Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

My last bet was stupid – Win or lose – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2021
    If we think 100m for women went badly for Team GB, not a single American in the final, thats embarrassing.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited July 2021

kle4 said:

O/t but.
    According to a Sky newsflash on my phone a 'US electric vehicle maker, backed by Amazon and Ford, is in talks about building a giant factory in UK.'

I don't think we have a shortage of giants, do we?
    Angel of the North, the bloke with his todger on the side of a hill, not thinking of many more.
    The Cerne Abbas Giant deserves more attention. It may not be an ancient monument, but it may even be better as a centuries old practical joke.
    I fell into Wikipedia and found that there's a giant George III cut into the side of a hill somewhere. Lose America, sabotage the Union with Ireland, and gain a massive chalk monument. Might be a more appealing precedent for Johnson than Lord North.

Perhaps if the SNP youth wing offer to trade the creation of a massive monument of Johnson with his Johnson, in return for IndyRef 2, and it might happen?
    We beat Napoleon under George IIIrd and started to discover and colonise Australia and New Zealand and expanded our presence in India.

The Union with Ireland also came about in George III's reign in 1801. So the British Empire really grew dramatically under him.

Though as Hamilton showed he is equally still remembered for the loss of the American colonies

• TresTres Posts: 2,161
    isam said:

Thinking about FOM, and my view that it failed when countries that had nothing to entice British people to live there joined, couldn’t the EU have pumped money into projects that meant it was attractive to live in Romania or Bulgaria? I was thinking building/part funding luxury holiday resorts in the warm parts of their coasts and hoping British tourist would holiday there/the youngsters could work the season for instance

For all my posts criticising it, FOM is a nice idea that could work if participating countries were able to offer something other than cheap Labour for rich corporations

2008 killed the appetite for Brit/Irish investment in central/east Europe property. Before that things were moving quite rapidly in that direction.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Superb from Sir Ed Davey this morning. Superb.

The new battle lines in politics are shifting away from class vs class and towards liberty vs control.

After more than a century in the political wilderness, could the liberals have found an issue on which to become really relevant and appealing to a big chunk of the electorate again?

In the quiet of the Downing Street staircase, does the likeness of William Ewart Gladstone have a gleam in its eye?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    dixiedean said:

Are there any reasons why Latin is taught in only 2.7% of State schools at the moment?

Cause and effect.

Not enough people study Latin which means there's not enough Latin teachers for state schools as the private sector takes them as they can offer better wages.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Gavin Williamson thinks teaching Latin will improve maths and modern foreign language learning (and by coincidence, Boris is a keen classicist so that would be a reason to keep Williamson on).

Latin will be taught in state schools to end its ‘elitist’ status
    Officials believe subject will help pupils learn modern foreign languages and could bring improvements in English and maths

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/30/latin-will-taught-state-schools-end-elitist-status/ (£££)

Excellent, restoring a subject of intellectual rigour and which is the foundation for most European languages
    Actually teaching modern foreign languages would be of more benefit. Typical Tory party obsessed with looking backwards rather than forwards.
    That depends: teaching enough of a modern language to be any good takes a lot of time and effort. How many people with a GCSE or O-level language qualification can actually hold a conversation with someone in that language? A small bit of Latin or even Greek can be useful in helping to understand quite a lot of technical vocabulary.
    I can say things in French. But if I ask a question and receive a reply, usually I have no idea what the other person has said.

We should just teach kids how to order a coffee, order a beer and say 'I love you' in a dozen languages and settle for that.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    isam said:

Thinking about FOM, and my view that it failed when countries that had nothing to entice British people to live there joined, couldn’t the EU have pumped money into projects that meant it was attractive to live in Romania or Bulgaria? I was thinking building/part funding luxury holiday resorts in the warm parts of their coasts and hoping British tourist would holiday there/the youngsters could work the season for instance

For all my posts criticising it, FOM is a nice idea that could work if participating countries were able to offer something other than cheap Labour for rich corporations

Well the Regional Development Assistance budget was intended to do that, to level up the poorer parts of the Union, but too much of the EU budget is spent on the subsidies to farmers and not enough on other more useful things.

But, yes, I'd always said that a partial solution to the immigration problem would be to encourage emigration. There must be lots of opportunities out in the world for our youngsters, or places more appealing to retire to than Eastbourne.

It's the net migration that causes problems with housing and public services.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

I'd also make English lessons teach the Oxford comma.

I know I hide it well, but I love the Oxford comma.

Apart from the A40/M40 towards Cambridge the Oxford Comma is the only decent thing to come out of Oxford.

If you think either the A40 or the M40 go anywhere near Cambridge (or even in its direction) then your geographic knowledge is… what I would expect from someone who had to settle for Cambridge.
    Reread what I wrote, it is accurate.

The A40 comes out of Oxford if you want to come out of Oxford and go towards Cambridge.

The same way I have to take the M67 out of Manchester when I drive to Sheffield even if most of my journey is on the A57, A616, and A628.
    If you are heading north then you use the A34.
    Google route planner goes my way, via the A40.

I am right as always.

Interesting: on Google maps the A34 route is both the fastest and the shortest. Your route takes ten minutes more than it does on your version.

I wonder why different versions of Google produce different results?
    Apple gives 2 & 1/2 hours via the A421.
    *Opens PB*

*Sees detailed discussion of how different online maps route Oxford to Cambridge*

*Closes PB*
    Keep your energy and focus for tomorrow.

Tomorrow afternoon’s thread is about Scottish independence.
    Irrelevant as long as we have a Tory government as it will refuse indyref2 and Sturgeon has ruled out UDI
    Not according to ScreamingEagles. Apparently Dominic Cummings is going to fell PM Johnson and install PM Gove as his replacement; and then Gove is going to concede IndyRef2.

You read it here first.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748

kle4 said:

O/t but.
    According to a Sky newsflash on my phone a 'US electric vehicle maker, backed by Amazon and Ford, is in talks about building a giant factory in UK.'

Angel of the North, the bloke with his todger on the side of a hill, not thinking of many more.
    The Cerne Abbas Giant deserves more attention. It may not be an ancient monument, but it may even be better as a centuries old practical joke.
    I fell into Wikipedia and found that there's a giant George III cut into the side of a hill somewhere. Lose America, sabotage the Union with Ireland, and gain a massive chalk monument. Might be a more appealing precedent for Johnson than Lord North.

Perhaps if the SNP youth wing offer to trade the creation of a massive monument of Johnson with his Johnson, in return for IndyRef 2, and it might happen?
    I think they would see him in rather different terms. Perhaps they'd agree to his semi(arf)-mythical tunnel to NI being named after him?

edited July 2021

Double Pfizered as of this morning. How long does it take for the superpowers to kick in?

Irish government guidance is nine days, but standard period given is two weeks.

The new battle lines in politics are shifting away from class vs class and towards liberty vs control.

After more than a century in the political wilderness, could the liberals have found an issue on which to become really relevant and appealing to a big chunk of the electorate again?

In the quiet of the Downing Street staircase, does the likeness of William Ewart Gladstone have a gleam in its eye?

Did a fallen woman in need of a good saving walk past?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

Be nice to think so. I'm v pleased the Liberals are leading on this. At last: an issue.

Not sure about "big chunk of electorate" though. I would like to think so as I think vaxports are an abomination in a free country, but looking at polling seems I am in a small minority.

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Apart from the A40/M40 towards Cambridge the Oxford Comma is the only decent thing to come out of Oxford.

If you think either the A40 or the M40 go anywhere near Cambridge (or even in its direction) then your geographic knowledge is… what I would expect from someone who had to settle for Cambridge.

The A40 comes out of Oxford if you want to come out of Oxford and go towards Cambridge.

The same way I have to take the M67 out of Manchester when I drive to Sheffield even if most of my journey is on the A57, A616, and A628.

I am right as always.

Interesting: on Google maps the A34 route is both the fastest and the shortest. Your route takes ten minutes more than it does on your version.

*Opens PB*

*Sees detailed discussion of how different online maps route Oxford to Cambridge*

*Closes PB*

Irrelevant as long as we have a Tory government as it will refuse indyref2 and Sturgeon has ruled out UDI
    Not according to ScreamingEagles. Apparently Dominic Cummings is going to fell PM Johnson and install PM Gove as his replacement; and then Gove is going to concede IndyRef2.

You read it here first.
    Wrong, even Gove has made clear there will be no indyref2 allowed before the next general election and he will be long retired before one is

https://www.scotsman.com/news/uk-news/indyref2-michael-gove-says-boris-johnson-will-not-grant-referendum-on-scottish-independence-before-next-general-election-3283019

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/uk-politics/3326218/michael-gove-ill-be-enjoying-my-retirement-before-indyref2/
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

O/t but.

We beat Napoleon under George IIIrd and started to discover and colonise Australia and New Zealand and expanded our presence in India.

The Union with Ireland also came about in George III's reign in 1801. So the British Empire really grew dramatically under him.

Though as Hamilton showed he is equally still remembered for the loss of the American colonies
    He vetoed Catholic Emancipation and so doomed the Union with Ireland from the off.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,849

I wonder if the ennobled bloater has been similarly critical of Priti’s dropped ‘g’s?

https://twitter.com/grumpy_uncle/status/1421345806804787200?s=21

Interesting tweet. Not the content but that he did it. It's telling the world he's the sort of chap who is extremely irritated by this sort of thing. It's a public statement of who and what he is. He's Lord Digby Jones and very comfortable with this.

HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Gavin Williamson thinks teaching Latin will improve maths and modern foreign language learning (and by coincidence, Boris is a keen classicist so that would be a reason to keep Williamson on).

Latin will be taught in state schools to end its ‘elitist’ status
    Officials believe subject will help pupils learn modern foreign languages and could bring improvements in English and maths

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/30/latin-will-taught-state-schools-end-elitist-status/ (£££)

Excellent, restoring a subject of intellectual rigour and which is the foundation for most European languages
    Actually teaching modern foreign languages would be of more benefit. Typical Tory party obsessed with looking backwards rather than forwards.
    It already is taught, modern foreign languages are compulsory to 14
    It's in the national curriculum, sure.

But academies and free schools don't have to teach the NC, which makes that a bit moot;

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7388/CBP-7388.pdf
    It is part of the EBacc though, alongside English, Maths, Science and History or Geography
    edited July 2021
    Getting really tired with all the excuses the BBC give when a star name doesn't perform as expected.

Just show the sport, not give 27 guesses / excuses why somebody hasn't done well in a race. Its the weather, its having to be tested for covid, its a injury they had 3 years ago, .....
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

I am right as always.

*Opens PB*

*Closes PB*

You read it here first.
    Wrong, even Gove has made clear there will be no indyref2 allowed before the next general election and he will be long retired before one is

https://www.scotsman.com/news/uk-news/indyref2-michael-gove-says-boris-johnson-will-not-grant-referendum-on-scottish-independence-before-next-general-election-3283019

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/uk-politics/3326218/michael-gove-ill-be-enjoying-my-retirement-before-indyref2/
    Gove also ruled out running for Tory leader, then ran for Tory leader the next month, and three years later as well.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/06/michael-gove-rules-out-running-for-tory-leader-and-says-his-frie/

Gove also ruled out vaxports then well you know the rest

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-michael-gove-rules-out-vaccine-passports-for-pub-theatre-and-sport-stadium-visits-12147819
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    F1: seems Hamilton narrowly beat Verstappen in third practice. Qualifying too close to call.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087

If we excluded any sport that involves water from Team GB medal haul it would be a disastrous Olympics.

Triathlon (only partially water-based, so not too much of a cheat) has done very well. Boxing (four guaranteed medals and counting) is having a good games. Taekwondo (three medals from five entrants) delivered. There's been success on bikes. The horsey team has a couple of bronzes already and those events are always unpredictable. The individual competitions in gymnastics are yet to come. Golf might come good.

All that said, especially with the athletics looking poor, much depends on the velodrome. If track cycling undergoes an implosion similar to rowing then the overall performance will probably be towards the bottom end of expectations. If it holds up well things should be better. But in medal table terms this is probably a competition for fifth place with the Australians, and an overall finish in that ballpark would still be very credible.
    edited July 2021

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

O/t but.

He vetoed Catholic Emancipation and so doomed the Union with Ireland from the off.
    It was George IVth who was most adamantly anti Catholic Emancipation but Wellington, in a rare reformist move, managed to push it through.

However remember there was still a lot of anti Catholic sentiment in George III's reign, the Gordon riots in London in 1780 and Presbyterian riots in Scotland in 1779 occurred because of the Relief Act of 1778 which allowed Roman Catholics to inherit property and own land. In North America the First Continental Congress of 1774 presented a petition to the King critical of the Quebec Act of 1774 which had ended some restrictions on Catholics. George was no different to the mood of his time and feared Catholic emancipation would violate his coronation oath.

It also remains the fact the Union with Ireland, or at least southern Ireland, was lost in the reign of George Vth, it was George IIIrd 's PM Pitt who started the Irish Union in the first place

I wonder if the ennobled bloater has been similarly critical of Priti’s dropped ‘g’s?

He has, in that very same tweet thread, moments after the tweet you posted.

She’s hot on the heels of Beth Rigby at Sky the Home Secretary for God’s sake! Can’t someone give these people elocution lessons? I fear that it may be aped by youngsters along the lines of the use of the moronic interrogative originally caused by “Neighbours”; on behalf of the English Language…..Help!

https://twitter.com/Digbylj/status/1421164858280747015
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

O/t but.

Ireland had been an English colony since 1177, so longer than Wales. To say it joined the Union in 1801 is a little “creative”.
    F1: bit short on time so a concise look at qualifying:
    https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2021/07/hungary-pre-qualifying.html

No tip, although the practice bet I mentioned came off.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926

F1: seems Hamilton narrowly beat Verstappen in third practice. Qualifying too close to call.

I think I backed Hamilton for pole. I certainly considered it but the past couple of days have been spent in an Olympics sleep-deprived state.
    edited July 2021
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

O/t but.

It was George IVth who was most adamantly anti Catholic Emancipation but Wellington, in a rare reformist move, managed to push it through.

However remember there was still a lot of anti Catholic sentiment in George III's reign, the Gordon riots in London in 1780 and Presbyterian riots in Scotland in 1779 occurred because of the Relief Act of 1778 which allowed Roman Catholics to inherit property and own land. George was no different to the mood of his time and feared Catholic emancipation would violate his coronation oath.

It also remains the fact the Union with Ireland, or at least southern Ireland, was lost in the reign of George Vth, it was George IIIrd 's PM Pitt who started the Irish Union in the first place

George IVth? George Vth?

You cannot abuse Roman numerals and the English language like that.
    Mr. JohnL, credible outcome. I did consider backing him for the title at 2.5, but decided against it.

Anyway, I'm off.
    edited July 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

I am right as always.

*Opens PB*

*Closes PB*

You read it here first.

Gove also ruled out running for Tory leader, then ran for Tory leader the next month, and three years later as well.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/06/michael-gove-rules-out-running-for-tory-leader-and-says-his-frie/

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-michael-gove-rules-out-vaccine-passports-for-pub-theatre-and-sport-stadium-visits-12147819
    Gove also failed to become Tory leader coming 3rd and has near zero chance of becoming Tory leader now.

There will never be an indyref2 allowed while we have a Tory government
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    Interesting snippet on the BBC; France has more Olympic medals in Rugby than any other country.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,136

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

O/t but.

However remember there was still a lot of anti Catholic sentiment in George III's reign, the Gordon riots in London in 1780 and Presbyterian riots in Scotland in 1779 occurred because of the Relief Act of 1778 which allowed Roman Catholics to inherit property and own land. George was no different to the mood of his time and feared Catholic emancipation would violate his coronation oath.

George IVth? George Vth?

I'm sorry you cannot abuse Roman numerals and the English language like that.
    Ayre, right, my favourite bar (before it closed, and not due to covid) was on George IVth Bridge in Edinburgh, of course not.

And the union with Ireland was arguably lost in the reigns of Victoria Ith and Edward VIIth. George Vth just tidied up.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,459
    kinabalu said:

Interesting tweet. Not the content but that he did it. It's telling the world he's the sort of chap who is extremely irritated by this sort of thing. It's a public statement of who and what he is. He's Lord Digby Jones and very comfortable with this.
    I came across Digby Jones in a professional capacity a few years back. Suffice to say he was the most obnoxious, repulsive person I ever came across through work, and there was some stiff competition.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

I am right as always.

*Opens PB*

*Closes PB*

You read it here first.

Gove also failed to become Tory leader coming 3rd and has near zero chance of becoming Tory leader now.

Irrelevant to the argument.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

I am right as always.

*Opens PB*

*Closes PB*

You read it here first.

Don’t tell me, tell ScreamingEagles. He has friends in high places. Chortle.

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

O/t but.

Ireland had been an English colony since 1177, so longer than Wales. To say it joined the Union in 1801 is a little “creative”.
    Now, now, you'll only upset the PBUnionists. It's Saturday lunchtime after a hard morning finishing the shed and there is soup and Black Isle beer in prospect.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

I am right as always.

*Opens PB*

*Closes PB*

You read it here first.

If you are relying on the promises of Messrs Johnson and Gove etc,..........

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

I am right as always.

*Opens PB*

*Closes PB*

You read it here first.

First? Second? Third? Or all?
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

I am right as always.

*Opens PB*

*Closes PB*

You read it here first.

Yes FUDHY, we know what *you* think. But last I heard there were in fact other strands of thought within your political party.

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

O/t but.

It was Anglo-Norman Welsh Marcher Lords who were the first to go across to Ireland, so if they conquered Ireland for the English Crown then you can't argue they hadn't already done so for Wales.
    edited July 2021

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

O/t but.

It had some Norman lords in parts since 1177, the English monarch did not formally become the monarch of Ireland until the reign of Henry VIII and largescale Protestant settlement in the North of Ireland did not really begin until the reign of James 1st.

Plus most of those Protestant settlers were Scottish Presbyterians not English, it was when a Scottish King took the throne of England that the colonisation of Ireland really began
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

I am right as always.

*Opens PB*

*Closes PB*

You read it here first.

First? Second? Third? Or all?
    Every time FUDHY posts I get the impression half the Con posters on here do a facepalm.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,451
    pigeon said:

If we excluded any sport that involves water from Team GB medal haul it would be a disastrous Olympics.

Triathlon (only partially water-based, so not too much of a cheat) has done very well. Boxing (four guaranteed medals and counting) is having a good games. Taekwondo (three medals from five entrants) delivered. There's been success on bikes. The horsey team has a couple of bronzes already and those events are always unpredictable. The individual competitions in gymnastics are yet to come. Golf might come good.

All that said, especially with the athletics looking poor, much depends on the velodrome. If track cycling undergoes an implosion similar to rowing then the overall performance will probably be towards the bottom end of expectations. If it holds up well things should be better. But in medal table terms this is probably a competition for fifth place with the Australians, and an overall finish in that ballpark would still be very credible.
    538s projections have us finishing fourth, behind the two superpowers, and the hosts with double our population, yet the mood on here is depressed and critical. It is ridiculous frankly. We can't win everything and are punching well above our weight. It is far from beyond possibility that we never do better than 4th again in most posters lifetimes.

Enjoy and focus on the positives!
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

O/t but.

It had some Norman lords in parts since 1177, the English monarch did not formally become the monarch of Ireland until the reign of Henry VIII and largescale Protestant settlement in the North of Ireland did not really begin until the reign of James 1st.

Plus most of those Protestant settlers were Scottish Presbyterians not English, it was when a Scottish King took the throne of England that the colonisation of Ireland really began
    Oh look! A big boy did it and ran away!
    edited July 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

I am right as always.

*Opens PB*

*Closes PB*

You read it here first.

Yes FUDHY, we know what *you* think. But last I heard there were in fact other strands of thought within your political party.
    There aren't, we will just say No and anyone who wants a chance of becoming Tory leader will also have to say No.

The most important task of any Tory PM for the foreseeable future is saying no to indyref2
  • isamisam Posts: 40,729
    kinabalu said:

Don’t most people get annoyed by the way some others speak/pronounce words? Priti Patel gets a lot of stick for the exact same thing, from people who are now sticking up for Alex Scott! Posh people get mocked for their pronounciations by working class types, I don’t see it as a punching down thing
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

Interesting snippet on the BBC; France has more Olympic medals in Rugby than any other country.

Joint top in cricket too.
    edited July 2021
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

Don’t most people get annoyed by the way some others speak/pronounce words? Priti Patel gets a lot of stick for the exact same thing, from people who are now sticking up for Alex Scott! Posh people get mocked for their pronounciations by working class types, I don’t see it as a punching down thing
    My own mother mocks me for dropping my t's in various words with my South London accent. In a loving way. I'm sure.

I haven't yet had my pronunciation corrected by a Glaswegian, but it's surely only a matter of spending more time in Glasgow.
    edited July 2021

She’s hot on the heels of Beth Rigby at Sky the Home Secretary for God’s sake! Can’t someone give these people elocution lessons? I fear that it may be aped by youngsters along the lines of the use of the moronic interrogative originally caused by “Neighbours”; on behalf of the English Language…..Help!

As Isam suggested, Diggers needs some lessons in punctuation and syntax.

kinabalu said:

I came across Digby Jones in a professional capacity a few years back. Suffice to say he was the most obnoxious, repulsive person I ever came across through work, and there was some stiff competition.
    That's good to know. I'd have been a bit flummoxed to hear otherwise. Likewise, a mate of mine has met Prince Andrew. Did he confound expectations? Nope, he very much did not.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    dixiedean said:

With the way cricket keeps getting shortened, maybe it will end up back in the Olympics as The Thirty. A series of knock out thirty ball games.
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

When posh accents are being mocked it is their accent and poshness being mocked.
    When working class accents of politicians are being mocked, it is often mixed with an attack on their intellect and/or education.
    edited July 2021
    One false start and you are out seem very unfair. Seems would be fairer allowed one false start throughout the competition.

dixiedean said:

With the way cricket keeps getting shortened, maybe it will end up back in the Olympics as The Thirty. A series of knock out thirty ball games.
    Don't give the (expletive deleted) ECB ideas. Please.

It's the sort of thing we used to get from my dad on the family whatsapp group until we told him to stop.

dixiedean said:

There is already T10 in the Middle East

isam said:

kinabalu said:

When posh accents are being mocked it is their accent and poshness being mocked.
    When working class accents of politicians are being mocked, it is often mixed with an attack on their intellect and/or education.
    Posh but dim gets mocked as well...Tim nice but dim being a long running character from Harry Enfield.
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

That's good to know. I'd have been a bit flummoxed to hear otherwise. Likewise, a mate of mine has met Prince Andrew. Did he confound expectations? Nope, he very much did not.
    I've met Katie Hopkins in passing twice, and she was actually lovely.
    edited July 2021
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

I am right as always.

*Opens PB*

*Closes PB*

You read it here first.

There aren't, we will just say No and anyone who wants a chance of becoming Tory leader will also have to say No.

The most important task of any Tory PM for the foreseeable future is saying no to indyref2
    You're out of synch with that poll the other day when it was furriners that were the biggest worry of Tory voters. Unless you accept that Scots are already furriners?

PS: *checks 2nd thread back* Yep, voters not party members.

https://twitter.com/AlastairMeeks/status/1420671162766479363?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1420671162766479363|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/07/29/alastair-meeks-says-tory-voters-are-crackers-here-it-is-hard-to-disagree/

dixiedean said:

I am surprised they don't add some form of cricket. Presumably India's almost complete lack of success hits their ability to market the Olympics to that region and cricket would make a big difference. T20 could fit in the schedule easily enough.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

I am right as always.

*Opens PB*

*Closes PB*

You read it here first.

You're out of synch with that poll the other day when it was furriners that were the biggest worry of Tory voters. Unless you accept that Scots are already furriners?
    Tory Britain: you can't come in, and you can't leave.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,612
    Tres said:

isam said:

2008 killed the appetite for Brit/Irish investment in central/east Europe property. Before that things were moving quite rapidly in that direction.
    Also, a number of countries that started to acquire immigration of the retired are putting limits on this, around the world.

New Zealand and Australia are the most conspicuous on this list, but a lot of other places have tried (and are trying) to avoid a large number of rich (relatively), elderly foreigners turning up and buying the place...

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    DAS clearly not fit. Feel very sorry for her.

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

I am right as always.

*Opens PB*

*Closes PB*

You read it here first.

Tory Britain: you can't come in, and you can't leave.
    Now you put it that way: quite so!
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,183
    Just had an email from Hermes - we attempted to deliver, but you were out. The whole family has been in all sodding morning. It was accompanied by a picture demonstrating 'proof' of delivery - four blurred letters on a white background showing nothing. So I've contacted the vendors and got my money back.
    To be honest, as soon as I saw Hermes was the courier I mentally wrote off getting my t-shirts in time for my holiday.
    Vendors: whatever you're saving by using Hermes, it's not enough.
    tlg86 said:

And now pulling out of the 200m. So sad.

kinabalu said:

I’m slightly ashamed to admit that I use Desert Island Discs as a measure of character, though eight fave records and a book isn’t bad evidence. it does throw you curveballs (Tim Martin, excellent musical taste, Judy Murray, anodyne pish).
    Digby’s choices were exactly what I’d expect of a culture free, vacuous bag of wind.

Tres said:

isam said:

Also, a number of countries that started to acquire immigration of the retired are putting limits on this, around the world.

New Zealand and Australia are the most conspicuous on this list, but a lot of other places have tried (and are trying) to avoid a large number of rich (relatively), elderly foreigners turning up and buying the place...

On a train from Wellington to Auckland a few years ago I met several retired people who were spending 6 months in NZ and 6 in UK. TBH I thought about doing that, although Thailand, not NZ, for family reasons, although increasing age and decreasing mobility has put an end to that idea..

As Isam suggested, Diggers needs some lessons in punctuation and syntax.
    I see at least four places where I'd shove in the red pencil, or apply Track Changes, if I were editing that. Belay that: I make it five - that ellipsis is wrong, too.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,161
    Piers Morgan in 5,4,3.....
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

Double Pfizered as of this morning. How long does it take for the superpowers to kick in?

In a couple of days - it all depends on 5G coverage in your area. After a week you’ll have Bill Gates giving you instructions in your ear. After a month saying anything derogatory about Microsoft results in you pissing yourself.

isam said:

kinabalu said:

That's right imo. It depends on the context but the 'punching up vs down' point is often relevant when discussing the mocking or dissing of dominant groups.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,013
    Great news that the Tories are reintroducing Esperanto as a taught language in schools. Important.

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I've met Katie Hopkins in passing twice, and she was actually lovely.
    :smile:

Nice one.
    tlg86 said:

She's trying to be brave but is obviously distraught as she announces she's pulling out of the 200m.

It's a tremendous shame, but if you're crocked at the wrong time, you're crocked at the wrong time.

I do hope that, if the team as a whole bombs at the end of all this, the inquest doesn't involve blaming her. It's not her fault that UK Athletics is incapable of bringing forward enough competitive athletes to avoid the burden of expectation being heaped on one or two people.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,911

The A40/M40 goes to Cambridge? I think you meant the M11!
    Does the M11 come out directly from Oxford?

It didn't when I was a student.
    You wrote: "Apart from the A40/M40 towards Cambridge"

The A40/M40 route goes from London towards Oxford, NOT Cambridge.

Great news that the Tories are reintroducing Esperanto as a taught language in schools. Important.

My school offered Esperanto to the kids that were good at languages but you had to give up a couple of lunch hours IIRC
    Tres said:

You reckon? She’s obviously injured.

The story on Biles has changed a number of times.
    Tres said:

‘What first attracted you to criticising young woman of colour X?’
    pigeon said:

The rowing situation is entirely down to an internal (to rowing) coup of one style of coaching to another.

The Times article is, surprisingly for a mainstream publication, fairly close to the facts.

The issue is the success at rowing is quite brutal. Steve Redgrave pioneered the training technique of a fast session on the ergo, so fast that you collapse and throw up. Then you get back on the machine and row a second set. Without cleaning up*....

Then there is seat racing - where you swap out members of the crew to find the fastest combination. So someone can find themselves out of the crew on virtually no notice.

What people find upsetting about the pure numbers brutalism, is that it doesn't allow for "but he/she is a mate and needs a chance". Politics, really.

In the run up to the last Olympics where he competed, several people wanted Steve Redgrave seat in the boat. Too old, ill etc... They were actually upset, when Redgrave asked for and got a set of seat races. He asked to race for his own seat. And won.

*What the cleaners of the gym made of this, I've never found out.
    edited July 2021
    Tres said:

He has been twattering this morning already firing shots...

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Posh but dim gets mocked as well...Tim nice but dim being a long running character from Harry Enfield.
    There are a lot of over promoted Tim nice but dims in middle management, not sure about in front line politics though. I think Tim nice but dims are actually very clever at maximising their career if helped too much by the system.
    edited July 2021

isam said:

kinabalu said:

There are a lot of over promoted Tim nice but dims in middle management, not sure about in front line politics though. I think Tim nice but dims are actually very clever at maximising their career if helped too much by the system.
    Jacob Ress Mogg.....and he gets loads of stick.
    DougSeal said:

In a couple of days - it all depends on 5G coverage in your area. After a week you’ll have Bill Gates giving you instructions in your ear. After a month saying anything derogatory about Microsoft results in you pissing yourself.
    The main sign is when you have an overwhelming desire to buy a Zune player. When you are buying them once an hour on eBay, you're good.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/8/16112330/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-zune-deleted-scene

isam said:

kinabalu said:

As in 'how the whatsit did he get that job.....?'

isam said:

kinabalu said:

He is certainly both posh and a twat, but not sure anyone thinks he is dim?
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

I am right as always.

*Opens PB*

*Closes PB*

You read it here first.

PS: *checks 2nd thread back* Yep, voters not party members.

https://twitter.com/AlastairMeeks/status/1420671162766479363?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1420671162766479363|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/07/29/alastair-meeks-says-tory-voters-are-crackers-here-it-is-hard-to-disagree/
    The government has also ended free movement and replaced it with a points system.

However even only 42% of Scots want an indyref2 during the term of this Scottish Parliament

https://inews.co.uk/news/scotland/scottish-election-voters-turning-away-from-indyref2-in-next-parliament-poll-shows-984728
    edited July 2021
    BBC at it again with their coverage....part way through the blue ribbon event 100m heats and they aren't covering them live on BBC One. And red button is some non-entity football coverage.

This is nothing to do with the Discovery deal....2 channels and neither showing the live event that matters.
    edited July 2021
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

I am right as always.

*Opens PB*

*Closes PB*

You read it here first.

That poll presents a thorny problem. OTOH, whilst a concern about immigration is in no way indicative of racism, having it as your NUMBER ONE issue (esp now Brexit is done) quite possibly is. BOTOH, one doesn't want to think that loads of Tory voters are racist. What to do?
    edited July 2021

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Ge definitely get abuse as a thick out of touch posho. If thats true or not, is a different matter.
    I am vaguely curious as to why HYUFD gets such a boner about Scottish independence? It can't be because he is a Unionist because he backs his government destroying the UK customs area and separating NI off.

Does he have a secret Scotland fetish? A room in his house covered in photos of Mel Gibson in Braveheart and his various sets of bagpipes?

Read the rest of the sentence you incel virgin.

isam said:

kinabalu said:

JRM has a history degree from Trinity College Oxford and a net worth of £150 million, he is certainly not dim
  • AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

I am vaguely curious as to why HYUFD gets such a boner about Scottish independence? It can't be because he is a Unionist because he backs his government destroying the UK customs area and separating NI off.

Does he have a secret Scotland fetish? A room in his house covered in photos of Mel Gibson in Braveheart and his various sets of bagpipes?

Northern Ireland is still part of the UK customs area.

isam said:

kinabalu said:

He just puts on that twattish accent - his sister talks more normally :)

Tres said:

He has been twattering this morning already firing shots...
    All looks fine to me. His point about Fergie is a good one. Occasionally you’d get a glimpse of what he was really like.

I remember one night at San Siro he absolutely bollocked Jonny Evans for something and I thought “yeah, that’s why they’re so successful.”
    edited July 2021

I voted Remain but I respect the Brexit vote.

Had we gone to No Deal, which I opposed, there would be a clear majority in Scotland for independence now and violence from Nationalists in Ireland had a hard border been imposed in Ireland.

The Boris UK-EU trade deal may not be perfect but avoided that and it was the best way to ensure the Tories won the 2019 general election and saw off Farage and Corbyn (which GB staying in the customs union and much of the SM would not have done) and preserved the Union
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,673
    pigeon said:

Most of the winners will have had to scrimp and scrape for funds or paid it themselves. All the effete overpaid hooray Henry's that got splurged with funding are doing square root of F all and then whine and whinge about all the reasons why it was down to being bullied , pronouns wokism , etc.
    edited July 2021
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

JRM has a history degree from Trinity College Oxford and a net worth of £150 million, he is certainly not dim
    I have a history degree from Trinity College Oxford and so am well placed to tell you that it’s no marker of intelligence. I’m as thick as mince, As for the £150m…
    Aslan said:

Northern Ireland is still part of the UK customs area.
    FFS no it isn't. What UK customs area? There are now separate GB and NI customs areas https://www.gov.uk/eori

pigeon said:

538s projections have us finishing fourth, behind the two superpowers, and the hosts with double our population, yet the mood on here is depressed and critical. It is ridiculous frankly. We can't win everything and are punching well above our weight. It is far from beyond possibility that we never do better than 4th again in most posters lifetimes.

Enjoy and focus on the positives!
    I think that's very reasonable. Some events will hit purple patches, others will go through droughts, but at the end of the day Britain is less than 1% of the world and certainly can't be good at everything at once.

The performance in London was the consequence of having a home Games, and that in Rio a consequence of London. A Beijing-level performance would constitute an overall success going forward, although negative noises are bound to be made about important disciplines where the results aren't regarded as being up to scratch - which is only fair. The funding support available for elite sport is finite and an element of that has to be performance-related.
    edited July 2021

Read the rest of the sentence you incel virgin.

Apart from the A40/M40 towards Cambridge the Oxford Comma is the only decent thing to come out of Oxford
    The A40/M40 does not go TOWARDS Cambridge, you Northern twit! It goes towards LONDON!
This discussion has been closed.