Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Leicester East – a possible by-election? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited October 2021 in General
imageLeicester East – a possible by-election? – politicalbetting.com

Labour is calling on Leicester East MP Claudia Webbe to quit her seat after she was found guilty of a campaign of harassment including threatening an acid attack. At GE2019 she stood for Labour in Leicester East but now is an independent.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    First, like Labour in Leicester East
  • Ooh yes please.
  • FPT

This truly is a leftie government, Sunak is a pound shop Gordon Brown.

Pension savers face risk of higher fees as Sunak seeks billions for ‘levelling up’

Ministers are looking to relax rules shielding tens of millions of UK retirement savers from high charges as they step up efforts to funnel pension fund cash into the government’s “levelling up” agenda.

Officials are working on proposals to dilute the 0.75 per cent ceiling on annual management fees, which was put in place in 2016 to protect workers auto-enrolled into workplace pensions from having their savings eroded by high charges.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak is looking at ways to tap billions of pounds of pension fund cash to invest in long-term projects, including infrastructure schemes, renewable energy projects and innovative tech firms, to help deliver on UK prime minister Boris Johnson’s pledge to spread economic growth across the UK.

https://www.ft.com/content/a8cad0f1-fd85-40ed-aa19-e71728f10825
    edited October 2021
    FPT:

Pension savers face risk of higher fees as Sunak seeks billions for ‘levelling up’

Ministers are looking to relax rules shielding tens of millions of UK retirement savers from high charges as they step up efforts to funnel pension fund cash into the government’s “levelling up” agenda.

Officials are working on proposals to dilute the 0.75 per cent ceiling on annual management fees, which was put in place in 2016 to protect workers auto-enrolled into workplace pensions from having their savings eroded by high charges.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak is looking at ways to tap billions of pounds of pension fund cash to invest in long-term projects, including infrastructure schemes, renewable energy projects and innovative tech firms, to help deliver on UK prime minister Boris Johnson’s pledge to spread economic growth across the UK.

How does diluting (i.e. presumably, increasing or removing) the ceiling on annual management fees increase tax revenues by any worthwhile amount?
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited October 2021
    What a vile individual, Claudia Webbe.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

FPT:

How does diluting (i.e. presumably, increasing or removing) the ceiling on annual management fees increase tax revenues by any worthwhile amount?
    0.75% for the coke snorting broker, 0.5% for the Gov't :p ?
  • FPT

Believe me, Sir, those who attempt to level, never equalize.

Edmund Burke
  • If Webbe goes down the appellate route we might not see any by election until the latter half of 2022 or later.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    Time for Ed Balls to hit the Golden Mile.
  • FPT:

A small amount of a large amount raises a lot.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    ping said:

Don't be so damned polite, she does not deserve that consideration.
    Wont there be a GE anyway before her appeal and the recall petition go through the system?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Corbyn calls for “absolute solidarity” with Claudia Webbe.

https://twitter.com/adamlangleben/status/1448360094450819075
  • The Tories also need to stop dragging their feet and work with Labour and kick out the awful Rob Roberts out of the Commons.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731

ping said:

Don't be so damned polite, she does not deserve that consideration.
    Head of handling anti-semitism under Corbyn.

• TazTaz Posts: 10,704

It’s awful,judgement but was in September before the verdict.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287

Wont there be a GE anyway before her appeal and the recall petition go through the system?

Won't she be booted out of Labour, permanently ?

FPT:

FFS there are far more straightforward ways of raising a large amount.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

The Tories also need to stop dragging their feet and work with Labour and kick out the awful Rob Roberts out of the Commons.

I make Delyn an almost certain Labour gain, particularly in a by-election.
    edited October 2021

FPT:

I’m not sure the point is to raise tax, rather redirect pension savings.

Makes sense, imo.

Slightly related; I’ve long thought the nimby problem could be overcome by getting buy-in from locals with a structured savings product. A kind of hyper-local NS&I bond, paying inflation-linked interest, funnelled into housing association developments in your area.

If Webbe goes down the appellate route we might not see any by election until the latter half of 2022 or later.

The mess the courts are in I reckon a GE will have happened before the appeal.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    edited October 2021
    Pulpstar said:

FPT:

Ah hem.

0.75% goes to the fund manager. A sober individual like I used to be.

The coke snorting broker* gets paid from the commissions that the fund pays when it buys or sells shares. In the old days, that was as much 0.25%, and brokers drove 911s. Now it's more likely to be 0.04 or 0.05%, and brokers bitch about how much better paid fund managers now are.

* Not *all* brokers snort cocaine. Some of them prefer Adderell.

Yes, it is hard to see any result,other than an easy labour hold here.

Should a by election happen.
    ping said:

Personally I wouldn't trust any parent that wasn't prepared to throw acid in the eyes of people who impeded their childrens' rise.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited October 2021

FPT:

This is one of the things the voters won't notice until they retire, then they will be really annoyed.

The further away from retirement you are the more you're screwed.
    ping said:

FPT:

Makes sense, imo.

Slightly related; I’ve long thought the nimby problem could be overcome by getting buy-in from locals with a structured savings product. A kind of hyper-local NS&I bond, paying inflation-linked interest, funnelled into housing association developments in your area.
    It's surely only going to redirect pension savings into the pockets of money-grabbing fund managers?
  • Pulpstar said:

The Tories also need to stop dragging their feet and work with Labour and kick out the awful Rob Roberts out of the Commons.

I make Delyn an almost certain Labour gain, particularly in a by-election.
    Same, even if BXP don't stand, I make it a Lab gain.

If Webbe goes down the appellate route we might not see any by election until the latter half of 2022 or later.

Does she have grounds for an appeal?

Because a lot of people talk a good game about appealing... but then when they are appraised of the cost (high) and the likelihood of success (low), they reconsider.

It's like the stages of grief.

FPT:

This is one of the things the voters won't notice until they retire, then they will be really annoyed.

The further away from retirement you are the more you're screwed.
    NI on all income. Simple.

(I offer that as one of the retired who would be adversely affected but why should I pay less on my income than you poor sods working every day to keep the country solvent?)
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited October 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Because a lot of people talk a good game about appealing... but then when they are appraised of the cost (high) and the likelihood of success (low), they reconsider.

Given the current backlog in HMCTS you can lodge an appeal and do no work on it because it might not get heard for a year.

It'll give her a year's worth of extra income as an MP plus expenses.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,461
    isam said:
    Given the leave vote, and that it was a pretty safe Labour seat, the 2019 Brexit Party vote (2.5%) looks surprisingly low to me.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884

Time for Ed Balls to hit the Golden Mile.

I wondered if that was a euphemism but then realised it was a reference to strictly.
  • Taz said:

Any opportunities for the Gorgeous George roadshow to split the Labour vote here?
  • In January it was reported there was a 4 year wait in the English & Welsh courts.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2021/jan/10/covid-leading-to-four-year-waits-for-england-and-wales-court-trials
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758

rcs1000 said:

Given the current backlog in HMCTS you can lodge an appeal and do no work on it because it might not get heard for a year.

Plus, AIUI, another year of freedom pending the appeal.
  • This isn't just about Claudia Webbe. Its about the hard left fighting a bitter defence against the evil Tories like serkeir. Webbe may be a Bully and a Liar, but she remains to them the people's princess, a proud comrade who remains the absolutely best person who should have been impartially managing allegations of anti-semitism against fellow hard left comrades.

You've deliberately written this as if Corbyn said this today, whereas it was several weeks ago. He clearly wouldn't repeat it now. I'm not defending Corbyn - he was a twit to say it then - but she hadn't been found guilty then, and she was pleading innocence.

Taz said:

Any opportunities for the Gorgeous George roadshow to split the Labour vote here?
    I wonder if his time has past. He failed in Batley and Spen. Would he even stand ?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

The mess the courts are in I reckon a GE will have happened before the appeal.
    What would the grounds for appeal be? Doesn't it have to be more than "I don't like the verdict"?

I would think safe Labour hold if they let the local party pick a good local candidate. Webbe was the worst sort of parachuted in candidate. If another is dropped in then bets would be off.
    edited October 2021

ping said:

FPT:

Makes sense, imo.

It's surely only going to redirect pension savings into the pockets of money-grabbing fund managers?
    I dunno, but I guess these levelling up type projects will require a bit more active management than your regular ftse-index tracker, or commercial property fund, or whatever.

I think that’s where Sunak is coming from.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

You've deliberately written this as if Corbyn said this today, whereas it was several weeks ago. He clearly wouldn't repeat it now. I'm not defending Corbyn - he was a twit to say it then - but she hadn't been found guilty then, and she was pleading innocence.
    I was too quick and didn't realise that the video had been reposted.

rcs1000 said:

I agree, and that's why once an MP has been disowned by their party for wrongdoing they should be under much more pressure to do the honourable thing and resign.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837

Taz said:

Not sure Galloway goes down well in the Hindu community.

I was too quick and didn't realise that the video had been reposted.
    Fair enough - sorry for snapping at you.
  • gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    rcs1000 said:

ping said:

Personally I wouldn't trust any parent that wasn't prepared to throw acid in the eyes of people who impeded their childrens' rise.
    What?
    edited October 2021

isam said:
    Given the leave vote, and that it was a pretty safe Labour seat, the 2019 Brexit Party vote (2.5%) looks surprisingly low to me.
    The East of the city is quite ethnic, and voters there often believed that Brexit would allow more immigration from their home countries. Priti Patel would go down well in some parts, though not others, but not really a community obsessed with "traditional British values". It ain't Hartlepool.
  • dixiedean said:

Taz said:

Good point. Not sure that, or his repeated failures, are smaller factors than GG's ego though. Even if he can't win, he can still cause trouble.
    Good Lord, Keith Vaz’s crime sheet is off the charts!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Vaz

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

Good point. Not sure that, or his repeated failures, are smaller factors than GG's ego though. Even if he can't win, he can still cause trouble.
    There is a significant Muslim community too, and you do see cars with Palestinian flags in the constituency, but it isn't really a place for the itinerant cat impersonator.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,722

In January it was reported there was a 4 year wait in the English & Welsh courts.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2021/jan/10/covid-leading-to-four-year-waits-for-england-and-wales-court-trials

And the Tories are going to solve this by cutting their funding (again)
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,572

Based on what Corbyn said in that clip from September, he might as well have said it today. Words to the effect that "Here is a list of our far left comrades attacked by the evil media, Claudia has joined the list, so she's just the latest victim of a witchhunt by the media and we stand by her in solidarity." Don't fool yourself that the evidence of today's proceedings could possibly change such a prejudiced view, although he might now add the evil capitalist courts to the list of those perpetrating the witchhunt.

He's so much more than just a "twit".
    edited October 2021
    isam said:

Good Lord, Keith Vaz’s crime sheet is off the charts!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Vaz

Sure, but he was a popular MP locally. He knew how to cultivate and porkbarrel his constituency!

I remember eating in a curry house on the Golden Mile* when Vaz came in with a friend, and the waiter immediately went over to serve him before returning to our table with the quip "sorry about that, but you never know when a relative is going to need help with something".

* Not what it was in its Eighties heyday. Between the internet and cheap flights, shoppers now often buy direct from India rather than our little Gujerat. Its still a good place to eat though.
  • Has @BJO commented yet?
    CatMan said:

In January it was reported there was a 4 year wait in the English & Welsh courts.

The Party of Law and order, no less.
  • CatMan said:

That really is a false economy.

Getting and keeping a criminal off the streets prevents multiple future crimes, and multiple future court cases.

Taz said:

I did a quick "back of the envelope" calculation for Batley & Spen. Basically, looking at the proportion of Muslims in a constituency and Galloway's vote share.

Basically, it looked like he tops out (pretty consistently) at about 60% of the Muslim share for the constituency. Leicester East is 48% Asian, but 33% of that is Hindu and only 15% is Muslim. This would put GG's potential at around 10% of the vote, or maybe a little lower.

Could this be enough to cause Labour to lose the seat?

I doubt it.

My guess - fwiw - is that the December 2019 result was a bad one for the Labour Party at least in part because all the students had returned home.

I therefore think that the real Labour majority is slightly undercooked here.
    edited October 2021

CatMan said:

Getting and keeping a criminal off the streets prevents multiple future crimes, and multiple future court cases.
    Absolutely.

Jail in four years is nowhere near as much a deterrent as jail now.

And it will inevitably end up with more people getting away with crimes than would otherwise be the case.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587
    I once met Peter Brunivels in a pub in Uppingham just prior to the 1983.GE. At the time he was comfortably the Conservative MP for nearby Leicester East.
    Was Webbe ever all the ticket? What on earth is this all about?

https://youtu.be/pH-_wRC8bt4
    rcs1000 said:

CatMan said:

Absolutely.

Justice delayed is - all too often - going to end up with justice not happening at all.
    Are there statutes of limitations on some crimes which may mean such a delay effectively stops any trial taking place ?
    isam said:

Was Webbe ever all the ticket? What on earth is this all about?

https://youtu.be/pH-_wRC8bt4

Her twitter feed makes Zarah Sultana seem quite rational.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

FPT:

The biggest asset manager for auto enrolled pensions is NEST. That's the state owned pensions asset management company. Uncapping fees will mean millions of people will be hit with higher charges by NEST and these will be people on the lower end of the income scale too because employers that use NEST are more likely to be smaller companies and companies with lower paid people.

Honestly, it's just another example of the Tory party kicking working people and a reason we need a strong opposition that will stand up for working age people and start to tax over 65s properly.
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

I did a quick "back of the envelope" calculation for Batley & Spen. Basically, looking at the proportion of Muslims in a constituency and Galloway's vote share.

Basically, it looked like he tops out (pretty consistently) at about 60% of the Muslim share for the constituency. Leicester East is 48% Asian, but 33% of that is Hindu and only 15% is Muslim. This would put GG's potential at around 10% of the vote, or maybe a little lower.

I doubt it.

My guess - fwiw - is that the December 2019 result was a bad one for the Labour Party at least in part because all the students had returned home.

Hang on. Does 48% Asian, 33% Hindu equal 15% Muslim?
    Are there no Sikhs? Let alone Jains, Buddhists, Chinese, etc.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Taz said:

rcs1000 said:

CatMan said:

Absolutely.

Justice delayed is - all too often - going to end up with justice not happening at all.
    Are there statutes of limitations on some crimes which may mean such a delay effectively stops any trial taking place ?
    No, English law doesn't do statutes of limitations for crime.
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

I doubt it.

Fair point.
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

FPT:

Ah hem.

The coke snorting broker* gets paid from the commissions that the fund pays when it buys or sells shares. In the old days, that was as much 0.25%, and brokers drove 911s. Now it's more likely to be 0.04 or 0.05%, and brokers bitch about how much better paid fund managers now are.

The issue here is that the fund manager for millions of people's pensions is the state via NEST. Raising the cap on fees is simply another tax raising measure on working age people.
    Taz said:

rcs1000 said:

CatMan said:

Absolutely.

I think the big issue is that witnesses move or forget or can be made to look like they're not sure. My guess is that there is a strong correlation between time to trial and conviction rates.

Based on what Corbyn said in that clip from September, he might as well have said it today. Words to the effect that "Here is a list of our far left comrades attacked by the evil media, Claudia has joined the list, so she's just the latest victim of a witchhunt by the media and we stand by her in solidarity." Don't fool yourself that the evidence of today's proceedings could possibly change such a prejudiced view, although he might now add the evil capitalist courts to the list of those perpetrating the witchhunt.

He's so much more than just a "twit".
    Yes, he is - sorry if "twit" wasn't strong enough for you. But I believe in fair play; the video clip was not from today. Anyway, Corbyn is yesterday's man, as are his fairly small coterie of followers. I choose to ignore him and them, just as I did twenty-odd years ago when Corbyn and his coterie were on the backbenches and Blair was storming to victory.
  • No, he has a point.

Think of all the Covid vaccines that could be bought for the price of a "space tourist" ticket.
    edited October 2021
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

I doubt it.

Yes. Sikhs in reasonable numbers. Also a significant community of Asian Christians, mostly from Kerala and Goa. Vaz included.
    MaxPB said:

FPT:

The biggest asset manager for auto enrolled pensions is NEST. That's the state owned pensions asset management company. Uncapping fees will mean millions of people will be hit with higher charges by NEST and these will be people on the lower end of the income scale too because employers that use NEST are more likely to be smaller companies and companies with lower paid people.

Honestly, it's just another example of the Tory party kicking working people and a reason we need a strong opposition that will stand up for working age people and start to tax over 65s properly.
    Nest already make a rather high initial charge of 1.8% on all new contributions.

Yes, it is the Tories kicking the working man and woman. Once their money is in the pension it is pretty much there until they retire..

One thing that Always concerns me with these pension pots is they tie your money up,for decades and you cannot access it yet the govt can chop,and change the rules to,suit.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

No, he has a point.

Think of all the Covid vaccines that could be bought for the price of a "space tourist" ticket.
    Whataboutery/drunk driver's fallacy.
  • rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

rcs1000 said:

CatMan said:

Absolutely.

I think the big issue is that witnesses move or forget or can be made to look like they're not sure. My guess is that there is a strong correlation between time to trial and conviction rates.
    Not to forget that a criminal out on the streets while awaiting conviction is free to keep committing crimes for that time.

Its only once they're securely behind bars that there is a disruption to their criminal behaviour.

Its not like someone who committed a crime and was nicked then is out on bail for four years is going to be an angel in all that time. 🤦‍♂️
  • IshmaelZ said:

No, he has a point.

Why whataboutery?
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

FPT:

Ah hem.

The issue here is that the fund manager for millions of people's pensions is the state via NEST. Raising the cap on fees is simply another tax raising measure on working age people.
    Good point.
  • IshmaelZ said:

No, he has a point.

Why whataboutery?
    Because its private money.

There was no reason it would have gone on vaccines had it not gone on space tourism. It could have gone on women or drink, with the rest wasted, to quote George Best.

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

rcs1000 said:

CatMan said:

Absolutely.

Not to forget that a criminal out on the streets while awaiting conviction is free to keep committing crimes for that time.

Its only once they're securely behind bars that there is a disruption to their criminal behaviour.

Its not like someone who committed a crime and was nicked then is out on bail for four years is going to be an angel in all that time. 🤦‍♂️
    It also has to be enormously dispiriting for the police and the victims too.
  • IshmaelZ said:

No, he has a point.

Why whataboutery?

There was no reason it would have gone on vaccines had it not gone on space tourism. It could have gone on women or drink, with the rest wasted, to quote George Best.
    They could have made a donation.
    edited October 2021

IshmaelZ said:

No, he has a point.

Why whataboutery?

They could have made a donation.
    They did 😀 after the first trip. $200 million

https://www.geekwire.com/2021/jeff-bezos-gives-away-200m-thanks-amazon-customers-blue-origins-big-launch/
    edited October 2021
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

I doubt it.

Yes. Sikhs in reasonable numbers. Also a significant community of Asian Christians, mostly from Kerala and Goa. Vaz included.
    Is it fair to say that if Labour put up a Hindu candidate, they can’t really lose?
    Taz said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

Nest already make a rather high initial charge of 1.8% on all new contributions.

Yes, it is the Tories kicking the working man and woman. Once their money is in the pension it is pretty much there until they retire..

One thing that Always concerns me with these pension pots is they tie your money up,for decades and you cannot access it yet the govt can chop,and change the rules to,suit.
    Nest is a massive rip off compared to a proper pensions asset manager, it's for lazy companies and management who just want to fulfill the minimum requirement of having a pension scheme.

It should never have existed and companies should have been forced to pick a proper asset manager. It would have avoided the government seeing pensions assets under its management as a potential source of jam today which is what has happened. The worst part is that people who have Nest pensions are the most likely to be low income and part time employees.

The idea is actually quite disgusting because once again wealthy pensioners are all in the private sector so are in the open market which means fees won't rise much at all but the unsavvy working poor will be lumbered with a huge fees increase that will erode a huge amount of their potential accruals and hurt their future retirement incomes. All of it to fund NHS and social care for the old people who won't pay anything extra.

The Tory party isn't fit for purpose.
  • MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

FPT:

Ah hem.

And a pretty sneaky one at that, if the aim is to skim money from pension contributions.

Not quite snaffling coins from the church collection plate, but well on the way in terms of tawdriness. Is this really the level of scrabbling around the government is reduced to?

I really, really hope I've misunderstood this. Please tell me I've misunderstood.
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

I doubt it.

Fair point.
    Perhaps @Foxy could add to this. Leicester
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

I doubt it.

Cheers for that. So Leicester East is not a particularly Muslim part of the city then? So less than ideal Galloway land?
    isam said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

I doubt it.

Is it fair to say that if Labour put up a Hindu candidate, they can’t really lose?
    I wouldn't go quite that far, as both Tories and Lib Dem are likely to do so too, but if it was a candidate with good local roots and track record then it would be a good start. Parachuting in an outsider wouldn't go down well, again.
    isam said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

I doubt it.

As long as his name is Dave from the looks of last time.
    Perhaps a Dave Dave to be on the safe side.
    MaxPB said:

Taz said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

Nest is a massive rip off compared to a proper pensions asset manager, it's for lazy companies and management who just want to fulfill the minimum requirement of having a pension scheme.

It should never have existed and companies should have been forced to pick a proper asset manager. It would have avoided the government seeing pensions assets under its management as a potential source of jam today which is what has happened. The worst part is that people who have Nest pensions are the most likely to be low income and part time employees.

The idea is actually quite disgusting because once again wealthy pensioners are all in the private sector so are in the open market which means fees won't rise much at all but the unsavvy working poor will be lumbered with a huge fees increase that will erode a huge amount of their potential accruals and hurt their future retirement incomes. All of it to fund NHS and social care for the old people who won't pay anything extra.

The Tory party isn't fit for purpose.
    One of my former employers switched away from a pretty decent pension, if you put in 6% they put in 9% and it was a low cost mixed assets fund with Aviva, to NEST when it was launched for all new employees simply to save money.and meet an obligation.

None of our political parties are fit for purpose. It’s a rather depressing scenario.

I think Nest, Like stakeholder pensions. Was well intentioned but the execution utterly,shambolic.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

FPT:

Ah hem.

Good point.
    Great. Another hit on Daughter's business and her employees.

Bastards!

None of the 3 main parties are fit for purpose. All of them useless, greedy, corrupt, inept, cowardly and lying.
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

rcs1000 said:

CatMan said:

Absolutely.

It also has to be enormously dispiriting for the police and the victims too.
    Perhaps the most disturbing aspect of this is access to counselling for victims of crime. This has traditionally been frowned upon by the legal profession. We know rapid talking therapy is as important in some cases as rapid treatment of physical injury. New guidance has been published here, and is a huge step forward, but nowhere near enough.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/publication/draft-guidance-pre-trial-therapy

However, even with this improvement, there are no more counsellors or therapists than there are lawyers, courts or HGV drivers.
    Victims need the case over and done with and the offender punished before real healing can begin. We are creating even more damaged folk with long-term PTSD and trauma.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

FPT:

Ah hem.

Good point.

Bastards!

None of the 3 main parties are fit for purpose. All of them useless, greedy, corrupt, inept, cowardly and lying.
    Any of the minor parties not in your firing line?
  • MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

FPT:

Ah hem.

And a pretty sneaky one at that, if the aim is to skim money from pension contributions.

Not quite snaffling coins from the church collection plate, but well on the way in terms of tawdriness. Is this really the level of scrabbling around the government is reduced to?

I really, really hope I've misunderstood this. Please tell me I've misunderstood.
    You haven't. I work in asset management and it's extremely transparent what the government is aiming to do here, they really are robbing the poorest working age people and destroying any chance of them having a proper private retirement income by making the potential for accruals significantly lower.

I honestly don't think anyone in the Labour party has the wit or wherewithal to explain this measure that will be sold as a way of taxing profits from extra large pension pots.
    That's the political genius, if I've got it right; a way of getting more money for the government now that nobody will notice for decades. And even then, nobody will notice their poorer pensions or link them to the decisions of long-departed politicians.

Blooming Sunak, as shabby as the rest of them. And he has such a nice smile; possibly the nicest since John Major (pre-Black Wednesday version).
    Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

FPT:

Ah hem.

Good point.

Bastards!

This is a hit on the employees, employers will see no increased cost. We're not a pensions provider so I don't have a ready made accruals calculator and I can't say for sure what the exact hit will be but it's going to he big. A working age person with 20-30 years worth of accruals will pay a huge, huge amount more in fees because of this and poorer people with Nest pensions will be handing their money over to the state.
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

I doubt it.

Fair point.
    Perhaps @Foxy could add to this. Leicester
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

I doubt it.

Cheers for that. So Leicester East is not a particularly Muslim part of the city then? So less than ideal Galloway land?
    There is a Muslim community too, particularly around Evington, mostly Gujerati and East African, and a fair number of Somalis in the St Margaret's area. Pretty much everyone is represented in Leicester, we have Jain temple, Chinese community, Philippines, Arabs, Kurds, Eritrean, Slovakian Roma, West Indians particularly from Antigua, and of course many others from these Isles and beyond.
    dixiedean said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

I doubt it.

As long as his name is Dave from the looks of last time.
    Perhaps a Dave Dave to be on the safe side.
    Both Daves were well known local activists for their parties, and I think that mattered more than anything.

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

FPT:

Ah hem.

You haven't. I work in asset management and it's extremely transparent what the government is aiming to do here, they really are robbing the poorest working age people and destroying any chance of them having a proper private retirement income by making the potential for accruals significantly lower.

I honestly don't think anyone in the Labour party has the wit or wherewithal to explain this measure that will be sold as a way of taxing profits from extra large pension pots.
    That's the political genius, if I've got it right; a way of getting more money for the government now that nobody will notice for decades. And even then, nobody will notice their poorer pensions or link them to the decisions of long-departed politicians.

Blooming Sunak, as shabby as the rest of them. And he has such a nice smile; possibly the nicest since John Major (pre-Black Wednesday version).
    It's a copy of what Brown did when he removed dividend tax relief for pension funds. Overnight millions of working age people saw their future income in retirement utterly destroyed. Brown shafted everyone aged between 30 and 50 back then, Sunak is going to do the same now.

Sometimes I wonder whether moving to Zurich is the right thing to do, then the supposedly low tax party comes up with a genuinely evil policy like this which will destroy pension incomes for the worst off and I know that my wife is right about where the UK is heading.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

FPT:

Ah hem.

It's a copy of what Brown did when he removed dividend tax relief for pension funds. Overnight millions of working age people saw their future income in retirement utterly destroyed. Brown shafted everyone aged between 30 and 50 back then, Sunak is going to do the same now.

Sometimes I wonder whether moving to Zurich is the right thing to do, then the supposedly low tax party comes up with a genuinely evil policy like this which will destroy pension incomes for the worst off and I know that my wife is right about where the UK is heading.

Brown was warned about the consequences of his actions too, at the time, by civil servants but still ploughed ahead. Of course many people didn’t realise at the time but the final salary pension in the private sector,pretty much dropped off a cliff after that.

The man is an idiot.
This discussion has been closed.