Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Old Bexley & Sidcup: The betting overstates CON chances – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Not a Top 10:

Vertigo
    Rear Window
    North By Northwest
    The 39 Steps

Paths of Glory
    Dr Strangelove
    2001: Space Odyssey
    A Clockwork Orange

La Strada
    Nights of Cabiria
    8 1/2
    Amarcord

+

The Leopard
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farage's exclusive interview with Donald Trump in Florida at Mar a Lago on GB news just started now

If I wanted to see Nigel with his tongue so far up Donald's arse that he's able to polish the man's tonsils, then I'd have accepted the invitation to visit Vladimir Putin's personal video library.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    edited December 2021

BBC news...

I was refused a booster for being too young'
    A 34-year-old woman says she is "livid" after being turned away from a booster jab walk-in centre for being too young.

Heidi Bird, a nutrition scientist in London, tells the BBC she had queued at a pharmacy in Hampstead, North London with other young people who also got turned away.

"I asked the pharmacist why and he said the system is not set up to handle these at the moment," she says.

The UK has been dragging its heels on this. All my friends in Europe have been vaccinated.

----

The head of NHS made it absolutely clear yesterday that is not how it works. It going in age grouping. Your friends been vaccinated, but I doubt boostered.

Why are the BBC even reporting this ranty lady?

Obviously, it is far from absolutely clear what the new plan is. The old plan (booster after six (or five) months) would naturally follow the original roll-out which was by clinical need and age. Headlines for the new plan were that all adults should be jabbed. I can't blame ranty lady or anyone else for missing the small print.
    I didn't even listen to it, and it is in neon lights.

The rollout will be done in age bands, as before.

Ranty lady even seems confused between the difference between a 'booster' and a 'vaccination'.
  • Options
    Warning. Just got this dodgy email:

Get Your Free Omicron PCR today to avoid restrictions

NHS scientists have warned that the new Covid variant Omicron spreads rapidly, can be transmitted between fully vaccinated people, and makes jabs less effective.However, as the new covid variant (Omicron)has quickly become apparent, we have had to make new test kits as the new variant appears dormant in the original test kits.

What happen if you decline a COVID-19 Omicron test?
    In this situation, we warned that testing is in the best interests of themselves, friends, and family. People who do not consent or cannot agree to a COVID-19 test and refuse to undergo a swab must be isolated.

How to request a Free Omicron PCR test?
    You can order your Omicorn pcr test via NHS portal by clicking the link below:

The link is NOT NHS but in Sri Lanka.
  • Options
    MattW said:

BBC news...

A 34-year-old woman says she is "livid" after being turned away from a booster jab walk-in centre for being too young.

Heidi Bird, a nutrition scientist in London, tells the BBC she had queued at a pharmacy in Hampstead, North London with other young people who also got turned away.

"I asked the pharmacist why and he said the system is not set up to handle these at the moment," she says.

The UK has been dragging its heels on this. All my friends in Europe have been vaccinated.

----

The head of NHS made it absolutely clear yesterday that is not how it works. It going in age grouping. Your friends been vaccinated, but I doubt boostered.

Obviously, it is far from absolutely clear what the new plan is. The old plan (booster after six (or five) months) would naturally follow the original roll-out which was by clinical need and age. Headlines for the new plan were that all adults should be jabbed. I can't blame ranty lady or anyone else for missing the small print.

Ranty lady even seems confused between the difference between a 'booster' and a 'vaccination'.
    I don’t think it’s obvious.

Previously, the booster was being administered in age bands, at least 6 months after the last shot.

Now, the booster is administered in age bands, at least 6 months after the last shot.

Nothing’s bloody changed.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    edited December 2021

HYUFD said:

Farage's exclusive interview with Donald Trump in Florida at Mar a Lago on GB news just started now

I don't think that's going to make it into my favourite film list.
    A litmus test of courage is to be able to look a problem right in the eye, not shy away from it, but I seriously could not watch that. I simply don't have it in me.
  • Options

Omicron was in the UK days before South Africa warned the world of the new Covid variant, it has emerged after the majority of cases in Scotland were linked to a single 'event' on November 20.

Mail Online

Looks like it started in Scotland :smiley:

The Israel earliest case came from somebody who attended a medical conference in London a couple of weeks ago.
    London Smog variant?
    Cockney Covid II.
  • Options
    MattW said:

BBC news...

----

If she'd listened to Boris, she'd know. But if she'd listened to The Saj on the same day, he did not mention an age-based rollout. There is also the problem that what was announced as a great change is really doing the same thing as before, only faster.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Omicron was in the UK days before South Africa warned the world of the new Covid variant, it has emerged after the majority of cases in Scotland were linked to a single 'event' on November 20.

Mail Online

I thought the UK was 'sequaning' (is that the right word?) a large proportion/most of the samples taken for PCR testing, which would show up the variants?

Am I wrong?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Who cares
    Well he leads Biden again in some current 2024 polls, for now, so he cannot be ignored even if you loathe him
    For my piece of mind, yes he can and Farage as well
  • Options
    First Omicron case found in the US - California.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Astounding that more people would put Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels in their top ten than would put Rear Window.

You people.

My list is favourite films not already done, and I’m ashamed to admit I haven’t seen Rear Window; I will rectify the error this evening.

On that subject, has anyone mentioned Twelve Angry Men yet?
    Oh my goodness, Twelve Angry Men is even better than Rear Window.

But seriously, Rear Window is magical. Everything is spot on. Hitchcock could make magnificent films in incredibly limited settings. See also Rope. I believe both are the same in the way that they're set almost entirely in a single room (or looking out from it).
    That is one of the points of Twelve Angry Men too. It was originally a play, and it works very well on the stage still.

I will report back on Rear Window once I’ve seen it.
    I hope you love it. If you don't grip your chair at least once the film has failed.
    Thank you for that: yes, great film and masterly directed: lots of show don’t tell. Grace Kelly was superb as was James Stuart (if a bit old for the part.)
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,248
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

The Shadow Cabinet reshuffle was a clear further shift to isolate the Cobrynites and far left by Starmer with the appointment of the Blairite Lammy as Shadow Foreign Secretary and the Brownite Cooper as Shadow Home Secretary. That does suggest Starmer is making efforts to make Labour more centrist after its heavy defeat in 2019 under Corbyn.

However, it was also a clear promotion for Remainers. He replaced Nandy with a fervent People's Vote campaigner in Lammy and alongside Starmer and Reeves most of Labour's top team were diehard Remainers until the 2019 general election. Streeting, also a diehard Remainer, meanwhile came into the Shadow Cabinet as Education Secretary.

How that goes down in 63% Leave Bexley in the by election tomorrow remains to be seen

Unlike the last time this was brilliant from Starmer.

He's managed to get as much wisdom as he can around the table. The left has been hugely weakened, but they'll not point to why.
    Starmer's pointless dig at Angela Rayner was an own goal. Labour needs people who can hammer the Tories and whether you like her or not, Rayner has been cutting through. And she is not even that left-wing.
    Ah yes, I totally agree that his handling of Rayner is a bit odd. I suspect that there's something we don't know there.

Rayner is a capable politician.
    She seems a loose cannon who is more comfortable preaching to the choir (against "Tory scum" etc) than winning converts.

As well as the fact he pretty clearly distrusts her, I don't think she and Starmer agree on fundamental approach. What he wants to do is detoxify ("not Corbyn's party"), convey competence ("ready to govern"), and separate Tory voters from Tory politicians in quite a targeted way (a "lions led by donkeys" message). Rayner is more of a tub-thumper - generate a wave of righteous rage in order to win.
    Rayner is Starmer's John Prescott, a token sop to the left and working class and unions, having a grand position as Deputy Leader and Shadow First Secretary of State but little actual power. Prescott of course even in the New Labour years ended every Labour conference with a tub thumping speech ranting at the Tories to the party activists delight, much as Rayner will do
    Different situation as Labour Deputy Leader is an elected position.

Blair genuinely liked Prescott - an unwavering loyalist with an instinctive understanding of Labour's core vote whom Blair was more than happy to keep close.

Starmer pretty clearly doesn't rate Rayner. She is literally unsackable, but he's perfectly clear he doesn't want her in the room where the decisions are made (it's not as bad as Corbyn/Watson where the mutual loathing was palpable, but they aren't mates).

But in a sense does it matter? Labour Deputy Leader has some level of status, but it varies in relevance over time. I mean, Raab is technically deputy PM, but it was only a way to give him a fig leaf when he was demoted. He's not a Willie Whitelaw or even a Nick Clegg - it's pretty much titular, to give the pompous arse some kind of sense of worth.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

The Shadow Cabinet reshuffle was a clear further shift to isolate the Cobrynites and far left by Starmer with the appointment of the Blairite Lammy as Shadow Foreign Secretary and the Brownite Cooper as Shadow Home Secretary. That does suggest Starmer is making efforts to make Labour more centrist after its heavy defeat in 2019 under Corbyn.

However, it was also a clear promotion for Remainers. He replaced Nandy with a fervent People's Vote campaigner in Lammy and alongside Starmer and Reeves most of Labour's top team were diehard Remainers until the 2019 general election. Streeting, also a diehard Remainer, meanwhile came into the Shadow Cabinet as Education Secretary.

How that goes down in 63% Leave Bexley in the by election tomorrow remains to be seen

He's managed to get as much wisdom as he can around the table. The left has been hugely weakened, but they'll not point to why.
    Starmer's pointless dig at Angela Rayner was an own goal. Labour needs people who can hammer the Tories and whether you like her or not, Rayner has been cutting through. And she is not even that left-wing.
    Ah yes, I totally agree that his handling of Rayner is a bit odd. I suspect that there's something we don't know there.

She seems a loose cannon who is more comfortable preaching to the choir (against "Tory scum" etc) than winning converts.

As well as the fact he pretty clearly distrusts her, I don't think she and Starmer agree on fundamental approach. What he wants to do is detoxify ("not Corbyn's party"), convey competence ("ready to govern"), and separate Tory voters from Tory politicians in quite a targeted way (a "lions led by donkeys" message). Rayner is more of a tub-thumper - generate a wave of righteous rage in order to win.
    Rayner is Starmer's John Prescott, a token sop to the left and working class and unions, having a grand position as Deputy Leader and Shadow First Secretary of State but little actual power. Prescott of course even in the New Labour years ended every Labour conference with a tub thumping speech ranting at the Tories to the party activists delight, much as Rayner will do

Blair genuinely liked Prescott - an unwavering loyalist with an instinctive understanding of Labour's core vote whom Blair was more than happy to keep close.

Starmer pretty clearly doesn't rate Rayner. She is literally unsackable, but he's perfectly clear he doesn't want her in the room where the decisions are made (it's not as bad as Corbyn/Watson where the mutual loathing was palpable, but they aren't mates).

But in a sense does it matter? Labour Deputy Leader has some level of status, but it varies in relevance over time. I mean, Raab is technically deputy PM, but it was only a way to give him a fig leaf when he was demoted. He's not a Willie Whitelaw or even a Nick Clegg - it's pretty much titular, to give the pompous arse some kind of sense of worth.
    It’s an issue.
    People don’t like open animosity.
  • Options
    The Women's Tennis Association has announced the immediate suspension of all tournaments in China amid concern for Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai.
  • Options

Having said earlier that Goodfellas is the best film and soundtrack ever, how about favourite scene ever?
    Travolta and Thurman dancing to You Never Can Tell in Pulp Fiction.

Stallone training by running though Philly in Rocky.

It was completely unstaged. They (I think Stallone and two others) drove around looking for places for him to run. They couldn't afford any extras, so the people in the market are just real people in a market, and the guy that throws him an orange just did that spontaneously.

When Stallone gets to the top of the steps and starts shadow boxing, they actually play the tape of him doing it in reverse.

And it's got the Rocky theme.
    In fact, I think Rocky deserves special mention in any great movie discussion.

It was such an incredible achievement by Stallone. He sold his first ever screenplay when he hadn't even written it to the producers during a (failed) audition. I think he then wrote it in a weekend. He got his budget cut in half, from two to one million dollars, so he could star in it. The biggest expense in the budget was the make-up department and they ran out of money filming it.

And his movie won three Oscars and was nominated for another seven.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

It’s an issue.
    Slightly, but it's VERY Westminster Village.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,364
    Just been to a shop for the first time since the great remasking. The local One Stop. (So a bit C2/D/E ish compared to Tesco/Sainsburys in the centre of town). Two employees, six customers. Not one mask.
    Heroes, all.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    OK I’m gonna narrow it down massively. Ten best films is insane, like saying “ten best books” or ten best “places”

Ten best British films made with a predominantly British cast in Britain with a British theme and location

Withnail and I
    WickerMan
    Monty Python Holy Grail
    Oliver!
    Shaun of the Dead
    Trainspotting
    Four Weddings
    Kes
    Human Traffic
    A Matter of Life and Death
  • Options

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    1h
    Everyone is going to get Covid many times through their lives. So you're telling me we'll get omicron next Spring via vaxx escape instead of delta next Spring-Summer via immunity waning?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

It’s an issue.
    Slightly, but it's VERY Westminster Village.
    I heard a nice Blair/Prescott anecdote from a civil servant at the time. Apparently Prescott bought Blair a singing Billy Big Bass for his birthday. Not sure how enamoured Blair was with it, but pleased enough with it to display it on his office.
  • Options
    Leon said:

OK I’m gonna narrow it down massively. Ten best films is insane, like saying “ten best books” or ten best “places”

Ten best British films made with a predominantly British cast in Britain with a British theme and location

Withnail and I
    WickerMan
    Monty Python Holy Grail
    Oliver!
    Shaun of the Dead
    Trainspotting
    Four Weddings
    Kes
    Human Traffic

Kind Hearts and Coronets?
    The Lady Killers?

As for Oliver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk
  • Options
    Leon said:

Withnail and I
    WickerMan
    Monty Python Holy Grail
    Oliver!
    Shaun of the Dead
    Trainspotting
    Four Weddings
    Kes
    Human Traffic

Most of my top ten are British but I didn't have any of those. No Local Hero? No Railway Children? And personally I much preferred Shallow Grave to Trainspotting. Still, good selection.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    Foxy said:

The Christmas parties fear is completely irrational.

There are 32 omicron cases in the UK. On current trends there might be a few hundred by the time the works party season ends in a fortnight.

Thirty two.

Three two.

FFS.

Up from 13 yesterday, and those just the diagnosed cases. For every one of those there will be a dozen or more seeded...
    At the quoted rate of increase, from 13 to 32 in a day, we would have nine-and-a-half million Omicron cases in a fortnight.

I'm not expecting that many cases. I'd be very surprised if there were only a few hundred though.
  • Options

Having said earlier that Goodfellas is the best film and soundtrack ever, how about favourite scene ever?

Just because I have sympathy with outlaws who are really quite kind underneath I like the scene at the end of Oliver when Fagin and the Artful Dodger go off into the sunset .
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Withnail and I
    WickerMan
    Monty Python Holy Grail
    Oliver!
    Shaun of the Dead
    Trainspotting
    Four Weddings
    Kes
    Human Traffic

Most of my top ten are British but I didn't have any of those. No Local Hero? No Railway Children? And personally I much preferred Shallow Grave to Trainspotting. Still, good selection.

Shallow Grave was excellent, but not standout

Dial M for Murder is an exquisite Hitchcock, set in London, with a largely UK cast
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited December 2021

Just because I have sympathy with outlaws who are really quite kind underneath I like the scene at the end of Oliver when Fagin and the Artful Dodger go off into the sunset .
    Doesn’t Fagin die?

No I Heart Huckerbees on any list?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

Withnail and I
    WickerMan
    Monty Python Holy Grail
    Oliver!
    Shaun of the Dead
    Trainspotting
    Four Weddings
    Kes
    Human Traffic

A Canterbury Tale
    Great Expectations
    The Fallen Idol
    Kind Hearts and Coronets
    The Servant
    A Clockwork Orange
    The Go-Between
    My Beautiful Laundrette
    Secrets and Lies
    28 Days Later
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sorry but I now can't get this out of my head - 12 Angry Men as PB argument cum jury deliberation. I picture a man called Boris on trial and the charge is "Putting a Border in the Irish Sea". It looks a slam dunk - he did it - and when the jury retire they agree. However it's not quite unanimous. It's 11 to 1 for Guilty. But that one is the indefatigable Philip Thompson - played not by Henry Fonda but by Christian Bale - and he sees it differently. Cue an interminable debate, back & forth, forth & back, as he first refuses to concede and then, slowly, relentlessly, grinds the others down, forces them to say everything 10 times, then rebuts it 10 times, till they are faced with the choice of killing him, which is a world of trouble, or caving in and agreeing. Which they do, they change their vote and Boris goes free.

LOL!

Considering I put all 3 Dark Knight movies in my top 10, I'm quite honoured to be played by Christian Bale.
    Yes, I saw your list. Very 'superhero' heavy. Quite strikingly so.
    Superhero movies are some of the best movies, especially nowadays. I think post-Cold War superhero movies are the very best action movies, better than spy movies, not simply because of the heroes but because in part they get the best villains.

The problem nowadays is people are too PC to cast the Chinese, or Russians etc as the villains as it will hurt their sales their if they do, but nobody objects if The Joker, Bane, Zod or Thanos is portrayed as the villain.

There were many great superhero movies I could have named but didn't. I only chose one from the entire MCU which is over 20 films, the entire Dark Knight trilogy deserves to be on the list. I didn't choose Superman 2, or the 80s Batman with Jack Nicholson as the Joker or many more that could have been included.
  • Options

Leon said:

Withnail and I
    WickerMan
    Monty Python Holy Grail
    Oliver!
    Shaun of the Dead
    Trainspotting
    Four Weddings
    Kes
    Human Traffic

A Canterbury Tale
    Great Expectations
    The Fallen Idol
    Kind Hearts and Coronets
    The Servant
    A Clockwork Orange
    The Go-Between
    My Beautiful Laundrette
    Secrets and Lies
    28 Days Later
    Fantastic alternative list! We have made some wonderful movies

The Servant is chillingly superb
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Astounding that more people would put Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels in their top ten than would put Rear Window.

You people.

My list is favourite films not already done, and I’m ashamed to admit I haven’t seen Rear Window; I will rectify the error this evening.

But seriously, Rear Window is magical. Everything is spot on. Hitchcock could make magnificent films in incredibly limited settings. See also Rope. I believe both are the same in the way that they're set almost entirely in a single room (or looking out from it).
    That is one of the points of Twelve Angry Men too. It was originally a play, and it works very well on the stage still.

I hope you love it. If you don't grip your chair at least once the film has failed.
    Thank you for that: yes, great film and masterly directed: lots of show don’t tell. Grace Kelly was superb as was James Stuart (if a bit old for the part.)
    Brilliant. The bit when GK is hiding... I feel tense just thinking about it.
  • Options
    I completely forgot, though they wouldn't have made my list, the Young Guns movies. I loved them and watched them many times.

I love the scene, I'm pretty sure in YG2, when it goes..

Kiefer: William H Bonney; you are not a god

Emilio: Why don't you pull the trigger and find out
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Pfi 1 - Pfi 2 - Mod boosted now.
  • Options
    One of the best films from the sixties, it’s a mad mad mad mad world? So many laughs
  • Options
    Can't beat a bit of good old fashioned racism at Christmas...

https://blacklivesmatter.com/black-xmas/
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    1h
    Everyone is going to get Covid many times through their lives. So you're telling me we'll get omicron next Spring via vaxx escape instead of delta next Spring-Summer via immunity waning?

Well exactly!
  • Options

The only reaction will be White Lives Matter

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Depressing that even in a discussion about favourite films people need to slip their politics in and have a little moan.
    Have a word with yourself.
  • Options
    Top 10 NZ films (niche post)

Once Were Warriors
    Boy
    The Piano
    Angel At My Table
    In My Father’s Den
    Heavenly Creatures
    Dark Horse
    The Breaker-Upperers
    What We Do In The Shadows
    Sleeping Dogs
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    The Third Man is still quite brilliant.

Local Hero. I first watched it before I would effectively have a career as Mac.

Best film moments?

Personally, have to include:

The Railway Children "Daddy my daddy!" Watch it and sob.

Battle of Britain. "Repeat please...."

Kagemusha, when the double rides the length of the troops cheering them on.

Field of Dreams. Pitching with his father....

"Charlie don't surf...."
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

It is completely and utterly unhinged stuff, and racist.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    Farooq said:

Depressing that even in a discussion about favourite films people need to slip their politics in and have a little moan.
    Have a word with yourself.

I suspect the wandering into politics is mainly so that Mike doesn't tip us all out!

A very inclusive thread though this has been.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Foxy said:

The Christmas parties fear is completely irrational.

There are 32 omicron cases in the UK. On current trends there might be a few hundred by the time the works party season ends in a fortnight.

Thirty two.

Three two.

FFS.

Up from 13 yesterday, and those just the diagnosed cases. For every one of those there will be a dozen or more seeded...
    At the quoted rate of increase, from 13 to 32 in a day, we would have nine-and-a-half million Omicron cases in a fortnight.

I'm not expecting that many cases. I'd be very surprised if there were only a few hundred though.
    Point of order, it was 23 yesterday in the UK. But I realise your post is obviously a piss take.
  • Options
    Leon said:

#Buildblackbetter
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Once Were Warriors
    Boy
    The Piano
    Angel At My Table
    In My Father’s Den
    Heavenly Creatures
    Dark Horse
    The Breaker-Upperers
    Sleeping Dogs

Have you seen this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World's_Fastest_Indian

It's very good.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

Once Were Warriors
    Boy
    The Piano
    Angel At My Table
    In My Father’s Den
    Heavenly Creatures
    Dark Horse
    The Breaker-Upperers
    Sleeping Dogs

Once Were Warriors rightly top, but what about The Hunt for the Wilderpeople, or Bad Taste?
  • Options
    I don't know why I forgot Matthew Broderick.

I need to at least consider War Games and Ferris Bueller's Day Off in my favourite movies list.
  • Options

Once Were Warriors
    Boy
    The Piano
    Angel At My Table
    In My Father’s Den
    Heavenly Creatures
    Dark Horse
    The Breaker-Upperers
    Sleeping Dogs

Top pick seems interesting. I initially thought that you'd referred to Mel Gibson's " We were soldiers" - also a good film.
  • Options

Doesn’t Fagin die?

No I Heart Huckerbees on any list?
    Sykes does of course but he is a baddie baddie
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

I need to at least consider War Games and Ferris Bueller's Day Off in my favourite movies list.

I saw Dr Strangelove for the first time not that long ago. And I couldn't help but feel like I'd rather be watching War Games.
  • Options
    I don’t know if I have seen every list, but Spartacus is missing? Nothing by David Lynch?

And what is not to enjoy with multi dimensional, great script, well acted, great photography, The English Patient?
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Not Broderick but The Breakfast Club is a great 80s movie.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Once Were Warriors
    Boy
    The Piano
    Angel At My Table
    In My Father’s Den
    Heavenly Creatures
    Dark Horse
    The Breaker-Upperers
    Sleeping Dogs

Have you seen this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World's_Fastest_Indian

It's very good.
    Yep. It’s fine, just fine.
    Hopkins’s accent is superb, though,
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Once Were Warriors
    Boy
    The Piano
    Angel At My Table
    In My Father’s Den
    Heavenly Creatures
    Dark Horse
    The Breaker-Upperers
    Sleeping Dogs

Once Were Warriors rightly top, but what about The Hunt for the Wilderpeople, or Bad Taste?
    I actually thought I’d included Wilderpeople, damn.

Bad Taste (and the rest) are niche x niche.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Withnail and I
    WickerMan
    Monty Python Holy Grail
    Oliver!
    Shaun of the Dead
    Trainspotting
    Four Weddings
    Kes
    Human Traffic

The Railway Children
    Gregory's Girl
    Trainspotting
    My Beautiful Launderette
    Educating Rita*
    Rebecca
    The 39 Steps
    Atonement
    Cathy Come Home
    In the Name of the Father

*filmed in Dublin but set in the UK
  • Options
    Can’t believe I missed “Red Shoes” in my U.K. list above.

I think it’s probably the G-O-A-T U.K. film (with a British theme/cast/location).
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,201

HYUFD said:

If I wanted to see Nigel with his tongue so far up Donald's arse that he's able to polish the man's tonsils, then I'd have accepted the invitation to visit Vladimir Putin's personal video library.
    Quite. Farage is doing himself no favours by cozying up to that SOB
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    edited December 2021
    I like films Steve Coogan is in as there is always a bit of Alan Partridge in his characters but 24 hour Party People and the Look of Love are his best.

BTW Steve Coogan does the best Neil Kinnock impression

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY7aqvR9oD0
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Part of the fun in watching Hot Fuzz is trying to identify the great variety of rifles, pistols, revolvers, sub machine guns and mines which have supporting roles.

"By the Power of Grayskull!"
  • Options

I think it’s probably the G-O-A-T U.K. film (with a British theme/cast/location).

Such a softy!

But yes, you're quite right. An exquisite film.
  • Options
    Is there any genuine chance, given the great number of testimonies from doctors that most omicron cases are mild/asymptomatic, that omicron is indeed a largely mild variant? I realise such wishful thinking is frowned upon on PB. But should we rule it out?
  • Options
    geoffw said:
    I believe case in Canada was from somebody who came direct from Nigiera, no travel to SA.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I love the fact that it only cost a million dollars to make, and you could probably remake the movie now for the same amount.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135

Moira Shearer (Ludovic's missus) was a customer of my wife's when she had a designer clothing shop in the 70s.

• Options

I like films Steve Coogan is in as there is always a bit of Alan Partridge in his characters but 24 hour Party People and the Look of Love are his best.

That is an astoundingly good impression. Phenomenal

By many accounts Coogan is an arse (like his persona in the various TRIPS) but my god, he is talented
  • Options

Is there any genuine chance, given the great number of testimonies from doctors that most omicron cases are mild/asymptomatic, that omicron is indeed a largely mild variant? I realise such wishful thinking is frowned upon on PB. But should we rule it out?

From evidence so far I have had more dangerous curries
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Yes of course is it, especially as it isn't unheard of that virus can mutant themselves into being less lethal.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

From evidence so far I have had more dangerous curries
    Could you list your local Indian eateries, so I remember never to dine there!
  • Options
    geoffw said:
    So omicron wasn’t cooked up in Botswana last Wednesday after all! Who knew?!
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

No mention of Alpha Papa?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Given how few tests / official cases in Nigeria it is amazing they ever found it.....
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Such a softy!

But yes, you're quite right. An exquisite film.
    I think the central scene is scintillating. It makes my synapses pop. Spielberg and Scorsese are also big fans, from memory both rate it #1 or thereabouts.
  • Options

I think Glory is underrated. Not my top 10 but top 50 maybe.
  • Options

I do that wishful thinking thing too. And moreover if it is mild/asymptomatic and drives out the dreaded delta, wouldn't it be very welcome?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2021
    Someone mentioned Kes below - it also has a beautiful soundtrack, as does Local Hero. The only time I've ever had much time for Dire Straits ; beautiful folky earthiness rather than middle-of-the-road rock.
  • Options

Of course there's a chance.

It's really not at all clear why covid should be able to mutate and cause us all this trouble. Cold viruses have been loafing about for ages and seemingly haven't managed such a trick. I can imagine explanations for it, but I've not heard any actual facts.
  • Options
    Grrrr. Been 'gubbed' by PaddyPower as I was winning too much money from them it seems.

It really pisses me off how much the bookies advertise on TV saying catchphrases like "bet responsibly" but anyone who does bet responsibly and wins their bets is gubbed and anyone who is a problem gambler losing lots is encouraged to bet even more.
  • Options

Yes of course is it, especially as it isn't unheard of that virus can mutant themselves into being less lethal.
    @Chris posted data earlier that suggested it was milder than delta. And it think it’s fair to say that he is hardly what one might call a covid dove!
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,968

He’s surprisingly good in Philomena - a rare straight role.
  • Options
    Leon said:

That is an astoundingly good impression. Phenomenal

By many accounts Coogan is an arse (like his persona in the various TRIPS) but my god, he is talented
    He was a lovely gent when I met him briefly at a Labour canvassing event during the 2015 election. I even got a selfie with him and Tom Watson.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Mail Online

COP26 maybe
    English infiltrator.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

I do that wishful thinking thing too. And moreover if it is mild/asymptomatic and drives out the dreaded delta, wouldn't it be very welcome?
    Yes, I suppose so (assuming it can out compete Delta, which I am far from convinced about!)
  • Options

Someone mentioned Kes below - it also has a beautiful soundtrack, as does Local Hero. The only time I've ever had much time for Dire Straits ; beautiful folky earthiness rather than middle-of-the-road rock.

Elvira Madigan for the soundtrack. The fillum isn't bad either.

• Options

Grrrr. Been 'gubbed' by PaddyPower as I was winning too much money from them it seems.

It really pisses me off how much the bookies advertise on TV saying catchphrases like "bet responsibly" but anyone who does bet responsibly and wins their bets is gubbed and anyone who is a problem gambler losing lots is encouraged to bet even more.

I get gubbed by bet365 who live up to their nickname of Bet£3.65
  • Options

MattW said:

BBC news...

----

If she'd listened to Boris, she'd know. But if she'd listened to The Saj on the same day, he did not mention an age-based rollout. There is also the problem that what was announced as a great change is really doing the same thing as before, only faster.
    I didn't listen to either of them.

But I had mine ages ago :smile: .
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

You people.

I don’t think Stewart was too old for the role - the awkwardness of the relationship is intrinsic to the movie.
  • Options

I think Glory is underrated. Not my top 10 but top 50 maybe.
    I haven't watched Glory. I will soon.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    edited December 2021
    moonshine said:

That was perhaps the worse ! Coogan is so good he plays multiple characters in some of his shows - You really have to look about 4 times to spot Coogan is playing "Keanu Reeves" in Saxondale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imVngLpqEHU
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378

That’s why I don’t really have a top ten.
    Powell and Pressburger were magical.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    moonshine said:

Papa? Another new variant?
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Where as I hear if you speak Chinese and appear to be based in the Far East they will happily take £365k bets....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

Pulpstar said:

I love the fact that it only cost a million dollars to make, and you could probably remake the movie now for the same amount.
    I mentioned Bad Taste earlier. It took 4 years for Peter Jackson to make. A similar amount of time as his later LoTR films. Rather less of a budget though...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Withnail and I
    WickerMan
    Monty Python Holy Grail
    Oliver!
    Shaun of the Dead
    Trainspotting
    Four Weddings
    Kes
    Human Traffic

A Canterbury Tale
    Great Expectations
    The Fallen Idol
    Kind Hearts and Coronets
    The Servant
    A Clockwork Orange
    The Go-Between
    My Beautiful Laundrette
    Secrets and Lies
    28 Days Later
    Fantastic alternative list! We have made some wonderful movies

The Servant is chillingly superb
    Used to picture that for Johnson and Cummings. But wrongly, I think, as it turned out.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    edited December 2021
    Restless Natives.

The soundtrack is also a belter
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    Leon said:

Withnail and I
    WickerMan
    Monty Python Holy Grail
    Oliver!
    Shaun of the Dead
    Trainspotting
    Four Weddings
    Kes
    Human Traffic

War Requiem
    Kes
    Life of Brian
    Caravaggio
    In Which They Serve
    Dambusters
    L&D of Colonel Blimp
    Brief Encounter
    Trainspotting
    Four Lions
  • Options

Where as I hear if you speak Chinese and appear to be based in the Far East they will happily take £365k bets....
    I remember when the stories of the footballers placing thousands of bets were doing the rounds.
    How on earth did they get that many bets on !?! was the first question I asked.
    Bookies must love footballers accounts.
  • Options
    Nobody else has included, or commented on my inclusion of, Dazed And Confused.

I love the movie and the fact that it introduced me to WAR
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059

Once Were Warriors
    Boy
    The Piano
    Angel At My Table
    In My Father’s Den
    Heavenly Creatures
    Dark Horse
    The Breaker-Upperers
    Sleeping Dogs

Goodbye Pork Pie? In the best traditions of an American road movie.
This discussion has been closed.