Covid off humans, it then circulated in the animal population for a year and a half, before re-infecting humans in mutated form. Has happened before (remember the Danish mink variant).

what animal?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

😦 How?
    Not enough Radiohead...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Withnail and I
    WickerMan
    Monty Python Holy Grail
    Oliver!
    Shaun of the Dead
    Trainspotting
    Four Weddings
    Kes
    Human Traffic

War Requiem
    Kes
    Life of Brian
    Caravaggio
    In Which They Serve
    Dambusters
    L&D of Colonel Blimp
    Brief Encounter
    Trainspotting
    Four Lions
    Cool. Good to see Jarman cited. One of the greats of British Cinema, who launched the careers of Sandy Powell, Nigel Terry and Tilda Swindon among others. Last of England is a measure of his genius, and though almost totally unknown, The Angelic Conversation is a beautiful film.
    I of course forgot Terence Davies who could fill the top ten on his own.
  • Options

Once Were Warriors
    Boy
    The Piano
    Angel At My Table
    In My Father’s Den
    Heavenly Creatures
    Dark Horse
    The Breaker-Upperers
    Sleeping Dogs

No love for Lord of the Rings?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2021
    Nigelb said:

Yes indeed. An artistic triumph, but what it's warning about, in terms of the dangers of a slide into authoritarianism, is also still very relevant, both at home and abroad.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    geoffw said:

Is there any genuine chance, given the great number of testimonies from doctors that most omicron cases are mild/asymptomatic, that omicron is indeed a largely mild variant? I realise such wishful thinking is frowned upon on PB. But should we rule it out?

I do that wishful thinking thing too. And moreover if it is mild/asymptomatic and drives out the dreaded delta, wouldn't it be very welcome?
    According to a DHSC answer to Steve Baker MP in July, the IFR of Delta is ~0.1%. (aka flu.) Why it deserved any attention after summer 2021 is beyond me.

It'll be like a common cold in the foreseeable future. Corona and flu viruses have always mutated to become more infectious and less deadly. It's called natural selection.
  • Options

Once Were Warriors
    Boy
    The Piano
    Angel At My Table
    In My Father’s Den
    Heavenly Creatures
    Dark Horse
    The Breaker-Upperers
    Sleeping Dogs

1. No
    2. Not NZ “location” and “theme”
    3. No
  • Options

Nobody else has included, or commented on my inclusion of, Dazed And Confused.

I love the movie and the fact that it introduced me to WAR

I have Dazed and Confused on Blu-Ray, though no player. It is of course one of any number of American coming of age films with added rock and roll. Are there any similar British films? Gregory's Girl at a push. Even the Israelis have Lemon Popsicle, which is American Grafitti in Hebrew with a sad ending.
  • Options
    On the subject of British films, what about Peter Greenaway? The Draftsman’s Contract is a particular favourite, if only for the amazing soundtrack.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932

Re: movies, am nominating "Stagecoach" (1939) directed by John Ford, classic western staring John Wayne and other great actors, and featuring Yakima Canute doing some amazing, ground-breaking stunt work.

Also "UHF" (1989) from the wild mind of Weird Al Yankovic.

I will go with Stagecoach as well. I would also add She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and Fort Apache. In fact most of my favourite films are black and white. The one I watch repeatedly is Top Hat - the dancing of course but also the witty dialogue and the over the top acting from the supporting actors.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981

Nobody mentioned Peppa Pig: The Golden Boots?

That classic transcends such pettifogging lists. Spoken of only in hushed tones.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Grrrr. Been 'gubbed' by PaddyPower as I was winning too much money from them it seems.

It really pisses me off how much the bookies advertise on TV saying catchphrases like "bet responsibly" but anyone who does bet responsibly and wins their bets is gubbed and anyone who is a problem gambler losing lots is encouraged to bet even more.

I get gubbed by bet365 who live up to their nickname of Bet£3.65
    Where as I hear if you speak Chinese and appear to be based in the Far East they will happily take £365k bets....
    I remember when the stories of the footballers placing thousands of bets were doing the rounds.
    How on earth did they get that many bets on !?! was the first question I asked.
    Bookies must love footballers accounts.
    Oh they love the suckers. A better question is how does Tony Bloom still get billions of quids of bets on...i reckon the operation on placing the bets must be as complicated as the models he uses to predict the games.
    Shady Far East and Indian markets. Bloom is noteworthy for his black book as much as his algorithms.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

On the subject of British films, what about Peter Greenaway? The Draftsman’s Contract is a particular favourite, if only for the amazing soundtrack.

His star has faded a bit, hasn't it ? He was the talk of the arty town even up to the late 'nineties, like Derek Jarman.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Once Were Warriors
    Boy
    The Piano
    Angel At My Table
    In My Father’s Den
    Heavenly Creatures
    Dark Horse
    The Breaker-Upperers
    Sleeping Dogs

Walkabout
    Picnic at hanging Rock
    Rabbit Proof Fence
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445

Once Were Warriors
    Boy
    The Piano
    Angel At My Table
    In My Father’s Den
    Heavenly Creatures
    Dark Horse
    The Breaker-Upperers
    Sleeping Dogs

I've always wanted to see Heavenly Creatures. Saw it reviewed on Film 91 or thereabouts. Looked amazing. But never seen it in a video shop or Netflix or anything like that.

I think the only two NZ films I've seen are Whale Rider and Bad Taste. Both good.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

😦 How?
    Not enough Radiohead...
    The film received 12 nominations at the 69th Academy Awards, winning nine, including Best Picture, Best Director for Minghella, and Best Supporting Actress for Juliette Binoche. It was also the first to receive a Best Editing Oscar for a digitally edited film.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116209/awards
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    TimS said:

I’d forgotten all about the mink variant!!

This saga is like House of Cards, you forget several episodes and entire story arcs, so long and drawn out is the narrative.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Roger said:

Once Were Warriors
    Boy
    The Piano
    Angel At My Table
    In My Father’s Den
    Heavenly Creatures
    Dark Horse
    The Breaker-Upperers
    Sleeping Dogs

Walkabout
    Picnic at hanging Rock
    Rabbit Proof Fence
    Walkabout also has another fantastic soundtrack to go with the dream sequences - hallucinatory early '70s folk-jazz. Brilliant film.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    No great love for Sex Lives of the Potato Men I see.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

TimS said:

what animal?
    Dogs are known to catch Covid (as are over 100 mammalian species), which means this theory is far from impossible - and is also why totally eradicating Covid is a fools errand.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,610
    edited December 2021
    Roger said:

Once Were Warriors
    Boy
    The Piano
    Angel At My Table
    In My Father’s Den
    Heavenly Creatures
    Dark Horse
    The Breaker-Upperers
    Sleeping Dogs

Walkabout
    Picnic at hanging Rock
    Rabbit Proof Fence
    Some other great Australiana

Strictly Ballroom
    Muriels Wedding
    The Castle
    Wake in Fright
    Romper Stomper
  • Options
    A Much better thread than another one all bugs and drugs. 👍🏻

Looking them up lots seem to be British indie and arty movies from before I was born I have never ever heard of. Don’t know what that means about tastes around here.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

😦 How?
    How?

Well, I guess the first problem is the premise. The second the plot. The third, the characters who I don't care for at all. And after that I'd also fault the acting and the script.

Some of these could have been forgiven if the movie had been a lot, lot shorter.
  • Options
    Top films for cold winter evenings longing for sunshine and summer to return:

Jean de Florette / Manon des Sources
    Shirley Valentine
    Cinema Paradiso
    Jaws (kind of)
    Grease
    Summer Holiday
    Mr Hulot's Holiday
    Nuts in May
    Walkabout
    Before Sunrise
  • Options
    edited December 2021

A Much better thread than another one all bugs and drugs. 👍🏻

Looking them up lots seem to be British indie and arty movies from before I was born I have never ever heard of. Don’t know what that means about tastes around here.

;.)

I'd add Performance from 1970 to that list, and although not British, Nicholas Roeg's next film after that, too, the Man Who Fell To Earth.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

😦 How?
    Not enough Radiohead...
    The film received 12 nominations at the 69th Academy Awards, winning nine, including Best Picture, Best Director for Minghella, and Best Supporting Actress for Juliette Binoche. It was also the first to receive a Best Editing Oscar for a digitally edited film.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116209/awards
    I understand that some people like The English Patient. Some people even love it.

But then again, some people think Turkey Twizzlers are good food. There's no accounting for taste.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

TimS said:

what animal?
    None suggested, but there are plenty of different species in sub-saharan Africa that come into contact with humans. Apparently Covid is now common in deer populations in various countries.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Yes indeed. An artistic triumph, but what it's warning about, in terms of the dangers of a slide into authoritarianism, is also still very relevant, both at home and abroad.
    Any film with Robert De Nero as a rogue heating engineer has to be genius.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

😦 How?
    Not enough Radiohead...
    OK. That poses an interesting question:

What's the best movie to feature a Radiohead song?

I'd probably go with Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet.

And if you want to do TV show, it simply has to be Father Ted.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    edited December 2021
    Evening All :)

I seem to have wandered on to the wrong forum.....
  • Options
    stodge said:

This is a film betting website.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Once Were Warriors
    Boy
    The Piano
    Angel At My Table
    In My Father’s Den
    Heavenly Creatures
    Dark Horse
    The Breaker-Upperers
    Sleeping Dogs

Walkabout
    Picnic at hanging Rock
    Rabbit Proof Fence
    Picnic at Hanging Rock I find deeply confusing. If it were based on a true story I would see the point, but it is entirely made up.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854

stodge said:

This is a film betting website.
    Well, I hope someone doesn't come along and make some horrible pun about keeping it reel.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

Nigelb said:

Any film with Robert De Nero as a rogue heating engineer has to be genius.
    And Michael Palin showing what a very fine straight actor he was.
  • Options
    One more contribution: Once Upon A Time in the West may well be the best western, but High Noon is probably my favourite.
  • Options
    Denmark reports 5,120 new coronavirus cases, by far the biggest one-day increase on record
  • Options
    I rewatched A Fish Called Wanda the other day, and it had held up better than I'd expected.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

😦 How?
    Not enough Radiohead...

Romeo and Juliet also features Lovefool (Say that you love me) by the Cardigans.
  • Options
    TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

😦 How?
    Not enough Radiohead...

Romeo and Juliet also features Lovefool (Say that you love me) by the Cardigans.
    As does Hot Fuzz (which is not a coincidence).
  • Options
    Taz said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Withnail and I
    WickerMan
    Monty Python Holy Grail
    Oliver!
    Shaun of the Dead
    Trainspotting
    Four Weddings
    Kes
    Human Traffic

War Requiem
    Kes
    Life of Brian
    Caravaggio
    In Which They Serve
    Dambusters
    L&D of Colonel Blimp
    Brief Encounter
    Trainspotting
    Four Lions
    The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp is a marvellous film and great call.
    It certainly is. On a war theme The Cruel Sea is a superb film. I'd add The Third Man to any list not jus the British.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

My favourite TV Radiohead reference is in the West Wing, but last time I mentioned it you got the banhammer out...
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    Lean time for David of that ilk amidst all these fillums.
  • Options
    Salah is the GOAT.

May as well give him the golden boot already.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

My favourite TV Radiohead reference is in the West Wing, but last time I mentioned it you got the banhammer out...
    Just a reference, not an actual song, so doesn't count.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Just a reference, not an actual song, so doesn't count.

Is anything by Radiohead "an actual song" ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I rewatched A Fish Called Wanda the other day, and it had held up better than I'd expected.

Fierce Creatures, sadly, has not.
    Despite featuring Ronnie Corbett.
  • Options
    Do you think on Rotten Tomatoes they are dissussing if Labour can take Bexley tomorrow?
  • Options
    Pagel tweeting tonight that Omi could be doubling every 6 days.

So, by my shaky maths, we would be staring down the barrel of a gun of, erm, ≈ 500 cases by xmas day.

Have i missed something?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964

So, by my shaky maths, we would be staring down the barrel of a gun of, erm, ≈ 500 cases by xmas day.

Have i missed something?

Relies on you having a good estimate of the current incidence.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    In Iowa, most white-tailed deer have COVID: https://scitechdaily.com/over-80-of-deer-in-study-test-positive-for-covid-they-may-be-a-reservoir-for-the-virus-to-continually-circulate/

As far as I know it doesn't cause them any great harm.

(It has occurred to me that we might be able to use them as a source of antibodies.)
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Lean time for David of that ilk amidst all these fillums.

After the two - unsurpassed - Dickens adapts, he went mostly offshore so doesn’t quite qualify for some of these lists.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Have i missed something?

Relies on you having a good estimate of the current incidence.
    True. But have been told ≈ 30, I think?
  • Options

Do you think on Rotten Tomatoes they are dissussing if Labour can take Bexley tomorrow?

Genuine :lol:
  • Options
    1-4 in the Merseyside Derby.

The way the season has started, it wouldn't surprise me if either Liverpool or Chelsea (or both) smash City's goals scored in a season and goal difference over a season records.
  • Options

Roger said:

Once Were Warriors
    Boy
    The Piano
    Angel At My Table
    In My Father’s Den
    Heavenly Creatures
    Dark Horse
    The Breaker-Upperers
    Sleeping Dogs

Walkabout
    Picnic at hanging Rock
    Rabbit Proof Fence
    Picnic at Hanging Rock I find deeply confusing. If it were based on a true story I would see the point, but it is entirely made up.
    It was inspired by a painting:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:William_Ford_Hanging_Rock.jpg

that can be seen in the National Gallery in Melbourne (though not just now, unfortunately).
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

The way the season has started, it wouldn't surprise me if either Liverpool or Chelsea (or both) smash City's goals scored in a season and goal difference over a season records.

43 goals in 14 games is a remarkable record for a team in third place!

I think the betting is massively underestimating Liverpool's chances.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    edited December 2021
    Weepy scenes:-

1. The scene at the station in The Railway Children - "Daddy, my Daddy!" Impossible not to weep.
    2. The first 20 minutes of Up.
    3. The scene in the furnace in Tory Story 3
    4. The scene in the station cafe in Brief Encounter as the doctor takes his leave - his hand on Celia Johnson's shoulder - as her irritating friend rabbits on.

Now for some European films

Delicatessen
    The Battle of Algiers
    Le Chagrin et La Pitie - a documentary about France during WW2 and unmissable.
    Shoah - hard going but must be seen
    Au Revoir Les Enfants

Francesco Rosi's Carmen. Also his Illustrious Corpses - on Italian politics and Three Brothers.
    Cinema Paradiso
    The Leopard
    L'Innocente
    Voyage to Italy - with George Sanders and Ingrid Bergman

And from Japan -
    Dersu Uzala
    Throne of Blood - a Japanese Macbeth and the best version I've ever seen.

I like Billy Liar, Far from the Madding Crowd and Don't Look Now.

Some Like it Hot still makes me laugh. As does Dr Strangelove.

Casablanca, The Third Man and To Have and Have Not should be on any list. Also All about Eve and Now Voyager.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

43 goals in 14 games is a remarkable record for a team in third place!

I think the betting is massively underestimating Liverpool's chances.
    Nah, we're going to be utterly buggered when Salah, Mane, and Keita disappear for a month for the Africa Cup of Nations at the end of the month.

The first match they miss is Chelsea away.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

In Iowa, most white-tailed deer have COVID: https://scitechdaily.com/over-80-of-deer-in-study-test-positive-for-covid-they-may-be-a-reservoir-for-the-virus-to-continually-circulate/

As far as I know it doesn't cause them any great harm.

(It has occurred to me that we might be able to use them as a source of antibodies.)

Unmasked, unvaxxed & rural. Clearly republicans.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    edited December 2021
    Back to the future.
    a.k.a. New Thread
  • Options
    Goodison Park has to be one of the emptiest I've ever seen a stadium at full time. It seems most fans have left the ground already. Even Old Trafford wasn't this empty at the final whistle.
  • Options
    I: Booster jabs until 2023: Britain buys 114m vaccine doses #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1466166949528940551/photo/1
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Weepy scenes:-

1. The scene at the station in The Railway Children - "Daddy, my Daddy!" Impossible not to weep.
    2. The first 20 minutes of Up.
    3. The scene in the furnace in Tory Story 3
    4. The scene in the station cafe in Brief Encounter as the doctor takes his leave - his hand on Celia Johnson's shoulder - as her irritating friend rabbits on.

Now for some European films

Delicatessen
    The Battle of Algiers
    Le Chagrin et La Pitie - a documentary about France during WW2 and unmissable.
    Shoah - hard going but must be seen
    Au Revoir Les Enfants

Francesco Rosi's Carmen. Also his Illustrious Corpses - on Italian politics and Three Brothers.
    Cinema Paradiso
    The Leopard
    L'Innocente
    Voyage to Italy - with George Sanders and Ingrid Bergman

And from Japan -
    Dersu Uzala
    Throne of Blood - a Japanese Macbeth and the best version I've ever seen.

I like Billy Liar, Far from the Madding Crowd and Don't Look Now.

Some Like it Hot still makes me laugh. As does Dr Strangelove.

Casablanca, The Third Man and To Have and Have Not should be on any list. Also All about Eve and Now Voyager.

More weepy scenes in Jojo Rabbit, when Jojo ties his mum's shoelaces, and of course Bambi.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,774
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Can't believe I missed the top 10 film discussion.

Late to the game so I'll save mine for the next time it comes round.

As did I.
    Let's start it up again.

I don't really have a top ten, but...
    Spirited Away
    Casablanca
    Vertigo
    Dr Strangelove
    Yojimbo
    The Band Wagon
    Memories of Murder
    Apocalypse Now
    All About Eve
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Would be entirely different tomorrow.
    Ice Cold in Alex
    Out Of The Past
    Lone Star
    The Third Man
    Three Colours trilogy (is that cheating?)
    12 Angry Men
    Memento
    Double Indemnity
    Pan’s Labyrinth

Will be different after I finish my cup of tea!
  • Options

Having said earlier that Goodfellas is the best film and soundtrack ever, how about favourite scene ever?
    Travolta and Thurman dancing to You Never Can Tell in Pulp Fiction.

Just because I have sympathy with outlaws who are really quite kind underneath I like the scene at the end of Oliver when Fagin and the Artful Dodger go off into the sunset .
    Doesn’t Fagin die?

No I Heart Huckerbees on any list?
    Sykes does of course but he is a baddie baddie
    That’s not Dickens. It’s some pat Hollywood ending version no better than Die Hard.
This discussion has been closed.