Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

It’s amazing what latest polls have done to SKS’s confidence – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2021 in General
imageIt’s amazing what latest polls have done to SKS’s confidence – politicalbetting.com

So today we have seen the first major shadow cabinet reshuffle by Keir Starmer underlining the fact that he is very confident now of his position as Labour leader.

Read the full story here

Comments

• maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    First. Bolded sentence is clearly missing it's ending.
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Also your name makes me want to offer a hug.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,865
    Seems a stronger lineup than before. Will the Tories be concerned?
  • Has anyone checked it with Angela?

👍😀
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited November 2021
    Farooq said:

maaarsh said:

Mike Smithson should fire this Mike Smithsob, whoever he is
    He’s Mike Smithson’s mean-ass, sonofabitch brother.

Yes.
  • Seems a stronger lineup than before. Will the Tories be concerned?

They will be under a lot more pressure in the Commons. Cooper hammering Patel. I suspect that Thornberry has been given orders to look at corruption as shadow AG. Nandy will be talking about stuff she knows inside out.

• Cancelling our Valneva order is looking potentially really stupid now there's a new variant threat. I thought it was a bad idea anyway, but if it turns out to be really good vs omicron, as I gather it is against all the previous variants, Kate Bingham will be seriously pissed off.

I thought it was a bad idea to cancel as even if we didn't need it we want a big surplus to help vaccinate the world.

I hope we didn't cancel it because they're French.
  • And if as on cue...

John McDonnell MP
    @johnmcdonnellMP
    ·
    1h
    Reviving the careers of former Blairite ministers & simply reappointing existing Shadow Cabinet ministers to new posts does give the impression of Christmas Past not Christmas Future.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

People won't immediately notice an improvement in shadow ministerial performance, or particularise specific examples of improvement I would think. It's not as though we really have a good way of assessing ministerial or shadow ministerial performance - at least with the former an obvious policy failure would be a potential sign, but even then it might be due to things beyond their control.

But, consistently getting the better of their counterparts would seep through to public consciousness, the mood music would shift a bit as political reports started mentioning it more. So I think the Tories would be concerned. They would be foolish not to be - they should always be concerned at the possibility of their counterparts bettering them, it will help them maintain a higher standard.
    Cooper, Phillipson, Streeting are fantastic choices. Nandy too.

He’s pretty much removed (or reshuffled away from danger) all the numpties as far as I can tell.
    edited November 2021

And if as on cue...

John McDonnell MP
    @johnmcdonnellMP
    ·
    1h
    Reviving the careers of former Blairite ministers & simply reappointing existing Shadow Cabinet ministers to new posts does give the impression of Christmas Past not Christmas Future.

A curious analogy I'd say - the point of the story was surely to learn something from both (and indeed the present), including remembering the good times in the past to avoid a bitter and terrible future?
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Farooq said:

maaarsh said:

Mike Smithson should fire this Mike Smithsob, whoever he is
    He’s Mike Smithson’s mean-ass, sonofabitch brother.
    Obama's Anger Translator
  • kle4 said:

People won't immediately notice an improvement in shadow ministerial performance, or particularise specific examples of improvement I would think. It's not as though we really have a good way of assessing ministerial or shadow ministerial performance - at least with the former an obvious policy failure would be a potential sign, but even then it might be due to things beyond their control.

But, consistently getting the better of their counterparts would seep through to public consciousness, the mood music would shift a bit as political reports started mentioning it more. So I think the Tories would be concerned. They would be foolish not to be - they should always be concerned at the possibility of their counterparts bettering them, it will help them maintain a higher standard.
    I feel this is an appropriate response to the idea that people will be slow to notice how the shadow cabinet perform:

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

And if as on cue...

John McDonnell MP
    @johnmcdonnellMP
    ·
    1h

I thought Cooper was a Brownite?
  • Starmer has made substantial changes and this must largely be his team for the next GE

It does look a better team than previously but Yvette was poor as shadow home secretary and even worse on hips

Time will tell but Corbyn looks to have been vanquished
  • Left are surprising quiet on reshuffle me thinks?

Maybe many don't work on a Monday?
  • I'm interested to see how Bridget Phillipson gets on at Education. I think she'll be good, but could be thrown into some tricky 'woke' issues in that job.
  • Starmer has made substantial changes and this must largely be his team for the next GE

It does look a better team than previously but Yvette was poor as shadow home secretary and even worse on hips

Oh FFS. Not Hips again.

Wait and see how she is with Patel in the Commons in next few months. Forensic demolition comes to my mind.

kle4 said:

I feel this is an appropriate response to the idea that people will be slow to notice how the shadow cabinet perform:
    That's isn't quite what I'd meant. I'm not sure they will be slow to notice it so much as not notice it, but they might notice or be affected by after effects from that performance. I don't watch PMQs or many other tv performances, but if there's a shift in reporting tone because of them I get a sense of it without necessarily knowing what caused it.
  • tlg86 said:

And if as on cue...

John McDonnell MP
    @johnmcdonnellMP
    ·
    1h

Yep. But of course in the McDonnell universe of political theory there are only Tories-Blairites and Marxists revolutionaries. Nothing between.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    edited November 2021
    He does seem more confident, I’d say it was taken from winning B&S. plus he gets to grill Boris over his recent troubles, which he is trained to do.

The new ShadCab does seem stronger too, but as I said on the last thread, is that because we know them better as they are EdMs crew who were on the tv a lot 2010-15 - worth remembering that they only polled 30%, worse than Jezza’s worst
  • tlg86 said:

And if as on cue...

John McDonnell MP
    @johnmcdonnellMP
    ·
    1h

As was Ed Miliband incidently.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    The question surely is, whether these people can put their ‘target’ ministers under pressure. I suspect Cooper will give Priti Patel a run for her money, and I’ve always felt that Thornberry has often been underrated on here.

Oh FFS. Not Hips again.

Wait and see how she is with Patel in the Commons in next few months. Forensic demolition comes to my mind.

Well she is going to need to relate how Labour would deal with the fiendish problem of the channel and more broadly the huge increase in asylum seekers that is inevitable over the next few years

tlg86 said:

And if as on cue...

John McDonnell MP
    @johnmcdonnellMP
    ·
    1h

Yep. But of course in the McDonnell universe of political theory there are only Tories-Blairites and Marxists revolutionaries. Nothing between.
    I reckon there's a few on the conservative side of British politics who see Labour in those terms too.
  • kle4 said:

And if as on cue...

John McDonnell MP
    @johnmcdonnellMP
    ·
    1h

A curious analogy I'd say - the point of the story was surely to learn something from both (and indeed the present), including remembering the good times in the past to avoid a bitter and terrible future?
    If anyone is the Ghost of Christmas past it is the dynamic duo of McDonnell and Corbyn who led Labour at Xmas 2019 to the worst defeat since Culloden.

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753

And if as on cue...

John McDonnell MP
    @johnmcdonnellMP
    ·
    1h

Wow, didn't think it was that good. But pissing off McDonnell shows he is on the right track.
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

That's isn't quite what I'd meant. I'm not sure they will be slow to notice it so much as not notice it, but they might notice or be affected by after effects from that performance. I don't watch PMQs or many other tv performances, but if there's a shift in reporting tone because of them I get a sense of it without necessarily knowing what caused it.
    Fair enough.

Actually, on this blog I was waiting to see who would pipe up with the chemical formula for a feldspar or two (quartz is after all too obvious)…

Oh FFS. Not Hips again.

Well she is going to need to relate how Labour would deal with the fiendish problem of the channel and more broadly the huge increase in asylum seekers that is inevitable over the next few years
    Indeed. Big task. Fiendish job. Big ask. Pleased she said 'yes' to the job.
  • It says something about the dismal paucity on the Labour benches that the best that Starmer can do is reach for some failed retreads of the past.

In the mid 90s in Opposition the Labour Party had Blair, Brown and Mandelson demolishing the government.
    In the late 00s in Opposition the Tory Party had Cameron and Osborne demolishing the government.

Where are the bright young things in the Labour Party able to take apart the government? Are failed Brownites being revived back like a boy band reunion tour the best that can be done?

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Well he’s losing on the measure to a PM that’s in a hole. I had a billion pounds at 8/1 with a mate that Sir Keir would win Best PM this week w R&W too, bah
    You're a troll. And not a very good one!
    All the best with your illness
    Not clever Sam. Whatever the disagreements we all have amongst ourselves on here there are certain things that just aren't acceptable. Not many perhaps but that is definitely one of them.
    I’ve had close friends die from mental illness, and had my moments myself, but why should I be dug out by someone who makes stuff up, claims to be depressed, then gets a free hit when he starts ripping into me? For all I know he’s making it all up or is another poster pretending
    Honest, mate, I can see all that, but just leaaave it aaaaht. not wurf it. Ignore.
    I can see iSam's point as well. We all feel sorry for Correct Horse Wotsit, and hope he gets well, but that doesn't give him free rein to dish out abuse and yet whine when he gets it back. Doesn't work like that

Otherwise we could all pretend to be bipolar alcoholics and demand protection from the tiniest scintilla of criticism
    You of all people should know there are degrees of acceptable and unacceptable behaviour on here. Attacking people for their views or what they say is one thing. Picking on their personal mental or health issues is quite another. CHB called Sam a troll. To reply by referencing personal issues is way over the top. And for the record people have done it to you in the past and I and others have said exactly the same thing then.
    Whatever, yawn

As a more general observation - rereading the thread - there seems an unusual amount of petty bickering and offence-taking by many, even those who are generally more robust. I suspect we are all fucking rattled by Omicron, and truly fearful - if we are honest. This prickly PB atmosphere is a by product

Everyone I have spoken to in the last couple of days is scared. Everyone
    I for one am not scared. Thoroughly fed up of the whole thing, yes, but not scared. I'm not going to start being scared either, unless and until there is a good reason to be scared.

Nor do I think that any of us can afford to be scared every time there's a piece of bad news about the virus. Because there will be a regular stream of bad news about the virus - people mithering about variants, panicking whenever this statistic or that one heads in the wrong direction, poring and clucking over some new piece of research or another - for years. If you get into an endless cycle of pointless panicking it'll drive you round the bend. Totally loopy.

It'll take the boffins some weeks to begin to get to grips with what serious implications - IF ANY - arise from this new variant. In the meantime, the fact that the Zombie Apocalypse hasn't started in Johannesburg, along with the majority of learned opinion, suggests that this is not an unmitigated disaster. And, therefore, the process for dealing with the pandemic in Britain has not fundamentally changed. Keep calm, carry on, and book your next jab as soon as you become eligible.

And I wish they'd not elected to reimpose mask mandates. They're practically worthless, as the evidence of the giant comparative experiment we've been doing since July between England, Wales and Scotland suggests, and the decision has only served to piss off the less nervous part of the population and make the more nervous part of it wet themselves again, to absolutely no useful effect.
    It’s a fair point you make about the masks. The effect of non-FF3 mask wearing in shops is only going to be marginal, the act of their reimposing it had an effect on mental health in terms of reopening again the drumbeat of restrictions returning at any minute.
    I've been meaning to ask, is there any evidence for detrimental mental health effects of people wearing masks in shops? We know that masks save people from infecting others and that the effect is far from "marginal", but I'm intrigued as to whether your other claim is similarly anti-science, a guess, or well-grounded.
    Sorry my post was mangled, I tried to edit it but too late.

I’ll try again: the overall effect of mandating masks in shops is only ever going to be marginal, but the fact they did it affects mental health severely due to the revived spectre of lockdown restrictions being reimposed at any moment.
    On mask efficacy, you're wrong. That's just the science.
    On mental health, I suspect you're wrong, but I asking. I don't think wearing a mask in a supermarket causes any harm, let along severe harm. But I stress that here, I have no science to back me up. It's just an extraordinary claim and I find it a little silly. But I'm prepared to hear evidence to the contrary. That was my question.
    You are entirely - entirely! - missing my point.

I couldn’t care less about wearing a mask in a supermarket. Who cares? It had no effect on my mental health. What I am saying is that the fact that mandates were brought back were in and of themselves damaging to mental health because they again raised the spectre of restrictions being reintroduced at any moment. They revived my fear (and that of others) of severe lockdowns returning even though the new measures themselves were minor.

(And yes, mask mandates in shops is only going to have a marginal effect on R. It will have some effect, but as part of the overall budget it’s pretty minor)
    I think this is a good point and easy to overlook. The argument may well be that such restrictions become necessary regardless of such an impact, we have pretty much all accepted sizable negative personal and economic impacts as the appropriate path for most of the past 2 years, with arguments more around the details.

People have in general proven a lot more resilient and robust in dealing mentally with the unnatural impositions that have been faced to date, and I am sure most would continue to bear it. Nevertheless, I think it is reasonable to consider that the stop start nature of restrictions, or fear of never ending uncertainty around the imposition of restrictions, however justified, is itself a factor. In itself that is not controversial, since despite a rapidly changing situation at times there has been criticism of rules/guidance changing too often for example, for being confusing, recognising slightly slower movement would get greater understanding and compliance, relatively speaking.

That doesn't mean concerns over mental health ovreride any wider public health analysis, but recognition of the impact even of the threat of potential restrictions is something to keep in the mix.

He’s pretty much removed (or reshuffled away from danger) all the numpties as far as I can tell.

I wouldn't want to overstate it but he now has a shadow cabinet with a scintilla of credibility for the first time. I agree with Mike's last sentence too. The next job is to make it clear that they are in for the long haul in their shadow ministry and are expected to get on top of what is happening there and start generating policy options.

The Tories need to up their game and thank the lord for that. They have had an easy ride for too long.

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Fair enough.

Actually, on this blog I was waiting to see who would pipe up with the chemical formula for a feldspar or two (quartz is after all too obvious)…
    Sadly, I genuinely know 1 chemical formula for a feldspar. KAlSi3O8. I didn't know which one it was (Orthoclase, just looked it up), and it's impossible to know that I didn't just google it. I know some weird shit.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Fair enough.

No point, everyone knows the formula for Olivine, so it would be pretty strange to boast about it.

tlg86 said:

And if as on cue...

John McDonnell MP
    @johnmcdonnellMP
    ·
    1h

You mean Tory traitors and true believers, presumably?
  • Farooq said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Fair enough.

Sadly, I genuinely know 1 chemical formula for a feldspar. KAlSi3O8. I didn't know which one it was (Orthoclase, just looked it up), and it's impossible to know that I didn't just google it. I know some weird shit.
    I knew there would be at least one.
  • rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Fair enough.

No point, everyone knows the formula for Olivine, so it would be pretty strange to boast about it.
    But how many feldspars do you know?
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    A good reshuffle from Starmer.

Might start to turn a few heads in terms of reassuring voters Labour look a tad more credible
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Fair enough.

(Na, K)AlSi3O8, you mean?

Feldspars are fun, as one of my lecturers used to say.

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Fair enough.

Sorry to be that guy.
  • Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

And if as on cue...

John McDonnell MP
    @johnmcdonnellMP
    ·
    1h

I reckon there's a few on the conservative side of British politics who see Labour in those terms too.
    Fair point!

And the public too seem to think similarly, look at the electoral winners of the past few decades:

Tory
    Tory
    Tory
    Tory
    Tony
    Tony
    Tony
    Tory
    Tory
    Tory
    Tory

Starmer has made substantial changes and this must largely be his team for the next GE

Oh FFS. Not Hips again.

My understanding is that she's actually bought McDonnell and Corbyn a leaky boat, and they are going to be doing research in seeing how easy it is to row across the channel.

• Farooq said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Fair enough.

Sorry to be that guy.
    You are not alone. Not on PB anyway.

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

And if as on cue...

John McDonnell MP
    @johnmcdonnellMP
    ·
    1h

Fair point!

And the public too seem to think similarly, look at the electoral winners of the past few decades:

Tory
    Tory
    Tory
    Tory
    Tony
    Tony
    Tony
    Tory
    Tory
    Tory
    Tory
    Quite.
    Never mind, John. I'm sure Vladimir or Josef will figure on that list at some point. Chin up.
  • Farooq said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

And if as on cue...

John McDonnell MP
    @johnmcdonnellMP
    ·
    1h

Fair point!

Tory
    Tory
    Tory
    Tory
    Tony
    Tony
    Tony
    Tory
    Tory
    Tory
    Tory
    Quite.
    Never mind, John. I'm sure Vladimir or Josef will figure on that list at some point. Chin up.
    There is after all already one Boris.
  • @bigjohnowls

Please explain :lol:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Fair enough.

But how many feldspars do you know?
    I know Nathan, but not well. My sister knows him better than I do.
  • DavidL said:

I wouldn't want to overstate it but he now has a shadow cabinet with a scintilla of credibility for the first time. I agree with Mike's last sentence too. The next job is to make it clear that they are in for the long haul in their shadow ministry and are expected to get on top of what is happening there and start generating policy options.

The Tories need to up their game and thank the lord for that. They have had an easy ride for too long.
    This is looking more like a government in waiting. Younger, fresher, talented and yet experienced. The contrast with tired, greying, increasingly exhausted ministers like Gove and indeed Johnson himself will start to tell.

A good reshuffle from Starmer.

Might start to turn a few heads in terms of reassuring voters Labour look a tad more credible

It's got me looking twice, and I do like Cooper. But it's still probably a no from me. Still, a step forward.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741

It says something about the dismal paucity on the Labour benches that the best that Starmer can do is reach for some failed retreads of the past.

In the mid 90s in Opposition the Labour Party had Blair, Brown and Mandelson demolishing the government.
    In the late 00s in Opposition the Tory Party had Cameron and Osborne demolishing the government.

Where are the bright young things in the Labour Party able to take apart the government? Are failed Brownites being revived back like a boy band reunion tour the best that can be done?

As you're clearly no fan of the Labour Party or presumably the prospect of a Labour Government, I can appreciate your growing trepidation and realisation the Conservative edifice won't last for ever.

An Opposition front bench aspiring to Government needs a balance of experience and ambition. The experience of those who have served in Government and have seen how Government works is invaluable but that needs to be combined with the youthful aspiration of those wishing not to spend the better part of their careers in the comfy chairs of Opposition.

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

And if as on cue...

John McDonnell MP
    @johnmcdonnellMP
    ·
    1h

Fair point!

Tory
    Tory
    Tory
    Tory
    Tony
    Tony
    Tony
    Tory
    Tory
    Tory
    Tory
    One last heave, comrades. (And then next time, we can have one last heave all over again.)
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited November 2021
    And so this is where Earth observation in Europe gets very messy, with the first of a number of critical meetings that could end up with the UK falling out of @CopernicusEU, the most advanced EO programme in the world. It would be a repeat of #Galileo. 1/n

https://twitter.com/BBCAmos/status/1465443977184874507?s=20

DavidL said:

This is looking more like a government in waiting. Younger, fresher, talented and yet experienced. The contrast with tired, greying, increasingly exhausted ministers like Gove and indeed Johnson himself will start to tell.
    And what about Rishi, Sajid, Kwasi to name a few? This government does have talent to offset the numpties and no longer has some of the complete idiots like Williamson. Its a closer fight, I'll give you that.
  • Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    1m
    TELEGRAPH: Biden: No cause for panic #TomorrowsPapersToday

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    1m

Bugger.
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

And what about Rishi, Sajid, Kwasi to name a few? This government does have talent to offset the numpties and no longer has some of the complete idiots like Williamson. Its a closer fight, I'll give you that.
    The next GE will be a lot closer than many think imho.

I'm not saying Lab will win, but it will be a decent fight. Time for a change will be really resonate by 2023/4.
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Fair enough.

The Quartz is strong with this one!
  • Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    1m

Has any leader ever said “actually I’d panic now if I were you”?
    Wouldn't put it past Boris...Vrrroom Vrrrooom....Panic, no don't panic....erhhhh....Panic.....look Peppa Pig.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206

And so this is where Earth observation in Europe gets very messy, with the first of a number of critical meetings that could end up with the UK falling out of @CopernicusEU, the most advanced EO programme in the world. It would be a repeat of #Galileo. 1/n

https://twitter.com/BBCAmos/status/1465443977184874507?s=20

Fuck em. Walk away, and then send in the OSS to blow up their space rockets

We need to get on the front foot

• Paul Mainwood
    @PaulMainwood
    ·
    2h
    Well, that's nice. Pfizer has confirmed the full 100m (60m + 40m) doses will be delivered before the end of the year.
    This means the UK can complete 12-15 second doses and boost everyone .... even if we leave all the Moderna doses sitting on a shelf.
    (We won't of course.)
    (1/2)
  • How does @bigjohnowls rate Yvette Cooper vs Diane Abbott
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,457
    stodge said:

It says something about the dismal paucity on the Labour benches that the best that Starmer can do is reach for some failed retreads of the past.

As you're clearly no fan of the Labour Party or presumably the prospect of a Labour Government, I can appreciate your growing trepidation and realisation the Conservative edifice won't last for ever.

An Opposition front bench aspiring to Government needs a balance of experience and ambition. The experience of those who have served in Government and have seen how Government works is invaluable but that needs to be combined with the youthful aspiration of those wishing not to spend the better part of their careers in the comfy chairs of Opposition.
    Yes, the predictable few who are suggesting it's a reunion from the Blair/Brown years are utterly mistaken. It's a good mix of the old and the new.

People can have a look at the full list below and draw their own conclusions. Not many were influential in the last Labour government. Here you go:

https://labour.org.uk/people/shadow-cabinet/
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,874

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The next GE will be a lot closer than many think imho.

I'm not saying Lab will win, but it will be a decent fight. Time for a change will be really resonate by 2023/4.
    Quite like a change now, but I’d settle for just changing the pm for now. Almost anyone else.

• Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    Whitehall officials say contingency planning is underway in case more curbs are needed, starting with mandatory masks for all indoor settings.

Officials also examining potential WFH order over Christmas, but some govt insisters suggest it’s unlikely.
    isam said:

He does seem more confident, I’d say it was taken from winning B&S. plus he gets to grill Boris over his recent troubles, which he is trained to do.

The new ShadCab does seem stronger too, but as I said on the last thread, is that because we know them better as they are EdMs crew who were on the tv a lot 2010-15 - worth remembering that they only polled 30%, worse than Jezza’s worst

Two words:

Diane Abbot.

• Paul Mainwood
    @PaulMainwood
    ·
    2h
    Well, that's nice. Pfizer has confirmed the full 100m (60m + 40m) doses will be delivered before the end of the year.
    This means the UK can complete 12-15 second doses and boost everyone .... even if we leave all the Moderna doses sitting on a shelf.
    (We won't of course.)
    (1/2)

I’m assuming 12-15 second doses refers to the age groups and not the time they would take (or worse, last).
  • kle4 said:

The problem is now is that, whilst there is more talent on the Conservative benches than opposite, much of it is excluded from power for not having been on Boris's side before he was PM, and we now have the reserves playing the first team.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2021
    More information of spread in SA from infectious disease academic...

Reason for anecdotal stories of mild symptoms is the initial outbreak is students, particular university students, vast bulk of cases in 10-30 age group. Is spreading rapidly among a population that have high level of immunity either from vaccination or prior infection.

As previously reported hospitalisations are mostly unvaxxed but all far too early to make any statements about severity or change in symptons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T-muMWuSZI

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    Whitehall officials say contingency planning is underway in case more curbs are needed, starting with mandatory masks for all indoor settings.

Officials also examining potential WFH order over Christmas, but some govt insisters suggest it’s unlikely.

We’ve been here before. I’d be alarmed if they weren’t looking at options.
  • It says something about the dismal paucity on the Labour benches that the best that Starmer can do is reach for some failed retreads of the past.

PB's leadng BJ fanboy speaks.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    Kirklees child sexual exploitation: 42 charged by police

https://t.co/w7oK27UWoO

More information of spread in SA from infectious disease academic...

Reason for anecdotal stories of mild symptoms is the initial outbreak is students, particular university students, vast bulk of cases in 10-30 age group. Is spreading rapidly among a population that have high level of immunity either from vaccination or prior infection.

As previously reported hospitalisations are mostly unvaxxed but all far too early to make any statements about severity or change in symptons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T-muMWuSZI

Sounds good to me. Mild symptoms in the faxed or recovered, like most people in the UK? Happy with that.
    isam said:

Kirklees child sexual exploitation: 42 charged by police

https://t.co/w7oK27UWoO

Those bloody Finns again?
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598

And if as on cue...

John McDonnell MP
    @johnmcdonnellMP
    ·
    1h

Sir K must be delighted with all the moaning from the left tonight
  • rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Two words:

Diane Abbot.
    Preferably in the Dead Ringers Andrew Neil voice.

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne

Oh god. It is so inevitably coming. The entire western world will be locked down within 4 weeks
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Fair enough.

Ah the old Solid Solution Series. Not sure I would have called them fun after having had to remember all that stuff for my finals but they were (and still are) nice to look at under the microscope and were always one of the easier rock forming minerals to identify. Particularly Plagioclase.
  • Leon said:

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne

Oh god. It is so inevitably coming. The entire western world will be locked down within 4 weeks
    Probably two weeks.

A good time to go shopping tomorrow.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne

They'd bloody well better be looking at options for compensating hospitality businesses who will suffer if masks / closures / loss of business are mandated again.

I'm interested to see how Bridget Phillipson gets on at Education. I think she'll be good, but could be thrown into some tricky 'woke' issues in that job.

PB favourite Bridget gets a big promotion?! That’s quite an eye catching appointment if she’s got DfE…
    edited November 2021
    Watch as Health Secretary @sajidjavid persuades Sky's chief political correspondent @joncraig
    to get his booster jab while the pair were preparing for an interview at St Thomas' Hospital vaccination centre.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1465443612263649290?s=20

Arrrrhhh big Jon Craig needed his hand holding.
    edited November 2021

DavidL said:

Yet in fact the Cabinet is quite young as far as 11 year governments go it seems. Gove is really the only longstanding figure. Boris is indeed one of the eldest at 57, with only the Scottish and Welsh Secretaries slightly older than him until his recent appointment of Dorries.

Minister Age - Enterered Parliament - First Entered Cabinet (not necessarily been in it consistently since)
    Raab 47 - 2010 - 2018
    Sunak 41 - 2015 - 2020
    Truss 46 - 2010 - 2014
    Patel 49 - 2010 - 2016
    Wallace 50 - 2005 - 2019
    Gove 54 - 2005 - 2010
    Javid 51 - 2010 - 2014
    Barclay 49 - 2010 - 2018
    Kwarteng 46 - 2010 - 2021
    Sharma 54 - 2010 - 2019
    Trevelyan 52 - 2015 - 2020
    Coffey 51 - 2010 - 2019
    Zahawi 54 - 2010 - 2021
    Eustice 50 - 2010 - 2020
    Shapps 53 - 2005 - 2019
    Lewis 50 - 2010 - 2020
    Jack 58 - 2017 - 2019
    Hart 58 - 2010 - 2019
    Dorries 64 - 2005 - 2021
    Dowden 43 - 2015 - 2021 (listed on wiki as Cabinet level)

When you look at the 2010 first ministry (without the final column as most it was their first time in Cabinet) there were quite a few younger ones, but a surprising number elder or similarly aged ones for a first Tory government in 13 years and the first LD government ever.

Cameron - 43 - 2001
    Clegg - 43 - 2005
    Hague - 49 - 1989
    Osborne - 39 - 2001
    Clarke - 70 - 1970
    May - 54 - 1997
    Fox - 49 - 1992
    Cable - 67 - 1997
    Duncan Smith - 56 - 1992
    Huhne - 56 - 2005
    Lansley - 54 - 1997
    Gove - 43 - 2005
    Pickles - 58 - 1992
    Hammond - 55 - 1997
    Spelman - 52 - 1997
    Mitchell - 54 - 1987
    Paterson - 54 - 1997
    Alexander - 38 - 2005
    Gillan - 58 - 1992
    Hunt - 44 - 2005
    Laws - 45 - 2001

Perception is key.
    Cyclefree said:

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne

They'd bloody well better be looking at options for compensating hospitality businesses who will suffer if masks / closures / loss of business are mandated again.
    I’d put the chances of a significant UK lockdown now at about 70%

Everything has moved so fast, governments are so alarmed, the trend is unfortunately very clear

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Fair enough.

Ah the old Solid Solution Series. Not sure I would have called them fun after having had to remember all that stuff for my finals but they were (and still are) nice to look at under the microscope and were always one of the easier rock forming minerals to identify. Particularly Plagioclase.
    Thin sections under magnification = a beautiful, alien world. A little slice of the history of a small volume of the earth's crust at some distant point in the past. Wonderfully esoteric stuff.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne

WFH over Christmas? Bugger that, I'm having a week off.
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Fair enough.

They're incredibly pretty, and so flexible (which is where I had my fun). Bugger to visualise in 3D though; you have to admire the old-school crystallographers who did it without computer graphics.
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Fair enough.

Thin sections under magnification = a beautiful, alien world. A little slice of the history of a small volume of the earth's crust at some distant point in the past. Wonderfully esoteric stuff.
    (I know "crust" is wrong here, I don't know the word for all the stuff that happens within the crustal layer)
    edited November 2021
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne

Everything has moved so fast, governments are so alarmed, the trend is unfortunately very clear
    Today's announcement has clearly caught the NHS off guard....

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

Previously the site is quietly updated a day or two before any announcements are made.

• Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne

Two for me.

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne

One of the perks of academic life - two weeks off at Christmas. Uni closes on the 23rd, plus a bit of leave, so stop on the 21st, back on 4th.

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne

Today's announcement has clearly caught the NHS off guard....

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

Previously the site is quietly updated a day or two before any announcements are made.
    Yes, that wasn't up earlier when I decided to test to see if i could book. Fair enough, and shows Omicron must have truly been the mover on the decision I guess.

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne

One of the perks of academic life - two weeks off at Christmas. Uni closes on the 23rd, plus a bit of leave, so stop on the 21st, back on 4th.
    I should have stuck with my Media Studies degree
  • Watch as Health Secretary @sajidjavid persuades Sky's chief political correspondent @joncraig
    to get his booster jab while the pair were preparing for an interview at St Thomas' Hospital vaccination centre.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1465443612263649290?s=20

Arrrrhhh big Jon Craig needed his hand holding.

I thought that was going to be “get him to promise to do it”, not “let’s get a needle in you here and now”.
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Well he’s losing on the measure to a PM that’s in a hole. I had a billion pounds at 8/1 with a mate that Sir Keir would win Best PM this week w R&W too, bah
    You're a troll. And not a very good one!
    All the best with your illness
    Not clever Sam. Whatever the disagreements we all have amongst ourselves on here there are certain things that just aren't acceptable. Not many perhaps but that is definitely one of them.
    I’ve had close friends die from mental illness, and had my moments myself, but why should I be dug out by someone who makes stuff up, claims to be depressed, then gets a free hit when he starts ripping into me? For all I know he’s making it all up or is another poster pretending
    Honest, mate, I can see all that, but just leaaave it aaaaht. not wurf it. Ignore.
    I can see iSam's point as well. We all feel sorry for Correct Horse Wotsit, and hope he gets well, but that doesn't give him free rein to dish out abuse and yet whine when he gets it back. Doesn't work like that

Otherwise we could all pretend to be bipolar alcoholics and demand protection from the tiniest scintilla of criticism
    You of all people should know there are degrees of acceptable and unacceptable behaviour on here. Attacking people for their views or what they say is one thing. Picking on their personal mental or health issues is quite another. CHB called Sam a troll. To reply by referencing personal issues is way over the top. And for the record people have done it to you in the past and I and others have said exactly the same thing then.
    Whatever, yawn

As a more general observation - rereading the thread - there seems an unusual amount of petty bickering and offence-taking by many, even those who are generally more robust. I suspect we are all fucking rattled by Omicron, and truly fearful - if we are honest. This prickly PB atmosphere is a by product

Everyone I have spoken to in the last couple of days is scared. Everyone
    I for one am not scared. Thoroughly fed up of the whole thing, yes, but not scared. I'm not going to start being scared either, unless and until there is a good reason to be scared.

Nor do I think that any of us can afford to be scared every time there's a piece of bad news about the virus. Because there will be a regular stream of bad news about the virus - people mithering about variants, panicking whenever this statistic or that one heads in the wrong direction, poring and clucking over some new piece of research or another - for years. If you get into an endless cycle of pointless panicking it'll drive you round the bend. Totally loopy.

It'll take the boffins some weeks to begin to get to grips with what serious implications - IF ANY - arise from this new variant. In the meantime, the fact that the Zombie Apocalypse hasn't started in Johannesburg, along with the majority of learned opinion, suggests that this is not an unmitigated disaster. And, therefore, the process for dealing with the pandemic in Britain has not fundamentally changed. Keep calm, carry on, and book your next jab as soon as you become eligible.

And I wish they'd not elected to reimpose mask mandates. They're practically worthless, as the evidence of the giant comparative experiment we've been doing since July between England, Wales and Scotland suggests, and the decision has only served to piss off the less nervous part of the population and make the more nervous part of it wet themselves again, to absolutely no useful effect.
    It’s a fair point you make about the masks. The effect of non-FF3 mask wearing in shops is only going to be marginal, the act of their reimposing it had an effect on mental health in terms of reopening again the drumbeat of restrictions returning at any minute.
    I've been meaning to ask, is there any evidence for detrimental mental health effects of people wearing masks in shops? We know that masks save people from infecting others and that the effect is far from "marginal", but I'm intrigued as to whether your other claim is similarly anti-science, a guess, or well-grounded.
    Sorry my post was mangled, I tried to edit it but too late.

I’ll try again: the overall effect of mandating masks in shops is only ever going to be marginal, but the fact they did it affects mental health severely due to the revived spectre of lockdown restrictions being reimposed at any moment.
    On mask efficacy, you're wrong. That's just the science.
    On mental health, I suspect you're wrong, but I asking. I don't think wearing a mask in a supermarket causes any harm, let along severe harm. But I stress that here, I have no science to back me up. It's just an extraordinary claim and I find it a little silly. But I'm prepared to hear evidence to the contrary. That was my question.
    You are entirely - entirely! - missing my point.

I couldn’t care less about wearing a mask in a supermarket. Who cares? It had no effect on my mental health. What I am saying is that the fact that mandates were brought back were in and of themselves damaging to mental health because they again raised the spectre of restrictions being reintroduced at any moment. They revived my fear (and that of others) of severe lockdowns returning even though the new measures themselves were minor.

(And yes, mask mandates in shops is only going to have a marginal effect on R. It will have some effect, but as part of the overall budget it’s pretty minor)
    I think this is a good point and easy to overlook. The argument may well be that such restrictions become necessary regardless of such an impact, we have pretty much all accepted sizable negative personal and economic impacts as the appropriate path for most of the past 2 years, with arguments more around the details.

People have in general proven a lot more resilient and robust in dealing mentally with the unnatural impositions that have been faced to date, and I am sure most would continue to bear it. Nevertheless, I think it is reasonable to consider that the stop start nature of restrictions, or fear of never ending uncertainty around the imposition of restrictions, however justified, is itself a factor. In itself that is not controversial, since despite a rapidly changing situation at times there has been criticism of rules/guidance changing too often for example, for being confusing, recognising slightly slower movement would get greater understanding and compliance, relatively speaking.

That doesn't mean concerns over mental health ovreride any wider public health analysis, but recognition of the impact even of the threat of potential restrictions is something to keep in the mix.
    Superb reply. Thanks.
    Farooq said:

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne

I should have stuck with my Media Studies degree
    Give me some credit, PhD in chemistry, now in a Pharmacy department.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    edited November 2021

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne

If you could get yourself cancelled by woke students you could most of 2022 off.
This discussion has been closed.