Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Like Brian Rose, Laurence Fox seems like a clear lay for London Mayor – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2021 in General
Like Brian Rose, Laurence Fox seems like a clear lay for London Mayor – politicalbetting.com

The leader of @thereclaimparty says he is entering the race for City Hall as part of the fight against "extreme political correctness".New polling shows a significant minority of Londoners are uncomfortable about the Mayor's 'woke' policies.Polling here: https://t.co/mYEGIo8Vco

Read the full story here

Comments

• TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Slow tonight
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good morning, everyone.

Aye. Not a chance. Wonder what the odds will be, though.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    Grey again; birds have been doing their best to get singing but sometimes they seem discouraged! Much many like many politicians in this country.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    The header is correct in assuming Fox's particular brand of nonsense would get a better reception among the tattooed thoriphants of Hartlepool than in London.

Surely the only question of any note regarding the mayoral election is whether Sian Berry can beat the Libdems again...
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Scottish independence voting intention:

Yes: 46% (-3)
    No: 47% (+3)

Excl. undecideds:
    Yes: 49% (-4)
    No: 51% (+4)

via @Panelbase
    , 03 - 05 Mar
    Chgs. w/ Jan 2021

This pol and the other one yesterday offer a great opportunity for Unionist parties to fight effectively agsinst the SNP. However, I doubt whether either the LDs or Labour have it in them to play their part of the bargain and vote Tory where they are the challengers. In failing they could well bring the Union down.
    Dura_Ace said:

The header is correct in assuming Fox's particular brand of nonsense would get a better reception among the tattooed thoriphants of Hartlepool than in London.

Surely the only question of any note regarding the mayoral election is whether Sian Berry can beat the Libdems again...

My only significant memory of Hartlepool is of a very pretty girl from there with whom I went out for a short while and with whom I might have got back together if I'd played my cards better. Thant was, of course, back in student days!
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,920
    Rose? Fox? Oh we really are being spoiled with such choices!
    felix said:

Excl. undecideds:

via @Panelbase
    , 03 - 05 Mar
    Chgs. w/ Jan 2021

This pol and the other one yesterday offer a great opportunity for Unionist parties to fight effectively agsinst the SNP. However, I doubt whether either the LDs or Labour have it in them to play their part of the bargain and vote Tory where they are the challengers. In failing they could well bring the Union down.
    Works both ways of course, in many places.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    So the government’s data seeking to refute claims of a collapse in export volumes - recited on here with glee by the fanboi club - turns out to be fake news?

The Cabinet Office run by Michael Gove has been officially reprimanded by the UK Statistics Authority for using unpublished and unverifiable data in an attempt to deny that Brexit had caused a massive fall in volumes of trade through British ports.
    IanB2 said:

So the government’s data seeking to refute claims of a collapse in export volumes - recited on here with glee by the fanboi club - turns out to be fake news?

The Cabinet Office run by Michael Gove has been officially reprimanded by the UK Statistics Authority for using unpublished and unverifiable data in an attempt to deny that Brexit had caused a massive fall in volumes of trade through British ports.

We're having some fencing work done...... the barrier sort, not the sword type ...... and one chap who came to give a quote was complaining about the supply problems, due, he said the Brexit.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

Excl. undecideds:

via @Panelbase
    , 03 - 05 Mar
    Chgs. w/ Jan 2021

That is my point - the Tories have shown willing at both party and voter level. Not so the other two.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Is it normal for a Committee of this nature to be quite so selective about the evidence they publish?

Genuine question - I had always assumed that they were very partisan in the report but not necessary in the selection of the facts they disclose
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    IanB2 said:

“Unpublished and unverifiable” is not the same as fake

(I have no idea what data they used and whether it is fake or not)
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,741
    I think the question with Laurence Fox is whether he comes last by a huge margin or a medium sized one.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    Charles said:

Is it normal for a Committee of this nature to be quite so selective about the evidence they publish?

Genuine question - I had always assumed that they were very partisan in the report but not necessary in the selection of the facts they disclose
    Its getting dirtier by the minute. Frankly , the more ordure that is heaped on Sturgeon, the better it will be for Scotland.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    OT just completed the census online -- thanks to the Covid lockdown I can be pretty sure who will be here in a fortnight's time, and I do not trust the government to have tested their service for more than five people submitting simultaneously on the night, let alone five million.

There are a couple of minor issues with the instructions in the letter, and submitting and exiting the web page are not quite as clear-cut as they might be.

On the question of Jewishness discussed a few threads ago, and I do not want to reopen this debate but give this as information only, Jewishness is not listed as an explicit choice under ethnicity but is under religion. Anyone who does wish to register their Judaism under ethnicity (no doubt a minority) could choose "other ethnic group (includes Arabs or other ethnic groups)" or alternatively, "White" and then "any other White ethnic background". In any case, the religion question follows where Jewish is an option.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    But there was no conspiracy to Get Salmond. No siree.

It just gets worse and worse.

Charles said:

Its getting dirtier by the minute. Frankly , the more ordure that is heaped on Sturgeon, the better it will be for Scotland.
    I wonder though whether Unionist tactics - which appear, to judge from their ineptitude,* be to keep her in place for now to maximise damage in May - are altogether wise. Unless Scott Douglas is very confident of holding Edinburgh Central, Angus Robertson would be a far more formidable figure than any likely replacement this Parliament, and he is relatively untainted by the current scandal given he’s currently outside politics and government.

*Of course, this may just be because the Unionists are inept.

OT just completed the census online -- thanks to the Covid lockdown I can be pretty sure who will be here in a fortnight's time, and I do not trust the government to have tested their service for more than five people submitting simultaneously on the night, let alone five million.

There are a couple of minor issues with the instructions in the letter, and submitting and exiting the web page are not quite as clear-cut as they might be.

On the question of Jewishness discussed a few threads ago, and I do not want to reopen this debate but give this as information only, Jewishness is not listed as an explicit choice under ethnicity but is under religion. Anyone who does wish to register their Judaism under ethnicity (no doubt a minority) could choose "other ethnic group (includes Arabs or other ethnic groups)" or alternatively, "White" and then "any other White ethnic background". In any case, the religion question follows where Jewish is an option.

I mentioned this at the time, when PB Tories were getting very excitable laying into Rayner's tweet. While she might have been unwise not to have considered the point more carefully, she was technically correct in not considering Jewish people within the category of ethnic minorities.

If you go to Israel you'll quickly find that they have their own views on ethnic minorities depending upon where their Jewish immigrants have come from.
    ydoethur said:

I think the question with Laurence Fox is whether he comes last by a huge margin or a medium sized one.

But also, how much he savages Khan along the way. He may generate some very quotable lines....
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,451
    ydoethur said:

He wont be last, probably not in the bottom three. For those looking for an independent outsider with a chance, I would suggest Count Binface, without Lord Buckethead in his way this time, he could be the one to watch. Renaming London Bridge to Phoebe-Waller is a very popular policy round here.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    I was always pretty pro monarchy without ever really thinking about it. But it’s a bit like Father Christmas. One day you wake up and just realise that you don’t believe any more. Life remains more fun when you go along with the Father Christmas charade and all its silliness. And that’s pretty much what we do as a nation with the royals.

There’s no point to them but in the list of constitutional aberrations to debate and amend, they’re well below EU membership, the purpose and makeup of the House of Lords, the bodge job of the Supreme Court implementation, regional devolution, and of course the very union itself. And outside about half of Scots and the small band of Lib Dems, no one can be arsed with any of that stuff either.

Doesn’t mean the royals should get complacent mind. Unlike the rest, there’s an easy answer to “what do we replace them with?”. Nothing. I’d stretch to a Lords clerk to literally rubber stamp acts of Parliament in place of royal assent but we must have plenty of them already.

Will it happen? I doubt it. Do I care? Not one way or the other. One does hear shall we say, unflattering rumours about the direct male heirs from time to time, so it can’t be entirely ruled out I suppose.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

We're having some fencing work done...... the barrier sort, not the sword type ...... and one chap who came to give a quote was complaining about the supply problems, due, he said the Brexit.
    You mean he’d clocked the EU flag in your window and added 30% to the price “because of Brexit”?
    We are currently waiting for 3 different tradesmen to source parts. There are random stock issues with lots of things at the moment which isn’t a problem if you can substitute items, it is a problem if you can’t
    eek said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

You mean he’d clocked the EU flag in your window and added 30% to the price “because of Brexit”?
    We are currently waiting for 3 different tradesmen to source parts. There are random stock issues with lots of things at the moment which isn’t a problem if you can substitute items, it is a problem if you can’t
    I find it hard to believe that anyone who spends much time online shopping won't have noticed problems with Brexit.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    ydoethur said:

Angus Robertson ... is relatively untainted by the current scandal given he’s currently outside politics and government.

Apart from the fact he already admitted he knew about Eck's "behaviour" years ago and did nothing
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Well he won't get the job will he if he does that.
    If Shadsy wants a new market at budget time, can I suggest "number of days before the inevitable u-turn" ?
    IanB2 said:

eek said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

I find it hard to believe that anyone who spends much time online shopping won't have noticed problems with Brexit.
    I’ve had no problem whatsoever with one exception. Knorr Chicken Stock Pots. Beef, fish, lamb etc... all fine. Just chicken. Other brands of chicken? Also fine. It’s a puzzle.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

IanB2 said:

Interesting, we had our fence done in January. No problems whatsoever.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Whilst Fox and Rose are clearly longshots, Farage does point the way for the egotist maverick who want to change the world. The trick is not to win elections it’s to worry the Tory party sufficiently so it does the job for you.
    Jonathan said:

Whilst Fox and Rose are clearly longshots, Farage does point the way for the egotist maverick who want to change the world. The trick is not to win elections it’s to worry the Tory party sufficiently so it does the job for you.

Brexit is such a success that Nigel Fucking Farage can retire with ease.

He's not running away before he gets the blame for the ongoing catastrofuck, AT ALL...
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Jonathan, slightly inaccurate, as defections and electoral victories (albeit EU rather than Westminster) were what prompted the referendum promise, possibly coupled with the probability (that did not occur) of it being something to jettison to please the Lib Dems in Coalition 2.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

It was an online system last time and worked perfectly, so there shouldn’t be any issues.

As for ethnicity, it’s all about skin colour, which is understandable to a certain extent if not strictly accurate.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    edited March 2021
    Candidates for directly elected offices like the London Mayor or the Governor or California need either the backing of a big party machine (Sadiq), or some kind of celebrity (Arnold Schwarzenegger), or ideally both.(Boris and Ken). Lawrence Fox doesn't have either so he's obviously not going to win. He's not enough of a celebrity, and the Tories have their own (crap) candidate. If they adopted him, maybe he'd get somewhere, but running against the lockdown which is the main government policy at the moment makes that unlikely.

So yes, a clear lay.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited March 2021

Mr. Jonathan, slightly inaccurate, as defections and electoral victories (albeit EU rather than Westminster) were what prompted the referendum promise, possibly coupled with the probability (that did not occur) of it being something to jettison to please the Lib Dems in Coalition 2.

I think is fair to say no Nige no Brexit, despite him not getting a whiff of direct political power. He presents a textbook to other would be egotistical nutcases out there. You just need to get 5-10 percent in the right places and keep gobbing off about moonshine on the telly.
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

LOL! No; we were discussing which type of panels to use. Anyway I'm not paying.... all of it anyway. We back onto a small car park and someone put their foot of the accelerator of their Chelsea tractor, instead of on the brake, when parking.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,673
    felix said:

Excl. undecideds:

via @Panelbase
    , 03 - 05 Mar
    Chgs. w/ Jan 2021

One can only hope.
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

Interesting, we had our fence done in January. No problems whatsoever.
    Apparently, round here anyway, people who make and mend fences are very busy. House owners have been at home looking at their gardens, and haven't spent their money on holidays.
    moonshine said:

IanB2 said:

eek said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

I’ve had no problem whatsoever with one exception. Knorr Chicken Stock Pots. Beef, fish, lamb etc... all fine. Just chicken. Other brands of chicken? Also fine. It’s a puzzle.
    Tesco have not had organic chicken for weeks , organic beef is similar. Though I just buy direct from the farm most of the time.
    Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

Angus Robertson ... is relatively untainted by the current scandal given he’s currently outside politics and government.

Apart from the fact he already admitted he knew about Eck's "behaviour" years ago and did nothing
    Hmmm a lot more involved than that methinks, ydoethur obviously has not followed the story at all. @ydoethur
    IanB2 said:

eek said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

The Porsche/BMW part underground railroad is fucked. Might have to get a fucking Qashqai loosely spannered together by a mackem leaver.
    Charles said:

If they do not publish it then they cannot use it in their report. Hence why Sturgeon has been so confident, anything incriminating has not been published.
    malcolmg said:

moonshine said:

IanB2 said:

eek said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Tesco have not had organic chicken for weeks , organic beef is similar. Though I just buy direct from the farm most of the time.
    So far, the only think we've had a problem with is the chicken variety of Bovril. No-one seems to have any.
    However we've an excellent independent butcher nearby and an equally excellent farm shop.

Grey again; birds have been doing their best to get singing but sometimes they seem discouraged! Much many like many politicians in this country.

Morning OKC, they are in fine voice around here.
    malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

Hmmm a lot more involved than that methinks, ydoethur obviously has not followed the story at all. @ydoethur
    I wonder how much of male 'not seeing' has been due to a perception that boys will be boys. Or something like that.
    Or possibly a covert 'I don't know how he gets away with it!'
    malcolmg said:

Morning Malc. Good lady still doing well, I hope.
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

If they do not publish it then they cannot use it in their report. Hence why Sturgeon has been so confident, anything incriminating has not been published.
    Can there not be a minority report that says the main report is an SNP-engineered cover-up?
  • Morning all! A few days off being here in Buchan for a month, and it looks like we are about to get our first spell of rain.
    Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

eek said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

The Porsche/BMW part underground railroad is fucked. Might have to get a fucking Qashqai loosely spannered together by a mackem leaver.
    Germany must be loving that Brexit boost...
    Jonathan said:

I think is fair to say no Nige no Brexit, despite him not getting a whiff of direct political power. He presents a textbook to other would be egotistical nutcases out there. You just need to get 5-10 percent in the right places and keep gobbing off about moonshine on the telly.
    What’s he said about me now!

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

LOL! No; we were discussing which type of panels to use. Anyway I'm not paying.... all of it anyway. We back onto a small car park and someone put their foot of the accelerator of their Chelsea tractor, instead of on the brake, when parking.
    A friend's mother ended her driving in her early 80's by doing the brake/accelerator thing in Tescos and totalling 6 cars, including a top of the range Merc.

She later had a sly smile of satisfaction that she had finally got the better end of the bargain from a lifetime of paying for car insurance...
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Charles said:

I think in this case the purported reason for not publishing some of the evidence is to protect the identity of complainants either directly or through "jigsaw identification". But as The Times appears to have Aberdein's evidence it can only be a matter of time before someone publishes it in redacted form.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

eek said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

So one of the burgeoning new Brexit bonus domestic industries could be the "steal to order" high end parts market. "So you need a front wing for a 993, it might take a week or two, but what colour would you like?"

malcolmg said:

Morning Malc. Good lady still doing well, I hope.
    OKC, yes thanks , doing not too bad, still has her bad days, not great if she gets cold/sniffles but overall doing good. She had chest x-rays recently so we will find out shortly how lungs are doing.
    She has all the classic long covid stuff still and given consultant said that as they could not ever work out what caused the COP it was likely viral. I am still of a mind it was Covid before the supposed start of it. If not it must be similar type of thing.
    Still all well.

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Can there not be a minority report that says the main report is an SNP-engineered cover-up?
    Given what we have seen and heard , anything other than it being critical will be for sure a whitewash. Of more interest will be James Hamilton QC inquiry, he is not limited by scope or SNP majority. Interesting to see his opinion.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    https://twitter.com/SundayTimesScot/status/1368460645964935170?s=20

But.....apparently these figures are not weighted by voter turnout (why?) and will be updated later this week....
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,667
    felix said:

felix said:

Excl. undecideds:

via @Panelbase
    , 03 - 05 Mar
    Chgs. w/ Jan 2021

That is my point - the Tories have shown willing at both party and voter level. Not so the other two.
    Of course. You have misunderstood the situation. We have it on the authority of HY no less, that the top priority for Conservatives is to defeat the SNP. It follows that Conservatives will vote for Lib Dem or Labour candidates if they have a good chance of defeating an SNP candidate.

On the other hand, most normal Labour and Lib Dem voters strongly dislike the Tories, and even more so under the leadership of the present shower. There is nothing I want to see as much as Conservative candidates defeated. I could even be persuaded to consider voting SNP (were the conditions right), so much do I detest and despise the present government.
    edited March 2021
    Deleted.

My error or Vanilla, who knows?
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    Reading last night's posts, I was reminded of this xkcd:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

If Sturgeon had ‘done nothing’ she would have been fine. It’s the interference in legal process that’s killing her credibility.

I agree it doesn’t speak well for Robertson’s personal integrity - but equally Ruth Davidson seems to have known about these allegations and she never raised it.
    edited March 2021

Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

eek said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

I suspect not. But then Germany didn't vote for the UK to leave.

So one of the burgeoning new Brexit bonus domestic industries could be the "steal to order" high end parts market. "So you need a front wing for a 993, it might take a week or two, but what colour would you like?"

The US has been the primary source for 993 parts for years now. A Dansk front wing is about $2,500 shipped!

I need a complete black 997 interior at the moment which is a bit of a challenge.

Just bought a 22,000km S54 BMW motor though so that's fucking mint.
  • IanB2 said:

eek said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

We have a weekly order from Asda and have not experienced any shortage problems and every Amazon order has been fulfilled

I am sure there are some supply problems but I have not been inconvenienced by them
    ClippP said:

felix said:

felix said:

Excl. undecideds:

via @Panelbase
    , 03 - 05 Mar
    Chgs. w/ Jan 2021

Of course. You have misunderstood the situation. We have it on the authority of HY no less, that the top priority for Conservatives is to defeat the SNP. It follows that Conservatives will vote for Lib Dem or Labour candidates if they have a good chance of defeating an SNP candidate.

On the other hand, most normal Labour and Lib Dem voters strongly dislike the Tories, and even more so under the leadership of the present shower. There is nothing I want to see as much as Conservative candidates defeated. I could even be persuaded to consider voting SNP (were the conditions right), so much do I detest and despise the present government.
    I thought Hyufd’s solution was simply to tell any Scots who wanted independence, ‘tanks?’

I am sure there are some supply problems but I have not been inconvenienced by them

Pure essence of Brexit...
    Dura_Ace said:

The US has been the primary source for 993 parts for years now. A Dansk front wing is about $2,500 shipped!

I need a complete black 997 interior at the moment which is a bit of a challenge.

Just bought a 22,000km S54 BMW motor though so that's fucking mint.
    In my day job, I deal with rogues and naywelltodos, among the genuine bone-fide business people. In my time with the ELV client base I have dealt with a couple of Cardiff guys who had done some time for dismantling other peoples Porsches. I also did work for a Land Rover breaker, who his competitors' inserted "what colour would you like?" between his first and last names when refering to him. If there is money in it people will give it a whirl, particularly when times are hard, time to put a big padlock on your workshop door.
  • Fox is a ghastly guy. He will be eviscerated but will be too thick skinned (or ACT too thick skinned) to care.

The Daily Mail and Daily Telegraph are repositories of moaners, a British pastime. I was at a vaccination centre the other day and some lady was moaning away loudly in front of everyone about having to wait 15 minutes after she'd received her jab.

IanB2 said:

eek said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

We have a weekly order from Asda and have not experienced any shortage problems and every Amazon order has been fulfilled

Well that's alright then!
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    Out of interest, with Scottish independence tending to trend toward no, is that generally because the nature of who leads the movement is the one trusted to deliver Indy itself? So Sturgeon suddenly feels untrustworthy: hit to the Indy movement.

Interesting challenge for the SNP if those two notions remain inextricably linked.
  • Scott_xP said:

The point you cannot come to terms with is we have left the EU and despite outstanding issues there is no political will to return
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

If Sturgeon had ‘done nothing’ she would have been fine. It’s the interference in legal process that’s killing her credibility.

I agree it doesn’t speak well for Robertson’s personal integrity - but equally Ruth Davidson seems to have known about these allegations and she never raised it.
    That is because as we saw in the court case , they were absolutely nothing and far far away from crimes. Any that did happen were by and with consenting adults.
    It is all just a few people did not like the boss being a hard barsteward.
    You still are far short on Robertson.

In my day job, I deal with rogues and naywelltodos, among the genuine bone-fide business people. In my time with the ELV client base I have dealt with a couple of Cardiff guys who had done some time for dismantling other peoples Porsches. I also did work for a Land Rover breaker, who his competitors' inserted "what colour would you like?" between his first and last names when refering to him. If there is money in it people will give it a whirl, particularly when times are hard, time to put a big padlock on your workshop door.

My 993 GT2 got stolen to order by bastards in Cyprus. It was completely fucked when I got it back so I parted it out.
  • IanB2 said:

eek said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

And I do not know anyone who has
  • The news that Govey has had his hands slapped for bullshit stats isn't a surprise. The evidence was clear from the Food and Drink Federation (the producers), the Federation of Wholesale Distributors (the wholesalers) and the Road Haulage Association (the hauliers) that volumes were very significantly lower than they have been.

That our government has chosen to act illegally in contravention of "lets go" WTO rules to not bother with most of the 3rd country checks they insisted on is the only reason things aren't much worse for importers as they are for exporters.

Hence the need to take action now. At the end of the month the first big wave of phased compliance with international trade law was due to come in. We aren't remotely ready, so they're going to kick it into the long grass. The accusation from the usual sources is "WHY ARE THESE BEASTLY EUROPEANS INSISTING ON CHECKS, OUR STANDARDS HAVEN'T CHANGED". Yes - that is true. But instead of accepting that we would keep the same excellent "we won't diminish food safety" standards, we insisted on 3rd country status because sovrintie.

There is still time for back scuttle action. Quietly strike what the Truss will parade as a NEW TRADING DEAL to reinstate most of the previous aligned standards. That way we don't need to keep throttling our ability to trade by trying to impose rules and regulations that we can't afford, can't physically implement and don't need.

The government keep putting out radio adverts telling whopping great lies to keep the ignorant ignorant - farmers should use NEW TRADE DEALS to flog cow carcasses to Tokyo. That there are no new trade deals and such trade is logistically insane doesn't matter - its propaganda. So all they need to do is tell a different lie to keep the ignorant ignorant and everyone can carry on as before...
  • IanB2 said:

eek said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Me neither. A few strawberry and raspberry supply issues in January but the supermarkets seem to have sorted them.

Scott XP tritely remarks that it's pure essence of Brexit but I do loads of online shopping and haven't been affected.

Interesting reading the Times over the past few days on the number of big deals heading the UK's way and the unexpected decision of Joe Biden's team to drop the tarrifs. Allied to the immigration tweak by the Home Office and we've started the ball rolling for the UK to be the Singapore of the West.

This country is likely to boom over the next decade. Bet accordingly.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,342
    moonshine said:

I was always pretty pro monarchy without ever really thinking about it. But it’s a bit like Father Christmas. One day you wake up and just realise that you don’t believe any more. Life remains more fun when you go along with the Father Christmas charade and all its silliness. And that’s pretty much what we do as a nation with the royals.

There’s no point to them but in the list of constitutional aberrations to debate and amend, they’re well below EU membership, the purpose and makeup of the House of Lords, the bodge job of the Supreme Court implementation, regional devolution, and of course the very union itself. And outside about half of Scots and the small band of Lib Dems, no one can be arsed with any of that stuff either.

Doesn’t mean the royals should get complacent mind. Unlike the rest, there’s an easy answer to “what do we replace them with?”. Nothing. I’d stretch to a Lords clerk to literally rubber stamp acts of Parliament in place of royal assent but we must have plenty of them already.

Will it happen? I doubt it. Do I care? Not one way or the other. One does hear shall we say, unflattering rumours about the direct male heirs from time to time, so it can’t be entirely ruled out I suppose.

The way law and legal change works in the modern world means that it would require a revolution. It takes reams of legal nonsense to make quite simple admin changes now, and examples abound in Statutory Instruments every day. Abolition of the monarchy would tie up government, parliament and admin for 10 years, ending with at least one new party, probably more (Lozza v Farage for PM anyone?) committed to the reintroduction of the monarchy.

No foreseeable government is going to touch an issue which is at one massively complex, long term, 10 times more divisive than Brexit and the GFA combined, is electoral suicide with no dividend in the popular mind. Notice that even Jezza killed the issue dead immediately and rapidly when he was asked. Salmond and Sturgeon won't touch it. No-one will.

Parliament can, has and would legislate for change within the system - abolition of male priority for example. That is fairly simple. Abolition is a nightmare.

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

That is because as we saw in the court case , they were absolutely nothing and far far away from crimes. Any that did happen were by and with consenting adults.
    Morning Malc, hope those turnips are all ready to throw at the Sturgeonites.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973

IanB2 said:

eek said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Me neither. A few strawberry and raspberry supply issues in January but the supermarkets seem to have sorted them.

Scott XP tritely remarks that it's pure essence of Brexit but I do loads of online shopping and haven't been affected.

Interesting reading the Times over the past few days on the number of big deals heading the UK's way and the unexpected decision of Joe Biden's team to drop the tarrifs. Allied to the immigration tweak by the Home Office and we've started the ball rolling for the UK to be the Singapore of the West.

No issues either this end. Though that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate the work undertaken by businesses to prepare / the effect it has had on some.

Interesting reading the Times over the past few days on the number of big deals heading the UK's way and the unexpected decision of Joe Biden's team to drop the tarrifs.

https://twitter.com/DavidGauke/status/1367888501862248450

IanB2 said:

eek said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Is anyone else finding it really hard to find honey at the moment?

I don’t think that’s necessarily due to Brexit, btw, there was a problem with bee disease last year, but it’s still a shame for those of us who like honey.

You this country, mean Little England?

BoZo is fuelling Irish reunification, Scottish independence, and even the Welsh are stirring
    edited March 2021
    Switzerland today goes to the polls to vote on an anti-Muslim constitutional amendment inspired by France’s laws on the burkhathat would ‘prohibit the wearing of face coverings in public.’

Head

Desk

Thump.

Although Contrarian will probably want to emigrate there...
  • ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

eek said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Is anyone else finding it really hard to find honey at the moment?

I don’t think that’s necessarily due to Brexit, btw, there was a problem with bee disease last year, but it’s still a shame for those of us who like honey.
    My 49 year old daughter loves honey but has suddenly discovered she is allergic to eating it

IanB2 said:

eek said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

And I do not know anyone who has
    Brie can be a problem. We have to make do with Perl Wen in these parts.
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

Morning ydoether, reading Macbeth at present.

Scott_xP said:

The point you cannot come to terms with is we have left the EU and despite outstanding issues there is no political will to return
    Once we join CPTPP, the prospect of having to leave that to rejoin the EU makes rejoin even more of a distant outcome.

Truss is single-handedly bricking up that route back to Brussels.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    edited March 2021
    ydoethur said:

Switzerland today goes to the polls to vote on an anti-Muslim constitutional amendment inspired by France’s laws on the burkhathat would ‘prohibit the wearing of face coverings in public.’

Head

Desk

Thump.

Although Contrarian will probably want to emigrate there...

Hopefully Laurence Fox will emigrate there. Somehow I can see him hunting down Muslims in the Swiss Alps, wearing a look of implacable pseudo-aristocratic stupidity.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Scott_xP said:
    Hilarious, absolutely hilarious.

I'm sure the minimum wage earning cashier will be heartbroken at the nurse earning much more than they earn getting a less than expected pay rise.

Especially in a year that many of the cashiers customers far from getting a pay rise have had substantial pay cuts or lost their job altogether.

What a laugh that is!

Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

eek said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

I suspect not. But then Germany didn't vote for the UK to leave.
    It has been part of the general twattishness to make life awkward for us by doing so.
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

Morning ydoether, reading Macbeth at present.
    What’s been done’s inane.

But I don’t quite see Robertson as a Caesar. Even if you think he is duff.
  • Scott_xP said:
    Why is Dunt so personal to those who do not agree with him

Is he half brain dead for his views or even 100% against understanding we are not in the EU
This discussion has been closed.