Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could Batley change Starmer’s fortunes? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,414
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

England aren't beating either of these teams.

With a bit of luck they won't have to play either.
    Because England will go out weakly to the Ukraine on penalties? And we can then all talk about how we could have won it if not for stinking penalities again?
    Fairly confident that England will beat Ukraine, but I think people are underestimating Denmark, their likely semi-final opponents.
    I think Denmark can win the whole thing.
    Same, I reckon a wave of emotion might win it for them.

They racked up the momentum in 1992.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,979
    tlg86 said:

Not a good day for the Brits at Wimbledon.

No; Murray looks to be playing his last tournament. Sadly, but it happens.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,962

tlg86 said:

Is there a suggestion he may retire?
    Don't follow tennis but hadn't heard that.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,935
    After 2 years as British prime minister, in which he's won a succession of stunning election victories against the opposition Labour Party, Boris Johnson’s unstoppable march suddenly stopped https://trib.al/7RIX88O
  • Options
    It’s no fun watching him. As I am at the moment.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited July 2021

Maybe he plays because he wants to play, not because you have to have fun watching him? Whoever had fun watching Andy Murray matches? Most of them were scripted to NOT have fun for 90% of them!

And he's won as many matches in this tournament as he's won all year! Hardly surprising he's knackered...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204

I'm not sure I want to know who else Michael Gove or Sarah Vine have been shagging.

Although I would quite like to know what these people are smoking and where I can get some.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,370

Sir Keir Starmer should give grateful thanks to Matt Hancock's gonads.

Said gonads may well have save Sir Keir's career.

Even party chairman Amanda Milling was forced to admit on Friday that the footage of Mr Hancock breaching Covid rules by kissing a married aide “was something that came up on the doorstep” in Batley, suggesting that Tory voters could have defected to Labour over the incident.

Labour sources in Kim Leadbeater’s campaign said the party had seen “surprising” levels of support in the constituency’s traditionally Conservative areas, such as in the villages of the Spen Valley, while campaigning in the week after the affair was revealed.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/07/02/flailing-pm-has-lost-touch-british-public/ (£££)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,601
    Leicesters Praet on for Belgium. A good technical midfielder, but not a game changer.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I'm not sure I want to know who else Michael Gove or Sarah Vine have been shagging.

Although I would quite like to know what these people are smoking and where I can get some.
    Surely you should be avoiding what they are smoking if it ends up with you in bed with Mr or Mrs Gove or both?
    I certainly would.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

Surely you should be avoiding what they are smoking if it ends up with you in bed with Mr or Mrs Gove or both?
    I certainly would.
    Well, there is that I suppose, but if it’s strong enough to blot out reality to that extent I could do with it after the last three years.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The smoking is post coitus.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Sartorialy, the Italian coaches in their blazers are tournament winners.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I’m fairly sure they must be smoking something fairly strong beforehand.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Wonder who.

Such is the initial policy fall-out of the Hancock H-bomb. As for the politics: there is a clear and present danger, causing deep anxiety in Number 10, that this story will trigger an old-fashioned media feeding frenzy, as the vultures circle over the flawed private lives and fragile marriages of other senior government figures. At least one such relationship is under intense scrutiny and causing Johnson’s team serious concern. “The story could break at any moment,” concedes one Downing Street source.

https://www.tortoisemedia.com/2021/06/28/yes-i-was-hugged-by-matt-hancock/
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,598
    "Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    ·
    4h
    Germany, YouGov poll:

CDU/CSU-EPP: 30% (+4)
    GRÜNE-G/EFA: 19% (-3)
    SPD-S&D: 15%
    AfD-ID: 11%
    FDP-RE: 11% (-1)
    LINKE-LEFT: 7%

+/- vs. 21-24 May 2021

Fieldwork: 25-28 June 2021
    Sample size: 2,000 total respondents, 1,648 declared"

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1410993698628947973
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Andy_JS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    ·
    4h
    Germany, YouGov poll:

+/- vs. 21-24 May 2021

Rapidly heading towards the SPD being put in a tight spot. Again.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,135
    edited July 2021
    Actually, England could beat either of these teams. We have a tenacious defence, some superb if underused attackers, an on-form top class goalie, and from the semis on, we’re at home

This is easily the most winnable tournament for England since 1996 (which we should have won)
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971
    edited July 2021
    Doku is some player. Not seen him before.

In the old cliche, ‘he has justified his selection’.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    ·
    4h
    Germany, YouGov poll:

+/- vs. 21-24 May 2021

Traditional swing back happening very early.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    edited July 2021

He played under the name Tyranus previously.

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Belgium look clueless.
  • Options

Plays for Rennes. 2 goals in 37 appearances.
  • Options
    Someone is gunning for Gove.

Michael Gove and Sarah Vine split raises Covid distancing questions

Cabinet minister refuses to say whether he broke rules as he announces 20-year marriage will end in divorce

Michael Gove on Friday night became the second senior Cabinet minister in a week to split with his wife as Downing Street refused to say whether any social distancing rules had been broken.

The Cabinet Office minister is one of four people who have been making unprecedented decisions about people's private lives during the pandemic, sparking questions about their own domestic arrangements.

On Friday afternoon, after months of intense speculation and rumour, Mr Gove and his wife Sarah Vine, a prominent journalist, said in a statement that they had "agreed to separate" and were finalising their divorce after almost 20 years of marriage.

The announcement came within hours of the polls closing in the Batley and Spen by-election – a seat the Conservatives had been expected to win but lost, with blame falling on the Government's handling of revelations about Matt Hancock's affair with aide Gina Coladangelo.

Ms Vine wrote a column in a newspaper on Sunday about the scandal, in which she spoke of the difficulties of sustaining a political marriage.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/07/02/michael-gove-wife-sarah-vine-have-agreed-separate/

Is on the front page of tomorrow's Telegraph

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1411064015292448771
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,925
    Foxy said:

‘ Ha. Every time he's looking at his tactics book, I can't help but think he's actually looking through a book of fabric swatches’

https://twitter.com/waatpies/status/1411062042618892295?s=21

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971
    Foxy said:

Plays for Rennes. 2 goals in 37 appearances.
    That doesn’t sound very impressive, but he’s definitely been Belgium’s greatest threat.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Maybe he plays because he wants to play, not because you have to have fun watching him? Whoever had fun watching Andy Murray matches? Most of them were scripted to NOT have fun for 90% of them!

And he's won as many matches in this tournament as he's won all year! Hardly surprising he's knackered...
    And it shows.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    This is why i hate Italian football...all the play acting.
  • Options

Cabinet minister refuses to say whether he broke rules as he announces 20-year marriage will end in divorce

Michael Gove on Friday night became the second senior Cabinet minister in a week to split with his wife as Downing Street refused to say whether any social distancing rules had been broken.

The Cabinet Office minister is one of four people who have been making unprecedented decisions about people's private lives during the pandemic, sparking questions about their own domestic arrangements.

On Friday afternoon, after months of intense speculation and rumour, Mr Gove and his wife Sarah Vine, a prominent journalist, said in a statement that they had "agreed to separate" and were finalising their divorce after almost 20 years of marriage.

The announcement came within hours of the polls closing in the Batley and Spen by-election – a seat the Conservatives had been expected to win but lost, with blame falling on the Government's handling of revelations about Matt Hancock's affair with aide Gina Coladangelo.

Ms Vine wrote a column in a newspaper on Sunday about the scandal, in which she spoke of the difficulties of sustaining a political marriage.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/07/02/michael-gove-wife-sarah-vine-have-agreed-separate/

Would be amusing if it was Cummings.

Like a wasp landing on a stinging nettle. Somebody’s going to end up stung and you’re not especially bothered as to which one.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,277

ydoethur said:

Vanessa Kensington: Do you smoke after sex?
    Austin Powers: I don't know, baby, I never looked!
  • Options
    isam said:

Foxy said:

‘ Ha. Every time he's looking at his tactics book, I can't help but think he's actually looking through a book of fabric swatches’

https://twitter.com/waatpies/status/1411062042618892295?s=21

Not sure about the joke glasses-nose-moustache combo
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,277
    Italy 2-1 Belgium it is

• Options
    We can beat this Italy
  • Options
    Italy now co-favourites with Italy. Prices and implied probabilities:-

1= England 3.25 30.8%
    1= Italy 3.25 30.8%
    3 Spain 3.65 27.4%
    4 Denmark 14 7.1%
    5 Czechia 34 2.9%
    6 Ukraine 55 1.8%
  • Options
    The world's number one ranked side has been knocked out.

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977
    dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

Doubt it Andy Murray has an automatic ticket to the Olympics and I can't imagine he won't be taking it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

We can beat this Italy

I think that Italy are a very strong side. Going to be very tough to beat. Quality across the field and excellent game management.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    edited July 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Well, this will go a long way towards soothing Scottish, Welsh, and Northern Irish people, convince them that we really are a union of partners and Downing St has the interests of the whole UK at heart. *arches left eyebrow* https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1411000230070341636

Oh don't be so sensitive. Do people really get upset by such things or just performatively upset? (assuming it is even real)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Andy_JS said:

We’re the top ranked team left in…
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,935
    edited July 2021
    kle4 said:

Do people really get upset by such things or just performatively upset? (assuming it is even real)

Ask the DUP. And it's sadly very real
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

We can beat this Italy

I think that Italy are a very strong side. Going to be very tough to beat. Quality across the field and excellent game management.
    Yes, of course, but in past tournaments you might have despaired that England had little chance

We have every chance. Their players are, 1 to 1, no better than ours. We will be at home (if we get there!)
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

Fuck, we didn't win B&S. Got any Brexit red meat?

** EXCLUSIVE in tomorrow’s Daily Telegraph **

Ministers promise to consider carefully pardon for ‘metric martyrs’ who defied the European Union two decades ago

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/02/ministers-inch-closer-pardon-metric-martyrs-defied-eu/

I hope they don’t

Pardoning is so rare that it was a real statement when they used it for that guy at Fishmonger’s hall.

This would just be a silly gesture.
    Agreed. Certainly governments indulge in silly stuff to play to the crowd from time to time (or even a lot), but a pardon for 'metric martyrs' in a transparent effort to rally up some Brexit red meat? That's just lame.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,209
    ydoethur said:

Like a wasp landing on a stinging nettle. Somebody’s going to end up stung and you’re not especially bothered as to which one.
    Should it pan out that Gove did break rules then that's 50% of the Quad of senior ministers who have basically run this country for 18 months and presided over the most extreme measures outside of major wars who have been found to break the rules. Plus of course the PM's most senior aide.

One rule etc etc...
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Labour vote in B&S

1983 38.0%
    1987 41.1%
    1992 43.1%
    1997 49.4%
    2001 49.9%
    2005 45.8%
    2010 41.5%
    2015 43.2%
    2017 55.5%
    2019 42.7%
    2021 35.3%

B&S may have kept Starmer in his job but it shouldn't hide the problems.

And your point?
    It wasn't a particularly good by-election result for Labour, despite what their supporters are saying.
    It was, because they won. It really is as simple as that.
    Not really, as there is a difference between good and great for instance, but it is true the most important thing is they won, regardless of scale or historical significance, and it could help change things up, so it has significance far beyond itself.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Should it pan out that Gove did break rules then that's 50% of the Quad of senior ministers who have basically run this country for 18 months and presided over the most extreme measures outside of major wars who have been found to break the rules. Plus of course the PM's most senior aide.

One rule etc etc...
    Starmer popping the champagne
  • Options

Wonder who.

Such is the initial policy fall-out of the Hancock H-bomb. As for the politics: there is a clear and present danger, causing deep anxiety in Number 10, that this story will trigger an old-fashioned media feeding frenzy, as the vultures circle over the flawed private lives and fragile marriages of other senior government figures. At least one such relationship is under intense scrutiny and causing Johnson’s team serious concern. “The story could break at any moment,” concedes one Downing Street source.

https://www.tortoisemedia.com/2021/06/28/yes-i-was-hugged-by-matt-hancock/

I hear Larry has been playing the tom cat of late.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

England are fourth? I know England fans being negative about their own team is a cliche, but don't make me laugh.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Well, this will go a long way towards soothing Scottish, Welsh, and Northern Irish people, convince them that we really are a union of partners and Downing St has the interests of the whole UK at heart. *arches left eyebrow* https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1411000230070341636

Oh don't be so sensitive. Do people really get upset by such things or just performatively upset? (assuming it is even real)
    Why take the chance? What's the upside? Did you think he'd be cheering for Ukraine?

It's bizarre. It is as if a spin doctor from Mars had designed it: a giant flag to annoy Emily Thornberry; perching on the edge of the table to watch the match. Why?
  • Options

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    6m
    THE TIMES: Quarantine to end for those with double jab #TomorrowsPapersToday

Various members of Indie Sage have just imploded.
  • Options

Since it's the default thing thesedays we may as well blame Carrie.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    eek said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

Doubt it Andy Murray has an automatic ticket to the Olympics and I can't imagine he won't be taking it.
    I'm sure that Murray will play the Olympics, and he might carry on for some time yet. Yes, he struggled through his wins in the first two rounds, but (a) he nonetheless beat Basilashvili, who was a seeded player, and (b) he might've put up a better fight against Shapovalov if he'd kept those first two rounds a lot shorter, which might very well have been the case if he wasn't so rusty.

You can't realistically see Murray back as world number one again, but if he can have a consistent year and get his fitness back up he could quite realistically end up as a top 20 player competing in almost all the major tournaments, and that may be wholly sufficient for him.

Venus Williams is now 41, has chronic health problems, last won a Grand Slam singles title 13 years ago and is struggling to stay in the top 100, and she's still playing. Which, since she's not short of a few dollars, would suggest that she does it out of love. I think Murray's another one of those. I believe he has said as much.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,178
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

England are fourth? I know England fans being negative about their own team is a cliche, but don't make me laugh.
    Thing is we reached the World Cup semi final 3 years ago, and in recent years have aced qualifying for tournaments. We’ve also beaten Spain and Belgium (I think) in recent times. Fifa rankings are literally a numbers game, and we’ve racked up the numbers.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Why take the chance? What's the upside? Did you think he'd be cheering for Ukraine?

It's bizarre. It is as if a spin doctor from Mars had designed it: a giant flag to annoy Emily Thornberry; perching on the edge of the table to watch the match. Why?
    Politicians and flags are weird. I've long wondered why world leaders usually sit or stand behind 2, 3 or even 4 flags, rather than just one big one for instance. People getting upset about it are irrational and would get upset about something else instead, so I suppose its considered there's no downside.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

One rule etc etc...
    Indeed. Looking like his luck has turned and the breeze is picking up in the doldrums.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

One rule etc etc...
    Indeed. Looking like his luck has turned and the breeze is picking up in the doldrums.
    Hope you're well BTW
  • Options

eek said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

I'm sure that Murray will play the Olympics, and he might carry on for some time yet. Yes, he struggled through his wins in the first two rounds, but (a) he nonetheless beat Basilashvili, who was a seeded player, and (b) he might've put up a better fight against Shapovalov if he'd kept those first two rounds a lot shorter, which might very well have been the case if he wasn't so rusty.

You can't realistically see Murray back as world number one again, but if he can have a consistent year and get his fitness back up he could quite realistically end up as a top 20 player competing in almost all the major tournaments, and that may be wholly sufficient for him.

Venus Williams is now 41, has chronic health problems, last won a Grand Slam singles title 13 years ago and is struggling to stay in the top 100, and she's still playing. Which, since she's not short of a few dollars, would suggest that she does it out of love. I think Murray's another one of those. I believe he has said as much.
    Andy Murray has never struck me as a person of great intellectual hinterland. He’s a great tennis player…. And that’s about it. What else would he do? What else would earn him steady six figure salaries?

This is a dilemma for most top sportsmen. They don’t have alternative careers. Few soccer stars have the affability, smarts and charm to become a Gary Lineker - or a great manager

Buy a pub is usually the answer. Many end up bankrupt
  • Options

eek said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

Murray can play as long as he wants. I think he genuinely loves playing and wants to do as long as possible. I think he knows he won’t recapture his brilliance of winning slams again, but he is clearly still a top 30 player, and with more fitness and matches, maybe higher. My only fear is having had the hip surfacing at such a young age, will there be problems later. I hope not.
  • Options
    Leon said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

Andy Murray has never struck me as a person of great intellectual hinterland. He’s a great tennis player…. And that’s about it. What else would he do? What else would earn him steady six figure salaries?

This is a dilemma for most top sportsmen. They don’t have alternative careers. Few soccer stars have the affability, smarts and charm to become a Gary Lineker - or a great manager

Murray will become part of the U.K. tennis family (coaching, mentoring, Davis cup captain etc). He won’t need to look for work.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,071
    edited July 2021
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Course it’s real.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,982
    Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

Basically, we're fucked.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited July 2021

Leon said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

Murray will become part of the U.K. tennis family (coaching, mentoring, Davis cup captain etc). He won’t need to look for work.
    Pretty much also guaranteed a job for 2 weeks in the Wimbledon BBC comms box forming a dynamic but charisma-free bromance duo with Tim Henman, I reckon.
  • Options
    Allison Pearson
    @AllisonPearson
    ·
    28m
    As long as Mr Gove wasn’t mingling with anyone outside his household before Step 2 was lifted on 17 May he’ll be fine.
  • Options

Leon said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

Quite boring tho, no? Compared to being a Wimbledon winning world singles champ?

A very hefty comedown from global glory. And your income reduces by 80% or more. 98%?

See the sad fate of Bjorn Borg. Or Boris Becker

It is the price you have to pay for extreme success in early adulthood, and it applies to many professions, crafts and arts
  • Options

Leon said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

Pretty much also guaranteed a job for 2 weeks in the Wimbledon BBC comms box forming a dynamic but charisma-free bromance duo with Tim Henman, I reckon.
    Only if he stops talking about NHS pay rises though.
  • Options

eek said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

Yes. It seems strange he would bother, given a metal hip and enough money to live in great comfort for the rest of his life, only to then quit after a defeat to the eighth seed.
    He needs to win a few games, perhaps at smaller tournaments, get into the US Open by right, and be fully up to speed for 2022.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

One rule etc etc...
    Hope you're well BTW
    Quite well. Thanks for asking.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

eek said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

Murray can play as long as he wants. I think he genuinely loves playing and wants to do as long as possible. I think he knows he won’t recapture his brilliance of winning slams again, but he is clearly still a top 30 player, and with more fitness and matches, maybe higher. My only fear is having had the hip surfacing at such a young age, will there be problems later. I hope not.
    It’s always sad to see a once top sports personality hanging around the fringes of tournaments.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Italy looked very good - I find it hard to believe that England would have been this Italian side today... but if we do meet them, the chances are they won't be able to repeat that performance.

Today they were a good side putting in an exceptional performance.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

Basically, we're fucked.
    Are you still talking about football or passing on the latest Indie SAGE press release?
  • Options
    Leon said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

Murray will be very wealthy indeed, and I believe he's gone into business already (though I can't recall if he owns one hotel or has set about acquiring a chain.) Regardless, I'm quite sure that the man doesn't need to earn a salary.

More generally, I would imagine that most professional sportspeople who are fortunate enough to make a sufficient pile of cash from their playing careers to retire (and that'd probably encompass all footballers playing in the top two flights nowadays) have a well-managed portfolio of investments which allow them to live out their lives as they please. The ones who piss, snort and gamble the lot up the wall are a rare exception - we probably imagine there are more of them than there are because these cases get so much salacious coverage in the tabloids.
  • Options

eek said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

It’s always sad to see a once top sports personality hanging around the fringes of tournaments.
    I might be mistaken, but unless Norrie beats Federer, is there any other British man going deeper than the third round? No.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850

One rule etc etc...

In politics, you have to accept the higher you go the greater the likelihood your career and reputation will be irretrievably damaged or destroyed.

If you're unlucky or stupid, the important things get lost as well.
  • Options

eek said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

I might be mistaken, but unless Norrie beats Federer, is there any other British man going deeper than the third round? No.
    Yes. What odds could you have got that the last British singles player standing would be Emma Raducanu?
    She's probably a much better chance than Norrie.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,519
    edited July 2021

Leon said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

Given that Murray is worth somewhere north of £100m AIUI, I'm not sure that future income is an issue except for vanity reasons.
  • Options
    A cynic asks: Any chance this divorce news is timed to land just as the entire English bit of the country is not listening and is totally focussed on England football team?
  • Options

Leon said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

Murray will be very wealthy indeed, and I believe he's gone into business already (though I can't recall if he owns one hotel or has set about acquiring a chain.) Regardless, I'm quite sure that the man doesn't need to earn a salary.

More generally, I would imagine that most professional sportspeople who are fortunate enough to make a sufficient pile of cash from their playing careers to retire (and that'd probably encompass all footballers playing in the top two flights nowadays) have a well-managed portfolio of investments which allow them to live out their lives as they please. The ones who piss, snort and gamble the lot up the wall are a rare exception - we probably imagine there are more of them than there are because these cases get so much salacious coverage in the tabloids.
    Super stars earn so much these days, you are probably right, it is almost impossible to lose it all, so they don’t go bankrupt as they did (tho they still do)

I have a sense they are more prone to depression, melancholia and suicide than most. Famous Cricketers are notorious for this
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Foxy said:

Just good friends...

Not Gove's type from what I've heard.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,519
    Scott_xP said:

EXCLUSIVE In The Daily Telegraph

🛳 Private donors to be called on to put wind in the sails of royal yacht project

🛳 Ex-Saga boss Lance Batchelor hired by HMG to lead national flagship project

🛳 Flagship could be hired out to companies to cover costs
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/07/02/private-donors-called-put-wind-sails-royal-yacht-project/

Cue a pivot amongst from 'UK p*ss*ing away government money on a f*cking Brexit Britain yacht' to 'Global Britain has to accept charity for a f*cking yacht" in 5 4 3 2 ...
  • Options

eek said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

You are correct and, whilst it's not inconceivable that Norrie could upset Federer (he put up a good fight in the final at Queen's Club the other week, after all,) it seems, shall we say, unlikely.

That just leaves the sole survivor in the women's draw, young Miss Raducanu. Expect a great deal of hyperventilation about her if she makes it into the second week.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

Italy now co-favourites with Italy. Prices and implied probabilities:-

1= England 3.25 30.8%
    1= Italy 3.25 30.8%
    3 Spain 3.65 27.4%
    4 Denmark 14 7.1%
    5 Czechia 34 2.9%
    6 Ukraine 55 1.8%

Spain looks a bit short here, if both sides play like they did today Italy beat them handily.
  • Options
    Anyone seen any odds on next Cabinet minister to go?
  • Options

A cynic asks: Any chance this divorce news is timed to land just as the entire English bit of the country is not listening and is totally focussed on England football team?

Maybe, or it could be in reaction to a story about to break in the Sunday papers. Though the official statement is that they just drifted apart, so perhaps there is nothing. It would be a bit daft to say that if the Sundays have already discovered a lover or two.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

Yes. What odds could you have got that the last British singles player standing would be Emma Raducanu?
    Don’t rule out Norrie. I think he’s won the second highest number of tour games this year, is confident and with a home crowd. Downside is he is facing possibly the greatest natural tennis player of the last 50 years, or indeed ever. Federer is beatable, but it probably won’t be Norrie. But he has a chance.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Leon said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

Given that Murray is worth somewhere north of £100m AIUI, I'm not sure that future income is an issue except for vanity reasons.
    No but top sports players need to do something ‘after’ and I think he’ll follow his mum into the hierarchy.
  • Options
    I've just seen the name of the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    I see that Slough Council has declared itself bankrupt.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

Her opponent is an experienced pro and dumped Azarenka out of the tournament in the last round, but if she gets into the fourth round it'll be the first time in twelve attempts. The match is also being played on No.1 Court so, if Miss Raducanu doesn't get stage fright from being promoted into a stadium for the first time, having the crowd on side ought to help her. So there's everything to play for.
  • Options
    "'A period of silence on their part would now be welcome': Blairite Lord Mandelson slaps down Angela Rayner and the hard Left who hoped for Labour defeat in Batley in order to topple Keir Starmer"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9749507/Blairite-Lord-Mandelson-slaps-Angela-Rayner-hard-Left-hoped-Labour-defeat-Batley.html
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I see that Slough Council has declared itself bankrupt.

Croydon recently got itself out of Section 114.

Slough's problems began before the pandemic but essentially they have spent themselves to a dead-end.

It's well known in local Government circles a number of authorities are continuing to struggle with pandemic-related costs and lack of income.

We still await any meaningful contribution from the Government on the funding of social care.
  • Options
    Since we're talking tennis, anyone know what's happened to Kyle Edmund? I've not heard his name for a while.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    edited July 2021
    Neither Italy or Spain should be feared.

But we have a long way to go before we even earn the right to think about them.
  • Options

Since we're talking tennis, anyone know what's happened to Kyle Edmund? I've not heard his name for a while.

Chronic knee problems. Hasn't played since last October. Has rather vanished off the radar sadly.
  • Options

He took advantage of the pandemic to get knee surgery. Then another.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Murray has won 61 million dollars in ATP prize money.

I imagine he has a wee bit of sponsorship as well.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Leon said:

Actually, England could beat either of these teams. We have a tenacious defence, some superb if underused attackers, an on-form top class goalie, and from the semis on, we’re at home

This is easily the most winnable tournament for England since 1996 (which we should have won)

They haven't looked as good as Italy so far but the Wembley factor means it would be somewhere near a 50-50 contest.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,982
    Alistair said:

He will, of course, have had to pay tax though. And he'll have had a few living and coaching expenses.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    stodge said:

I've just seen the name of the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu...

He's got the moustache!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

He will, of course, have had to pay tax though. And he'll have had a few living and coaching expenses.
    Can't see him claiming UC for a while though.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173

Always said Lukaku was rubbish.

What do you expect from an ex Chelsea/Everton/Manchester United player?

His best days were on loan at West Brom. What a career he could have had if he signed for the Baggies rather than Everton.
This discussion has been closed.