Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Great news for those of us who like laying Gammons, Laurence Fox, Shaun Bailey, and Brian Rose – pol

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2021 in General
Great news for those of us who like laying Gammons, Laurence Fox, Shaun Bailey, and Brian Rose – politicalbetting.com

Who you do and don't prompt for is a tricky one in election polls. The simplest answer (have the question perfectly reflect the ballot paper) we've found tends to overstate support for the also-rans and no-hopers

Read the full story here

Comments

• bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    edited April 2021
    1st like non Gammon Khan
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    FPT & correctly threaded

MattW said:

TimT said:
    I can't make that link work.

But I'm seeing a touch of sensationalism elsewhere.

It's an explanation that the true death rate in India is likely much higher, probably around 10x the reported number.

Calculated from worldometers a few days back

Tests/million

India 1,059
    Europe 5,362

Positivity % 15.88 India ; Europe 4.57%.

This was a 233943 case day for India.
  • That was a disgusting image, please never write that again
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Nice Oxford comma.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    The UKIP candidate is called Gammons? That’s very funny.
    Pulpstar said:

FPT & correctly threaded

MattW said:

TimT said:

It's an explanation that the true death rate in India is likely much higher, probably around 10x the reported number.

Tests/million

India 1,059
    Europe 5,362

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/if-coronavirus-spreads-in-india-will-we-know-11583211114946.html

March 2020 article about India's inadequate death reporting.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited April 2021
    tlg86 said:

Yup, see this Twitter thread, he has the touch of His Excellency Professor Sir Paul Nuttall CH, KCVO, VC, and DSC about him.

https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1374470178881204227?lang=en
  • IshmaelZ said:

Nice Oxford comma.

The Oxford comma is best thing ever to come out of Oxford, ever.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    Youtube advert watch: adverts from Messrs Fox and Rose have lately reappeared, along with one from Starmer which is presumably aimed nationwide.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    IshmaelZ said:

Nice Oxford comma.

And vital first comma.
    Could Bailey be described as a gammon? I'm of the opinion, despite the bleating of the likes of Brillo etc, that it describes a state of mind rather than a skin tone so I'll plump for yes.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718

tlg86 said:

Yup, see this Twitter thread, he has the touch of His Excellency Professor Sir Paul Nuttall CH, KCVO, VC, and DSC about him.

I thought it was VC and bar?
    However, in the real world what's happened to Paul Nuttall? He seems to vanished from public life.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,145

tlg86 said:

I see he claims to hold a peerage recorded in the 1066 Doomsday book. Quite a shock for ydoethur and the other historians on here if true.

I can't decide id this thread referred to in that one is serious or a complete send up ...

https://twitter.com/barney_cansdale/status/1374465333268946944
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Pulpstar said:

FPT & correctly threaded

MattW said:

TimT said:

Tests/million

India 1,059
    Europe 5,362

The only way we will know actual death rates in India is from Excess death figures and even then I suspect it will be seriously under estimated as from memory there is no need to formally record deaths.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

I see he claims to hold a peerage recorded in the 1066 Doomsday book. Quite a shock for ydoethur and the other historians on here if true.

I can't decide id this thread referred to in that one is serious or a complete send up ...

https://twitter.com/barney_cansdale/status/1374465333268946944
    It'd have been a bit sharp of William the Bastard, given he was crowned on Christmas Day.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

tlg86 said:

However, in the real world what's happened to Paul Nuttall? He seems to vanished from public life.
    As has the party tbf. "Paul Nuttalls and the Ukips" are no more.

IshmaelZ said:

Nice Oxford comma.

And vital first comma.
    Could Bailey be described as a gammon? I'm of the opinion, despite the bleating of the likes of Brillo etc, that it describes a state of mind rather than a skin tone so I'll plump for yes.
    Here's one where two Oxford commas would be appropriate (for @ydoethur especially)

https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1384755088523239424
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184

IshmaelZ said:

Nice Oxford comma.

Things which have come out of Oxford:
    Commas
    Pillow cases (rubbish ones - I feel surprisingly strongly about this)
    Shirts
    Brogues
    Vaccines

Is there a medium sized city with as many nouns attached as Oxford? I suggest not.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited April 2021
    28% for Shaun Bailey and 13% behind Khan in round 1 would be better than Steve Norris did in 2000, so he would avoid being the worst Tory candidate for London Mayor yet (even though Norris did a bit better in the first round in 2004 than Bailey is on this poll and in the second round got 42% in 2000)
  • gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    edited April 2021
    dixiedean said:

Been thinking about this Agnelli quote about Brexit.
    The man is an incompetent, greedy buffoon, but he does have the germ of a point.
    Hear me out.
    When Super League was announced, the reaction in Spain and Italy was pretty much the same as here. Most fans furiously opposed. But the reaction was a shrug of frustration. Nowt we can do against global, rapacious capital.
    But Brexit (and the pandemic too) has shown summat CAN be done. A furious minority of the population presented a vote hungry government with a one yard tap in to the empty net of the international oligarchy.
    Brexit showed there are plenty of electoral rewards to be gained from slamming it in the net.
    A government which can leave the EU, close pubs, house all the homeless over the weekend and nationalise transport can do WTF it wants.
    And very quickly.
    Not sure this will always play to the government's advantage, but, am sure they wouldn't have gone in studs up at the rebel 6 with such speed and relish pre-Brexit either.

Waving tiny skinny fists and thinking you are beating the inevitable does tie brexit and super league together.

You can’t have status qou, you have to acknowledge change. People opposed super league on basis football isn’t broken, this will break it. They were wrong and foolish to think that. Mistakenly thought greed was driving it, not debt. They said things like they were not bothered by owners financial difficulties without realising the business model of their club is not viable anymore. Brexit was the same we can have what we want without consequence, which is not true, you can’t.
    Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nice Oxford comma.

Commas
    Shirts
    Brogues
    Vaccines

Is there a medium sized city with as many nouns attached as Oxford? I suggest not.
    Marmalade
    Accent

Oxford is the weave of the cotton, not the shirt itself.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    gealbhan said:

dixiedean said:

The man is an incompetent, greedy buffoon, but he does have the germ of a point.
    Hear me out.
    When Super League was announced, the reaction in Spain and Italy was pretty much the same as here. Most fans furiously opposed. But the reaction was a shrug of frustration. Nowt we can do against global, rapacious capital.
    But Brexit (and the pandemic too) has shown summat CAN be done. A furious minority of the population presented a vote hungry government with a one yard tap in to the empty net of the international oligarchy.
    Brexit showed there are plenty of electoral rewards to be gained from slamming it in the net.
    A government which can leave the EU, close pubs, house all the homeless over the weekend and nationalise transport can do WTF it wants.
    And very quickly.
    Not sure this will always play to the government's advantage, but, am sure they wouldn't have gone in studs up at the rebel 6 with such speed and relish pre-Brexit either.

Waving tiny skinny fists and thinking you are beating the inevitable does tie brexit and super league together.

You can’t have status qou, you have to acknowledge change. People opposed super league on basis football isn’t broken, this will break it. They were wrong and foolish to think that. Mistakenly thought greed was driving it, not debt. They said things like they were not bothered by owners financial difficulties without realising the business model of their club is not viable anymore. Brexit was the same we can have what we want without consequence, which is not true, you can’t.
    If the Big 3 and Spurs go under (Man City and Chelsea are immune), that will be good.

There was an Everton fan on TalkSPORT who was embracing it, and I don’t blame him. Football could do with a big reset.
    eek said:

Pulpstar said:

FPT & correctly threaded

MattW said:

TimT said:

Tests/million

India 1,059
    Europe 5,362

The only way we will know actual death rates in India is from Excess death figures and even then I suspect it will be seriously under estimated as from memory there is no need to formally record deaths.
    You are right

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/if-coronavirus-spreads-in-india-will-we-know-11583211114946.html
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited April 2021
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nice Oxford comma.

And vital first comma.
    Here's one where two Oxford commas would be appropriate (for @ydoethur especially)

Disappointing - for a moment there it looked as if they were trying to revive and put a new spin on the old and glorious system of special funding for those who could show themselves to be consanguinei fundatoris...
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960
    HYUFD said:

28% for Shaun Bailey and 13% behind Khan in round 1 would be better than Steve Norris did in 2000, so he would avoid being the worst Tory candidate for London Mayor yet (even though Norris did a bit better in the first round in 2004 than Bailey is on this poll and in the second round got 42% in 2000)

"Better than Norris" is the faintest of faint praise imaginable, and ignores that Livingstone standing as an independent messed up everything in 2000.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Sadly Piers Corbyn doesn't come last in that poll. The honour for that place is held by a Valerie Brown "Burning Pink" who none of the poll respondents chose.

Other candidates on just 2 in the poll sample were Vanessa Hudson and Steve Kelleher of the Animal Welfare and Social Democratic Parties. I think the race for last could be quite exciting.

If the poll is anything to go by then Count Binface (8 respondents) could finish ahead of Gammons (8), Fox (9) and maybe even Rose (13). Wouldn't that be fun?
    edited April 2021
    tlg86 said:

gealbhan said:

dixiedean said:

Hear me out.
    And very quickly.

If the Big 3 and Spurs go under (Man City and Chelsea are immune), that will be good.

There was an Everton fan on TalkSPORT who was embracing it, and I don’t blame him. Football could do with a big reset.
    That puts the greed in the fans camp. That is what has really been happening, so called fans victory is really the victory of fans self interested in seeing Big G’s Man U go under.
    For all those excited at the thought of a tall Boris

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1384877566008385537?s=20
  • IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nice Oxford comma.

Commas
    Shirts
    Brogues
    Vaccines

Marmalade
    Accent

Bags (i.e. trousers)
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,280
    "‘The die is cast,’ said Markus Söder in a press conference yesterday as he stepped back to allow his rival Armin Laschet to run as the chancellor candidate for the conservatives in Germany’s upcoming election. This ominous phrase was carefully chosen by a man who thought a disastrously wrong decision had been made by the CDU elite.

Söder was by far the most popular chancellor candidate, and had a 20 point lead over his conservative competitor in the polls. Söder, the minister-president of Bavaria, won his own state and the wider German public over with his straight-talking and decisive action during the pandemic. With the charismatic Bavarian at the helm, Merkel’s CDU/CSU would have stood a good chance of not only retaining power, but winning the election comfortably." (£)

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/merkel-s-successor-could-be-a-disaster-for-germany
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878

tlg86 said:

Can't be - the only VC and bar I know was Flashman...
    edited April 2021
    Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

"Better than Norris" is the faintest of faint praise imaginable, and ignores that Livingstone standing as an independent messed up everything in 2000.
    The London electorate today doesn't have much in common with that of 2000. A 41%-28% situation isn't too bad for a Tory candidate in the capital these days.
  • Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited April 2021
    dixiedean said:

Hear me out.
    And very quickly.

I think there’s a lot in this. The Government, (and the electorate) have seen things done this year at real pace. See also vaccines and testing.

We don’t know where this will end up, but it must be quite scary for small state Thatcherite types, because politics is going interventionist, and it’s being led that way by a Tory party that more in touch with its view from the 50s and the 20s (depending on the issue) than from the 80s and 90s.

I certainly think it’s an opportunity for Labour. Drop the “woke” crap and focus on things like “we ended homelessness overnight, let’s do that all the time”, “let’s think big on climate change” and “let’s support the unemployed better the rest of the time too”.
    gealbhan said:

tlg86 said:

gealbhan said:

dixiedean said:

Hear me out.
    And very quickly.

That puts the greed in the fans camp. That is what has really been happening, so called fans victory is really the victory of fans self interested in seeing Big G’s Man U go under.
    You can't go on buying success with borrowed money forever. You've got to cut back and repay and let someone else have a go.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,836
    gealbhan said:

dixiedean said:

Hear me out.
    And very quickly.

Yes. That was part of my thinking too.
    Both are the wrong answers to the right questions imho.
    IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nice Oxford comma.

Commas
    Shirts
    Brogues
    Vaccines

Marmalade
    Accent

You amaze me.
    I thought it meant a button-down collar - Oxford not being known for being a centre of the textiles industry, AFAIAA.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited April 2021

tlg86 said:

Flashman makes four.

Three people have been awarded the VC and Bar, the bar representing a second award of the VC. They are Noel Chavasse and Arthur Martin-Leake, both doctors in the Royal Army Medical Corps, for rescuing wounded under fire; and New Zealander Charles Upham, an infantryman, for combat actions.[83]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Cross

All extraordinary stories to read.
    Andy_JS said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

The London electorate today doesn't have much in common with that of 2000. A 41%-28% situation isn't too bad for a Tory candidate in the capital these days.
    I did wonder the other day whether Covid might screw up the ability of pollsters to balance samples in London. I.e. Has a non-trivial number of voters fled the capital and (even if temporarily) lost the right or incentive to vote?

Not saying Khan won’t win, just that the other numbers might move around a bit.
    tlg86 said:

gealbhan said:

dixiedean said:

Hear me out.
    And very quickly.

Everton fans opposed super league to destroy Liverpool and Man U. Liverpool and Man U fans opposed super league because, well, because they are not very bright.

The safest bet in town now is the UEFA revamp looks so very similar to this proposal, but with much less income the rest of football would have got from SL.

Meanwhile the huge threat to the PL, it’s busted business model, has not been addressed, nor unsustainable post covid debt, and football in England remains in big trouble.

Evidence for this? There has to be interest in the product. If TV deals half because of falling interest, that equates to sizeable devastation, not merely belt tightening. I guess fans of clubs feel their wealthy owners will save them? Or that the club is too big and wealthy to fail? 🤣

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited April 2021
    Andy_JS said:

"‘The die is cast,’ said Markus Söder in a press conference yesterday as he stepped back to allow his rival Armin Laschet to run as the chancellor candidate for the conservatives in Germany’s upcoming election. This ominous phrase was carefully chosen by a man who thought a disastrously wrong decision had been made by the CDU elite.

Söder was by far the most popular chancellor candidate, and had a 20 point lead over his conservative competitor in the polls. Söder, the minister-president of Bavaria, won his own state and the wider German public over with his straight-talking and decisive action during the pandemic. With the charismatic Bavarian at the helm, Merkel’s CDU/CSU would have stood a good chance of not only retaining power, but winning the election comfortably." (£)

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/merkel-s-successor-could-be-a-disaster-for-germany

Possibly one more chance to avoid disaster for the CDU in September if as polls suggest the CDU fall behind the AfD in Saxony Anhalt in June and the Greens take the lead nationally, as Forsa already shows and the CDU elite panic and rush to Soder

Just skimmed the "rollonfriday" forum on this subject and came across the following comment from a poster called "BREXITBREXIT" (their caps).

"HE’S THE LEADER OF BREXIT BRITAIN AND A TOWERING COLOSSUS OF A MAN: IN MY ESTIMATION HE IS SIX FOOT TWO ALL MUSCLE."

Sound familiar?
    edited April 2021
    gealbhan said:

tlg86 said:

gealbhan said:

dixiedean said:

Hear me out.
    And very quickly.

Everton fans opposed super league to destroy Liverpool and Man U. Liverpool and Man U fans opposed super league because, well, because they are not very bright.

The safest bet in town now is the UEFA revamp looks so very similar to this proposal, but with much less income the rest of football would have got from SL.

Meanwhile the huge threat to the PL, it’s busted business model, has not been addressed, nor unsustainable post covid debt, and football in England remains in big trouble.

Evidence for this? There has to be interest in the product. If TV deals half because of falling interest, that equates to sizeable devastation, not merely belt tightening. I guess fans of clubs feel their wealthy owners will save them? Or that the club is too big and wealthy to fail? 🤣

It shouldn't be hard for football to cover its costs.
    In normal circumstances (and these are not normal circumstances, but hopefully they soon will be), hundreds of thousands of people a week pay £25 a head and more to watch a game live. Millions more pay subscriptions to watch the game on television. Advertisers throw money at the game. Merchandise gives another revenue stream.
    What are the costs which are making this unprofitable, apart from player wages? If player wages are all it is, pay them less.

EDIT: Bury didn't fail because of lack of support. It failed because its owner was a crook.
    Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nice Oxford comma.

Commas
    Shirts
    Brogues
    Vaccines

Marmalade
    Accent

You amaze me.
    I thought it meant a button-down collar - Oxford not being known for being a centre of the textiles industry, AFAIAA.
    I always thought it was a US importation but:

'In fact, the Oxford shirt is so-called because it is constructed from a fabric using a unique basket weave, originating in Scotland during the 19th century.

The story goes that a Scottish mill named four fabrics after the four famous institutions: Cambridge, Yale, Harvard and most importantly Oxford (hence the name). Polo players were the first to wear the Oxford during their matches. This could be why it is associated with a preppy and smart-casual style.'

TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

Flashman makes four.

Three people have been awarded the VC and Bar, the bar representing a second award of the VC. They are Noel Chavasse and Arthur Martin-Leake, both doctors in the Royal Army Medical Corps, for rescuing wounded under fire; and New Zealander Charles Upham, an infantryman, for combat actions.[83]

Actually now you've posted that I've remembered! I've even visited the memorial to one of them, in a park in Coventry.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Andy_JS said:

A remarkably dense decision by the CDU. It's a bit like an alternate history in which the Tories in 2019 plumped for Michael Gove to revive their fortunes instead of Boris...
  • IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nice Oxford comma.

Commas
    Shirts
    Brogues
    Vaccines

Marmalade
    Accent

Bags (i.e. trousers)
    Movement.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,002
    edited April 2021
    gealbhan said:

tlg86 said:

gealbhan said:

dixiedean said:

Hear me out.
    And very quickly.

To be honest why suggest Man Utd lifetime supporters are not bright

I would suggest I have had far more involvement in football , its fans, and the clubs over the last 70 years than anything you have and to be honest I want the owners out and do not really worry about the consequences

And you are wrong about the Premier League which will continue to be lucrative for the TV companies and UEFAs champions league as is or improved will be also

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nice Oxford comma.

And vital first comma.

Disappointing - for a moment there it looked as if they were trying to revive and put a new spin on the old and glorious system of special funding for those who could show themselves to be consanguinei fundatoris...
    It always made me wonder how manjy of those 'kin of the founder' at Oxford/Cambs/Durham etc were actually illegitimate offspring or descendants thereof.

• SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,398
    Where's the fun in giving your first preference to either Labour or Conservative?

Lend your vote to one of the others and then get serious with your second preference.

Same with the other mayoral elections.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,920

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nice Oxford comma.

Commas
    Shirts
    Brogues
    Vaccines

Marmalade
    Accent

Bags (i.e. trousers)
    Movement.
    Two men died beneath the Mississippi moon.

Andy_JS said:

A remarkably dense decision by the CDU. It's a bit like an alternate history in which the Tories in 2019 plumped for Michael Gove to revive their fortunes instead of Boris...
    Would Michael Gove have kicked out half his own party and run on a Corbynite platform? Actually, given he too was under the spell of Dominic Cummings, quite possibly, but at least he'd have been embarrassed about it.

Where's the fun in giving your first preference to either Labour or Conservative?

Lend your vote to one of the others and then get serious with your second preference.

Shhh . That way leads to the election of Mayory McMayorface.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    kinabalu said:

Just skimmed the "rollonfriday" forum on this subject and came across the following comment from a poster called "BREXITBREXIT" (their caps).

"HE’S THE LEADER OF BREXIT BRITAIN AND A TOWERING COLOSSUS OF A MAN: IN MY ESTIMATION HE IS SIX FOOT TWO ALL MUSCLE."

Sound familiar?
    Is it you?

Considering that you tried to deny he was a 17.5 stone obese man?

And why do you want to start this convo again? 🤔
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,771
    Were we not expecting Khan to win this on the first round at one point? 41% for Labour in London doesn't seem that special although it will clearly be enough to win.
    DavidL said:

Were we not expecting Khan to win this on the first round at one point? 41% for Labour in London doesn't seem that special although it will clearly be enough to win.

The LibDems must be regretting not trying harder with a celebrity candidate.

kinabalu said:

Sound familiar?
    Is it you?

Oh god, please don't.

Sadly Piers Corbyn doesn't come last in that poll. The honour for that place is held by a Valerie Brown "Burning Pink" who none of the poll respondents chose.

Other candidates on just 2 in the poll sample were Vanessa Hudson and Steve Kelleher of the Animal Welfare and Social Democratic Parties. I think the race for last could be quite exciting.

If the poll is anything to go by then Count Binface (8 respondents) could finish ahead of Gammons (8), Fox (9) and maybe even Rose (13). Wouldn't that be fun?

What would be real fun is if this were STV.
    Not only would we have the joy of seeing whether Lozza fans would transfer to UKIP in enough numbers to overhaul Binface, and how many to Khan.
    But there'd be a profitable market on "next to be eliminated" over a dozen times and several days.

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nice Oxford comma.

Commas
    Shirts
    Brogues
    Vaccines

Marmalade
    Accent

Bags (i.e. trousers)
    Movement.
    Somebody 'll have to investigate soon.

Andy_JS said:

Would Michael Gove have kicked out half his own party and run on a Corbynite platform? Actually, given he too was under the spell of Dominic Cummings, quite possibly, but at least he'd have been embarrassed about it.
    Interesting maths to make Grieve and 20 other MPs undermining the Government "half his own party".

Considering the government then won an 80 seat majority, from starting with 42 MPs in your eyes, that's got to be the most remarkable success ever.

DavidL said:

The Tories must be regretting not trying harder to find a candidate.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Promising numbers in Chile for the Sinovac vaccine:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1384882774730022914/photo/1
    edited April 2021
    DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nice Oxford comma.

Commas
    Shirts
    Brogues
    Vaccines

Marmalade
    Accent

Bags (i.e. trousers)
    Movement.
    It'll be a tough case to crack though.

Everybody's got their heads bowed down.
    The Sun don't shine above the ground.

Forensics tough and no eye witnesses.

kinabalu said:

Sound familiar?
    Is it you?

No, don't worry, I don't, and I know it's not you. The style has nothing in common. Just amused to see another reference to him being "all muscle". You have backup.
    TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

Flashman makes four.

Not seen his ghost on here for a long time.
  • https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1384879200297963522

Only a matter of time before it gets leaked, it's going to be possibly juicy (or not)

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nice Oxford comma.

Commas
    Shirts
    Brogues
    Vaccines

Marmalade
    Accent

Bags (i.e. trousers)
    Movement.
    Clay.

So long as everyone doesn't do that. Risk of Mayor Binface if they do.
    edited April 2021
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nice Oxford comma.

Commas
    Shirts
    Brogues
    Vaccines

Marmalade
    Accent

Bags (i.e. trousers)
    Movement.
    Clay.
    And Ragwort.

Edit: literally so, a hybried from the Botanic Gardens spread by the railway lines.
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sound familiar?
    Is it you?

No, don't worry, I don't, and I know it's not you. The style has nothing in common. Just amused to see another reference to him being "all muscle". You have backup.
    I never said he was all muscle, I said I thought he was 17.5 stone. You think he's never been that heavy, I think you're deluded. Just look at some pictures, in the words of Biden "come on, man!"
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Continuing good news on the stats in the UK.

kinabalu said:

Sound familiar?
    Who knows, if BJ wasn't a shortarse tending to the flab he may not have been compelled to over compensate his way to greatness (or whatever the state it is that he's in). He could now be a willowy don living happily with his wife of 30 years in an old rectory painting watercolours in his spare time.
    dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nice Oxford comma.

Commas
    Shirts
    Brogues
    Vaccines

Marmalade
    Accent

Bags (i.e. trousers)
    Movement.
    It'll be a tough case to crack though.

Everybody's got their heads bowed down.
    The Sun don't shine above the ground.

Forensics tough and no eye witnesses.
    Great song. I didn't get my line quite right as I did it from my unreliable memory.

Of course given that I have a son going to Oxford and a wife who has had the Oxford vaccine my position as the dunce of the family (well deserved) has been confirmed.
    AlistairM said:

So far we are not seeing much of an increase from the schools going back and the opening on the 12th. Looking good so far. In other news, after a brief wobble last week, my Uni is now pressing ahead with full graduation in July (for both this year and last years graduates). Will be interesting to see what the take up is like, and whether we are truly with no restrictions by then.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574

Surely the rack would be a bit harsh, even for him ?
    I feel another song coming on.

Six feet six he stood on the ground
    Weighed 235 pounds.
    But I saw that giant of a man brought down to his knees by a thing called...

Passing skirt? Serial mendacity? Dodgy texting?
    No. These things revive and energise him.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

Flashman makes four.

I was talking about this the other day. Flashman and Master & Commander are omissions from my reading experience. I should remedy both, the latter first, I keep being told.

AlistairM said:

So far we are not seeing much of an increase from the schools going back and the opening on the 12th. Looking good so far. In other news, after a brief wobble last week, my Uni is now pressing ahead with full graduation in July (for both this year and last years graduates). Will be interesting to see what the take up is like, and whether we are truly with no restrictions by then.
    Positive tests by date of test are showing signs of flatlining again - on past form I'd expect to see this reflected in the headline figure (i.e. by reporting date) within a few days. Probably based on nothing more than increased testing in recent days and hopefully only temporary.
    kinabalu said:

Sound familiar?
    He was clearly one of the inspirations for the Men at Work song.

Andy_JS said:

Interesting maths to make Grieve and 20 other MPs undermining the Government "half his own party".

Considering the government then won an 80 seat majority, from starting with 42 MPs in your eyes, that's got to be the most remarkable success ever.
    If you'd gone to a proper school like Boris you'd know about hyperbowl.
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

Flashman makes four.

I was talking about this the other day. Flashman and Master & Commander are omissions from my reading experience. I should remedy both, the latter first, I keep being told.
    Caution - it is the first in a twenty novel sequence.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

They could have had an absolutely brilliant candidate. Instead they hounded him out of the party.
    66 constituency seats for the SNP seems really implausible.

I wonder how reliable the modelling in the constituency vote is at those extremes.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

They could have had an absolutely brilliant candidate. Instead they hounded him out of the party.
    Agree. Rory is a sad loss.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sound familiar?
    Is it you?

I never said he was all muscle, I said I thought he was 17.5 stone. You think he's never been that heavy, I think you're deluded. Just look at some pictures, in the words of Biden "come on, man!"
    The Girther Conspiracy is BACK on PB!!
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

Flashman makes four.

The Flashman novels are excellent, especially the earlier ones. Only Pratchett is consistently funnier.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

That's what happens when MPs vote against the whip on a matter of confidence.

Did you object to Major expelling Rupert Allason so vociferously?
    DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

Sound familiar?
    Is it you?

Oh god, please don't.
    Seconded, David. PB is at its worst when minor obsessions dominate. 6 months must pass before we again revisit the matter of the PM's muscle to fat ratio. And even that might be too soon.
    kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

Sound familiar?
    Is it you?

Oh god, please don't.
    Seconded, David. PB is at its worst when minor obsessions dominate. 6 months must pass before we again revisit the matter of the PM's muscle to fat ratio. And even that might be too soon.
    Maybe you should stop bringing your Girther Conspiracy back up again then? You started the convo, like last time.
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

Flashman makes four.

Can definitely recommend the Flashman books, although the first one is not the best. I was recommended to start with Flashman at the charge, but the order doesn't really matter that much.
    You will learn some very interesting history along the way...
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

Flashman makes four.

You should, and in that order. O'Brien is merely very readable, GMF is absolutely a master and a classic - better adventure than Fleming, as funny on occasion as Wodehouse (see, for example, the Madagascar state banquet in Flashman's Lady). And it's all about cavalry officers. His ww2 memoir Quartered Safe Out Here is outstanding too.

kinabalu said:

Sound familiar?
    Who knows, if BJ wasn't a shortarse tending to the flab he may not have been compelled to over compensate his way to greatness (or whatever the state it is that he's in). He could now be a willowy don living happily with his wife of 30 years in an old rectory painting watercolours in his spare time.
    With the kids at uni but always coming back in the hols and the family unit as strong as ever. It's a very nice thought indeed.
  • Andy_JS said:

Maybe the CDU (rather than worrying about tory leadership elections) remember the Schulz-Effekt from last time. Choosing Martin Schulz as chancellor candidate (rather than their leader at the time Sigmar Gabriel) gave the SPD an immediate, but temporary, 10 point boost in the polls. In the end they got pretty much exactly what the polls were showing before he was chosen.

Current polling (apart from one poll showing the Greens in the lead) is almost exactly the same as it was in the months before the coronavirus crisis really hit in March 2020. I doubt that having Söder as candidate would help the CDU that much, though it probably wouldn't hurt.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    dixiedean said:

I feel another song coming on.

Six feet six he stood on the ground
    Weighed 235 pounds.
    But I saw that giant of a man brought down to his knees by a thing called...

Passing skirt? Serial mendacity? Dodgy texting?
    No. These things revive and energise him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN3exiuyQJc

Every day at the Commons you'd see him arrive
    Stood five foot seven
    Weighed 245
    Slouched at the shoulder
    And wobbly at the hip
    Everybody knew that he needed a kip
    Big Boz,
    Big Boz,
    Big Bad Boz.
    "David Cameron and the great sell-out
    Why the humiliation of the former prime minister is a fitting end to an era of politics that turned the state into a business.
    By John Gray"

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2021/04/david-cameron-and-great-sell-out
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

That's what happens when MPs vote against the whip on a matter of confidence.

Did you object to Major expelling Rupert Allason so vociferously?
    Why should I have done? Rupert Allason was hardly a major figure of the sort the party desperately needs, like Rory Stewart, Phil Hammond, Amber Rudd or David Gauke.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,343

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nice Oxford comma.

Commas
    Shirts
    Brogues
    Vaccines

Marmalade
    Accent

Bags (i.e. trousers)
    Movement.
    Pass degree
    Morris Oxford

This discussion has been closed.