Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could WH2024 be a re-run of Biden v Trump – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Called it.

England are going to lose this match by an innings.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,638
    edited February 2021
    This pitch is ridiculous. It makes the previous one in Chennai look good.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306

First Minister’s Questions at 12.30 today. Should be interesting.
    Sturgeon b Baillie 0?

Baillie has repeatedly shown in recent days that it is absurd that she is not a candidate for the leadership on a permanent basis. She has been really effective and you can't say that about the Scottish Labour leader for a very long time.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    Good start.
  • Options

Called it.

Come on, Indi...er, I mean England! :blush:
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    NOT a good start. Not at all.
  • Options
    What a crap shot by Bairstow. Hat trick.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Are these odds realistic given the situation?

India 1.39
    England 3.5
    Draw 480

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/en/cricket/test-matches/india-v-england-betting-30291416

Does anyone want to bet on the draw at 480/1? Anyone at all?
    I cant remember the last draw, whereas when I started watching in the 90s about 50% of matches were draws. Its getting to the point where laying the draw in test cricket is free money provided the weather is okay.
    A third of England’s test matches last summer were draws.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    tlg86 said:

Roger said:

tlg86 said:

Bernard Ponsonby quite interesting on Salmond/Sturgeon.

https://news.stv.tv/opinion/a-mess-to-embarrass-the-architects-of-devolution

"Another cardinal principle in the separation of power stakes is that politicians should refrain from becoming embroiled in controversy relating to criminal prosecutions, since that is a matter for the Crown Office and the Courts.

"At her Covid briefing today the First Minister, I would suggest, stretched that principle to breaking point. Of Salmond’s acquittal she said this, ‘Alex Salmond is innocent of criminality, that doesn’t mean the behaviour they claimed of didn’t happen. It is important we don’t lose sight of that’.

"A prosecution has occurred and a citizen has been acquitted by a jury of fellow citizens listening to all of the evidence. And yet nearly a year after the acquittal of that citizen, the First Minister believes ‘that doesn’t mean the behaviour they claimed of didn’t happen’. That view, with respect to Nicola Sturgeon, is precisely why we have Juries. This forage into Mr Salmond’s acquittal wasn’t really wise."

I still find it difficult to believe that Nicola - a notoriously cautious politician - can really have implicated herself but how else can you explain what is happening. As Sherlock says: "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

It's surprising* that those comments haven't caused serious trouble.

* Okay, not surprising because a lot of the media probably think that she's right and that there's nothing wrong with questioning someone's innocence.
    No one's questioning his innocence. His own barrister said his behaviour was appalling. The jury simply decided that chasing women around bedrooms whilst dunk was just bad behaviour not something that should land him a long sentence in jail which would have been the result of a guilty verdict. Presumably they thought humiliation was enough.
    https://twitter.com/CallmeRayf/status/1364571216753930245

From 0:48

"The behaviour of the complained of was found by a jury not to constitute criminal conduct and Alex Salmond is innocent of criminality but that doesn't mean that the behaviour that they complained of didn't happen."

Wrong. They made allegations of sexual assault and attempted rape. He was found not guilty and that behaviour did not happen. End of story.
    Yes and fact the supposed victims repeated the events kind of points to it not being anything like it was portrayed.Perhaps his mistake was not giving out positions to people who thought they should get them. As we regularly see politics is a dirty business with backstabbing and greasy pole climbing at anyone's expense the order of the day.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Holy shit.
  • Options
    Lucky escape for Bairstow.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Good start.

What is England's lowest ever score? I vaguely recall a shellacking in the WIndies on another unplayable pitch maybe 20 years ago.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Good start.

What is England's lowest ever score? I vaguely recall a shellacking in the WIndies on another unplayable pitch maybe 20 years ago.
    40 odd, wasn't it. But at 0-2........
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    This is completely crazy.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Andy_JS said:

India 125-8 now. Root 3 wickets for no nuns, according to BBC site, which is a bit slow.

You know it’s live on Channel 4?
    Itll be interesting to see the viewing figures for Channel 4 cricket.
    It was over a million average for the first Test. Which started at 4am.

I imagine this one will be higher, given the better time slot for the UK audience and the pace of wickets.
  • Options
    Channel 4 had England’s last two day test.

Fitting.
  • Options
    If England get a lead of 50 they might have a chance on this wicket.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Good start.

46 all out at Trinidad in 1994? This picture is iconic:

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/b9184e24c1e7ef1f8588083b84759941df8b52d7/0_0_2411_3623/master/2411.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=format&fit=max&dpr=2&s=fc4cc589ea1fb10a9a9446a25d105579
  • Options

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Good start.

40 odd, wasn't it. But at 0-2........
    I think it was 36 but I may be wrong. 36 certainly looks a long way away right now.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited February 2021
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Good start.

45 all out in 1887.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    What the effing heck is going on in India? It didn't sound like the pitch was unplayable yesterday, how are so many wickets falling?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Are these odds realistic given the situation?

India 1.39
    England 3.5
    Draw 480

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/en/cricket/test-matches/india-v-england-betting-30291416

Does anyone want to bet on the draw at 480/1? Anyone at all?
    I might take 12p of it, but only ‘cos I laid £60 at 6.5 yesterday morning. ;)
  • Options

I think Sturgeon will be a diminished figure now assuming she survives the next few weeks. It may not be immediately obvious and I've no idea how voting in May will be affected but she and the SNP as a whole have lost moral authority. It will seep into the consciousness of the electorate, she's on the slide.

She's been on the slide before and recovered.
    She's very resilient. I do wonder whether it may lead to folk becoming queasy at the prospect of an SNP majority though, and reduce turnout. Chance for Scottish Labour under a shiny new leader?
    All this GRA and self ID and the dodgy machinations etc will be lethal for Sturgeon and the halfwits running the show. Only today 120 women sent Sturgeon a letter re the abuse of Cherry and had to ask to keep their names private in case the attack dogs come after them.
  • Options

Called it.

Come on, Indi...er, I mean England! :blush:
    Lord Tebbit is standing down, but he has his eye on you, be careful!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

"Another cardinal principle in the separation of power stakes is that politicians should refrain from becoming embroiled in controversy relating to criminal prosecutions, since that is a matter for the Crown Office and the Courts.

"At her Covid briefing today the First Minister, I would suggest, stretched that principle to breaking point. Of Salmond’s acquittal she said this, ‘Alex Salmond is innocent of criminality, that doesn’t mean the behaviour they claimed of didn’t happen. It is important we don’t lose sight of that’.

"A prosecution has occurred and a citizen has been acquitted by a jury of fellow citizens listening to all of the evidence. And yet nearly a year after the acquittal of that citizen, the First Minister believes ‘that doesn’t mean the behaviour they claimed of didn’t happen’. That view, with respect to Nicola Sturgeon, is precisely why we have Juries. This forage into Mr Salmond’s acquittal wasn’t really wise."

I still find it difficult to believe that Nicola - a notoriously cautious politician - can really have implicated herself but how else can you explain what is happening. As Sherlock says: "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

* Okay, not surprising because a lot of the media probably think that she's right and that there's nothing wrong with questioning someone's innocence.
    I think it is slightly different mindset in Scotland because they also have the concept of 'not proven'.
    which is same as not guilty
    I always thought it meant "We know you did it, you know you did it, but you managed to wriggle your way out of it this time"!
    Not as simple as that , to me it means there is a possibility they could have done it but no evidence to be able to prove it. In olden days Scotland had Proven and Not Proven as verdicts.
    Don't think so Malcolm. But I do agree that the correct application of the not proven verdict is that it is not proven that the accused did it to the requisite standard of proof, that is beyond a reasonably doubt, which is, of course, exactly the same standard that is applied to not guilty.

Nice to see you back btw.
    Cheers David, must be fun in legal circles just now. Wolfe looks like a dead duck now as well, need him out before he bankrupts the country with his malicious cases.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Good start.

45 all out in 1887.
    Did that WIndies match not count then? I seem to recall that it was deemed dangerous (not that any pitch was not dangerous against that bowling attack).
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,263
    Test cricket. Bloody hell.
  • Options
    What's Root's bowling average now? Below his batting average?

I love that if plays for long enough, he might almost qualify as an allrounder on a technicality - he could be 75 wickets or so by retirement.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    kle4 said:

What the effing heck is going on in India? It didn't sound like the pitch was unplayable yesterday, how are so many wickets falling?

The groundsman had to come out with a massive brush in the middle of play yesterday. Not a good sign on the first day.
  • Options
    If it's 3-2 on the runs-wickets front, does that mean England are winning?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

I think it is slightly different mindset in Scotland because they also have the concept of 'not proven'.
    True, but Salmond's reputation has been comprehensively trashed, and Nicola is doubling down on the trashing. Even during what was supposed to be a Covid briefing.

What I find improbable is that his, err, manner of conducting himself came as a surprise to her when briefed in 2018. There's an argument that as his deputy and chief cheerleader for so many years, and as Scotland's most powerful woman during that period, she effectively threw a shield around him which would have dissuaded women from complaining. Once he became a political problem, the shield was withdrawn, and he was thrown to the wolves.

It's not binary. Quite possible to believe they are both wrong uns.

In my opinion she looks a real bad un, he is just your average punter of that era. Things he did are happening all day every day with people, some regret it some don't but certainly not criminal. Most relationships start at work.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

I always thought it meant "We know you did it, you know you did it, but you managed to wriggle your way out of it this time"!
    Not as simple as that , to me it means there is a possibility they could have done it but no evidence to be able to prove it. In olden days Scotland had Proven and Not Proven as verdicts.
    Don't think so Malcolm. But I do agree that the correct application of the not proven verdict is that it is not proven that the accused did it to the requisite standard of proof, that is beyond a reasonably doubt, which is, of course, exactly the same standard that is applied to not guilty.

Cheers David, must be fun in legal circles just now. Wolfe looks like a dead duck now as well, need him out before he bankrupts the country with his malicious cases.
    In fairness the Rangers thing was before his time and the Lord Advocate of the time is now a judge. But the prosecution of Craig Murray is troubling. I really wish the decision in that would come out.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

In Scotland's case, it's the only way to ensure it gets spent.
    LOL, I see their union team is scrapped after two leaders in two weeks, in disarray and having Union Jack and a cabinet committee will make little difference. The game is over we are now squabbling about who will run the country, cheats and robbers or people interested in Scotland. The union is dead.
    Union Jack spending money exclusively in Tory seats will go down well and for sure be money well spent.
    Nice to see Mal's back.

Holyrood has screwed the local authorities in Scotland so good to see UKG circumventing the nest of vipers.
    Yep. Good to see the UK Government realising that the SNP will take every pound of funding it gets and turn it against the UK. They're wising up.
    Wait until the projects start turning up emblazoned with “Funded by the government of the United Kingdom”, and maybe even a 🇬🇧 or two...
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447
    DavidL said:

First Minister’s Questions at 12.30 today. Should be interesting.
    Sturgeon b Baillie 0?

Baillie has repeatedly shown in recent days that it is absurd that she is not a candidate for the leadership on a permanent basis. She has been really effective and you can't say that about the Scottish Labour leader for a very long time.
    Agree with that. I would have thought that she is the ideal person to win back Central Belt w/class voters. Someone they can identify with.

She also has a remarkably high personal vote in her constituency - one of just 3 Labour held in 2016. SLAB just don't get it, do they?. Sarwar will certainly be better than Leonard - but then who wouldn't be?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    edited February 2021
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

LOL, I see their union team is scrapped after two leaders in two weeks, in disarray and having Union Jack and a cabinet committee will make little difference. The game is over we are now squabbling about who will run the country, cheats and robbers or people interested in Scotland. The union is dead.
    Union Jack spending money exclusively in Tory seats will go down well and for sure be money well spent.
    Nice to see Mal's back.

Holyrood has screwed the local authorities in Scotland so good to see UKG circumventing the nest of vipers.
    Yep. Good to see the UK Government realising that the SNP will take every pound of funding it gets and turn it against the UK. They're wising up.
    Wait until the projects start turning up emblazoned with “Funded by the government of the United Kingdom”, and maybe even a 🇬🇧 or two...
    I'm sure that'll make a huge difference to opinion
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Good start.

45 all out in 1887.
    Did that WIndies match not count then? I seem to recall that it was deemed dangerous (not that any pitch was not dangerous against that bowling attack).
    Oh, the Sabina Park fiasco. We were three down on the first morning when the match was abandoned.

There was an argument for years as to whether play from those overs should count towards player stats. I can't remember if they count or not.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948

ydoethur said:

alex_ said:

I see Gavin Williamson's (and the DfE) have been working exceptionally hard over the last few months to justify him being left in post after the fiasco of last year's exams...

aka. done nothing and just thrown their hands up in despair and made it a free for all.

It is absolutely staggering that they haven’t put in place a proper system of external moderation. It was bad enough last year and it is madness this year.

OFQUAL and the DfE both need to be axed.
    If it was up to you how would you externally moderate teacher based assessments?
    Isn't the fundamental problem that there are two competing things qualifications could be for. One is to demonstrate actual levels of knowledge and ability, and the other to show potential for aptitude in a subject.

Normally we go for the former, on the basis that the latter is almost impossible to measure - but because of the variable and patchy levels of schooling, this would be very unfair to some kids.

I don't see that actual conventional exams couldn't be run this year, it's just that the aforementioned patchiness will lead to lots of cries of "unfair".

I think I would run conventional exams as normal, but then moderate the results by a covid disruption score - I.e. Each child gives details for "school days lost / schooldays taught remotely" and this produces a factor by which their actual marks are multiplied prior to grading.

The other obvious tweak would be to set more exam questions than usual, but not require more than the normal number to be answered - that would go a long way to resolving the problem of patchiness.
  • Options
    I wonder if more people are watching this match in Scotland than voted for the SNP at the last election. (There was a controversy on this very subject a few years ago).
  • Options

I think Sturgeon will be a diminished figure now assuming she survives the next few weeks. It may not be immediately obvious and I've no idea how voting in May will be affected but she and the SNP as a whole have lost moral authority. It will seep into the consciousness of the electorate, she's on the slide.

She's very resilient. I do wonder whether it may lead to folk becoming queasy at the prospect of an SNP majority though, and reduce turnout. Chance for Scottish Labour under a shiny new leader?
    I think there will be a reduction in turnout from SNP voters, including activists. That’s what lost her the seats at Westminster in 2017, although that was caused by backtracking on Independence.
    She is not pushing it this time either, a few vague hints to try and get back in and then kick the can down the road for 5 years. She is just hoping to survive till after the election and get Macbeth as her successor before the axe falls. Going to be very interesting between now and May.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

True, but Salmond's reputation has been comprehensively trashed, and Nicola is doubling down on the trashing. Even during what was supposed to be a Covid briefing.

What I find improbable is that his, err, manner of conducting himself came as a surprise to her when briefed in 2018. There's an argument that as his deputy and chief cheerleader for so many years, and as Scotland's most powerful woman during that period, she effectively threw a shield around him which would have dissuaded women from complaining. Once he became a political problem, the shield was withdrawn, and he was thrown to the wolves.

It's not binary. Quite possible to believe they are both wrong uns.

In my opinion she looks a real bad un, he is just your average punter of that era. Things he did are happening all day every day with people, some regret it some don't but certainly not criminal. Most relationships start at work.
    Yeah, fair comment. Something rather 70's about Eck. Can imagine him with a kipper tie and a mullet hairdo back in the day.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

I think there will be a reduction in turnout from SNP voters, including activists. That’s what lost her the seats at Westminster in 2017, although that was caused by backtracking on Independence.
    She is not pushing it this time either, a few vague hints to try and get back in and then kick the can down the road for 5 years. She is just hoping to survive till after the election and get Macbeth as her successor before the axe falls. Going to be very interesting between now and May.
    Macbeth being Robertson?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    I'm actually doing work today so can't watch, fair to say the pitch is somewhat challenging though ?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

There’s 50/1 available on the SNP not being the largest party at Holyrood after the election. What do you reckon, worth a fiver?
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

This is insanity on stilts. GPDR is supposed to protect EU citizens, not risk killing them:

https://twitter.com/jeanmackenzie/status/1364838822379454464

What's the GDPR angle? Not seeing it in the tweet or replies.
    It's in this follow-up tweet (I should have posted this one):

https://twitter.com/JFouriau/status/1364876628904579072
    Ah, thanks. GDPR should not mess with this, but people often get it wrong.

GDPR makes (the legal basis for) getting access to data easier/clearer in some cases - for example with my healthcare records research. Some cases where need for consent was a grey area before (and would be impossible on large scale projects, so they simply would not happen) are now clearly legal without consent. Data access to provide healthcare services is one of the reasons. Possible that someone was overzealous in interpretation and failed to collect these data in the first place, I guess?
    A bit unconvincing isn't it? Even if GDPR does prevent some sort of email acknowledgement, so what? Surely you could safely assume most people received the email anyway.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:
    Let's be honest, these are not 5 day test batting lineups.
    And let's be honest - in normal times England always need a bit of practice - with the expanded squad and journeys home it does feel like fulfilling an obligation rather than a ruthlessly planned path to victory
  • Options

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Nice to see Mal's back.

Loads marked 'funded by the EU' in places like Cornwall. Carole Cadwallader (I know) has a tale of interviewing someone in the Valleys and being asked 'What has the EU ever done for us?' while standing outside a sports centre emblazoned with the words 'funded by the EU'
  • Options
    edited February 2021

The Scottish Greens may be the biggest winners. A way of supporting independence without voting for the SNP.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

There’s 50/1 available on the SNP not being the largest party at Holyrood after the election. What do you reckon, worth a fiver?
    Nope. Not a majority is a possibility but they will definitely be the largest party.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Go for it.

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1364899053075648513?s=20
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    kle4 said:

It's a poor pitch - but more batsmen have been out playing for the spin when the ball hasn't turned than been beaten by the spin.
    Poor technique.

Also the bowlers who've taken most of the wickets - Root and Axar Patel - bowl a bit quicker than the conventional spinners, and I think batters have perhaps failed to adjust to that.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Nice to see Mal's back.

Loads marked 'funded by the EU' in places like Cornwall. Carole Cadwallader (I know) has a tale of interviewing someone in the Valleys and being asked 'What has the EU ever done for us?' while standing outside a sports centre emblazoned with the words 'funded by the EU'
    Yes, the EU are famous for insisting on flags and posters around any project they’re involved with, and AIUI the Scottish government do the same.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Go for it.

Swing from the SNP then even before the new Scottish Labour leader is announced on Saturday
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited February 2021

tlg86 said:

The "not proven" verdict is an absolutely appalling aspect of the Scottish legal system which should have been ditched decades ago. I fear it is kept out of a misplaced sense of Scottish exceptionalism.

It's awful for the defendant as they are left in limbo with a clear stain on their character and no real way to erase it. But it's no good for victims either - it's an easy way out for some juries, disproportionately used in rape cases, and doesn't actually provide a sense of justice. Criminal cases have to provide a sense of closure, and "not proven" doesn't do the job.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Go for it.

Swing from the SNP then even before the new Scottish Labour leader is announced on Saturday
    I'm sure that'll make a huge difference
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    Is the draw worth a nibble?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited February 2021

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Nice to see Mal's back.

And which Valleys architect designed the shopping centre? Which South Walian construction company got the job to build it? Which Valleys company got the publicity portfolio ? What is the name of the company who own the real estate and are collecting the rents?

Where did the money really go? Yes, there will have been some short-term local construction jobs, but almost all the EU money will not have been retained in the Valleys, and probably not even in Wales.

My bet is when we look, we'll see the architects, the construction company and the retail real estate company will all be based in Southern England.

(That is certainly what happened when Blaenau Ffestiniog got an EU makeover-- everything was done in England).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Go for it.

But the new Labour leader is nowhere near the ability of the temporary Labour leader.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    kinabalu said:

Is the draw worth a nibble?

More chance of a speedy French vaccine rollout
  • Options
    Tragically I seem to have lost all my TV signals - this is a far bigger deal than Salmond and co.
    HYUFD said:
    Could it slip backa bit more please? By 15 or 20%, then I can relax.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Even factoring in that she is well regarded, leads the SNP and any rally round the flag effect, I am amazed any politician has a satisfaction rate over 50%
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    Labour MP calls for increased corporation tax

https://twitter.com/BellRibeiroAddy/status/1364900406271295491?s=20
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Even factoring in that she is well regarded, leads the SNP and any rally round the flag effect, I am amazed any politician has a satisfaction rate over 50%
    This poll might have been conducted before the latest controversies.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    HYUFD said:

We should increase it to 20% to make calculation easier

To be honest I'd be happy with 0% corporation tax. I think a wholesale and high-level rethink of all taxes should be considered. "Global Britain" shouldn't be afraid to try new things.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

A great way to further disadvantage UK-based companies, including SMEs, against their offshore conglomerate competition.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Scottish politics at the moment, and indeed for most of the last year, has been Nicola Sturgeon on the TV roughly 3x a week doing her mother of the nation skit (which in fairness she does quite well). The really alarming thing is that this is intended to continue up to the week before the May elections. I seem to recall Putin achieving something similar when those who were brave enough to stand against him were not allowed on the TV but I can't recall anything similar in a western country.

In short, it's democracy Jim, but not as we know it.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    HYUFD said:
    This seems the most interesting. Lots of work to do to convince many about actually holding a ref / how to do it / when etc

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    I follow politics quite closely and am a lawyer. It has taken me a while to get my head around what is going on. Unless the opposition in Scotland can find a way of simplifying the matter to the vast majority of people (in any country) who do not obsessively follow these things then it is unlikely to cut through.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    On topic - and, crucially, at this stage - I don't think Trump will go for it again. Despite the rhetoric, I think he knows that he is likely to motivate the opposition in ways someone else (bar perhaps Ted Cruz) wouldn't and, in many ways, what happened represents a "best" outcome - many of his supporters believe he was robbed (note: many Republicans don't believe the Dominion crap but most do believe the rules were unfairly changed pre-election to significantly ease the rules on mail-in ballots), he can very much influence things behind the scenes and his agenda is one which dominates the GOP. I think Romney is right when he says Trump can win.

The caveat to this is that if it looks like things are going Pete Tong for Biden and the 2022 midterms are an absolute rout for the Democrats. If the GOP wins both Houses, chances are there will be impeachment hearings launched plus an investigation into the election, and Trump may think then that it is worth another shot.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

In fairness the Rangers thing was before his time and the Lord Advocate of the time is now a judge. But the prosecution of Craig Murray is troubling. I really wish the decision in that would come out.
    Mark Hirst one was unbelievable as well and police are still holding all his electronic goods months after case dropped.
    Something far wrong in Crown office.
  • Options
    What was that from Sibley ?
    You can't blame the pitch when top order batsmen play shots like that. This might well be a three day pitch, but not two day, FFS.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Remember these are not the claims of an anonymous blogger.

Harsh on bloggers, harsh on the causes of bloggers.

The point is there will be outstanding issues. If not a judge-led inquiry, the Scottish government needs to find another way of reassuring the public that it is not running the rotten regime Mr Salmond describes.

Not even a judge led inquiry will solve it? Must be serious.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

The "not proven" verdict is an absolutely appalling aspect of the Scottish legal system which should have been ditched decades ago. I fear it is kept out of a misplaced sense of Scottish exceptionalism.

It's awful for the defendant as they are left in limbo with a clear stain on their character and no real way to erase it. But it's no good for victims either - it's an easy way out for some juries, disproportionately used in rape cases, and doesn't actually provide a sense of justice. Criminal cases have to provide a sense of closure, and "not proven" doesn't do the job.
    You could argue it increases the strength of their not guilty verdict compared to ours. Here, "not guilty" means not proved beyond a reasonable doubt. So "not proven". But they have a separate verdict for that. Therefore their "not guilty" carries the implication it IS proven. Proven innocent. Which we don't have.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Agreed. It serves no useful purpose that I can see.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

What was that from Sibley ?
    You can't blame the pitch when top order batsmen play shots like that. This might well be a three day pitch, but not two day, FFS.

Its the indirect effect of the pitch causing shots like that, which is no excuse.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

That would need the Tories to be the largest party - not a chance.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    I follow politics quite closely and am a lawyer. It has taken me a while to get my head around what is going on. Unless the opposition in Scotland can find a way of simplifying the matter to the vast majority of people (in any country) who do not obsessively follow these things then it is unlikely to cut through.
    I dont understand this Scottish political/legal controversy at all. Its too complicated.
  • Options
    1. Welcome back Malcolm!

2. On the cricket, Root and Stokes etc should whack it around, try to get us to 180+. No point just sitting there waiting to get out as we normally do. If we can get 150 ahead we have a chance.
  • Options
    Weak, weak, weak.

No attempt to engage in the substance of the allegations, no reference to the documentary evidence provided, just he said she said.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    HYUFD said:
    Not great for Boris! 26/69. I wonder what first turned the Scottish public off this incompetent amoral dishonest opportunistic lying oaf?
  • Options
    England just need a couple of okay partnerships.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Perhaps Boris could announce a plan for a referendum on Scotland and a referendum on Irish reunion as soon legally possible just to calm everything down a bit.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

You could argue it increases the strength of their not guilty verdict compared to ours. Here, "not guilty" means not proved beyond a reasonable doubt. So "not proven". But they have a separate verdict for that. Therefore their "not guilty" carries the implication it IS proven. Proven innocent. Which we don't have.
    Maybe, although is it reallt fair for people to have to be proven innocent, rather than actually proven guilty?

Is it an issue Scottish lawyers are wanting changed I wonder - I know there are aspects of English law that people have wanted to change for decades.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    I dont understand this Scottish political/legal controversy at all. Its too complicated.
    Same here. However, it generally feels a bit sleazy, that people lied and maybe Salmond was stitched up in some way. It may be that general sort of feeling is good enough for some people to stop them voting SNP and / or for independence.

PS I know very little about Scottish politics....
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    edited February 2021
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Scottish politics at the moment, and indeed for most of the last year, has been Nicola Sturgeon on the TV roughly 3x a week doing her mother of the nation skit (which in fairness she does quite well). The really alarming thing is that this is intended to continue up to the week before the May elections. I seem to recall Putin achieving something similar when those who were brave enough to stand against him were not allowed on the TV but I can't recall anything similar in a western country.

In short, it's democracy Jim, but not as we know it.
    If BJ wants to do his father of the nation skit specifically to Scotland on a daily basis right up to the May elections, I'm fine with it.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    MrEd said:

On topic - and, crucially, at this stage - I don't think Trump will go for it again. Despite the rhetoric, I think he knows that he is likely to motivate the opposition in ways someone else (bar perhaps Ted Cruz) wouldn't and, in many ways, what happened represents a "best" outcome - many of his supporters believe he was robbed (note: many Republicans don't believe the Dominion crap but most do believe the rules were unfairly changed pre-election to significantly ease the rules on mail-in ballots), he can very much influence things behind the scenes and his agenda is one which dominates the GOP. I think Romney is right when he says Trump can win.

The caveat to this is that if it looks like things are going Pete Tong for Biden and the 2022 midterms are an absolute rout for the Democrats. If the GOP wins both Houses, chances are there will be impeachment hearings launched plus an investigation into the election, and Trump may think then that it is worth another shot.

If the GOP stays MAGA but Trump doesn't run, who do you think will get the nomination? Or be in the frame for it anyway.
  • Options
    England cannot lose by an innings, thank goodness. We can collapse again now.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Unless someone can simplify it it isn't going to make a blind bit of difference.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Nice to see Mal's back.

And which Valleys architect designed the shopping centre? Which South Walian construction company got the job to build it? Which Valleys company got the publicity portfolio ? What is the name of the company who own the real estate and are collecting the rents?

Where did the money really go? Yes, there will have been some short-term local construction jobs, but almost all the EU money will not have been retained in the Valleys, and probably not even in Wales.

My bet is when we look, we'll see the architects, the construction company and the retail real estate company will all be based in Southern England.

(That is certainly what happened when Blaenau Ffestiniog got an EU makeover-- everything was done in England).
    Fair points, but if it had been left to London, what would have happened? Apart from SFA? At least the building etc got built.
    Your argument is for greater control for Wales, not against the EU.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The Scottish Greens may be the biggest winners. A way of supporting independence without voting for the SNP.
    You have to be joking
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Punters are more nervous about India than one might expect.

India 1.26
    England 4.8

This discussion has been closed.