Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The voting ends on Super Thursday but – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    It isn't a proper polling day if there isn't at least one story of people turning up really late in the day and having to queue...

BBC News - Welsh election 2021: Queues as polls close for Welsh Parliament vote
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-56766948
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Same price as Leave at 22.30 on the 23rd of June 2016.

About the time Farage conceded.
    Happy memories. I don’t mean the result - I mean that amazing spreadsheet on here that made us all a killing.
    Confession: I fell asleep at about 11pm in a drunken stupor on Brexit Vote night, with the result in the balance but Remain still definitely expected to win.... I woke at 4am to find about 30,000 messages on my phone, emails, etc, with friends shrieking WAKE UP WAKE UP Leave has won!

An extraordinary moment
    "I fell asleep at about 11pm in a drunken stupor on Brexit Vote night"

Special occasion? Or normal routine?

On Election night 2001, fell asleep in my (grossly overpriced) Windsor B&B, mid broadcast. Not from drunkeness, but from tiredness. AND extreme boredom.
    Well, it was a tremendously boring election. As was 2005

I miss massively boring elections
    Come off it, you live for the drama.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Is there a good website that updates results in real time?

You're just Mr Party Time aren't you.
    It is faintly tragic. But I have adjusted to my new persona. it's important to accept yourself
    I am a work in progress.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Watching Question Time because its got Bercow on it. Wowsers he's gone off the deep end.

Bercow is making Anna Soubry, Dominic Grieve and Keir Starmer look like Brexiteers.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

Perhaps I missed it, but any exit polling released from anywhere?

Nope. And not many results till the early hours - but should be just early evening where you are!
    Are you at (or going to be at) your local count, Nick?

Hopefully NOT pestering the Tory women for a wee smooch? Best to let them come to you!
    Yes, I will. Not staying up for Masopool, as I need to be there by 10 or so. And socially distanced smooching would be challenging. Hell, a supporter shook my hand when I was telling earlier - the first time anyone has done that for 18 months. I hesitated fractionally before taking it, but with luck he didn't notice.
    Out of interest Nick did you hesitate on account of the rules or your health?

Watching Question Time because its got Bercow on it. Wowsers he's gone off the deep end.

Bercow is making Anna Soubry, Dominic Grieve and Keir Starmer look like Brexiteers.

What in gods name made you do that....do you like punishing yourself.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,243

Cbronicle live - Returning officer in Sunderland threatens to send people home
    Sunderland returning officer Pat Melia has just promised to send home anyone who isn't following social distancing rules tonight. "We've done this for a year - please do it properly tonight"

Plus - First results from Blyth could be soon

Maybe people realising social distancing is not needed?
    Rules are rules, most especially in election counting centers. I've been there - have you?

If you don't like it, leave. Same rule for all.
    yes nights like this made for self important bossy types
    Last year right after our general election, bunch of Republican activists requested a partial recount in a few races. And objected to requirement that observers at King County Elections (like everyone else in the building) wear a mask.

This was before anyone had been vaccinated.

Our (elected) Elections Director, who is VERY well-liked by local Republican Party leadership (such as it is) told them, politely but pointedly, that she was NOT going to risk the health of her employees to cater to them. No way.

So the put on their masks. Rule is rule. Whether officious or not.

But then maybe you'd prefer a putsch like the one Trumpsky & Co tried to pull off???
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,304

Leon said:

Leon said:

Happy memories. I don’t mean the result - I mean that amazing spreadsheet on here that made us all a killing.
    Confession: I fell asleep at about 11pm in a drunken stupor on Brexit Vote night, with the result in the balance but Remain still definitely expected to win.... I woke at 4am to find about 30,000 messages on my phone, emails, etc, with friends shrieking WAKE UP WAKE UP Leave has won!

An extraordinary moment

On Election night 2001, fell asleep in my (grossly overpriced) Windsor B&B, mid broadcast. Not from drunkeness, but from tiredness. AND extreme boredom.

I haven't "enjoyed" the drama of the last 18 months, TBH

In an ideal world we'd have incredibly exciting elections and referendums yet somehow combine these with the calm and growing UK (and wider world) of the mid 90s, or mid Noughties

Sadly, I think a calm world is too much to ask. I expect more theatre as we hurtle into an evermore hi-tech future, with China brutally supplanting America, and America fighting back

What in gods name made you do that....do you like punishing yourself.
    Its like going past a car crash - you know you shouldn't but you can't help yourself from looking.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

An extraordinary moment

In an ideal world we'd have incredibly exciting elections and referendums yet somehow combine these with the calm and growing UK (and wider world) of the mid 90s, or mid Noughties

Sadly, I think a calm world is too much to ask. I expect more theatre as we hurtle into an evermore hi-tech future, with China brutally supplanting America, and America fighting back
    Large part of Biden's success is because of longing for normalcy & semblance of serenity.

Current administration is like watching "Bambi" after four years of "1984"
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    God, this is exciting. Sunderland will be first I assume.

LOL. Forgotten people from a forgotten past. I do enjoy seeing Bercow in all his spluttering drool flecked fury.

And he still isn't in the Lords. :)
    Indeed. He's really livid and not even attempting to maintain a pretence of "neutrality" anymore. Quite amusing.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited May 2021
    NYC wants to offer tourists to the city the J&J single-dose vaccine. Proposing mobile vaccination centers at tourist attractions like Times Square.

(At last, an actual reason to go to Times Square…)
    Chronicle live - Last ballot box for Newcastle delayed by roadworks
    The last ballot box is now in as it was apparently delayed by roadworks.

First results are expected in next 20/30 mins.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

An extraordinary moment

Large part of Biden's success is because of longing for normalcy & semblance of serenity.

Just be careful, we've done the Bambi experience here.

It ends up invading Iraq.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

An extraordinary moment

Biden has, for me, been a pleasant surprise. You were right. He is a bit doddery but he is a vast relief after Trump

I worry about Wokeness but then I'd worry about that, anyhow, Biden or no Biden
    Leon said:

An extraordinary moment
    Funny, I thought you were on PB throughout the night. Must have misremembered.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,755
    edited May 2021

kle4 said:

@BritainElects

ICYMI: our final Scottish parliament forecast - as polls close:

SNP: 62 MSPs (-1)
    CON: 27 (-4)
    LAB: 24 (-)
    GRN: 11 (+5)
    LDEM: 5 (-)

Chgs. w/ 2016
    65 seats needed for a majority

Best that could be hoped for I suppose. I'd take it.
    The Scottish Parliament vote for another referendum comes about five minutes after that result. That's when the fun and games really gets started, of course. What happens when Johnson tells them, ever so politely, to fuck off?

One thing's certain: this won't be resolved through the courts. The constitution is a reserved competence. The courts can't force the House of Commons to vote to grant a Section 30 order because the Scottish Parliament wants one, any more than they could force it to vote to abolish the monarchy or declare war on Botswana because that's what MSPs wanted.

If Scotland's independence movement can't persuade the UK Parliament to change tack then they have only two options: to put up with it and wait for a more conciliatory Parliament to be elected, or attempt a revolution.
    In the absence of any Alba MSPs, any referendum bill will be postponed until

a) Recovery from the pandemic is fairly evident;

b) A Citizens’ Assembly has deliberated and reported on the future direction/ societal aims and ambitions of an independent Scotland and a successor to the ‘Scotland’s Future’ white paper is drawn up to reflect this (from the SNP manifesto).
    Tories are 30/1 to win most seats in Wales. Value?

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.181129913
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

Leon said:

Leon said:

An extraordinary moment

Sure, like many of us. I also like eating pringles but if I eat an entire tube day in day out it is not very good for me.
    sarissa said:

kle4 said:

@BritainElects

Chgs. w/ 2016

The Scottish Parliament vote for another referendum comes about five minutes after that result. That's when the fun and games really gets started, of course. What happens when Johnson tells them, ever so politely, to fuck off?

One thing's certain: this won't be resolved through the courts. The constitution is a reserved competence. The courts can't force the House of Commons to vote to grant a Section 30 order because the Scottish Parliament wants one, any more than they could force it to vote to abolish the monarchy or declare war on Botswana because that's what MSPs wanted.

If Scotland's independence movement can't persuade the UK Parliament to change tack then they have only two options: to put up with it and wait for a more conciliatory Parliament to be elected, or attempt a revolution.

b) A Citizens’ Assembly has deliberated and reported on the future direction/ societal aims and ambitions of an independent Scotland and a successor to the ‘Scotland’s Future’ white paper is drawn up to reflect this (from the SNP manifesto).
    Why wasn't (B) done already prior to the election?

A bit like space launches, the reality is that electorally there's a very narrow window where its possible to have a referendum. Leave it too long and its getting too close to the General Election to be viable. After the General Election, its then too close to the next Holyrood election to be viable too.

Stall too long and its not not possible. 2022 to first half of 2023 is the only realistic window of opportunity - after that the next window of opportunity is about 2027 or 2028.
    Newsnight:

"SNP concentrating on recovery from coronavirus"

They are going to use the pandemic as an excuse to delay indefinitely
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704
    Leon said:

Newsnight:

Well I’m stunned.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776

Bercow bet the ranch on being a right wing Brexiteer before it became popular, Then he bet the ranch on being a left wing europhile just before it became unpopular.
    Bercow: "Brexit is the most colossal blunder in the postwar period"

But he never backed the "bollocks to Brexit" sticker on his car, that was his wife's alone, and he was entirely neutral at all times. 😂
    Leon said:

Newsnight:

When you know you've got the votes, vote.

When you don't, delay. Politics 101
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697

Must admit I have kind of missed the little goblin but ye gods how did this weirdo ever become Speaker for a decade?

Leon said:

Newsnight:

They would argue the same thing applies to their opponents, no doubt.
    Well, I'll be doing my civic duty for a bit, so happy election results over the next few days.

sarissa said:

kle4 said:

@BritainElects

Chgs. w/ 2016

A bit like space launches, the reality is that electorally there's a very narrow window where its possible to have a referendum. Leave it too long and its getting too close to the General Election to be viable. After the General Election, its then too close to the next Holyrood election to be viable too.

Stall too long and its not not possible. 2022 to first half of 2023 is the only realistic window of opportunity - after that the next window of opportunity is about 2027 or 2028.
    The SNP don't want a vote. The last poll had No leading 50 to 42

No way they will call a suicidal plebiscite: which, when it turns out NO, destroys the cause and destroys the party, probably forever

The next indyref will be in the late 2020s, at the earliest. You can put away your saltires, for now
  • Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited May 2021

Leon said:

Newsnight:

Salmond will be interesting if they do that....
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780
    edited May 2021
    GIN1138 said:

Must admit I have kind of missed the little goblin but ye gods how did this weirdo ever become Speaker for a decade?
    I can honestly say that I have not missed him at all. Or any of the other prats that made 2017-2019 a living nightmare and were then kicked out for not doing what they were told.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776
    GIN1138 said:

The Gollum of British politics. Small, stinking, gnome-like, yet strong, possessing a demonic inner drive. He is despised by all, because he has betrayed all.
    kle4 said:

Well, I'll be doing my civic duty for a bit, so happy election results over the next few days.

Are we still invading France? I thought that had been stood down.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,842

From Gosforth. I was there watching that very tailback earler this evening.
    Came home by train.
    edited May 2021
    DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

I can honestly say that I have not missed them at all. Or any of the other prats that made 2017-2019 a living nightmare and were then kicked out for not doing what they were told.
    Don't you ever get the desire to relive the drama though? It was an extraordinary period of history. Like I'm glad it's over, Boris got his landslide, we got Brexit done and moved on... but there's a part of me that wouldn't mind seeing Barry Sheerman in full demented rage screaming at Geoffrey Cox again.... :D
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,100

FPT - Aberjeffrey said: "I’ve been reading this site from afar for years, but this is my first post. Hello all! I’ll try to remain courteous"

Greeting, Aberjeffrey.

+1
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,981
    Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

The Gollum of British politics. Small, stinking, gnome-like, yet strong, possessing a demonic inner drive. He is despised by all, because he has betrayed all.
    If you ever meet him ask him about his Monday Club days, he really hates that being brought up.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    edited May 2021
    dixiedean said:

Came home by train.
    They should have transported it with one of those stupid electric scooters.
  • AberjeffreyAberjeffrey Posts: 20

It’s broad daylight in one of those pics 😉 and you had 15 hours to get out there. 15!
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,778

Bercow: "Brexit is the most colossal blunder in the postwar period"

But he never backed the "bollocks to Brexit" sticker on his car, that was his wife's alone, and he was entirely neutral at all times. 😂

If only we'd joined the EU vaccine purchase scheme, eh John?
    GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

I can honestly say that I have not missed them at all. Or any of the other prats that made 2017-2019 a living nightmare and were then kicked out for not doing what they were told.
    Don't you ever get the desire to relive the drama though? It was an extraordinary period of history. Like I'm glad it's over, Boris got his landslide, we got Brexit done and moved on... bit there's a part of me that wouldn't mind seeing Barry Sheerman in full demented rage screaming at Geoffrey Cox again.... :D
    No it was awful. It is a cliche but in my adult life I have never felt anything like such a divide between those that purport to govern us and the general populace. And I was not alone as the subsequent votes showed all too clearly. Why the BBC think we have to listen to them now is simply beyond me.
    Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Also, a short man cuckolded. Not a good mix

dixiedean said:

Came home by train.
    Indeed. When did they start? Weren't there before Xmas. Ubiquitous now.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

It’s broad daylight in one of those pics 😉 and you had 15 hours to get out there. 15!

Welcome
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Came home by train.
    Last few months. Seen a few around Newcastle on Saturday.

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

If you ever meet him ask him about his Monday Club days, he really hates that being brought up.
    Is there any particular reason you've got Bruce Forsyth as your icon?
    DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

Don't you ever get the desire to relive the drama though? It was an extraordinary period of history. Like I'm glad it's over, Boris got his landslide, we got Brexit done and moved on... bit there's a part of me that wouldn't mind seeing Barry Sheerman in full demented rage screaming at Geoffrey Cox again.... :D
    No it was awful. It is a cliche but in my adult life I have never felt anything like such a divide between those that purport to govern us and the general populace. And I was not alone as the subsequent votes showed all too clearly. Why the BBC think we have to listen to them now is simply beyond me.
    Yeah you're right. That 2017-2019 parliament drove everyone crazy.
    Taz said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Came home by train.
    Their fetching orange of a 70's interiors magazine makes them impossible to avoid.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,755

sarissa said:

kle4 said:

@BritainElects

Chgs. w/ 2016

B was partly addressed in a their first report recently, but only from a perspective of a devolved administration.
    dixiedean said:

Taz said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Came home by train.
    Their fetching orange of a 70's interiors magazine makes them impossible to avoid.
    Even when at the bottom of a very Murky Tyne.
    TudorRose said:

GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

It's nice to see him?
    I was going to make that joke, but I saw you’d already got there, and you get nothing for a pair...
    edited May 2021
    sarissa said:

sarissa said:

kle4 said:

@BritainElects

Chgs. w/ 2016

B was partly addressed in a their first report recently, but only from a perspective of a devolved administration.
    The SNP are only ever going to control a devolved administration, prior to a referendum - are you expecting them to get control of Westminster.

Do you accept the fact that there's a clock here? Realistically if there's no referendum by May 2023 then people will be turning to the next General Election already.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

LOL. Forgotten people from a forgotten past. I do enjoy seeing Bercow in all his spluttering drool flecked fury.

Indeed. He's really livid and not even attempting to maintain a pretence of "neutrality" anymore. Quite amusing.
    Well, he doesn't have to be neutral any more, does he? Unencumbered by office, he can say what he wants.

And if this is what he wants to say (and presumably always wanted to say), that sort of implies that actually he was making a decent attempt at neutrality before, doesn't it?
    Bloody hell! That's my MP that is. He does exist then.
    At risk of attracting a rain of rotten tomatoes on my fool head, but can yours truly put in a small (appropriately?) small word for John Bercow.

Whom I actually encountered in the flesh, in the corridors of the Palace of Westminster back in 2001, in the company of Steven Pound then-MP. (Allow me a we bit of name dropping.)

Was strolling along with SP when we came upon JB. Who said hello and asked if I was one of Steve's constituents? No, a visitor from the States. Ah, he replied, you should have him (SP) take you (me) to dinner in the dining room (or whatever).

Didn't get dinner, but did get a cup of tea. And did get to see the view from the roof of the Palace (near the Speakers Apartment; an omen?) because Steve wanted to cage a cigarette.

BTW, my acquaintance with Steve Pound began when he defended the idiot woman (a friend of his) who memorably emailed that 911 was a good opportunity to bury some bad news for New Labour. Which inspired me to email him and take a goodly strip of bark off his hide.

Steve's response caused me to forgive his faux pas. We emailed a bit, and when I came to UK in late winter of 2003, just before the Invasion of Iraq (taking advantage VERY cheap air fare plus delay in actual war waiting for UN vote) I looked him up.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    dixiedean said:

Taz said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Came home by train.
    When I arrived in Yemen on my first posting in the early 80s, the apartment had been decorated by the PSA (now defunct Property Services Agency) in psychedelic orange, lemon yellow, brown, lime green and black bubble wallpaper. So 70s.
    Australia's international borders may not fully reopen until the middle or second half of 2022, trade minister says - Reuters
    GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

It isn't Bruce Forsyth.

It is the Lion of Verdun.

GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

It isn't Bruce Forsyth.

General Putin?
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,944
    Hartlepool -- Conservatives are drifting slightly: now 1.05 vs 17 Labour.

This might be profit-taking before punters turn in for the night.
    TimT said:

GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

It isn't Bruce Forsyth.

General Putin?
    Maréchal Pétain.
  • TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Endillion said:

Well, he doesn't have to be neutral any more, does he? Unencumbered by office, he can say what he wants.

And if this is what he wants to say (and presumably always wanted to say), that sort of implies that actually he was making a decent attempt at neutrality before, doesn't it?
    Not really, because we all knew that was what he wanted to say.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1390433701754966023

Talks of increase turnout in Scotland, good for the Nats I think.
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Northumberland
    Cowpen ward

Margaret Catherine RICHARDSON (Lab) 398 votes
    Adam Christopher PARSONS (Con) 378
    Barry William ELLIOTT (Ind) 70

Labour hold

2017 result
    Susan Davey Lab 414 53.8%
    Brian Erskine UKIP 180 23.4%
    Samantha Liddle C 134 17.4%
    Alisdair Gibbs-Barton LD 42 5.5%
    TudorRose said:

Endillion said:

Not really, because we all knew that was what he wanted to say.
    Sure we did. But he didn't say it.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,590
    Jonathan said:

No dirt, but some comments as a Labour member.

The Labour Party appears to be irrevocably, terminally split.
    Starmer is actually doing a good job holding things together, things are far worse than they appear.
    Keeping the lights on is taking all Starmers energy.

I believe Starmer made a political mistake personally getting involved with the corruption story. He should have delegated the attack and risen above it. Party splits make that tricky.

The story was toxic for Labour as it was an old fashioned Westminster centric story and the electorate are not best pleased with Westminster post Brexit. He tarnished himself.

This one was always going to be hard due to vaccines. Starmer might have found a cause outside of Westminster, looking ahead and made it the centre. The end of furlough, NHS 1% pay rise or tax rises. Anything that came from the insights into the electorate.

I fear Starmer may not yet be a political animal with antennae tuned to the electorate. He is set up right now as a perfect reforming Labour Home Secretary, but not yet the street fighter leader Labour needs to claw back.

The coming storm will test him and see if he can make the leap.

O Rose thou art sick.
    The invisible worm,
    That flies in the night
    In the howling storm:

Has found out thy bed
    Of crimson joy:
    And his dark secret love
    Does thy life destroy.

GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

It isn't Bruce Forsyth.

Ahhhhhhh
    These were the 2019 results in Sunderland.

https://www.andrewteale.me.uk/leap/results/2019/56/
    edited May 2021

Northumberland
    Cowpen ward

Labour hold

2017 result

One could conclude that the story over night is not necessarily going to develop to Labour’s advantage...
    Endillion said:

It was my understanding that previous Speakers maintained neutrality after they left the chair.

That this is what he wants to say, shows he was doing a terrible job at neutrality before, since it was the world's worst kept secret that this is what he wanted to say.

Northumberland
    Cowpen ward

Labour hold

2017 result

Big swing to the Tories. Early days of course.

TimT said:

GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

It isn't Bruce Forsyth.

General Putin?
    Maréchal Pétain.
    I was being silly

Leon said:

An extraordinary moment

I fell asleep in a drunken stupor
    Early in the morning.

Hey, that's a sea shanty!
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,775

sarissa said:

kle4 said:

@BritainElects

Chgs. w/ 2016

How many months were there between the 2014 Independence referendum and the 2015 GE?

Northumberland
    Cowpen ward

Labour hold

2017 result

Lab 53% -> 47% so the vote held up fairly well.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

kle4 said:

@BritainElects

Chgs. w/ 2016

If the Scottish Gov passes a Bill Westminster thinks is outside its competence then Westminster had to take the Scottish Gov to court. It can't just ignore it.

Leon said:

Newsnight:

Salmond will be interesting if they do that....
    If he succeeds in rushing a vote that was lost, methinks Salmond really WOULD become a legend in Scotland.

Like the Edward I of England & Duke of Cumberland, only homegrown?
    chronicle live - COWPEN

William Barry Elliot (IND) - 70

Adam Christopher Parsons (CON) - 378

Margaret Catherine Richardson (LAB) - 398

LAB HOLD
    DavidL said:

Northumberland
    Cowpen ward

Labour hold

2017 result

LibDems drop to ZERO. That's the big story of the night for me.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,928

TimT said:

GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

It isn't Bruce Forsyth.

General Putin?
    Maréchal Pétain.
    TSE has a well-known anti-Semite for an avatar. Sad!
  • Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178

Northumberland
    Cowpen ward

Labour hold

2017 result

I mean, this is after 11 years of opposition.
  • AberjeffreyAberjeffrey Posts: 20
    Floater said:

Welcome

Thank you 😊
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Northumberland
    Cowpen ward

Labour hold

2017 result

LibDems drop to ZERO. That's the big story of the night for me.
    Ditto UKIP who are retaining their reputation for being a gateway drug for the Tories. It appears that none of them went back to Labour.

sarissa said:

kle4 said:

@BritainElects

Chgs. w/ 2016

How many months were there between the 2014 Independence referendum and the 2015 GE?
    That was cutting it as fine as was viable, plus it was at a time of the Fixed Term Parliament Act which won't exist by the time we reach 2023. Even if you expand it to autumn 2023, that doesn't extend the window of opportunity very far.

Past autumn 2023 politics will be too dominated by the 2024 General (if we haven't had a 2023 one), after that it will be the 2025 Holyrood Election coming up and the window has been missed to have a referendum.
    Nunu3 said:

Northumberland
    Cowpen ward

Labour hold

2017 result

I mean, this is after 11 years of opposition.
    Yeah, but Cowpen is Blyth and it's Brexit central. This is the new post-Brexit reality.
    edited May 2021

Northumberland
    Cowpen ward

Labour hold

2017 result

17% swing to the Tories, mainly based on UKIP not standing.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,775
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

@BritainElects

Chgs. w/ 2016

If the Scottish Gov passes a Bill Westminster thinks is outside its competence then Westminster had to take the Scottish Gov to court. It can't just ignore it.
    Having HMG take ScotGov to Court to stop a referendum would probably be an ideal prelude to a referendum campaign for those seeking independence.

Northumberland
    Cowpen ward

Labour hold

2017 result

Beat me to it!

Yeah, but apparent consolidation of 2017 opposition behind 2021 Tory may NOT be good omen for Labour.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Northumberland
    Cowpen ward

Labour hold

2017 result

That's what i was thinking, but, (and this might be wrong) being a seat with a UKIP candidate last time and no equivalent this time, its all gone to Con and then a bit, in seats where there was no UKIP last time perhaps the Lab vote will be down more? possible?

Australia's international borders may not fully reopen until the middle or second half of 2022, trade minister says - Reuters

I suspect lots of places won't fully open until they're 80+% vaccinated.

And places like Australia, New Zealand, etc., are also (and even before the EU's meddling) back of the vaccine purchasing queue.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    BigRich said:

Northumberland
    Cowpen ward

Labour hold

2017 result

That's what i was thinking, but, (and this might be wrong) being a seat with a UKIP candidate last time and no equivalent this time, its all gone to Con and then a bit, in seats where there was no UKIP last time perhaps the Lab vote will be down more? possible?
    https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1390438316990943233?s=19

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

@BritainElects

Chgs. w/ 2016

Having HMG take ScotGov to Court to stop a referendum would probably be an ideal prelude to a referendum campaign for those seeking independence.
    Somewhat reminiscent of how Lincoln kept his powder dry in 1861 until he could maneuver the Confederates into firing the first shot at Fort Sumter.

How much of their economy is based on tourism?
    edited May 2021
    From the vote-2012 forums and the wonderful Jamie, this is his summary and prediction for Cowpen, which is pretty bang-on.

Cowpen
    The ward covers northern Blyth. This is another solidly working class ward and includes the Bates coal mine which closed a relatively late 1986. This has long been a safe Labour ward and they easily held even in 2008. The ward actually got more marginal in 2013 when UKIP held Labour to a 11% majority, and they still got a credible 23% in 2017 (Labour got a majority of the vote). Interestingly, the Conservatives easily gained the town council seat in January 2020, but I suspect this was a combination of the general election landslide aftermath and the quirkiness of by-elections. Certainly, its hard to reconcile the Conservatives being well ahead in a ward like this when they ‘only’ won Blyth Valley constituency by 2% (which was basically what they won the constituency by in the 2017 local elections where Labour easily won this ward). Therefore, expect a Labour hold but the Conservatives could get a substantial swing their way.

Suggests the North East is pretty much as is from GE 2019, or thereabouts, which makes sense.
This discussion has been closed.