Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Even if Boris’s No 10 apartment refurbishment is funded by a charity a large slice of it will effect

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Excellent work by Alliance for Unity in promoting tactical voting to beat the SNP

Yeah right, I bet it has every bit as much success as the Lib Dem/Green/Plaid Cymru tactical voting strategy.

People don't do tactical voting. Its BS losers scream about to convince themselves they're not on a losing ticket.

As probably will be all those lost regional list votes.
    Did have a few successes eg St Albans, Richmond Park. It also was a major factor in Labour and LD gains in 1997 and 2001.

Plus it is more relevant at Holyrood where just a few constituency seats lost by the SNP could lose them their majority as the Unionist parties will win most of the list seats, with Alliance for Unity picking up any list seats where the Unionists make constituency gains thanks to tactical voting
    St Albans was one of the seats with both Lib Dem and Green candidates. Daisy still won nevertheless.
    With the Labour vote down 14% and the LD vote up 17%, so it was won by Labour voters tactically voting LD
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

The best tactical thing "Alliance for Unity" could do is to disband never to be heard of again.

In 2016 UKIP got 2% of the List vote and a grand total of 0 seats. Great job. The opinion polls don't put the vanity project Alliance for Unity ahead of where UKIP was. Anyone voting on the List for Alliance for Unity are throwing away their vote making it more likely the SNP or Greens take the seat instead.

It's a vanity trip by Galloway with the usual gang of waifs and strays who can't make it in one of the recognised parties. He adds to the gaiety of nations, I suppose. But what I don't understand is why he, himself, isn't standing for the list in Glasgow which is the one region where he might conceivably get somewhere.
    his last foray ended in embarassment , this will be the same.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567

Whilst we're talking internal decor, it was a relief that there is nothing in the Palace of RP that is so awful as to need swift replacement. However, I note with some amusement that shared comments about the (electric) shower not being much cop now has Mrs RP getting quotes for a new bathroom...

What I am most exercised about is the fekking boiler which appears to have drunk about £250 of oil in just under a month. Fault in the control system means it needs to be manually switched on and off in the external boiler house and with its age it's probably got the same thermal efficiency as a string vest on a Bigg Market drunken night out.

Looking at replacement ideas have stumbled upon biomass. Apparently I can get over £18k of funding to install a biomass boiler! Sounds fab...

Unsolicited advice, but here goes - consider ground source heat pump. Advised my uncle to get it for his new build near Elgin - they love it, house always warm. I'd make sure you have a real fire somewhere (I believe you may have posted that you do) for when the leccy fails...
    However a ground source heat pump is a terrible idea for an older property without good insulation, which I believe @RochdalePioneers's home is.
    But I would argue so is an oil boiler that burns though £250 of oil a month... Yes - probably needs to sort the insulation too!
    The kind of insulation needed for the efficient use of a GSHP would be significant. We're talking lining the inside walls and floors with insulation (assuming they're pure stone) which will reduce the size of the rooms not insignificantly.

And then on top of that you'd also likely need to replace all your radiators whereas a biomass heating system can use the existing radiators.

You're probably talking around 20k at least.
    Personally I think GSHPs are an expensive white elephant except in very rare situations. ASHPs tend to be better for most situations, perhaps with a secondary point heating source for when you occasionally need it.

You would need the house to be perhaps a C on the EPC scale energy-efficiency wise, and your walls, roof and floor to be well insulated.

But the Scottish Gov is planning to make Band C mandatory by a date in the future (2040 or 2045) so if you are paying heavy heating bills do it now. Run the numbers and see if a say 50% saving would pay for it, or DIY.

There's a heat model spreadsheet here:
    https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/439-fabric-and-ventilation-heat-loss-calculator/

Far more disruptive once you have settled in.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The best tactical thing "Alliance for Unity" could do is to disband never to be heard of again.

In 2016 UKIP got 2% of the List vote and a grand total of 0 seats. Great job. The opinion polls don't put the vanity project Alliance for Unity ahead of where UKIP was. Anyone voting on the List for Alliance for Unity are throwing away their vote making it more likely the SNP or Greens take the seat instead.

Wrong.

Not only are they encouraging tactical voting which is pivotal to beat the SNP on the constituency vote, as they are not standing on the constituency vote but only on the list they may also take list seats that might otherwise go to the Greens or Independence for Scotland Party who are also only standing on the list
    Up to your usual pitiful level on Scottish matters, these clowns will be lucky to get 1% never mind 6%.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    HYUFD said:

Wrong.

Not only are they encouraging tactical voting which is pivotal to beat the SNP on the constituency vote, as they are not standing on the constituency vote but only on the list they may also take list seats that might otherwise go to the Greens or Independence for Scotland Party who are also only standing on the list
    Wrong.

They won't meet any threshold required to win on the list vote so all they are doing is taking list votes away from the unionist parties that might actually win seats on the list.

UKIP got 2% of the list vote in 2016 and zero seat. These aren't even registering with the opinion pollsters and aren't going to get any seats at all. Pure distilled wasted votes.
  • Options
    DayTripperDayTripper Posts: 129
    MattW said:

Whilst we're talking internal decor, it was a relief that there is nothing in the Palace of RP that is so awful as to need swift replacement. However, I note with some amusement that shared comments about the (electric) shower not being much cop now has Mrs RP getting quotes for a new bathroom...

What I am most exercised about is the fekking boiler which appears to have drunk about £250 of oil in just under a month. Fault in the control system means it needs to be manually switched on and off in the external boiler house and with its age it's probably got the same thermal efficiency as a string vest on a Bigg Market drunken night out.

Looking at replacement ideas have stumbled upon biomass. Apparently I can get over £18k of funding to install a biomass boiler! Sounds fab...

Unsolicited advice, but here goes - consider ground source heat pump. Advised my uncle to get it for his new build near Elgin - they love it, house always warm. I'd make sure you have a real fire somewhere (I believe you may have posted that you do) for when the leccy fails...
    However a ground source heat pump is a terrible idea for an older property without good insulation, which I believe @RochdalePioneers's home is.
    But I would argue so is an oil boiler that burns though £250 of oil a month... Yes - probably needs to sort the insulation too!
    The kind of insulation needed for the efficient use of a GSHP would be significant. We're talking lining the inside walls and floors with insulation (assuming they're pure stone) which will reduce the size of the rooms not insignificantly.

And then on top of that you'd also likely need to replace all your radiators whereas a biomass heating system can use the existing radiators.

Personally I think GSHPs are an expensive white elephant except in very rare situations. ASHPs tend to be better for most situations, perhaps with a secondary point heating source for when you occasionally need it.

You would need the house to be perhaps a C on the EPC scale energy-efficiency wise, and your walls, roof and floor to be well insulated.

But the Scottish Gov is planning to make Band C mandatory by a date in the future (2040 or 2045) so if you are paying heavy heating bills do it now. Run the numbers and see if a say 50% saving would pay for it, or DIY.

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/439-fabric-and-ventilation-heat-loss-calculator/
    in in in
    I was quite keen on a ground source heat pump when we bought this place (bam conversion, originally built in 1820, especially as we have a .25 acre pond out the back which wold have been a good heat source. But we'd have to rip up all the floors to put in underfloor heating and then add something to heat the water. In the end we went for a biomass boiler but unless we'd had the RHI payments it wouldn't have been economic. The bloody thing cost 26k, plus another 20k to replace the bloody storage heaters with a wet heating system. Good job we're heading a holiday let as well as us. ...
  • Options
    Nothing to see here: Government QC's on finding they have been duped.

• Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207
    MattW said:

Interesting. I have just installed a ground source heat pump. I haven't changed any radiators. Most of the house is fine. Two rooms were about 3 degrees cooler than target, so 18 versus 21, in the recent cold spell. So I need better radiators in these rooms, but otherwise OK. I replaced 2 oil boilers and with the RHI it should pay back nicely over time. Using 100kwh a day in cold spells is a bit unnerving but it's generally half that and from March to Oct solar cells provide most of the power.

Re insulation, put it on the outside. Insulating on the inside can cause condensation problems because the wall gets too cool. On the outside the wall stays warm and no reduction of space. Mine will be fitted in the summer.
This discussion has been closed.