Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

First post statement YouGov polling relatively good for ministers – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2021 in General
imageFirst post statement YouGov polling relatively good for ministers – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• First. Unlike Macron's vaccination policy.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    edited February 2021
    Second.

Ain't it cruel. I skip nearly an entire thread, come back 4 hours later.

And this happens.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    I'm not sure Boris's barnet can hold out until April.

It's Macron's re-election policy. Attacking les rosbifs gives him a couple of points for a while.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

FPT:

Strikes me the major news of the day just isn't being highlighted by the media.

The PM has said there will be no zero covid strategy, the disease will be endemic and we will need to live with as we do with flu.

This is a massive development. And very welcome imho. We can finally put out to grass any ideas about keeping lockdown going for months and months in a pointless attempt to get case numbers down towards zero.

Seems to me that this is much more important development than the precise date on which the pub gardens will be open.

Yes, my Trust is making plans for a permanent expansion of infectious disease ICU and respiratory wards. I think that realistic.
  • Fire up the Quattro....just don't think about getting it out of 1st gear for a while.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    edited February 2021
    The way the survey is worded tends to steer only those who think it is too loose to ‘oppose’. I am not convinced that someone who supports reopening but thinks it should be done much sooner would choose to ‘oppose’ the announcement. So it’s not a helpful survey other than identifying the 5-15% who would have us locked down forever. In the subsequent Q there are 16% who think it is too slow.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1363978386876608521

put down the coffee, move it away from the laptop.

It's Macron's re-election policy. Attacking les rosbifs gives him a couple of points for a while.
    And 1000s more French dead....
  • FPT:

The PM has said there will be no zero covid strategy, the disease will be endemic and we will need to live with as we do with flu.

This is a massive development. And very welcome imho. We can finally put out to grass any ideas about keeping lockdown going for months and months in a pointless attempt to get case numbers down towards zero.

Seems to me that this is much more important development than the precise date on which the pub gardens will be open.

https://twitter.com/SophyRidgeSky/status/1363978426504380421?s=20
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    edited February 2021

Good to see Times mentioning the no zero covid strategy move in the sub headline.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2021
    dr_spyn said:

twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1363978386876608521

Cripes that's a terrible picture of Boris...he looks about 80.
    dr_spyn said:

The clown looks about 70 in that photo.
  • FPT:

Even bigger than that for me was Whitty nonchalantly explaining why R going above 1 in the future is not something to worry about.

Not just not having zero covid but not panicking if cases are going up rather than down. That is a humongous development today - and very welcome too.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    dodrade said:

I'm sure he could have had Carrie cut it, but it was probably a decision to keep in step with everyone else (except footballers, obvs).

I thought he seemed much brighter today. Either finally recovering from Covid, or just happy not to have permanent bad news.
    edited February 2021
    IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:

What this...."which photo editor can find the picture that makes Boris look the oldest" day?

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1363975510112555015?s=20
  • Foxy said:

FPT:

Yes, my Trust is making plans for a permanent expansion of infectious disease ICU and respiratory wards. I think that realistic.
    Interesting. Thanks. I was wondering this evening whether some vaccination centres will need to be made semi-permanent seeing as we will need to do millions of adults every autumn/early winter from now on by looks of it.

dr_spyn said:

twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1363978386876608521

Cripes that's a terrible picture of Boris...he looks about 80.
    Never upset The Times Picture Editor.
    That Israeli data that found the chances of being infected near doubles in the eight days after vaccination. Dr Campbell considered but discounted the possibility that the vaccine weakened the immune system, and hence concluded it must be people rushing out to meet others as soon as they’ve been done.

A third possibility however is that the actual process of going for the vaccination, lining up with others and going indoors into a public space for the injection, is inherently risky?
    edited February 2021
    dodrade said:

He's got one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=140&v=1gpZfkNWPd4
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    I also think Boris was smart to not close the door on domestic use of the vaccine passport system. I can see a scenario where unsocially distanced indoor places like clubs or gigs will insist on either having one or arriving early to take a rapid test at your own cost. That gives people the option of not using the vaccine passport should they take exception to it but also makes it easy for those of us who would use it with no issues and don't want to do nasal swabs to go a gig.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Foxy said:

FPT:

Interesting. Thanks. I was wondering this evening whether some vaccination centres will need to be made semi-permanent seeing as we will need to do millions of adults every autumn/early winter from now on by looks of it.
    I would have thought that pharmacists and doctors offices would be sufficient for more routinized vaccination programmes going forwards, when not everyone needs to be vaccinated within as short a period as possible but the burden can be spread over the year, or at worst the flu/cold/corona season.
  • IanB2 said:

That Israeli data that found the chances of being infected near doubles in the eight days after vaccination. Dr Campbell considered but discounted the possibility that the vaccine weakened the immune system, and hence concluded it must be people rushing out to meet others as soon as they’ve been done.

A third possibility however is that the actual process of going for the vaccination, lining up with others and going indoors into a public space for the injection, is inherently risky?

Yes there must be a non-zero chance that vaccine centres themselves are spreaders of the virus, like any other indoor activity.
  • dodrade said:

I'm sure he could have had Carrie cut it, but it was probably a decision to keep in step with everyone else (except footballers, obvs).

I thought he seemed much brighter today. Either finally recovering from Covid, or just happy not to have permanent bad news.
    Boris also seemed fully on top of the material. Saying it for the third time probably helped but there is also the sense he is finally engaging the first class brain the Boris-boosters always assured us was there. There was a brief coughing fit towards the end but otherwise he did indeed seem on top of things. Only two flags though. It will be interesting to watch PMQs on Wednesday.
  • TimT said:

Foxy said:

FPT:

I would have thought that pharmacists and doctors offices would be sufficient for more routinized vaccination programmes going forwards, when not everyone needs to be vaccinated within as short a period as possible but the burden can be spread over the year, or at worst the flu/cold/corona season.
    Depends I would have thought whether it is just the, say, over 60 year olds to be done each winter like flu. if all adults then that is a huge task each autumn.
  • MaxPB said:

FPT:

Yes, the complete rejection of zero COVID and endorsement of that rejection by Whitty and Vallance was definitely a huge positive from my personal perspective. I fully expected Boris to link unlockdown to case numbers or the R value staying below 1, that he hasn't and has made one of the key tests the hospitalisation rate is very reassuring and listening to Whitty explain that 650k people die every year in the country, we can't make an exception for COVID once it is no longer terminal for the NHS was also something that made a lot of sense.
    Zero-covid was dropped but perhaps more significant was binning R as a measure of progress.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,876

IanB2 said:

Yes there must be a non-zero chance that vaccine centres themselves are spreaders of the virus, like any other indoor activity.
    Possible but from what I experienced if the vaccination centre wasn’t ‘Covid secure’ nowhere is. Hand sanitizer 4 (four) times in 2 mins and nothing touched as all doors open or opened for me. Just a touch out, but hey, I wasn’t going to complain...
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    dr_spyn said:

The end of Boris' barnet looks nigh tbf
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

First. Unlike Macron's vaccination policy.

As long as the comparive overall performance is one he can still use as a defence, I feel like he and others who peddled misinformation because of short term political issues will consider it worthwhile. It's less understandable from within Merkel's government.

IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:

What this...."which photo editor can find the picture that makes Boris look the oldest" day?

When did his hair go completely white?
  • Pulpstar said:

dr_spyn said:

Is he going to be like Samson?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

MaxPB said:

FPT:

Yes, the complete rejection of zero COVID and endorsement of that rejection by Whitty and Vallance was definitely a huge positive from my personal perspective. I fully expected Boris to link unlockdown to case numbers or the R value staying below 1, that he hasn't and has made one of the key tests the hospitalisation rate is very reassuring and listening to Whitty explain that 650k people die every year in the country, we can't make an exception for COVID once it is no longer terminal for the NHS was also something that made a lot of sense.
    Zero-covid was dropped but perhaps more significant was binning R as a measure of progress.
    The infection R has been dropped but we can still calculate the R from hospitalisations which looks to be falling again in England after a few days of going up.
    Pulpstar said:

dr_spyn said:

End of an era, I'm not sure I'm ready for it when so much has already changed.
  • IanB2 said:

Perhaps but anecdotal reports from this country and also my Russian moles say it is in-and-out. I've not heard about Israeli logistics though.
  • IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:

Looks like he's auditioning for the role of The Fool in King Lear.
    https://twitter.com/tabascokid/status/1363980600349233162

A range of images of Boris Johnson from the front pages, from the pool.

IanB2 said:

Possible but from what I experienced if the vaccination centre wasn’t ‘Covid secure’ nowhere is. Hand sanitizer 4 (four) times in 2 mins and nothing touched as all doors open or opened for me. Just a touch out, but hey, I wasn’t going to complain...
    But if the main vector is aerosols in indoor spaces, the centre would have been full of them. Even masked, they can go into your eyes.
  • kle4 said:

As long as the comparive overall performance is one he can still use as a defence, I feel like he and others who peddled misinformation because of short term political issues will consider it worthwhile. It's less understandable from within Merkel's government.

IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:

He looks like Doc Brown from Back to the Future in that picture.

Pulpstar said:

dr_spyn said:

Or he might finally grow up.
  • kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:

He looks like Doc Brown from Back to the Future in that picture.
    I bet he wishes he had invented a time machine...
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784
    IanB2 said:

I wouldn't have thought so from the TV pictures. A lot of vaccination being done in sports halls and relatively voluminous spaces, short dwell times in any one place, hefty distancing. Even if your injector is sitting in the same seat all day (and they ought to swap around), you will only be in the zone of his or her miasma for a minute or two.

The volume and lack of dwell reminds me of supermarket shopping, which I tend to feel is at the lower risk end for the use cases we have given to masks.
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

dr_spyn said:

Or he might finally grow up.
    56 year olds don't change.
  • dr_spyn said:

Lordy. Boris looks positively disturbing - the face of someone you'd see triumphantly delving in litter bins.
  • kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:

At a guess, at some point when he was in charge during the worst crisis since the War. :smile:

I think the plan and timetable for exit from lockdown is extremely sensible. Will they be able to resist the temptation of opening pubs 14 days earlier than planned though?
    IE just before polling day.

We will see. For now 10/10 from me.

Now that's just unreasonable - how are people supposed to paint you as an instinctual government opposer now?
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598
    IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:

He looks ten years younger than he did when Francis saw him!
    Last time I looked, the US ranked twenty third in population weighted deaths, but I see it is now ninth (seventh if you take out the micro countries).
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:

Obviously sharing the nation's pain in not having a haircut since December.....
    edited February 2021
    The supply data that we will publish every Tuesday will relate to the stocks we have received by the previous Sunday evening so we’ll report on Tuesday for the Sunday just past.

Helpful for the number crunchers from Sturgeon. Multiplication by 12 should suffice for a UK estimate.
    I've got current supply 4 million ahead of delivered, which is a solid week of 575k/day (Assuming 5% wastage) but better figures may arrive tommorow.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    Pulpstar said:

dr_spyn said:

Bill Pertwee as Wurzel Gummidge ain't wearing so well.
  • kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:

At a guess, at some point when he was in charge during the worst crisis since the War. :smile:
    In terms of civilian deaths, we are long past the second world war's 70,000.
  • I'm not sure the #1 / #0 treatment on what is left of Boris' hair is going to suit him...
  • I think the plan and timetable for exit from lockdown is extremely sensible. Will they be able to resist the temptation of opening pubs 14 days earlier than planned though?

I think the temptation might be to open pub gardens 10 days earlier, for Easter, after all you will be able to meet in private and public outdoor spaces under the same rule of 6/two households rule. Does it matter that you do it in a pub garden rather than your own?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:

Unfortunately there was a little more to WW2 than UK civilian deaths.
  • IanB2 said:

Last time I looked, the US ranked twenty third in population weighted deaths, but I see it is now ninth (seventh if you take out the micro countries).

Most death rankings are probably a nonsense until they're done by excess deaths.

That will completely change things.

I'm not sure the #1 / #0 treatment on what is left of Boris' hair is going to suit him...

His head is just too large, going the Javid route will not work. But I don't think he'll have much of a choice soon.
  • kle4 said:

I'm not sure the #1 / #0 treatment on what is left of Boris' hair is going to suit him...

His head is just too large, going the Javid route will not work. But I don't think he'll have much of a choice soon.
    Hair Transplant?
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784
    Pulpstar said:

The supply data that we will publish every Tuesday will relate to the stocks we have received by the previous Sunday evening so we’ll report on Tuesday for the Sunday just past.

Helpful for the number crunchers from Sturgeon. Multiplication by 12 should suffice for a UK estimate.
    I've got current supply 4 million ahead of delivered, which is a solid week of 575k/day (Assuming 5% wastage) but better figures may arrive tommorow.

I imagine you are going to track actual vs the delivery plan spreadsheet quite obsessively these coming months...
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Interesting that a majority of Tory voters and a plurality of Labour voters think the government has got the pace of reopening about right. Though more Tory voters think the government is going too slow than too fast and more Labour voters think the government is going too fast than too slow

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1363952405633773570?s=20

kle4 said:

Hair Transplant?
    And be called vain?

No, resignation is the only move left to him now.
    Pro_Rata said:

Pulpstar said:

I imagine you are going to track actual vs the delivery plan spreadsheet quite obsessively these coming months...
    A man has to have a hobby.
  • RobD said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:

There was Brylcreem, which seems strangely on-topic for this thread.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    kle4 said:

An amazing range of fashion wigs is available.

I think the plan and timetable for exit from lockdown is extremely sensible. Will they be able to resist the temptation of opening pubs 14 days earlier than planned though?

I think the temptation might be to open pub gardens 10 days earlier, for Easter, after all you will be able to meet in private and public outdoor spaces under the same rule of 6/two households rule. Does it matter that you do it in a pub garden rather than your own?
    I was wondering this. Couldn’t they just allow take away pints, then people can drink them in the beer garden?
  • RobD said:
    And that's just Simon Calder.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    HYUFD said:
    And moved to the head of the queue, right after HM The Queen?
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 595

FPT:

Keeping the borders closed forever isn't a viable strategy even for places like New Zealand. Has Jacinda acknowledged this publicly yet?

• HYUFD said:
    So a full 49% of people don’t understand how monarchy works? Once you’re selecting who you want there’s another word for it.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited February 2021

IanB2 said:

Most death rankings are probably a nonsense until they're done by excess deaths.

150,000 pensioners have mysteriously disappeared in one Chinese city, if you look at the pension payments system. (Careless to put those figures in the public domain). The official death toll in the whole of China remains 4,636 as it was in April last year.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

IanB2 said:

Perhaps but anecdotal reports from this country and also my Russian moles say it is in-and-out. I've not heard about Israeli logistics though.
    In Los Angeles, it's all drive through - you never even get out of your car.
    dr_spyn said:

He reminds me of a 70s comedian in that photo, cant remember which one.
    Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

150,000 pensioners have mysteriously disappeared in one Chinese city, if you look at the pension payments system. The official death toll in the whole of China remains 4,636 as it was in April last year.
    The CCP truly provide a glorious place for all under heaven.
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Very on brand.
  • rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Wouldn't expect anything less from a place where everything from food to banking is also drive thru.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Hair Transplant?
    And be called vain?

Surely not?

Luxurious blond locks may be a statement of success in the Conservative Party, but all may not be lost. I am sure Michael Fabricant can furnish Mr Johnson with all he needs to save the day.
  • RobD said:
    And that's just Simon Calder.
    Oh god, he is going to be on our screens daily now telling us all the best bargains in Turkmenistan this coming summer.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited February 2021

HYUFD said:
    So a full 49% of people don’t understand how monarchy works? Once you’re selecting who you want there’s another word for it.
    Difference is Harry has effectively abdicated his role anyway, much as his great great uncle did in 1936 when he also married an American divorcee and spent the rest of his life in exile abroad.
    Pulpstar said:

The Sturge delivers again. Useful to have this supply line data coming forward each week.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:

Saving the world?

Oops no, that was Gordon Brown
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    What’s your view on this Griddy scandal in Texas?
    Andy_JS said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken Dodd

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article14007877.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200/1_Sir-Ken-Dodd.jpg
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Hair Transplant?
    And be called vain?

Surely not?

Luxurious blond locks may be a statement of success in the Conservative Party, but all may not be lost. I am sure Michael Fabricant can furnish Mr Johnson with all he needs to save the day.
    Maybe he should try a niqab?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:
    A suprising amount of booking activity is still happening in general (I. E. A non zero amount) . I meant to log on to work computers this evening to check to see how much we were noticing the surge but I tidied the kitchen instead.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:

A blond Max Wall, or unfortunately, Jimmy Saville prior to make up spring to mind.

Andy_JS said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken Dodd

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article14007877.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200/1_Sir-Ken-Dodd.jpg
    Ken Dodd's hair is neater.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Alistair said:

RobD said:
    A suprising amount of booking activity is still happening in general (I. E. A non zero amount) . I meant to log on to work computers this evening to check to see how much we were noticing the surge but I tidied the kitchen instead.
    Glad to hear you are still at work. I recall you were quite worried about this situation early last year.
  • Whoever writes the Guardian leaders has clearly gone raving bonkers (or perhaps I should say even more raving bonkers). He or she seems to be arguing that it's a dereliction of duty that Boris isn't planning, single-handedly, to wipe Covid-19 off the face of the earth:

https://twitter.com/ThatTimWalker/status/1363968937151594499

edited February 2021
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    Personally I find Price Charles to be outstanding. After decades of not being a fan.
    edited February 2021

Whoever writes the Guardian leaders has clearly gone raving bonkers (or perhaps I should say even more raving bonkers). He or she seems to be arguing that it's a dereliction of duty that Boris isn't planning, single-handedly, to wipe Covid-19 off the face of the earth:

twitter.com/ThatTimWalker/status/1363968937151594499

Tim Walker has also been driven totally mad.
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    Personally I find Price Charles to be outstanding. After decades of not being a fan.
    He's not everyone's cup of tea. But he knows the job.

I'd still expect him to 'lose' many realms though.
    Charles was very unpopular in the 1990s, mainly because fans of Diana didnt like him much.
  • Whoever writes the Guardian leaders has clearly gone raving bonkers (or perhaps I should say even more raving bonkers). He or she seems to be arguing that it's a dereliction of duty that Boris isn't planning, single-handedly, to wipe Covid-19 off the face of the earth:

That too.

I mean, how can anyone write down those sentences, and hopefully proof-read them, and not see that the proof that the conclusion is utter nonsense is given by the first two sentences?
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited February 2021

Whoever writes the Guardian leaders has clearly gone raving bonkers (or perhaps I should say even more raving bonkers). He or she seems to be arguing that it's a dereliction of duty that Boris isn't planning, single-handedly, to wipe Covid-19 off the face of the earth:

The man is a FBPE hashtag in (vaguely) human form.
This discussion has been closed.