Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Things to look forward to in 2021: An exciting by-election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    edited March 2021

tlg86 said:

On NHS pay, I heard the PM say that the number of nurses in the NHS has gone up 10,000 in the last year. It's actually 13,313:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/record-numbers-of-doctors-and-nurses-working-in-the-nhs

I wonder how much of that is due to a lack of options? As difficult as it has been for many on the front line, they still have a job.

If anyone asks me how much anyone should be paid, my answer will always be "whatever it takes to get the desired quantity and quality of staff."

There is also the issues that ~£35k a year average nurse salary is double Portugal, significantly more than Spain, before you even consider further afield. And is higher than Germany (although big variations and all sorts of other factors).

I believe Portugal has been particularly hard hit by medical staff leaving for the rest of Europe.

Now that isn't to say 1% is enough, but it isn't simple as I will leave Brexit Britain for massively better pay, as the really big payers isn't trivial to move to in the way it was to go from some countries in Europe to UK.
    One consideration will be that more people starting out are planning for more secure careers - which means Public Sector and especially medical.

Nursing Degree Applications are up by a third on last year.

That will help numbers grow in the medium term. And the current Govt are roughly on track for their "50k extra nurses in the NHS".

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/feb/18/demand-for-uk-nursing-degrees-rises-by-a-third-in-pandemic

Rationally, that should reduce the need for larger pay awards.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Foxy said:

I didn't expect Leicester 10 points ahead of Liverpool with 10 games to go, particularly with our injury crisis as it is.

That's probably the end of Liverpool's tilt at the top 4. West Ham and Everton both have two games in hand over them (and so for that matter do Spurs and Villa, who are only just behind.)

In fact, with their recent record being as bad as Sheffield's, they could end up behind Arsenal and Leeds as well if they're not careful. What's wrong with them God alone knows.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330

Leon said:

Are Liverpool deliberately trying to lose these days?

Hey mate I want to apologise for being a bit shouty yesterday. Lockdown is getting to me. I've had enough and I get snappy.

Anyway, soz boz apolibobs
    NP....to add to your ever expanding knowledge of AI.....some more reading material.

OPENAI DISCOVERS ARTIFICIAL NEURON ONLY EVER SEEN IN THE HUMAN BRAIN

https://openai.com/blog/multimodal-neurons/

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/artificial-intelligence-openai-elon-musk-ai-neuron-b1813106.html
    Christ. I just read the first one

I know I promised not to mention this again today, but wow

"Indeed, we were surprised to find many of these categories appear to mirror neurons in the medial temporal lobe documented in epilepsy patients with intracranial depth electrodes. These include neurons that respond to emotions,18 animals,19 and famous people."

GPT3 is epileptic.

(I mean, I know it isn't really, but it is simulating epilepsy)

Jaw drop

The pictures are incredible too. Uncanny Valley. Again
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303

Leon said:

Day after vaccine. Feeling distinctly ropey. Guess the good news is it is doing something to my immune system.

Almost everyone I know who has had the AZ jab has experienced some unpleasant side effects - generally like a mild one/two day flu. Only one did not, and she is a recovering cancer patient (so it was quite unexpected)

I'm not greatly looking forward to this downer, but who cares, Give me freedom
    It's not too bad. I'll take a day or so of this over living in France and being locked down until March 2022!
    Keep positive fella. The more of us (on PB and in the wider community and round the world) are vaccinated, the better.

But here's a thought. We should be back to normal or close by the summer, while France are still arguing about whether AZ is potentially less useful than powdered rhinocerous horn. That is not going to play well with the French, particularly if many British second home owners turn up looking unbearably smug.

At what point is it going to become untenable to maintain restrictions even though they are so far behind on vaccinations - and everyone bursts out causing a huge spike in infections, hospitalisations and deaths?

I'm thinking this could alter the 'covid league tables,' and not in a good way.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820

Foxy said:

I didn't expect Leicester 10 points ahead of Liverpool with 10 games to go, particularly with our injury crisis as it is.

I don't see how Liverpool can get Top 4 from here; incredible to think we were top of the table at Christmas.
    It's inexplicable. At this rate top half of the table is the best that can be hoped for, as it has gone well beyond a mere bad run of form.

The club won't stand for it, and for some reason Klopp seems to have lost the players or the plot, so the sniping will begin. Gone by next season.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Day after vaccine. Feeling distinctly ropey. Guess the good news is it is doing something to my immune system.

Almost everyone I know who has had the AZ jab has experienced some unpleasant side effects - generally like a mild one/two day flu. Only one did not, and she is a recovering cancer patient (so it was quite unexpected)

I'm not greatly looking forward to this downer, but who cares, Give me freedom
    It's not too bad. I'll take a day or so of this over living in France and being locked down until March 2022!
    Keep positive fella. The more of us (on PB and in the wider community and round the world) are vaccinated, the better.

But here's a thought. We should be back to normal or close by the summer, while France are still arguing about whether AZ is potentially less useful than powdered rhinocerous horn. That is not going to play well with the French, particularly if many British second home owners turn up looking unbearably smug.

At what point is it going to become untenable to maintain restrictions even though they are so far behind on vaccinations - and everyone bursts out causing a huge spike in infections, hospitalisations and deaths?

I'm thinking this could alter the 'covid league tables,' and not in a good way.
    A good way for the UK.....
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,199
    LOL Sky reporting '0 deaths' today

The website makes it clear that the number of deaths is not yet available and will be updated later!
    See the top of the webpage

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Case fall starting to slow - although not a massive surprise given we're now at the point where false positives could well be a pretty healthy part of the total given we're now pushing up towards a million tests a day.

As long as Zoe and hospitals continue to fall it's fine, but it may be official 'case' numbers get stuck until the testing mania dies down.
  • Options
    Pointless bureacracy no. 174b

I have just entered my first LFT result on the NHS website.

They have just texted and emailed me to say I tested negative.

I already knew that, actually, on account of, y'know, HAVING DONE THE FECKING TEST MYSELF.

What is the point of telling me what I already know?

And what is the cost?
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547

Foxy said:

That's probably the end of Liverpool's tilt at the top 4. West Ham and Everton both have two games in hand over them (and so for that matter do Spurs and Villa, who are only just behind.)

In fact, with their recent record being as bad as Sheffield's, they could end up behind Arsenal and Leeds as well if they're not careful. What's wrong with them God alone knows.
    There’s about to be some serious value in better on Liverpool to win football matches. Things in football tend to return to the mean.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Foxy said:

It's worth remembering the way things went at Dortmund:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_Borussia_Dortmund_season#Results_by_round

They were rock bottom after 19 games. They turned it around in the second half of the season, but it was clear that they were suffering from years of running for Klopp.

The Liverpool players look completely shot to pieces.
  • Options
    felix said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Really? This seems like an error by Her Maj. Gives the impression the monarchy is rattled. Not good

https://twitter.com/MENnewsdesk/status/1368525578618421248?s=20

It also implies there might be something explosive in the Oprah stuff

It’s Commonwealth Day, in lieu of the usual services. I think it’s been planned for a while.
    Can't recall such an address before, and if it has indeed been planned it has not been well publicised.
    It was mentioned at least a week ago and solely in relation to Commonwealth Day.
    They need to hire Harry and Meghan's publicist then as I'd heard nothing and indeed thoughe the interview must have been broadcast days ago.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360
    My brother just told me that its only the second time Fulham have ever won at Liverpool . 6th home defeat on the trot for Liverpool. Klopp must be looking over his shoulder.. Game on fir all the other teams trying to get into Europe.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Case fall starting to slow - although not a massive surprise given we're now at the point where false positives could well be a pretty healthy part of the total given we're now pushing up towards a million tests a day.

As long as Zoe and hospitals continue to fall it's fine, but it may be official 'case' numbers get stuck until the testing mania dies down.

The first school test results will have been going in over the last four days as well.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    A lovely sight.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

A lovely sight.

Unexpectedly strong result for the Greens increases pressure on Sir Keir Starmer.
    Greens and Sinn Fein apparently
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

maaarsh said:

The first school test results will have been going in over the last four days as well.
    Yep, and if the government's own estimate for the false positive rates on those tests are right, the case numbers will rise even if no one actually has it.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    DEATHS WRONG - there's a glitch which will be updated:

• Options

A lovely sight.

That's still yesterday's map, takes a while to update.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

A lovely sight.

Unexpectedly strong result for the Greens increases pressure on Sir Keir Starmer.
    Surprisingly strong performance from Sinn Fein in the Red Wall.
    Not as strong as the Cons in the inner cities.

CONS GAIN BOOTLE.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    delete
  • Options

Zero Covid deaths reported in today's stats.

If only it weren't down to doctors who can't get their pen out and sign a death certificate on a weekend....

It's a glitch. The number isn't really zero. There's a warning at the top of the dashboard page: "Owing to processing issues for deaths in England, the numbers of deaths throughout the UK will be updated later. In the meantime, the number of newly reported deaths for 7 March 2021 may incorrectly show as zero."
  • Options
    England hospitals now at 8k (a few days ago) vs 34k at peak, and 18k at peak of first wave, emptying out much faster than last spring.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

A lovely sight.

CONS GAIN BOOTLE.
    Fascinating to think it's not that long ago that Bootle was such a safe Tory seat that Thomas Sandys was frequently unopposed.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

A lovely sight.

CONS GAIN BOOTLE.
    Fascinating to think it's not that long ago that Bootle was such a safe Tory seat that Thomas Sandys was frequently unopposed.
    The more startling result is the Cons winning the central belt in Scotland. Not an SNP seat in sight.

It's an omen, I tell yer.....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

A lovely sight.

CONS GAIN BOOTLE.
    The funny thing is in some of these ultra ultra safe seats they might have been competitive not that long ago, but I bet most people in the seat don't remember or would believe it.

I see they also had an MP named Chichester de Windt Crookshank. I don't care what party someone is part of, I'd vote for an awesome name like that.
  • Options
    Partial update on the Covid dashboard today - they're having issues with the death figures from England so that metric will be updated later. In the meantime, the seven day average case rate keeps plummeting, at least while we don't have the schools to cope with: down from 84.4 per 100k on Thursday, to 79.7 on Friday, to 73.1 on Saturday, to 69.0 today.

The current case rate in the district where I live stands at 32.9 and has halved in a week. Rates are down below 50 per 100k in most local authority areas South of the Thames and in Wales, as well as across large tracts of East Anglia and rural Scotland.
  • Options

If only it weren't down to doctors who can't get their pen out and sign a death certificate on a weekend....

It's a glitch. The number isn't really zero. There's a warning at the top of the dashboard page: "Owing to processing issues for deaths in England, the numbers of deaths throughout the UK will be updated later. In the meantime, the number of newly reported deaths for 7 March 2021 may incorrectly show as zero."
    Positive tests still down to barely 5 in a 1,000. Which must be false positives territory....
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    ydoethur said:

Pointless bureacracy no. 174b

I have just entered my first LFT result on the NHS website.

They have just texted and emailed me to say I tested negative.

I already knew that, actually, on account of, y'know, HAVING DONE THE FECKING TEST MYSELF.

What is the point of telling me what I already know?

And what is the cost?

The system would already have been setup to send results. Probably cheaper and more reliable to still automatically send them than to filter whether to send it or not.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Slow handclap for the EU, France and Germany

Way to go .... dickheads

https://twitter.com/ThatRyanChap/status/1368562202932809730
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    I see the Peace and Justice Project doing important humanitarian work....

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1368544963282145283?s=19
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,234
    ydoethur said:

A lovely sight.

It's all over for Labour. Merthyr, Caerphilly and Blaenau Gwent have all gone Tory!
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

England hospitals now at 8k (a few days ago) vs 34k at peak, and 18k at peak of first wave, emptying out much faster than last spring.

The UK number is a little under 11k but hasn't been updated since the 3rd. Hopefully when we get past the weekend and they catch up on their figures, the number of hospital patients will be down into four figures.
  • Options

Positive tests still down to barely 5 in a 1,000. Which must be false positives territory....
    They don't update number of tests each day, actual number of tests will be a bit lower for today - but we're definitely at the stage where false positives are somewhere between 20-60% of the total depending on the assumption you take. A bit concerning there are now stories of families being being told to isolate after a positive LFT followed up by a negative PCR.
  • Options
  • Options

maaarsh said:

The UK number is a little under 11k but hasn't been updated since the 3rd. Hopefully when we get past the weekend and they catch up on their figures, the number of hospital patients will be down into four figures.
    Unless there has been a massive increase in Scotland & Wales, it definitely is already just based on the more timely and competent English data
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Floater said:

Way to go .... dickheads

twitter.com/ThatRyanChap/status/1368562202932809730

Why is Moderna not very popular? Its the same approach as Pfizer.
  • Options

Jezza once again with his finger on the pulse of public opinion.
  • Options
    "Live" seems to have taken on a different meaning
  • Options

Jezza once again with his finger on the pulse of public opinion.
    Yes I am sure if the dog and duck was open all they would be talking about is an obscure new news channel that will be on less hours a day than BBC Three.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    edited March 2021

Floater said:

Way to go .... dickheads

Not Invented Here?
  • Options

Floater said:

Way to go .... dickheads

Not Invented Here?
    Not invented by Boris?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    Everton have still won more games and scored more goals at Anfield than LFC in 2021.
  • Options

I still think the url being 'TheCorbynProject' rather gives the game away about the focus of the organisation.

And yes I made a similar point on Tony Blair Institute.
  • Options

Floater said:

Way to go .... dickheads

Not much profile - and very few shots given compared to the other two.
  • Options
    Incidentally, has anyone yet worked out how not showing whether an area has 0, 1 or 2 cases protects anyone's identity?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    kle4 said:

felix said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Really? This seems like an error by Her Maj. Gives the impression the monarchy is rattled. Not good

It’s Commonwealth Day, in lieu of the usual services. I think it’s been planned for a while.
    Can't recall such an address before, and if it has indeed been planned it has not been well publicised.
    It was mentioned at least a week ago and solely in relation to Commonwealth Day.
    They need to hire Harry and Meghan's publicist then as I'd heard nothing and indeed thoughe the interview must have been broadcast days ago.
    H&M interview being broadcast today in USA(?)

It's just that we have been talking about it.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    Leon said:

It will surely go down as one of the stupidest unforced errors in the history of Public Health. What were they thinking? Macron, Merkel, all of them. Truly truly bizarre, and completely unnecessary. They gained absolutely nothing, and they have killed people

I still don't really understand WHY they did it, apart from some kind of petty spite against Britain because Brexit, and Astra-Zeneca because failed deliveries - but the UK suffered those as well, and we didn't then denounce the vaccine as ineffective to "get at" the company.

MAD
    Can you imagine if it had been Boris that had done it?!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Everton have still won more games and scored more goals at Anfield than LFC in 2021.

Haven't everyone?

I'd imagine LFC would be close to the relegation zone for 2021 so far.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987

dixiedean said:

Haven't everyone?

Although arranging for your next home game to be in Budapest is the kind of lateral thinking that may do the trick.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    Was that their reaction to Rangers win or the new Panelbase poll today?
  • Options
    This isn't going to help the PR battle in Europe....

Austria has suspended vaccinations with a batch of AstraZeneca's coronavirus jabs as a precaution following the death of one person and the illness of another after the shots.

A 49-year-old woman died as a result of severe coagulation disorders, while another 35-year-old woman developed a pulmonary embolism, an acute lung disease caused by a dislodged blood clot, and is recovering, the Federal Office for Safety in Health Care (BASG) said.
  • Options
  • Options
    kle4 said:

felix said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1367872671518765062?s=20
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    edited March 2021

Austria has suspended vaccinations with a batch of AstraZeneca's coronavirus jabs as a precaution following the death of one person and the illness of another after the shots.

A 49-year-old woman died as a result of severe coagulation disorders, while another 35-year-old woman developed a pulmonary embolism, an acute lung disease caused by a dislodged blood clot, and is recovering, the Federal Office for Safety in Health Care (BASG) said.

"Currently, there is no evidence of a causal relationship with vaccination. Based on the known clinical data, a causal relationship cannot be established, as thrombotic events in particular are not among the known or typical side effects of the vaccine in question."

https://www.basg.gv.at/en/market-surveillance/official-announcements/detail/zwischenfaelle-nach-impfung-mit-covid-19-impfstoff-von-astrazeneca
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    HYUFD said:
    Er, Loz. The schools ARE opening tomorrow ...
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Er, Loz. The schools ARE opening tomorrow ...
    Finger on the pulse there Loz. 😂
  • Options

"Currently, there is no evidence of a causal relationship with vaccination. Based on the known clinical data, a causal relationship cannot be established, as thrombotic events in particular are not among the known or typical side effects of the vaccine in question."

https://www.basg.gv.at/en/market-surveillance/official-announcements/detail/zwischenfaelle-nach-impfung-mit-covid-19-impfstoff-von-astrazeneca
    Oh i wasn't implying there was, just saying that the anti-vaxxers like Macron will be making hay of this.

Remember during the trial phase there were also a couple of serious incidents.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K population

• Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

felix said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1367872671518765062?s=20
    Surprising...or it is a bit like all the secret Daily Mail readers who claim disgusting rag of a paper, but spend their lunch hours clicking through the sidebar of shame.
  • Options
    UK Local R

• Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    UK R

From case data

From hospitalisations

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    Considering that my last night away was a stay at the Middlesbrough Travelodge, a year at home hasn't been too bad.
  • Options
    Age related data

• Options

dixiedean said:

Haven't everyone?

"Even Sheffield United are laughing at us...."
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,957
  • Options
    Age related data - scaled to 100k population per age group

• Options
    MattW said:

kle4 said:

felix said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

H&M interview being broadcast today in USA(?)

It's just that we have been talking about it.
    Yes I know, my point was we've been hearing about it for weeks so until a couple of days ago I assumed it had already occurred.
  • Options

Considering that my last night away was a stay at the Middlesbrough Travelodge, a year at home hasn't been too bad.

Who did you upset to be inflicted with such punishment?
  • Options
    UK vaccinations

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251
    Don't like that. A direct poll of the public on what Muslim women can wear. That is not imo how such things should be handled.
  • Options
    We are going to have to see a big expansion in capacity shortly, otherwise second doses are going to start having an impact on the amount of new people who can get jabbed.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,259
    Of course the most important player in the conspiracy against AstraZeneca is AstraZeneca who conspired to somehow give the impression back in December that their vaccine was much less effective than others, but also they weren't sure because they accidentally gave some people in the trial half a dose. This is the origin of the lack of confidence in AZ.

The initial decision to not recommend for over 65s was a mistake, but seems like a typically German way of doing things.
    Macron's remarks on the other hand haven't registered at all in Germany, and will have had close to zero influence here.
  • Options

We are going to have to see a big expansion in capacity shortly, otherwise second doses are going to start having an impact on the amount of new people who can get jabbed.

Wednesday allegedly - fingers crossed!
  • Options
    isam said:

Leon said:

It will surely go down as one of the stupidest unforced errors in the history of Public Health. What were they thinking? Macron, Merkel, all of them. Truly truly bizarre, and completely unnecessary. They gained absolutely nothing, and they have killed people

I still don't really understand WHY they did it, apart from some kind of petty spite against Britain because Brexit, and Astra-Zeneca because failed deliveries - but the UK suffered those as well, and we didn't then denounce the vaccine as ineffective to "get at" the company.

MAD
    Yes. He'd get away with it as he does with everything.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

Leon said:

MAD
    Yes. He'd get away with it as he does with everything.
    Oh do try and grow up for just a moment
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    kinabalu said:

Don't like that. A direct poll of the public on what Muslim women can wear. That is not imo how such things should be handled.
    Of course. It should be left to their fathers, brothers and husbands. (Joke)
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kinabalu said:

So you're saying that the banning of private choices that may increase social inequality isn't always a good thing?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709

A lovely sight.

Sigh. Leicester and Leics are always a hotspot. 🙄
  • Options
    kamski said:

Of course the most important player in the conspiracy against AstraZeneca is AstraZeneca who conspired to somehow give the impression back in December that their vaccine was much less effective than others, but also they weren't sure because they accidentally gave some people in the trial half a dose. This is the origin of the lack of confidence in AZ.

The initial decision to not recommend for over 65s was a mistake, but seems like a typically German way of doing things.
    Macron's remarks on the other hand haven't registered at all in Germany, and will have had close to zero influence here.

I'm sorry but that opening sentence is utter rubbish. Yes AZ's data wasn't as good as Pfizer's but it really shouldn't matter. The best vaccine is one available today.
  • Options

UK vaccinations

50% jabbed in England, here we come.....
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,869
    Afternoon all :)

As usual, @TSE is wrong - the hue mega-significant by-election on 6th May is going to be in East Ham Central.

The resignation of Councillor Julianne Marriott last August got missed in the chaos of Covid. However, there will be a by-election in one of the adjoining Wards.

I can barely restrain my excitement.

In this knife edge marginal in 2018, the Labour candidates got 81% of the vote, the Conservatives 14% and the Christian People's Alliance 5%. That means the Conservatives need a 33% swing to take the seat and well though they are polling nationally, I don't see it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

A lovely sight.

Why would coastal areas do well, and central areas worse? Traffic patterns? Salt air breezes? Population density?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637

We should be just about through Group 9 before the second doses really ramp up.

Except in Wales, where there seems to be an earlier switch to the second jab.

(Full disclosure: I'm Group 9, so there may be an element of wishcasting in the above)
  • Options
    kamski said:

The sane way too handle that would have been -

"Initial license for under 65's granted. License for over 65s contingent on data in study x delivering results at time y""

That and an EU directive that there should be no "off the record" briefings on vaccine efficacy and public statements by qualified, involved, scientists only.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,259
    tlg86 said:

kamski said:

I'm sorry but that opening sentence is utter rubbish. Yes AZ's data wasn't as good as Pfizer's but it really shouldn't matter. The best vaccine is one available today.
    Of course the best vaccine is the one available. What has that got to do with the reasons WHY people don't want the AZ vaccine?

Of course I don't really think AZ is part of an anti AZ conspiracy, because that would be ridiculous. Just as I don't think Merkel is part of an anti AZ conspiracy. But there are a few Qanon types on here who believe ridiculous things.
  • Options

Yep. Hard lockdown for a year vs Boro Travelodge. It isn't even a question...
  • Options
    kamski said:

tlg86 said:

kamski said:

Of course the best vaccine is the one available. What has that got to do with the reasons WHY people don't want the AZ vaccine?

Of course I don't really think AZ is part of an anti AZ conspiracy, because that would be ridiculous. Just as I don't think Merkel is part of an anti AZ conspiracy. But there are a few Qanon types on here who believe ridiculous things.
    So why has it not been a problem in the UK? Clearly the smoke signals from the German politicians, media and - according to some one here - medical staff has had an effect on the German people.

So, no, AZ are not to blame for the situation in Germany.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    kamski said:

AZ did a poor job with the trial, muddying the protocols up, and then presenting the data badly.

These problems resulted in Switzerland rejecting the application, and the US delaying it.

AZ also failed to pick up on how much protection increased over time, which was tough given the rush to put together everything.

When all is said and done, AZ will probably end up close to 90% effective, but with a longer path to protection. It may also be that AZ plus Pfizer-BioNTech gives 95% protection, and is the best way forward.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

A lovely sight.

NW is another that is consistently problematic.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kamski said:

tlg86 said:

kamski said:

So why has it not been a problem in the UK? Clearly the smoke signals from the German politicians, media and - according to some one here - medical staff has had an effect on the German people.

So, no, AZ are not to blame for the situation in Germany.
    Public perceptions are formed from multiple sources. AZN have certainly contributed. But from talking to doctors in the biggest refugee camps in Thailand, Kenya and Tanzania, the big issue with public perception of the AZN shot in Africa has nothing to do with Germany or Macron, but to do with why the US has not approved it yet.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

So you're saying that the banning of private choices that may increase social inequality isn't always a good thing?
    Bit tortuous but yes I suppose I am. And far from a gotcha it demonstrates how my world view has room for both principles and naunce.

Although tbh it was more the having a referendum on it aspect which got my nostrils wrinkling in this case. As it happens I don't support banning the burka but either way it feels wrong to decide it like that.

Has the air of the members of a golf club holding a ballot on whether you should be allowed to play in a turban.
This discussion has been closed.