Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The tabloids make their guesses on how much Emma will make – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2021 in General
imageThe tabloids make their guesses on how much Emma will make – politicalbetting.com

Welcome to tabloid fantasy land where the Mirror, Mail and Express each have a stab on how much the 18 year old US Open Tennis winner from Bromley in Kent is going to make. As can be seen from the front pages there is a wide variation which means, I’d suggest, that none of them has a clue.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    1h
    PM will unveil his Winter Plan to avoid a Christmas lockdown — with booster jabs for the over-50s at its core.
    @TheSun
    can reveal third doses are to be rolled out in a similar way to the first vaccine drive, starting with the most elderly and vulnerable.

Good......
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Anthony Bourdain in Shanghai in about 2012. Jesus he saw it all coming

His tv show was just brilliant.
    A proper genius. Incredibly articulate, honest, clever, insightful. He makes political predictions that are - or were - way ahead of any pundit

In this episode he skewers the New Chinese Rich mercilessly, by saying just nothing, and letting them speak for themselves
    I really want to rewatch his old shows, but I think it will make me quite sad.
  • Suspect the £1billion is closer to the mark in this social media age.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,049
    edited September 2021
    No one is a real winner unless they cash in?

Corinthianism is long dead.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    edited September 2021
    Congratulations to her, she did a great job to win the title from the qualifiers.

However isn't this thread header a bit vulgar and a bit too American? I notice at the presentation yesterday the interviewer told her how much her paycheque was, you wouldn't dream of hearing that at Wimbledon.

Yes the tabloids and midmarket papers may speculate but I would hope PB was more broadsheet

edited September 2021
    Djokovic beaten by Medvedev in US Open men's singles final in another upset
  • TresTres Posts: 2,159
    I sense the thread is intended to trigger those who insist the London Borough of Bromley is within the boundaries of Greater London.
  • I've got a more measurable Raducanu challenge we can do on PB than her earnings.

What will be her world ranking in a year?

I'm taking number 1
  • HYUFD said:

I hope Medvedev's vaccinated!
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,837
    HYUFD said:

A little bit but not massively. Novak hasn't looked good all tournament and Medvedev is a class player. Calendar slam just a bridge too far. Shame. Poor final too. The women's was where it was at this year.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2021

I've got a more measurable Raducanu challenge we can do on PB than her earnings.

I'm taking number 1

I highly doubt it. Doing it every week, in a different city, its really really hard. And also, your opponents will now be carefully studying your game and looking to expose every weakness.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    edited September 2021
    Tres said:

I sense the thread is intended to trigger those who insist the London Borough of Bromley is within the boundaries of Greater London.

Patriotic, Middle class, Royal family loving, grammar school girl from Beckenham the toast of the lefty remainers, who’dve thunk it?
    edited September 2021
    Tres said:

Indeed, Bromley is as much a part of Kent as Havering is part of Essex (my parents grew up in Bromley and my sister lives there so I know it well)
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206

Leon said:

Leon said:

A proper genius. Incredibly articulate, honest, clever, insightful. He makes political predictions that are - or were - way ahead of any pundit

In this episode he skewers the New Chinese Rich mercilessly, by saying just nothing, and letting them speak for themselves
    They don't make you sad! They're all on YouTube now

They are re-watchable in a remarkable way, because of the cooking element which somehow makes them timeless, whereas a pure political or cultural show would be boring and dated

It's a weird alchemy but it is true and it works. Bourdain writes vivid culinary postcards with prescient sociopolitical warnings

The end of the Shanghai episode I just watched just says "China is the future" which could easily be obvious, truistic drivel in the wrong hands, but via Bourdain and his team, it becomes sobering, brilliant, moving even. He's telling us there will be bad shit that comes with this, but great noodles. We will gain economically, but there will be dark horizons. The final shot is of Shanghai in a grey black mist with endless new traffic flowing and flowing

The shows are genius and worthy of replaying
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

They are re-watchable in a remarkable way, because of the cooking element which somehow makes them timeless, whereas a pure political or cultural show would be boring and dated

It's a weird alchemy but it is true and it works. Bourdain writes vivid culinary postcards with prescient sociopolitical warnings

The end of the Shanghai episode I just watched just says "China is the future" which could easily be obvious, truistic drivel in the wrong hands, but via Bourdain and his team, it becomes sobering, brilliant, moving even. He's telling us there will be bad shit that comes with this, but great noodles. We will gain economically, but there will be dark horizons. The final shot is of Shanghai in a grey black mist with endless new traffic flowing and flowing

No Reservations incarnation was my favourite, the layover ones my least.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, fantastic shows. A crying shame, and quite mysterious, what happened to AB
  • BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,129
    edited September 2021

I've got a more measurable Raducanu challenge we can do on PB than her earnings.

I'm taking number 1

I highly doubt it. Doing it every week, in a different city, its really really hard. And also, your opponents will now be carefully studying your game and looking to expose every weakness.
    I thinks she's genuinely phenomenal. And she is - please god injury-free - surely guaranteed to improve during her first year on the Tour. And she's now going to have the very best everything support wise. If she can stay focused on the tennis for a year, I can't see why not.
    isam said:

Tres said:

Patriotic, Middle class, Royal family loving, grammar school girl from Beckenham the toast of the lefty remainers, who’dve thunk it?
    Bromley did vote Remain after all.
    isam said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I got all hell on here for pointing out that his multiple tattoos were a warning sign. He does them on the show.

He admits in his brilliant memoir he is a manic-depressive, hence his heroin addiction and the rest. The women and the cocaine. Enormously funny, and smart, but given to bouts of ennui, anomie or even self loathing

He constantly says on the show "I have the best job in the world" and he probably does, in many ways, yet you see the darkness, sometimes. The lack of a settled family life, perhaps. Plus guilt?

Yet none of that consigned him to certain suicide. He was just a roller-coaster ride and could easily be alive today, and happy, if those around him had been a bit more aware. Hence my warning about tatts. They are a signal
  • Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I got all hell on here for pointing out that his multiple tattoos were a warning sign. He does them on the show.

He admits in his brilliant memoir he is a manic-depressive, hence his heroin addiction and the rest. The women and the cocaine. Enormously funny, and smart, but given to bouts of ennui, anomie or even self loathing

He constantly says on the show "I have the best job in the world" and he probably does, in many ways, yet you see the darkness, sometimes. The lack of a settled family life, perhaps. Plus guilt?

Yet none of that consigned him to certain suicide. He was just a roller-coaster ride and could easily be alive today, and happy, if those around him had been a bit more aware. Hence my warning about tatts. They are a signal
    Didn't he separate from his second wife then have a tempestuous romance with an Italian lady (who is on some of the shows), which came to an end?
    Boris is prime minister. They are not. He will be PM for years to come. I doubt he gives a living fuck who shows up, especially Cameron

• BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,129
    edited September 2021
    Dame Emma has as yet, as far as I can tell, not told us her position on vaccines.

For me, until she does come out as anti-anti-vaxer, she can't be Queen Emma.

Having that silly thought did make me think: have the goodest of the good youth (and government) influencers Marcus and Greta had their vaccines? Or opined on them?

From a quick Rashford Vaccine google I only see references to them wanting MR as a pro vax spokesman, which seems to imply he didn't want to do so?

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Didn't he separate from his second wife then have a tempestuous romance with an Italian lady (who is on some of the shows), which came to an end?
    Somewhat more complex than that, but yes. Basically

She has been blamed by many, but I think that is unfair. There are moments much earlier in his TV career when he dips towards suicidal depression, visibly, on camera - there is one in Sicily, which is particularly vivid. It is one of the things which makes him so watchable

He was just a high-low guy. It's all out there on display. The TV guys should have bought a better trampoline for him
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

Leon said:

Leon said:

It will make you sad.

He was truly great.

Strangely, I read a couple of his novels before he was famous. They weren't bad.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Somewhat more complex than that, but yes. Basically

She has been blamed by many, but I think that is unfair. There are moments much earlier in his TV career when he dips towards suicidal depression, visibly, on camera - there is one in Sicily, which is particularly vivid. It is one of the things which makes him so watchable

He was just a high-low guy. It's all out there on display. The TV guys should have bought a better trampoline for him
    Yes, Asia is rather lazily cast as the villain, in an otherwise excellent documentary.
  • Three in last four headers of serious political analysis blog politicalbetting.com contain the name Raducanu

Is she the biggest thing EVER?
    Re Bourdain, it's remarkable how many chefs die young. I worked as a kitchen porter as a teenager, and they pretty much all drank too much, smoked, and used stimulants to deal with the horrendous hours. They were also poorly paid and poorly treated.

Most restaurants are shitty businesses.

Three in last four headers of serious political analysis blog politicalbetting.com contain the name Raducanu

No, or they wouldn't have spelt it wrong 33% of the time.

Three in last four headers of serious political analysis blog politicalbetting.com contain the name Raducanu

No, I just think everyone is YEARNING to talk about Matters Other Than Covid. I certainly am. Enough, enough
  • Tres said:

No, or they wouldn't have spelt it wrong 33% of the time.
    I noticed that too, but then I noticed I'd spelt it wrongly at least once too. So had kept my mouth shut!
  • Leon said:

No, I just think everyone is YEARNING to talk about Matters Other Than Covid. I certainly am. Enough, enough
    I think she might actually be so uniquely impressive.

As you highlighted earlier, her connection with China and command of Mandarin gives her a near unprecedented opportunity (was Michael Chang of Chinese origin and did he make money in China from that?)

She almost literally, literally has the world at her feet
  • Leon said:

As you highlighted earlier, her connection with China and command of Mandarin gives her a near unprecedented opportunity (was Michael Chang of Chinese origin and did he make money in China from that?)

That was a very different era. He won the French Open at the same time as the Tiananmen Square massacre was upfolding.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited September 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Re Bourdain, it's remarkable how many chefs die young. I worked as a kitchen porter as a teenager, and they pretty much all drank too much, smoked, and used stimulants to deal with the horrendous hours. They were also poorly paid and poorly treated.

As anyone who's read "Down and Out in Paris and London" will know.
  • Leon said:

That was a very different era. He won the French Open at the same time as the Tiananmen Square massacre was upfolding.
    That's what I thought, but didn't want to rule him out as he was the only major winning Chinese origin player I could think of. But I don't know tennis very well.
    edited September 2021
    Some decent CDC data out on vaccines post Delta: https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/09/unvaccinated-are-5x-more-likely-to-catch-delta-11x-more-likely-to-die/

TL;DR: pre-Delta vaccines were c. 95% effective at keeping people out of hospital. With Delta, this has dropped to 89% effective. And they are still almost 80% effective at preventing symptomatic infection.
  • Ooh, just thought of another Raducanu hypothetical..

If Emma said tomorrow that she hated Brexit, and me for supporting it, I'll still support her as strongly as I am now.

If she were to come out in support for Brexit could Remainers (or whatever you call yourselves) say the same?

I love to make it all about Brexit. In case Scott takes a day off

Ooh, just thought of another Raducanu hypothetical..

If Emma said tomorrow that she hated Brexit, and me for supporting it, I'll still support her as strongly as I am now.

If she were to come out in support for Brexit could Remainers (or whatever you call yourselves) say the same?

She is (a) young, (b) from a very pro-EU part of the world (Wimbledon), and (c) has a parent with an EU citizenship (I expect). Plus I suspect she will also be rightly insulted that the leader of the Brexit campaign said he wouldn't like Romanians living next door.

So, I suspect she will be inherently Brexit-sceptical.

But I also suspect that she's going to have quite a lot on her plate for the next decade. So I'm not going to worry about it.
  • Leon said:

*unfolding*
  • rcs1000 said:

She is (a) young, (b) from a very pro-EU part of the world (Wimbledon), and (c) has a parent with an EU citizenship (I expect). Plus I suspect she will also be rightly insulted that the leader of the Brexit campaign said he wouldn't like Romanians living next door.

But I also suspect that she's going to have quite a lot on her plate for the next decade. So I'm not going to worry about it.
    I agree with all you've said, and still have no idea or care for what she thinks about Brexit.

The point is I would still support her if she does get all anti Brexit on us (I don't expect any politics from her at all, it was posed as hypothetical). If she got all pro-Brexit would Remainers feel the same about her? I doubt it

Leon said:

*unfolding*
    I prefer upfolding. Stick with it.

rcs1000 said:

I agree with all you've said, and still have no idea or care for what she thinks about Brexit.

The point is I would still support her if she does get all anti Brexit on us (I don't expect any politics from her at all, it was posed as hypothetical). If she got all pro-Brexit would Remainers feel the same about her? I doubt it
    I wonder, though, if we do that because (given her background) you'd expect her to be anti-Brexit.

If she came from a tough working class background in Grimsby, and was pro-Remain, I think we might think a bit differently.

It's always "class traitors" that people have the biggest issue with.
  • rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I wonder, though, if we do that because (given her background) you'd expect her to be anti-Brexit.

If she came from a tough working class background in Grimsby, and was pro-Remain, I think we might think a bit differently.

I do so hope she doesn't actually descend to any politics (at least until she wants to be PM!)

She can be a bit greener than Hamilton, but can't be a tennis superstar without flying everywhere, and so will still similarly be a bit of a hypocrite if she tries to be all green.

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I do so hope she doesn't actually descend to any politics (at least until she wants to be PM!)

She can be a bit greener than Hamilton, but can't be a tennis superstar without flying everywhere, and so will still similarly be a bit of a hypocrite if she tries to be all green.
    Given how ridiculously talented she is - A* in maths at A Level, fluent Chinese, Kent Lawn Tennis Player of the Year 2021 - surely being PM would be within her reach :smile:
  • rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Given how ridiculously talented she is - A* in maths at A Level, fluent Chinese, Kent Lawn Tennis Player of the Year 2021 - surely being PM would be within her reach :smile:
    I thought about Queen, then I heard Empress Emma..
  • Some antivax class in defeat shown by the Djoker..

https://twitter.com/RupertMyers/status/1437178940976676864
  • Some antivax class in defeat shown by the Djoker..

https://twitter.com/RupertMyers/status/1437178940976676864

Knobhead....and why I will always hold Federer and Nadal in much higher regard.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited September 2021
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I was thinking in terms of her being Queen and prime minister at the same time.
  • Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I was thinking in terms of her being Queen and prime minister at the same time.
    So President then?
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited September 2021
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

There is a tennis court at Chequers so she'd be able to keep her hand in while running the country.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/advantage-cameron-pm-beats-tennis-legend-boris-becker-k8g9xkxpjxt
  • Leon said:

Boris is prime minister. They are not. He will be PM for years to come. I doubt he gives a living fuck who shows up, especially Cameron

Invitations declined by Blair, Brown and Cameron. No wonder Boris hates the BBC. Apparently Boris left it too late to invite them, suggesting he only recently noticed the Chequers centenary. It is a small thing yet consistent with Boris's reputation as a chaotic Prime Minister with no grasp of detail.
  • Microsoft has published a study of WFH patterns based on its own 60,000 American workers. They found a reduction in communication between teams (quality and quantity) making it harder for employees to share or acquire knowledge, and which may lead to a reduction in productivity and innovation.

Our results show that firm-wide remote work caused the collaboration network of workers to become more static and siloed, with fewer bridges between disparate parts. Furthermore, there was a decrease in synchronous communication and an increase in asynchronous communication. Together, these effects may make it harder for employees to acquire and share new information across the network.

Our results suggest that shifting to firm-wide remote work caused the collaboration network to become more heavily siloed—with fewer ties that cut across formal business units or bridge structural holes in Microsoft’s informal collaboration network—and that those silos became more densely connected. Furthermore, the network became more static, with fewer ties added and deleted per month. Previous research suggests that these changes in collaboration patterns may impede the transfer of knowledge and reduce the quality of workers’ output. Our results also indicate that the shift to firm-wide remote work caused synchronous communication to decrease and asynchronous communication to increase. Not only were the communication media that workers used less synchronous, but they were also less ‘rich’ (for example, email and IM). These changes in communication media may have made it more difficult for workers to convey and process complex information

We expect that the effects we observe on workers’ collaboration and communication patterns will impact productivity and, in the long-term, innovation.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-021-01196-4
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727
    Leon said:

I doubt he gives a living fuck who shows up, especially Cameron

He clearly does though
  • Foxy said:

Airstrip One syndrome.

England has ceased to be English.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Microsoft has published a study of WFH patterns based on its own 60,000 American workers. They found a reduction in communication between teams (quality and quantity) making it harder for employees to share or acquire knowledge, and which may lead to a reduction in productivity and innovation.

Our results show that firm-wide remote work caused the collaboration network of workers to become more static and siloed, with fewer bridges between disparate parts. Furthermore, there was a decrease in synchronous communication and an increase in asynchronous communication. Together, these effects may make it harder for employees to acquire and share new information across the network.

Our results suggest that shifting to firm-wide remote work caused the collaboration network to become more heavily siloed—with fewer ties that cut across formal business units or bridge structural holes in Microsoft’s informal collaboration network—and that those silos became more densely connected. Furthermore, the network became more static, with fewer ties added and deleted per month. Previous research suggests that these changes in collaboration patterns may impede the transfer of knowledge and reduce the quality of workers’ output. Our results also indicate that the shift to firm-wide remote work caused synchronous communication to decrease and asynchronous communication to increase. Not only were the communication media that workers used less synchronous, but they were also less ‘rich’ (for example, email and IM). These changes in communication media may have made it more difficult for workers to convey and process complex information

We expect that the effects we observe on workers’ collaboration and communication patterns will impact productivity and, in the long-term, innovation.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-021-01196-4

I guess that’s what happens when they all use Teams.
  • Foxy said:

Airstrip One syndrome.

Do we class you as an 'English expert' now? ;)
  • rcs1000 said:

Some decent CDC data out on vaccines post Delta: https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/09/unvaccinated-are-5x-more-likely-to-catch-delta-11x-more-likely-to-die/

TL;DR: pre-Delta vaccines were c. 95% effective at keeping people out of hospital. With Delta, this has dropped to 89% effective. And they are still almost 80% effective at preventing symptomatic infection.

Most of these would be Pfizer with 3 week dosing interval? Which may not be the optimum gap.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Ahem. Talent (and certainly not of an intellectual sort) isn’t actually one of the requirements.
  • Nearly a third of people arriving in England and Northern Ireland as the coronavirus Delta variant took off may have broken quarantine rules.
    More than 300,000 cases were passed to investigators between March and May, according to figures seen by the BBC.
    The government was not able to say how many of these were found to have broken the rules or could not be traced.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-58517123.amp
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,049

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

There is a tennis court at Chequers so she'd be able to keep her hand in while running the country.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/advantage-cameron-pm-beats-tennis-legend-boris-becker-k8g9xkxpjxt
    Is there a lake handy for her morning stroll?
  • Leon said:

Invitations declined by Blair, Brown and Cameron. No wonder Boris hates the BBC. Apparently Boris left it too late to invite them, suggesting he only recently noticed the Chequers centenary. It is a small thing yet consistent with Boris's reputation as a chaotic Prime Minister with no grasp of detail.
    I am sure he will be very hurt by your comment.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,728
    edited September 2021
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Ahem. Talent (and certainly not of an intellectual sort) isn’t actually one of the requirements.
    Arguably the opposite. Since 1900 there have been three properly intellectual PMs - Balfour, Wilson and Brown. (Some others have been very clever, e.g. Lloyd George and John Major, without having been trained to high academic standards. Or went into a career straight from uni like Thatcher or Attlee.)

Of those three PMs, they won three elections between them - two by narrow margins. And all three were won by Wilson.
  • Good morning, everyone.

F1: splendid race last time. Next up is Russia, where passing is hard, so the 3 place grid penalty may be a relatively tricky thing for Verstappen to overcome.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Arguably the opposite. Since 1900 there have been three properly intellectual PMs - Balfour, Wilson and Brown. (Some others have been very clever, e.g. Lloyd George and John Major, without having been trained to high academic standards. Or went into a career straight from uni like Thatcher or Attlee.)

Of those three PMs, they won three elections between them - two by narrow margins. And all three were won by Wilson.
    How do you define intellectual?
  • Leon said:

The invitations were issued by the Chequers Trust - why is Johnson responsible for their being "late" (one month's notice - given the uncertainty over COVID, is that surprising)?

Goodness knows there's plenty of stuff of substance to criticise Johnson over.....
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

In this case, worked as academics in some way shape or form. (Not that Balfour would be flattered to be told he ‘worked’.)

I appreciate it’s a rather broad and imperfect definition.

Good morning, everyone.

F1: splendid race last time. Next up is Russia, where passing is hard, so the 3 place grid penalty may be a relatively tricky thing for Verstappen to overcome.

So we should expect Perez to be the one taking out Hamilton this time, as it was Bottas on Verstappen the other week?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

In this case, worked as academics in some way shape or form. (Not that Balfour would be flattered to be told he ‘worked’.)

I appreciate it’s a rather broad and imperfect definition.
    I’m not sure it’s a surprise that academics don’t necessarily make good PMs, though I appreciate that, as ever, we only have a small sample.
  • Leon said:

I am sure he will be very hurt by your comment.
    I am sure that he won't give a toss. That is to miss the point, however.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited September 2021

Leon said:

The invitations were issued by the Chequers Trust - why is Johnson responsible for their being "late" (one month's notice - given the uncertainty over COVID, is that surprising)?

Goodness knows there's plenty of stuff of substance to criticise Johnson over.....
    How much notice did the government have of the centenary? Three months? Six months? 100 years?

And note that I am not really criticising Boris but pointing out that it is another piece of the jigsaw confirming previous doubts that will be held by those who do matter.
  • Mr. Doethur, to be fair, Verstappen also took out himself, whereas at Silverstone Hamilton got the race win.

He may take an engine penalty there but it'll put him right at the back.
  • Foxy said:

Airstrip One syndrome.

Been forced to observe England and the English since the Winter of Discontent. I am an involuntary expert. I can assure you: you lot have changed. And not for the better.
  • No one gives a fcuk about men’s tennis any longer it appears.

Very telling. Gey few tennis fans around here. But BritNat Central.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226

Leon said:

How much notice did the government have of the centenary? Three months? Six months? 100 years?

And note that I am not really criticising Boris but pointing out that it is another piece of the jigsaw confirming previous doubts that will be held by those who do matter.
    Someone you don’t know or like much moves into your old house and invites you to a party there…
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Interesting.

In any event, getting A in Maths nowadays only makes you moderately above average, and speaking the same language as your mother hardly makes you super-clever.
  • Foxy said:

Airstrip One syndrome.

Been forced to observe England and the English since the Winter of Discontent. I am an involuntary expert. I can assure you: you lot have changed. And not for the better.
    You really ought to re-read what you just wrote and consider how it would read if reversed (say, against Scotland), and how you would feel.

"Been forced to observe Scotland and the Scottish since the 1970s. I am an involuntary expert. I can assure you: you lot have changed. And not for the better."
  • Morning all! Shopping tip - buy big bags of pasta this week before the news of the impending pasta availability crunch becomes well known. TBH may as well buy anything you like that has long dates on it as the price inflation tsunami is about to crash into supermarkets.

Mr. Doethur, to be fair, Verstappen also took out himself, whereas at Silverstone Hamilton got the race win.

Without one, he’s surely going to struggle?

isam said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

I just hope that Emma Raducanu has stayed off Twitter. This argument about whether or not she's secretly Romanian is both patronising and racist. Why is it impossible to celebrate her victory and potentially amazing career she's got ahead of her without bringing race into it?

Judging by her social media, she very rarely used Twitter, and all she does there is make anodyne and pleasant statements about her friends, her country, the royals, English football, F1, and her A Levels. Immensely sensible

Her bigger presence is on Insta where she suddenly has 1.4m followers and is one of the biggest tennis stars on the planet already. If the Chinese really take to this Mandarin speaking teenager, she will own the world. Plus Tik Tok
    Yes I've followed her on Instagram along with what feels like half of my Instagram followers. If she actually does it herself it might be interesting, if it's just over managed and sanitised content loads of people will unfollow in a few weeks.
    Good for her. Let it stay sanitised and boring. She is just 18. She should steer entirely clear of politics and religion and Woke and anything like that. I doubt people will unfollow her. Fangirls will stan her to the edge of the universe

She'll get 10m followers within a year, if she carries on winning
    Yes well if she keeps winning she'll be a global superstar. I also wouldn't want her to comment on any of that, Instagram isn't a good platform for it anyway. All you do is annoy everyone by talking about it. I think one of the Hadid sisters lost loads of followers when she started banging on about Israel/Palestine. People don't go on Instagram to be preached at, it's probably one of the last places on the internet that sits outside of politics.
    It is Twitter for good looking people
    That’ll explain why I’m on Insta but not Twitter.

Blimey. Andy Murray's been eclipsed as Britain's tennis star for less than 48 hours.

Morning all! Shopping tip - buy big bags of pasta this week before the news of the impending pasta availability crunch becomes well known. TBH may as well buy anything you like that has long dates on it as the price inflation tsunami is about to crash into supermarkets.

Getting stuff for your Christmas dinner already?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,550

A little way to go before she overtakes Brexit - which you’re still talking about when talking about her.
    But possibly.
  • Foxy said:

Airstrip One syndrome.

You really ought to re-read what you just wrote and consider how it would read if reversed (say, against Scotland), and how you would feel.

"Been forced to observe Scotland and the Scottish since the 1970s. I am an involuntary expert. I can assure you: you lot have changed. And not for the better."
    Tell you what, the day you manage to flick through 200 television channels and not hear a single English person speaking, but 175 Scots and a few Yanks and Antipodeans, *then* you would be 100% justified in writing such a sentence.

That is everyday life for many Scots: immersed in their neighbours’ gunge.
  • IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Interesting.

In any event, getting A in Maths nowadays only makes you moderately above average, and speaking the same language as your mother hardly makes you super-clever.
    Erm, I think this subthread started with a joke – "A* in maths at A Level, fluent Chinese, Kent Lawn Tennis Player of the Year 2021" – rather than a serious proposition.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

No one gives a fcuk about men’s tennis any longer it appears.

I watched the first set and a half of the men’s final and then went to bed.

It just lacked something compared to the women’s final (probably a lack of rallys)

And I think that’s been true for a while, did the past few years I end up watching women’s Wimbledon matches way more than men’s

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Interesting.

Erm, I think this subthread started with a joke – "A* in maths at A Level, fluent Chinese, Kent Lawn Tennis Player of the Year 2021" – rather than a serious proposition.
    I skipped over the one real achievement, for humorous effect
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Mr. Doethur, to be fair, Verstappen also took out himself, whereas at Silverstone Hamilton got the race win.

It’s impossible to overtake at Sochi though so it’s a question of a few points or zero
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Kitchen staff have done really, really badly for Covid deaths in the USA I am lead to understand.
  • Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

It is a pity my stint as editor of PB has come to an end.

If I was still editing PB I would be publishing a piece entitled.

'Is Covid-19 pandemic the only way to keep the United Kingdom together?'

A second referendum on Scottish independence will not be held until all day-to-day Covid restrictions have been lifted, Nicola Sturgeon has said.

The first minister has repeatedly pledged to hold another poll by the end of 2023, but only if the public health crisis is over.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/12/no-independence-referendum-until-covid-restrictions-lifted-sturgeon-says?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

No. That's Sturgeon keeping the UK together.
    Really? I shall try to be more kindly disposed toward her.
    Well, look at it objectively. What restrictions are still currently in place? Most of them were lifted in August.

The restrictions on physical distancing and limits to the size of social gatherings have been removed, and nightclubs are allowed to reopen.

Facemasks in shops and on trains and in secondary schools - hardly seems like a reason why an independence referendum can't happen.

Giving details to businesses to comply with track and trace - ditto.

2m distancing remains but only in healthcare settings - ditto.

You had 50,000 fans at the Old Firm game, 50,000 at TRNSMT. OK, there might need to be some applications for permissions for those and perhaps a vaxport in October (maybes), but again, how's it stopping indyref2?

No, it's just another nebulous reason why they can continue to talk about wanting indyref2 but not actually wanting indyref2.

It's in the first half of the parliament, but it's before the end of 2023, but it's after covid restrictions, but only if the NHS isn't under "pressure". It's not exactly subtle bullshitting now.
    If the SNP were pushing for an immediate referendum, you can be certain that opponents of independence would be using the fact there's still a pandemic on as a attack line. And that attack line would have huge traction.
    Pushing hard on a referendum now would be a huge gift to those who oppose independence.
    There's a notion at large that Sturgeon doesn't want indy, she just wants to dominate a devolved but never quite leaving Scotland. I find this odd and not supported by anything other than a presumed ability to divine her deepest inner thoughts and see that they are totally at odds with everything she has ever said.
    This isn't an isolated case. I've heard people earnestly say that Trump didn't really want to win, that Johnson is bound to quit soon because he doesn't enjoy it, that Harry is secretly unhappy and will be divorced within a few years.
    If you keep throwing these darts blindfold you're bound to hit the mark sometimes, but mostly no. Just because you've seen someone on the box doesn't mean you have an insight into some shocking truth about their private thoughts.
    Standard fare on PB. Mystic Meg Central.
  • IanB2 said:

Morning all! Shopping tip - buy big bags of pasta this week before the news of the impending pasta availability crunch becomes well known. TBH may as well buy anything you like that has long dates on it as the price inflation tsunami is about to crash into supermarkets.

Bit early for that. But there is definitely trouble ahead:
    Global commodity prices sky high
    Global shipping prices even higher
    Poor harvests (wheat in Canada creating the pasta fubar)
    Lack of staff in the food industry
    Lack of drivers

So when the CEO of the Food and Drink Federation warns that the growing chaos is going to settle into being normal without government intervention, and the government dismisses him by saying that we have a resilient supply chain so no threat to Christmas, remember this.

The FDF is the supply chain. I know that we've all had enough of experts, but there is nothing in it for the industry to create a fake crisis that imperils the Christmas payday large parts of it relies on.
  • Foxy said:

Airstrip One syndrome.

Tell you what, the day you manage to flick through 200 television channels and not hear a single English person speaking, but 175 Scots and a few Yanks and Antipodeans, *then* you would be 100% justified in writing such a sentence.

I'm unsurprised you don't hear many Scottish voices from your home. Sweden, isn't it?

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

It is a pity my stint as editor of PB has come to an end.

If I was still editing PB I would be publishing a piece entitled.

A second referendum on Scottish independence will not be held until all day-to-day Covid restrictions have been lifted, Nicola Sturgeon has said.

The first minister has repeatedly pledged to hold another poll by the end of 2023, but only if the public health crisis is over.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/12/no-independence-referendum-until-covid-restrictions-lifted-sturgeon-says?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

No. That's Sturgeon keeping the UK together.
    Really? I shall try to be more kindly disposed toward her.
    Well, look at it objectively. What restrictions are still currently in place? Most of them were lifted in August.

The restrictions on physical distancing and limits to the size of social gatherings have been removed, and nightclubs are allowed to reopen.

Facemasks in shops and on trains and in secondary schools - hardly seems like a reason why an independence referendum can't happen.

Giving details to businesses to comply with track and trace - ditto.

2m distancing remains but only in healthcare settings - ditto.

You had 50,000 fans at the Old Firm game, 50,000 at TRNSMT. OK, there might need to be some applications for permissions for those and perhaps a vaxport in October (maybes), but again, how's it stopping indyref2?

No, it's just another nebulous reason why they can continue to talk about wanting indyref2 but not actually wanting indyref2.

It's in the first half of the parliament, but it's before the end of 2023, but it's after covid restrictions, but only if the NHS isn't under "pressure". It's not exactly subtle bullshitting now.
    If the SNP were pushing for an immediate referendum, you can be certain that opponents of independence would be using the fact there's still a pandemic on as a attack line. And that attack line would have huge traction.
    Pushing hard on a referendum now would be a huge gift to those who oppose independence.
    There's a notion at large that Sturgeon doesn't want indy, she just wants to dominate a devolved but never quite leaving Scotland. I find this odd and not supported by anything other than a presumed ability to divine her deepest inner thoughts and see that they are totally at odds with everything she has ever said.
    This isn't an isolated case. I've heard people earnestly say that Trump didn't really want to win, that Johnson is bound to quit soon because he doesn't enjoy it, that Harry is secretly unhappy and will be divorced within a few years.
    If you keep throwing these darts blindfold you're bound to hit the mark sometimes, but mostly no. Just because you've seen someone on the box doesn't mean you have an insight into some shocking truth about their private thoughts.
    Standard fare on PB. Mystic Meg Central.
    TBF though, she was mystic in the same sense that Little John was short.

IanB2 said:

Bit early for that. But there is definitely trouble ahead:
    Global commodity prices sky high
    Global shipping prices even higher
    Poor harvests (wheat in Canada creating the pasta fubar)
    Lack of staff in the food industry
    Lack of drivers

So when the CEO of the Food and Drink Federation warns that the growing chaos is going to settle into being normal without government intervention, and the government dismisses him by saying that we have a resilient supply chain so no threat to Christmas, remember this.

The FDF is the supply chain. I know that we've all had enough of experts, but there is nothing in it for the industry to create a fake crisis that imperils the Christmas payday large parts of it relies on.
    If you are right, it is hard not to see it feeding into politics, and hence betting, for next year?
  • Mr. B2, he needs one at some point, but can choose where.

Mr. eek, it's difficulty. But it was at Monza too, and Bottas made great progress. The question is where it's most harmful (Singapore, were we going there, would be an obviously daft place to take a new engine). I'm unsure how well undercuts work at Sochi. If it doesn't matter much then a contra-strategy may be in play.

Have to say that I largely agree with you that the difficulty overtaking may make it less than ideal. But he has a 3 place grid penalty anyway.

Turkey's meant to be the next race but may be red-listed off then there's the USA (same risk). Both circuits, I think, are rather better for passing. Mexico is poor for it, then there's Brazil (better than Mexico).
    edited September 2021

Foxy said:

Airstrip One syndrome.

I'm unsurprised you don't hear many Scottish voices from your home. Sweden, isn't it?
    Scotland wasn’t dour enough? ;)
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    eek said:

No one gives a fcuk about men’s tennis any longer it appears.

I watched the first set and a half of the men’s final and then went to bed.

It just lacked something compared to the women’s final (probably a lack of rallys)

And I think that’s been true for a while, did the past few years I end up watching women’s Wimbledon matches way more than men’s
    That's right. The winning ace was a delightful novelty, whereas in the men's game how often do you see a single game without a couple at least?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
  • Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Kitchen staff have done really, really badly for Covid deaths in the USA I am lead to understand.
    They were hit really, really badly in the UK last year as far as I recall, despite the fact that kitchens were closed in most of the country. From memory they were top 10 for deaths per capita amongst those who were working.
  • Raducanu is a Remainer icon.
    I fully expect her to lead the campaign to Rejoin in a decade’s time.

Bromley? Remain
    Under 55? Remain
    Migrant? Remain
    Parents work in Finance? Remain

She also has an A* in Economics, so she knows just how damaging Brexit to the economy.
  • Anyone know the background?

Valneva SA said the U.K. government is canceling a supply contract for Covid-19 vaccines, a blow to the French drugmaker’s attempt to develop an alternative to existing shots.

The company said Monday it contests allegations by the U.K. government that it’s in breach of its obligations under the agreement.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-13/u-k-scraps-deal-to-purchase-vaccines-from-france-s-valneva
This discussion has been closed.