Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

“Probability factor of one to one. We have normality. I repeat: we have normality. Anything you stil

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226

As Susan Michie, is there ever a week she doesn't pop up on Sky News screaming stop it all, close it all down?

As an aside, the lead voice on indie SAGE is David King. He once did Vallance's job iirc.

Where would we be if he had been driving policy for last 18 months?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2021
  • Options
    edited May 2021

As Susan Michie, is there ever a week she doesn't pop up on Sky News screaming stop it all, close it all down?

As an aside, the lead voice on indie SAGE is David King. He once did Vallance's job iirc.

Basically the same place.

The government have consistently been told by SAGE to lockdown and then they wait 1-2 weeks to enact it and for whatever reason they just won't close the border.

All the rest is just tinkering around the edges and make virtually no difference.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    isam said:

Yes, agree completely.

Shame on youngvulgarian for being so sickeningly, boringly, predictably boilerplate lefty stereotype as to having to hate everything about someone she doesn’t like’s wedding.

Uurgh indeed 👏🏻
    Tbf it's the mirror of you and "Sir Keir". Chances of you not hating any reported detail about him are virtually zero.
  • Options
    Eight friends went to watch United in pub last Wednesday (two groups of four), first time all been out in over a year, I gave it a miss as in isolation waiting for wife to have operation.

Yesterday one of them get an alert on phone about being in contact with positive case, took lateral flow test, positive.

4 others with lateral flow tests at home all also positive, one other PCR test positive.

Only one who is double jabbed continues to return negative lateral flow tests, all others have single jabs, some of them feeling pretty shit.

Shows that going inside again is very different to the outside meetings, especially for those with single jabs.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Eight friends went to watch United in pub last Wednesday (two groups of four), first time all been out in over a year, I gave it a miss as in isolation waiting for wife to have operation.

Yesterday one of them get an alert on phone about being in contact with positive case, took lateral flow test, positive.

4 others with lateral flow tests at home all also positive, one other PCR test positive.

Only one who is double jabbed continues to return negative lateral flow tests, all others have single jabs, some of them feeling pretty shit.

Shows that going inside again is very different to the outside meetings, especially for those with single jabs.

But how long after their first jab? And which one? Its a minimum 3 weeks before it does anything and then depending on which one it can still be fairly low coverage for a number of weeks after that (as it builds).

Its an issue that drives me mad about government messaging, they really don't ram thus down people's throats enough.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    isam said:

Yes, agree completely.

Shame on youngvulgarian for being so sickeningly, boringly, predictably boilerplate lefty stereotype as to having to hate everything about someone she doesn’t like’s wedding.

Uurgh indeed 👏🏻
    I didn't think she was particularly lefty, but I yield to an expert in the field of pinko sniffing.
    I thought you might be concerned by a list blander than white sliced.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759

stodge said:

The woke will soon be trying to stop.people learning Latin because the Romans were such nasty chaps with all that slavery, buggery and all kinds of perverted non pc behaviour..

I see the wokies at Kings College London have been having a wokeathon over a picture of the Duke of Edinburgh.

It's a competition - how many times can you post ridiculous derivations of the W-word in a single contribution?

So, wokies, wokeathon, wokeish, wokery, wokeworthy, woke-infused, overwoked (and under pid presumably) to name but seven.
    Are those of us who refuse to go along with it the woke-shy?
    Talking about woke and unwoke, has everyone seen this?

https://www.museumsassociation.org/museums-journal/news/2021/05/resignation-of-national-trust-chair-not-linked-to-members-revolt/
  • Options
    ManchesterKurtManchesterKurt Posts: 895
    edited May 2021

But how long after their first jab? And which one? Its a minimum 3 weeks before it does anything and then depending on which one it can still be fairly low coverage for a number of weeks after that (as it builds).
    Varies, longest was several weeks, very close to second jabs, some couple of days after first jab.

All aged 42-46.

All AZ I think, including the one who has double jabs.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    What's to be done with those Chelsea supporters who vandalized Winnie's statue?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    @Richard_Tyndall Many thanks for a really interesting header. Will read the thread, I doubt if any comment I might make will have been missed by others.

Good afternoon, everybody.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

isam said:

Yes, agree completely.

Uurgh indeed 👏🏻
    I didn't think she was particularly lefty, but I yield to an expert in the field of pinko sniffing.
    You do realise that that's not the list of songs played, but rather a list of songs off of their demo video right (i.e. examples of genres they can play)?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited May 2021
    Interesting

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/31/france-italy-germany-brexit-deals-uk

I like the slant of the sub headline - “first sign U.K. is willing to forge bilateral relations...”.

Surely any barrier/lack of willingness to bilateral relations is more likely to emerge from the other side!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759

isam said:

Yes, agree completely.

Uurgh indeed 👏🏻
    I thought the issue was her taste in music? Unless fellow-travellers can be detected in that way, a sort of modern equivalent of stabbing someone with a needle till you find a mole without any sensory nerves, or taking a scunner to her pussybaudrons as devilishly feline.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good afternoon, Miss JGP.
  • Options

Move on, nothing to see 'ere
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337
    edited May 2021

Powered by diesel.

Addendum: King’s enthusiasm for all things diesel showing how people who purport themselves as experts and having superior knowledge can prove to be wholly wrong. Not that he’s ever acknowledged that in any material way because he is cleverer than you.
  • Options

I noticed there was significant boo-ing of taking of the knee at the final.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Ex player syndrome.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The thing with independent sage always calling for lockdown harder, is you can't lose...its like arguing speed limits should be reduced from 30 to 20 to 10 to 5....as a way of reducing road deaths.

Sure that's true, but you aren't the ones having to consider the other side of the equation.
  • Options
    I wonder if these chaps take The Telegraph?

https://twitter.com/ripricoli/status/1399221106448478219?s=20
  • Options

The thing with independent sage always calling for lockdown harder, is you can't lose...its like arguing speed limits should be reduced from 30 to 20 to 10 to 5....as a way of reducing road deaths.

Sure that's true, but you aren't the ones having to consider the other side of the equation.

Isn't there an argument for earlier and stronger lockdowns lead to fewer and shorter lockdowns?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Isn't there an argument for earlier and stronger lockdowns lead to fewer and shorter lockdowns?
    But their argument is always everything, its too risky...

The government have consistently waited 1-2 weeks too long and should have closed the borders, but for examole Independent SAGE argue schools reopening too risky, turns out not to be true, but they don't have to be accountable for that. Nor the impact on kids schooling, nor parents having to do home schooling.

As for shorter, there is a minimum regardless as it takes a fairly long time to break the inter household transmission. The nonsense you can just do 2 weeks just doesn't told true.

And if you argue for "zero covid" strategy, as we see in even Australia, you are going to be going back into lockdown on a fairly regular basis.
  • Options

The government have consistently waited 1-2 weeks too long and should have closed the borders, but for examole Independent SAGE argue schools reopening too risky, turns out not to be true, but they don't have to be accountable for that. Nor the impact on kids schooling, nor parents having to do home schooling.
    But we don't know that.

If the government had locked down earlier and stronger each time what makes you think that they would not have supported relaxing much earlier ?

Look at the current lockdown that started in January, maybe if independent SAGE was listened too they would have been supporting it ending weeks earlier as the data would have been far better.

These people have no desire to lock people up, they just look at the evidence that leaving things too long creates longer lock downs than doing them early.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

State of that carpet.....
  • Options
    edited May 2021

But we don't know that.

If the government had locked down earlier and stronger each time what makes you think that they would not have supported relaxing much earlier ?

Look at the current lockdown that started in January, maybe if independent SAGE was listened too they would have been supporting it ending weeks earlier as the data would have been far better.

These people have no desire to lock people up, they just look at the evidence that leaving things too long creates longer lock downs than doing them early.
    Because they want us to follow a zero covid strategy, which requires constant lockdowns. Its just the way covid works, and even when everybody is vaccinated.

Unless you are talking single digit cases, you need a month to make an impact. There is no easy solution.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Winnie Mandela still has statues?
  • Options

Wow. That looked close to a lethal "I can't breathe!" incident which might well have triggered an international #chavlivesmatter moment. Proper blokes all over the Western World showing solidarity by having one too many, finding a wall and 'taking a pee'.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,929
    edited May 2021
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

Yes, agree completely.

Uurgh indeed 👏🏻
    Tbf it's the mirror of you and "Sir Keir". Chances of you not hating any reported detail about him are virtually zero.
    Yes, a fair enough point to make. I don’t say exactly the same as this, but close enough to expect this retort from one someone eager to be seen scoring a point.

I don’t think I dig him out for his non political life though, meat eating vegetarianism aside maybe. I’ve always said he seems a decent enough bloke who I disagree with politically, and who lacks the charisma to defeat Boris electorally.
  • Options

isam said:

Yes, agree completely.

Uurgh indeed 👏🏻
    I think it’s pretty acceptable stuff for a wedding party, and a nice touch that they wander around. I wouldn’t have Elliott Smith or Nirvana at mine, you want a bit of fun
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Anyone advocing shutting the country down, should be asked how secure their own income would be in that situation.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    kinabalu said:

Wow. That looked close to a lethal "I can't breathe!" incident which might well have triggered an international #chavlivesmatter moment. Proper blokes all over the Western World showing solidarity by having one too many, finding a wall and 'taking a pee'.
    My favourite bit of the Scunthorpe video is about 40 seconds in. While there is mayhem in the foreground (though we do not know why) in the background there are a couple of tables not paying attention, and carrying on drinking as normal. Is it because this is a regular occurance? Or are they just demonstrating English reserve, not wanting to get involved in someone else's business?
  • Options
    I wonder if one day we might see a headline on the BBC:

'"Delay roadmap easing by a few weeks" - a leading scientist doesn't say'?

These days people don't even have to group together to draft a 30 person letter.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    isam said:

isam said:

Yes, agree completely.

Uurgh indeed 👏🏻
    I think it’s pretty acceptable stuff for a wedding party, and a nice touch that they wander around. I wouldn’t have Elliott Smith or Nirvana at mine, you want a bit of fun
    Someone was taking the piss by booking a violinist!
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    @HugoGye

Some people are in the pubs, they think #ZeroCovid is all over... it is now!

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1399353683058565121
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Sandpit said:

Anyone advocing shutting the country down, should be asked how secure their own income would be in that situation.
    Members of Independent SAGE have also consistently pushed the angle we can't do x, because the vaccines don't work / might not work / one very small and not very reputable study has shown that.

As I said down thread, its the speed limit argument, you are never wrong if you claim reducing the speed limit will save lives.
  • Options
    One annoying aspect, I went on the website to see if I could bring my second vaccination forward, and it told me I had to cancel my current appointment if I wanted to change...well I don't really want to risk that.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    isam said:

Yes, agree completely.

Uurgh indeed 👏🏻
    I think that what with ed Sheeran covers, and that fried egg hairband thingy, we can put our political differences aside and have a jolly good laugh, surely?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,196
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

Yes, agree completely.

Uurgh indeed 👏🏻
    Don't you mean Brittas? Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

As Foxy said earlier someone was taking the piss booking a violinist. I am just trying to work out who is trolling who?
  • Options

Of course, if 95% of posters on here hadn't spent the last year defending SAGE to the hilt from any criticism whatever, pouring scorn and spite on all manner people agitating for liberty, and repeating ad nauseam that vaccines automatically led to freedom, there would be no doubt now whatever.

21 June would be in the bag.

The fact is isn't is down to you guys. If you want someone to blame, look in the mirror.

You traded liberty for temporary 'safety'.

Now your liberty depends entirely on the whims of a philandering coward and a bunch of unaccountable academics whose 'science' is questionable at best and whose motives are suspect in certain cases.

Meanwhile. the horrendous queues for hospital treatment show that you are no more 'safe' than before the pandemic struck. Indeed you may well be less 'safe'

When will you learn that, in fact, liberty is the best form of 'safety'? .

In fact, liberty the only form of 'safety'.

95%? Not so sure about that.

But certainly pleasing to learn that PB.com is so influential.
  • Options

Of course, if 95% of posters on here hadn't spent the last year defending SAGE to the hilt from any criticism whatever, pouring scorn and spite on all manner people agitating for liberty, and repeating ad nauseam that vaccines automatically led to freedom, there would be no doubt now whatever.

The fact is isn't is down to you guys. If you want someone to blame, look in the mirror.

Now your liberty depends entirely on the whims of a philandering coward and a bunch of unaccountable academics whose 'science' is questionable at best and whose motives are suspect in certain cases.

Meanwhile. the horrendous queues for hospital treatment show that you are no more 'safe' than before the pandemic struck. Indeed you may well be less 'safe'

So were lockdowns 1 and 2 a good thing or a bad thing? Good is the answer, and you called them as bad, so your opinion is without value. You think your stand is principled libertarianism, but in fact you just don't like being inconvenienced by the facts of life.

Have you ever had cancer? I sincerely hope you haven't and never do, but if you do you will learn that cancer doesn't care. It doesn't care that a necessary operation clashes with your summer holiday plans, nor that your life expectancy now expires two years before the extended late life gap year you always promised yourself. Same with covid, and in neither case does raging against the authorities get you anywhere.

And before you play the Stockholm syndrome card, there is probably no such syndrome and if there is I do not suffer from it. Im just an adult.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Sandpit said:

Members of Independent SAGE have also consistently pushed the angle we can't do x, because the vaccines don't work / might not work / one very small and not very reputable study has shown that.

As I said down thread, its the speed limit argument, you are never wrong if you claim reducing the speed limit will save lives.
    If you apply the criteria and goals for the interventions to tackle COVID-19 that some are now demanding more widely, then surely they would advocate similar restrictions for influenza and maybe other diseases.

Already some are aiming to move the goalposts from stopping COVID-19 blowing up again, to taking pressure off the health service to clear the backlog, and God know's how long that will take.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616

One annoying aspect, I went on the website to see if I could bring my second vaccination forward, and it told me I had to cancel my current appointment if I wanted to change...well I don't really want to risk that.

I'm the same. I didn't want to risk ending up delaying the vaccination.

My second jab is now just 7 days away.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    IshmaelZ said:

So were lockdowns 1 and 2 a good thing or a bad thing? Good is the answer, and you called them as bad, so your opinion is without value. You think your stand is principled libertarianism, but in fact you just don't like being inconvenienced by the facts of life.

Have you ever had cancer? I sincerely hope you haven't and never do, but if you do you will learn that cancer doesn't care. It doesn't care that a necessary operation clashes with your summer holiday plans, nor that your life expectancy now expires two years before the extended late life gap year you always promised yourself. Same with covid, and in neither case does raging against the authorities get you anywhere.

And before you play the Stockholm syndrome card, there is probably no such syndrome and if there is I do not suffer from it. Im just an adult.

I just think my liberty is my birth right and I should not have had to give it up for anything.

Certainly not for a false notion of 'safety' that has merely led to a different kind of risk in terms of cancelled operations, missed GP appointments, soaring mental health challenges etc. etc. etc.

• Options
    glw said:

Sandpit said:

If you apply the criteria and goals for the interventions to tackle COVID-19 that some are now demanding more widely, then surely they would advocate similar restrictions for influenza and maybe other diseases.

Already some are aiming to move the goalposts from stopping COVID-19 blowing up again, to taking pressure off the health service to clear the backlog, and God know's how long that will take.
    Once you accept the government's rules are correct and sensible, you are obliged to accept the inexorable logic of them.

Eternal domination of life by cases of respiratory disease. Well, until civil disorder or economic meltdown intervene. Or both.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

IshmaelZ said:

I just think my liberty is my birth right and I should not have had to give it up for anything.

Certainly not for a false notion of 'safety' that has merely led to a different kind of risk in terms of cancelled operations, missed GP appointments, soaring mental health challenges etc. etc. etc.
    Lockdown was more about dignity than safety. We had the power as a society to protect many of the vulnerable, and we chose to do so. You might not agree with that choice, but in a free society, you can't impose your view on everyone else.
  • Options

glw said:

Sandpit said:

Once you accept the government's rules are correct and sensible, you are obliged to accept the inexorable logic of them.

Eternal domination of life by cases of respiratory disease. Well, until civil disorder or economic meltdown intervene. Or both.

So should we have had lockdowns 1 and 2 or not?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Lockdown was more about dignity than safety. We had the power as a society to protect many of the vulnerable, and we chose to do so. You might not agree with that choice, but in a free society, you can't impose your view on everyone else.
    'Dignity'

I have heard it all now.

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

glw said:

Sandpit said:

1 maybe. Two...?? It was a good-awful winter. But I reckon what happened would have happened anyway, lockdown or no lockdown.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited May 2021
    We had to have lockdown because the virus was out of control, tens of thousands were going to die and the NHS would have collapsed.

Now, thanks the vaccines miracle the vast majority of the country will be vaccinated from his horrible virus so it's time to lift restrictions (which were only ever a temporary solution to give us time until the vaccines came on stream) and get back to normal.

A small minority of foollish anti-vaxers should be not be able to hold the country to ransom and keep us locked down beyond 21st June.

I'm confident Boris will see 21st June delivered.
  • Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Yes, agree completely.

Uurgh indeed 👏🏻
    Yes, a fair enough point to make. I don’t say exactly the same as this, but close enough to expect this retort from one someone eager to be seen scoring a point.

I don’t think I dig him out for his non political life though, meat eating vegetarianism aside maybe. I’ve always said he seems a decent enough bloke who I disagree with politically, and who lacks the charisma to defeat Boris electorally.
    What would you do if you find out he likes The Jam? That's the real test.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

glw said:

Sandpit said:

1 maybe. Two...?? It was a good-awful winter. But I reckon what happened would have happened anyway, lockdown or no lockdown.
    That's not a serious position. You can argue that we should have accepted higher levels of infection and a higher death toll (like Russia, for example), but to ignore that this was the choice is to duck the moral argument.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

IshmaelZ said:

'Dignity'

I have heard it all now.

Well, you may have heard it, but nobody will accuse you of displaying it.

As for the rest of your rantings, they will be taken seriously when you get yourself jabbed. The more people refuse the vaccine, the more likely we will be kept in perpetual lockdown, or semi-lockdown.

You're the one who needs the mirror.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Nothing fucks up other people's liberty to the same extent as being dead does. So there's liberty on both sides of the equation.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

IshmaelZ said:

glw said:

Sandpit said:

That's not a serious position. You can argue that we should have accepted higher levels of infection and a higher death toll (like Russia, for example), but to ignore that this was the choice is to duck the moral argument.
    FFS William Florida and South Dakota show its the only serious position.

But hey.

Keep attacking me. Keep praising Johnson. Keep defending SAGE. Keep getting vaccinated, tracked, traced and tested. Keep criticising those who are fighting for your freedoms and voting for and funding those who want rule by respiratory disease/

The fact is that what you have now is all you will ever get. Ever.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Yes, agree completely.

Uurgh indeed 👏🏻

I know he supports Arsenal, and that makes no difference! If he liked The Jam that wouldn’t make any either. I probably disagree with Paul Weller politically now and he wrote the songs
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

We had to have lockdown because the virus was out of control, tens of thousands were going to die and the NHS would have collapsed.

Now, thanks the vaccines miracle the vast majority of the country will be vaccinated from his horrible virus so it's time to lift restrictions (which were only ever a temporary solution to give us time until the vaccines came on stream) and get back to normal.

A small minority of foollish anti-vaxers should be not be able to hold the country to ransom and keep us locked down beyond 21st June.

He didn't change his mind on reopening schools when the situation was much more serious and the risks involved much greater. That was another one he had foolishly repeatedly promised int he media as well.

Ultimately, he does work on dates, not data. If he were working on data, he'd be relaxing restrictions faster not slower, whatever Indie Sage may think (or not think, as the case may be).

I don't see him changing his mind.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

'Dignity'

I have heard it all now.

As for the rest of your rantings, they will be taken seriously when you get yourself jabbed. The more people refuse the vaccine, the more likely we will be kept in perpetual lockdown, or semi-lockdown.

Really? some American states have lower vaccination levels than we do, and they have been entirely free for months. Mask mandates are being junked in more and more places.

How can this be possible? if our government and our medics are right, how can these conditions exist? They should be completely impossible.

They aren't. Which only goes to show the government's attempt to turn us against each other is the worst kind of politics. It is garbage that your freedom is dependent upon my vaccination. It isn't in some other places.

• Options
    edited May 2021

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

'Dignity'

I have heard it all now.

Really? some American states have lower vaccination levels than we do, and they have been entirely free for months. Mask mandates are being junked in more and more places.

How can this be possible? if our government and our medics are right, how can these conditions exist? They should be completely impossible.

They aren't. Which only goes to show the government's attempt to turn us against each other is the worst kind of politics.

Or alternatively, you are either (a) being deceived or (b) wilfully lying about what's happening.

Either seems possible given on your own admission you're a fluent liar and your posts do not suggest great intellectual capacity.

I would be interested to see some of your source material, if you ever get round to posting it.

Edit - masks are of use in some settings, not others. Moreover, they're generally not being used correctly. So I'm not sure that's an important point either way, or at least, not as important as you think it is.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

'Dignity'

I have heard it all now.

They aren't. Which only goes to show the government's attempt to turn us against each other is the worst kind of politics. It is garbage that your freedom is dependent upon my vaccination. It isn't in some other places.

Emigrate.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

You want to get your liberty back. As the Beatles (almost) said... GET VAX...

How has Paul McCartney missed this opportunity for a charity single? :)
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Shhh! Don't give him ideas...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    I left school at the age of 16, at the end of year 5 in Scotland, and started University a week after my 17th birthday. I was bored of school by then and when I went to University they gave me a grant (those were the days) and a student Union card which allowed me to buy drink in most establishments (ditto).

I was, with hindsight, probably too young and too immature to make the best use of my first year but I was seriously bored of school and really wanted to do something else.

I don't think that I was that atypical. Many people, including those even less academically inclined than me, do not enjoy school and show precious little commitment to it. At the moment most of these end up doing some largely pointless college course which often reduces their employability given the very poor habits that college inculcates (poor attendance, no reward for effort (since everyone passes) and far too much downtime). I seriously question whether such people would benefit at all from 2 more years of compulsory schooling.

I am rather more taken with the argument that we start formal learning a bit soon but even if we accept that argument has merit I do not think that we should be adding years to the other end.

Good thread header though, thanks Richard.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Get VAX Loretta
    Go Home
    Your mothers waiting for you
    Wearing her high-heel shoes
    And her low-neck sweater
    Get the VAX Lorreta
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    Yesterday, Israel has just five new covid cases.

I felt it was important to share that statistic, because (a) they are only a little more vaccinated than we are, and (b) are now when welcoming tourists (assuming they are double vaccinated).
  • Options
    On 31 May, 3,383 new cases and 1 death within 28 days of a positive test were reported across the UK.
  • Options
    For those putting forward Florida as an oasis of libertarianism, it is worth remembering that the State mostly delegated Covid restrictions to cities and counties. As a consequence, most make urban areas actually had fairly strict Covid restrictions.

Of course, the more spread out your population centers, the easier it is to have a strategy like this.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

I don't see him changing his mind.
    Is that because it happens so quickly?
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337
    rcs1000 said:

I felt it was important to share that statistic, because (a) they are only a little more vaccinated than we are, and (b) are now when welcoming tourists (assuming they are double vaccinated).

Is the Israeli public keen on a range of continuing restrictions?

Does the Israeli media go out of its way to have the local equivalent of Fake SAGE on permanent repeat?

Do scientists advising the Israeli government continually give their own opinions (differing from consensus guidance) “on a personal basis”?

Are behaviours with respect to COVID really quite so politicised? “We must do this to own Netanyahu”?

• Options

On 31 May, 3,383 new cases and 1 death within 28 days of a positive test were reported across the UK.

Are you sure that only one person who's received a positive covid diagnosis in the last 28 days died?

That's around 100,000 people (or even a little more). That's like the population of Bedford and the surrounding villages. To have a day when nobody died in Bedford, would be quite extraordinary.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited May 2021

We need hospitalisation numbers, vaccine status of patients, deaths and vaccinated numbers daily

I wonder why they are not being provided

Nothing else matters
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Are you sure that only one person who's received a positive covid diagnosis in the last 28 days died?

That's around 100,000 people (or even a little more). That's like the population of Bedford and the surrounding villages. To have a day when nobody died in Bedford, would be quite extraordinary.
    I was just quoting the official tweet.

That's not what it means. Its 1 death recorded today, of somebody who a positive covid diagnosis in the last 28 days.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,353
    Carnyx said:

stodge said:

The woke will soon be trying to stop.people learning Latin because the Romans were such nasty chaps with all that slavery, buggery and all kinds of perverted non pc behaviour..

I see the wokies at Kings College London have been having a wokeathon over a picture of the Duke of Edinburgh.

It's a competition - how many times can you post ridiculous derivations of the W-word in a single contribution?

So, wokies, wokeathon, wokeish, wokery, wokeworthy, woke-infused, overwoked (and under pid presumably) to name but seven.
    Are those of us who refuse to go along with it the woke-shy?
    Talking about woke and unwoke, has everyone seen this?

https://www.museumsassociation.org/museums-journal/news/2021/05/resignation-of-national-trust-chair-not-linked-to-members-revolt/
    Of course it was....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It was in Scotland
  • Options
    edited May 2021

We need hospitalisation numbers, vaccine status of patients, deaths and vaccinated numbers daily

Nothing else matters
    Does seem a bit strange that hospitalisation numbers don’t appear to have been updated for a week. I know that’s often the case locally, but I thought the national numbers were normally more regular (even if necessarily incomplete)?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Get VAX Loretta
    Go Home
    Your mothers waiting for you
    Wearing her high-heel shoes
    And her low-neck sweater
    Get the VAX Lorreta
    BoJo was a man who thought he was a goner
    Thought that he'd had his last gasp
    BoJo got us jabs from Oxford and Moderna
    So our antibodies last
    Get VAX, get VAX!
    LOL! :Well done :D
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

Nothing else matters
    Hospitalisation figures never come out at weekends and this is a long weekend
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited May 2021
    alex_ said:

Nothing else matters
    Does seem a bit strange that hospitalisation numbers don’t appear to have been updated for a week. I know that’s often the case locally, but I thought the national numbers were normally more regular (even if necessarily incomplete)?
    Richard Horton of the Lancet said this morning that on the 12th January 4,500 plus were in hospital and on the 25th May just 133

This is why we need these numbers, together with the vaccination status of those in hospital
  • Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Yes, agree completely.

Uurgh indeed 👏🏻

I know he supports Arsenal, and that makes no difference! If he liked The Jam that wouldn’t make any either. I probably disagree with Paul Weller politically now and he wrote the songs
    Well this is the point. If it turned out "Boris" or Farage supported Arsenal - or even your 2nd team, West Ham - you'd take this as a plus for them. Perhaps even blog approvingly about it. But Starmer gets no credit for it. What you don't like about him, you don't like. And what you do like about him, you stay silent on and pretend it isn't there. He can't win. And by that I don't mean the next election, I mean with you.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Nothing else matters
    Richard Horton of the Lancet said this morning that on the 12th January 4,500 plus were in hospital and on the 25th May just 133

This is why we need these numbers, together with the vaccination status of those in hospital
    133 admitted. 870 in total. The number admitted in the seven days to 25th May exactly equals the number currently confined. Of course there won’t be complete overlap, but it does suggest pretty high turnover which might indicates lots of people with a positive test and mild symptoms presenting as a “precaution” and being discharged in a few days.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215
    Brilliant viral video of an "alien" or a "ghost" crossing a bridge in India

"A human like 'bizarre creature' spotted in Jharkhand's #Hazaribagh during crossing a bridge, a day earlier.
    Was it #Ghost, #Alien or anything else?
    #AlienInHazaribagh
    #alien2021
    Extraterrestrial alienAlien monster #Jharkhand #Ghostinjharkhand #hamidmir"

https://twitter.com/Rahemat_99/status/1399361545000263683?s=20

Apparently the bikers hang back because they're scared. Can't blame them. My guess is this is a morbidly emaciated person close to death- or the whole thing is fake? - but it's superbly spooky
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    Reporting from the vaccine rollout at Twickenham stadium and the NHS has just confirmed that anyone over 18 can turn up and get a jab as they want to avoid any wastage. Closes at 8pm tonight. https://twitter.com/AnnaCollinson/status/1399370460924723209/video/1
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Does the Israeli media go out of its way to have the local equivalent of Fake SAGE on permanent repeat?

Do scientists advising the Israeli government continually give their own opinions (differing from consensus guidance) “on a personal basis”?

Are behaviours with respect to COVID really quite so politicised? “We must do this to own Netanyahu”?
    It’s interesting to note that Israel has done very few vaccinations since about the middle of April. They’re stuck at about 80% of the adult population. Overtaken now by UAE overall, where it’s becoming increasingly difficult to live and work without being jabbed.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

It’s interesting to note that Israel has done very few vaccinations since about the middle of April. They’re stuck at about 80% of the adult population. Overtaken now by UAE overall, where it’s becoming increasingly difficult to live and work without being jabbed.

I presume bulk of those are Haredi Jews refusing to take it? They make up about 15% of the population.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Aren’t UAE having to do everyone again because they based their programme on the Chinese jab with very low efficacy?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

I presume bulk of those are Haredi Jews refusing to take it? They make up about 15% of the population.
    That’s my understanding, yes. Orthodox Jews quite anti-vax.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    alex_ said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Aren’t UAE having to do everyone again because they based their programme on the Chinese jab with very low efficacy?
    Chile and Uruguay cases are rising again sharply.....using the Chinese vaccine...they are surely having to go round again.

The first mini wave 6 weeks ago was put down to youngsters / people not waiting long enough, now another wave....
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    alex_ said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

There’s split here between Sinopharm and Pfizer vaccines. There’s going to be an Autumn booster for some of the Sinopharm recipients, six months after their initial jabs. They’re advising people to get antibody tests after six months, and to take a third vaccine based on the result, they reckon only 10% or so will need it.

It’s also worth noting that Sinopharm is now WHO approved - Sinovac is the really dud Chinese one, as Chile are finding out.
  • Options
    Interesting counter-conspiratorial arguments to the lab leak theory.

https://twitter.com/PAstynome/status/1399151529098158082

If it was a lab leak, why did the Chinese do such a useless job of combatting it?

• Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684
    DavidL said:

I left school at the age of 16, at the end of year 5 in Scotland, and started University a week after my 17th birthday. I was bored of school by then and when I went to University they gave me a grant (those were the days) and a student Union card which allowed me to buy drink in most establishments (ditto).

I was, with hindsight, probably too young and too immature to make the best use of my first year but I was seriously bored of school and really wanted to do something else.

I don't think that I was that atypical. Many people, including those even less academically inclined than me, do not enjoy school and show precious little commitment to it. At the moment most of these end up doing some largely pointless college course which often reduces their employability given the very poor habits that college inculcates (poor attendance, no reward for effort (since everyone passes) and far too much downtime). I seriously question whether such people would benefit at all from 2 more years of compulsory schooling.

I am rather more taken with the argument that we start formal learning a bit soon but even if we accept that argument has merit I do not think that we should be adding years to the other end.

Good thread header though, thanks Richard.

But what is Scottish education like, Mr L. I suspect it is similar to the French and the American style - very mechanical, lots of rote learning and not much imagination and creativity - in fact very similar to what Gove and his evil genius did their best to impose on England.

If that is the case, I am not surprised that pupils there get bored very quickly.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Probably a smaller proportion, quite soon

It's going to be an interesting test for the anti-vaxxers, when it becomes clear that non-vaccinated people are getting sick and dying in large numbers around the world, and the vaccinated are generally OK
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Nothing else matters

133 admitted. 870 in total. The number admitted in the seven days to 25th May exactly equals the number currently confined. Of course there won’t be complete overlap, but it does suggest pretty high turnover which might indicates lots of people with a positive test and mild symptoms presenting as a “precaution” and being discharged in a few days.
    Is it known how many people in the UK (if any) have contracted Covid and died of it despite having been double vaccinated?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Nothing else matters

Is it known how many people in the UK (if any) have contracted Covid and died of it despite having been double vaccinated?
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/28/two-people-have-died-indian-variant-full-vaccination/
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Redfield & Wilton Strategies
    @RedfieldWilton
    ·
    1m
    Westminster Voting Intention (31 May):

Conservative 45% (+2)
    Labour 34% (+1)
    Liberal Democrat 8% (-2)
    Scottish National Party 4% (–)
    Green 5% (–)