Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Things to look forward to in 2021: An exciting by-election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Yorkshire references, Radiohead insults, and the Battle of Zama? I think this header was written by an AI after revewing TSE's post history.

That's actually true. GPT3 could easily generate a PB blogpost. Just feed it ten examples, bingo
    Oh lord. Lets talk about Harry and Meghan.
    Outrageous fail, whatever bot posted that.

As if @DavidL would leave out an apostrophe.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Leon said:

Fuxake Matt, they're not going to shag you whatever the level of crawling.
    (poss exception made if you can convincingly impersonate a 15 year old Californian girl).

https://twitter.com/mattwridley/status/1368502203607113734?s=20

I'm done with this whole naff idea of "national claps" for ANYONE. It's pure CRINGE. I want to forget we ever did it. I want to go back to not knowing my neighbours and not caring if they die. I want to go back to being a surely, selfish Londoner watching my house appreciate in value, and fuck everyone else, as I guzzle champagne in the Groucho Club

NO MORE CLAPPING
    I hadn’t realised that anyone did the clap out of anything other than extreme boredom or in drunken irony.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

DougSeal said:
    It's come to something where "only" ninety corpses in a day is considered a measure of great progress, but nonetheless that's where we are. Double rather than treble figures on this measure, for the first time in months I'd imagine.

That's also a 40% reduction week-on-week, after a similar reduction the previous week as well. If that rate of progress can be maintained then the equivalent value by mid-April should be down into single figures.
    Still a very straight line.....

And if the hospital numbers also keep trending down in a constant fashion then I make it we'll be down to about 2,000 Covid patients (and only 250 left on ventilators) in the whole of the UK by the time we get to Step 2 of the unlocking plan.

If that's the case, deaths are running somewhere around 100 per week and falling, and the vaccination scheme is well into the fortysomethings by that point, then the Government may struggle to justify taking five whole weeks until step 3, and another five weeks after that until restrictions are substantially ended. But that would be a nice problem for both them and us to have.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,007
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

(poss exception made if you can convincingly impersonate a 15 year old Californian girl).

I'm done with this whole naff idea of "national claps" for ANYONE. It's pure CRINGE. I want to forget we ever did it. I want to go back to not knowing my neighbours and not caring if they die. I want to go back to being a surely, selfish Londoner watching my house appreciate in value, and fuck everyone else, as I guzzle champagne in the Groucho Club

NO MORE CLAPPING
    I hadn’t realised that anyone did the clap out of anything other than extreme boredom or in drunken irony.
    I did it a total of twice. The first was oddly moving, the second was boring and faintly cringe-worthy, I never did it again after that, and never will
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,133
    MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:
    It's come to something where "only" ninety corpses in a day is considered a measure of great progress, but nonetheless that's where we are. Double rather than treble figures on this measure, for the first time in months I'd imagine.

That's also a 40% reduction week-on-week, after a similar reduction the previous week as well. If that rate of progress can be maintained then the equivalent value by mid-April should be down into single figures.
    If we are really going to live with Covid mortality being “like flu” then double figures is what we’re going to have to get used to.
    I think what we really need is in September or October for the government to move all COVID reporting to the standard weekly ONS releases for death certificates and junk the daily releases. We need to normalise COVID as endemic and ultimately undefeatable just like the flu. Daily reporting of statistics marks it out as separate from everything else and it shouldn't be.
    I think that’s an excellent idea and one that might just happen. At the moment it suits the Government to present data like this, when it suits the Government to get everyone spending money again then the data will be presented differently.
  • Options

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Remember , however, that 1500 people die every day in the UK in an average year (more in winter). So "90 corpses" should be seen in that context. It's not a huge number. 6%
    I know, I'm merely saying that the fact that ninety Covid deaths may be regarded as something actually to be welcomed, relative to the tsunami of bodies we had only a few weeks ago, is rather sad.

However, it does look like the release of the little Plague spreaders tomorrow is the final major obstacle left to go. If that doesn't cause everything to go to crap then, hallelujah, I think we're almost done with this thing. We're not completely safe from the dreaded super-variants, but where mutations have been appearing so far they all seem to be shifting the disease in the same direction, so hopefully the fact that the evil Kent Plague has already descended upon us and now predominates will mean that there are no more nasty surprises.
    Good thread here on R and the school reopening in September-

https://twitter.com/BristOliver/status/1368533585687363585
  • Options
    Incidentally, on the last thread somebody asked if Gavin Williamson's place at the bottom of the cabinet satisfaction rankings was about right.

The answer is of course no, as he shouldn't be in the cabinet.

But I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that it's not the minister - because even some very able ministers, the likes of Gove, Balls, Clarke and Gauke, have crashed and burned at education over the last thirty years. Clearly something is appallingly, horribly wrong with the department itself.

So the realistic solution is the Hacker solution - abolish the DfE.
  • Options
    Really? This seems like an error by Her Maj. Gives the impression the monarchy is rattled. Not good

https://twitter.com/MENnewsdesk/status/1368525578618421248?s=20

It also implies there might be something explosive in the Oprah stuff
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Bloody traitor!
    Why is he not suggesting tithing our income and bringing back droit de seigneur?
    Woke bollocks.
    I say bring back the feudal system!

(Provided that I get to be at least a baron and ideally an earl.)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717

The desire for Ed Balls -- who I don't remember as being very good, remember the sacking of Sharon Shoesmith in the HoC -- is the same mistake as the appointment of SKS in the first place.

Labour need a fresh & young team (preferably with more women) not an old team of stale, male has-beens.

There are plenty of fresh voices in Labour. If they want to replace Dodds, Rachel Reeves would be a better choice than Ed Balls.

I couldn't stand Balls when he was around, whereas Ed M was just meh. Both have seemed better since, but are probably not the answer.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,056
    DougSeal said:
    The trend in hospital numbers suggest they will fall to minimal levels by the end of this month.

New admissions
    04/02 1,907
    04/03 596

Patients in hospital
    06/02 23,042
    06/03 8,021

Patients on ventilators
    06/02 3,099
    06/03 1,326

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Read the whole thread

https://twitter.com/rupert_pearse/status/1368119816712839169

enlightening and sobering

My son was living with a nurse during the first wave, the fear they had was very real.

My tuppence worth, frontline NHS staff deserve more than a 1% increase
  • Options
    Leon said:

NO MORE CLAPPING
    People seemed relatively into it at the time, which is fine, but it's hard to keep it as 'special' if people are going to suggest it for any old thing, and it just seems forced.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Remember , however, that 1500 people die every day in the UK in an average year (more in winter). So "90 corpses" should be seen in that context. It's not a huge number. 6%
    I know, I'm merely saying that the fact that ninety Covid deaths may be regarded as something actually to be welcomed, relative to the tsunami of bodies we had only a few weeks ago, is rather sad.

However, it does look like the release of the little Plague spreaders tomorrow is the final major obstacle left to go. If that doesn't cause everything to go to crap then, hallelujah, I think we're almost done with this thing. We're not completely safe from the dreaded super-variants, but where mutations have been appearing so far they all seem to be shifting the disease in the same direction, so hopefully the fact that the evil Kent Plague has already descended upon us and now predominates will mean that there are no more nasty surprises.

Unless LFTs are completely useless, it will cause a rise in cases. But that's different from a rise in the 'R' rate (horrible bloody cliche, like social distancing).
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

NO MORE CLAPPING
    I did it a total of twice. The first was oddly moving, the second was boring and faintly cringe-worthy, I never did it again after that, and never will
    I did it almost every time originally, and with the Captain Tom one. Didn't do it to make a point or anything, did it and would do it again purely because the kids love doing it.

Quite frankly them staying at home makes everyone a bit stir crazy at times and stepping outside and clapping and seeing the neighbours was something they absolutely loved. If they grow up and remember the clap as a happy moment rather than being stuck at home then I'll be pleased with that. 👍
  • Options
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

No excess death now in the UK is the context that BR seems to be lacking
    Given the absence of deaths from flu is it now possible we are below normal mortality?

IF we are it is nothing to gloat aboui, because the backlog of undiagnosed cancers and untreated heart problems - and all the rest - will elevate it again. The scars of this terrible year will linger for a decade, in multiple ways
    If people learn lessons about diet, exercise and general health and fitness that will be good.

Though I doubt that most of the people who most need to will do so.
  • Options

moonshine said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Just about everyone with a statistical possibility of dying has now been vaccinated. What are you worried about happening?
    That's not true. Some in Group 6 are still waiting, while group 7 is only getting booked in now. 8 and 9 still to come too. Plus it takes 3 weeks for the vaccine to become active.

We're getting close to that point but we're not there yet.
    It’s not true that it takes 3 weeks to get a good level of efficacy against hospitalisation. Someone posted the data yesterday.

Wave 1 saw only 500 deaths under 60 with no known pre existing conditions, or about 1% of the total. As for vaccine progress, Max’s data yesterday indicated a very high level of vaccines in arms for at least the over 64s. Nationally there’s an average 20% vaccine penetration in the 16-64 group too. The unwinding from lockdown is proving needlessly and painfully cautious and is in large part only supported by people who have no financial downside from lockdown.
  • Options

FFS @ Anfield.

Klopp is definitely getting sacked at the end of the season.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Read the whole thread

https://twitter.com/rupert_pearse/status/1368119816712839169

enlightening and sobering

My son was living with a nurse during the first wave, the fear they had was very real.

My tuppence worth, frontline NHS staff deserve more than a 1% increase

An excellent, salutary thread. Ta for posting it
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Fresher's Week and holidays were surely the biggest contributors. Neither are happening this time.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Really? This seems like an error by Her Maj. Gives the impression the monarchy is rattled. Not good

Yes, very odd thing to do. Either there's a big claim, or it's a massive tactical mistake as even if she says nothing about it, that she is making such an address is a clear diversionary tactic.
  • Options
    Leon said:

It’s Commonwealth Day, in lieu of the usual services. I think it’s been planned for a while.
  • Options

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

NO MORE CLAPPING
    I did it almost every time originally, and with the Captain Tom one. Didn't do it to make a point or anything, did it and would do it again purely because the kids love doing it.

Quite frankly them staying at home makes everyone a bit stir crazy at times and stepping outside and clapping and seeing the neighbours was something they absolutely loved. If they grow up and remember the clap as a happy moment rather than being stuck at home then I'll be pleased with that. 👍
    I REALLY went off it when I heard about some friends who missed a clap, because of a mild family emergency, and then they got angry or insinuating texts from neighbours. "Where were you today?" "Why weren't you clapping?" "Don't you care??".

Emotional fascism. Enough, now
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

It’s Commonwealth Day, in lieu of the usual services. I think it’s been planned for a while.
    Can't recall such an address before, and if it has indeed been planned it has not been well publicised.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Just about everyone with a statistical possibility of dying has now been vaccinated. What are you worried about happening?
    That's not true. Some in Group 6 are still waiting, while group 7 is only getting booked in now. 8 and 9 still to come too. Plus it takes 3 weeks for the vaccine to become active.

It’s not true that it takes 3 weeks to get a good level of efficacy against hospitalisation. Someone posted the data yesterday.

Wave 1 saw only 500 deaths under 60 with no known pre existing conditions, or about 1% of the total. As for vaccine progress, Max’s data yesterday indicated a very high level of vaccines in arms for at least the over 64s. Nationally there’s an average 20% vaccine penetration in the 16-64 group too. The unwinding from lockdown is proving needlessly and painfully cautious and is in large part only supported by people who have no financial downside from lockdown.
    You say "no known pre existing conditions" but when "pre existing conditions" includes things like diabetes, asthma, heart conditions and other issues that can be survived with for another fifty years if you're young then what point are you trying to make?

Group 6 is the under 65s with pre-existing conditions and they've not all been vaccinated yet, though many have.

Should we say if a 20 year old diabetic dies that their death shouldn't be counted as meaningful because they have a pre-existing condition?

I think the unwinding is unnecessarily cautious and should be escalated. Three weeks after Group 9 is done I'd lift restrictions.

But lets not pretend everyone at risk has been vaccinated yet, that's just not true.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,949
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

I'll save myself the work as someone else in the replies did it for me

https://twitter.com/DoveFirebrand/status/1368569192010506245
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Can't recall such an address before, and if it has indeed been planned it has not been well publicised.
    It is, of course, highly possible that Harry and Meghan (or their PR team) knew this speech was coming, and timed their interview broadcast accordingly. To amplify its apparent impact

What a tragic mess
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,162
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

NO MORE CLAPPING
    I sense it was for some a way of connecting with others. Like when prisoners bang things against the bars of their cells.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

NO MORE CLAPPING

I REALLY went off it when I heard about some friends who missed a clap, because of a mild family emergency, and then they got angry or insinuating texts from neighbours. "Where were you today?" "Why weren't you clapping?" "Don't you care??".

Emotional fascism. Enough, now
    Sounds like your friends neighbours are dickheads.

We never had any of that in our neighbourhood.

The only thing noteworthy was that the first couple of claps my retired next door neighbour was absent for because she was hospitalised with the virus. So we would ask neighbours who knew her better about her condition. Thankfully she made a full recovery so her presence at the next clap was celebrated and made it even more special.

There was no judging of people who weren't present.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited March 2021
    kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

https://thecommonwealth.org/media/news/commonwealth-day-2021-celebrations-be-virtual-and-focus-women’s-leadership-delivering

https://www.westminster-abbey.org/abbey-news/a-celebration-for-commonwealth-day
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,324
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Unless LFTs are completely useless, it will cause a rise in cases. But that's different from a rise in the 'R' rate (horrible bloody cliche, like social distancing).
    Please check my figures

There were 5,215,283 12-18 year olds in the UK in 2019.

Test 2x a week = 10,430,566

Divide by 7, to give an additional daily number of 1,490,081

The seven day average on testing is bouncing around a lot. I think the spike in numbers is pre-return-testing. Both my children have had a pre return to school test already.....

But, if it was 600k+ before, we are looking at 2m+ tests per day, average.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The desire for Ed Balls -- who I don't remember as being very good, remember the sacking of Sharon Shoesmith in the HoC -- is the same mistake as the appointment of SKS in the first place.

Labour need a fresh & young team (preferably with more women) not an old team of stale, male has-beens.

There are plenty of fresh voices in Labour. If they want to replace Dodds, Rachel Reeves would be a better choice than Ed Balls.

I couldn't stand Balls when he was around, whereas Ed M was just meh. Both have seemed better since, but are probably not the answer.
    Few people could stand Ed Balls when he was around.

In the following five years he's done a bit of baking and dancing and joined the list of 'great lost prime ministers'.

Apparently he was also lauded for travelling around the Mid West asking why people had voted for Trump.

If he'd shown the same interest in the people of Morley and Outwood as he did for those in Michigan and Iowa his political career might not have come to such an abrupt end.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,533
    On the header, it may be worth noting that Batley and Spen was Jo Cox's seat before her untimely murder. I won quite a lot of money at the 2017 GE betting on Labour, at evens, to hold it; Brabin won very comfortably. Labour may still have a bit of a residual sympathy vote there.

On Ed Balls, it seems like only yesterday (though it may be around 10 years ago) that Tories were viewing him as the devil incarnate. How times change. Before we know, it, they'll be recommending that us Labourites bring back McDonnell and Corbyn. But thanks for the advice. (I like Ed Balls, as it happens).
  • Options
    guybrushguybrush Posts: 236

kyf_100 said:

guybrush said:

FPT, so my contribution to the oh so exciting Sussex's soap opera isn't missed.

Guybrush said:

More anecdotals, I've a close family member who has had dealings with William's professional staff via work. My impression is the staff in question isn't the type to throw out these sort of allegations lightly. Ok, Meghan probably isn't the only primadonna member of the Royal family, but the reality of the situation contrasts hugely with the image the Sussex's are trying to project (and the reality of William/Kate - by all accounts unflashy and hard working).

As Charles mentioned a few days ago, Harry strikes me a a bit of a lost soul who has never really dealt with the loss of his mother and was probably most at home in the Army, where he couldn't stay put due to circumstances beyond his control. Enter Meghan, and in the space of a few years there's a kid on the scene, Harry is physically, financially isolated and estranged from his family - especially his brother. I'm very concerned for him.

In life we tend to play out the psychodramas of our childhood.

It is the oldest story in psychology, the oedipus one. In Meghan Harry has found a substitute for his mum and he will not let that go, he will do anything for her, because keeping her safe eases the psychological wound the poor chap still carries from being a child and unable to protect his mother. Hence "Meghan gets what she wants." Of course she does. She's his mother, only now he's a grown man with enormous wealth and power and he can protect her in a way he never could protect his mum as a child.

So in my opinion this story has little to do with racism or even "the institution" that the monarchy is. It is just childhood trauma being played out, unfortunately, on the front pages, due to the fame of the individuals involved. And we should cut them all some slack.

Harry would do well to read Larkin's "this be the verse"... for that reason I feel nothing but sympathy for him (and Meghan - they are clearly deeply wounded individuals). But at the same time he should take his money and lead a peaceful, quiet life away from the spotlight, rather than weaponising it against his geriatric gran and using the very media he professes to hate to attack his own family. He has chosen a very self-destructive path and I feel nothing but sadness for the whole family.

Good analysis.
    This, 100%.

I wouldn't forgive them wanting to tap out of the whole Royal soap opera, and live a quiet life away from it all, but I'm less inclined to give either of them slack. They're in the late 30's, are in a incredibly privileged positions, and whatever crap they had to deal with in their childhood not withstanding - their actions in using the press to avenge their perceived wronging (presumably creating considerable stress to HMQ) seem incredibly petit.

Harry at least didn't choose to be born into the situation. However Meghan opted into the whole thing, and the general arrogance and grandiosity she is exhibiting is breathtaking.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,179
    On topic :lol:

CON would have no chance in the Batley & Spen by election - LAB nailed on

Yes excellent idea - for LAB - to bring Ed Balls back!
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    ydoethur said:

Incidentally, on the last thread somebody asked if Gavin Williamson's place at the bottom of the cabinet satisfaction rankings was about right.

But I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that it's not the minister - because even some very able ministers, the likes of Gove, Balls, Clarke and Gauke, have crashed and burned at education over the last thirty years. Clearly something is appallingly, horribly wrong with the department itself.

Was David Gauke ever an Education Minister?
  • Options

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

You say "no known pre existing conditions" but when "pre existing conditions" includes things like diabetes, asthma, heart conditions and other issues that can be survived with for another fifty years if you're young then what point are you trying to make?

Group 6 is the under 65s with pre-existing conditions and they've not all been vaccinated yet, though many have.

Should we say if a 20 year old diabetic dies that their death shouldn't be counted as meaningful because they have a pre-existing condition?

I think the unwinding is unnecessarily cautious and should be escalated. Three weeks after Group 9 is done I'd lift restrictions.

But lets not pretend everyone at risk has been vaccinated yet, that's just not true.
    What % of the applicable population do you get if you add up nhs and social care workers under 64? Probably about 3 million people out of more than 40 million people. And we know take up in social care sector hasn’t exactly been stellar.

The rest of that 20% figure are largely going to be under 64s on the (greatly expanded) vulnerable list. The back of it is broken for sure, the weird precautions they’re putting in place for schools this week are a bit obscene really.
  • Options
    guybrushguybrush Posts: 236
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

It is, of course, highly possible that Harry and Meghan (or their PR team) knew this speech was coming, and timed their interview broadcast accordingly. To amplify its apparent impact

What a tragic mess
    The Sussex's have form for this type of thing, apparently
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    eek said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

I think at the moment it's foolish to analyse the data at all, simply because it's incomplete and will be incomplete probably for some years. What we've got at the moment are agenda pushers seeing what they want to see - in all directions. So we have the Woolhouse/Young/Contrarian tendency saying there's no risk, and the Chicken Licken/SeanT/Byronic/LadyG/Eadric tendency saying we'll all die if we leave the house without wearing spacesuits. We don't know which is right, although on balance it is suggestive that surges follow schools going back and particularly that the rates of infection in schools - which should in theory be much lower for demographic reasons - closely mirror those in the wider community.

So Johnson saying he would be driven by 'data not dates' was again lying, of course.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

From the same data source....

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-vaccinations/

Clinically Extremely Vulnerable Cohort Vaccinated % who have had at least 1 dose
    Total 88.3%
    East Of England 90.1%
    London 78.6%
    Midlands 89.0%
    North East And Yorkshire 89.8%
    North West 88.0%
    South East 91.1%
    South West 92.5%

That's the state of play at the 28th of Feb, by the way
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    @Philip_Thompson point of order that Group 8 (55+) are able to book their jabs now, or at least everyone over the age of 56 in Group 8 can, weirdly.

But of course you’re right that Group 6s are still waiting like yours truly.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    On NHS pay, I heard the PM say that the number of nurses in the NHS has gone up 10,000 in the last year. It's actually 13,313:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/record-numbers-of-doctors-and-nurses-working-in-the-nhs

I wonder how much of that is due to a lack of options? As difficult as it has been for many on the front line, they still have a job.

If anyone asks me how much anyone should be paid, my answer will always be "whatever it takes to get the desired quantity and quality of staff."
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    DougSeal said:
    But according to the EU the UK has an export ban.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

ydoethur said:

Nope.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2021
    Re; a post below, the elements of racism and sexism are mainly from the british tabloid press, in the context of its long record of bullying in all sorts of ways, and distorting national debate, rather than from the royal family much themselves, I would say. Ofcourse you won't read this in Britain, as the press themselves set the terms of debate and are now doing it with their new-found adoration for "models of dignity" William and Kate.

The US press, for its own part, is busy setting up a counter-narrative about how Meghan was the feminine, modern breath of fresh air that racist, repressed old colonial master Britain rejected. This is roughly Andie McDowell's character in Four Weddings and a Funeral, which coincidentally was written by a Briton with the US market in mind, so Americans are long familiar with the template.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Please check my figures

The seven day average on testing is bouncing around a lot. I think the spike in numbers is pre-return-testing. Both my children have had a pre return to school test already.....

I'm not disputing your figures. I'm pointing out the logical hole in the Twitter case.

How useful these extra 1.4million average tests are is another question, of course.

But remember, it won't be averaged after this start. Those tests will be taken on Mondays and Wednesdays. So expect surges reported on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:
    But according to the EU the UK has an export ban.
    It is possible we arranged for a diversion of the supplies we ordered from India?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767
    Is there any evidence that Balls would stand?

I read somewhere (here most likely) that he wasn't even a Labour member currently? (May have misread/misinterpreted)
  • Options

"It is with a heavy heart and a profound sense of loss that I have to announce the passing of His Royal Highness, Prince William, the Duke of Edinburgh"
  • Options

JohnO said:

ydoethur said:

Nope.
    I was just testing to see if anyone spotted my deliberate mistake over Damian Hinds, honest *innocent face*
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

I think at the moment it's foolish to analyse the data at all, simply because it's incomplete and will be incomplete probably for some years. What we've got at the moment are agenda pushers seeing what they want to see - in all directions. So we have the Woolhouse/Young/Contrarian tendency saying there's no risk, and the Chicken Licken/SeanT/Byronic/LadyG/Eadric tendency saying we'll all die if we leave the house without wearing spacesuits. We don't know which is right, although on balance it is suggestive that surges follow schools going back and particularly that the rates of infection in schools - which should in theory be much lower for demographic reasons - closely mirror those in the wider community.

So Johnson saying he would be driven by 'data not dates' was again lying, of course.
    I don't know who these other dudes are, except I vaguely remember SeanT as exceptionally witty and kind, but point of order: this is really NOT my perspective.

I am on the Hurry Up side of the argument. If these vaccines continue to work as well as they are, and we don't suffer any more variants, then I reckon the government should speed up our deconfinement. Indeed, I think HMG will actually do this, (if all goes well) because

1, the economic, social and political pressure to do that will be intense, we can't afford a single day of unecessary lockdown, and

2, people will start unlockdowning themselves, anyway. I can already see it happening, more people on the street, more shoppers, more crowds, more people having quiet drinks with friends in front yards and gardens. I hope to join them: I get my jab on Friday, and 3 weeks after that I will start living as normally as possible. I'm done with this. A whole year. End it
  • Options
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

What % of the applicable population do you get if you add up nhs and social care workers under 64? Probably about 3 million people out of more than 40 million people. And we know take up in social care sector hasn’t exactly been stellar.

The rest of that 20% figure are largely going to be under 64s on the (greatly expanded) vulnerable list. The back of it is broken for sure, the weird precautions they’re putting in place for schools this week are a bit obscene really.
    Actually take up in the care sector has been fairly stellar. It hasn't been universally stellar and hence people talk up the groups that haven't taken it up but overall the take up has been pretty high.

Yes the back of it has been broken. But there's still people to be vaccinated. Saying the back of it has been broken is true enough without going with untruths like everyone vulnerable has been vaccinated.

Garbage like "without pre-existing conditions" is meaningless once you realise that a "pre-existing condition" doesn't mean you've got stage 4 cancer and only a month left to live. Between about a quarter and a third of all adults have a "pre-existing condition". Children are born with "pre-existing conditions".
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

It was mentioned at least a week ago and solely in relation to Commonwealth Day.
  • Options
    Organiser of NHS pay protest in city centre facing £10,000 fine

The protest was dispersed peacefully but Greater Manchester Police say organiser Karen Reissmann, 61, will still be handed the maximum Fixed Penalty Notice

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/nhs-pay-protest-fine-manchester-19984620#source=breaking-news
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,182
    Yes! Get Ed Balls in to win that by-election. Labour are massively missing some decent plain old fashioned political heavyweights.
  • Options

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-vaccinations/

Clinically Extremely Vulnerable Cohort Vaccinated % who have had at least 1 dose
    Total 88.3%
    East Of England 90.1%
    London 78.6%
    Midlands 89.0%
    North West 88.0%
    South East 91.1%
    South West 92.5%

Extremely vulnerable is Group 4.

Group 6 is the vulnerable, not the extremely vulnerable.
  • Options
    felix said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

It was mentioned at least a week ago and solely in relation to Commonwealth Day.
    22 Feb, by the Abbey, when the event there was cancelled. Nothing to see here.

https://www.westminster-abbey.org/abbey-news/a-celebration-for-commonwealth-day

• Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

2, people will start unlockdowning themselves, anyway. I can already see it happening, more people on the street, more shoppers, more crowds, more people having quiet drinks with friends in front yards and gardens. I hope to join them: I get my jab on Friday, and 3 weeks after that I will start living as normally as possible. I'm done with this. A whole year. End it
    Totally agree
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

I don't know who these other dudes are, except I vaguely remember SeanT as exceptionally witty and kind, but point of order: this is really NOT my perspective.

I am on the Hurry Up side of the argument. If these vaccines continue to work as well as they are, and we don't suffer any more variants, then I reckon the government should speed up our deconfinement. Indeed, I think HMG will actually do this, (if all goes well) because

1, the economic, social and political pressure to do that will be intense, we can't afford a single day of unecessary lockdown, and

It's interesting you thought I was talking about you, given I can't see anywhere in that post I mentioned you at all.

Unless of course you're Contrarian using another browser...

Edit - I think that if schools go back for three weeks with rising infection numbers and no major spike in hospitalisations then there is every chance we will be unlocked by the end of April. But it would be foolish of the government to say that. Much better to keep expectations low.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Leon said:

There's a tiny hint of Spring in the sun today. It's still cold like winter, but my large south facing windows don't know that. Warmth everywhere

We are nearly through this enormous pile of shite

Greater Spotted Woodpeckers are drumming, with distant replies across the valley. Still no singing Chiffchaff yet, which is the real starting pistol for spring. Maybe this week.....
  • Options
    Feel dirty posting the Mail and will find another source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9325561/Fury-Rishi-Sunaks-30billion-funding-cut-NHS-Budget-amid-operations-backlog.html

Austerity through the backdoor is the Tory strategy, they are going to sneak through cuts whilst keeping the existing cuts in place, which have destroyed the very fabric of our society and plunged people into poverty.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2021
    tlg86 said:

On NHS pay, I heard the PM say that the number of nurses in the NHS has gone up 10,000 in the last year. It's actually 13,313:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/record-numbers-of-doctors-and-nurses-working-in-the-nhs

I wonder how much of that is due to a lack of options? As difficult as it has been for many on the front line, they still have a job.

If anyone asks me how much anyone should be paid, my answer will always be "whatever it takes to get the desired quantity and quality of staff."

There is also the issues that ~£35k a year average nurse salary is double Portugal, significantly more than Spain, before you even consider further afield. And is higher than Germany (although big variations and all sorts of other factors).

I believe Portugal has been particularly hard hit by medical staff leaving for the rest of Europe.

Now that isn't to say 1% is enough, but it isn't simple as I will leave Brexit Britain for massively better pay, as the really big payers isn't trivial to move to in the way it was to go from some countries in Europe to UK.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

It's interesting you thought I was talking about you, given I can't see anywhere in that post I mentioned you at all.

"Licken/SeanT/Byronic/LadyG/Eadric"

Others have alleged at least one of these is me. I can't remember which
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,182
    Day after vaccine. Feeling distinctly ropey. Guess the good news is it is doing something to my immune system.
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Nobody has ever accused you of being Chicken Licken.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Please check my figures

I'm not disputing your figures. I'm pointing out the logical hole in the Twitter case.

How useful these extra 1.4million average tests are is another question, of course.

But remember, it won't be averaged after this start. Those tests will be taken on Mondays and Wednesdays. So expect surges reported on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
    Oh yes, I agree about surges and I assume that anything on Twitter is bollocks until proven otherwise.

The maths of whether somewhat less accurate testing on a mass scale is vital, useful or useless is interesting. My personal guesstimate is on the plus side of useful. If nothing else, the effective screen program will find a lot of unreported COVID in some groups, I think.

The "jump in cases" should keep the Daily Fail happy.....
  • Options

Day after vaccine. Feeling distinctly ropey. Guess the good news is it is doing something to my immune system.

Almost everyone I know who has had the AZ jab has experienced some unpleasant side effects - generally like a mild one/two day flu. Only one did not, and she is a recovering cancer patient (so it was quite unexpected)

I'm not greatly looking forward to this downer, but who cares, Give me freedom
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Please check my figures

Oh yes, I agree about surges and I assume that anything on Twitter is bollocks until proven otherwise.

The maths of whether somewhat less accurate testing on a mass scale is vital, useful or useless is interesting. My personal guesstimate is on the plus side of useful. If nothing else, the effective screen program will find a lot of unreported COVID in some groups, I think.

The "jump in cases" should keep the Daily Fail happy.....
    If more previously unreported cases are found then could that reduce rather than increase R?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Feel dirty posting the Mail and will find another source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9325561/Fury-Rishi-Sunaks-30billion-funding-cut-NHS-Budget-amid-operations-backlog.html

Austerity through the backdoor is the Tory strategy, they are going to sneak through cuts whilst keeping the existing cuts in place, which have destroyed the very fabric of our society and plunged people into poverty.

How much of that is cuts to COVID testing though? It's an annual £40bn budget that gets added to NHS spending.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,578
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

It does look as if school children are the highest prevalence population at the moment:

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1367448762025672704?s=19

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Leon, my dad had no side-effects. My mother and her friend both felt very tired (all Oxford/AstraZeneca).
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,464
    kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

This was has been publicised for at least a fortnight:
    https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/queen-set-give-message-nation-19886802

Normally the BBC broadcasts a Church Service. Here is the 2020 one. This is replacing:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000g74q/a-celebration-for-commonwealth-day-2020

There will be no acknowledgement of the other.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Total 88.3%
    East Of England 90.1%
    London 78.6%
    Midlands 89.0%
    North West 88.0%
    South East 91.1%
    South West 92.5%

That’s Group 4, not Group 6.
    It’s also worth noting that even Group 6 does not come close to including everyone with a condition as per the NHS definitions (a lot of asthmatics and most of those with mental health issues aren’t in Group 6)
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Somewhere in New York a process server is getting ready.

https://twitter.com/C_Sommerfeldt/status/1368305136267886602
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

How much of that is cuts to COVID testing though? It's an annual £40bn budget that gets added to NHS spending.
    “Health spending to return to trajectory that was planned before massive emergency spending increases to cope with a once in 100 year pandemic” is not exactly the story of the century.
  • Options

Mr. Leon, my dad had no side-effects. My mother and her friend both felt very tired (all Oxford/AstraZeneca).

It seems to be totally random. I can't see any pattern to who feels ropey and who doesn't, or who feels mildly tired and who feels wretched for days (rare but it happens)

Odd.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Nobody has ever accused you of being Chicken Licken.
    That's the next incarnation according to AI...
  • Options
    Are Liverpool deliberately trying to lose these days?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Almost everyone I know who has had the AZ jab has experienced some unpleasant side effects - generally like a mild one/two day flu. Only one did not, and she is a recovering cancer patient (so it was quite unexpected)

One amusing anecdote I heard is from someone who works in a care home for dementia residents. She said all the staff were moaning for days afterwards about their side effects, but by hours after injection the residents were back to normal and very few residents had any noticeable side effects.

The residents dementia basically meant they forgot they were injected so it wasn't playing in their heads and few complaints.
  • Options
    Mr. Leon, I read a suggestion it was related to whether or not someone had had COVID unknowingly. Could make sense.

But a couple of days of feeling very tired is a minor thing for the protection offered.
  • Options

Hey mate I want to apologise for being a bit shouty yesterday. Lockdown is getting to me. I've had enough and I get snappy.

Anyway, soz boz apolibobs
  • Options

Leon said:

One amusing anecdote I heard is from someone who works in a care home for dementia residents. She said all the staff were moaning for days afterwards about their side effects, but by hours after injection the residents were back to normal and very few residents had any noticeable side effects.

The residents dementia basically meant they forgot they were injected so it wasn't playing in their heads and few complaints.
    Older people have less vigorous immune systems, hence less reaction. People who have had covid (as many care workers would have) also tend to get more reaction.

That said, it is far better than covid.
  • Options

Leon said:

Fake news. It’s because it impacts the immune systems of younger people differently to the old, as per trial data. And subsequent to the rollout, because it impacts you more severely if you’ve had the virus or not. They’re doing a great job of keeping the often quite awful unpleasantness of the Azn side effects to the young out the media. Well done I suppose. I know of big MNCs that are now advising their staff to preemptively clear their diaries for 48 hrs after an Azn dose. Hasn’t made the news of course but it’s happening.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

It does look as if school children are the highest prevalence population at the moment:

Which is hardly surprising given how many of them have still been in school while the rest of us were locked down.

If they hadn't been, that would have been good evidence that schools do not spread it.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

Hey mate I want to apologise for being a bit shouty yesterday. Lockdown is getting to me. I've had enough and I get snappy.

NP....to add to your ever expanding knowledge of AI.....some more reading material.

OPENAI DISCOVERS ARTIFICIAL NEURON ONLY EVER SEEN IN THE HUMAN BRAIN

https://openai.com/blog/multimodal-neurons/

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/artificial-intelligence-openai-elon-musk-ai-neuron-b1813106.html
  • Options

Leon said:

NP....to add to your ever expanding knowledge of AI.....

OPENAI DISCOVERS ARTIFICIAL NEURON ONLY EVER SEEN IN THE HUMAN BRAIN

https://openai.com/blog/multimodal-neurons/

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/artificial-intelligence-openai-elon-musk-ai-neuron-b1813106.html
    Ooh, interesting!

Danke
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,162

Yep. Same for me yesterday. Really grog. I coped with it by writing a stream of posts about private schools.
  • Options

Leon said:

Residents are older so fewer side effects due to less severe immune reaction...
  • Options

Leon said:

Residents are older so fewer side effects due to less severe immune reaction...
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Betting Post

F1: if you have a free bet or don't mind a tiny wager, I quite like a special. Yes, I was surprised too.

Mercedes are 51, 61 with boost, to take every race win in 2021 (sprint races do not count).

Regulation changes are around the corner which will divert resources to that, and they've been dominant for a long time. It's unlikely, but not that unlikely.

Last year four races were won by others. Two of these were down to chaotic silliness, and two were Verstappen.

Anyway, if you want to spend a pound or two, this is, I think, of some value. But don't whack down a lot.

Edited extra bit: Ladbrokes, of course.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Which is hardly surprising given how many of them have still been in school while the rest of us were locked down.

If they hadn't been, that would have been good evidence that schools do not spread it.
    There are hints in the Israeli data that schools do raise R. Their schools have been opening since early Feb and R is slightly increasing, as is the case load. This may be schools? Or it could be the Orthodox Jews who are allegedly refusing to socially isolate/take the vax. Or a mix of the two, probably

However Israeli deaths and hospitalisations are all, still, decreasing, which is way more important than cases
  • Options

Mr. Leon, I read a suggestion it was related to whether or not someone had had COVID unknowingly. Could make sense.

But a couple of days of feeling very tired is a minor thing for the protection offered.

Husband was quite ill for a couple of days after his jab. I am assuming I'll probably go the same way when my turn finally comes (hopefully within the next few weeks.)

We were both rather unwell around Christmas 2019 (I was good for nothing for the better part of a fortnight,) and have always harboured a suspicion that Covid was already in circulation then and we may have had it. But we'll never know, I suppose.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Betting Post

F1: if you have a free bet or don't mind a tiny wager, I quite like a special. Yes, I was surprised too.

Mercedes are 51, 61 with boost, to take every race win in 2021 (sprint races do not count).

Regulation changes are around the corner which will divert resources to that, and they've been dominant for a long time. It's unlikely, but not that unlikely.

Last year four races were won by others. Two of these were down to chaotic silliness, and two were Verstappen.

Anyway, if you want to spend a pound or two, this is, I think, of some value. But don't whack down a lot.

Edited extra bit: Ladbrokes, of course.

Really can't see it but at those odds it's worth a £2 or so (probably max £5 anyway given it's ladbrokes)

Also there are downforce regulation changes this year - so it's not as clear cut as it may look

and we also saw that once Mercedes won everything they stopped caring a bit.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Ironically AZ seems to be more suited to older people from the perspective of side-effects.
  • Options
    I know we're done with Megan for the moment but I'll post this anyway

https://twitter.com/FishGirls23/status/1368577845166018565

just for Prince Andrews expression.
  • Options
    I didn't expect Leicester 10 points ahead of Liverpool with 10 games to go, particularly with our injury crisis as it is.

• Options
    Foxy said:

I didn't expect Leicester 10 points ahead of Liverpool with 10 games to go, particularly with our injury crisis as it is.

I don't see how Liverpool can get Top 4 from here; incredible to think we were top of the table at Christmas.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Mr. eek, the car was very dominant last year.

I think the ongoing probable dominance coupled with major teams wanting to be the top dogs under the new regulations should provide value.

Likely to be a value loser, but then, so was backing Perez in Sakhir.

Edited extra bit: anyway, I must be off.
This discussion has been closed.