Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What Price Shoes? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2021 in General
imageWhat Price Shoes? – politicalbetting.com

The Biblical parable of the mustard seed teaches us that even the tiniest beginnings can grow into something very large. An example from history of this is a man who didn’t want to buy new footwear. It led to his downfall and death, an inter-empire war, and played a significant role in the rapid early rise of Islam.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,274
    First like Labour in all the polls
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Second like the government's thoughts about hs2
  • Well now.

NEW: A Conservative MP, Christopher Chope, objected to the government's motion to finally approve the standards committee's findings on Owen Paterson. It means govt has to reschedule, probably with a debate. Sleaze agony prolonged

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1460369895149948933
    Interesting and informative header @Morris_Dancer, thanks!
  • Northern newspapers are a bloodbath of broken promises for the PM tonight.

• ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    In that photo, Boris Johnson looks more like the Emperor Valerian, "his skin stuffed with straw and preserved as a trophy".
  • Well now.

NEW: A Conservative MP, Christopher Chope, objected to the government's motion to finally approve the standards committee's findings on Owen Paterson. It means govt has to reschedule, probably with a debate. Sleaze agony prolonged

These dinosaur conservatives need to be thrown out of the party
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

Well now.

I don't think this is a bad thing, Chope likes to trigger debate on stuff iirc. And a further debate on this lot is probably a good thing.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,056
    edited November 2021

Well now.

Chope is the one who objects to everything isn't he? On some bizarre principle that only government bills should pass. He is best known for his role in killing the bill that made upskirting photos illegal.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

Well now.

Chope makes even the rest of the Tory backbenchers all look intelligent by comparison.
    IshmaelZ said:

Second like the government's thoughts about hs2

Or... Second like Italy?

Chris said:

In that photo, Boris Johnson looks more like the Emperor Valerian, "his skin stuffed with straw and preserved as a trophy".

I nearly captioned that photo with 'Boris Johnson's entry for the Worzel Gummidge lookalike contest.'
    A caption that could apply to just about any photo of Johnson tbf.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,256

Well now.

Is it possible that you mispelled 'government' as 'the party'? :tongue:
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Well done Morris. I think that HS2 can be Covided away.

The far more elementary and damaging error is failing to tell Paterson to suck it up. An example of Boris' loyalty it may be but it has brought the house down around his (unshorn) locks. Just about every front page now can be traced back to his decision to whip the Paterson vote.

A better parable is the for want of a nail. Shoes do come in to it as well, obvs.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Foxy said:

Well now.

Chope is the one who objects to everything isn't he? On some bizarre principle that only government bills should pass. He is best known for his role in killing the bill that made upskirting photos illegal.
    And IIRC for being a total hypocrite because he has let things through that he did want, making his supposedly principled reason for acting in that way untrue.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Unless there is a sudden demand in the Redwall for new footwear I don't quite see the comparison.

The Tories under Boris are also still roughly level with Starmer Labour, not well behind as May was by Spring 2019.

ReformUK is also merely a minor blip in most polls, not well into double figures as the Brexit Party was polling before May was deposed
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571
    And the moral is that empires never last when they’re down at heel ?
    Pretty soon they’re on their uppers.

Well now.

Boy, those Labour deep plant agents are even more embedded than Agent Corbyn was for the Tories,
    Nigelb said:

Unless the boss is given the boot.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    2 Con MPs rebelled on pension triple lock tonight (Commons reversing Lords amendment):

Esther McVey
    Derek Thomas

Vote was 300-229 so well over 100 MPs absent.
  • Faffing about asks @Morris_Dancer

Shagger likes faffing about. With as many lovely ladies as he can afford to pay off
    The Biblical parable of the mustard seed

I'm afraid that one passed me by during my schooling. It doesn't have a catchy name, like those WW2 Battles that sound less important than they were, like Operation Market Garden.

But I am a sucker for historical analogies.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279

Well now.

Isn't it good to have MPs who irritate and obstruct the government so they don't always get their own way?
  • Andy_JS said:

Well now.

Isn't it good to have MPs who irritate and obstruct the government so they don't always get their own way?
    Not on this issue
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

We can’t build fucking anything on this island

What rubbish.
    We build castles in the air all the time. And houses on sand.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    So now we get a full debate and vote on Patterson?
    Very good. Carry on.
  • dixiedean said:

So now we get a full debate and vote on Patterson?
    Very good. Carry on.

Well, quite.
    edited November 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Well now.

Er, context matters. That's why the oft quoted 'Oppositions oppose' is untrue, because there are many instances, uncontroversial matters, where oppositions don't just automatically oppose. And yes we don't want government to always get their own way, but that is a pretty absurd reading of this vote on the Paterson matter, since the government already didn't get it is own way, that's why this vote came up in the first place.

But in any case I think from his party perspective the point was it keeps it in the news, which is terrible for them. Was that his motivation because he thinks they deserve to be kicked? Past history suggests not, but we'll see if that was his intent.
    edited November 2021
    kle4 said:

I'm afraid that one passed me by during my schooling. It doesn't have a catchy name, like those WW2 Battles that sound less important than they were, like Operation Market Garden.

You would mistake most UK military operations' names for towns along the A1(M) - and some of them are just that - whereas the US has much more catchy shall we say motivational names - Freedom This, Righteous Fury That, etc

Untrue, we are great at building resentment.
    HYUFD said:

Unless there is a sudden demand in the Redwall for new footwear I don't quite see the comparison.

The Tories under Boris are also still roughly level with Starmer Labour, not well behind as May was by Spring 2019.

ReformUK is also merely a minor blip in most polls, not well into double figures as the Brexit Party was polling before May was deposed

How were the polls looking at the same stage of May's premiership (November 2018)?
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Unless the boss is given the boot.
    Is he the sole problem, or just an obnoxious pedal extremity ?
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393
    Chris said:

More like a certain character from The Fast Show

"This week I have been mostly lying to the electorate."
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Well now.

Chope does this on all sorts of motions based on some obscure point of principle that only he understands

This was the one I was thinking of

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/upskirting-bill-law-blocked-criminal-offence-christopher-chope-tory-mp-a8400686.html?amp
    Farooq said:

What rubbish.
    We regularly build a bonfire of red tape.
    We just never get around to lighting it.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Excellent photo!

Following the biblical theme it seems like Russel Brand is continuing his quest to become a mystic with a leaning towards anti vaxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJBVMsF5AyA
    edited November 2021

HYUFD said:

How were the polls looking at the same stage of May's premiership (November 2018)?
    Also neck and neck but there was no reason to remove May then either, she only really began to trail in Spring 2019 when she delayed Brexit and her core support started defecting in large numbers to Farage's Brexit party. That was when she was replaced
    edited November 2021
    Charles said:

Well now.

Chope does this on all sorts of motions based on some obscure point of principle that only he understands

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/upskirting-bill-law-blocked-criminal-offence-christopher-chope-tory-mp-a8400686.html?amp
    That no one seems to understand it does, I think, lead to a reasonable conclusion that his purported justifications are not his sole motivation. dixidean makes that point concisely.
    edited November 2021
    Charles said:

Well now.

Mysteriously, his principles don't apply to anything that affects his mates.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,604

HS2 should have been a source of huge national pride - connecting the great cities of the English north and midlands to the European high speed network. Instead, we are stopping at Euston and forcing northerners to shuffle along the Euston Road with their bags to reach the Eurostar. Oh, and we are cutting Nottingham, Leeds and Newcastle out of the project entirely.

Absolutely pathetic from the hopeless Boris.
  • TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

You would mistake most UK military operations' names for towns along the A1(M) - and some of them are just that - whereas the US has much more catchy shall we say motivational names - Freedom This, Righteous Fury That, etc
    That's a great system that the US has, but it would obviously have to be adapted for UK sensibilities. Something like 'Operation If We Must', 'Operation What A Bother', 'Operation Best Of A Bad Job'.
  • We can’t build fucking anything on this island

HS2 should have been a source of huge national pride - connecting the great cities of the English north and midlands to the European high speed network. Instead, we are stopping at Euston and forcing northerners to shuffle along the Euston Road with their bags to reach the Eurostar. Oh, and we are cutting Nottingham, Leeds and Newcastle out of the project entirely.

Couldn't put it better myself.

Utterly crap policy decision.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,238

Because you'd have had to level half of Camden for a decade, for about 4 through trains a day, with passport issues unresolved

We've been over this. Several times. It was a lovely dream but it was never going to happen

The cross connection is possibly even more important. Manchester to Leeds is a disgrace. And the M62 is barely any better.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Farooq said:

What rubbish.
    castles in the air So my Mother can clean them ☺️

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

That's a great system that the US has, but it would obviously have to be adapted for UK sensibilities. Something like 'Operation If We Must', 'Operation What A Bother', 'Operation Best Of A Bad Job'.
    The Canadians could have "Operation I Beg Your Pardon", "Operation Excuse Me" and "Operation I'm So Sorry".
    edited November 2021
    kle4 said:

The Kingdom of God is described by Jesus as like a mustard seed. A tiny seed that grows into a great plant.

The Kingdom of Heaven is like a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field; which indeed is smaller than all seeds but when it is grown, it is greater than the herbs and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in its branches.[Matthew 13:31–32]

Congratulations to Gareth Southgate and his
    @England
    squad on sealing qualification for next year’s World Cup with tonight's win over San Marino

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1460373997267435533?s=20
    Leon said:

Because you'd have had to level half of Camden for a decade, for about 4 through trains a day, with passport issues unresolved

We've been over this. Several times. It was a lovely dream but it was never going to happen
    Are you implying that inconvenience to North Londoners takes precedence over the North of England?

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

LOL absolutely. And then when it seems to be over have the PM standing on the flight deck of HMS Queen Elizabeth in front of a banner saying "Mustn't Grumble".
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Are you implying that inconvenience to North Londoners takes precedence over the North of England?
    It's traditional?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,584

Well now.

You can always rely on our "upskirt" hero to deliver.

The personification of sleaze!
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

LOL absolutely. And then when it seems to be over have the PM standing on the flight deck of HMS Queen Elizabeth in front of a banner saying "Mustn't Grumble".
    “Time for a Cuppa”
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,238
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

YES
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

Chris said:

I nearly captioned that photo with 'Boris Johnson's entry for the Worzel Gummidge lookalike contest.'
    Strong Fred West energy in that photo.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,604
    edited November 2021
    Leon said:

We have been over it but other countries manage to do it. As I have said - yes, repeatedly - Manchester/Leeds/Nottingham to Paris would have been competitive routes, probably quicker than air city centre to city centre and very possibly more popular.

I note that the Dutch didn’t airily say “Amsterdam to London direct was a nice dream but was never going to happen”, they JFDI.
  • Dura_Ace said:

Chris said:

I simply find that unnecessary and disgusting no matter how much you dislike him
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Yes. Wrecking the chilterns is fine, but woebetide those who want to knock down a few London streets.
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

YES
    I presume those Northerners who moved to North London after graduation did so for a reason and not because they wanted to rush back up beyond Watford every 5 minutes outside of Christmas and family events.

Nor is there any great reason why Northerners would want to go to London in half the time they do now, agreed
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

YES
    Fair enough. That has been the general impression for a few decades.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

YES
    I presume those Northerners who moved to North London after graduation did so for a reason and not because they wanted to rush back up beyond Watford every 5 minutes outside of Christmas and family events.

Nor is there any great reason why Northerners would want to go to London in half the time they do now, agreed
    Sorry what
  • On HS2, what the government is now proposing may well make sense. But they've made a fetish of 'levelling up', without any substance behind the slogan. This new plan can and will easily be portrayed as the opposite of levelling up, adding to the already astonishingly long list of those betrayed by Boris.

Chris said:

Looks like he has had a bit too much cider and Aunt Sally will be giving him an earful.
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

YES

We can go direct to source and ask one of our PB-ers with such a profile just this.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited November 2021
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

YES

Strange thing to say
  • kle4 said:

Untrue, we are great at building resentment.
    How fcuking dare you suggest that!
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

YES

With that approach I take it you would have opposed creation of the railways and the motorway network as well. What? Why would there be any advantage to people moving about the country faster?

Brilliant, depressing article.

THE BAD GUYS ARE WINNING
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/12/the-autocrats-are-winning/620526/
    If the 20th century was the story of slow, uneven progress toward the victory of liberal democracy over other ideologies—communism, fascism, virulent nationalism—the 21st century is, so far, a story of the reverse.
    edited November 2021
    Delete
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Dura_Ace said:

Chris said:

I simply find that unnecessary and disgusting no matter how much you dislike him
    I know, he only killed a few girls. He was bad but not BORIS bad.

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

YES

Sorry what
    Just HYUFD illustrating the level of strategic thinking at the DoT.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    I enjoyed Morris Dancer's piece, but I wonder whether the problem is in identifying the shoe ahead of time.

You could imagine that the argument made to Johnson during the infamous Telegraph dinner was that he had to pay the small price of saving Owen Paterson in order to keep his loyal army of Brexiteer backbenchers, who had won him so many recent political battles that had made him Emperor Prime Minister, happy, loyal and not at all rebellious. Perhaps Johnson saw the minor matter of kicking Paterson's suspension into the long grass of a Parliamentary committee as equivalent to the small price of buying his army new shoes.

And, if we think about it, Johnson could be forgiven for thinking this was the accurate appraisal of the facts. The Brexiteer backbenchers were his Praetorian Guard, and they had many reasons to be unhappy - months of Covid restrictions still rankles, tax rises, COP26 - to have one of their number dragged over the coals could have been the frayed footwear that sent them over the edge.

Given all the previous offences to standards of probity and good governance committed by B Johnson it was a massive surprise that this was one that has - at least temporarily - broken the inaccountability shield that normally shrouds the Prime Minister.

As Morris Dancer's example demonstrates, predicting where this might end up is impossible. The mob is fickle.
    edited November 2021
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

YES

With that approach I take it you would have opposed creation of the railways and the motorway network as well. What? Why would there be any advantage to people moving about the country faster?

We already have a rail network and motorway network we don't need a high speed rail network from London to the North when there is no great demand for it. We also are only a third the landmass of France, they have more room for the TGV without ripping up a big percentage of the countryside. So I have reservations about HS2
    edited November 2021
    Nigelb said:

THE BAD GUYS ARE WINNING
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/12/the-autocrats-are-winning/620526/
    If the 20th century was the story of slow, uneven progress toward the victory of liberal democracy over other ideologies—communism, fascism, virulent nationalism—the 21st century is, so far, a story of the reverse.

Good article. For me the most depressing and curious one is China. After the Deng Xiaoping reforms while not the end of history it did seem as though there was little chance of regression. What Xi has done, both on the mainland and in Hong Kong is simply dreadful and as the article notes, a huge regressive step. And largely unnecessary, given the wealth that a reforming China was delivering to its citizens.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

YES

We can go direct to source and ask one of our PB-ers with such a profile just this.
    Well, I'm one (Northerner living in North London).

Have to admit, I think 2 hours to get to Manchester is fine as it is, although I know people say the real benefit of HS2 is increased capacity. I do think though the optics of this are bad for BJ though.
    Dura_Ace said:

Chris said:

That is funny. Not sure you could say Carrie looks like Rose though

I enjoyed Morris Dancer's piece, but I wonder whether the problem is in identifying the shoe ahead of time.

You could imagine that the argument made to Johnson during the infamous Telegraph dinner was that he had to pay the small price of saving Owen Paterson in order to keep his loyal army of Brexiteer backbenchers, who had won him so many recent political battles that had made him Emperor Prime Minister, happy, loyal and not at all rebellious. Perhaps Johnson saw the minor matter of kicking Paterson's suspension into the long grass of a Parliamentary committee as equivalent to the small price of buying his army new shoes.

And, if we think about it, Johnson could be forgiven for thinking this was the accurate appraisal of the facts. The Brexiteer backbenchers were his Praetorian Guard, and they had many reasons to be unhappy - months of Covid restrictions still rankles, tax rises, COP26 - to have one of their number dragged over the coals could have been the frayed footwear that sent them over the edge.

Given all the previous offences to standards of probity and good governance committed by B Johnson it was a massive surprise that this was one that has - at least temporarily - broken the inaccountability shield that normally shrouds the Prime Minister.

As Morris Dancer's example demonstrates, predicting where this might end up is impossible. The mob is fickle.

There's something in your general point, but given the furore that has erupted from it, the clear unhappiness that was displayed at the time from the rank and file, and that Boris decided to try and force their hand with a last minute 3-line whip, I think it was pretty obvious this is a show they could tell was going to be a problem, even if they underestimated how big a problem.

Were the Brexiteer awkward squad really in such uproar they needed mollifying in such a way which would cause obvious problems? They had not caused him any major difficulty. Surely not all the Brexiteers were lined up in outrage about Paterson such that protecting him would mollify them?

As explanations go, and given his history, I'm more inclined to think Boris saw personal advantage in doing it and that he could manage the fallout, rather than he was doing Paterson, or Paterson's mates, a favour to keep them on board.
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

YES

We already have a rail network and motorway network we don't need a high speed rail network from London to the North when there is no great demand for it. We also are only a third the landmass of France, they have more room for the TGV without ripping up a big percentage of the countryside. So I have reservations about HS2
    I was not in favour of HS2 either. But your logic that anyone moving to London would have no reason to favour faster travel time, or anyone else in the country would not want to do so, was most peculiar. Whatever the cost benefits of HS2 and other projects, I for one would journey around the country more if it took half the time, because we take advantage of convenience.
    Another, possibly quixotic bid by O’Rourke for the governorship…
    https://www.politico.com/news/2021/11/15/beto-orourke-texas-governor-campaign-522336
    Nigelb said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/11/15/beto-orourke-texas-governor-campaign-522336

If he couldn't win in Texas in 2018 when there was a blue wave to the Democrats, he certainly won't win statewide in 2022 when the polling suggests a red wave to the GOP
  • Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Yes. Wrecking the chilterns is fine, but woebetide those who want to knock down a few London streets.
    I think we should ask the Vogon's if they could assist with this minor reconstruction work.
    One report says Leeds to Sheffield isn't happening but Manchester to somewhere near Huddersfield is.

What a shit show. They can't even get their leaks to the press right.

Either that or the policy has actually changed in the past 12 hours. Which would be even more shambolic.
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

If he couldn't win in Texas in 2018 when there was a blue wave to the Democrats, he certainly won't win statewide in 2022 when the polling suggests a red wave to the GOP
    Agreed. The latest Texas results also suggest a Hispanic switch to the GOP.
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

YES

Okay. I live in Chelsea and drive to North Riding quite a lot. I used to drive it a lot more before lockdown. I don’t do it using train. I didn’t like the idea of HS2 destroying the countryside. There is probably a green argument HS2 would have reduced car traffic, but do you think it would have?
    But I like driving. Normally I don’t drive it alone, and I do my stint first and then sit in the back with my cams on. I don’t know if this helps? But looking at the comment we are commenting on, it’s quite a closed view about people but all people would be different, some prefer train, some not have reasons to travel so often. And I came before graduation.

I don’t want to be rude, but why is H Y F U D an ass?
    Or is he an Okapi?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    'Upskirting'. I must have been away when that one hit the headlines. Sounds like quite a niche hobby.
  • TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

YES

Okay. I live in Chelsea and drive to North Riding quite a lot. I used to drive it a lot more before lockdown. I don’t do it using train. I didn’t like the idea of HS2 destroying the countryside. There is probably a green argument HS2 would have reduced car traffic, but do you think it would have?
    But I like driving. Normally I don’t drive it alone, and I do my stint first and then sit in the back with my cams on. I don’t know if this helps? But looking at the comment we are commenting on, it’s quite a closed view about people but all people would be different, some prefer train, some not have reasons to travel so often. And I came before graduation.

Or is he an Okapi?
    @HYUFD is @HYUFD and he is polite
    And so, talk of improved transport infrastructure inevitably becomes a discussion of getting to and from London.
    Sighs.

One report says Leeds to Sheffield isn't happening but Manchester to somewhere near Huddersfield is.

What a shit show. They can't even get their leaks to the press right.

Either that or the policy has actually changed in the past 12 hours. Which would be even more shambolic.

The B'ham to Leeds section of HS2 was arguably the most needed part of the project. Disappointing to see it cancelled.
    edited November 2021

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

YES

Or is he an Okapi?
    @HYUFD is @HYUFD and he is polite
    I should hope we all are!

By the way, did you consider doing a zoom for the birthday party?
    Nigelb said:

THE BAD GUYS ARE WINNING

The people who invented the internet were hoping it would increase freedom. It looks like they didn't consider the possibility that it might be used by autocratic leaders to reduce it.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,459
    edited November 2021
    Newsnight is suggesting that Chope (and Cash) objected to a vote on the Paterson affair tonight because they want a debate on the motion; the vote tonight was due to be held without any discussion. And they want a debate because they think Paterson has been the victim of a great injustice.

If that's accurate, it's brilliant news. More chance for Labour to benefit from a bit of blue-on-blue action as some Tory MPs try to defend the indefensible.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Interesting cold plunge in today's ECMWF forecast for next week. I wonder how important the issue of high gas prices will be for the voters of North Shropshire and Old Bexley and Sidcup?
This discussion has been closed.