Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Even if Boris’s No 10 apartment refurbishment is funded by a charity a large slice of it will effect

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Andy_JS said:

Millions of people in England are living in neighbourhoods where there are close to no cases of Covid-19, official figures show.

Public Health England does not publish data for local areas with fewer than three cases “to protect individuals’ identities”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/millions-of-people-in-covid-notspots-with-almost-no-cases-in-their-area-98jjg0kdv

Good. Hopefully that will be all areas before too long.

We're defeating this bug.
    Vaccination and seasonality are defeating it. The experience of the US States shows most of the rest is sacrificing chickens to the gods
    Vaccination and lockdown are defeating it. The experience of the US States doesn't show what your cherrypicking desperately wants it to say.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Foxy said:

Imagine Club Med in Skegness.
    Christ, I once went past a Butlins and assumed it was the British equivalent of the Guantanamo Bay detention camp.
    No worse than Centre Parcs. The one in Sherwood also looks like a PoW camp with the 12 foot high fencing and razor wire.

Funnily enough, I believe the site was used as one in WW2.
    A couple of young families from work swore by Centre Parcs. It may be that standards have risen considerably in the last few years, as happened with cruise liners.
    Same here - a few at work with young families used to go and told me they were great.

They are probably fine inside if you like that kind of thing, but they don't look that great from the outside!
    My family love Centreparcs. I have to admit, it's superficially nice - but it's also utterly soulless, effectively imprisons you in a corporate version of a dull pine wood for the duration of your stay, necessitates you knowing in advance what activities you want to book in for at what times, and anything you do will work out at twice the price of the equivalent activities in the real world.
    And if you want to go in the school holidays its astronomically expensive.

But as I say, I'm in a minority of one in my family in holding these views.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405

Are these Sunday's numbers? In England they're up 12,784 in total 5,496 first/ 7,288 second on a week ago
    Yes. In addition we were told that there would be two weeks of lower numbers due to supply. Strangely, lower numbers have occurred for 2 weeks.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,994

It's almost as if there was a pattern here....

You know, you keep making these faintly patronising comments as if I don't know that there's a day of the week effect. I am fully aware there is.

Yet that return is poor even for a Tuesday (Sunday). I know this, you know this, there's no need for the snark.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225

Foxy said:

Christ, I once went past a Butlins and assumed it was the British equivalent of the Guantanamo Bay detention camp.
    No worse than Centre Parcs. The one in Sherwood also looks like a PoW camp with the 12 foot high fencing and razor wire.

A couple of young families from work swore by Centre Parcs. It may be that standards have risen considerably in the last few years, as happened with cruise liners.
    I took my son there years ago, just me and him, he was 5, and I lost him. He went missing whilst cycling around. Found him safe and sound eventually. The absolute worst 2 hours of my life.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548

Foxy said:

Same here - a few at work with young families used to go and told me they were great.

They are probably fine inside if you like that kind of thing, but they don't look that great from the outside!
    They have fences to keep you out.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611

Christ, is this the look that BJ and NutNuts are grifting money for?

https://twitter.com/80_mcswan/status/1366667867048054784?s=20

Us plebs tend to move the settee out of the way before hanging the wallpaper.

Now we know the error of our ways.
    That turn-of-the-century bordello look is going to be all the rage isn't it?

No?
    It's just the Red Wall look. Albeit slightly patterned.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

You know, you keep making these faintly patronising comments as if I don't know that there's a day of the week effect. I am fully aware there is.

Yet that return is poor even for a Tuesday (Sunday). I know this, you know this, there's no need for the snark.
    I just don't think there's a need to look at any individual day's data in isolation. As long as the 7 day average is rising that's good news and it looks like it is.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    You can never be woke enough....you think you are, but you aren't.....

Streaming platform Twitch has backtracked on a new policy to change its spelling of "women" after criticism from transgender communities.

The company had said it would use the term "womxn" in order to be more gender neutral in its language.

But LGBT communities online called the change transphobic because it suggested trans women were not women.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56251452

The only solution to this kind of incompatibility, it just to rip up the whole English language and start again from scratch.
  • Options

Are these Sunday's numbers? In England they're up 12,784 in total 5,496 first/ 7,288 second on a week ago
    They are slightly less shite than last week, but that's in the context of last week being a particularly shite return by recent standards.

Now, I hope and fully expect that things will rapidly improve (as we have been told). But, they have not improved yet and there is no sense in presenting today's return as anything other than underwhelming.

It's poor, even controlling for the day of the week effect.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    Selebian said:

I am afraid that I’ve actually been to Pontin’s. Circa 1993.

Was an abomination.

I went to one (Somerset) in mid 2000s and it actually wasn't that bad, accommodation wise (at least, the bit we stayed in). It all looked quite new, maybe it was. I've stayed in worse hotels. Should note that this was an ATP festival in closed season (April?) so it was not particularly busy and devoid of usual customers, just some drunk/stoned indie kids wandering around and Nick Cave sitting outside his chalet looking grumpy (think that's just his normal expression, so his accommodation might have been fine too).

I wouldn't have wanted to go in summer, any kind of resort place for a holiday is my idea of hell.
    There is a festival dedicated to Adenosine triphosphate? Cool.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,636
    edited March 2021
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

My family love Centreparcs. I have to admit, it's superficially nice - but it's also utterly soulless, effectively imprisons you in a corporate version of a dull pine wood for the duration of your stay, necessitates you knowing in advance what activities you want to book in for at what times, and anything you do will work out at twice the price of the equivalent activities in the real world.
    And if you want to go in the school holidays its astronomically expensive.

But as I say, I'm in a minority of one in my family in holding these views.
    Center Parcs was a lot nicer when it first opened in the late 80s and early 90s than it is now. The problem is they've turned a lot of it into quasi-housing estates, whereas originally everyone had to stay in the same small chalets that were disguised by woodland. That was the original idea from the Netherlands.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,929
    edited March 2021
    Interesting football fixture in West Africa this afternoon

• Options
    MaxPB said:

I just don't think there's a need to look at any individual day's data in isolation. As long as the 7 day average is rising that's good news and it looks like it is.
    It is, relative to the last seven days, which were the worst for a goodly while.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,391
    Nigelb said:

Christ, is this the look that BJ and NutNuts are grifting money for?

https://twitter.com/80_mcswan/status/1366667867048054784?s=20

Us plebs tend to move the settee out of the way before hanging the wallpaper.

Now we know the error of our ways.
    That turn-of-the-century bordello look is going to be all the rage isn't it?

No?
    It's just the Red Wall look. Albeit slightly patterned.
    To be fair, at least it is a change from the beige, grey and taupe that is all the rage with interior designers these days.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Andy_JS said:

Millions of people in England are living in neighbourhoods where there are close to no cases of Covid-19, official figures show.

Public Health England does not publish data for local areas with fewer than three cases “to protect individuals’ identities”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/millions-of-people-in-covid-notspots-with-almost-no-cases-in-their-area-98jjg0kdv

Vaccination and seasonality are defeating it. The experience of the US States shows most of the rest is sacrificing chickens to the gods
    Vaccination and lockdown are defeating it. The experience of the US States doesn't show what your cherrypicking desperately wants it to say.
    LOL Lockdown is such a benefit Boris wants to make sure its the last one ever.

See people like me are never letting go. We're going to keep saying there was a response to covid that didn't betray every single tory principle in the book and we're going to keep calling the modern tory party what it is. A repository for closet Blairites and careerist opportunists.

So get used to it
  • Options
    MattW said:

Foxy said:

Anyhoo, ex Change UK rock the Hi-de-Ho look. Anyone remember this person:

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Humblebrag time.

I must be one of the few PBers to have visited both Numbers 10 and 11, they are just way too small for a family to live in (and don't even get me started on the number of mice and rats I saw.)

There's a reason why PMs and Chancellors head off to Chequers and Dorneywood as often as possible.

We really need to move them out of Downing Street and somewhere more appropriate.

Plus why can't the current incumbents spend their own cash, they get a £30K a year allowance and can top that up with their own personal funds as the Camerons and Osbornes did. I understand Sunak is worth a few quid.

I do believe that Blair did look at copying the White House funding raising model but it was flagged up as a massive conflict of interests/ethics issue.

Whilst it is fine to donate to a political party, those donations do not wangle their way to the house the PM lives in.

As an aside, I want to be Foreign Secretary and live in Chevening full time.

I don't see why it would be a problem to just make No.10 and N0. 11 nothing but offices, and the office holders can live whereever they like, with a random 3 bed somewhere provided nearby if the incoming PM or Chancellor doesn't have a property close by.
    Don't pretty much all major countries give live in accomodation for the head of government?

I can't think of any that don't.

Probably to do with security implications and the fact they're pretty much on call 24/7.

I'd imagine the security costs for the PM living in a 3 bed nearby would dwarf maintenance of 10 Downing Street.
    Not if it was a grace and favour apartment in somewhere like St James’ Palace.
    If we were a republic that would be the sort of sensible place to house the PM.

The French have the The Élysée Palace it would make sense for St James' Palace or Buckingham Palace to be the PM's office and home.
    No it wouldn't, Buckingham Palace would be the home of the President as Head of State.

The French PM's official residence is the Hotel de Matignon, not the Elysee Palace which is the President's residence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hôtel_Matignon
    The President is the French Head of Government.
    The PM is the UK Head of Government.

When there's a G7 meeting Macron shakes hands* with Johnson.
    Macron doesn't shake hands* with Her Majesty the Queen.
    Johnson doesn't shake hands* with Castex whom I had to Google to find his name.

* Non Covid times.
    The president of France is also the French head of state. If we have a state visit from France then it's the Queen that hosts Macron, not Boris.
    True, just as the American President is dual Head of State and Head of Government.

If we were a Republic then Johnson could be Head of Government and Head of State.
    No, the US President is head of Government and Head of State and also the equivalent of the Queen.

Boris is only the equivalent of Nancy Pelosi in US terms as leader of the lower chamber in the national legislature.
    No he is not, you're getting tangled in semantics that don't work.

If the US President wants to discuss policy with the UK he calls the PM, not the Queen.
    If the PM wants to discuss policy with the US he calls the President, not Pelosi.

The idea that Pelosi is on the same level as the PM is ridiculous.
    Yes he is, if the US President wants to discuss policy with the UK he may chat with the PM but only in his role as the Queen's chief minister, it is still the Queen who heads the British armed forces and the Government officially, not Boris.

Pelosi is head of the largest party in the US lower house as Boris is head of the largest party in the UK lower house, that is the only power Boris has on his own terms. Any power Boris has beyond that is exercised by him merely on behalf of the Queen, not his own terms.
    Not true, because we are a democracy.

The Queen is a figurehead who answers to the PM and says whatever words he puts in front of her.
    The PM is in charge.
    No, the Queen as Head of State appoints each new PM to head her government and accepts the resignation of PMs.

The PM is not in charge officially, they may do most of the practical work of government but they only do so on behalf of the monarch, it is still technically the monarch who heads the nation and is commander in chief of the armed forces, not the PM.
    No the voters elect MPs who choose the PM.

The Queen is a figurehead whom everyone pretends appoints the PM. The Queen doesn't choose anything and hasn't for centuries.

You should familiarise yourself with how democracy works.
    No voters do not directly choose the PM nor do MPs.

Only the Queen appoints the PM, just by convention she picks the leader of the party which has won most seats in the House of Commons and that can command a majority in the House of Commons to do the role.

😂😂😂😂😂

Sure she does.

😂😂😂😂😂
    It's so tense after the election: will HM the Q endorse the person the voters thought they were getting for PM. Or will she send them away - and call for Peter Bone instead?
    Well said. I'm just waiting for the moment that HMQ calls the leader who lost the election. For s##ts and giggles.
    But... that is what happens no? I'm sure that I kept hearing that Corbyn had won the 2017 GE after all... ;)
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812

Foxy said:

The decor is not Carrie Symonds, but functional, not uncomfortable, nicely set in whichever forest, full of agreeable enough people (PB elite may disagree), but not cheap compared to my more typical house rental. The gaps between our children were a bit awkward as the narrow age ranges on activities are (for understandable reasons) rigidly enforced - a younger kid won't go on the same, e.g. archery activity, as a slightly older kid, even for parents supervised activities. And also, as a result, there isn't too much for under 5s.

For me, Center Parcs are probably best done a small number of times, a few years apart, and just for 3-4 days so the kids can do different things each time.

I've not even imagined going back to a Pontins or Butlins as an adult (aiui, the army were based out of Southport Pontins when surge testing Liverpool last autumn).
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,196
    edited March 2021
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    We have no money cries the BBC....so we are going to bring back a channel that nobody watched.

BBC Three will return as a fully-fledged TV channel in January 2022, six years after it moved online.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56251020

Are there any actual people in BBC management switched on to the youth? THEY DON'T WATCH TRADITIONAL TELLY.....the idea of a channel that comes on the moving picture box between set times where you watch your favourite programmes, that something that Granny used to do.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited March 2021

Andy_JS said:

See people like me are never letting go. We're going to keep saying there was a response to covid that didn't betray every single tory principle in the book and we're going to keep calling the modern tory party what it is. A repository for closet Blairites and careerist opportunists.

So get used to it
    And we'll keep telling you that US Republicans tried it your way, and as a result the House, Senate, and Presidency are now controlled by Democrats (the exact opposite of what you thought would happen, incidentally).

The electorate really loved that 'principled' plan, didn't they?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Streaming platform Twitch has backtracked on a new policy to change its spelling of "women" after criticism from transgender communities.

The company had said it would use the term "womxn" in order to be more gender neutral in its language.

But LGBT communities online called the change transphobic because it suggested trans women were not women.

The only solution to this kind of incompatibility, it just to rip up the whole English language and start again from scratch.

How are countries with highly gender-dependent languages coping with this sort of thing?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    AnneJGP said:

How are countries with highly gender-dependent languages coping with this sort of thing?
    In the article they mention the woke-ists that speak Spanish are trying to use new non-gender specific forms.

The problem is that you are going to spend all this effort and then as the story shows, offend some other minority group. It is why the extremists of identity politics is just madness, it is impossible to have a logical consistent conclusion, woman is patriarchal, so we use womxn, but then trans women identity as women, so womxn is transphobic...

The only outcome is rip everything up and start again from scratch.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    isam said:

I see we've had the Boris is responsible for 10s of thousands of deaths brigade on here again today. For the life of me I cannot see how this is possible - and I give him very little credit for vaccines either. Unless there was a meeting where someone said for example 'if we discharge all these oldies into care homes we risk spreading the virus into a vulnerable group'. I would be very very very surprised if this is the case and expect that in general advice from scientific advisers was followed. Isn't this just s case of people making decisions with the best available information?

Apparently it is the decision to send old people with Covid back to care homes, where it spread quickly and killed lots of other residents. This was at a time when no one knew much about Covid I guess.

What puzzles me is what would have happened if those people had not been sent back to their care homes, but stayed in hospital - wouldn't they have spread it like wildfire there and killed lots of other patients? I dont see how people say "it has caused x amount of deaths" without considering what would have happened had the covid carriers stayed in hospital
    It has nothing at all to do with the disease and everything to do with political point scoring. Just like why we have a thread today about soft furnishings. I'm waiting for someone to claim that Boris is 'literally murdering' huge sections of the population with flock!
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Ludicrously:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/comment/french-woke-get-way-gender-inclusive-terms-will-turn-language/
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Are shepherds key workers?
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Just ignoring it all, as we should do.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

AnneJGP said:

Ludicrously:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/comment/french-woke-get-way-gender-inclusive-terms-will-turn-language/
    If Le Pen wins the election next year, this is the sort of thing that will be to blame.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    MaxPB said:

AnneJGP said:

The problem is big companies are buying into this shit. Coke, with their be less white, Twitch with womxn, Mr / Mrs Potato-head gone.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    AnneJGP said:

There was an article recently on how this kind of messing about with language is causing grief for some communities, whose English isn't very good, when they visit hospitals etc - Not specifically "Womxn", but "chest feeding" and the like
  • Options
    Boris in positive territory in today's poll - 44/36 = +8
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140

We have no money cries the BBC....so we are going to bring back a channel that nobody watched.

BBC Three will return as a fully-fledged TV channel in January 2022, six years after it moved online.

Are there any actual people in BBC management switched on to the youth? THEY DON'T WATCH TRADITIONAL TELLY.....the idea of a channel that comes on the moving picture box between set times where you watch your favourite programmes, that something that Granny used to do.

My 7yo is baffled by the notion that some TV is "on" "now".

The BBC is still on her list of 3 favourite TV entertainment providers, though (Disney+, Netflix, BBC, in that order), because CBBC is still of outstanding quality.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

AnneJGP said:

The problem is big companies are buying into this shit. Coke, with their be less white, Twitch with womxn, Mr / Mrs Potato-head gone.
    I don't think I've heard about this very much at all in the real world, away from PB.

Not hanging out on Twitter helps.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

AnneJGP said:

Ludicrously:
    French harder to learn? Then don't bother. English is far superior - and accepted everywhere.

Just let your language wither, France.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200

Andy_JS said:

Hmmmm

I assume its referring to the MSOA data, so way smaller than the data for the areas posted. So that my area is Wiltshire but that has currently at least 10 MSOA's with 'suppressed data', including my location.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

More episodes of "Look what I've done to my genitals, Mum!" or some other crap. Better than the usual "Strictly does Casualty Pottery Throw-Up" with Rylan that passes itself off as the usual BBC 1 shite these days.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

AnneJGP said:

The Mr/Mrs potato head is weird because they are two different toys.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

MaxPB said:

AnneJGP said:

I don't think I've heard about this very much at all in the real world, away from PB.

As I say, the problem isn't that it is some idiots on Twitter arguing about which pronoun is right or wrong, big companies are doing this crap. Twitch (is Amazon) have got in trouble because they tried to go woke and instead offend another group of woke-ists.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

The primrose jacket looks as though it was ordered from the Theresa May 'Strong and Stable' Fashion Label.

Not the first bad mistake Sarah has made.
  • Options
    Any body would think there's an election looming........
  • Options

The Boris-love chips in the vaccines are working then.....
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

MattW said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

The primrose jacket looks as though it was ordered from the Theresa May 'Strong and Stable' Fashion Label.

Was my least favourite MP after her unlikely journey from 'pro Brexit backbencher' to EU flag waving FBPE spokesperson a week before the vote. That choice really didn't work out for her career.
  • Options

The Boris-love chips in the vaccines are working then.....
    Something is and it is annoying quite a few
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

En España es un problema! :smiley:
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

I see we've had the Boris is responsible for 10s of thousands of deaths brigade on here again today. For the life of me I cannot see how this is possible - and I give him very little credit for vaccines either. Unless there was a meeting where someone said for example 'if we discharge all these oldies into care homes we risk spreading the virus into a vulnerable group'. I would be very very very surprised if this is the case and expect that in general advice from scientific advisers was followed. Isn't this just s case of people making decisions with the best available information?

You do have something of a point, and it is made more credible by you not buying the idea that he was single headedly responsible for the fact we have one of the world's most advanced pharma industries, and consequently first rate advice in this area.

The point that does need to be made is that ministers are responsible for identifying problems either in advance or quickly afterward an apparent crisis and should respond with robust solutions. On this measure the government has been incompetent with respect to care homes and with respect to international travel restrictions. A lot of the problem comes from the top. Johnson is a vacillator, with an awful track record in office. His apologists are blinded to his leadership weakness by the fact that he won a "landslide" as though the latter is all that matters.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

So get used to it
    And we'll keep telling you that US Republicans tried it your way, and as a result the House, Senate, and Presidency are now controlled by Democrats (the exact opposite of what you thought would happen, incidentally).

The electorate really loved that 'principled' plan, didn't they?
    The fact that people don't agree with you doesn't necessarily make you wrong.

Contrarian's plan is probably a vote loser. But that doesn't mean it is or isn't the right approach.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

AnneJGP said:

Also, you can make them anything you want already....Mr Potato head can be trans if you want, be a man, a woman, a womxn. Up to you, just stick a different hair / eyes / mouth etc on it.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,634

MaxPB said:

AnneJGP said:

It is easy to ignore. No need to take it seriously. A company can market its toys, or a soda company its sugary water however they choose. It is just marketing fashion.
  • Options
    █████████ but ███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442

Selebian said:

I am afraid that I’ve actually been to Pontin’s. Circa 1993.

Was an abomination.

I went to one (Somerset) in mid 2000s and it actually wasn't that bad, accommodation wise (at least, the bit we stayed in). It all looked quite new, maybe it was. I've stayed in worse hotels. Should note that this was an ATP festival in closed season (April?) so it was not particularly busy and devoid of usual customers, just some drunk/stoned indie kids wandering around and Nick Cave sitting outside his chalet looking grumpy (think that's just his normal expression, so his accommodation might have been fine too).

I wouldn't have wanted to go in summer, any kind of resort place for a holiday is my idea of hell.
    There is a festival dedicated to Adenosine triphosphate? Cool.
    Well, I always assumed that was what it stood for. What else could it have been? Don't think it was advanced train protection.

Although, you might have thought they would have invited a livelier lineup... Not a great deal of energy on display.
  • Options
    Whilst we're talking internal decor, it was a relief that there is nothing in the Palace of RP that is so awful as to need swift replacement. However, I note with some amusement that shared comments about the (electric) shower not being much cop now has Mrs RP getting quotes for a new bathroom...

What I am most exercised about is the fekking boiler which appears to have drunk about £250 of oil in just under a month. Fault in the control system means it needs to be manually switched on and off in the external boiler house and with its age it's probably got the same thermal efficiency as a string vest on a Bigg Market drunken night out.

Looking at replacement ideas have stumbled upon biomass. Apparently I can get over £18k of funding to install a biomass boiler! Sounds fab...
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

Wasn’t she the one of the dancing instructors?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993
    Completely off topic, Merck has agreed a deal with J&J to manufacture the Janssens vaccine under license. This will more than double the number of J&J doses manufactured this year to around a billion. The first vaccines should roll off the production line in May.

This means that Moderna, Pfizer, AstraZeneca and J&J are all expecting to produce around a billion (or more doses) this year.

Completely off topic (number two). Moderna expects to make $18bn in revenue from CV19 vaccines this year. This is from a company that had never sold a product before.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

AnneJGP said:

Also, you can make them anything you want already....Mr Potato head can be trans if you want, be a man, a woman, a womxn. Up to you, just stick a different hair / eyes / mouth etc on it.
    Doubtless, that notion will trigger somebody.....
  • Options

They are slightly less shite than last week, but that's in the context of last week being a particularly shite return by recent standards.

Now, I hope and fully expect that things will rapidly improve (as we have been told). But, they have not improved yet and there is no sense in presenting today's return as anything other than underwhelming.

And yet we've vaccinated over 20 million people since the start. Its not that long ago that some were suggesting vaccines were the next nuclear fusion - (always 30 years away). I will admit to obsessing over data, and checking cases etc every day at 4, but I really do think that the weekend effect is huge in these numbers, so worrying that a number is poor is over the top. The total for the week would be my minimum sample size.
    Its like the BBC constantly comparing one days cases and deaths to the previous day, rather than the week. I think that they are starting to get this right now, but its taken a year.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

AnneJGP said:

It is easy to ignore. No need to take it seriously. A company can market its toys, or a soda company its sugary water however they choose. It is just marketing fashion.
    Don't worry. Constable Savage will be arresting people for wearing loud shirts in built up areas, just as normal.

Probably tasering people for describing coffee as black, though, after his diversity course....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Completely off topic, Merck has agreed a deal with J&J to manufacture the Janssens vaccine under license. This will more than double the number of J&J doses manufactured this year to around a billion. The first vaccines should roll off the production line in May.

This means that Moderna, Pfizer, AstraZeneca and J&J are all expecting to produce around a billion (or more doses) this year.

Completely off topic (number two). Moderna expects to make $18bn in revenue from CV19 vaccines this year. This is from a company that had never sold a product before.

AZ just made $1bn from selling their Moderna stake!

Good news about Merck licencing the J&J vaccine for production. I do wonder whether J&J mixed with AZ for two doses might be absolutely brilliant because there will be no vector immunity.
  • Options

Whilst we're talking internal decor, it was a relief that there is nothing in the Palace of RP that is so awful as to need swift replacement. However, I note with some amusement that shared comments about the (electric) shower not being much cop now has Mrs RP getting quotes for a new bathroom...

What I am most exercised about is the fekking boiler which appears to have drunk about £250 of oil in just under a month. Fault in the control system means it needs to be manually switched on and off in the external boiler house and with its age it's probably got the same thermal efficiency as a string vest on a Bigg Market drunken night out.

Looking at replacement ideas have stumbled upon biomass. Apparently I can get over £18k of funding to install a biomass boiler! Sounds fab...

Just a genuine query but didn't your survey comment on the oil boiler?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

AnneJGP said:

Ludicrously:
    If Le Pen wins the election next year, this is the sort of thing that will be to blame.
    But 'Le' Pen will be banned, surely? :wink:
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,940

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

AnneJGP said:

The woke people I happen to follow on Twitter thought the womxn thing was hilarious. Not a term they would have chosen in a million years (IIRC it has a 70s RadFem heritage - taking "men" out of the name for "women" etc etc).

Meanwhile I’m sure the Mr/Mrs Potato-Head thing is a subtle bit of right-wing trolling by the relevant brand managers: what better way to get your product into the press (for free!) right now than a spot of gender re-branding to trigger the right-wing press? It’s perfect.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

AnneJGP said:

As I say, the problem isn't that it is some idiots on Twitter arguing about which pronoun is right or wrong, big companies are doing this crap. Twitch (is Amazon) have got in trouble because they tried to go woke and instead offend another group of woke-ists.
    I'm with @Philip_Thompson on this - in the real world, I've seen close to nothing. And every time someone's stupid PowerPoint leaks, while it makes Twitter mad, it makes it less likely an actual company does this kind of "training".
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Sir Keir has 31 Gross Positives.

Very close to Ed Miliband at the same stage of his leadership

Boris' 44 is pretty similar to Cameron

I guess if the result at the next GE were the same as Dave vs Ed, Labour would consider that progress though
  • Options
    isam said:

Apparently it is the decision to send old people with Covid back to care homes, where it spread quickly and killed lots of other residents. This was at a time when no one knew much about Covid I guess.

What puzzles me is what would have happened if those people had not been sent back to their care homes, but stayed in hospital - wouldn't they have spread it like wildfire there and killed lots of other patients? I dont see how people say "it has caused x amount of deaths" without considering what would have happened had the covid carriers stayed in hospital
    They knew precisely what would happen when they discharged Covid suspect patients into care homes untested - that evidence has already been made public. The alternative was to test them first before release - only send in the negative ones. Yes, some would have been false negatives, but it would have both reduced infection rates and shown that they gave a shit.

Or, just come clean. "The NHS was at risk of collapse. We had no alternative but to clear the hospitals, it was a hard decision, we took it in good faith, it was the least worst option". That would be fine. Instead we initially get utter denial, then "yes we did it, perfectly safe", then "you can't blame us".

Yes we can blame you.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

This whole 'being a laird' thing sounds easier than I thought...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

AnneJGP said:

Big companies seek free publicity, news at 10.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    Brom said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

Was my least favourite MP after her unlikely journey from 'pro Brexit backbencher' to EU flag waving FBPE spokesperson a week before the vote. That choice really didn't work out for her career.
    Any worse than the journey that Boris Johnson made from one article to the other on Brexit. "Eeny meany, ere er er, mo; catch a er ere er by his toe, if I squeals, let in Gove. Oh, crikey, I'd better er er er pretend to believe in this pile of dog shit. It's going to be great! That's it, get self-harm done, and bugger the er er er blasted consequences! The integrity of the UK? Oh fuck the UK! Advance the agenda of Vladimir Putin? Oh fuck the British national interest, and fuck business too. Hey that's a jolly good er er er slogan, what?"
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Good news about Merck licencing the J&J vaccine for production. I do wonder whether J&J mixed with AZ for two doses might be absolutely brilliant because there will be no vector immunity.
    That's a very interesting idea - albeit not one I know enough about. My gut (dangerous thing, guts) tells me that showing the immune system two slightly different invaders is probably a better idea than showing them two of the same.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Humblebrag time.

I must be one of the few PBers to have visited both Numbers 10 and 11, they are just way too small for a family to live in (and don't even get me started on the number of mice and rats I saw.)

There's a reason why PMs and Chancellors head off to Chequers and Dorneywood as often as possible.

We really need to move them out of Downing Street and somewhere more appropriate.

Plus why can't the current incumbents spend their own cash, they get a £30K a year allowance and can top that up with their own personal funds as the Camerons and Osbornes did. I understand Sunak is worth a few quid.

I do believe that Blair did look at copying the White House funding raising model but it was flagged up as a massive conflict of interests/ethics issue.

Whilst it is fine to donate to a political party, those donations do not wangle their way to the house the PM lives in.

As an aside, I want to be Foreign Secretary and live in Chevening full time.

I don't see why it would be a problem to just make No.10 and N0. 11 nothing but offices, and the office holders can live whereever they like, with a random 3 bed somewhere provided nearby if the incoming PM or Chancellor doesn't have a property close by.
    Don't pretty much all major countries give live in accomodation for the head of government?

I can't think of any that don't.

Probably to do with security implications and the fact they're pretty much on call 24/7.

I'd imagine the security costs for the PM living in a 3 bed nearby would dwarf maintenance of 10 Downing Street.
    Not if it was a grace and favour apartment in somewhere like St James’ Palace.
    If we were a republic that would be the sort of sensible place to house the PM.

The French have the The Élysée Palace it would make sense for St James' Palace or Buckingham Palace to be the PM's office and home.
    No it wouldn't, Buckingham Palace would be the home of the President as Head of State.

The French PM's official residence is the Hotel de Matignon, not the Elysee Palace which is the President's residence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hôtel_Matignon
    The President is the French Head of Government.
    The PM is the UK Head of Government.

When there's a G7 meeting Macron shakes hands* with Johnson.
    Macron doesn't shake hands* with Her Majesty the Queen.
    Johnson doesn't shake hands* with Castex whom I had to Google to find his name.

* Non Covid times.
    No the PM is not the UK Head of Government, HM The Queen is the UK Head of Government, the PM is merely her chief minister.

The Queen is Macron's equivalent as Head of State here, that is why when French Presidents come here they go to state dinners and meetings at Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle with the Queen not state dinners at No 10, even if the PM may also meet them and attend such dinners.

At the G7 Boris only shakes hands with Macron as the Queen's chief minister, not on his own terms, in the order of political hierarchy Boris is the equivalent of Castex the French PM.
    You do know Henry VIII of England is dead?
    Not in our hearts.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718
    Selebian said:

Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

AnneJGP said:

Ludicrously:
    But 'Le' Pen will be banned, surely? :wink:
    Jean Marie is a bloke, but not woke.
  • Options

BBC Three was an early adopter of a trend which has significantly ramped up. My YouTube Premium subscription allows me to watch a whole load of fantastically well made stuff which would in the past only have been made to go on TV. Why bother putting it on a channel? Available to stream on iPlayer is hardly an inconvenience, especially for that demographic.
  • Options

isam said:

They knew precisely what would happen when they discharged Covid suspect patients into care homes untested - that evidence has already been made public. The alternative was to test them first before release - only send in the negative ones. Yes, some would have been false negatives, but it would have both reduced infection rates and shown that they gave a shit.

Or, just come clean. "The NHS was at risk of collapse. We had no alternative but to clear the hospitals, it was a hard decision, we took it in good faith, it was the least worst option". That would be fine. Instead we initially get utter denial, then "yes we did it, perfectly safe", then "you can't blame us".

Yes we can blame you.
    As you are in Scotland is your comment directed at Sturgeon whose record on nursing homes is abymissal
  • Options
    @MaxPB - do you know if the UK's Moderna doses (that have apparently arrived recently) come from the Lonza plant in Switzerland?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

As someone who used specify, design, and install Biomass heating systems, I would personally recommend thinking seriously about the higher-end European brands. Biomass boilers have a lot of moving parts and obviously high temperatures so you want good materials for longevity. Certainly don't go (without further consideration) for whatever installers offer you by default as that will probably be whatever product they get the highest discount on.

Most biomass boilers in this country went in purely for the subsidy when the RHI was quite frankly ridiculous. The value will depend on the cost of oil which is hard to predict.
  • Options
    The one that has been baffling me this week has been the "Irishman and a Dead Horse" story.

A bloke perched on a recently dead horse whilst he was making a phone call, as there was nowhere else to perch.

And ...?

Yet the entire industry has put on dust and ashes, and gone into pre-emptive self-hating meltdown like a deranged sociology lecturer.

Huh?
  • Options

And yet we've vaccinated over 20 million people since the start. Its not that long ago that some were suggesting vaccines were the next nuclear fusion - (always 30 years away). I will admit to obsessing over data, and checking cases etc every day at 4, but I really do think that the weekend effect is huge in these numbers, so worrying that a number is poor is over the top. The total for the week would be my minimum sample size.
    Its like the BBC constantly comparing one days cases and deaths to the previous day, rather than the week. I think that they are starting to get this right now, but its taken a year.
    Indeed, but it's worth noting that the last couple of weeks are a good chalk off where we need to be.

Again (and I know you are not saying this) I am happy to forecast a sharp uptick – yet keeping a note of the daily and weekly numbers is instructive. We do need to get cracking.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335
    Phil said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

AnneJGP said:

The woke people I happen to follow on Twitter thought the womxn thing was hilarious. Not a term they would have chosen in a million years (IIRC it has a 70s RadFem heritage - taking "men" out of the name for "women" etc etc).

Meanwhile I’m sure the Mr/Mrs Potato-Head thing is a subtle bit of right-wing trolling by the relevant brand managers: what better way to get your product into the press (for free!) right now than a spot of gender re-branding to trigger the right-wing press? It’s perfect.
    It's almost certainly that, but it risks storing up trouble for the firm (and others like it) in the long-term when there's a political backlash to it.

My views on it are similar to David Baddiel.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

AnneJGP said:

Exactly - you can 'mash' it up as you see fit!
  • Options
    isam said:

I guess if the result at the next GE were the same as Dave vs Ed, Labour would consider that progress though
    Of course: if they took the Conservative majority from 80 to 10, that would be enormous progress. Not enough, admittedly to get into number 10, but enough to make the Conservatives life very interesting.
  • Options
    Never look at the figures from a single day. Look at the weekly numbers.
  • Options

Just a genuine query but didn't your survey comment on the oil boiler?
    Of course! Said it was "old and shit" - hence the plan to get it replaced sharpish. I had already researched Scottish government cash being available, but am genuinely surprised at the combined ScotGov/OFGEM largesse for Biomass. That the programmer appears to have thrown a 7 was new news.
  • Options

Unsolicited advice, but here goes - consider ground source heat pump. Advised my uncle to get it for his new build near Elgin - they love it, house always warm. I'd make sure you have a real fire somewhere (I believe you may have posted that you do) for when the leccy fails...
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    edited March 2021

Unsolicited advice, but here goes - consider ground source heat pump. Advised my uncle to get it for his new build near Elgin - they love it, house always warm. I'd make sure you have a real fire somewhere (I believe you may have posted that you do) for when the leccy fails...
    However a ground source heat pump is a terrible idea for an older property without good insulation, which I believe @RochdalePioneers's home is.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@MaxPB - do you know if the UK's Moderna doses (that have apparently arrived recently) come from the Lonza plant in Switzerland?

Yes, they did. Apparently due to be distributed soon after they've been certified.
  • Options
    isam said:

Which poll is this?
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    MattW said:

The one that has been baffling me this week has been the "Irishman and a Dead Horse" story.

A bloke perched on a recently dead horse whilst he was making a phone call, as there was nowhere else to perch.

And ...?

Yet the entire industry has put on dust and ashes, and gone into pre-emptive self-hating meltdown like a deranged sociology lecturer.

Huh?

WTAF? Is that really all that story is about? I have to say that I totally assumed he'd been shooting the horse whilst on the phone, or got caught saying 'yeah I'm just sending Red Rum to the glue factory - useless piece of sh*t, wasn't ever going to win anything' or something like that. At which point the reaction is a bit over the top (in my opinion) but understandable.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

That's a very interesting idea - albeit not one I know enough about. My gut (dangerous thing, guts) tells me that showing the immune system two slightly different invaders is probably a better idea than showing them two of the same.
    Definitely - the issue with "two doses the same" is the immune system responds to the vector in the second dose and nukes it before it can react to what you want it to react to - which is why a trial of AZ & Sputnik is underway:

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-astrazeneca-announcing-clinical-trial-programme-to-assess-combination-of-the-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-and-the-sputnik-v-vaccine/
  • Options

As someone who used specify, design, and install Biomass heating systems, I would personally recommend thinking seriously about the higher-end European brands. Biomass boilers have a lot of moving parts and obviously high temperatures so you want good materials for longevity. Certainly don't go (without further consideration) for whatever installers offer you by default as that will probably be whatever product they get the highest discount on.

Most biomass boilers in this country went in purely for the subsidy when the RHI was quite frankly ridiculous. The value will depend on the cost of oil which is hard to predict.
    Thanks, will keep that in mind! Have got a "buy Bosch" policy at the moment for appliances for the same reasoning - buy cheap, buy twice etc
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    MattW said:

And ...?

Huh?

I was a bit confused. It’s like they all assumed there’d be a massive controversy and acted as if it had happened. In reality, it’s a recently dead animal and no one cares. He has to sit somewhere to ring the glue factory.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    I know we have some real “music” fans on here after the discussion the other night.

If you like Coldplay, you’ll love “Jackie Weaver’s Kicked Him Out” by Helifonix feat. Jackie Weaver.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/mar/02/zoom-legend-jackie-weaver-cuts-first-dance-track
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Brom said:

The accolade of My Least Favourite MP in the 2017-2019 Parliament is not an easy one to decide.

I don't much like Sarah for the reasons you say, but she may not even make the top 50 in my list of least favourite MPs in the 2017-2019 Parliament.

I think Dominic Grieve might be one of my least favourite MPs in the 2017-2019 Parliament -- serial & gratuitous lying dressed up as smarmy principle. Perhaps not top, but he's certainly in the Hateful Eight.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948
    MattW said:

theProle said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

There is a pot into which the following should be put: public heritage buildings, obligation to remain faithful to the vernacular, modern day living arrangements and tastes, the necessity or custom for PMs to live at No.10, public and private living areas.

But frankly I am too busy today to work it all out.

tl/dr? There is a case for the public purse to pay for some upkeep and redecoration of No.10 or it would still be wattle and daub. In conjunction with heritage organisations, perhaps.

But a charity? Sounds very shady. Are we sure that's what has happened?

FPT, there is apparently a £30k pa budget.
    Ah thanks. Wouldn't that be more appropriate for a mid-terrace house in Harlow?

I mean this is a bit of the why does the PM fly by PJ/first class thing. Because he is the PM. Because it's No.10 - an iconic building, etc...
    To put it in perspective I redid my study last year - a new built in bookcase a d chest of drawers, stone floor, some electrics. Cost £20k.

It’s nice but doesn’t look flashy.

£30k doesn’t go far in London prices
    Ouch. I gutted my entire northern 3 bed house (pretty much reduced it to a brick shell), moved several stud walls, re-plastered every wall, overboarded or replaced all the ceilings, full rewire, new double glazed windows, new kitchen and bathroom, new (expensive) laminate flooring for all downstairs, redecorated everything, and it cost about £40k all up.
    Nothing structural, them.

And the bonus of keeping the existing central heating :smile: .
    Kept the boiler and radiators, but re-plumbed it all, relocated the boiler, and put a extra radiator in the bathroom.

I'm a bit puzzled why this should cost so much more down South - the materials should cost about the same. Presumably trademans rates are higher (because of the cost of housing?), but it still seems long way adrift!

I also only paid £90k for the house about 8 years ago, so it's cost me about £130k all up (it was done up about 2 years ago after I decided it really was beyond DIY level to do properly). Why anyone in their right mind lives in the SE I've no idea...!
This discussion has been closed.