Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Old Bexley & Sidcup: The betting overstates CON chances – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    edited December 2021

HYUFD said:

The Shadow Cabinet reshuffle was a clear further shift to isolate the Cobrynites and far left by Starmer with the appointment of the Blairite Lammy as Shadow Foreign Secretary and the Brownite Cooper as Shadow Home Secretary. That does suggest Starmer is making efforts to make Labour more centrist after its heavy defeat in 2019 under Corbyn.

However, it was also a clear promotion for Remainers. He replaced Nandy with a fervent People's Vote campaigner in Lammy and alongside Starmer and Reeves most of Labour's top team were diehard Remainers until the 2019 general election. Streeting, also a diehard Remainer, meanwhile came into the Shadow Cabinet as Education Secretary.

How that goes down in 63% Leave Bexley in the by election tomorrow remains to be seen

I broadly agree on centrist aspects, but I'm not really sure on the Remainer bit. Yes, a lot of Labour centrists backed Starmer's (and Corbyn's, but clearly Starmer was the architect) flawed policy of reopening the issue rather than settling Brexit on the best possible terms in 2019. But it's yesterday's debate.

On Nandy, I don't actually see it as a demotion. Foreign Secretary is one of the great offices of state, but Shadow Foreign Secretary isn't all that much of a thing - you criticise diplomatic missteps, but the big foreign affairs issues are all pinched by your boss, and the policy development issues aren't that huge.

Nandy is a good tactical choice to shadow Gove - she's a capable operator and does manage to convey a northern authenticity which is tricky for Gove, who is a good in terms of grip on his brief and policy generation ability (hence why he's been brought in to sort out the mess of levelling up, which has never really got beyond the level of Johnson slogan so far), but is a hard to like southerner.
    Er, do you come from Thurso? Mr Gove is an Aberdonian by birth and schooling, though I don't know how he has presented himself in recent decades (Scottish independence matters aside), so it's interesting you call him a southerner.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

No Trainspotting love?

Trainspotting 2 for me.

The scene with the fans of Ranger and their PINs and the scene in the nightclub are so fecking memorable.

'No more Catholics'
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Musicals

MY FAIR LADY
    OLIVER
    GUYS AND DOLLS
    ALL THAT JAZZ
    WEST SIDE STORY
    CABARET
    BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
    BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
    SINGING IN THE RAIN
    BUGSY MALONE

Dunno about Bohemian Rhapsody. It's a plodding biopic with a great finale which is more-or-less a shot-for-shot remake of Live Aid.
    The guy's got a billion points in the bag for correctly identifying the best ever musical, and you're quibbling about some detail of the undercard? (Not seen Bohemian Rhapsody)
    My Fair Lady the best musical of all time? This is a betting site and you like a film that has horses racing *left-handed* at Royal Ascot? Away with you. :wink:
    I'm all in. I simply love that film. The most beautiful girl ever (Hepburn), the most amusing character ever (Harrison), and the best man ever (Hyde-White). And then you have the father played so magnificently by... can't remember his name.
    And amazing costumes (Cecil Beaton?) and amazing songs. What’s not to love?
    It was highly misleading as to precipitation patterns in Iberia. Otherwise, nothing much wrong with it.

Could you class Saturday Night Fever as a musical? I know it became an official one, but that should obviously be ignored.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    rcs1000 said:

No Trainspotting love? Or The Usual Suspects? Or The Third Man?

And if we have to have a Wes Anderson movie in there, then it should probably be The Royal Tenanbaums.

No
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

And if we have to have a Wes Anderson movie in there, then it should probably be The Royal Tenanbaums.

Trainspotting 1 for me.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894
    edited December 2021

HYUFD said:

The Shadow Cabinet reshuffle was a clear further shift to isolate the Cobrynites and far left by Starmer with the appointment of the Blairite Lammy as Shadow Foreign Secretary and the Brownite Cooper as Shadow Home Secretary. That does suggest Starmer is making efforts to make Labour more centrist after its heavy defeat in 2019 under Corbyn.

However, it was also a clear promotion for Remainers. He replaced Nandy with a fervent People's Vote campaigner in Lammy and alongside Starmer and Reeves most of Labour's top team were diehard Remainers until the 2019 general election. Streeting, also a diehard Remainer, meanwhile came into the Shadow Cabinet as Education Secretary.

How that goes down in 63% Leave Bexley in the by election tomorrow remains to be seen

I broadly agree on centrist aspects, but I'm not really sure on the Remainer bit. Yes, a lot of Labour centrists backed Starmer's (and Corbyn's, but clearly Starmer was the architect) flawed policy of reopening the issue rather than settling Brexit on the best possible terms in 2019. But it's yesterday's debate.

On Nandy, I don't actually see it as a demotion. Foreign Secretary is one of the great offices of state, but Shadow Foreign Secretary isn't all that much of a thing - you criticise diplomatic missteps, but the big foreign affairs issues are all pinched by your boss, and the policy development issues aren't that huge.

Nandy is a good tactical choice to shadow Gove - she's a capable operator and does manage to convey a northern authenticity which is tricky for Gove, who is a good in terms of grip on his brief and policy generation ability (hence why he's been brought in to sort out the mess of levelling up, which has never really got beyond the level of Johnson slogan so far), but is a hard to like southerner.
    The woman who helped write the Con 2019 Manifesto says Boris is relying on a "Hanging Baskets" strategy - as long as people see their towns looking a bit better than they did in 2019, that is enough. So 40 New Hospitals" might not be true, but if the local hospital has been refurbished, that's a win. Labour can say "But you said there'd be 40 new hospitals" and the Tories will just point to the the local improvements, is the theory. A bit like "we send £350m a week to the EU"
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sorry but I now can't get this out of my head - 12 Angry Men as PB argument cum jury deliberation. I picture a man called Boris on trial and the charge is "Putting a Border in the Irish Sea". It looks a slam dunk - he did it - and when the jury retire they agree. However it's not quite unanimous. It's 11 to 1 for Guilty. But that one is the indefatigable Philip Thompson - played not by Henry Fonda but by Christian Bale - and he sees it differently. Cue an interminable debate, back & forth, forth & back, as he first refuses to concede and then, slowly, relentlessly, grinds the others down, forces them to say everything 10 times, then rebuts it 10 times, till they are faced with the choice of killing him, which is a world of trouble, or caving in and agreeing. Which they do, they change their vote and Boris goes free.

LOL!

Considering I put all 3 Dark Knight movies in my top 10, I'm quite honoured to be played by Christian Bale.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    rcs1000 said:

No Trainspotting love?

Great film.
    moonshine said:

On sequels and remakes.

Bourne Supremacy > Bourne Identity
    The Departed > Internal Affairs
    Attack of the Clones > Phantom Menace (maybe)

Also both Spiderman 2 and Spiderman Homecoming are superior to Spiderman 1. Haven’t seen the Garfield ones.

ITV4 did the Mad Max season a few weeks back. Mad Max 2 is a great film, though the original is an under recognised gem.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216
    MattW said:

Bring back the death penalty for this wanker.

A man who put superglue on the lock of a Covid-19 vaccination centre, preventing 504 people from getting jabs, has been jailed for 12 weeks.

Hayden Brown, 53, of Burgh Road, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, squirted glue into the keyhole of the centre's door on 26 November.

It meant the premises in Lowestoft Road, Gorleston, could not be opened.

Brown admitted criminal damage and causing a public nuisance at Norwich Magistrates' Court.

He was arrested on Tuesday after being identified in footage from cameras that had been installed following two previous incidents earlier in November.

Supt Nathan Clark said that a "large number" of the 504 people who were affected were elderly.

"This disruption will have caused great anxiety to those who have chosen to be vaccinated and then not able to attend," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-59493747

Good on the Court for 3 months in prison.
    IIRC no one sentenced to 3 month in prison has done 3 months in prison. In a couple of decades....
  • Options

Leon said:

Musicals

MY FAIR LADY
    OLIVER
    GUYS AND DOLLS
    ALL THAT JAZZ
    WEST SIDE STORY
    CABARET
    BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
    BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
    SINGING IN THE RAIN
    BUGSY MALONE

Dunno about Bohemian Rhapsody. It's a plodding biopic with a great finale which is more-or-less a shot-for-shot remake of Live Aid.
    I don't get why Remi Malek got an Oscar for lip-synching when Taron Egerton actually sang in Rocketman.

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243
    rcs1000 said:

Not enough full on comedies on these lists either. Superbad and Hangover both instant classics of American comedy from recent years. Hot Fuzz I think is the best British comedy since 2000, although I do have a soft spot for Yesterday.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited December 2021

HYUFD said:

The big 3 offices of state are Foreign, Home and Chancellor, it was a demotion for Nandy with Starmer just giving her the levelling up job as a consolation prize. The fact Nandy, who accepted the Brexit result, was replaced with a People's Vote campaigner in Lammy was a clear shift to a more Remain stance by the Labour leadership. That suggests Brexit is far from over, if Starmer becomes PM with SNP and LD support it would be a much more diluted Brexit with the UK closely aligned to both the SM and CU.

• Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,420
    I think the only chance the Tories have in North Shropshire is to big up the back-story of their candidate who seems impressive.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/health/coronavirus-covid19/2021/12/01/tory-candidate-in-north-shropshire-by-election-signs-up-to-help-booster-jab-effort/

"Dr Shastri-Hurst is a former NHS surgeon who trained locally at the Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Hospital in Oswestry.

He previously returned to the NHS to help people at a Major trauma service as well as delivering jabs as a vaccinator."
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

The Truman Show is a great film imo. Also one I watched ages ago, only on TV and only once, a Dutch psycho-chiller called The Golden Egg, which if the test of a film is how long it stays on your mind is easily the best I've ever seen.

Not doing a Top 10 (as I'm rubbish at remembering lists - I'd make a list and then amend it every time someome mentioned a good film I'd forgotten).

But in niche but good films, not necessarily top ten, but worth a watch:
    - End of Sentence (recentish, I think - father-son road trip after death of mother, but much better than that suggests)
    - Head On (English title)/ Gegen die Wand (German - 'Against the wall') from ealry 2000s, I think. Random late night watch on telly, but a fascinating piece of work
    Oh and The Lives of Others and Goodbye Lenin (not mentioned by others?). Starting to think I'm just a sucker for German cinema....
    Yes, the Lives of Others is a cracking film, as well as an exemplar portrayal of a remarkable piece of history.

As it’s Xmas, surely Great Escape has to be in the mix.

I’d also add:

Dances with Wolves
    Black Book
    Shooting Dogs
    Enemy at the Gates
    Fury
    Zelary
    Closely Observed Trains
    Il Divo

Not that those are particularly Christmassy, although no less so than Die Hard.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Films that used to be great but now aren't, top 1.

Taxi Driver.

I rewatched this classic recently and all the glitter has worn off. It has more-or-less the same plot as Joker, and the lone vigilante is almost a film cliche. You're left with one memorable line and Jodie Foster as an underage pro. Too influential for its own good, perhaps? Oh, and there is an election campaign in the background so good for pb.

Difficult, as it is a film that has become so well known that it becomes a cliche rather than recognised as the pioneer that it was.

The King of Comedy is much the better Scorsese film, I think, from only a couple of years later, but much the lesser known. I only came it across it again recently because I saw it on the MUBI subscription service, which I hugely recommend to anyone interested in international as well as less commercial cinema, along with the BFI's streaming service.
    Yes MUBI is fantastic, a real education. I like BFI player too, but the streams on MUBI seem more robust. Both are far better than Netflix or Amazon Prime, though Netflix does do an interesting range of Nollywood films.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894
    moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Not enough full on comedies on these lists either. Superbad and Hangover both instant classics of American comedy from recent years. Hot Fuzz I think is the best British comedy since 2000, although I do have a soft spot for Yesterday.
    There's Something About Mary would be my Desert Island Film if I could only watch one. A love story, hilariously funny, where the good guy gets the gal
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Astounding that more people would put Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels in their top ten than would put Rear Window.

You people.

My list is favourite films not already done, and I’m ashamed to admit I haven’t seen Rear Window; I will rectify the error this evening.

On that subject, has anyone mentioned Twelve Angry Men yet?
    Oh my goodness, Twelve Angry Men is even better than Rear Window.

But seriously, Rear Window is magical. Everything is spot on. Hitchcock could make magnificent films in incredibly limited settings. See also Rope. I believe both are the same in the way that they're set almost entirely in a single room (or looking out from it).
    Re "Twelve Angry Men" for years have sought backing for a fresh take combining two proven winners:
    >>> Twelve Angry Muppets

With Kermit as foreman, and Ms Piggy as a fellow juror AND old flame. Critical triumph AND box office boffo!

On slightly more serious note, if not yet mentioned check out another Hitchcockian classic -"North by Northwest"
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

JBriskin3 said:

Aslan said:

Top 10 movies:

Bladerunner 2049
    The Godfather (Parts I and II)
    The Shawshank Redemption
    The Constant Gardener
    The Road
    Fight Club
    Aliens
    Apocalypse Now!
    Pulp Fiction
    Road to Perdition

Glad to see Fight Club has made it to someones list.

Pulp Fiction is another cracker.

Bladerunner 2049 is one of the few films I own on DVD - pretty slooooow going on the the re-watch.
    According to this site@
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFI_Top_100_British_films
    the only Carry On film which makes it into the top 100 British Films is Carry On up the Khyber.

Which, on reflection, would be my choice. Well, I'm not sure about best, but perhaps 'most archetypal'. It also has the most Carry On title.

I'm struggling to think of 10 films I'd have in my top 10. My top 2 would be:

24 Hour Party People
    Local Hero

and the other 8 might include:

Whisky Galore
    Sleuth
    The Railway Children
    Shallow Grave
    The Royal Tenenbaums
    Airplane
    LA Story
    Hmm, which WG and which RC?
    There are more than one? I think I mean the originals of each. The only WG I've seen was so primitively shot it was quite hard to make out what was going on; I can't imagine that was a remake. And the RC I know dates from well before I was born.
    "Daddy, my Daddy!". Welling up now just thinking about it.
    Awwww!

There's actually a Gregor Fisher/Eddie Izzard remake of WG which I have not seen; ditto of RC with Jenny Agutter as mother this time (had bought it for our niece without looking further than her name, and was very cheesed to discover it wasn't the original).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4769214/
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0215111/
    I've seen the WG remake (think it was on iplayer maybe). Not great, not terrible. I don't need to see it again. Izzard was pretty good. I haven't seen the original, but have read the book, which was fun (while staying on Barra - it was one of those left in the holiday let).
    I need to reread it - long time - but as TUD remarked recently here the author Compton Mackenzie who knew his locals so it will be interesting to see how he approached the book; certainly more sensitive than at least one contemporary I can think of.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2021
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Films that used to be great but now aren't, top 1.

Taxi Driver.

I rewatched this classic recently and all the glitter has worn off. It has more-or-less the same plot as Joker, and the lone vigilante is almost a film cliche. You're left with one memorable line and Jodie Foster as an underage pro. Too influential for its own good, perhaps? Oh, and there is an election campaign in the background so good for pb.

Difficult, as it is a film that has become so well known that it becomes a cliche rather than recognised as the pioneer that it was.

The King of Comedy is much the better Scorsese film, I think, from only a couple of years later, but much the lesser known. I only came it across it again recently because I saw it on the MUBI subscription service, which I hugely recommend to anyone interested in international as well as less commercial cinema, along with the BFI's streaming service.
    Yes MUBI is fantastic, a real education. I like BFI player too, but the streams on MUBI seem more robust. Both are far better than Netflix or Amazon Prime, though Netflix does do an interesting range of Nollywood films.
    I got fed up with some very formulaic dramas on Netflix, and so searched for more interesting streaming services, and found MUBI. It does indeed show a great range of newer and older films.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,248
    edited December 2021
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Unlike the last time this was brilliant from Starmer.

He's managed to get as much wisdom as he can around the table. The left has been hugely weakened, but they'll not point to why.
    Starmer's pointless dig at Angela Rayner was an own goal. Labour needs people who can hammer the Tories and whether you like her or not, Rayner has been cutting through. And she is not even that left-wing.
    Ah yes, I totally agree that his handling of Rayner is a bit odd. I suspect that there's something we don't know there.

Rayner is a capable politician.
    She seems a loose cannon who is more comfortable preaching to the choir (against "Tory scum" etc) than winning converts.

As well as the fact he pretty clearly distrusts her, I don't think she and Starmer agree on fundamental approach. What he wants to do is detoxify ("not Corbyn's party"), convey competence ("ready to govern"), and separate Tory voters from Tory politicians in quite a targeted way (a "lions led by donkeys" message). Rayner is more of a tub-thumper - generate a wave of righteous rage in order to win.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Trainspotting 1 for me.
    I walked out after 10 minutes when I realised it didn't do exactly what it says on the tin. Not a Platform 5 book in sight.

(Actually, I've never seen it.)
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    MattW said:

kinabalu said:

Coincidentally I was chatting to my wife earlier today - which we still do even though we've been together a while - about which we thought were the best CHRISTMAS movies. I said the usual, she added in the usual, but then she really took me aback with her last one, which was Die Hard. First I've heard of that being considered a Christmas movie but she's adamant it is. People can surprise you sometimes, even those you think you know well.

That's something that PC types have been flapping about for years. It's a perennial on the Guardian's kronky outrage bus.

Up there with Winterval.
    It's not Christmas until someone has thrown Alan Rickman off a building....

• Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Astounding that more people would put Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels in their top ten than would put Rear Window.

You people.

My list is favourite films not already done, and I’m ashamed to admit I haven’t seen Rear Window; I will rectify the error this evening.

But seriously, Rear Window is magical. Everything is spot on. Hitchcock could make magnificent films in incredibly limited settings. See also Rope. I believe both are the same in the way that they're set almost entirely in a single room (or looking out from it).
    Re "Twelve Angry Men" for years have sought backing for a fresh take combining two proven winners:
    >>> Twelve Angry Muppets

With Kermit as foreman, and Ms Piggy as a fellow juror AND old flame. Critical triumph AND box office boffo!

On slightly more serious note, if not yet mentioned check out another Hitchcockian classic -"North by Northwest"
    On that subject, The Muppet Christmas Carol is the best Christmas movie ever!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Trainspotting 1 for me.
    I walked out after 10 minutes when I realised it didn't do exactly what it says on the tin. Not a Platform 5 book in sight.

(Actually, I've never seen it.)
    The name comes from the local slang for shooting up in a local derelict building - which happened to be Leith Central passenger railway station I think (but IMDB would confirm: the railway network and interconnections of the NBR and Caley are extremely confusing in that airt).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The big 3 offices of state are Foreign, Home and Chancellor, it was a demotion for Nandy with Starmer just giving her the levelling up job as a consolation prize. The fact Nandy, who accepted the Brexit result, was replaced with a People's Vote campaigner in Lammy was a clear shift to a more Remain stance by the Labour leadership. That suggests Brexit is far from over, if Starmer becomes PM with SNP and LD support it would be a much more diluted Brexit with the UK closely aligned to both the SM and CU.

Shad Foreign was a daft job to give Nandy in the first place. She's much better placed now. Queen of the North.

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    Foxy said:

Two famous comedies, the Marx Brothers "A Night at the Opera" and Chaplin's "The Great Dictator" were first shown during trying years, 1935 and 1940, respectively.

Perhaps we could use some more comedies, now.

(I am not enough of a movie buff to list ten favorites, but I do suggest that those who are include a few more comedies in their lists.)

I have seen it many times, but Borat gets me laughing every time!
    Personally I would love to see an Isis or Taliban version of The Producers.

It is definitely required.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

He's managed to get as much wisdom as he can around the table. The left has been hugely weakened, but they'll not point to why.
    Starmer's pointless dig at Angela Rayner was an own goal. Labour needs people who can hammer the Tories and whether you like her or not, Rayner has been cutting through. And she is not even that left-wing.
    Ah yes, I totally agree that his handling of Rayner is a bit odd. I suspect that there's something we don't know there.

She seems a loose cannon who is more comfortable preaching to the choir (against "Tory scum" etc) than winning converts.

As well as the fact he pretty clearly distrusts her, I don't think she and Starmer agree on fundamental approach. What he wants to do is detoxify, convey competence, and separate Tory voters from Tory politicians in quite a targeted way (a "lions led by donkeys" message). Rayner is more of a tub-thumper - generate rage in order to win.
    If he can't work out the way to mend fences with Rayner then he's not over the first hurdle of potentially being PM.

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Foxy said:

Two famous comedies, the Marx Brothers "A Night at the Opera" and Chaplin's "The Great Dictator" were first shown during trying years, 1935 and 1940, respectively.

(I am not enough of a movie buff to list ten favorites, but I do suggest that those who are include a few more comedies in their lists.)

I think he is an unpleasant bully. It's funny, mind, just as fear and loathing in Las Vegas is funny (the book, not seen the film) but is about 2 unpleasant bullies

Mind you the nude wrestling in Borat is the greatest 3 minutes in the whole of cinema
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

As well as the fact he pretty clearly distrusts her, I don't think she and Starmer agree on fundamental approach. What he wants to do is detoxify ("not Corbyn's party"), convey competence ("ready to govern"), and separate Tory voters from Tory politicians in quite a targeted way (a "lions led by donkeys" message). Rayner is more of a tub-thumper - generate a wave of righteous rage in order to win.
    Rayner is Starmer's John Prescott, a token sop to the left and working class and unions, having a grand position as Deputy Leader and Shadow First Secretary of State but little actual power. Prescott of course even in the New Labour years ended every Labour conference with a tub thumping speech ranting at the Tories to the party activists delight, much as Rayner will do
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Foxy said:

MattW said:

Bring back the death penalty for this wanker.

A man who put superglue on the lock of a Covid-19 vaccination centre, preventing 504 people from getting jabs, has been jailed for 12 weeks.

Hayden Brown, 53, of Burgh Road, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, squirted glue into the keyhole of the centre's door on 26 November.

It meant the premises in Lowestoft Road, Gorleston, could not be opened.

Brown admitted criminal damage and causing a public nuisance at Norwich Magistrates' Court.

He was arrested on Tuesday after being identified in footage from cameras that had been installed following two previous incidents earlier in November.

Supt Nathan Clark said that a "large number" of the 504 people who were affected were elderly.

"This disruption will have caused great anxiety to those who have chosen to be vaccinated and then not able to attend," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-59493747

Good on the Court for 3 months in prison.
    Well he'll be out in three weeks on HDC.
    Unless someone superglues the locks...
    It's still a relatively firm sentence for the bastard, not a wrist slap.

Does this cause him visa problems in the future?
  • Options
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

The woman who helped write the Con 2019 Manifesto says Boris is relying on a "Hanging Baskets" strategy - as long as people see their towns looking a bit better than they did in 2019, that is enough. So 40 New Hospitals" might not be true, but if the local hospital has been refurbished, that's a win. Labour can say "But you said there'd be 40 new hospitals" and the Tories will just point to the the local improvements, is the theory. A bit like "we send £350m a week to the EU"
    It's been clear for a while that Levelling Up would come down to a Hanging Baskets Fund. Maybe that will work out for them, undoing a thousand years of structural regional inequalities is hard, and people like flowers.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Foxy said:

The original The Producers is also amongst the funniest films ever made.
  • Options
    eek said:

IanB2 said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

The Truman Show is a great film imo. Also one I watched ages ago, only on TV and only once, a Dutch psycho-chiller called The Golden Egg, which if the test of a film is how long it stays on your mind is easily the best I've ever seen.

Not doing a Top 10 (as I'm rubbish at remembering lists - I'd make a list and then amend it every time someome mentioned a good film I'd forgotten).

- End of Sentence (recentish, I think - father-son road trip after death of mother, but much better than that suggests)
    - Head On (English title)/ Gegen die Wand (German - 'Against the wall') from ealry 2000s, I think. Random late night watch on telly, but a fascinating piece of work
    Oh and The Lives of Others and Goodbye Lenin (not mentioned by others?). Starting to think I'm just a sucker for German cinema....
    Yes, the Lives of Others is a cracking film, as well as an exemplar portrayal of a remarkable piece of history.

I’d also add:

Dances with Wolves
    Black Book
    Shooting Dogs
    Enemy at the Gates
    Fury
    Zelary
    Closely Observed Trains
    Il Divo

The best Christmas movie is (and always will be) Muppet Christmas Carol.
    I prefer It's A Wonderful Life, but the Muppet Christmas Carol is certainly the best screen adaptation of Dickens.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Leon said:

WITHNAIL AND I
    SPINAL TAP
    INSIDE OUT
    THE EXORCIST
    LA LA LAND
    SOUND OF MUSIC
    THE WICKER MAN
    ANDREI RUBLYEV
    RATATOUILLE

ANDREI RUBLYEV Well done Leon! not only passions and struggles of an artist, but concerns of the whole nation during times of political change and upheaval. This is where art can improve the lives of people living in the same time, so fart can be compared with religion, serving similar goals. Art and faith can provide solace to people, giving them hope and strength. Art exists to help us deal with the world’s imperfections. 👍🏻
  • Options
    There are loads of famous "great" movies I haven't watched so my list is probably a bit odd. My list is the films I've watched the most times. I think I saw them all for the first time in my teens excepts Raiders.

Goodfellas
    Pulp Fiction
    Withnail & I
    Groundhog Day
    Dazed And Confused
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    The Blues Brothers
    White Men Can't Jump
    Good Morning, Vietnam
    Point Break

Culled from my original too long list were Life Of Brian, Forrest Gump and The Commitments
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Part of the fun in watching Hot Fuzz is trying to identify the great variety of rifles, pistols, revolvers, sub machine guns and mines which have supporting roles.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

On fillums I enjoyed the original version of Rififi though not quite "great".
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902
    The Christmas parties fear is completely irrational.

There are 32 omicron cases in the UK. On current trends there might be a few hundred by the time the works party season ends in a fortnight.

Thirty two.

Three two.

FFS.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021
    BBC news...

I was refused a booster for being too young'
    A 34-year-old woman says she is "livid" after being turned away from a booster jab walk-in centre for being too young.

Heidi Bird, a nutrition scientist in London, tells the BBC she had queued at a pharmacy in Hampstead, North London with other young people who also got turned away.

"I asked the pharmacist why and he said the system is not set up to handle these at the moment," she says.

The UK has been dragging its heels on this. All my friends in Europe have been vaccinated.

----

The head of NHS made it absolutely clear yesterday that is not how it works. It going in age grouping. Your friends been vaccinated, but I doubt boostered.

Why are the BBC even reporting this ranty lady?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

You people.

>>> Twelve Angry Muppets

On that subject, The Muppet Christmas Carol is the best Christmas movie ever!
    Certainly one of the best adaptations of the book.
  • Options
    On the subject of sequels that are better than the originals, I'd nominate Toy Story 3 and the Empire Strikes Back. Manon des Sources too (Emanuelle Beart occupied my fevered teenage imagination for some time).
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Coincidentally I was chatting to my wife earlier today - which we still do even though we've been together a while - about which we thought were the best CHRISTMAS movies. I said the usual, she added in the usual, but then she really took me aback with her last one, which was Die Hard. First I've heard of that being considered a Christmas movie but she's adamant it is. People can surprise you sometimes, even those you think you know well.

Die Hard is absolute rubbish. Compare it to the four Brothers. No comparison. One is a proper action movie, the other a waste of time. Better still read the die hard book, you realise in the first few paragraphs of this all American hero, former quarterback etc, that it’s complete waste of time.

Whenever it’s on it’s rubbish.

No Bruce Willis, no stickups, no terrorists and no pat happy endings! Thank you. 😄
  • Options

isam said:

HYUFD said:

It's been clear for a while that Levelling Up would come down to a Hanging Baskets Fund. Maybe that will work out for them, undoing a thousand years of structural regional inequalities is hard, and people like flowers.
    My town has I think 62m under the Towns' Fund, which is substantial and way more than 'hanging baskets', but tactics not strategy.

HS2 is still required, and significant rebalancing of the tax system.

And we need the Govt to stop pissing away the future key sectors of our economy, and build them instead.
  • Options

BBC news...

A 34-year-old woman says she is "livid" after being turned away from a booster jab walk-in centre for being too young.

Heidi Bird, a nutrition scientist in London, tells the BBC she had queued at a pharmacy in Hampstead, North London with other young people who also got turned away.

"I asked the pharmacist why and he said the system is not set up to handle these at the moment," she says.

The UK has been dragging its heels on this. All my friends in Europe have been vaccinated.

----

The head of NHS made it absolutely clear yesterday that is not how it works. It going in age grouping. Your friends been vaccinated, but I doubt boostered.

On that one she needs to go home and punch herself in the head for being stupid.

Unless she is Clinically Vulnerable, perhaps.
  • Options

There are 32 omicron cases in the UK. On current trends there might be a few hundred by the time the works party season ends in a fortnight.

Thirty two.

Three two.

FFS.

Up from 13 yesterday, and those just the diagnosed cases. For every one of those there will be a dozen or more seeded...
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359

There are loads of famous "great" movies I haven't watched so my list is probably a bit odd. My list is the films I've watched the most times. I think I saw them all for the first time in my teens excepts Raiders.

Goodfellas
    Pulp Fiction
    Withnail & I
    Groundhog Day
    Dazed And Confused
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    The Blues Brothers
    White Men Can't Jump
    Good Morning, Vietnam
    Point Break

Culled from my original too long list were Life Of Brian, Forrest Gump and The Commitments

Oh yes, I'll add Groundhog Day to my list too. Brilliant concept, brilliantly acted by Bill Murray. Slightly let down by Andy McDowell who I just don't get as a leading lady - she is always at least slightly annoying - but only slightly. And while I'm about it, Lost in Translation. Though I've not seen it for years, and I'm now worried it might not age well.
  • Options

Goodfellas
    Pulp Fiction
    Withnail & I
    Groundhog Day
    Dazed And Confused
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    The Blues Brothers
    White Men Can't Jump
    Good Morning, Vietnam
    Point Break

Groundhog Day is one of those films you could watch every single day.
    There's a film on your list and on others' though which I really couldn't get into. Withnail and I. I couldn't even finish watching it, I found it so utterly unfunny. I don't know what it is, lots of people seem to love itbut it left me totally cold. I also hate Love Actually but I think that's a more widely held view.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Thirty two.

Three two.

FFS.

Up from 13 yesterday, and those just the diagnosed cases. For every one of those there will be a dozen or more seeded...
    No, up from 22 yesterday. At this rate there will be a few hundred by the time the works party season ends in a fortnight.
  • Options
    Peter Openshaw from Sage tells ITV News that he wouldn’t feel safe at a Christmas party.

Would he have felt safe at a Christmas party were it held a week ago?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited December 2021

Thirty two.

Three two.

FFS.

I’m pretty sure there will be more than “a few hundred” in a fortnight’s time.

Fancy a bet?

15th Dec. Under/over 400 @ evens

I’ll take the overs. Stake up to £100
  • Options

Leon said:

WITHNAIL AND I
    SPINAL TAP
    INSIDE OUT
    THE EXORCIST
    LA LA LAND
    SOUND OF MUSIC
    THE WICKER MAN
    ANDREI RUBLYEV
    RATATOUILLE

ANDREI RUBLYEV Well done Leon! not only passions and struggles of an artist, but concerns of the whole nation during times of political change and upheaval. This is where art can improve the lives of people living in the same time, so fart can be compared with religion, serving similar goals. Art and faith can provide solace to people, giving them hope and strength. Art exists to help us deal with the world’s imperfections. 👍🏻
    Typical. I done a fart in the middle of my most profoundest thinking. 🤦‍♀️
  • Options

Goodfellas
    Pulp Fiction
    Withnail & I
    Groundhog Day
    Dazed And Confused
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    The Blues Brothers
    White Men Can't Jump
    Good Morning, Vietnam
    Point Break

There's a film on your list and on others' though which I really couldn't get into. Withnail and I. I couldn't even finish watching it, I found it so utterly unfunny. I don't know what it is, lots of people seem to love itbut it left me totally cold. I also hate Love Actually but I think that's a more widely held view.
    I hated Love Actually, but not as much as I expected to. Whereas my then girlfriend, who expected to love it, really, really hated it.
    I suspect coming at it cold she would have liked it more than me, but it's the old difference between expectation and reality.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Let’s say there is 1,000 cases by 18 Dec. And that Foxy is right that each of those indicates 12 others per case.

13,000 omicronians by 18 Dec, active and recovered.

Out of a population of 68 million.

Maths lessons required perhaps for Sage and iSage talking heads who feel “unsafe” at Christmas parties?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Rayner is Starmer's John Prescott, a token sop to the left and working class and unions, having a grand position as Deputy Leader and Shadow First Secretary of State but little actual power. Prescott of course even in the New Labour years ended every Labour conference with a tub thumping speech ranting at the Tories to the party activists delight, much as Rayner will do
    (John) "Prescott" and "tub thumping" in the same sentence without reference in either case to Chumbawamba is genius, respect!
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Part of the fun in watching Hot Fuzz is trying to identify the great variety of rifles, pistols, revolvers, sub machine guns and mines which have supporting roles.

Mine horns don't work like that..... etc etc
  • Options

I’m

go on...?
  • Options

BBC news...

----

Obviously, it is far from absolutely clear what the new plan is. The old plan (booster after six (or five) months) would naturally follow the original roll-out which was by clinical need and age. Headlines for the new plan were that all adults should be jabbed. I can't blame ranty lady or anyone else for missing the small print.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

BBC news...

----

Obviously, it is far from absolutely clear what the new plan is. The old plan (booster after six (or five) months) would naturally follow the original roll-out which was by clinical need and age. Headlines for the new plan were that all adults should be jabbed. I can't blame ranty lady or anyone else for missing the small print.
    It was absolutely clear at the press conference, under 40, wait to be contacted, and on the NHS website. There is a huge yellow box....which she would have had to go on to find the walk in centre.

And again why are the BBC even reporting this. I am sure vaccination centres get idiots every day trying to get jabbed who don't have an appointment or aren't eligible. And they report the nonsense about well europe are doing loads of boosters, UK government are crap....which is just false.
  • Options

On the subject of sequels that are better than the originals, I'd nominate Toy Story 3 and the Empire Strikes Back. Manon des Sources too (Emanuelle Beart occupied my fevered teenage imagination for some time).

Many probably wouldn’t say Raiders 2 but that fighting on two little train tracks through tunnels scene, how the hell did they film that?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    edited December 2021
    IanB2 said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

I’d also add:

Dances with Wolves
    Black Book
    Shooting Dogs
    Enemy at the Gates
    Fury
    Zelary
    Closely Observed Trains
    Il Divo

Gladiator has to be up there, Braveheart , Rooster Cogburn, spaghetti westerns with Clint Eastwood , The Untouchables, Road to Perdition to name but a few , oh Tintin and the Lone ranger with Johnny Depp and all Pirates of the Caribbean, Kidnapped

PS: Inspector Closeau films.
    Will stop there or be here all night
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    edited December 2021

Goodfellas
    Pulp Fiction
    Withnail & I
    Groundhog Day
    Dazed And Confused
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    The Blues Brothers
    White Men Can't Jump
    Good Morning, Vietnam
    Point Break

DITTO !!!

Thanks for going first with that. Withnail a total no no.

But one the other way - I noted you had SLIH. That did not make me laugh very much. I know it's deemed a classic but, nope, not for me.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Goodfellas
    Pulp Fiction
    Withnail & I
    Groundhog Day
    Dazed And Confused
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    The Blues Brothers
    White Men Can't Jump
    Good Morning, Vietnam
    Point Break

Same about Withnail. And same about Spinal Tap actually. Both could be rather dull documentaries about dull people.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

I think he is an unpleasant bully. It's funny, mind, just as fear and loathing in Las Vegas is funny (the book, not seen the film) but is about 2 unpleasant bullies

Mind you the nude wrestling in Borat is the greatest 3 minutes in the whole of cinema
    I find him a mind numbingly boring barsteward
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,522

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Shad Foreign was a daft job to give Nandy in the first place. She's much better placed now. Queen of the North.

I like that. Andy and Lisa - King and Queen of the North. Get the spin doctors on it.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,708
    edited December 2021
    A question for the techies:

Should I be upgrading my IPhone to iOS 15?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    Of course we have forgotten that vital film category - films you wouldn't dare watch or admit to watching unless on an aeroplane.

Grimsby for me.

Was crying with laughter the whole way through many snorts as well the other passengers thought I was mad.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    IshmaelZ said:

Goodfellas
    Pulp Fiction
    Withnail & I
    Groundhog Day
    Dazed And Confused
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    The Blues Brothers
    White Men Can't Jump
    Good Morning, Vietnam
    Point Break

Same about Withnail. And same about Spinal Tap actually. Both could be rather dull documentaries about dull people.
    +2 on Withnail. For Spinal Tap I think it helps if you are really into that period of music.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    HYUFD said:
    I trust your prediction for NS remains unchanged.
  • Options
    BBC News - Covid Omicron: Time to consider mandatory jabs, EU chief says
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59497462
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,708
    IshmaelZ said:

Goodfellas
    Pulp Fiction
    Withnail & I
    Groundhog Day
    Dazed And Confused
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    The Blues Brothers
    White Men Can't Jump
    Good Morning, Vietnam
    Point Break

No ... Withnail and I is hilarious.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    IanB2 said:
    If Boris holds Old Bexley and Sidcup reasonably comfortably he can brush off even a loss in North Shropshire as a Paterson protest vote
  • Options
    Re: movies, am nominating "Stagecoach" (1939) directed by John Ford, classic western staring John Wayne and other great actors, and featuring Yakima Canute doing some amazing, ground-breaking stunt work.

Also "UHF" (1989) from the wild mind of Weird Al Yankovic.
  • Options

Peter Openshaw from Sage tells ITV News that he wouldn’t feel safe at a Christmas party.

Would he have felt safe at a Christmas party were it held a week ago?

Has he ever felt safe at a Xmas party?
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Stocky said:

A question for the techies:

Should I be upgrading my IPhone to iOS 15?

Have any actually useful new features come out in the last... decade. Updates now just seem to be security and making sure phones slow down enough to force people to buy new ones.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I like that. Andy and Lisa - King and Queen of the North. Get the spin doctors on it.
    Of course, Tracy Brabin may also claim the crown.

Queen of West Yorkshire, anyway.
  • Options
    Omicron was in the UK days before South Africa warned the world of the new Covid variant, it has emerged after the majority of cases in Scotland were linked to a single 'event' on November 20.

Mail Online

Looks like it started in Scotland :smiley:
  • Options
    moonshine said:

On sequels and remakes.

Also both Spiderman 2 and Spiderman Homecoming are superior to Spiderman 1. Haven’t seen the Garfield ones.

Attack of the Clones is the worst Star Wars movie, and that's a very low bar to still miss.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

No Trainspotting love?

Great film.
    moonshine said:

On sequels and remakes.

ITV4 did the Mad Max season a few weeks back. Mad Max 2 is a great film, though the original is an under recognised gem.

The problem with a lot of sequels is producers and directors worry about the financials and end up substituting money for ideas. See Alien.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Omicron was in the UK days before South Africa warned the world of the new Covid variant, it has emerged after the majority of cases in Scotland were linked to a single 'event' on November 20.

Mail Online

The Israel earliest case came from somebody who attended a medical conference in London a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Bad Boys 2 is better than Bad Boys.
  • Options
    I think the Withnail haters are being very bald.
  • Options
    Having said earlier that Goodfellas is the best film and soundtrack ever, how about favourite scene ever?
    Travolta and Thurman dancing to You Never Can Tell in Pulp Fiction.
  • Options
    Switzerland reports 10,466 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record
  • Options

Having said earlier that Goodfellas is the best film and soundtrack ever, how about favourite scene ever?

Christopher Walken interrogating Dennis Hopper in True Romance.
  • Options
    Farage's exclusive interview with Donald Trump in Florida at Mar a Lago on GB news just started now
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    edited December 2021
    Foxy said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPXHRX8Q2hs
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farage's exclusive interview with Donald Trump in Florida at Mar a Lago on GB news just started now

Luckily, there are 5000 other channels available.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

Twitter ban...wrrrrrrooooooonnnngggggg....low energy, no excitement, boring, now i am not on it.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

I don't think that's going to make it into my favourite film list.
  • Options

Mail Online

The Israel earliest case came from somebody who attended a medical conference in London a couple of weeks ago.
    London Smog variant?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Who cares
  • Options

Mail Online

COP26 maybe
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Sorry but I now can't get this out of my head - 12 Angry Men as PB argument cum jury deliberation. I picture a man called Boris on trial and the charge is "Putting a Border in the Irish Sea". It looks a slam dunk - he did it - and when the jury retire they agree. However it's not quite unanimous. It's 11 to 1 for Guilty. But that one is the indefatigable Philip Thompson - played not by Henry Fonda but by Christian Bale - and he sees it differently. Cue an interminable debate, back & forth, forth & back, as he first refuses to concede and then, slowly, relentlessly, grinds the others down, forces them to say everything 10 times, then rebuts it 10 times, till they are faced with the choice of killing him, which is a world of trouble, or caving in and agreeing. Which they do, they change their vote and Boris goes free.

But for PT, as he says repeatedly, dying is part of life. So maybe they take the choice of killing him, and stick with convicting Boris.
    PS: I do hope you weren't thinking of American Psycho in suggesting Christian Bale for the PT role.
    The nervy yet oddly deadpan energy of Bale, plus I was going for affectionate send-up there, so I thought I'd pick an ok actor. Who I actually picture in the role is a slightly different matter but anyway ...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:
    If Boris holds Old Bexley and Sidcup reasonably comfortably he can brush off even a loss in North Shropshire as a Paterson protest vote
    I think that's right. Especially as close to xmas, so attention will be elsewhere, e.g. have we got the tree ordered, is there any stuffing left in the shops etc.
  • Options

Stallone training by running though Philly in Rocky.

It was completely unstaged. They (I think Stallone and two others) drove around looking for places for him to run. They couldn't afford any extras, so the people in the market are just real people in a market, and the guy that throws him an orange just did that spontaneously.

When Stallone gets to the top of the steps and starts shadow boxing, they actually play the tape of him doing it in reverse.

And it's got the Rocky theme.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I’m

go on...?
    ...thinking?
  • Options
    edited December 2021

HYUFD said:

Who cares
    Well he leads Biden again in some current 2024 polls, for now, so he cannot be ignored even if you loathe him
  • Options

kinabalu said:

LOL!

Considering I put all 3 Dark Knight movies in my top 10, I'm quite honoured to be played by Christian Bale.
    Yes, I saw your list. Very 'superhero' heavy. Quite strikingly so.
This discussion has been closed.