Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

An LD Chesham & Amersham share of 40%+ would shake Tory complacency – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    isam said:

I always thought ‘biopic’ rhymed with ‘myopic’ but heard it pronounced ‘bye-oh-pic’ yesterday. Which is correct?

I always thought the same. I think we were both wrong.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited June 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Just got back from a massive Covid-19 experiment at Edgbaston cricket ground. 18,000 people squashed together with hardly any social distancing or mask wearing. It'll be interesting to see the results.

As far as I can recall from seeing the TV coverage, practically nobody bothered to wear masks when they let football crowds back at the end of last season, either. It's safety in numbers - you're unlikely to be picked out and harassed when 10,000 people disregard the edict in the same place at the same time.

No evidence that this seeded huge disease outbreaks in every city with a Premier League side - which is logical. Combine the outdoor effect with low general prevalence and the risk was virtually zero. Doesn't mean we won't still be stuck with gags everywhere for years and years, of course.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    One for @HYUFD

Epping Forest, John Major & Gordon Brown

https://youtu.be/2aJGz0r9-pY
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

isam said:

I always thought ‘biopic’ rhymed with ‘myopic’ but heard it pronounced ‘bye-oh-pic’ yesterday. Which is correct?

I'll take bee-oooh-peace for $100?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,580

rcs1000 said:

alex_ said:

Anyone think Macron has got a bit rattled by that poll in France allegedly showing that Johnson was surprisingly popular there?

No. Because Boris Johnson is NOT gonna run for President of France, at least not THIS decade.
    Is there any issue with Boris having both jobs simultaneously?
    As a born-again left-footer, perhaps Bozo has his eye on becoming the next Pope?
    If Calista Gringrich (Newt's third wife) could be US Ambassador to the Holy See, then certainly no reason why Boris Johnson could not be Bishop of Rome.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

Their counter-culture is now The Culture so to be counter-culture today they'd need to be arguing for extremist nonsense like treating people as individuals as they come, accepting the realities of natural biology, conserving our heritage, and weird "out there" stuff like that.

No, you're thinking of the so-called woke stuff that Leon always goes on about. Green counter-culture is wearing recycled clothes, veganism, not having a car, soft drugs, that sort of thing.
    You sure? Caroline Lucas for one seems keen never to be knowingly outwoked.
    Out of curiousity why do greens never bemoan the loss of valuable resources by burning or burying bodies. Even if we don't want to eat them pigs would.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Squeeze on Pfizer vaccine supplies casts further doubt on 21 June reopening

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/squeeze-pfizer-vaccine-supplies-doubt-21-june-reopening-1046212

How long before some EU gloating?
    I think they're so far behind, that they're probably not going to want to draw attention to vaccines. That being said... they were right to get a big Pfizer order in in March, and we didn't bother because we expected Novavax to arrive.
    Is there any update on Novavax and Valneva ?
    The problem with Novavax is that the vaccine is fantastic, but the company has no experience building massive vaccine mass production facilities and dealing with a complex supply chain. My gut is that neither Valneva or Novavax will arrive in meaningful quantities until after the pandemic is already over.

The same is true for the EU and CureVac: they'll have 200 million doses arriving after they've vaccinated everyone.

It is, however, probably good news for the rest of the world, as these doses can be sold to them.
    Novavax also have the same issue as AZ in that they have no experience in running a clinical trial for vaccines so their trial was poorly designed and started a month too late because they wasted time dithering about it rather than smashing through it in record time (as you predicted around August and September that Pfizer would be first despite starting after AZ).

It's the current holdup in getting it out there, aiui the manufacturing is "okay" and ramping up to hit 5m per week in the UK and 600m per year globally by the end of Q3 with double the latter figure for 2022. If the government took the risk and gave Novavax an emergency use licence for under 40s it solves the supply issues overnight as there are around 10m doses available to use for the UK immediately on approval, potentially covering all 25-34 year olds remaining to be jabbed with two doses.

However, given that Pfizer is close to getting a full licence the bar has now been set extremely high and it would be a huge unnecessary risk to give a vaccines that has yet to pass PIII trials an emergency authorisation while there is a fully authorised one available to us with 10m per month due from July onwards.

The reason we're running low on Pfizer is because our original 40m order has almost completed as it was a H1 delivery schedule, the 60m is for H2 with an even schedule. Moderna will cover most of the gap which is why over 25s were invited and over 18s will come in a couple of weeks. It's been the biggest mistake from the government in vaccines to not purcahse more volume from Pfizer and Moderna in March when both were taking orders for Q2/3 delivery. We waited for too long.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Yesterday I posted Paddy Powers undercover seat bet prices, which I’d seem on oddschecker… the Tories looked too low (329.5) & the LDs too high (40.5) but the prices don’t seem to exist on their website

I thought they maybe left up from the last GE, but someone on here said they’d been having £20s on them for a while… any idea? Anyone else got on them?

40.5 for LDs is ridiculous. I don't believe it is genuine at all. The market is going to be at +/- 12.
    Yeah it has to be old prices left up I think
  • Options

isam said:

We are talking "biopic" meaning "biographical picture"? Then certain it's bio-pic, and logically so.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    On another subject: Chile. Apparently among the leaders of the vaccine race yet in a country with less than one third of the UK's population is today reporting nearly 200 deaths and over 7000 positive tests.
    I may be missing a stage here, but my conclusion is that Chinese vaccines are shit.
    This raises two questions:
    How will Chinese reopening to the world work? Presumably badly - though we may not hear about it if it does.
    How will Chinese vaccine diplomacy play out? Again, possibly not as well as China hopes.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,637
    "Scotland will not take knee at Euro 2020 but pledge to ‘tackle racism’

Team will stand before kick-off rather than kneel
    Andy Robertson says gesture is ‘best way to show solidarity’"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/10/scotland-will-not-take-knee-at-euro-2020-but-pledge-to-tackle-racism
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Andy_JS said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/10/scotland-will-not-take-knee-at-euro-2020-but-pledge-to-tackle-racism

Of the teams in England's group, no one else will be taking the knee.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,637
    Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

AN LD CHESHAM & AMERSHAM SHARE OF 40%+ WOULD SHAKE TORY COMPLACENCY

No, it won't. The LDs are finished

I remember people saying that about them in 1989.

Anyway, they may be on a national level, but they are the main opposition to the Conservatives across swathes of southern England.
    I feel this is different: an existential moment. What is their role in British politics? To be overtaken by the Greens, surely - the Greens have all the passion and a holy cause, and they advance globally, the Lib Dems believe.... what?

And they have shrunk so badly at Westminster they are probably beyond recovery. They will live on but wither slowly but definitively, like the Methodist Church - once closely linked to them
    I'd be very surprised if the constituency containing central Bristol and the West End / university area of the city doesn't go to the Greens at some time in the next 10 years.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,996
    Sean_F said:

Been a while since Mrs May has been on the front page of the Telegraph:

Friday’s Daily TELEGRAPH: “May: Global Britain is closed for business”

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1403097176855691266?s=20

She really is very bitter isn't she.
    She has a fair point.
    Indeed. Not sure about this “bitter” narrative. Seems a PB thing.

She’s right.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

Their counter-culture is now The Culture so to be counter-culture today they'd need to be arguing for extremist nonsense like treating people as individuals as they come, accepting the realities of natural biology, conserving our heritage, and weird "out there" stuff like that.

No, you're thinking of the so-called woke stuff that Leon always goes on about. Green counter-culture is wearing recycled clothes, veganism, not having a car, soft drugs, that sort of thing.
    Out of curiousity why do greens never bemoan the loss of valuable resources by burning or burying bodies. Even if we don't want to eat them pigs would.
    These resources aren't lost though. Nutrients are reabsorbed into soil and/or eaten by worms etc.
    Indeed, there is a method of woodland burial much favoured by greenness which speeds this process up, using nutrients from dead bodies to nourish woodlands, thereby supporting wildlife etc.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

Andy_JS said:

Just got back from a massive Covid-19 experiment at Edgbaston cricket ground. 18,000 people squashed together with hardly any social distancing or mask wearing. It'll be interesting to see the results.

As far as I can recall from seeing the TV coverage, practically nobody bothered to wear masks when they let football crowds back at the end of last season, either. It's safety in numbers - you're unlikely to be picked out and harassed when 10,000 people disregard the edict in the same place at the same time.

No evidence that this seeded huge disease outbreaks in every city with a Premier League side - which is logical. Combine the outdoor effect with low general prevalence and the risk was virtually zero. Doesn't mean we won't still be stuck with gags everywhere for years and years, of course.
    At the Leicester match, masks were worn throughout. I didn't see much deviation, or for that matter any enforcement on the miscreants.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

AN LD CHESHAM & AMERSHAM SHARE OF 40%+ WOULD SHAKE TORY COMPLACENCY

No, it won't. The LDs are finished

I remember people saying that about them in 1989.

Anyway, they may be on a national level, but they are the main opposition to the Conservatives across swathes of southern England.
    I feel this is different: an existential moment. What is their role in British politics? To be overtaken by the Greens, surely - the Greens have all the passion and a holy cause, and they advance globally, the Lib Dems believe.... what?

And they have shrunk so badly at Westminster they are probably beyond recovery. They will live on but wither slowly but definitively, like the Methodist Church - once closely linked to them
    I'd be very surprised if the constituency containing central Bristol and the West End / university area of the city doesn't go to the Greens at some time in the next 10 years.
    If Starmer tries to triangulate some sort of Blair 3rd way approach, that won't be anywhere near left enough for them.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

We could start giving people sky burials? Would do wonders for the population of scavenging birds.
  • Options
    QT mainlining on the big issue of the day.

Sausages.
  • Options

Paul Hunter, professor in medicine at the University of East Anglia, thinks R of Indian variant isn't 6, no he thinks its 8...

Bruce Forysth....higher, lower, higher, lower.... nice to see you...

If it was then millions would be dying in India.
    We don't know the true scale of death. We do know lots of bodies are floating down the Ganges...
    The round the clock burning of bodies is also a bit of a clue that the real number will be very large.
    Are there any educated guesses how large? Ten times official figures? Thirty?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

At the Leicester match, masks were worn throughout. I didn't see much deviation, or for that matter any enforcement on the miscreants.
    Oh. Maybe my eyes deceived me? We often end up using football as background noise in our household, rather than paying close attention to it. OTOH poor Leicester is an almost perennial Plague hotspot. Taking off yet again, I believe...?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

These resources aren't lost though. Nutrients are reabsorbed into soil and/or eaten by worms etc.
    Indeed, there is a method of woodland burial much favoured by greenness which speeds this process up, using nutrients from dead bodies to nourish woodlands, thereby supporting wildlife etc.
    Yes, my father in law was buried in a wicker casket in a woodland burial site, with an oak tree planted. He was LD rather than Green, but by far the nicest funeral and burial that I have been to. Completely in the spirit of the man.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I’ve suggested on this Board before that the LDs seriously consider changing their name to the Liberal Greens.

Liberal Green… the posh end of a small market town somewhere in the Home Counties
  • Options

Sausages.

It's the 687,544th excuse to have a futile slanging match over Brexit, so of course they are.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Sean_F said:

She has a fair point.
    She doesn't.

She's just cheerleading for Heathrow.
    Is she a member of Steve Baker's Covid Recovery Group?
    Has she been voting against extending laws restricting civil liberties?

Or is it just international flights she wants running unrestricted while domestic life is locked down?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Completely off topic, but I was just cheeking a few sites before logging off for the night, when I came across this:

https://hotair.com/allahpundit/2021/06/10/cnn-interviews-jeffrey-toobin-how-did-it-feel-to-be-caught-masturbating-on-a-zoom-call-n395909

I never heard of this chap, or what he did on camera, but this did make me chuckle.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Squeeze on Pfizer vaccine supplies casts further doubt on 21 June reopening

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/squeeze-pfizer-vaccine-supplies-doubt-21-june-reopening-1046212

How long before some EU gloating?
    I think they're so far behind, that they're probably not going to want to draw attention to vaccines. That being said... they were right to get a big Pfizer order in in March, and we didn't bother because we expected Novavax to arrive.
    Is there any update on Novavax and Valneva ?
    The problem with Novavax is that the vaccine is fantastic, but the company has no experience building massive vaccine mass production facilities and dealing with a complex supply chain. My gut is that neither Valneva or Novavax will arrive in meaningful quantities until after the pandemic is already over.

The same is true for the EU and CureVac: they'll have 200 million doses arriving after they've vaccinated everyone.

It is, however, probably good news for the rest of the world, as these doses can be sold to them.
    Novavax also have the same issue as AZ in that they have no experience in running a clinical trial for vaccines so their trial was poorly designed and started a month too late because they wasted time dithering about it rather than smashing through it in record time (as you predicted around August and September that Pfizer would be first despite starting after AZ).

It's the current holdup in getting it out there, aiui the manufacturing is "okay" and ramping up to hit 5m per week in the UK and 600m per year globally by the end of Q3 with double the latter figure for 2022. If the government took the risk and gave Novavax an emergency use licence for under 40s it solves the supply issues overnight as there are around 10m doses available to use for the UK immediately on approval, potentially covering all 25-34 year olds remaining to be jabbed with two doses.

However, given that Pfizer is close to getting a full licence the bar has now been set extremely high and it would be a huge unnecessary risk to give a vaccines that has yet to pass PIII trials an emergency authorisation while there is a fully authorised one available to us with 10m per month due from July onwards.

The reason we're running low on Pfizer is because our original 40m order has almost completed as it was a H1 delivery schedule, the 60m is for H2 with an even schedule. Moderna will cover most of the gap which is why over 25s were invited and over 18s will come in a couple of weeks. It's been the biggest mistake from the government in vaccines to not purcahse more volume from Pfizer and Moderna in March when both were taking orders for Q2/3 delivery. We waited for too long.
    Thanks Max
  • Options

Foxy said:

Incidentally, I think the new constituency of Oadby, Wigston and Blaby looks a realistic LD target.

The boundaries won’t happen. Most likely that, along with scores of others, will go through near infinite iterations and end up entirely unrecognisable from what was originally proposed. Oadby will end up being a salient of Nottingham South. Wigston a pene-exclave of Birmingham Ladywood.

I have no evidence of this, other than experience of the way this shit tends to play out.
    But hasn't Parliament already approved the new boundaries, albeit with a bit of wiggle room BEFORE they were recommended. Different from past situations?

EDIT - AIUI the commission(s) may make revisions (and likely will make some) but NOT the Commons?
    Sure. But expect a dog’s breakfast if indeed there is any form of meal at all. Blaby will end up as a remote, slightly posher, satellite of Glasgow Hillhead.
    Perhaps, IF someone makes a reasoned submission to the commission to that effect. Which of course (in this example) will NOT happen.

Commission will NOT make changes to their recommendations just for funsies. And for every suggestion to change something in a major way, likely to be push back from those who would be ill-affected by direct OR indirect consequences of revisions.

Which is my logic for thinking that changes to recommended boundaries will be pretty minimal.
    Yes, obviously I was taking the piss. But you catch my drift!
  • Options

isam said:

We are talking "biopic" meaning "biographical picture"? Then certain it's bio-pic, and logically so.
    Maybe I’ve been pronouncing biography wrong too! I thought they’d have the same sound, biog-biop
  • Options

Foxy said:

Incidentally, I think the new constituency of Oadby, Wigston and Blaby looks a realistic LD target.

The boundaries won’t happen. Most likely that, along with scores of others, will go through near infinite iterations and end up entirely unrecognisable from what was originally proposed. Oadby will end up being a salient of Nottingham South. Wigston a pene-exclave of Birmingham Ladywood.

I have no evidence of this, other than experience of the way this shit tends to play out.
    But hasn't Parliament already approved the new boundaries, albeit with a bit of wiggle room BEFORE they were recommended. Different from past situations?

EDIT - AIUI the commission(s) may make revisions (and likely will make some) but NOT the Commons?
    Sure. But expect a dog’s breakfast if indeed there is any form of meal at all. Blaby will end up as a remote, slightly posher, satellite of Glasgow Hillhead.
    Perhaps, IF someone makes a reasoned submission to the commission to that effect. Which of course (in this example) will NOT happen.

Commission will NOT make changes to their recommendations just for funsies. And for every suggestion to change something in a major way, likely to be push back from those who would be ill-affected by direct OR indirect consequences of revisions.

Which is my logic for thinking that changes to recommended boundaries will be pretty minimal.
    Yes, obviously I was taking the piss. But you catch my drift!
    Indeed. Still wonder what actual experts think is % of recommendations will actually be implemented?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

Yep. She spends a lot more time chuntering on about that shite than focusing on the environment .
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"English footballers uniquely stupid" shock.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,442

Sean_F said:

She has a fair point.

She’s right.
    It's one of the "Boris Is My King" tells.

Boris knows that he spent 3 years undermining her, which is why he'd rather she just went away.

And when Boris wants something, all his friends want the same thing.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Cookie said:

Paul Hunter, professor in medicine at the University of East Anglia, thinks R of Indian variant isn't 6, no he thinks its 8...

Bruce Forysth....higher, lower, higher, lower.... nice to see you...

If it was then millions would be dying in India.
    We don't know the true scale of death. We do know lots of bodies are floating down the Ganges...
    The round the clock burning of bodies is also a bit of a clue that the real number will be very large.
    Are there any educated guesses how large? Ten times official figures? Thirty?
    The FT data dive guy said perhaps ~10x based on the number of cremations, but that is obviously a guess-estimate.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Sean_F said:

She has a fair point.

She’s right.
    I had thought I was alown on PB, in wanting all travel restriction lifted, good to know I'm not the only one,

Just it's a pity its Mrs May who is championing the courses nationally.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    isam said:

isam said:

Maybe I’ve been pronouncing biography wrong too! I thought they’d have the same sound, biog-biop
    Shorthand for biography is NOT biog, but bio.

IIRC, the term "biopic" was coined by Variety or the Hollywood Reporter or some other movie media?

EDIT - BTW, hope you are feeling better!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109

Sausages.

PB has always had a tendency towards being a sausage party
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Oh. Maybe my eyes deceived me? We often end up using football as background noise in our household, rather than paying close attention to it. OTOH poor Leicester is an almost perennial Plague hotspot. Taking off yet again, I believe...?
    No, only 20 or so patients, 1 on ITU and that one from out of area. It has been pretty flat. All ethnicities and ages.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

"English footballers uniquely stupid" shock.
    I think we are going to see a lot of booing across the tournament at any team doing this. I don't think the Eastern European fans especially are going to hold back their thoughts on the matter, as we heard when Hungary played Ireland the other day and they already have quite a reputation when it comes to not exactly been onboard the diversity and inclusion train.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

cremated bodies pretty much are lost
  • Options
    edited June 2021

rcs1000 said:

BigRich said:

I cant open the link, what is she winging about?

does she what more lockdown or less? or is it something else?
    She's complaining (and she's not wrong) that the guidance and rules on foreign travel are complex and unclear.
    When people ask for clarity what they're really after is to be told a clear Yes.

Tell them a clear No and suddenly they don't want clarity but exceptions and possibilities and turn-a-blind-eye vagueness.
    Well, I think (and I am biased) that the rules should be different for double vaccinated people. I find it astonishing that France and Italy are now advertising to Americans to come on holiday, so long as they're vaccinated, while the UK makes no distinction between me coming from a low Covid incidence place and with two Moderna jabs, and someone from a place with 10 or 20x the Covid incidence and no jab.

While in the UK, even if you're coming to open a new factory and you're double vaccinated, that you're required to sequester yourself for two weeks? Or is it less than two weeks with the test thing? And what do I need to bring to the airport? And is there a list of accepted testing partners?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

The carbon in our bodies is combined with O2 in the air to make CO2, which is essential food for plants.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

Are they? Presumably the ashes contain the bulk of the matter of the body and therefore the nutrients which can then be used by plants etc wherever they are scattered. I would have thought?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Is this yet another Leicester post?

Never in the course of PB has the life of such a small city been witnessed by so many.

From what I can see, masks have been either not worn, or hung around the necks of, most sports fans. There were almost none on show today at Edgbaston.

Maybe Leicester fans are unique. Dunno.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Its a good thing then that England's team are doing a unique gesture they have chosen on behalf of their own Kick It Out campaign to stand again racism, rather than some generic thing every team is doing. 👍
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

No, only 20 or so patients, 1 on ITU and that one from out of area. It has been pretty flat. All ethnicities and ages.
    Thank goodness for that. Long may it continue. Leicester in particular is due a break.
  • Options
    When I think AI is getting really good, I am reminded how poor it still is.....Spotify has just recommended Maroon5 to me....Maroon5....I am so triggered, I might have to write to Spotify and complain.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

The carbon in our bodies is combined with O2 in the air to make CO2, which is essential food for plants.
    I thought co2 in the atmosphere was meant to be a bad thing.....maybe I misunderstood
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

BigRich said:

I cant open the link, what is she winging about?

does she what more lockdown or less? or is it something else?
    She's complaining (and she's not wrong) that the guidance and rules on foreign travel are complex and unclear.
    When people ask for clarity what they're really after is to be told a clear Yes.

Tell them a clear No and suddenly they don't want clarity but exceptions and possibilities and turn-a-blind-eye vagueness.
    Well, I think (and I am biased) that the rules should be different for double vaccinated people. I find it astonishing that France and Italy are now advertising to Americans to come on holiday, so long as they're vaccinated.

While in the UK, even if you're coming to open a new factory and you're double vaccinated, that you're required to sequester yourself for two weeks? Or is it less than two weeks with the test thing? And what do I need to bring to the airport? And is there a list of accepted testing partners?
    Its an inevitable consequence of the airlines and airports ignoring every restriction they could for the past year.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Shorthand for biography is NOT biog, but bio.

IIRC, the term "biopic" was coined by Variety or the Hollywood Reporter or some other movie media?

EDIT - BTW, hope you are feeling better!
    Thanks. Yes I do feel better, but not 100%- a bit tired and headachey. The shock of passing out shook my confidence quite a bit
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

Are they? Presumably the ashes contain the bulk of the matter of the body and therefore the nutrients which can then be used by plants etc wherever they are scattered. I would have thought?
    Most of the body goes up the chimney I would have though in the form of water vapour, co2 and various other gases
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    isam said:

The latter

Bio (short for biography) - Pic (ture)
  • Options
    For PB nightowl brigade - New York City final Democratic Primary 2021 Mayoral Debate 7-8pm EDT = 1-2am BST

Debate will air on CBS2 New York (see link below). Five candidate invited: Eric Adams (who at first said he would NOT attend, but changed his mind), Kathryn Garcia, Scott Springer, Maya Wiley and Andrew Yang.

Note that last poll had Adams in first place, Wiley in 2nd, Yang in 3rd, then Garcia & Springer.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live/cbsn-local-ny/
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

I thought co2 in the atmosphere was meant to be a bad thing.....maybe I misunderstood
    Well that's a whole new can of worms!

Burning a human body in that respect is no more environmentally harmful than burning a bonfire. Your carbon is all 'current' carbon. The reason burning fuels like coal is harmful is that this is 'historically carbon being returned to the atmosphere far too abruptly.
    Actually, I think it's the case that the increase in CO2 in the atmosphere is tremendously good news for plants and is resulting in regreening in areas like the fringes of the Sahara.
    A new balance will be found, and the planet will be fine. Whether humans will still have a a place on it is another matter!
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Never in the course of PB has the life of such a small city been witnessed by so many.

From what I can see, masks have been either not worn, or hung around the necks of, most sports fans. There were almost none on show today at Edgbaston.

Captain Morgan parading the FA Cup taken be me. As you can see the fans are nearly all wearing masks
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    BigRich said:

Sean_F said:

She has a fair point.

She’s right.
    I had thought I was alown on PB, in wanting all travel restriction lifted, good to know I'm not the only one,

Just it's a pity its Mrs May who is championing the courses nationally.
    As she's MP for Maidenhead she must have a lot of constituents who work at or from Heathrow.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

Burning a human body in that respect is no more environmentally harmful than burning a bonfire. Your carbon is all 'current' carbon. The reason burning fuels like coal is harmful is that this is 'historically carbon being returned to the atmosphere far too abruptly.
    Actually, I think it's the case that the increase in CO2 in the atmosphere is tremendously good news for plants and is resulting in regreening in areas like the fringes of the Sahara.
    A new balance will be found, and the planet will be fine. Whether humans will still have a a place on it is another matter!
    Well greens I believe are against wood burning stoves too which is like a bonfire of current carbon
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

Most of the body goes up the chimney I would have though in the form of water vapour, co2 and various other gases
    But even that is not lost - nature will soon find a use for all that. It will stay on earth and find its way into other organisms.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Captain Morgan parading the FA Cup taken be me. As you can see the fans are nearly all wearing masks
    Not all, but fair enough on that shot most are.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

But even that is not lost - nature will soon find a use for all that. It will stay on earth and find its way into other organisms.
    Well if we just fed it to pigs in the first place we would have bacon
  • Options
    Neither Gillian Keegan nor Lucy Powell sounding very keen on continuing lockdown.

Yanis dead again FWIW.
  • Options

When I think AI is getting really good, I am reminded how poor it still is.....Spotify has just recommended Maroon5 to me....Maroon5....I am so triggered, I might have to write to Spotify and complain.

I was offered this exchange between human and robot a couple of years ago:
    "Alexa, put Test Match Special on."
    "I'm sorry, I don't understand. Perhaps you'd enjoy this song by Coldplay."
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

Well greens I believe are against wood burning stoves too which is like a bonfire of current carbon
    The problem with wood burning stoves is the particulates in the smoke.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

Well if we just fed it to pigs in the first place we would have bacon
    Ha ha - true! There are few more efficient recyclers than pigs.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Could have been worse.....Radiohead live atttttttttttttttt...heads for the naughty step.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

Cremations dont produce particulates?
  • Options
    Frank Luntz being very patronising to an otherwise all-female panel. Nice gesture from
    Gillian Keegan to say that Lucy Powell is her friend and they just have a different view. Let them debate FFS!
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

That isn't about CO2. It is about the other pollutants they chuck out.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

I think that the high temperature of cremation ovens greatly reduces particulates.

Not that I am an advocate of cremations. Woodland burial of the remains of my body for me, after the anatomy dept of my Medical School are finished with it.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Yeah, they are all effing shit. I limit Siri to “phone this person” or “play some music”. It’s about her level!
  • Options

Neither Gillian Keegan nor Lucy Powell sounding very keen on continuing lockdown.

Yanis dead again FWIW.

Yanis star of the show, when he gets the chance to contribute.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

I think that the high temperature of cremation ovens greatly reduces particulates.

Not that I am an advocate of cremations. Woodland burial of the remains of my body for me, after the anatomy dept of my Medical School are finished with it.
    I would prefer a hog roast myself
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

In a crematorium no. On a big pile of wood yes.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Cookie said:

Yeah, they are all effing shit. I limit Siri to “phone this person” or “play some music”. It’s about her level!
    Interesting how Google demo'ed that tech several years ago as ready to go, where their assistant was supposed to phone the restaurant or hairdressers for you and deal with the conversation...and none of us have that.

While Spotify seems to think I love absolutely crap music....well I do (or so Mrs U tells me), but not that sort of crap music.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    This is the picture Charles Michel chose to post of his arrival in Cornwall.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

One of the strange things about studying in the dissection room (in my day students did their own dissection, 6 to a cadaver) is that it always made people very hungry.
  • Options

Yanis dead again FWIW.

He’s been really good!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

One of the strange things about studying in the dissection room (in my day students did their own direction, 6 to a cadaver) is that it always made people very hungry.
    Did you hand out doggy bags?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    edited June 2021
    I, for one, volunteer my cold, dead corpse to fatten a pig for @Pagan2 to feast on.
    Win win!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I, for one, volunteer my cold, dead corpse to fatten a pig for @Pagan2 to feast on.
    Win win!

aww thanks, I was trying while tongue in cheek to make a serious point we waste a lot of protein and I have yet to be convinced it couldnt be more reefficently recylcled even if its only pet food
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Counter-culture?

One of the strange things about studying in the dissection room (in my day students did their own direction, 6 to a cadaver) is that it always made people very hungry.
    Did you hand out doggy bags?
    No, taking anything from the dissection room was an instant expulsion offence.

• Options

Cookie said:

Interesting how Google demo'ed that tech several years ago as ready to go, where their assistant was supposed to phone the restaurant or hairdressers for you and deal with the conversation...and none of us have that.

While Spotify seems to think I love absolutely crap music....well I do (or so Mrs U tells me), but not that sort of crap music.
    "You're a human," Spotify thinks, "and humans seem to like Coldplay. Can't see it myself, but that's humans for you!"
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

"You're a human," Spotify thinks, "and humans seem to like Coldplay. Can't see it myself, but that's humans for you!"
    Spotify can't have met many humans then, alternatively its just you I have spotify and its never recommended me cold play
  • Options

Yanis dead again FWIW.

He’s been really good!
    This bit was good

https://twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/1403120389165834245?s=19
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    edited June 2021

The special relationship between the United States and the United Kingdom is stronger than ever. Thank you for hosting me today, Prime Minister Johnson.

https://twitter.com/potus/status/1403098141352763393

Since we don't tend to address our politicians with title first, it always throws me when the americans do it. Prime Minister Johnson just sounds wrong.

Also, that photo looks like an elderly father telling his adult son that his parents are getting divorces but they will still love him. They took him to his favourite beach spot to break it to him gently.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336

isam said:

That's how I pronounce biopic, but also how I pronounce myopic. (Puzzled look)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

Sean_F said:

She has a fair point.

She’s right.
    I don't think it is PB, it's just what people expect of a former leader who sticks around, because we are no longer used to it. Any criticism she makes will be said to be her being bitter. And perhaps she is, but what's the alternative? She not raise matters when she thinks she should?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The special relationship between the United States and the United Kingdom is stronger than ever. Thank you for hosting me today, Prime Minister Johnson.

Since we don't tend to address our politicians with title first, it always throws me when the americans do it. Prime Minister Johnson just sounds wrong.

Also, that photo looks like an elderly father telling his adult son that his parents are getting divorces but they will still love him. They took him to his favourite beach spot to break it to him gently.
    In this case, more like the son breaking news to father, that he's getting married for the 3rd time. And father replying, "we're not surprised".

FYI, Uncle Joe has been married twice, but never divorced.
  • Options

isam said:

It’s by-o-pic and my-opic.

They don’t rhyme.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

She has a fair point.

She’s right.
    I don't think it is PB, it's just what people expect of a former leader who sticks around, because we are no longer used to it. Any criticism she makes will be said to be her being bitter. And perhaps she is, but what's the alternative? She not raise matters when she thinks she should?
    The alternative is to step down from Parliament with some dignity and let someone else fresh take the seat.
  • Options
    Joe Biden is breath of fresh air, says Boris Johnson

Imagine if the Trumpster still had twitter...his small hands would be firing tweets off like a big Dom after a double espresso.
  • Options

isam said:

It’s by-o-pic and my-opic.

They don’t rhyme.
    It’s not by-o-graphy though is it?
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

UK to donate 100m spare doses of vaccine over the next year.

Only 5m by the end of September - but another 25m in 2021, the remaining ones in 2022.

Doses will come from the unused supply ordered by Britain last year.

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1403103578429038592?s=20

Hardly a surprise announcement on eve of this summit.

That limp announcement will change to a bigger stronger commitment in the next 72hrs.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    edited June 2021
    kle4 said:

Serious exercise, cut down on the booze, have a salad. And get your hair cut. In twenty years you could look like me. Only shorter.
    How about it, son?
    Yeah, yeah, sure, sure Dad.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

Imagine if the Trumpster still had twitter...his small hands would be firing tweets off like a big Dom after a double espresso.

Speaking of Dom, he's been reduced to tweeting #SackHancock.

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1403070226460196869
  • Options

Speaking of Dom, he's been reduced to tweeting #SackHancock.

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1403070226460196869
    SAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDD....as somebody once said.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007

He has been tweeting about his great relationship with Putin

https://twitter.com/BBCJonSopel/status/1403111004498653185?s=20
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Labour seems to be caught up in some sort of trans vs feminist civil war on twitter
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

UK to donate 100m spare doses of vaccine over the next year.

Only 5m by the end of September - but another 25m in 2021, the remaining ones in 2022.

Doses will come from the unused supply ordered by Britain last year.

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1403103578429038592?s=20

Hardly a surprise announcement on eve of this summit.

That limp announcement will change to a bigger stronger commitment in the next 72hrs.
    100mn isn't limp. Pro rata that's like the USA donating 500mn.

*Checks notes* Hey that is what Biden did! Funny that!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Labour seems to be caught up in some sort of trans vs feminist civil war on twitter

Starmer made the politically naïve move of inserting himself into the TERF wars by backing self identification...and on the day that there is a court judgement involving a lady who is very vocal of her support that "women are women".

Its like the Vietnam of issues, as a politician you just aren't going to win, you are just going to get involved in fighting an unwinnable never ending war.
This discussion has been closed.