Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New IndyRef poll from Survation sees more Scottish people m

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,673
    Does anyone think there's value in backing the Lib Dems in Winchester at 4/1?

The Tory majority is 3k, add in UKIP doing well there, the Lib Dems could win by default?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited July 2014
    Final result from yesterday , North Herts DC Hitchwood/Offa/Hoo Con hold

Con 734 UKIP 203 Lab 116 Green 74 Lib Dem 57

Summary

Labour hold 3 ( 1 Penistone West a marginal seat which is usually Conservative ) Conservatives hold 2 ( 1 Torridge widely expected to be a UKIP gain ) Lib Dem gain 1 from Conservative ( widely expected to be a Meb Ker gain )
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    rcs1000 said:

@AveryLP

TBH, I think you over-analyse.

The key metric is the PMIs - because they are quickly collected, have a very broad base, and have been much better at predicting quarterly and annual GDP than monthly swings in retail sales, industrial production, etc.

And they remain broadly positive. Here are the latest Markit Manufacturing PMIs, sorted from best to worst. Remember: 50 or above is economic growth. Below 50 is recession, shrinkage.

UK          57.5
    USA 57.3
    Ireland 55.3
    Spain 54.6
    Italy 52.6
    Netherlands 52.3
    Germany 52.0
    Japan 51.5
    India 51.5
    China 50.7
    Poland 50.3
    Russia 49.1
    Brazil 48.7
    South Korea 48.4
    France 48.2
    PMIs are backward looking.
  • Options

Labourites should enjoy whilst they may Stephen Fisher's latest projection of a 1 seat Labour lead over the Tories at the next GE (296 vs 295), calculated by reference to UKPR's latest average polling results which shows Labour as having a 5% lead (36% vs 31%). These figures already look out of date with YouGov and Populus showing Labour leads of 3% and 2% respectively this morning, compared with a 7% Labour lead shown by both these pollsters earlier in the week.

Based on his updated projection, Prof. Fisher estimates that even with Labour's improved showing, there is a 52% probability of a hung parliament after the next General Election, equivalent to decimal odds of 1.92. This compares with odds of 5/4 or 2.25 decimal available from those nice people at SkyBet and BETFRED. That's a 35% better ROI than is currently indicated by Prof. Fisher's numbers ..... this looks like value to me but DYOR.

FPT - Peter, it was I who tipped Lord Howard at 25/1

Labourites should enjoy whilst they may Stephen Fisher's latest projection of a 1 seat Labour lead over the Tories at the next GE (296 vs 295), calculated by reference to UKPR's latest average polling results which shows Labour as having a 5% lead (36% vs 31%). These figures already look out of date with YouGov and Populus showing Labour leads of 3% and 2% respectively this morning, compared with a 7% Labour lead shown by both these pollsters earlier in the week.

Based on his updated projection, Prof. Fisher estimates that even with Labour's improved showing, there is a 52% probability of a hung parliament after the next General Election, equivalent to decimal odds of 1.92. This compares with odds of 5/4 or 2.25 decimal available from those nice people at SkyBet and BETFRED. That's a 35% better ROI than is currently indicated by Prof. Fisher's numbers ..... this looks like value to me but DYOR.

FPT - Peter, it was I who tipped Lord Howard at 25/1
    Many congratulations TSE, I bow before you. I actually had a couple of quid on myself, so fingers crossed!
    Do it Dave, you know it makes sense.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    Two other good reasons to do this:
    1) Juncker has been complaining that the member states aren't sending him enough women. He'd be likely to give her a high-ranking job if he could be persuaded she would actually do it properly instead of grandstanding to the British press.
    2) It gets rid of a potential leadership challenger.
  • Options

Two other good reasons to do this:
    1) Juncker has been complaining that the member states aren't sending him enough women. He'd be likely to give her a high-ranking job if he could be persuaded she would actually do it properly instead of grandstanding to the British press.
    Will she go though?

Ah feck it, I'll stick a tenner on her at 25/1
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited July 2014
    Completely Off topic, but I am incensed.

I have just read Melvyn Bragg's latest email newsletter that accompanies his excellent weekly programme, "In Our Time". In it he says it is to be the last one as the BBC have decided it is no longer affordable. FFS! How much does it cost to have someone, once a week, type up a thousand words and hit the send button? The BBC sent how many people to Brazil for the football? But it can't afford an hour of a clerk-typist's time once a week. Bah.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,474

But it does this so clumsily people would think he is frit.
  • Options
    Liverpool agree to sell Suarez to Barcelona for £75million
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023

The Tory majority is 3k, add in UKIP doing well there, the Lib Dems could win by default?

Not a sniff lol.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    TOPPING said:

I don't think they would. There hasn't been much in the media about a potential leadership challenge by Theresa May; They prefer talking about Boris. It only seems like a serious possibility to us because we're very politically nerdy, and also because Tim, who was very sharp when it came to handicapping the other side, used to post about the idea.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,471
    From cricinfo:

""am i the only one who noticed england seems to have Balance today. hopefully they can go a few sessions on the Trott without losing wickets and make the indians Cook under pressure. if these two Root themselves in until the Bell tomorrow, the they will have Broad smiles after closing down indias Prior two days performance."
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Goodbye Luis, you won't be missed, hell even Djimi Traore won more trophies at Liverpool than you did.

#FullOfSadness #FuckOffBarcelona.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    FalseFlag said:

rcs1000 said:

@AveryLP

TBH, I think you over-analyse.

The key metric is the PMIs - because they are quickly collected, have a very broad base, and have been much better at predicting quarterly and annual GDP than monthly swings in retail sales, industrial production, etc.

And they remain broadly positive. Here are the latest Markit Manufacturing PMIs, sorted from best to worst. Remember: 50 or above is economic growth. Below 50 is recession, shrinkage.

UK          57.5
    USA 57.3
    Ireland 55.3
    Spain 54.6
    Italy 52.6
    Netherlands 52.3
    Germany 52.0
    Japan 51.5
    India 51.5
    China 50.7
    Poland 50.3
    Russia 49.1
    Brazil 48.7
    South Korea 48.4
    France 48.2
    PMIs are backward looking.
    They're normally considered leading indicators, although no forward looking indicator is free from taking into account past and present conditions, simply because they impact on business decisions.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

May to Europe removes a challenger to ..... Osborne.
  • Options
    Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes 1m

When #mufc sold Ronaldo, someone at club said: "It was a rocky marriage but the sex was great."

Analogy works even better for Suarez at #LFC
  • Options

No, first time incumbent.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Suarez is moving to the Home office?
  • Options

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes 1m

When #mufc sold Ronaldo, someone at club said: "It was a rocky marriage but the sex was great."

Analogy works even better for Suarez at #LFC

For Suarez it was surely the food that was great.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Goodbye Luis, you won't be missed, hell even Djimi Traore won more trophies at Liverpool than you did.

You've probably seen this already, but..

Titi Camara @TitiCamara22 · Jul 7

When I left Liverpool not many people thought I could have been replaced. Liverpool will survive without Suarez
  • Options

You've probably seen this already, but..

Titi Camara @TitiCamara22 · Jul 7

When I left Liverpool not many people thought I could have been replaced. Liverpool will survive without Suarez
    I did

Liverpool fans always remember Titi with fondness.
  • Options
    Could do with an indian wicket now, been poking at the rising Indian price all morning:

Right now

-4.75 England
    +140.70 India
    -11.91 Draw
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Not a sniff lol.

A decent chance at 4/1though Conservatives should be favourites

Local election results for wards making up parliamentary seat

Lib Dem 13884 Con 12631
  • Options

first time unpopular incumbent
  • Options

Compared with how things stood with Suarez one year ago, coupled with the player's recent behaviour, this looks like a good bit of business for Liverpool, grateful thanks are due to Rodgers.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Not a sniff lol.

Lib Dem 13884 Con 12631
    Hmm Food for thought - Conservatives badly underperforming UNS in Lib-Dem/Con marginals methinks.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    RodCrosby said:

DavidL said:

Our own King of swingback was projecting fairly consistent tory leads by May. That has not happened. I miss Rod's contributions and would be interested to see what his current thinking was. He did well at the last election.

I said I expected "crossover" by May, meaning, as I soon clarified, at least some Tory polling leads. TICK

I also said it would be "nip and tuck" thereafter until January 2015, when the Tories would start to draw clearly ahead. Let's wait and see how accurate that is...
    Rod is sometimes right, sometimes wrong. He forecast that Labour would finish third on the night at the Euros. He was wrong about that. The Tories finished third, the only time they have ever done so in a national election.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    If May did go to Brussels, who do the panel think would get the Home Sec job??
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    taffys said:

Boris? That would be two challengers sorted!
  • Options

LOL...but seriously, nobody immediately comes to mind. And it has to be a heavy hitter.I'm sure Sajid Javed would be good, but too early.
  • Options

Based on?
    The local LDs are split over trying to force Clegg out.
  • Options
    taffys said:

LOL...but seriously, nobody immediately comes to mind. And it has to be a heavy hitter.I'm sure Sajid Javed would be good, but too early.

Agreed on Sajid Javid. Hammond would be the obvious choice..
  • Options

Based on?
    Him driving two of the Conservative councillors into defecting to the Lib Dems losing the Conservatives overall control of the council .
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Not a sniff lol.

Lib Dem 13884 Con 12631
    Hmm Food for thought - Conservatives badly underperforming UNS in Lib-Dem/Con marginals methinks.
    Watch out for low turnout inflating LD share.

There are Seniors in every LD constituency who are happy spending the whole of a local elections day walking back and forth between home and polling station.

Tories are far more languid. They vote only when it matters.

• Options
    Betting on Theresa May heading to Brussels because a Telegraph Journo has done one of those hypothetical pieces on it ?!

Not for me, Thanks !
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Not a sniff lol.

Lib Dem 13884 Con 12631

There are Seniors in every LD constituency who are happy spending the whole of a local elections day walking back and forth between home and polling station.

Labour are the kings of apathy surely !
  • Options
    edited July 2014

taffys said:

Agreed on Sajid Javid. Hammond would be the obvious choice..
    They would be better giving it to IDS and letting Hammond carry on the excellent work sort out the mess at DWP.
  • Options
    Hammond would be the obvious choice..

True.

I'd Like Nadhim Zahawi to get a job somewhere. He's very good at doing the hard yards, such as going on QT, or appearing on TV to defend controversial policies. Not sure he's senior minister material, but a good person to have in a tight corner.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Sajid Javed ought to go far, definitely a potential party leader and if he is lucky in the cycle PM. However, I think Mr. Javed will get bored by politics before he gets to the top of the greasy pole.
  • Options

Based on?
    Lucky for the LibDems Clegg seems to have a master plan to unite them...
  • Options
    However, I think Mr. Javed will get bored by politics before he gets to the top of the greasy pole.

Very senior minister material for me, not sure he has the charisma to be leader in an increasingly presidential age.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Cricket - the Draw lay looks a reasonable each-way bet at 1.3. These are two losing teams (England recently, India specifically away from home) and you'd have to think that one of them can find a way to screw this up. England could be all out for 270 or 670 here.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AveryLP said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Not a sniff lol.

Lib Dem 13884 Con 12631

Labour people often have better things to do with their time - such as going to work. Higher proportion of supporters in work than any other party ;-)
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Pulpstar said:

AveryLP said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Not a sniff lol.

Lib Dem 13884 Con 12631

Aren't we talking Con-LD seats?

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    EU diplomat on the big portfolios: "None of these portfolios is likely to go to Britain. You don't reward someone who is against you,"

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/eu-priorities-2020/juncker-may-punish-cameron-top-job-carve-303414
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Is Kirkup a mate of Goves and would the Gove vs May dustup be a reason to pack one of them off somewhere to avoid the risk of escalating boat-rocking?

• Options
    edited July 2014
    "None of these portfolios is likely to go to Britain. You don't reward someone who is against you"

The latest tremor over Portugal just makes me want to walk out the door and leave Germany to it.

And the ''who gives a f8ck, its only Europe''reaction in the markets says it all. This union is becoming increasingly irrelevant and is wilfully ignoring those telling it that, whilst mouthing mendacious platitudes to try and keep the sceptics on side.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I certainly remember Hillhead because I was canvassing there for Woy. We used to ask for a glass of claret in the pub when we had finished which, as I recall, we found a lot funnier than the locals.

Plenty of claret available in Hillhead, even in '82. Whether it was Woy quality is another matter.

No it really wasn't (although as a trainee solicitor at the time I really didn't know any better).

'82 was a really rather good year for claret. It's what I grew up on after the '76 ran out :)
  • Options
    taffys said:

May is the woman that's been plotting to hand over a whole bunch of justice matters to Brussels, including abolishing many long-standing British protections for suspects. She'd be a terrible Commissioner.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Betting on Theresa May heading to Brussels because a Telegraph Journo has done one of those hypothetical pieces on it ?!

Not for me, Thanks !

May getting out of domestic British politics is just too wonderful a prospect to be true.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

EU diplomat on the big portfolios: "None of these portfolios is likely to go to Britain. You don't reward someone who is against you,"

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/eu-priorities-2020/juncker-may-punish-cameron-top-job-carve-303414

Depends if you want them to stay against you or whether you would like them to come into the fold. If the UK sends a "big-beast" to Brussels and Juncker gives them a trivial job or the EU Parliament rejects a commission because it contains the UK rep in a big job then might that not be an indicator that it it is time for us to go and our "partners" are expecting us to go, maybe even ushering us to the exit.
  • Options
    @edmundintokyo

So far, so plausible: there is a reason for the data retention regime of the 2009 Regulations to be placed on a firmer statutory footing following the ECJ decision.

But this is not what the Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Bill (which has the unfortunate acronym DRIP) is doing; the DRIP Bill is going further than dealing with the ECJ decision. In effect, the UK government is using the ECJ decision as a pretext to force through, at speed, primary legislation affecting individual rights without proper scrutiny or deliberation. And the UK government has even managed to get the main opposition party to nod along with this. It is a remarkable and cynical political exercise.

It's unbelievable the way they're trying to rush this through.
  • Options

Compared with how things stood with Suarez one year ago, coupled with the player's recent behaviour, this looks like a good bit of business for Liverpool, grateful thanks are due to Rodgers.

They are, the way Brendan Rodgers has turned Jordan Henderson into the Mackem Messi is testament to his coaching skills.

I'm not sure it's a good footballing move for Suarez though.

At Liverpool, the team was designed around him and to get the best out of him.

At Barca, he's not going to be top dog, or even second dog.

He'll probably be third after Messi and Neymar.

How's he going to react to that?

The one thing that is guaranteed is that Liverpool are going to draw Barca in the Champs league this season.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,474
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I certainly remember Hillhead because I was canvassing there for Woy. We used to ask for a glass of claret in the pub when we had finished which, as I recall, we found a lot funnier than the locals.

Plenty of claret available in Hillhead, even in '82. Whether it was Woy quality is another matter.

No it really wasn't (although as a trainee solicitor at the time I really didn't know any better).

'82 was a really rather good year for claret. It's what I grew up on after the '76 ran out :)
    ?? It (the '82s) wouldn't have been ready for, say, 20 years so surely the dates don't quite work, Charles? Unless of course you are 30 yrs old. Which you may be...
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited July 2014
    BobaFett said:

RodCrosby said:

DavidL said:

Our own King of swingback was projecting fairly consistent tory leads by May. That has not happened. I miss Rod's contributions and would be interested to see what his current thinking was. He did well at the last election.

I said I expected "crossover" by May, meaning, as I soon clarified, at least some Tory polling leads. TICK

I also said it would be "nip and tuck" thereafter until January 2015, when the Tories would start to draw clearly ahead. Let's wait and see how accurate that is...
    Rod is sometimes right, sometimes wrong. He forecast that Labour would finish third on the night at the Euros. He was wrong about that. The Tories finished third, the only time they have ever done so in a national election.
    Not even Mike "I tipped Obama at 50-1" Smithson has a perfect record and Rod's record at predicting British political trends is better than many on here.
  • Options

Other interesting thing about the emergency law: It seems to make Mike into a telecommunications service. Hopefully parliament will fully consider the implications of this in its extensive three-day-long scrutiny process.

http://blogs.ft.com/david-allen-green/2014/07/11/drip-drip-drip-the-emergency-surveillance-law-erodes-our-civil-liberties/

What a silly article. That someone could write an entire piece on this - and in the FT to boot - without apparently having noticed the 2016 sunset clause does rather suggest that he is not exactly the sharpest legal brain.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Other interesting thing about the emergency law: It seems to make Mike into a telecommunications service. Hopefully parliament will fully consider the implications of this in its extensive three-day-long scrutiny process.

http://blogs.ft.com/david-allen-green/2014/07/11/drip-drip-drip-the-emergency-surveillance-law-erodes-our-civil-liberties/

What a silly article. That someone could write an entire piece on this - and in the FT to boot - without apparently having noticed the 2016 sunset clause does rather suggest that he is not exactly the sharpest legal brain.
    Of course he knows about the 2016 sunset clause. You think any of this is going to get repealed in 2016? It'll be the same move as this one: To allow X to continue doing the work they're currently doing, we need to renew everything in the old thing, plus throw in a load more while pretending it's the same.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    BobaFett said:

Pulpstar said:

AveryLP said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Not a sniff lol.

Lib Dem 13884 Con 12631

Labour people often have better things to do with their time - such as going to work. Higher proportion of supporters in work than any other party ;-)
    Strange as they also have a much higher percentage of wasters and layabouts with their mittens out looking for my money as well.
    Must be a broad church.
  • Options

The 2016 sunset clause is the same trick pulled by George Bush when slashing taxes. By the time 2016 rolls around you lot will be arguing that your opponents and wanting to change the law to make things easier for terrorists, as the GOP said the Democrats wanted to raise taxes.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    BobaFett said:

RodCrosby said:

DavidL said:

I didn't forecast it. I said it looked like a value bet.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Socrates said:

The 2016 sunset clause is the same trick pulled by George Bush when slashing taxes. By the time 2016 rolls around you lot will be arguing that your opponents and wanting to change the law to make things easier for terrorists, as the GOP said the Democrats wanted to raise taxes.
    It's actually worse than that, because at that point you _have_ to pass a new law, so you get another of these emergencies to exploit to pass a load more legislation that you didn't dare try sneak through in the last emergency.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Of course he knows about the 2016 sunset clause. You think any of this is going to get repealed in 2016? It'll be the same move as this one: To allow X to continue doing the work they're going, we need to renew everything in the old thing, plus throw in a load more while pretending it's the same.

Yes, of course he knows about it. He deliberately chose not to mention it, because it completely blows out of the water his hyperbole about "a pretext to force through, at speed, primary legislation affecting individual rights without proper scrutiny or deliberation". We now have a period of two years of scrutiny and deliberation.

So he's not stupid, just pursuing a political agenda.

Still, it's useful article nonetheless. I found the explanation very helpful in understanding why the government has been persuaded that these changes are necessary.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,249

Of course he knows about the 2016 sunset clause. You think any of this is going to get repealed in 2016? It'll be the same move as this one: To allow X to continue doing the work they're going, we need to renew everything in the old thing, plus throw in a load more while pretending it's the same.

Yes, of course he knows about it. He deliberately chose not to mention it, because it completely blows out of the water his hyperbole about "a pretext to force through, at speed, primary legislation affecting individual rights without proper scrutiny or deliberation". We now have a period of two years of scrutiny and deliberation.

So he's not stupid, just pursuing a political agenda.

Still, it's useful article nonetheless. I found the explanation very helpful in understanding why the government has been persuaded that these changes are necessary.
    You should have the "scrutiny and deliberation" BEFORE the law is passed not afterwards.

This is a bad law being rushed through by Parliamentarians with little regard for British liberties. We are governed by mendacious incompetents.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

BobaFett said:

RodCrosby said:

DavidL said:

You forecast it!

RodCrosby Posts: 2,213
    May 25
    Labour on the way to third place nationally after that result...

May 25 edited May 25
    Casino_Royale said:
    » show previous quotes
    How do you calculate?
    Tories were 12% ahead of Lab in 2009. Looks like 1% now after 2 results. Lab need a >6% Con-Lab swing to beat the Tories.

Sky have voteshare C -2.8, Lab 8.2.

Not enough.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Socrates said:

Terrorists. paedophiles, tax avoiders (so potentially anyone with a bank account).
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

This is a bad law being rushed through by Parliamentarians with little regard for British liberties. We are governed by mendacious incompetents.

Well, that's a nice balanced, well-argued point. It seems you are another of those who work backwards from assuming all politicians are mendacious incompetents, and that therefore the bill must be bad. It seems very reasonable to me; for example, updating the definition of “telecommunications service” to take account of the very big technological changes since 2000.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

RodCrosby said:

DavidL said:

Not even Mike "I tipped Obama at 50-1" Smithson has a perfect record and Rod's record at predicting British political trends is better than many on here.
    No-one has a perfect record. I was merely pointing out that people would be foolish to put all their faith in the predictions of one individual.

Interestingly Steve Fisher's model now predicts Labour most seats – not that I see any great purpose to, or place any great faith in, his model either.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

Interestingly Steve Fisher's model now predicts Labour most seats

No it doesn't.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    BobaFett said:

RodCrosby said:

BobaFett said:

RodCrosby said:

DavidL said:

You forecast it!

May 25
    Labour on the way to third place nationally after that result...

May 25 edited May 25
    Casino_Royale said:
    » show previous quotes
    How do you calculate?
    Tories were 12% ahead of Lab in 2009. Looks like 1% now after 2 results. Lab need a >6% Con-Lab swing to beat the Tories.

Sky have voteshare C -2.8, Lab 8.2.

Not enough.
    That's a betting tip based on results at that moment. One that narrowly failed to come off.
    If you want a proper forecast, the next time Labour get a lead of over 5% in two polls, BobaFett will start trumping on about a trend.
    Sadly, there is no value in the betting on this market.
  • Options
    Nice to see the Indians continue to get inside edges given with no chance of overturn due to their inexplicable denial of DRS. I say 'inexplicable'....
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

RodCrosby said:

DavidL said:

No-one has a perfect record. I was merely pointing out that people would be foolish to put all their faith in the predictions of one individual.

Interestingly Steve Fisher's model now predicts Labour most seats – not that I see any great purpose to, or place any great faith in, his model either.

If Fishers model came off as shown today, the country would be ungovernable and, fortunately, given his extra one seat, Deadhand Ed would cop the blame when the ship went down.
    Something nice in the midst of chaos.
  • Options
    Huzzah

Racing drivers could roar through the streets of London in just a year under laws being rushed through by David Cameron.

Mayor Boris Johnson welcomed the chance for a “spectacular” Monaco-style Grand Prix in the capital, potentially generating millions of pounds in fees and sponsorship.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/new-law-could-see-f1-in-london-9600359.html
  • Options
    edited July 2014

It seems very reasonable to me; for example, updating the definition of “telecommunications service” to take account of the very big technological changes since 2000.

Out of interest do you think that updating the definition of “telecommunications service” to take account of the very big technological changes since 2000 is an emergency that doesn't have time to be considered like a normal piece of legislation before it's enacted?

PS. When we were speculating on this the other day Richard adorably believed that the emergency would be some kind of actual terrorist emergency or something, rather than a piece of legislation that looked illegal when it was passed being officially found to be illegal three months ago.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

You should have the "scrutiny and deliberation" BEFORE the law is passed not afterwards.

Indeed. The argument that a law must be passed in order for it to be subject to scrutiny is one of the most bizarre yet made on this site by the authoritarians. Their casuistry surpasses even the Jesuits.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,632

MrJones said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10959997/Westminster-whistleblower-told-to-back-off-over-paedophiles.html

"But he claimed his boss told him that the money was going to a "legitimate" organisation and that the funding was "at the request of Special Branch". "

This whole thing is going to stoke up the 'they're everywhere!' Brigade
    Paedogeddon is upon us
    Hardly everywhere. This scandal seems to be rather geographically contained -the only problem being it's in our seat of government.

• Options
    Three months and swing back will be starting to crank into gear and I can start posting amusingly damning predictions for Ed and co. I shall be more unbearable than ever, and you'll all love it and despair.
    Aneurin Bevin, Neil Kinnock, Gordon Brown, Harold Wilson, Keir Hardie, can you hear me Keir Hardie? Your boys took one hell of a beating!
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @dyedwoolie
    Not that I take much notice of cricket, but didn't one of the Indian players also get given out, when DRS would have shown him not out?
    Swings and roundabouts? Or perhaps you have an inborn sense of entitlement?
  • Options

Out of interest do you think that updating the definition of “telecommunications service” to take account of the very big technological changes since 2000 is an emergency that doesn't have time to be considered like a normal piece of legislation before it's enacted?

No I don't. It is something which the government has been indicating for a long while was necessary. No doubt they have been discussing the exact scope of it for a while.

If the argument is that this Bill should have been brought in earlier, then, yes, OK, fair enough, that is a valid point. I don't know why it wasn't, but I'd hazard a guess that it is related to the New Politics, Parties Working Together, and all that other hung-parliament stuff which makes is harder to govern.
  • Options

MrJones said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10959997/Westminster-whistleblower-told-to-back-off-over-paedophiles.html

"But he claimed his boss told him that the money was going to a "legitimate" organisation and that the funding was "at the request of Special Branch". "

This whole thing is going to stoke up the 'they're everywhere!' Brigade
    Paedogeddon is upon us
    Hardly everywhere. This scandal seems to be rather geographically contained -the only problem being it's in our seat of government.

That's my point. There's a serious problem, but the shrieking paedophobes will be convincing us it's paedogeddon and every bush must be nuked and every park patrolled by armed guards (with appropriate CRB checks of course)
    The nation loves hysteria.
  • Options

It seems very reasonable to me; for example, updating the definition of “telecommunications service” to take account of the very big technological changes since 2000.

PS. When we were speculating on this the other day Richard adorably believed that the emergency would be some kind of actual terrorist emergency or something, rather than a piece of legislation that looked illegal when it was passed being found to be illegal three months ago.
    I don't know much about the new law, so can't comment upon the merits of it, however what has interested me is that Ed Miliband is backing the proposals.

When bad legislation was attempted under the last government, the opposition (both the Tories and Liberal Democrats) made a big thing of opposing them, so it can't be that Ed is worried about the soft on terrorism attacks/
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Well, that's a nice balanced, well-argued point. It seems you are another of those who work backwards from assuming all politicians are mendacious incompetents, and that therefore the bill must be bad. It seems very reasonable to me; for example, updating the definition of “telecommunications service” to take account of the very big technological changes since 2000.
    It's funny how the definition just so happens to expand to give the government more power. Pure coincidence!
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@dyedwoolie
    Not that I take much notice of cricket, but didn't one of the Indian players also get given out, when DRS would have shown him not out?
    Swings and roundabouts? Or perhaps you have an inborn sense of entitlement?

And two or three got off when they should have been out.
    The difference being, England supports the use of technology to make the game fairer and less prone to 'events'. India doesn't.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

No it doesn't.
    It does – by 296 vs 295. The princely sum of one seat. As I say though, I place no faith in it as as a forecasting tool.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,249

Cyclefree said:

I do not assume that. I form my opinion on the facts. I see a bad law being rushed through; I see spurious arguments being used to justify it; I look at similar laws rushed through - and their consequences; I see very little evidence of Parliamentarians placing any value on the liberties of the citizen or the need to balance our rights and the power of the state; and I draw my conclusions from this.

I do not wish to get personal but you are the one who seems to strive every sinew to put the best possible construction on the motives of what this government is doing. It seems to me to be a stance which flies in the face of recent and not so recent history.

• Options
    @dyedwoolie
    Accepting the umpires decision is just not "cricket" then?
    How very English, morality fits where it touches.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

No it doesn't.
    It does – by 296 vs 295. The princely sum of one seat. As I say though, I place no faith in it as as a forecasting tool.
    And as the polls show PM Ed Miliband headed for a 97 style wipeout, he can only hoarsely exclaim through the tears and bacon 'if only we hadn't gained Broxtowe'
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Sigh.

I give up.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@dyedwoolie
    Accepting the umpires decision is just not "cricket" then?
    How very English, morality fits where it touches.

Bwahahahaha. Indeed.
    And yes, I am very English. And quite proud of the fact. And morality, in any case, is entirely subjective and personal. There is no categorical imperative here.
    In the fine words of Nate Ruess
    I'll die for my own sins, thanks a lot,
    We'll rise up ourselves, thanks for nothing at all
  • Options
    Socrates said:

It's funny how the definition just so happens to expand to give the government more power. Pure coincidence!

And it's even more of a coincidence that you have failed to acknowledge that other parts of the Bill reduce the government's power.
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382

They are, the way Brendan Rodgers has turned Jordan Henderson into the Mackem Messi is testament to his coaching skills.

I'm not sure it's a good footballing move for Suarez though.

At Liverpool, the team was designed around him and to get the best out of him.

At Barca, he's not going to be top dog, or even second dog.

He'll probably be third after Messi and Neymar.

How's he going to react to that?

The one thing that is guaranteed is that Liverpool are going to draw Barca in the Champs league this season.
    I hope they draw Juventus. Henderson is just a hard running typical English player, Scousers had their chance and blew it. There won't be another one in the near future.
  • Options
    @CycleFree

"We are governed by mendacious incompetents."

I agree, but that is not anything new. With the odd exception here and there we have always been governed by mendacious incompetents. What do you find so shocking about this new law?

The interception by HMG of the content of communication has always gone on and is arguably better governed now than at any time in our history. The use of so-called metadata (i.e. who is talking to who and where they are as opposed to what they are saying) has also been of some use in public protection and the detection of crime (though these days it is far less useful than perhaps HMG would have us believe). Both of these activities have to go on. The question is really about authorisation and oversight, oh, and who gets access to the data (do local councils, the ambulance service and the Charity Commission to name but three actually need to know?).

As far as I can see the new bill does not make the situation any worse than it was and that was better than before RIPA was passed. So why the fuss?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @dyedwoolie
    Your team's sin appears to have been agreeing to no DRS,
    Stop whining, you sound like a Tory when you do. ;-)
  • Options

When bad legislation was attempted under the last government, the opposition (both the Tories and Liberal Democrats) made a big thing of opposing them, so it can't be that Ed is worried about the soft on terrorism attacks/

I'm not sure exactly what the opposition opposed last time - I don't think they were particularly opposed to some of the really bad legislation that was passed during the worst period with the Blair Home Secretaries after 9/11?

Either way, Labour are generally more exposed on security issues and need to be more worried about looking weak, in the same way that the Tories are more exposed on the NHS.

The other political angle here is that it probably helps Labour for the LibDems to cut off any remaining limbs.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

Sigh.

I give up.
    It's only one seat.

No need to give up just yet.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@dyedwoolie
    Your team's sin appears to have been agreeing to no DRS,
    Stop whining, you sound like a Tory when you do. ;-)

Stop pointing out my excellent traits of Englishness and Toryism. I'll get a big head.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I do not wish to get personal but you are the one who seems to strive every sinew to put the best possible construction on the motives of what this government is doing.

Yes, I do believe that most politicians, of all parties, are decent. honourable, honest, and are genuinely trying to do the best for the country. That's hardly an unreasonable view.

In this particular case, it's not just what the government is doing, it is all the main political parties. You can be as cynical as you like, but it is stretching credulity well beyond breaking point to conclude that David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ed Miliband, Theresa May, Dominic Grieve, Yvette Cooper, William Hague, and all the other senior politicians from all parties who agree that this needs to be done, and who are overseen in this by a Select Committee chaired by Ming Campbell, are engaged in some collective conspiracy against our liberties for no good reason.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

No it doesn't.
    And as the polls show PM Ed Miliband headed for a 97 style wipeout, he can only hoarsely exclaim through the tears and bacon 'if only we hadn't gained Broxtowe'
    You must be looking at some different polls to the ones I'm seeing !
  • Options
    @dyedwoolie

Heaven fore fend that should ever happen!
  • Options

I'm not sure exactly what the opposition opposed last time - I don't think they were particularly opposed to some of the really bad legislation that was passed during the worst period with the Blair Home Secretaries after 9/11?

Yes they were. 90 days detention for a start.
  • Options

Either way, Labour are generally more exposed on security issues and need to be more worried about looking weak, in the same way that the Tories are more exposed on the NHS.

The other political angle here is that it probably helps Labour for the LibDems to cut off any remaining limbs.
    I was thinking 90 days detention without charge.
This discussion has been closed.