Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Even if Boris’s No 10 apartment refurbishment is funded by a charity a large slice of it will effect

SystemSystem Posts: 11,003
edited March 2021 in General
imageEven if Boris’s No 10 apartment refurbishment is funded by a charity a large slice of it will effectively be at a cost to the public purse – politicalbetting.com

The Mail is reporting this morning that Boris is planning to setup a special charity to pay for what it describes as a lavish refurbishment of the apartment where the PM and his finance live in Downing Street. The Mail goes on:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,543
    First?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited March 2021
    This header means Covid is over.

And Boris has got away with the tens of thousands of Covid deaths that the media had tried to lay at his door. Because....soft furnishings.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,035
    A great post-Covid header!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,193
    There is a pot into which the following should be put: public heritage buildings, obligation to remain faithful to the vernacular, modern day living arrangements and tastes, the necessity or custom for PMs to live at No.10, public and private living areas.

But frankly I am too busy today to work it all out.

tl/dr? There is a case for the public purse to pay for some upkeep and redecoration of No.10 or it would still be wattle and daub. In conjunction with heritage organisations, perhaps.

But a charity? Sounds very shady. Are we sure that's what has happened?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

And Boris has got away with the tens of thousands of Covid deaths that the media had tried to lay at his door. Because....soft furnishings.

Boris doesn't have any deaths at his door, disease happens. Pandemics happen. That is nature.

What mankind can do is develop vaccines and along with Israel the UK is first and one of the best in the world for that.

So let's all talk about wallpaper that is not being billed to taxpayers. 🙄
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,434

Indeed, stories about expensive renovations and posh wallpaper and it's like the late 90s again. Simpler times.
  • Options
    fpt Nick Palmer and canvassing/leafleting - had a communication from my local Party that it will be allowed from 8th March "whilst complying with Covid best practice".

Shame I have left that Party but still.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,226

As opposed to yesterday's scandal that Labour's Angela Rayner was gouging the tax-payer for *checks notes* free engraving?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,903
    YouGov has a new subject for chat 'What should the government do differently if there’s a new pandemic?"

'K'nell, we haven't finished with the last one yet!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,299

Boris doesn't have any deaths at his door, disease happens. Pandemics happen. That is nature.

What mankind can do is develop vaccines and along with Israel the UK is first and one of the best in the world for that.

Boris has a magic about him and shouldn't be judged on his past. In office however, he should be held to the same high standards as we'd hold any Prime Minister to.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Um, glad to hear you are firing on all cylinders.

In time there will be a public enquiry about all this and it may well find that actions taken caused further deaths.

Now, I am more a fan of the "heat of battle" theory of coping with such events but we must all wait for that enquiry before we can say with any certainty whatsoever that he "doesn't have any deaths at his door". Or that he does, for that matter.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,241
    edited March 2021
    Humblebrag time.

I must be one of the few PBers to have visited both Numbers 10 and 11, they are just way too small for a family to live in (and don't even get me started on the number of mice and rats I saw.)

There's a reason why PMs and Chancellors head off to Chequers and Dorneywood as often as possible.

We really need to move them out of Downing Street and somewhere more appropriate.

Plus why can't the current incumbents spend their own cash, they get a £30K a year allowance and can top that up with their own personal funds as the Camerons and Osbornes did. I understand Sunak is worth a few quid.

I do believe that Blair did look at copying the White House funding raising model but it was flagged up as a massive conflict of interests/ethics issue.

Whilst it is fine to donate to a political party, those donations do not wangle their way to the house the PM lives in.

As an aside, I want to be Foreign Secretary and live in Chevening full time.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,325
    Poor attempt to smear Johnson for doing something so that it doesn't come out of the public purse.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,241
    edited March 2021
    I see the snowflakes were getting upset at the Prince NutNut moniker.

I'm sure none of them have ever used or laughed at say Nicola Sturgeon being called Janette Krankie.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,374

I think she's his fiancée, not his finance.

Good point!

Are you some kind of magician, by the way? I see that you have zero posts, notwithstanding the above. Also a total of 20 likes on 0 posts. That's highly impressive, your average per post is... infinite :smile:
  • Options

This story may contain Nut-Nuts....

There is an interesting political element here - hidden behind the wallpaper. Not that I expect the press to get their scrapers out....
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

There is an interesting political element here - hidden behind the wallpaper. Not that I expect the press to get their scrapers out....
    I personally believe that government indecision - ultimately Boris’s - cost tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths.

Yet I do struggle to get angry about it.

Am I morally deficient somehow?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,374
    On topic, presumably that Tory grouping from the 1800s that was calling for an investigation into the role of Carrie will be happier now she's apparently doing more spouse-appropriate things such as choosing wallpaper? :wink:
  • Options

So much for all that Yaaaarkshurrrrr bollocks.

They always said you were a Man of Kent. Or something.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491
    TimS said:

Indeed, stories about expensive renovations and posh wallpaper and it's like the late 90s again. Simpler times.
    Roll up, Roll up, sweetheart government contracts, going through on a nod and a wink, for the price of a roll of wallpaper?

Life in the kleptocracy...
  • Options

Philip, if you can't see this story as at the very least looking very dodgy, can I suggest you book an eye test? I have it on good authority that there is a very good optician in County Durham.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    TOPPING said:

In time there will be a public enquiry about all this and it may well find that actions taken caused further deaths.

Now, I am more a fan of the "heat of battle" theory of coping with such events but we must all wait for that enquiry before we can say with any certainty whatsoever that he "doesn't have any deaths at his door". Or that he does, for that matter.
    All prime ministers will have "deaths at their door". Decisions have consequences and if you are leading a government you will need to make decisions that will kill people, often on the basis that saving those lives would cost too much money rather than the more dramatic "let's bomb X".
    With the benefit of hindsight we can see a number of things we would now do differently, and in many cases at the time there were a lot of people calling for what now appears to be the better decision, but in most cases there were those calling for the opposite.
    I think it would be essential to have a major enquiry (inquiry?) into the government's response if only to learn what lessons we can, but it it is just designed to find fault then those who might end up being blamed will not be prepared to cooperate and we will not learn nearly as much as we might.

• Options

So much for all that Yaaaarkshurrrrr bollocks.

They always said you were a Man of Kent. Or something.
    If I can live in Manchester, I can live anywhere and retain my Yorkshire heritage.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

I would bet the contents of my garage that this anti NutNuts campaign is being orchestrated by Gove.

Or Sarah V?
  • Options

Philip, if you can't see this story as at the very least looking very dodgy, can I suggest you book an eye test? I have it on good authority that there is a very good optician in County Durham.
    Copying the charity the Americans have used for decades?

If that's your definition of dodgy then you have an extraordinarily low threshold for dodgy. I'll pass thanks.

Considering this charity was first introduced by LBJ its funny I've never heard about the scandal around this associated with LBJ before? I thought LBJ was disliked because of Vietnam, not because of wallpapers or magnolia. Learn something every day.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Dura_Ace said:

I would bet the contents of my garage that this anti NutNuts campaign is being orchestrated by Gove.

I don't think he's that stupid.

Anyone going after her will be out the door surely, just like Cummings, and quite right too. Anyone attacking my wife would not be on my good books so I expect the same from Johnson.

Gove is definitely a schemer but you need to pick your battles. Picking a battle with the 'first lady' is suicide so he's an idiot if he's doing that.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,346

Poor attempt to smear Johnson for doing something so that it doesn't come out of the public purse.

Or they could just.... Not redecorate and live with TMay's "John Lewis furniture nightmare" (quote from The Times), like any normal person would.

Besides, everyone knows that there's no point redecorating when you've just had a baby. Mark my words, it'll need redoing faster than you can say "Darling, how many times have I asked you to keep the Sharpies out of Wilfed's reach?"
  • Options

If that's your definition of dodgy then you have an extraordinarily low threshold for dodgy. I'll pass thanks.

Considering this charity was first introduced by LBJ its funny I've never heard about the scandal around this associated with LBJ before? I thought LBJ was disliked because of Vietnam, not because of wallpapers or magnolia. Learn something every day.
    That wonderful old incorruptible, LBJ.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,226
    Perhaps in the list of reasons the Prime Minister might retire before 2024, this provides more evidence that Boris is cash-strapped.

Last week as I was applauding Boris's performance, other PBers debated whether he looked 80 or just 70 years old. If Boris does hope to make serious money on the American lecture circuit, he must keep a rheumy eye on the calendar.

Theresa May outdoes Boris Johnson with £1m from speech fees

... The former prime minister earned £136,000 last month [September] for delivering a speech in Seoul on global responses to the coronavirus pandemic. It takes her total for after-dinner talks so far this year to more than £1 million.

The fee means that the MP for Maidenhead appears to have surpassed Boris Johnson for after-dinner earning power.

Before becoming prime minister in July [2019], Mr Johnson was paid £123,000 to fly to India and address a publishing company in the New Delhi quarter of Connaught Place.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/theresa-may-outdoes-boris-johnson-with-1m-from-speech-fees-8cvwnhvxd (£££)
  • Options

Or they could just.... Not redecorate and live with TMay's "John Lewis furniture nightmare" (quote from The Times), like any normal person would.

Besides, everyone knows that there's no point redecorating when you've just had a baby. Mark my words, it'll need redoing faster than you can say "Darling, how many times have I asked you to keep the Sharpies out of Wilfed's reach?"
    The (Mail) article says May didn’t do any renovations - after all the Cameron’s did a big overhaul relatively recently.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,303

I don't think that is correct at all.
    Once this is over, the coals will be raked over with justifiable attention.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,927
    TOPPING said:

There is a pot into which the following should be put: public heritage buildings, obligation to remain faithful to the vernacular, modern day living arrangements and tastes, the necessity or custom for PMs to live at No.10, public and private living areas.

tl/dr? There is a case for the public purse to pay for some upkeep and redecoration of No.10 or it would still be wattle and daub. In conjunction with heritage organisations, perhaps.

I was going to post on the previous thread that it's the landlords responsbility for the fixtures of a rental property.

And the Government was happy to spend £30k doing the work - the fact everything has to be unique is Boris and Carrie's problem no-one elses.

Cyclefree and Cyclefree's daughter is more likely to see my money than Boris's charity is.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

FPT, there is apparently a £30k pa budget.
  • Options

Few live with other peoples style. As an extreme example of this, our lovely neighbours spent a lot of money putting in a kitchen that they liked. They moved to Scotland and the new owners (wife) didn't like the kitchen and had it ripped out and spent zillions putting another one in that was more to her taste...
  • Options

The (Mail) article says May didn’t do any renovations - after all the Cameron’s did a big overhaul relatively recently.
    That would be a decade ago now presumably? Just as the Cameron's themselves did an overhaul a decade after the Blairs?

A decade isn't that unusual an interval for renovations is it? If this reduces the bill to taxpayers I'm all for it.

We spend £30,000 on Downing Street renovations, lets spend it on a teacher instead.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Mr. Thompson, even in inverted commas, we don't have a first lady.

She's the current PM's current lady friend. And if she wants to blow a load of cash beyond an annual £30k allowance that's fine. The taxpayer shouldn't pick up the bill because she's a spendaholic.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,927

It does you only have to read the article to see that £30,000 is justifiable (still way too much for a flat without 30 rooms). the trouble is Carrie has expensive tastes.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

All prime ministers will have "deaths at their door". Decisions have consequences and if you are leading a government you will need to make decisions that will kill people, often on the basis that saving those lives would cost too much money rather than the more dramatic "let's bomb X".
    With the benefit of hindsight we can see a number of things we would now do differently, and in many cases at the time there were a lot of people calling for what now appears to be the better decision, but in most cases there were those calling for the opposite.
    I think it would be essential to have a major enquiry (inquiry?) into the government's response if only to learn what lessons we can, but it it is just designed to find fault then those who might end up being blamed will not be prepared to cooperate and we will not learn nearly as much as we might.

Couldn't agree more. You finished off the second half of what I was going to write!

We need some kind of learning repository for these types of situations - perish the thought another virus/lockdown one, but general crises. If people think they are going to be blamed then we will not get as much useable info as we might have.

Then again it's the classic warlord conundrum - do you grant amnesty and hence encourage people to lay down their arms; or not and not!
  • Options

That would be a decade ago now presumably? Just as the Cameron's themselves did an overhaul a decade after the Blairs?

A decade isn't that unusual an interval for renovations is it? If this reduces the bill to taxpayers I'm all for it.

We spend £30,000 on Downing Street renovations, lets spend it on a teacher instead.
    Could we have one that's vaguely right of centre for a change?
  • Options

She's the current PM's current lady friend. And if she wants to blow a load of cash beyond an annual £30k allowance that's fine. The taxpayer shouldn't pick up the bill because she's a spendaholic.

Is the allowance annual or one off?

Completely agreed that she shouldn't bill it to the taxpayers. If others want to pay for it though I couldn't care less what others do with their money. I won't be donating to this charity but if others want to that's on them. Works for the Americans.

I can't recall seeing CNN or others complaining about scandals about this stateside. If they have I've missed it, otherwise seems much ado about nothing.
  • Options

This project is for the personal aggrandisement of the POTUK and the FLOTUK. It is not a scheme of benefit to the nation. Now a million pounds on Union Flags to be flown behind Boris at press conferences, that would be a different kettle of fish entirely. Something of benefit to the nation at large.
  • Options
    FPT

Nobody made the PM or his wife redecorate. I have this crazy idea that this voluntary act of expenditure should be funded by those that chose to make it. And who also live there.

Only this grasping clown could imagine that his latest trick's vast redecoration bill should be picked up by "charity". Prime Ministers and their Spouses have complained about the Downing Street accommodation since times past - and yet all have resisted claiming that "charity" should pick up the bill as they redecorated "for the nation".

But lets not look at that. Far more fun to look north at he said she said as we get to the heart of the vast SNP conspiracy that culminated in 9 women deliberately perjuring themselves as part of a plot to jail the former leader of the SNP to advance the cause of the SNP or whatever.
    Re your last paragraph it is the SNP involved in their own civil war, and as a matter of interest did you listen to all of Salmond’s testimony and if so not recognise just how serious this is for the SNP and has nothing to do with anything south of the border
    As I have posted repeatedly, there is a lot of heat and light being generated by the central event. Others are fascinated by the heat and light and opportunities for outrage based off it. I am far more interested in the central event which is the source of the heat and light.

According to Salmond, there is a conspiracy against him within the SNP which culminated in 9 women making entirely false and malicious allegations against him to the police and on the witness stand. These women, and the SNP/government bigwigs, were supposedly motivated by the desire to have Salmond carted away to prison and thus out of the way politically.

As I do not for a minute believe this central allegation, I am not really interested in the heat and the light generated from it. You may want it to be serious for the SNP for political reasons, but wanting something doesn't always make it fact. Especially when the second part of your narrative is that as the SNP are crooks you have to vote Tory to get them out. Because the idea that people vote Tory to remove the stench of corruption and cronyism is laughable.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Good point!

Are you some kind of magician, by the way? I see that you have zero posts, notwithstanding the above. Also a total of 20 likes on 0 posts. That's highly impressive, your average per post is... infinite :smile:

I do seem to have adopted a somewhat ghostly presence here.. Side effect of the Pfizer?!
  • Options

This project is for the personal aggrandisement of the POTUK and the FLOTUK. It is not a scheme of benefit to the nation. Now a million pounds on Union Flags to be flown behind Boris at press conferences, that would be a different kettle of fish entirely. Something of benefit to the nation at large.
    The nation is the landlord.

If this reduces the bills to the nation then the nation benefits. Like the National Trust.

Its a pissweak benefit for me, but then I wouldn't donate to the National Trust either. Others do, that's on them.
  • Options
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

I was going to post on the previous thread that it's the landlords responsbility for the fixtures of a rental property.

And the Government was happy to spend £30k doing the work - the fact everything has to be unique is Boris and Carrie's problem no-one elses.

Cyclefree and Cyclefree's daughter is more likely to see my money than Boris's charity is.
    You don't have to contribute. The problem is now neutralised and redecoration will not be the source of Daily Mail and others smears going foreward
  • Options

Is the allowance annual or one off?

Completely agreed that she shouldn't bill it to the taxpayers. If others want to pay for it though I couldn't care less what others do with their money. I won't be donating to this charity but if others want to that's on them. Works for the Americans.

I can't recall seeing CNN or others complaining about scandals about this stateside. If they have I've missed it, otherwise seems much ado about nothing.
    Annual.
  • Options

If this reduces the bills to the nation then the nation benefits. Like the National Trust.

Its a pissweak benefit for me, but then I wouldn't donate to the National Trust either. Others do, that's on them.
    Read Mike's header. There is a potential negative tax implication. Time to do some work.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810

Dura_Ace said:

Or Sarah V?
    Both likely, two cheeks of the same arse.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    TimS said:

Of course, there was an earlier 1990s Wallpaper-gate involving New Labour and Lord Irvine of Lairg.

The BBC of March 4th 1998 reported "Opposition MPs, newspapers and DIY stores have joined forces to attack the Lord Chancellor after he described spending £650,000 of public money on decorating his flat as a "noble cause".

In fact, adjusting for inflation using the BoE calculator, that is £1,169,716.78 in today's coin.

Let's see if PNN can beat Derry Irvine's £1,169,716.78.

As always, Blair's government did it baddest. Even wallpaper.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Ah thanks. Wouldn't that be more appropriate for a mid-terrace house in Harlow?

I mean this is a bit of the why does the PM fly by PJ/first class thing. Because he is the PM. Because it's No.10 - an iconic building, etc...
  • Options

I personally believe that government indecision - ultimately Boris’s - cost tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths.

Yet I do struggle to get angry about it.

Am I morally deficient somehow?
    Its priced in. The government are so woefully inept and so shamelessly corrupt that we expect them to accidentally kill 20k old people by spreading Covid into carehomes by policy whoopsie.

As with the SNP fandango the reality is that not enough people care for it to be a political issue. Hence both parties' respective poll ratings.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,210
    Nigelb said:

This, and Naomi Wolf's recent mad tweet, provide further evidence for my assertion that analogies rarely illuminate, and often do quite the opposite.

https://twitter.com/Garnet_Smuczer/status/1365879949031333894

People who offer them behave like they’re giving you a pair of binoculars, but usually it turns out they have been looking through the wrong end?
  • Options

Read Mike's header. There is a potential negative tax implication. Time to do some work.
    That's a real stretch and applies to all charities

If the Charity Commission approves it, like the US equivalent charity or National Trust, then it is what it is. If they don't then so be it.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

Yup. Government owned flat so the taxpayer should be prepared to fund the minimum necessary (which includes keeping in fitting with the building it is, but cost effectively). If you want more, you pay for it.

You can’t, however, end up beholden to donors for that work. The only way I could see it half working would be if the flat was handed over to something like the National Trust and it was impossible for you to know who paid. But since you couldn’t really allow public access, that’s a none starter.

Basically, you’re living above the shop in central London. There will be mice.
  • Options

Selebian said:

Good point!

I do seem to have adopted a somewhat ghostly presence here.. Side effect of the Pfizer?!
    We ain't seen you...
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,566

Selebian said:

Good point!

I'm glad I had AZ if Pfizer turns you into a ghost.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I know parties have to declare donations but do charities?

Would it be possible to set up a charity but keep the donors to it anonymous? Would that help smooth concerns?

Also could a proposed charity potentially cover all such accomodations, like the Lord Chancellor's £165k wallpaper etc
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810

FPT

Nobody made the PM or his wife redecorate. I have this crazy idea that this voluntary act of expenditure should be funded by those that chose to make it. And who also live there.

Only this grasping clown could imagine that his latest trick's vast redecoration bill should be picked up by "charity". Prime Ministers and their Spouses have complained about the Downing Street accommodation since times past - and yet all have resisted claiming that "charity" should pick up the bill as they redecorated "for the nation".

But lets not look at that. Far more fun to look north at he said she said as we get to the heart of the vast SNP conspiracy that culminated in 9 women deliberately perjuring themselves as part of a plot to jail the former leader of the SNP to advance the cause of the SNP or whatever.
    Re your last paragraph it is the SNP involved in their own civil war, and as a matter of interest did you listen to all of Salmond’s testimony and if so not recognise just how serious this is for the SNP and has nothing to do with anything south of the border
    As I have posted repeatedly, there is a lot of heat and light being generated by the central event. Others are fascinated by the heat and light and opportunities for outrage based off it. I am far more interested in the central event which is the source of the heat and light.

According to Salmond, there is a conspiracy against him within the SNP which culminated in 9 women making entirely false and malicious allegations against him to the police and on the witness stand. These women, and the SNP/government bigwigs, were supposedly motivated by the desire to have Salmond carted away to prison and thus out of the way politically.

As I do not for a minute believe this central allegation, I am not really interested in the heat and the light generated from it. You may want it to be serious for the SNP for political reasons, but wanting something doesn't always make it fact. Especially when the second part of your narrative is that as the SNP are crooks you have to vote Tory to get them out. Because the idea that people vote Tory to remove the stench of corruption and cronyism is laughable.
    All the evidence points to the conspiracy and fact that despite most of it being known about , the government not allowing it to be in the inquiry is the only thing that stops it being stated says it all. Anyone interested will have seen the evidence , know at least some of the names being hidden etc and know it is true. They tried to nobble him , he did not fold and they knew their goose was cooked on judicial review so gathered together a list and handed it direct to crown , despite the original two participants stating they did not want police involved. They hoped the criminal case would overtake the judicial review and save their skins. Then it was a case of ever increasing problems trying to hide, burn , etc all the evidence. They stupidly had not thought that Salmond got every document to help with his defence. So it all comes down to whether they can continue to sue crown etc to hide the evidence from parliament.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,346

Few live with other peoples style. As an extreme example of this, our lovely neighbours spent a lot of money putting in a kitchen that they liked. They moved to Scotland and the new owners (wife) didn't like the kitchen and had it ripped out and spent zillions putting another one in that was more to her taste...
    Which is why most tied/rental/temporary accommodation tends towards the bland and inoffensive.

What we have here appears to be a couple who want to spend a fortune they don't have making a lifestyle statement that someone else may then have to live with.

For Boris, too, is mortal.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Perhaps in the list of reasons the Prime Minister might retire before 2024, this provides more evidence that Boris is cash-strapped.

Last week as I was applauding Boris's performance, other PBers debated whether he looked 80 or just 70 years old. If Boris does hope to make serious money on the American lecture circuit, he must keep a rheumy eye on the calendar.

... The former prime minister earned £136,000 last month [September] for delivering a speech in Seoul on global responses to the coronavirus pandemic. It takes her total for after-dinner talks so far this year to more than £1 million.

The fee means that the MP for Maidenhead appears to have surpassed Boris Johnson for after-dinner earning power.

Before becoming prime minister in July [2019], Mr Johnson was paid £123,000 to fly to India and address a publishing company in the New Delhi quarter of Connaught Place.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/theresa-may-outdoes-boris-johnson-with-1m-from-speech-fees-8cvwnhvxd (£££)

Being paid far too much too give speeches seems like a much bigger issue than some soft furnishings.

What piece of insight about Covid could Theresa possibly offer that is worth £136k to South Korea?
    An astonishing sum, even for a lively & interesting speaker providing genuine insight.

At market rates, a Theresa May speech is surely worth more like £1.36.
  • Options

I'm sure none of them have ever used or laughed at say Nicola Sturgeon being called Janette Krankie.

To be honest I haven't
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,973

Would that help smooth concerns?

No. Only an Ipatiev House moment will suffice at this point.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

FPT

All the evidence points to the conspiracy and fact that despite most of it being known about , the government not allowing it to be in the inquiry is the only thing that stops it being stated says it all. Anyone interested will have seen the evidence , know at least some of the names being hidden etc and know it is true. They tried to nobble him , he did not fold and they knew their goose was cooked on judicial review so gathered together a list and handed it direct to crown , despite the original two participants stating they did not want police involved. They hoped the criminal case would overtake the judicial review and save their skins. Then it was a case of ever increasing problems trying to hide, burn , etc all the evidence. They stupidly had not thought that Salmond got every document to help with his defence. So it all comes down to whether they can continue to sue crown etc to hide the evidence from parliament.
    Just so we are clear. The evidence points to these 9 women lying to the police and perjuring themselves on the stand?

I haven't followed it in that much detail so I have considered the likelihood that 9 people could be persuaded to open themselves up to such deep legal shit if they were caught doing something that not only doesn't benefit them personally but is also of questionable political benefit to the SNP.
  • Options
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

I did think the other Like on this might have been Ms Cyclefree's!
  • Options

To be honest I haven't
    But you have compared politicians to the Stasi, as satire, so you're happy to throw insults about when it suits.

As a wise man once said, grow up.
  • Options

As I pointed out on the previous thread, that kind of argument would have you accepting US campaign finance laws.
    And LBJ is a particularly unfortunate example given his rampant financial corruption.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Ah thanks. Wouldn't that be more appropriate for a mid-terrace house in Harlow?

I mean this is a bit of the why does the PM fly by PJ/first class thing. Because he is the PM. Because it's No.10 - an iconic building, etc...
    £30k pa as a typical cost for decorating a mid terrace house in Harlow? Do you paint your walls with gold?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Would that help smooth concerns?

No. Only an Ipatiev House moment will suffice at this point.
    But I thought it was Boris and Gove who were the revolutionaries.

That would make...Philip and Theresa the Tsar and Tsarina...and lil Amber Rudd the Anastasia.

Or something.
  • Options

Which is why most tied/rental/temporary accommodation tends towards the bland and inoffensive.

What we have here appears to be a couple who want to spend a fortune they don't have making a lifestyle statement that someone else may then have to live with.

For Boris, too, is mortal.
    Eldest Granddaughter and her partner are in the process of buying a 'pre-owned' house .... well he's buying, she's a post grad student ..... and the 'white goods', which are being left, are black. Not Eldest Granddaughter's taste at all. Nor her partners, apparently.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

FPT

Just so we are clear. The evidence points to these 9 women lying to the police and perjuring themselves on the stand?

I haven't followed it in that much detail so I have considered the likelihood that 9 people could be persuaded to open themselves up to such deep legal shit if they were caught doing something that not only doesn't benefit them personally but is also of questionable political benefit to the SNP.
    I would respectively suggest that as you have not followed it in much detail, Malc is a far better judge of this matter and indeed Salmond's own testimony was articulate, persuasive and given under oath

There is a lot more to this but then you admit you have not done the detail
  • Options

Being paid far too much too give speeches seems like a much bigger issue than some soft furnishings.

What piece of insight about Covid could Theresa possibly offer that is worth £136k to South Korea?
    An astonishing sum, even for a lively & interesting speaker providing genuine insight.

They are paying for the meltdown in the Q&A afterwards. “NOTHING HAS CHANGED”.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    WRT May, I'd happily give a speech to the South Koreans for 1% of that figure.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Ah thanks. Wouldn't that be more appropriate for a mid-terrace house in Harlow?...
    Per annum ?
    You have elevated tastes.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,356

TOPPING said:

Excellent post.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Ah thanks. Wouldn't that be more appropriate for a mid-terrace house in Harlow?...
    Per annum ?
    As is so often with our posts - snap.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,880

They are paying for the meltdown in the Q&A afterwards. “NOTHING HAS CHANGED”.
    I suppose it could have been a demonstration of the latest robot technology.
  • Options

To be honest I haven't
    But you have compared politicians to the Stasi, as satire, so you're happy to throw insults about when it suits.

As a wise man once said, grow up.
    He who is without sin first cast the stone
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Per annum ?
    I'm sure there is the odd bit of plastering and so forth to do also. As I said, this is Downing Street ffs.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,420

malcolmg said:

FPT

I would respectively suggest that as you have not followed it in much detail, Malc is a far better judge of this matter and indeed Salmond's own testimony was articulate, persuasive and given under oath

There is a lot more to this but then you admit you have not done the detail
    Rochdale seems to rather missed the point here. So far as the complainants are concerned they have a quite considerable beef with the people who let them down so badly.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Per annum ?
    I'm sure there is the odd bit of plastering and so forth to do also. As I said, this is Downing Street ffs.
    It’s not though. It’s the flat above. The budget for the state rooms and the office space will be enormous.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Excellent post.
    Indeed. The air transport industry is the gold standard in this. When 'summat happens' there is, when the immediate issues have been sorted, an inquiry, which very very rarely assigns 'blame' to any individual or corporation. It's far more likely to be systemic. For example, there was a Korean Airlines crash in which the basic problem was found to be that, in Korean, there are forms of speech to be used by an inferior to a superior, and the use of these failed to alert the captain of the aircraft to the danger.
    As a result, I believe, Korean Airlines aircrew, certainly those in conceivably 'risky' situations, use English.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,241
    edited March 2021
    Ian St John has died at 82

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2021
    Bit small-scale and provincial, isn't it? Boris and Carrie should Think Bigger in this era of Global Britain. Perhaps they could ask Vladimir to send them a virtual tour of his pad, to expand their horizons.
  • Options

Would it be possible to set up a charity but keep the donors to it anonymous? Would that help smooth concerns?

Also could a proposed charity potentially cover all such accomodations, like the Lord Chancellor's £165k wallpaper etc

No, but charities cannot pass legislation, our Prime Minister can.

Anonymous donors in your scenario would be much much worse.

We need as much transparency as possible on who is giving money to improve the PM's house.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243
    kjh said:

Selebian said:

Good point!

I'm glad I had AZ if Pfizer turns you into a ghost.
    I can personally testify that AZ can cause horrific symptoms for 48 hours in the under 40s and have heard this anecdotedly from several others as well. Like the worst flu you've ever had, violent shaking tremors and cold sweats that drench the bed.

Conversely everyone I know older than 60 has had nothing more than a sore arm for a day with either vaccine. If this reaction is typical for younger recipients, then if the government is smart, they'll find a way to give something else to the Clean Living Gen Z crowd. Or not only will take-up of Dose 2 seriously lag Dose 1, they'll put back the general vaccine cause for years.
  • Options

Bit small-scale and provincial, isn't it? Boris and Carrie should Think Bigger in thsi era of Global Britain. Perhaps they could ask Vladimir to send them a virtual tour of his pad, to expand their horizons.

Personally kick out the Queen from Buckingham Palace and move the PM in there.

I mean Brenda's got plenty of residences, she won't miss one.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

This, and Naomi Wolf's recent mad tweet, provide further evidence for my assertion that analogies rarely illuminate, and often do quite the opposite.

https://twitter.com/Garnet_Smuczer/status/1365879949031333894

People who offer them behave like they’re giving you a pair of binoculars, but usually it turns out they have been looking through the wrong end?
    Analogies are a real problem in teaching Physics because it is easy to take the whole thing beyond the point where the analogy works. Thinking of electrical circuits as being like water in a pipe is good for some aspects of teaching current, but electrons in a wire can't leak out (and yes, I do know about short circuits: the point is you can't run out of electrons in the wire), nor can they freeze...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    If Carrie and Boris can find a way to refurbish their flat to make it as comfortable as possible and preserve the interior while minimising cost to taxpayers then well done them
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,370
    edited March 2021

Humblebrag time.

I must be one of the few PBers to have visited both Numbers 10 and 11, they are just way too small for a family to live in (and don't even get me started on the number of mice and rats I saw.)

There's a reason why PMs and Chancellors head off to Chequers and Dorneywood as often as possible.

We really need to move them out of Downing Street and somewhere more appropriate.

Plus why can't the current incumbents spend their own cash, they get a £30K a year allowance and can top that up with their own personal funds as the Camerons and Osbornes did. I understand Sunak is worth a few quid.

I do believe that Blair did look at copying the White House funding raising model but it was flagged up as a massive conflict of interests/ethics issue.

Whilst it is fine to donate to a political party, those donations do not wangle their way to the house the PM lives in.

£30k a year sounds like the generous side of reasonable, assuming it covers services and maintenance as well.

Not that convinced about the "2 small for a family to live in" assertion. No 11 is a four bedroom flat for a family of one couple plus one sproglet. That sounds not ungenerous. Unless I have forgotten about some sproglets.

If there must be a charity, then the remit needs to be such as to exclude the personal flat.
  • Options

No, but charities cannot pass legislation, our Prime Minister can.

Anonymous donors in your scenario would be much much worse.

We need as much transparency as possible on who is giving money to improve the PM's house.
    I actually agree with that in so far as charity donations would not be acceptable, but private ones not involving the taxpayer is a matter for them
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

I don't think he's that stupid.

Anyone going after her will be out the door surely, just like Cummings, and quite right too. Anyone attacking my wife would not be on my good books so I expect the same from Johnson.

Gove is definitely a schemer but you need to pick your battles. Picking a battle with the 'first lady' is suicide so he's an idiot if he's doing that.
    I suspect those going after her have already been shown the door.
  • Options

A remarkable success for British invisible exports, then...
This discussion has been closed.