Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Post conference speech poll looks positive for Starmer – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

tlg86 said:

Sky just said Couzens was known in the police as a rapist and used to 'flash'

I really cannot believe I have written that and it makes you sick to the core

W the actual F???

Jayne Secker of Sky was noticeably upset when she repeated it to Martin Brunt

And I was utterly shocked
    The police culture on nicknames is er... interesting.

There was an armed policeman, who over a period of long service had shot (I think) three people.

A senior officer introduced him to a group of other officers as "our own serial killer"
    I don't have a problem with that. Who would want to be an armed cop? I see them at Waterloo etc. and pity them as it must be incredibly boring and if you are called into action you might have to kill someone. Now, that person might themselves be a killer/threat to life, but that can't be easy. So a bit of dark humour in that context is acceptable.
    The armed policeman in question was disgusted and appalled - and thought it indicated that señor officers were very out of touch with the reality.
    In that case, that's not so good.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    edited September 2021
    Mr. Aslan, I think it stems from what I first (probably, can't be sure) heard at university, the Women Are Wonderful effect.

They want a strong female character but they define her as such rather than portraying her that way through actions (ie strength is innate not evidenced by deeds). This means that writers are unable or unwilling to have a character go up against an evil man and lose. We saw this in The Force Awakens.

But by doing this, the writers neuter the villain. When the enemy isn't a threat, there's no dramatic tension.

Contrast that with Alien and Aliens, when the xenomorphs are terrifying, or Empire Strikes Back.

Edited extra bit: as an aside, the innate nonsense is also behind the idiotic retconning of the Doctor's origin story. He's gone from being an Academy dropout and low level criminal (he stole the TARDIS) who's a good guy because of the things he does to Space Jesus. Innately just awesome. Oh, and female all along.

*sighs*

Glad this didn't happen when I was a teenager, and far more into it.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

Mr. Aslan, I think it stems from what I first (probably, can't be sure) heard at university, the Women Are Wonderful effect.

They want a strong female character but they define her as such rather than portraying her that way through actions (ie strength is innate not evidenced by deeds). This means that writers are unable or unwilling to have a character go up against an evil man and lose. We saw this in The Force Awakens.

But by doing this, the writers neuter the villain. When the enemy isn't a threat, there's no dramatic tension.

Contrast that with Alien and Aliens, when the xenomorphs are terrifying, or Empire Strikes Back.

Edited extra bit: as an aside, the innate nonsense is also behind the idiotic retconning of the Doctor's origin story. He's gone from being an Academy dropout and low level criminal (he stole the TARDIS) who's a good guy because of the things he does to Space Jesus. Innately just awesome. Oh, and female all along.

*sighs*

Morris we love you for it but can you pls remind me why you don't use the quote function?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,112

*sighs*

Hmm, the xenomorphs are female in Alien are they not? Also wanting the best for their little girls too.
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Sarkozy receives 1 year sentence, which he can serve at home with Carla Bruni, for illegal campaign financing in 2012
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10044901/French-ex-President-Nicolas-Sarkozy-guilty-illegal-campaign-financing.html

Was he arguing for a 2 year sentence?
    Did you get your fuel yesterday?
  • Mr. Carnyx, are you suggesting they're allegorical representations of the Woke, infecting existing, healthy franchises and birthing monsters from them?!

Mr. Topping, we all have little idiosyncracies.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited September 2021
    This awful story is going to dominate the news for the next few days

Martin Brunt of Sky relating the words of her family to court and especially her sister Katie, whose thoughts were the most moving and unsettling
    Mr Dancer fairy nuff.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,591

Mr. F, it's baffling when, in sci-fi, people claim Rey's disliked because she's a woman (as opposed to because she's boring) when the likes of Ripley, Sam Carter, and Janeway never got the same shit flung their way because they were better written.

For that matter, the original Star Wars trilogy had Leia.

The endless rehashing and rebooting of series is not great, I think.

Strangely, Jyn Erso doesn't get the dislike that Rey does. Wonder why... or not?
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,457
    edited September 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Sarah Everard was simply walking home. Women must be able to trust the police not fear them. Women's confidence in police will have been shattered. Urgent action needed. Met Commissioner must resign. My letters to Home Sec & Met👇 https://twitter.com/HarrietHarman/status/1443533670950883328/photo/1

Those are powerful letters from Harman. The call for Dick to resign, from one of our leading feminists in the political world over the last 30 years, helps to remove any concern about sacking the first female Met Commissioner, I think.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cyclefree said:

W the actual F???

Carnyx said:

Is that, "rapist" as a nickname or rapist as in actual rapist? Radio might not be too clear on that?
    When he was in the Civil Nuclear Constabulary his nickname amongst colleagues was "The Rapist" because of his creepy behaviour around women, including women colleagues.

Remember that despite this he was accepted into the Met and passed their advanced vetting to become eligible to hold a firearm.

This was known about months ago when he finally pleaded guilty to murder. Despite this Cressida Dick thought she ought to get a second term and Patel has recently extended it for two years.

That is why I have written repeatedly in headers and BTL that there is something toxic in police culture in this country and that Dick should have been sacked.

It is this tolerance for the second-rate, for a lack of leadership and accountability, for incompetence, for a failure to understand what true professionalism means which is amongst the reasons so many of our institutions are failing, are not as good as they ought to be and lack both authority and respect.
    From a process perspective could you have sacked Dick without prejudicing the Couzens trial?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

W the actual F???

I am not suggesting this case should be used to further political ambitions. It shouldn't.

But the more general point about the policing system being unfit for purpose is an area that Starmer should be focusing upon. Law and order is his subject of speciality. I mentioned last night failures in recruitment and the ability of officers to join secret societies. None of that is particularly political, just common sense. The political issues like funding and numbers are an open goal should Starmer choose to aim and shoot

P.S. Priti Patel is Home Secretary and not Sadiq Khan, who is guilty only for policing in London, a role he shares with the Home Secretary who is ultimately responsible for that particular fiasco.
    edited September 2021

Mr. Carnyx, are you suggesting they're allegorical representations of the Woke, infecting existing, healthy franchises and birthing monsters from them?!

Mr. Topping, we all have little idiosyncracies.

No. Just additional role models as strong females.

Edit: it's a long time since I saw the films so I'm not sure if that was the intent - possibly ironic?

Every organisation has wrong 'uns. The question is whether the police's vetting systems are fit for purpose.
  • TOPPING said:

Every organisation has wrong 'uns. The question is whether the police's vetting systems are fit for purpose.
    Well they clearly aren't I would suggest.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Sarkozy receives 1 year sentence, which he can serve at home with Carla Bruni, for illegal campaign financing in 2012
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10044901/French-ex-President-Nicolas-Sarkozy-guilty-illegal-campaign-financing.html

Was he arguing for a 2 year sentence?
    Did you get your fuel yesterday?
    Yes, absolutely no problem. No queue, normal price, unused fuel pumps fully stocked all around me. There is absolutely no problem here at all. I am coming to Oxford tomorrow. A full tank will get me there with a bit to spare but I am concerned that the situation remains distinctly patchy in England.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    edited September 2021
    Stocky said:

By the way, anyone watching Vigil? Everyone seems to really rate it but I think it's mediocre at best.

Promising first episode, Dive, dive, dive! into shite subsequently.
    Tbh general reaction seem to be meh to contemptuous.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    edited September 2021
    Mr. Malmesbury, she's flawed. Which makes her realistic.

Also, don't want to 'spoil' too much, but the idiots who wrote the sequel trilogy totally failed to recognise or understand basic tenets of the Star Wars lore, from laws of physics (the 'Haldo* Manoeuvre' renders the plots of the IV and VI episodes meaningless) to the Force (the events of Episode IX fly in the face of Episodes III and VI).

Edited extra bit: *Holdo

Edited extra bit 2: And that's before we get to how they utterly buggered Luke Skywalker's character.
    Cyclefree said:

Judge's sentencing remarks.

https://twitter.com/judiciaryuk/status/1443533593251307522?s=21

This crime was carefully planned.

It is just inconceivable that this was a first offence. They should be cross checking any prostitutes that have been raped or killed on his beats very carefully.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,699
    The whole Sarah Everard case and what we have found out, and continue to find out, about Couzens is deeply deeply upsetting and gravely concerning.

The Police just seem to thinks it is carry on regardless, he is one bad apple.

Root and branch reform is what is needed. The Police have done it before, on corruption, they need to do it again here.

Cressida Dick has a totally untenable position and should never have got the job in the first place. She should do the honourable thing and stand down.

It is just not good enough, the Police response to this really is not good enough.

How many others are there like him, currently serving.
  • Stocky said:

By the way, anyone watching Vigil? Everyone seems to really rate it but I think it's mediocre at best.

I watched it thinking it would be like Das Boot. It was rubbish.
  • Sky just said Couzens was known in the police as a rapist and used to 'flash'

W the actual F???

Utterly unbelievable if this turns out to be true when full details come though. I cannot see Dick surviving that. In the name of God...
    GLA Confidential.
    Forget it, Jake, it’s Camden Town.
    Dura_Ace said:

I don’t really trust the police anymore. I won’t go out of my way to help them.

The solicitor who kept me of jail told me that there is absolutely zero upside to co-operating with the police in any way whether you are guilty or innocent.
    There's a youtube video called something like "do not co-operate with the Police", it is very interesting to watch. It is a lecture to students.

Especially when a former officer asked all the students if any had driven above the speed limit that morning to get to college of which several freely admitted it.
  • Aslan said:

Mr. F, it's baffling when, in sci-fi, people claim Rey's disliked because she's a woman (as opposed to because she's boring) when the likes of Ripley, Sam Carter, and Janeway never got the same shit flung their way because they were better written.

Ellen Ripley was a fantastic piece of writing a strong female. She had a lot of talent that made you like her, being level headed, courageous and willing to stand up for herself. At the same time she was clearly flawed, regularly getting scared, suffering PTSD and never did near impossible physical feats. She was also clearly female, with her maternal nature playing a big role in the second one, yet her gender was never overdone. You could say the same thing about Sarah Connor.

I find it amazing they got the formula right in the 1980s and yet haven't been able to do it again.
    Aslan said:

Ellen Ripley was a fantastic piece of writing a strong female. She had a lot of talent that made you like her, being level headed, courageous and willing to stand up for herself. At the same time she was clearly flawed, regularly getting scared, suffering PTSD and never did near impossible physical feats. She was also clearly female, with her maternal nature playing a big role in the second one, yet her gender was never overdone. You could say the same thing about Sarah Connor.

I find it amazing they got the formula right in the 1980s and yet haven't been able to do it again.
    This is spot on.

Mr. Malmesbury, she's flawed. Which makes her realistic.

Also, don't want to 'spoil' too much, but the idiots who wrote the sequel trilogy totally failed to recognise or understand basic tenets of the Star Wars lore, from laws of physics (the 'Haldo Manoeuvre' renders the plots of the IV and VI episodes meaningless) to the Force (the events of Episode IX fly in the face of Episodes III and VI).

Yup. And instead of accidentally being perfect at everything without training*, she aquires a team of people with the required skills (pilot, soldier etc) and leads them.

*She is moderately handy in a fight, but given she grew up with the leading rebel er.. freedom fighter as her foster father....
  • Carnyx said:

*sighs*

Hmm, the xenomorphs are female in Alien are they not? Also wanting the best for their little girls too.
    Apart from the Queen Alien, they are described in the novelisation as "not being of either sex".
    SandraMc said:

Stocky said:

Many of these shows, especially the ones that the channels publicise and push to a great degree, ultimately disappoint. The last Line of Duty did. Vigil, we watched 3 episodes.
  • Sky just said Couzens was known in the police as a rapist and used to 'flash'

W the actual F???

I am not suggesting this case should be used to further political ambitions. It shouldn't.

But the more general point about the policing system being unfit for purpose is an area that Starmer should be focusing upon. Law and order is his subject of speciality. I mentioned last night failures in recruitment and the ability of officers to join secret societies. None of that is particularly political, just common sense. The political issues like funding and numbers are an open goal should Starmer choose to aim and shoot

P.S. Priti Patel is Home Secretary and not Sadiq Khan, who is guilty only for policing in London, a role he shares with the Home Secretary who is ultimately responsible for that particular fiasco.
    Er guilty ???
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

It is just inconceivable that this was a first offence. They should be cross checking any prostitutes that have been raped or killed on his beats very carefully.
    I'm not sure about this. It didn't take all that long for the murder team to track him down and solve the case. He didn't exactly do a good job at hiding his actions.
    Cyclefree said:

Read paragraph 19 if nothing else.

Yep, he is spot on.

Carnyx said:

*sighs*

Apart from the Queen Alien, they are described in the novelisation as "not being of either sex".
    Thanks. Like worker bees or ants, then.
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

W the actual F???

Carnyx said:

Is that, "rapist" as a nickname or rapist as in actual rapist? Radio might not be too clear on that?
    When he was in the Civil Nuclear Constabulary his nickname amongst colleagues was "The Rapist" because of his creepy behaviour around women, including women colleagues.

Remember that despite this he was accepted into the Met and passed their advanced vetting to become eligible to hold a firearm.

This was known about months ago when he finally pleaded guilty to murder. Despite this Cressida Dick thought she ought to get a second term and Patel has recently extended it for two years.

That is why I have written repeatedly in headers and BTL that there is something toxic in police culture in this country and that Dick should have been sacked.

It is this tolerance for the second-rate, for a lack of leadership and accountability, for incompetence, for a failure to understand what true professionalism means which is amongst the reasons so many of our institutions are failing, are not as good as they ought to be and lack both authority and respect.
    From a process perspective could you have sacked Dick without prejudicing the Couzens trial?
    Couzens is just another nail in the coffin. I am still unsure how the Operational Commander who mistakenly gave the order to take down a Brazilian electrician wasn't escorted from the premises rather than promoted eventually to Chief Constable.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727

Those are powerful letters from Harman. The call for Dick to resign, from one of our leading feminists in the political world over the last 30 years, helps to remove any concern about sacking the first female Met Commissioner, I think.

Except I don't think our female Home Secretary will do it.

I think she thinks not sacking Dick makes he look hard, and sacking Dick would make her look weak, or something
  • Carnyx said:

Nickname I think
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

I'm not sure about this. It didn't take all that long for the murder team to track him down and solve the case. He didn't exactly do a good job at hiding his actions.
    Yes but the effort that went into this was enormous. Other crimes would not have had that benefit. It just seems inconceivable that someone started at 11 (on the dial) without prior incidents.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,243
    Cyclefree said:

I didn't think there was any more to learn about this case that could make me more apalled than I was already. I was wrong.

W the actual F???

Er guilty ???
    ...of the shambolic way London is policed.
    edited September 2021
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Yep, he is spot on.
    I see he didn't have any reservations aboutd the investigating police - but those would have been a different unit from PC Couzens's anyway.

Para 27 - in fact high praise from him.
    Scott_xP said:

I think she thinks not sacking Dick makes he look hard, and sacking Dick would make her look weak, or something
    She had the very easy option all too recently of not extending her contract. I am just bewildered and disgusted that she didn't take it.
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

*sighs*

I think "drone" is the word used in the scripts....
  • SandraMc said:

Stocky said:

Vigil was OK imo but should have been edited to about half its length. As with Keir Starmer, the protagonist's backstory is front and centre but completely irrelevant. Watch it as a whodunnit race between the underwater and offshore teams. The story finishes about halfway through the final episode and is followed by 20 minutes of padding. The Scottish Tourist Board will be happy with some of the striking land and seascapes.
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes but the effort that went into this was enormous. Other crimes would not have had that benefit. It just seems inconceivable that someone started at 11 (on the dial) without prior incidents.
    I don'tr know if DNA played any part in it but by implication it would have been sampled against the national database - no hits, or at least they are still investigating. Perhaps more focussed on getting the immediate trial done?
    Scott_xP said:

Sacking Dick would mean another "war with the police"

See Plebgate, Damien Greene etc.

Taking on the Police Mafia is a risky business..
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,555
    Carnyx said:

*sighs*

Hmm, the xenomorphs are female in Alien(s) are they not? Also wanting the best for their little girls too.
    The writer on Aliens also penned the film adaptation of Myra Breckenridge.
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Well, there are the allegations of flashing, which is well known to be a precursor of much worse. It wouldn't surprise me if he went from that to what he did to Sarah without anything in between.
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

*sighs*

Hmm, the xenomorphs are female in Alien(s) are they not? Also wanting the best for their little girls too.
    The writer on Aliens also penned the film adaptation of Myra Breckenridge.
    Ta muchly. Don't know that one ... googles ... oh dear. Some confusion or at least unusual approaches to be expected, it would seem.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Taz said:

The whole Sarah Everard case and what we have found out, and continue to find out, about Couzens is deeply deeply upsetting and gravely concerning.

I wonder how many others he's abducted, raped and killed. There is no way that was his first at age 48.
  • Sandpit said:

Life means life. Fantastic news. May that poor lady’s family be allowed to grieve, knowing that one monster with a warrant card will die in prison.

I don't imagine he's going to be very popular with either his fellow inmates or the prison staff either.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

The solicitor who kept me of jail told me that there is absolutely zero upside to co-operating with the police in any way whether you are guilty or innocent.
    There's a youtube video called something like "do not co-operate with the Police", it is very interesting to watch. It is a lecture to students.

Especially when a former officer asked all the students if any had driven above the speed limit that morning to get to college of which several freely admitted it.
    Don’t talk to the police:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE

Seriously, don’t talk to the police.
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

She had the very easy option all too recently of not extending her contract. I am just bewildered and disgusted that she didn't take it.
    It's not just the Home Secretary.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/sep/09/cressida-dicks-term-as-met-chief-will-soon-be-extended-say-sources
    Downing Street has come out in strong support of the embattled Metropolitan police commissioner, Cressida Dick, after a backlash to the government’s decision to extend her time in office...

...“Who else is there?” said one government source, adding: “She remains the best person for the job.”
  • DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

We know there were allegations of indecent exposure. Perhaps now he has been sentenced we will hear about other accusations.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/sep/09/cressida-dicks-term-as-met-chief-will-soon-be-extended-say-sources
    Downing Street has come out in strong support of the embattled Metropolitan police commissioner, Cressida Dick, after a backlash to the government’s decision to extend her time in office...

...“Who else is there?” said one government source, adding: “She remains the best person for the job.”
    That's a worrying situation to be in. She will retire at some point.

Scott_xP said:

The police have their issues, but they are not the Stasi.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,839
    Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

I was once asked if I knew how fast I was driving by the police. I replied that "Well I'm in the back of the police car, so err I am sure you can tell me."
  • Stocky said:

I quite enjoyed it but my wife, who has better taste than me on most matters other than choice of sexual partner, thought it was boring. I found it hard to not think of Paterson Joseph as Johnson from Peep Show, so perfectly did he occupy that role (if you can recall the "endless pooing" scene in particular it's difficult to take him seriously when he is opining in grave tones on some detail of our so called independent nuclear deterrent). The Scottish West Coast scenery was lovely, though. And it was better than Dr Foster, not a high bar admittedly.
  • Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Well Couzens seems to have taken that advice on board..

Sandpit said:

Life means life. Fantastic news. May that poor lady’s family be allowed to grieve, knowing that one monster with a warrant card will die in prison.

I don't imagine he's going to be very popular with either his fellow inmates or the prison staff either.
    Oh well, what a shame.

We do know he likes rape, well I’m sure he’ll experience a few more at some point over the next 30 or 40 years.
  • Cummings concurs on Dick.

Awful decision for PM to keep C Dick - never challenge the permanent bureaucracy is the No10 rule now - & it shd be corrected today if she does not resign. Met leadership performance on this & so much else has been a disaster *& WILL CONTINUE TO BE unless huge management changes*
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

That's a worrying situation to be in. She will retire at some point.
    If evidence of institutional failure is required, that they can find no better person than Dick for the job is slam dunk.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755

I can't get my head around the police employing criminals.

Breaking

Couzens given whole life, meaning he will die in prison

I don't believe in death penalty.

But I do believe those sentenced to life should be given a cyanide capsule or similar, to be used if they wish to take themselves off our hands.

That should certainly apply to Couzens.
    I don't believe in burning at the stake - but I think I could make an exception for Couzens.
  • Sean_F said:

I can't get my head around the police employing criminals.
    Have you not seen "GLA Confidential"? :lol:
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,839
    edited September 2021
    Cyclefree said:

Yes, para 19 is very very important - utterly crucial to the functioning of civil society, and why Couzens needs the maximum available sentence - full life imprisonment as is the case with our laws.
    edited September 2021
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

It’s almost impossible to think that can be a first offence.

As others have said, look around at unsolved rapes and/or murders of prostitutes and homeless women over the past couple of decades. There must be a good chance of finding something that matches Couzens.

Maybe at some point in the future, when it dawns on him that he’s never getting out, he might hopefully feel like talking.
    Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

That is the traditional advice but in the second rape case I was prosecuting in Stirling recently the accused did talk to the police at some length without a solicitor being present and was quite convincing. I thought it was the right thing to do to play the whole interview to the jury and I am convinced it did him no harm whatsoever. He was acquitted.
    edited September 2021

Scott_xP said:

Doesn’t mean it should be avoided where necessary though.

Dick’s position is totally untenable, and the government have screwed up by suggesting otherwise today.

They sound like the football club chairman expressing their full confidence in the manager.

Does the mayor have anything to say, or will he continue his long-standing policy of saying nothing about anything controversial? If he wants to knock seven bells out of the government, now is the time for him to stand up and say that he has no confidence in the Commissioner.
    Carnyx said:

*sighs*

One of the things that makes the xenomorphs great is that they aren't mindless killing machines. You can almost relate to them. Especially, after Ripley comments "I don't know which species is worse. At least they aren't fucking each other over for percentages."
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Dick’s position is totally untenable, and the government have screwed up by suggesting otherwise today.

They sound like the football club chairman expressing their full confidence in the manager...
    They did the same back in February, too.
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

They sound like the football club chairman expressing their full confidence in the manager.

Does the mayor have anything to say, or will he continue his long-standing policy of saying nothing about anything controversial? If he wants to knock seven bells out of the government, now is the time for him to stand up and say that he has no confidence in the Commissioner.
    We need a Mayor like Boris who got rid of Sir Ian Blair, another disastrous appointment.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    edited September 2021
    Course. All of this isn't made easy by the drive to recruit 10 000 new Police Officers.
    If I were interested in raping and sexually abusing women, or anyone else, then it would be a perfectly logical position for me to apply for.
    Police has long been a job of choice for the none too bright inadequate bully who likes ordering folk around.
    Not all Police, obvs.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    edited September 2021
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

W the actual F???

Carnyx said:

Yes - once he had pleaded guilty. And there was absolutely no good reason to extend her term now.
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

I suggested this yesterday. And not just prostitutes. Any unsolved rapes or murders in the areas where he lived and worked.

I also wonder why he gave his police number when he hired a car. It simply does not fit with all the other careful detailed planning he did and the covering up of his tracks.

Did he think that if it were traced he had a mate who could make it disappear? Is there any link to the amazingly convenient fact that he wiped the same phone only moments before he was arrested?

This too needs looking into.
  • Sean_F said:

Carnyx said:

*sighs*

One of the things that makes the xenomorphs great is that they aren't mindless killing machines. You can almost relate to them. Especially, after Ripley comments "I don't know which species is worse. At least they aren't fucking each other over for percentages."
    "You know, Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them fucking each other over for a goddam percentage!"
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

W the actual F???

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

I suggested this yesterday. And not just prostitutes. Any unsolved rapes or murders in the areas where he lived and worked.

I also wonder why he gave his police number when he hired a car. It simply does not fit with all the other careful detailed planning he did and the covering up of his tracks.

Did he think that if it were traced he had a mate who could make it disappear? Is there any link to the amazingly convenient fact that he wiped the same phone only moments before he was arrested?

How on earth does he have permission to wipe a police-issue phone, and why there’s not a backup of it on police servers, are yet more questions to ask of the Met.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

W the actual F???

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

But won't be. The bad apple narrative may be shattered.
    Incidentally. Rotten apple spoils the barrel originally meant the opposite.
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

We need a Mayor like Boris who got rid of Sir Ian Blair, another disastrous appointment.
    As opposed to a PM like Boris who has twice this year expressed full backing for Dick ?
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

As opposed to a PM like Boris who has twice this year expressed full backing for Dick ?
    Exactly 😜
  • AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

*sighs*

The face huggers are clearly male though. Interspecies rapists.
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

That was a highly political dismissal. Blair was seen as politically inconsistent with Johnson.
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes - Cameron was given a list of demand by ACPoo when he entered No. 10 that included stopping any further enquiries/legal stuff re Hillsborough. Cameron apparently asked "who do they think they are?"

The whole "government hostile to the police" thing came from that.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    Sean_F said:

Carnyx said:

*sighs*

I can never look at an Ichneumon wasp without thinking of the first film.

Who would be a caterpillar?
  • As well as a lady Dick in charge of the Met, there's also a lady Ball in charge of "professionalism" in the Met for the last 4 years.

Should Ball get the chop too?
  • Aslan said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

*sighs*

In the novelisation of Alien 3, the facehugger that stowed away on the EV was described as "It didn't want sex, for it had none. Just a desire to procreate."
    edited September 2021
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Yep, he is spot on.
    I see he didn't have any reservations aboutd the investigating police - but those would have been a different unit from PC Couzens's anyway.

It is standard for the judge to praise the police at the end of major investigations. And they certainly did a good job here. It is though the very minimum we should expect.
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Only because he gave his police phone number to the hire car company. A curious mistake to make for someone who did so much other planning. Especially as he would have known that running a telephone number through the police computer would have been the first thing the police would do.

I think there is more to this particular aspect.

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes - Cameron was given a list of demand by ACPoo when he entered No. 10 that included stopping any further enquiries/legal stuff re Hillsborough. Cameron apparently asked "who do they think they are?"

The whole "government hostile to the police" thing came from that.
    Oh well. As much sympathy for the police over Hillsborough, as I have for Wayne Couzens today.

I feel like listening to NWA albums this afternoon.
    Cyclefree said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Yep, he is spot on.

It is standard for the judge to praise the police at the end of major investigations. And they certainly did a good job here. It is though the very minimum we should expect.
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Only because he gave his police phone number to the hire car company. A curious mistake to make for someone who did so much other planning. Especially as he would have known that running a telephone number through the police computer would have been the first thing the police would do.

You clearly think he had an accomplice in the Met, which is deeply worrying if true.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,179

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

That was a highly political dismissal. Blair was seen as politically inconsistent with Johnson.
    There are plenty of Tories that are inconsistent with Johnson...
    NEW THREAD
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

AlistairM said:

What's the fuel situation like out there at the moment?

Locally for us the village petrol station ran out again this morning after queues down the road. They are due another delivery sometime tomorrow. However, many more petrol stations in the area seem to have petrol than previously and queues are only small. Going to be better by the weekend?

Queues started Friday last week and I said at the time I thought it would be a 5 day panic. Looks like I was a few days too optimistic.

I learned yesterday that it is possible to phone up a petrol station and ask. Very helpful. Called one BP garage they said no they hadn't got any fuel but the one half a mile away did have. Phoned them and yes they did and yes my car has petrol now. Not excessive queues either.

I do sense, however, that there is petrol shortage crisis fatigue. Not hearing as much about it - perhaps it has been subsumed into the general dystopian post-Brexit, post-Covid world as just being another Bad Thing happening to us.
    It has a natural lifecycle because once you've filled up your car, how do you panic buy the same amount of fuel again?

You can't, unless you drive like crazy to burn it all up, and no-one is - in fact, people will be altering their behaviour to conserve fuel once they've got it.

This will peter out by the weekend.
    I hope @DavidL found his fuel as he had expected it to peter out by yesterday.

And yes of course it will peter out at some point. And are we - are you - giving the govt a free pass just one of those things hey ho in letting the country run out/so low on fuel?
    It did peter out by yesterday.

Nationwide over three quarters of stations were fully operational by yesterday, versus 20% a few days earlier.

Its all over bar the shouting. There'll be a few pockets were morons are still draining every bit they can, but especially where people aren't dingbats it is over.
    So as I asked - do we give the govt a free pass over it just one of those things?
    Yes.

Just as Blair got months after 2000.

Shit happens sometimes, especially if people are being silly. Preventing it would require an absurd amount of redundancy that would make things ludicrously expensive the rest of the time. To prevent it we'd probably be paying motorway prices (or higher) for the rest of time.

No thanks.
    tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Yep, he is spot on.

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

You clearly think he had an accomplice in the Met, which is deeply worrying if true.
    I think it needs looking into. If only to eliminate the possibility of there being someone prepared to cover for police wrongdoers. How do you think all those corrupt policemen in the past got away with it. Because they had mates who turned a blind eye or covered up. Look at the number of officers who have been investigated for other crimes of sexual abuse against women in the Met.

It is possible Couzens was simply arrogant. But it's odd. He did not make any other mistakes. So why this obvious one, one which he surely knew about?

He also has not talked to the police at all. So we don't know the entirety of what happened on the journey.
  • PhilPhil Posts: 1,919
    edited September 2021
    tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Yep, he is spot on.

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

It does seem astonishing that he clearly thought he could get away with this murder whereas, given the level of surveilance of our society & the lack of traffic during lockdown, his vehicle was going to stick out like the proverbial sore thumb on that night, (plus there were apparently witnesses & CCTV from a passing bus IIRC?)

So it seems likely that he’s done something similar before & got away with it. Perhaps he took women in the past who were less likely to be believed; street prostitutes or homeless women maybe.

The MET knows this perfectly well, so they have a very strong incentive /not/ to go looking because any such outcome will reflect terribly on them & they know it. I expect them to try and claim that this was an horrific one-off crime, regardless of the reality.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653

Stocky said:

I quite enjoyed it but my wife, who has better taste than me on most matters other than choice of sexual partner, thought it was boring. I found it hard to not think of Paterson Joseph as Johnson from Peep Show, so perfectly did he occupy that role (if you can recall the "endless pooing" scene in particular it's difficult to take him seriously when he is opining in grave tones on some detail of our so called independent nuclear deterrent). The Scottish West Coast scenery was lovely, though. And it was better than Dr Foster, not a high bar admittedly.
    Yes! Paterson Joseph was superb in Peep Show. Perfect.
    Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, para 19 is very very important - utterly crucial to the functioning of civil society, and why Couzens needs the maximum available sentence - full life imprisonment as is the case with our laws.
    Paragraph 27 is also worth reading.
    Cyclefree said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Yep, he is spot on.

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

It is depressing that we are all taking down the police. It is a sad day when we lose respect for authority.

As an aside. When my eldest was diagnosed with ASD aged about 6, my wife asked the consultant the one piece of advice he would give to my son as a life lesson to ensure his autism didn't impact on his life. He said "never, ever, allow him to be interviewed by the police without representation". He cited Stefan Kisko as an example of why it was a bad idea not to have a lawyer present.
    edited September 2021
    Aslan said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

*sighs*

Not necessarily - asexual stage in the life cycle, injecting the next stage. Like the kentrogon larva in parasitic barnacles.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    Carnyx said:

Aslan said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

*sighs*

Not necessarily - asexual stage in the life cycle, injecting the next stage. Like the kentrogon larva in parasitic barnacles.
    In parasitic wasps it is the female that injects eggs into the host caterpillar/spider for the young to eat their way out of.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Cyclefree said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Yep, he is spot on.

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

It is depressing that we are all taking down the police. It is a sad day when we lose respect for authority.
    Such sad days are necessary of course.
This discussion has been closed.