Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Brian Rose, the surprise second favourite for the London Mayoralty, is now out to 32 on Betfair – po

123457»

Comments

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    They'll be opening the website to 60-64s soon and likely doing a sweep through the NIMs database to find unappointmented 65-69 at that point, at which point they'll likely get offered two appointment dates at a mass vax centre anyway.
    It's just as likely to be as near or far as anyone who has gone through the website, just a bit later and your GP may well have gone nowhere near it all.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Hopefully it will get refused there is far too much football
    You are a miserable get.

It won’t make any difference to the number of matches, it will simply mean that all the games will be hosted in the UK rather than just a few of them.
    Or just maybe for most of my life things have revolved around football from things I want being cancelled because its gone into extra time to the first question being asked male to male being which team do you support/
    I have never in my life had the first question I've been asked by man or woman be about which football team I support. It's barely come up even when I've discussed football with people.
    It rather annoys me when others assume that I must share their own obsessions.At the end of the day , it is but a game - and I sometimes find it difficult to hide my contempt for those who take it so seriously. I don't approach other people and expect them to share my obsession with psephology and polling data!
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279

GIN1138 said:

Matt Hancock has ‘stopped talking’ to Tony Blair amid accusations that the former Prime Minister pinched Government anti-Covid ideas to pass them off as his own, it was claimed last night.

The Health Secretary is said to be livid after two key proposals allegedly mentioned in private conversations – an initial priority one-jab vaccine policy and mass testing – later emerged as Mr Blair’s own suggestions.

A well-placed Government source told The Mail on Sunday that Mr Hancock had now broken off contact with the 67-year-old ex-premier – who yesterday posted a picture of himself receiving his Covid jab on Twitter – over the breaches.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9282255/Coronavirus-vaccine-adult-Britain-July-31st-Boris-accelerate-inoculation-drive.html

LOL! Nearly 15 years after he retired and Tone's still running rings around the Tories!!!!! :D
    Nearly 15 years after he retired and Tone's still a sneaky untrustworthy c**t....
    I wish he was still PM, despite mistakes like Iraq.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,629

dixiedean said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/14112774/uk-offering-host-euro-2020/

I can’t find the Times story?

In any case I called this on these very pages a week or so ago. Would be fantastic. Fill the stadiums up with the vaccinated: nurses and other key workers.

Yes I think this is very likely. We have the facilities for it. England Scotland and Wales. This would provide a good Covid secure environment. Let's do it!
    Ooh! A joint UK bid, must admit I assumed it was just England. That’s even better as all three countries in Great Britain have qualified.

A quick Google tells me we need to find 12 stadiums. Let’s have a crack:

Wembley
    Old Trafford
    White Hart Lane 2.0
    Parkhead
    Murrayfield
    Millennium Stadium
    Anfield
    Elland Road
    St James’ Park
    Hampden Park
    Villa Park
    City Ground (awaiting an overdue upgrade but gets the nod because Nottingham is a much better city than Leicester/Derby)

Could also throw in

Eastlands
    Stadium of Light
    Hillsborough
    Goodison...
    You've missed Emirates Arsenal. And the Olympic Stadium. Plus Twickenham. I know that becomes a bit London centric.
    Goodison, despite having held a World Cup semi, is well past it.
    Nu White Hart Lane is a vastly superior stadium to Nu Highbury, so I think Spurs gets the nod. Fair point about Goodison. You could say the same about the City Ground (it’s being redeveloped next year), but Nottingham is capital of the East Midlands and has great nightlife so squeezes in.

Twickenham is a good shout. The Olympic Stadium is rubbish - crap atmosphere and too close to White Hart Lane to be of much use.
    Presumably 'atmosphere' is just what they won't want! In that sense the Olympic stadium might work for social distancing rules.
    Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

You are a miserable get.

It won’t make any difference to the number of matches, it will simply mean that all the games will be hosted in the UK rather than just a few of them.
    Or just maybe for most of my life things have revolved around football from things I want being cancelled because its gone into extra time to the first question being asked male to male being which team do you support/
    I have never in my life had the first question I've been asked by man or woman be about which football team I support. It's barely come up even when I've discussed football with people.
    Well when I used to visit pubs back in the 80 and early 90's it was one of the most common questions when meeting some new person
    Were these pubs in Glasgow or Liverpool?
    what difference does it make? Are you trying to deny football in the uk has a disproportionate effect compared to the number of people who actually care?
    I dislike watching curling just as much but you wont here me rail against curling as it has no actual impact on me
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2021
    From Sky, it is now official government advice if you are over 65 you are to come forward for your jab, regardless of GP etc.
    Roger said:

On the bright side, pretty sure CCP propaganda would be the reverse of woke.

https://twitter.com/nigel_farage/status/1363247305764311054?s=21

LOL!! The man's gone completely batty.
    Why don't you play the ball not the man for a change.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

You are a miserable get.

It rather annoys me when others assume that I must share their own obsessions.At the end of the day , it is but a game - and I sometimes find it difficult to hide my contempt for those who take it so seriously. I don't approach other people and expect them to share my obsession with psephology and polling data!
    Or your obsession with sex before marriage presumably?
    Pulpstar said:

They'll be opening the website to 60-64s soon and likely doing a sweep through the NIMs database to find unappointmented 65-69 at that point, at which point they'll likely get offered two appointment dates at a mass vax centre anyway.
    It's just as likely to be as near or far as anyone who has gone through the website, just a bit later and your GP may well have gone nowhere near it all.

But this is the first week - officially - of offering the jabs to people under 70 who have no serious conditions. I will review the position if I hear nothing by the end of the month.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

kle4 said:

Matt Hancock has ‘stopped talking’ to Tony Blair amid accusations that the former Prime Minister pinched Government anti-Covid ideas to pass them off as his own, it was claimed last night.

The Health Secretary is said to be livid after two key proposals allegedly mentioned in private conversations – an initial priority one-jab vaccine policy and mass testing – later emerged as Mr Blair’s own suggestions.

A well-placed Government source told The Mail on Sunday that Mr Hancock had now broken off contact with the 67-year-old ex-premier – who yesterday posted a picture of himself receiving his Covid jab on Twitter – over the breaches.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9282255/Coronavirus-vaccine-adult-Britain-July-31st-Boris-accelerate-inoculation-drive.html

I don't think we'll ever know the truth of such things, but I must say when Blair was making his various announcements, useful though they were, it did seem improbable to me that no one beavering away in Whitehall had come up with them as policy ideas, though who would know if they had been accepted.
    More interestingly is regardless of if Hancock or Blair came up with them, Blair didn't think to slip them to Starmer. Could have been a proper Captain Foresight moment.
    Proves what we have all known for years. Blair is a Tory!
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited February 2021
    Pagan2 said:

what difference does it make? Are you trying to deny football in the uk has a disproportionate effect compared to the number of people who actually care?
    I dislike watching curling just as much but you wont here me rail against curling as it has no actual impact on me
    In some pubs it might not actually be a question about football.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

You are a miserable get.

I'm pretty casual about football, but I do think that sometimes people who don't like it are somewhat overfocusing on interactions around it and elevating it in their own minds into something that it might not be.

I mean, someone asking 'did you see the game last night?' is not necessarily assuming the other person shares their own obsessions, they might just be engaging in natural human discourse and, as sport is pretty popular, its not an unreasonable opening gambit, whereas asking about last night's gripping by-election (those were the days) result in north east nowheresville is, as interests go, a bit more niche, so it would be a lot more presumptuous to make any assumption of potential shared interest.

Now if such a person persists in trying to engage a person not interested in it, that's another story.

From Sky, it is now official government advice if you are over 65 you are to come forward for your jab, regardless of GP etc.

This isn't the 80+ age group, most 65-69s are going to be online. The Gov't will sweep NIMS to pick up those that don't but they want most to book via the website - just makes life easier for everyone.

dixiedean said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/14112774/uk-offering-host-euro-2020/

I can’t find the Times story?

In any case I called this on these very pages a week or so ago. Would be fantastic. Fill the stadiums up with the vaccinated: nurses and other key workers.

Yes I think this is very likely. We have the facilities for it. England Scotland and Wales. This would provide a good Covid secure environment. Let's do it!
    Ooh! A joint UK bid, must admit I assumed it was just England. That’s even better as all three countries in Great Britain have qualified.

A quick Google tells me we need to find 12 stadiums. Let’s have a crack:

Wembley
    Old Trafford
    White Hart Lane 2.0
    Parkhead
    Murrayfield
    Millennium Stadium
    Anfield
    Elland Road
    St James’ Park
    Hampden Park
    Villa Park
    City Ground (awaiting an overdue upgrade but gets the nod because Nottingham is a much better city than Leicester/Derby)

Could also throw in

Eastlands
    Stadium of Light
    Hillsborough
    Goodison...
    You've missed Emirates Arsenal. And the Olympic Stadium. Plus Twickenham. I know that becomes a bit London centric.
    Goodison, despite having held a World Cup semi, is well past it.
    Nu White Hart Lane is a vastly superior stadium to Nu Highbury, so I think Spurs gets the nod. Fair point about Goodison. You could say the same about the City Ground (it’s being redeveloped next year), but Nottingham is capital of the East Midlands and has great nightlife so squeezes in.

Twickenham is a good shout. The Olympic Stadium is rubbish - crap atmosphere and too close to White Hart Lane to be of much use.
    Presumably 'atmosphere' is just what they won't want! In that sense the Olympic stadium might work for social distancing rules.
    Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

You are a miserable get.

Well when I used to visit pubs back in the 80 and early 90's it was one of the most common questions when meeting some new person
    In some pubs it might not actually be a question about football.

strangely enough I am usually aware enough that I in one of those bars to be able to translate
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

The first question is is it (in particular the headline) true?
    Because there is a world of difference between "Beijing" putting pressure on a school to change its curriculum, and a school changing its curriculum to make more money by having lessons more palatable to mainland Chinese.

And then there are more questions. But I'm busy.
    Andy_JS said:

GIN1138 said:

LOL! Nearly 15 years after he retired and Tone's still running rings around the Tories!!!!! :D
    Nearly 15 years after he retired and Tone's still a sneaky untrustworthy c**t....
    I wish he was still PM, despite mistakes like Iraq.
    I wish he was in gaol serving an extended sentence for his criminal behaviour in 2003. Failing that, he deserved the fate of Bin Laden.
    edited February 2021
    Labour still pushing this...

Labour welcomed the vaccine targets being moved forward, but called on the government to prioritise people based on their job.

"If government aren't going to prioritise by occupation in the next phase, they need to set out why." - Ashworth

Because its already been explained by the experts it is more ineffective use of resources and time....
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

You are a miserable get.

I'm pretty casual about football, but I do think that sometimes people who don't like it are somewhat overfocusing on interactions around it and elevating it in their own minds into something that it might not be.

I mean, someone asking 'did you see the game last night?' is not necessarily assuming the other person shares their own obsessions, they might just be engaging in natural human discourse and, as sport is pretty popular, its not an unreasonable opening gambit, whereas asking about last night's gripping by-election (those were the days) result in north east nowheresville is, as interests go, a bit more niche, so it would be a lot more presumptuous to make any assumption of potential shared interest.

Now if such a person persists in trying to engage a person not interested in it, that's another story.
    As I said its not just the interactions, though it has to be said football fans do seem sort of incredulous if you say you don't watch it. Back in the 80's or 90's though wasnt uncommon that you found something you really would like to watch then find it cancelled because the football was running over time
    edited February 2021
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9281031/WTO-chief-calls-UK-wealthy-nations-send-vaccines-poorer-countries-now.html

Say the UK sent 10 million vaccines right now to African countries.

We'd i) Screw up our own rollout, people would be furious
    ii) We all know the very first jabs won't go to healthcare workers or the very vulnerable first. It'll be the presidents and their mates.

Double dose our own pop first, THEN shipments off to covax.
    edited February 2021
    Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

You are a miserable get.

As I said its not just the interactions, though it has to be said football fans do seem sort of incredulous if you say you don't watch it. Back in the 80's or 90's though wasnt uncommon that you found something you really would like to watch then find it cancelled because the football was running over time
    I cannot abide the hysteria and hype which accompanies the World Cup and European Cup competitions. It always comes as a relief to see the Home Teams exit and the flags disappear. To be fair, it did not get too out of hand back in 2018 - unlike several earlier tournaments such as 1990.
    Pulpstar said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9281031/WTO-chief-calls-UK-wealthy-nations-send-vaccines-poorer-countries-now.html

ii) We all know the very first jabs won't go to healthcare workers or the very vulnerable first. It'll be the presidents and their mates.

Then we dont send just vaccines we send out our troops to administer them based on poorer area's first. The countries government doesnt want them to do it then they have to say so.

Otherwise it projects a positive image of british troops for the future if we need to send them in
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

You are a miserable get.

You are still sore about missing a bit of telly 30 odd years ago. Well.
    justin124 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

You are a miserable get.

I cannot abide the hysteria and hype which accompanies the World Cup and European Cup competitions. It always comes as a relief to see the Home Teams exit and the flags disappear. To be fair, it did not get too out of hand back in 2018 - unlike several earlier tournaments such as 1990.
    flags and hysteria don't bother me, I am happy for sports fans to be excited etc. when it impacts on me though then that is where I draw the line

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

You are a miserable get.

You are still sore about missing a bit of telly 30 odd years ago. Well.
    As I said to Justin down thread or up thread depending where you are reading this. You do your thing no problem...the moment it impacts on me who isn't interested then not fine. I didn't realise that had a time limit on it. This was in my formative years so sorry seeing as people still place this huge importance on football beyond all reason then I continue to carry that grudge
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,836
    Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

If filming adverts are out ...his next job could be in the centre of the Liverpool defence.
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

If filming adverts are out ...his next job could be in the centre of the Liverpool defence.
    I suspect he hired roger for that advert
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    Pulpstar said:

[Cynical hat on]

If we sent 10 million doses to Uganda, then 9.9 million of those doses would end up in Los Angeles, Madrid and Toronto within two weeks.

Those vaccines are worth more to Canadians, Spaniards and Americans than they are to Ugandans. Therefore if we ship them there, they will be resold on the grey market.

[Cynical hat off]
  • rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

[Cynical hat on]

If we sent 10 million doses to Uganda, then 9.9 million of those doses would end up in Los Angeles, Madrid and Toronto within two weeks.

Those vaccines are worth more to Canadians, Spaniards and Americans than they are to Ugandans. Therefore if we ship them there, they will be resold on the grey market.

[Cynical hat off]
    Careful some woke warrior might accuse you of prepetuating negative stereotypes about Africa....
  • BBC News - Israel eases restrictions following vaccine success

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56143126

App based vaccine passport required for some activities.
  • rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

[Cynical hat on]

[Cynical hat off]
    Is this (grey market re-export) what is happening with Russian and Chinese vaccines sent to Africa?
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Labour welcomed the vaccine targets being moved forward, but called on the government to prioritise people based on their job.

"If government aren't going to prioritise by occupation in the next phase, they need to set out why." - Ashworth

Because its already been explained by the experts it is more ineffective use of resources and time....

And of course, if Labour were serious about wanting to do it, they could do it right now in WALES ...

It is a country that no English Labour Party supporter seems to believe actually exists, let alone is under Labour governance.
    edited February 2021

And of course, if Labour were serious about wanting to do it, they could do it right now in WALES ...

It is a country that no English Labour Party supporter seems to believe actually exists, let alone is under Labour governance.
    Funny that...its a bit like when they were criticizing that surge testing wasn't wide enough in England, then ruled out doing any surge testing in Wales.
    edited February 2021
    The official data, which shows a fall of more than 150,000 people receiving the benefits in the first quarter of last year, will fuel fears the death toll from Covid-19 in China was far higher than the government has admitted.

The Hubei government website discloses ‘the number of elderly enjoying the old age allowance’ fell from 1,149,153 in the final quarter of 2019 to 997,332 in the first three months of 2020 – a decline of 151,821.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9282677/IAN-BIRRELL-Row-erupts-cover-Chinas-Covid-death-toll.html
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,046
    edited February 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

[Cynical hat on]

[Cynical hat off]
    That's true, but that wouldn't even really be a bad thing. It's one person one (two dose) vaccine. The quicker the whole process goes somewhere, the slower it goes elsewhere. That's why the idea of sharing it with the poor before we've vaccinated our own population is so stupid.
  • Bloody queue jumpers....

BBC News - Australian PM is vaccinated as rollout begins
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-56143277
    "The Muppet Show appears to be the latest victim of political correctness with new warnings over its historic content.

The adventures of Kermit the Frog, Animal, Miss Piggy and friends now come with an alert about 'offensive content' and can only be seen on an adult account. The move came to light when Disney made five series available last Friday on its streaming service, which costs £5.99 a month."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9282625/The-Muppet-comes-alert-offensive-content-Disney.html
    edited February 2021
    Andy_JS said:

"The Muppet Show appears to be the latest victim of political correctness with new warnings over its historic content.

The adventures of Kermit the Frog, Animal, Miss Piggy and friends now come with an alert about 'offensive content' and can only be seen on an adult account. The move came to light when Disney made five series available last Friday on its streaming service, which costs £5.99 a month."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9282625/The-Muppet-comes-alert-offensive-content-Disney.html

I presume the Kermit and co will first have to do a mandatory online training session that tells them to be less muppety before they will be let loose on the public....
    edited February 2021
    This thread has been shut down like free speech on a university campus.....
This discussion has been closed.