Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

US YouGov poll finds 36% of Americans saying the Royal Family is racist – just 19% say they aren’t –

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2021 in General
imageUS YouGov poll finds 36% of Americans saying the Royal Family is racist – just 19% say they aren’t – politicalbetting.com

The only other royal whose net favourability rating has been affected much by the Harry/Meghan interview is Prince Charles The Queen: +66 (+1) William: +60 (-5) Kate: +57 (n/c)Charles: +7 (-14)Camilla: -7 (-2)(Changes from 2nd Mar) https://t.co/JUZSctDufe pic.twitter.com/DQCDwgH7lK

Read the full story here

Comments

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2021
    First....to say England have won this T20.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    edited March 2021
    It's the OJ Simpson trial all over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaYsihcw_o0
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    The benefit of not saying who made racist comments is implying everyone is complicit. Very clever.

Though based on responses may just be part of US culture wars and presumption that aristocratic rich families probably a bit racist.
    edited March 2021
    I see the twitterati have reacted to the Mash Report (a show will piss poor ratings) getting cancelled with the tiresome and as unfunny as the Mash Report, that means Jim Davidson is coming back, followed by reruns of Bernard Manning, Alf Garnett.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Looks like both sides of the Atlantic are getting exactly what they want - a perfect win-win.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952
    File under WhoGivesAFuck.

• FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Because America hold the moral high ground ..............
    RH1992 said:

Testing through the roof, deaths to the floor (almost):

Soon it won't be a matter of who has had COVID, it will be a matter of who hasn't ever had a test.
    I've only had one test (negative), feel a bit left out!
    I haven't even that. I was exposed to somebody who potentially had COVID early on in the pandemic and isolated, but there weren't tests available at the time.
    Our cops kill white lasses.*

Their cops kill black guys.

I'm sure there must be a deeper truth there that requires some polling....

*allegedly

First....to say England have won this T20.

Don't blame me....
  • Pagan2 said:

Do we actually care what the most racist country in the west thinks about racism?

Yes, monarchists keep on telling us that the monarchy attracts tourists, especially American ones, now they'll visit less now that they know/think the Royals are racists.

So this is another reason to abolish the monarchy, if they don't bring tourists what's the bloody point of them?
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122
    Sandpit said:

30,000th!

So the earlier reports speculating as to your condition have happily proved to be false!
  • CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited March 2021
    If you post half of an opinion poll that agrees with you and the other half - which is important context - that doesn't, then yes you can absolutely misrepresent the truth with an opinion poll.

Goodwin did exactly this with the BLM polling, that was when I called him out for it and he blocked me.
    edited March 2021

Pagan2 said:

Do we actually care what the most racist country in the west thinks about racism?

Yes, monarchists keep on telling us that the monarchy attracts tourists, especially American ones, now they'll visit less now that they know/think the Royals are racists.

So this is another reason to abolish the monarchy, if they don't bring tourists what's the bloody point of them?
    I think you are mistaking the sort of Americans excited to come to the UK and visit Buck Palace and "London Bridge" as the same who see the world through prism of implied racism.

Pagan2 said:

You won't be saying that when the entire Deep South can holiday in the UK again.....
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited March 2021
    felix said:

Sandpit said:

30,000th!

So the earlier reports speculating as to your condition have happily proved to be false!
    The truth is I’ve been working on a new project for the last week or so, have been scrolling PB a few hours behind where time allows. Have little to say on the H&M crap, and utterly shocked - to the point of being completely lost for words - by the Sarah Everard case, if it turns out to be as reported.

Edit: and noticed that my next post was going to be a milestone, and trying to work out what to do with it!
    edited March 2021

Pagan2 said:

Ah, so when US tourists come flooding back to the UK - as they will - that means we can keep the monarchy? Wonderful.
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

At least a third of Americans think EVERYONE is racist, especially Americans, so this is hardly a huge surprise

Well to be fair, in the US that might not be a bad assumption...and not all white vs black.
  • Pagan2 said:

You won't be saying that when the entire Deep South can holiday in the UK again.....
    I love the Deep South.

Had wonderful experiences in NOLA before Katrina.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,629
    Sandpit said:

felix said:

Sandpit said:

30,000th!

The truth is I’ve been working on a new project for the last week or so, have been scrolling PB a few hours behind where time allows. Have little to say on the H&M crap, and utterly shocked - to the point of being completely lost for words - by the Sarah Everard case, if it turns out to be as reported.
    Why utterly shocked? Did you not think it possible that police could be just as criminal as the rest of us? For a lot of my 20's and thirties I took illicit drugs and most of us knew at least one copper supplying
    Leon said:
    Since when have the Tories had a rebrand and become the Teal party?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755
    That's quite the drop for Meghan and Harry, over the course of three years.
  • I see the twitterati have reacted to the Mash Report (a show will piss poor ratings) getting cancelled with the tiresome and as unfunny as the Mash Report, that means Jim Davidson is coming back, followed by reruns of Bernard Manning, Alf Garnett.

Well the BBC are airing Fawlty Towers on BBC1 on Monday at 8.30pm.

Lord know how they will show that unedited, I think every scene with the Major will have to be deleted.

Not sure how they will be able to get away with showing 'Flowery Twats' in one of the intros.
    Can we send Johnny Bairstow for hypnosis and convince him that when he is wearing white kit it is still a T20 international?
    they will dub over "dont mention the war" with "dont mention the jihad"?
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960
    Sandpit said:

felix said:

Sandpit said:

30,000th!

Edit: and noticed that my next post was going to be a milestone, and trying to work out what to do with it!
    Congratulations.

To paraphrase xkcd, just another 768 posts to go until you hit a real milestone.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    Seems like only yesterday that PBers were simpering like schoolgirls over who Biden was going to phone first, now it's who give a fuck what those crackers think. The world comes at you faster and faster.

I see the twitterati have reacted to the Mash Report (a show will piss poor ratings) getting cancelled with the tiresome and as unfunny as the Mash Report, that means Jim Davidson is coming back, followed by reruns of Bernard Manning, Alf Garnett.

Well the BBC are airing Fawlty Towers on BBC1 on Monday at 8.30pm.

Lord know how they will show that unedited, I think every scene with the Major will have to be deleted.

Not sure how they will be able to get away with showing 'Flowery Twats' in one of the intros.
    No wonder I never watch the BBC anymore.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    edited March 2021
    The Mash Report is another show a bit like Victoria Derbyshire show or in the US Brooklyn Nine Nine, very popular among a particular niche group, very popular with clips on twitter, but actual viewership very low.

So its cancelling is getting loads of coverage, way beyond its actual popularity. It ain't no GBB.

More upsetting for the oldies (the ones who watch the BBC), Egghead is going to Ch5.
    Why shouldnt you agree with someone when they are right?
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,080
    Pagan2 said:

As long as they only mention it once, they might get away with it.
  • https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1370401849178742787

This would have been woke a few years ago
  • Pagan2 said:

He's rarely right, that's why it is rare
  • Leon said:
    It's quite interesting if you look in detail as they are predicting a lot of churn with Cons making further red wall gains like Doncaster North, Wansbeck and Hemsworth, while Lab make gains in the south such as Wycombe, Hastings and Reading West. For example, they have Wansbeck as 73% Con gain, while Wycombe is 70% Lab gain

It's certainly possible but I'd like to know where they get their data from

Seems like only yesterday that PBers were simpering like schoolgirls over who Biden was going to phone first, now it's who give a fuck what those crackers think. The world comes at you faster and faster.

As is the case with anything to do with the royals as well, some people simpered, many more did not care, and others care until the outcome they expect does/does not happen. It wouldn't matter if he was called first, second or tenth, though I suppose 200th might matter.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    Leon said:
    If Johnson were confident of the accuracy of this model perhaps he should opt for a snap election in May, thereby giving himself a full five year term- before the ordure inevitably hits the air conditioning.

Pagan2 said:

As long as they only mention it once, they might get away with it.
    More to the point is why are the bbc once more repeating shows made 40 years ago instead of generating new content when they get more funding than people who are. I would have thought if I am honest most people who liked fawlty towers already have the box set
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Leon said:

At least a third of Americans think EVERYONE is racist, especially Americans, so this is hardly a huge surprise

If you lived in America it could be a reasonable assumption that there are racists everywhere.
    Comfortable, comprehensive victory. 🏏
  • Leon said:
    Canadians.

I believe some of the people behind that site also worked for Angus Reid.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,182

The Mash Report is another show a bit like Victoria Derbyshire show or in the US Brooklyn Nine Nine, very popular among a particular niche group, very popular with clips on twitter, but actual viewership very low.

So its cancelling is getting loads of coverage, way beyond its actual popularity. It ain't no GBB.

More upsetting for the oldies (the ones who watch the BBC), Egghead is going to Ch5.

Just one Egghead?
    I was on Eggheads once. We didn't win. I did beat my Egghead, but it was only Judith.
    Seems almost like one of those situations where as someone resigns over X, which the PM then says will be sorted, that he just wanted them to go and now it seems like they left for no reason.

Pagan2 said:

He's rarely right, that's why it is rare
    Well I tend to the view if someone is right in what they say I will agree with them even if most of what they say is abhorrent.
    Leon said:
    If that's even remotely accurate, it puts the constant, pettifogging carping from certain quarters into perspective. On that projection, the Tories aren't just winning right now, they're lapping their nearest competitor!
    Gosh they are realising we arent going back to normal?

Leon said:
    Canadians.

Coming over here, changing the things unnecessarily....next they will be bringing their disgusting Tim Horton's over here. Oh, wait...

Tim Hortons UK & Ireland said it hopes to open an outlet in "every major city and town" over the next two years.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54471843
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    There's a US poll from Morning Consult with interesting figures which seem to prove the adage that all publicity is good publicity.

https://morningconsult.com/2021/03/12/prince-harry-meghan-markle-popularity-interview-oprah/
    Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

felix said:

Sandpit said:

30,000th!

Why utterly shocked? Did you not think it possible that police could be just as criminal as the rest of us? For a lot of my 20's and thirties I took illicit drugs and most of us knew at least one copper supplying
    We all know stories of bent coppers doing all sorts of shit, but I don’t ever recall a story of a copper picking up a murder victim apparently off the street.

Serious questions for the Met to answer about a previous allegation of flashing, only a few days before, being apparently dealt with informally by the coppers investigating.

In a just world, we’d see Cressida “Brazilian Electrician” Dick and Sadiq Khan be held accountable for such a massive institutional failure, but the pair of them have spent their whole lives failing upwards, and I sadly don’t see that changing.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    Why is Johnson in a white lab coat? I thought high visibility lime green was his colour.
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,920
    Mixed results in the Scottish by-elections. Con gain from SNP in Borders, SNP hold in West Lothian, and Ind gain from Con in Highlands. In the latter case it may have helped that the Indie was called Fraser and the Conservative Berkenheger.
    edited March 2021
    Pagan2 said:

As I said my employer is actively planning for a major shift from pre covid working patterns

Edited - that was quite the typo :smiley:
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1370401849178742787

Really?? I struggle to believe anyone on here would have objected to this even 15 years ago.
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Indeed, it's a relatively recent view that sexual preference is immutable whilst gender is not.
    edited March 2021
    Floater said:

Pagan2 said:

As I said my employer is actively planning for a major shit from pre covid working patterns
    A major shit.....crickey that bad.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    FPT
    FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Actually, I think the EU will do fine, just as the UK would have done fine if the EU hadn't helpfully provided us with their early vaccines. There are plenty of vaccines coming down the pike everywhere and once you have vaccinated your own people you are relaxed about allowing your supply to go to other countries.

The eu didnt provide us with anything Pfizer provided us with the vaccines we had contracted for. Simple as that
    The EU acted against its own interest in not securing those vaccine doses. The point I am making is that UK success, defined as being quicker than other countries, particularly the EU, depends on the EU not securing its own supply.

Fine. The UK was lucky and people in the EU are pissed off, hence Charles Michel's pretence that it was act of international sovereignty rather than EU incompetence. Nobody is buying that.

If the EU had been more competent, the UK would have had 3 million doses rather than 11 million in February, but domestic supply would ramp up and a couple of months later the UK would have plenty of supply, just as the EU looks like it will have plenty of supply. So what's the big deal?

The further comment I would make is that the lesson people will take from this is that the vaccine programme success demonstrates "the superiority of the Brexit system" (old Communist terminology). But as it is something of a prisoners' dilemma, I should also mention the unspoken more fundamental truth of that analogy: if you are going to betray your fellow prisoners make sure you get away and never see them again, otherwise they will beat you up. Brexit, at least of the aggressive kind pursued by our government, only works as a strategy if you never have any dependencies on the EU. January's truly grim trade figures show the limitations of that approach.
    I think it would have been perfectly possible to do an EU version of the elements of supply chain and distribution infrastructure that was done here across the EU-27, but one crucial mistake was that the EU-programme focus was on *buying* vaccines (that did not exist yet) like packs of bulk sausages from Aldi, whereas on this occasion the focus should have been on *creating* vaccines.

For me that is the biggest failure in this.

And because EC believe in a sort of moral superiority, it has been floudering and hitting out everywhere rather than realising that the "halo" is just a projection.
    I disagree with you on this, however. The constraint with early vaccine supply everywhere is limited production capacity, not investment. The UK "bought up" early EU supplies ahead of the EU itself. That's why it had those 8 million extra doses in February that weren't available to the EU. The hundreds of millions of doses that will turn up in Q2 do come from investment - they are not produced within existing capacity - but by then hopefully there won't be any quantity constraints,
    Gosh don't you talk a total load of bollocks, the UK invested in setting up manufacturers too it didn't just buy up vaccine supplies
    Hmm.

The UK invested in production facilities through its contracts, hence the many millions of domestically produced doses coming on stream that I referred to. The EU has done the same.

However the 8 million doses supplied from the EU in February, against 11 million doses administered, would have gone to EU use if the EC had been more effective in securing its supply. I am OK with this, not least because I am hoping to get a vaccination soon.
    That's not actually true. One of the criticisms of the EU by the vaccine manufacturers is that they were unwilling to invest in R&D over and above the actual cost of the vaccines. The UK and US spent many, many times more on R&D than the EU during 2020. It was not just about price per shot it was actual up front investment in the R&D. Something the EU were unwilling to do.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Floater said:

Pagan2 said:

As I said my employer is actively planning for a major shit from pre covid working patterns
    A major shit.....crickey that bad.
    He got the GI infection version of COVID.
    Floater said:

Pagan2 said:

Has he been constipated that long?
    edited March 2021

I'm a big fan of Brooklyn Nine Nine - when it was first cancelled, and then swiftly revived, it was complete news to me that it was popular for, as the article said at the time 'intersectional representation and inclusive humour. If I were summarsing it and its strengths, that would not even have occurred to me, and it makes it sound crap.

One reason I like it is that it doesn't bash over the head, with a lot of what might annoy people as overly woke stuff being in either episodes specifically about that (and in the grand tradition of TV 'very special episodes', are not usually as good) or in understated aside based comic moments which might not be for everyone, but mean the actual core of the show - character and situational comedy, is not overshadowed.

If it is designed to woke things up it is more effective for it because I don't feel constantly lectured by it.
    edited March 2021

Brooklyn Nine Nine is one of the best comedies on TV now.

The Mash Report is not.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    Who cares what Americans think about our royal family? They got rid of them 250 years ago. They don't care what we think of their Presidents.

Notable partisan divide though, Democrats think the royals are racist, Republicans think they are not

Pagan2 said:

Well, annoying you seems a bloody good reason.
    Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Pagan2 said:

I hate my keyboard..........

• There's a US poll from Morning Consult with interesting figures which seem to prove the adage that all publicity is good publicity.

https://morningconsult.com/2021/03/12/prince-harry-meghan-markle-popularity-interview-oprah/

What a weird poll. Why would they ask favourable feel towards a baby?
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

There's a US poll from Morning Consult with interesting figures which seem to prove the adage that all publicity is good publicity.

An advertisement for the vacuity of opinion polling. On what basis were these people making "favourability" judgments on William and Harry's young children? The mind boggles.
    edited March 2021

One things - asked about favourable or non favourable opinion of the royal family, which includes Oprah?

Edit: Misread.

And who has favourable or unfavourable views of a child, really?
    edited March 2021

The Mash Report is not.
    That may be the case, but it got very poor ratings, 2-3 million views....although it was claimed there was good viewership from reruns on streaming services, which some who love the show said that means it is actually quietly much more popular....or it could be that people who really like it, watch it again and again.

However, to put in context, Young Sheldon, the piss poor spin-off of Big Bang Theory, gets 9 million on live viewing and loads of rerun viewership.

The reason its been canned twice is not enough people watch it.
    Sandpit said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

felix said:

Sandpit said:

30,000th!

We all know stories of bent coppers doing all sorts of shit, but I don’t ever recall a story of a copper picking up a murder victim apparently off the street.

Serious questions for the Met to answer about a previous allegation of flashing, only a few days before, being apparently dealt with informally by the coppers investigating.

In a just world, we’d see Cressida “Brazilian Electrician” Dick and Sadiq Khan be held accountable for such a massive institutional failure, but the pair of them have spent their whole lives failing upwards, and I sadly don’t see that changing.
    Most coppers I know aren't to bothered by a little low level corruption but they wouldn't turn a blind eye to murder. A little weed never gets to the evidence locker or a few baggies of coke yes. Murder and rape no
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    edited March 2021

Does anyone really believe that just 16% of US adults have never heard of Camilla Parker Bowles?

Edit to add: of course the numbers are skewed by the fact this is only people who watched the interview.
    Endillion said:

Really?? I struggle to believe anyone on here would have objected to this even 15 years ago.
    I think many would have objected, but nowhere near as many would consider a ban proportionate.

The Mash Report is not.
    That may be the case, but it got very poor ratings, 2-3 million views....although it was claimed there was good viewership from reruns, which some who love the show said that means it is actually quietly much more popular.

However, to put in context, Young Sheldon, the piss poor spin-off of Big Bang Theory, gets 9 million on live viewing and loads of rerun viewership.

The reason its been canned twice is people don't watch it enough.
    Nine Nine is definitely the better of the two shows. I know it changed networks a few years back, no idea how that affects its ratings.

Since Big Bang got cancelled Nine Nine would probably be my favourite regular comedy series.
    kle4 said:

Endillion said:

I think many would have objected, but nowhere near as many would consider a ban proportionate.
    I've not looked into what's being banned, to be honest I didn't think we had this much in this country I thought it was more of an American thing.

If its for children etc and like what gets reported out of America I'd definitely ban it - its a form of child abuse.
    edited March 2021

The Mash Report is not.
    That may be the case, but it got very poor ratings, 2-3 million views....although it was claimed there was good viewership from reruns, which some who love the show said that means it is actually quietly much more popular.

Nine Nine is definitely the better of the two shows. I know it changed networks a few years back, no idea how that affects its ratings.

Since Big Bang got cancelled Nine Nine would probably be my favourite regular comedy series.
    The network change initially saw a bit of a boost, but then it fell back down to the same sort of level, hence why its gone again.

My point wasn't if it was good or not, it was more it got a disappropriate amount of coverage when cancelled compared to its actual viewership, same as Mash Report. And that is down to it being very popular among a niche demographic, young twitterati, who work the news rooms covering entertainment.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,457

Leon said:
    Canadians.

Coming over here, changing the things unnecessarily....next they will be bringing their disgusting Tim Horton's over here. Oh, wait...

Tim Hortons UK & Ireland said it hopes to open an outlet in "every major city and town" over the next two years.

That's great news. We're desperately short of outlets to buy coffee and doughnuts.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    edited March 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Does anyone really believe that just 16% of US adults have never heard of Camilla Parker Bowles?

Impressively, it looks like there are people who have never heard of Prince Harry or Meghan Markle even after having watched the interview.

The Mash Report is not.

The network change initially saw a bit of a boost, but then it fell back down to the same sort of level, hence why its gone again.
    Oh I didn't realise it was gone again. That's a shame, but its been on a while. I'm behind on the series waiting for the next season to come to Netflix.

Leon said:
    Canadians.

That's great news. We're desperately short of outlets to buy coffee and doughnuts.
    Tim Hortons are great. I love their Timbits. 😋

kle4 said:

Endillion said:

I've not looked into what's being banned, to be honest I didn't think we had this much in this country I thought it was more of an American thing.

If its for children etc and like what gets reported out of America I'd definitely ban it - its a form of child abuse.
    It tends to be more towards the extreme excorsim or cult sort of thing. Its not pleasant either way
  • Leon said:
    It's quite interesting if you look in detail as they are predicting a lot of churn with Cons making further red wall gains like Doncaster North, Wansbeck and Hemsworth, while Lab make gains in the south such as Wycombe, Hastings and Reading West. For example, they have Wansbeck as 73% Con gain, while Wycombe is 70% Lab gain

It's certainly possible but I'd like to know where they get their data from
    The other weird thing is that they have the Cons making gains in the North while they think Reform will pick up all the votes of the Brexit party (highly unlikely)

For example, Sheffield South East:

2019: Lab 46, Con 36, Brexit 11
    Their prediction: Con 43, Lab 42, Reform 10

It would be very interesting to see some polling with 2019 Brexit party voters. If we assume that Reform will be a damp squib then where those voters move next time could make a real difference in the Red wall.
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,920

Leon said:
    If that's even remotely accurate, it puts the constant, pettifogging carping from certain quarters into perspective. On that projection, the Tories aren't just winning right now, they're lapping their nearest competitor!
    Agreed there are some very strange projections there. Conservatives to win both Hull East and Hull West and Hessle? Also I can't see which would be the Lib Dems gains. Wimbledon?
    Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Endillion said:

It tends to be more towards the extreme excorsim or cult sort of thing. Its not pleasant either way
    Yep the things I've seen from the States are horrific abuse, certainly not something to be allowed.

I'm shocked to find that was even happening in this country to be honest. Unpleasant.

The Mash Report is not.
    That may be the case, but it got very poor ratings, 2-3 million views....although it was claimed there was good viewership from reruns on streaming services, which some who love the show said that means it is actually quietly much more popular....or it could be that people who really like it, watch it again and again.

Sure, but it got to 5 seasons before being cancelled the first time, and then renewed a further 3 times. Unpopular shows, even if critically acclaimed, don't make it to 8 seasons, and most shows are not TBBT or a spin off of it.

So it was never the most popular show on television, but enough watched it to make it profitable to maintain for 8 years.

And really, it's a very rare show to make it beyond 4-5 and still be any good.
    edited March 2021

The Mash Report is not.

Oh I didn't realise it was gone again. That's a shame, but its been on a while. I'm behind on the series waiting for the next season to come to Netflix.
    Surprised you missed that news. It was a major story on the BBC and Guardian, moaning the passing of what was clearly one of their favourite shows and then discussing (in their opinion) all the crucial diversity elements to it that aren't widespread enough in other shows.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    kle4 said:

One things - asked about favourable or non favourable opinion of the royal family, which includes Oprah?

Edit: Misread.

And who has favourable or unfavourable views of a child, really?
    I think a few people here have a hugely favourable view of royal sprogs even before they're born. The bloke on the left is a regular at royal confinements I think (though not actually 'at' them thank Christ).

Floater said:

Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Pagan2 said:

I hate my keyboard..........

Why? It's a master of comic timing after all.
    edited March 2021
    He's right, its not a small impact its a bloody big wonderful impact. Less commuting, less pollution, better work/life balance.

But I find it somewhat hypocritical for Sunak and Johnson to be worrying about changes in working practices when they represent a party that saw the most radical (and necessary) overhaul of working practices in a century during the Thatcher era. I am sure coal miners, steel workers and ship builders will all be surprised to see the concern being expressed for those running coffee shops and bagel bars.

As an aside the North Sea has lost over 120,000 jobs since 2015. Not much concern expressed for all those workers in what used to be a vital part of the economy. Nor do I expect there should be. The world changes. The job of Government is to help the country adapt to those changes, not to stand against them like a Cnut. (Thankfully spellchecker didn't try to correct that one)

FPT

FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Actually, I think the EU will do fine, just as the UK would have done fine if the EU hadn't helpfully provided us with their early vaccines. There are plenty of vaccines coming down the pike everywhere and once you have vaccinated your own people you are relaxed about allowing your supply to go to other countries.

The eu didnt provide us with anything Pfizer provided us with the vaccines we had contracted for. Simple as that
    The EU acted against its own interest in not securing those vaccine doses. The point I am making is that UK success, defined as being quicker than other countries, particularly the EU, depends on the EU not securing its own supply.

Fine. The UK was lucky and people in the EU are pissed off, hence Charles Michel's pretence that it was act of international sovereignty rather than EU incompetence. Nobody is buying that.

If the EU had been more competent, the UK would have had 3 million doses rather than 11 million in February, but domestic supply would ramp up and a couple of months later the UK would have plenty of supply, just as the EU looks like it will have plenty of supply. So what's the big deal?

The further comment I would make is that the lesson people will take from this is that the vaccine programme success demonstrates "the superiority of the Brexit system" (old Communist terminology). But as it is something of a prisoners' dilemma, I should also mention the unspoken more fundamental truth of that analogy: if you are going to betray your fellow prisoners make sure you get away and never see them again, otherwise they will beat you up. Brexit, at least of the aggressive kind pursued by our government, only works as a strategy if you never have any dependencies on the EU. January's truly grim trade figures show the limitations of that approach.
    I think it would have been perfectly possible to do an EU version of the elements of supply chain and distribution infrastructure that was done here across the EU-27, but one crucial mistake was that the EU-programme focus was on *buying* vaccines (that did not exist yet) like packs of bulk sausages from Aldi, whereas on this occasion the focus should have been on *creating* vaccines.

For me that is the biggest failure in this.

And because EC believe in a sort of moral superiority, it has been floudering and hitting out everywhere rather than realising that the "halo" is just a projection.
    I disagree with you on this, however. The constraint with early vaccine supply everywhere is limited production capacity, not investment. The UK "bought up" early EU supplies ahead of the EU itself. That's why it had those 8 million extra doses in February that weren't available to the EU. The hundreds of millions of doses that will turn up in Q2 do come from investment - they are not produced within existing capacity - but by then hopefully there won't be any quantity constraints,
    Gosh don't you talk a total load of bollocks, the UK invested in setting up manufacturers too it didn't just buy up vaccine supplies
    Hmm.

The UK invested in production facilities through its contracts, hence the many millions of domestically produced doses coming on stream that I referred to. The EU has done the same.

However the 8 million doses supplied from the EU in February, against 11 million doses administered, would have gone to EU use if the EC had been more effective in securing its supply. I am OK with this, not least because I am hoping to get a vaccination soon.
    That's not actually true. One of the criticisms of the EU by the vaccine manufacturers is that they were unwilling to invest in R&D over and above the actual cost of the vaccines. The UK and US spent many, many times more on R&D than the EU during 2020. It was not just about price per shot it was actual up front investment in the R&D. Something the EU were unwilling to do.
    The EU saw an internal fight for vaccines coming, and wanted to head that off by running a central scheme.

But they’d never procured pharmaceutical products before, assumed they were an “alpha” purchaser, and argued over price and liability with the providers.

Meanwhile, the UK and USA, alongside small rich countries like Israel and UAE, proactively engaged with the vaccine manufacturers around expanding manufacturing capability and research data, argued about delivery schedules - and didn’t care for price nor liability in the face of a pandemic.

The EU belatedly worked all this out, and are furious that they played it wrong. Add a fair bit of Brexit fury and a fair bit of “Big Pharma” lobbying money having an interest in dissing the non-profit AZ vaccine effort, and we are where we are...
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,007
    *Sigh*

Thanks Harry.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Leon said:
    Canadians.

Don't knock it. Each coffee shop means one less place to put a bloody charity tat store instead.
    kle4 said:

The Mash Report is not.

Sure, but it got to 5 seasons before being cancelled the first time, and then renewed a further 3 times. Unpopular shows, even if critically acclaimed, don't make it to 8 seasons, and most shows are not TBBT or a spin off of it.

So it was never the most popular show on television, but enough watched it to make it profitable to maintain for 8 years.

And really, it's a very rare show to make it beyond 4-5 and still be any good.
    I think I would maintain that, for all that I absolutely loved the series, TBBT probably went on about 1 or 2 seasons too long.
This discussion has been closed.