Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Brian Rose, the surprise second favourite for the London Mayoralty, is now out to 32 on Betfair – po

Comments

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    The final straw for me with the BBC was the way Andrew Neil was treated. It boiled my piss when people got upset with Boris Johnson not showing up for his interview. For nearly two decades our leading politicians dodged him.

There was a very simple solution to get them to go on his show - give him the Sunday 9am pimp slot. But oh no, we can't have the woeful Andrew Marr relegated. That just wouldn't be fair.
  • Foxy said:

Do we think all children going back on 8 March is a good idea?

Won't it lead to R central??

Pretty nailed on. By definition the kids and teachers are some of the least vaccinated.

Probably needs to happen though. It is all about balancing health and normal life.
    I think it will happen. It's the last thing being debated by the decision makers. I think everything else in the Plan is finalised now.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,065

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Gaussian said:

How does BBC still not have 4k beyond I think 2-3 "trial" shows. They started their trials 5 years ago! A 4k HDR telly costs £300 these days, it not some niche product.

Because the BBC has completely lost its way.

It really needs privatising to sink or swim because it's just becoming embarrassingly poor now.
    I suspect the reason is iPlayer tech is so crap it can't handle it. Remember for far too long it was built on using Abode Flash.
    Indeed. Because they've not built it as a selling point but rather as a boxing ticking exercise.

If they were wanting to ensure they kept subscribers it would be much better than it is.
    From what I remember, they actually got iPlayer going fairly early on, but at some point along the way the effort stalled, and they never managed to establish it internationally to compete with Netflix & Co.
    They did but they never made it what it should be.

Netflix and co offered a whole library of shows. The Beeb digitised its archive but never connected it to the iPlayer, never offered a library of programs like Netflix did.

People make out like the iPlayer was groundbreaking but it wasn't really, Netflix did it first. And the Beeb never made the most of what the iPlayer could have been instead loving to think how great they were.

That's the Beeb's biggest problem I think. They're arrogant and convinced that they and their "celebrities" are much more beloved than they really are.
    It's a bit more complicated than that: the BBC quite often didn't have rights to stream stuff in the UK that it had bought in. And most BBC content, including (for a long time) thing like Top Gear, was bought from external production companies.

So, it was really only their own generated content that was streamable, except around broadcast windows.
    The John Birt producer-first BBC "reforms" essentially screwed the BBC. First because it encourages copycat programming by small production companies whose instinct is to create their own variant of a hit show, so we get umpteen variants on cooking competitions, or talent shows or whatever. Second, the BBC owns very little of its output.
    Oh God, the bloody "talent" shows, you just reminded me - I take it that at least some of you will be aware that one of their big showpiece offerings for the Winter is a dog grooming contest? I'm not making this up. Having gone through pottery, dress-making, interior design and about 35 different varieties of cookery, someone finally alighted upon the idea of eight hour-long primetime episodes of dog grooming. And, once again, we are paying a tax specifically to fund this rubbish. I mean, honestly...
    It is quite entertaining, but not in the way they intended. The Anti-Woke theme for this poor pup for example...

https://twitter.com/giantpoppywatch/status/1363203441254952960?s=19
    That, admittedly, made me laugh.

It doesn't justify an eight-hour long series, but it made me laugh nonetheless.
    I asked my dog groomer friend what she thought! Not printable.

Surely I need to pitch a celebrity show where the celebrities attempt complex medical procedures on camera, voted on by a Zoom audience...
  • GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

Garden Walker

The North of Tyne CA is an abomination that should never have been allowed to happen. The idea that Gateshead riverside, a few yards from Newcastle Quayside and in the CBD, is a different city is for the birds.

I know it.

And North Somerset needs to stop pissing about and join the “West of England Combined Authority” aka Greater Bristol.

Thankfully the new Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds-Bradford and Sheffield authorities seem to have avoided petty municipal fissiparousness.

I would now like to see a combined authority for Nottingham-Derby; also for Southampton-Portsmouth.
    While I agree I actually think Gateshead and South Tyneside should join “North of Tyne” (name obviously needing review) with Sunderland rejoining County Durham.
    Why?
    It’s effectively part of greater Newcastle.

You need one authority looking after transport, policing, housing and regeneration - like we have down here in London.
    Because it’s not popular and there’s no common identity, not really. “Tyne and Wear” should never have happened.

Sunderland doesn’t want to be “ruled” by Newcastle.
    See also “Salford” versus “Manchester”, but Greater Manchester is evolving into an obvious success.

The problem with Tyne and Wear was the garbage name.
    Salford vs Manchester has one fundamental difference to Newcastle vs Sunderland: football.

Like it or not, and as pathetic as it sounds, football makes a huge difference.

In my experience Sunderland residents who are not big into football aren’t that bothered by the idea of the “Greater Newcastle” concept however those who are are very against it. Like ridiculously so. It drips through the whole local identity.

I hate it, but it’s so.
    If Scotland eventually goes its own way, I wonder how much blame PM Gladstone should get for permitting separate England and Scotland football teams. He couldn't plead ignorance, as his MP son actually played for Scotland in the very first match in 1870.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

Garden Walker

The North of Tyne CA is an abomination that should never have been allowed to happen. The idea that Gateshead riverside, a few yards from Newcastle Quayside and in the CBD, is a different city is for the birds.

I know it.

And North Somerset needs to stop pissing about and join the “West of England Combined Authority” aka Greater Bristol.

Thankfully the new Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds-Bradford and Sheffield authorities seem to have avoided petty municipal fissiparousness.

I would now like to see a combined authority for Nottingham-Derby; also for Southampton-Portsmouth.
    While I agree I actually think Gateshead and South Tyneside should join “North of Tyne” (name obviously needing review) with Sunderland rejoining County Durham.
    Why?
    It’s effectively part of greater Newcastle.

You need one authority looking after transport, policing, housing and regeneration - like we have down here in London.
    We had that. It was Tyne and Wear. Tories abolished it.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,247

IanB2 said:

CNN: Boris Johnson's government is 'gaslighting' Britain about the realities of Brexit

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/20/europe/boris-johnson-brexit-deal-aftermath-gbr-intl/index.html

CNN and NYT seem more interested in Brexit than what is going in the US.
    Now Trump has gone the TV news network's ratings are in freefall. Whatever else he was (eg: mad) Trump was good for the box office
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2021

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

As a relatively new Netflix subscriber I have to say its offering is hardly overwhelming. The Crown, Queens Gambit, we enjoyed The Dig too, but beyond that... it's all a bit meh really. Certainly not enough to fill a schedule.

The BBC has an enormous back-catalogue (quite a few of Netflix's offerings are ex-BBC). I am not sure of the licensing issues in offering that back-catalogue but I hope it is not hampered by 'unfair competition' issues foisted on it by private media interests.

The BBC has been a truly massive cultural influence around the world on behalf of the UK; it would be senseless for us now to allow it to be trashed on ideological grounds.

The problem with the BBC is they seem unable / unwilling to adapt and seem lost about what they should be doing.

We have done the whole bit about how theu haven't adapted to modern tv series structures. But they also seem lost about how to use YouTube. The seem to think uploading the odd clip will do, but their upload get very few views compared to loads of total randoms who do news and current affairs round ups.

Victoria Derbyshire used to make a huge thing about despite hardly anybody watching her show live, some of her clips got lots of retweets...but that doesn't generate any revenue and it is the same niche group of twatterati. As we saw with all the nonsense about how many people viewed a Boris clip it means nothing.

The youth don't watch them as their offerings aren't seen as cool.

And we are seeing it already, all the noises from the BBC are defensive don't toucb the licence fee, no reformz we are better than Netflix.
    I don't disagree with a lot of that. One issue the BCC has is the expectation on them is vastly different to that on Netflix. How many hours of new TV does Netflix produce per week? Sure they have had some good series in recent months but so have the BBC.

The government has repeatedly hampered the BBC for 'competition' reasons when it should instead have been promoting and supporting the BBC as a global influencer.

Very short-sighted.
    The one way the BBC might survive is if it became a rare outpost of anti-Wokery. Instead, it is piling on the bandwagon, spending tens of millions recruiting new BAME staff who are ALREADY over-represented on the screen, compared to the population at large.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53135022

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/06/24/the-bbc-is-already-diverse/

BBC drama suffers from the same left-liberal PC bias, it is unwatchably Woke.

I stopped paying for this bien pensant pap several months ago. Yet, it saddens me as a Brit. The BBC is a great British institution - but so were rum, sodomy and the lash, in the Navy, and they have gone the way of all flesh. So will the Corp, unless it transforms, super quick
    It's the BBC website that's the worst.

Check out the news homepage any day of the week. Pick one at random. And count the Wokey stories - lots of Twitter amplified bollocks about trans, BLM, gender fluidity, history shaming etc etc.

The irony is da kidz (for that is who they are trying to appeal to with this) never go on there.
    I don't think they go a day without a trans article.....even the Guardian manage to have a day off that subject occasionally.
    Really? Where's today's?

Also tell me which news site is better then the BBC or the Guardian?
    Here you go...Front page, with big picture...

BBC News - Disability and dating: 'I didn’t know what bisexual was'

Ray Everall is a 21-year-old trans man from Brighton. He struggles with communication, audio and visual processing and has learning difficulties, including ADHD, dyslexia and dyspraxia. For him the main challenges are around accessing trans health services.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/disability-56111149
    There are 65 stories on that 'front page'; the one you have highlghted is 35th out of 65 and more about disablility than trans. I can't see why it offends you so much.

And your suggestion for a better news site is... ?
    ANY OTHER WEBSITE

Have you not looked at the BBC News Website recently? It is a Woke version of the Daily Express. It is cheap, vulgar, moronic and embarrassing
    Perhaps the website is popular with the youngens? Not everything is aimed at you, you know.
    It's not, tho. My older, teenage British daughter does not use the BBC website at all. She watches the odd reality TV show, the rest is Netflix, Youtube, etc

This is a massive problem for the Beeb. The kids have lost the BBC habit - as discussed on here ad infinitum, so I shall shut up - and go watch something on Netflix.

Later....
    I’m not talking about people watching the Beeb. I’m talking about the website, which is factually and objectively popular.

They wouldn’t write these “woke” articles if people didn’t read them.

Here’s a tip: if you don’t like the articles, don’t read them?
    How do you know? The BBC isn't driven by market forces. Victoria Derbyshire had a show for how many years that nobody watched? BBC Three is still going and nobody ever watched that.

They write arts reviews for niche theatre performances, I highly doubt they get many clicks at all.

Now so.might say that great, but how often the BBC write cover something != now engaged the public are about it.
    It is however the most popular news website in the country and one of the most popular in the world.
    So is the Daily Mail....

Also, as I say they aren't exposed to market forces, so free to write plenty of articles on things people aren't interested in....which was my point, we have no idea how popular trans disabled dating articles are, just because the BBC writes lots of them.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    dixiedean said:

Garden Walker

Even more ludicrous is that Berwick, Allendale, Haltwhistle, Kielder, Rothbury et al are in.
    But the most ludicrous is the name.
    I'm in it despite living South of Tyne.
    It is the old county of Northumberland. I'm a big fan of the historic counties. Why not simply call it that?
    I agree I think... but I think it would be good to have a second local government tier comprising of what is essentially “Greater Newcastle” north of the Tyne so businesses can benefit from the “brand” but whilst retaining the integrity of the historic county of Northumberland.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

As a relatively new Netflix subscriber I have to say its offering is hardly overwhelming. The Crown, Queens Gambit, we enjoyed The Dig too, but beyond that... it's all a bit meh really. Certainly not enough to fill a schedule.

The BBC has an enormous back-catalogue (quite a few of Netflix's offerings are ex-BBC). I am not sure of the licensing issues in offering that back-catalogue but I hope it is not hampered by 'unfair competition' issues foisted on it by private media interests.

The BBC has been a truly massive cultural influence around the world on behalf of the UK; it would be senseless for us now to allow it to be trashed on ideological grounds.

The problem with the BBC is they seem unable / unwilling to adapt and seem lost about what they should be doing.

We have done the whole bit about how theu haven't adapted to modern tv series structures. But they also seem lost about how to use YouTube. The seem to think uploading the odd clip will do, but their upload get very few views compared to loads of total randoms who do news and current affairs round ups.

Victoria Derbyshire used to make a huge thing about despite hardly anybody watching her show live, some of her clips got lots of retweets...but that doesn't generate any revenue and it is the same niche group of twatterati. As we saw with all the nonsense about how many people viewed a Boris clip it means nothing.

And we are seeing it already, all the noises from the BBC are defensive don't toucb the licence fee, no reformz we are better than Netflix.
    I don't disagree with a lot of that. One issue the BCC has is the expectation on them is vastly different to that on Netflix. How many hours of new TV does Netflix produce per week? Sure they have had some good series in recent months but so have the BBC.

The government has repeatedly hampered the BBC for 'competition' reasons when it should instead have been promoting and supporting the BBC as a global influencer.

Very short-sighted.
    The one way the BBC might survive is if it became a rare outpost of anti-Wokery. Instead, it is piling on the bandwagon, spending tens of millions recruiting new BAME staff who are ALREADY over-represented on the screen, compared to the population at large.

I stopped paying for this bien pensant pap several months ago. Yet, it saddens me as a Brit. The BBC is a great British institution - but so were rum, sodomy and the lash, in the Navy, and they have gone the way of all flesh. So will the Corp, unless it transforms, super quick

Check out the news homepage any day of the week. Pick one at random. And count the Wokey stories - lots of Twitter amplified bollocks about trans, BLM, gender fluidity, history shaming etc etc.

The irony is da kidz (for that is who they are trying to appeal to with this) never go on there.
    I don't think they go a day without a trans article.....even the Guardian manage to have a day off that subject occasionally.
    Really? Where's today's?

Ray Everall is a 21-year-old trans man from Brighton. He struggles with communication, audio and visual processing and has learning difficulties, including ADHD, dyslexia and dyspraxia. For him the main challenges are around accessing trans health services.

There are 65 stories on that 'front page'; the one you have highlghted is 35th out of 65 and more about disablility than trans. I can't see why it offends you so much.

ANY OTHER WEBSITE

Have you not looked at the BBC News Website recently? It is a Woke version of the Daily Express. It is cheap, vulgar, moronic and embarrassing
    Perhaps the website is popular with the youngens? Not everything is aimed at you, you know.
    It's not, tho. My older, teenage British daughter does not use the BBC website at all. She watches the odd reality TV show, the rest is Netflix, Youtube, etc

This is a massive problem for the Beeb. The kids have lost the BBC habit - as discussed on here ad infinitum, so I shall shut up - and go watch something on Netflix.

Later....
    I’m not talking about people watching the Beeb. I’m talking about the website, which is factually and objectively popular.

How do you know? The BBC isn't driven by market forces. Victoria Derbyshire had a show for how many years that nobody watched? BBC Three is still going and nobody ever watched that.

They write arts reviews for niche theatre performances, I highly doubt they get many clicks at all.

Now so.might say that great, but how often the BBC write cover something != now engaged the public are about it.
    It is however the most popular news website in the country and one of the most popular in the world.
    By that measure the Daily Mail is the best of the lot given it is the most visited news website in the world.
  • Leon said:

I honestly don't understand why people care about woke stories listed near the bottom of the Beeb's website.

If you don't want to read that article don't click on it.

BECAUSE WE ARE ALL PAYING FOR IT

(or, I was)
    You’ve been paying for Radio 1 for pretty much your whole lifetime and that has always been “woke” compared to the narrative of the older generation.
    Radio 1 has been good as it has 'broken' music which the commercial stations - which play the same thing every two hours - don't. IE it is not Sheeran or Jess Glynne or Little Mix all the time.
  • You know you’re getting old when you get passionately and irrationally angry about things younger people like because you don’t like it.

When you were 20, I bet people your age currently hated what 20 year olds liked.

“Woke” just means “stuff I don’t like”

You're like Drew Barrymore's character in 50 First Dates.

We regularly have debates with you on the problem with Woke. Sometimes, we get somewhere and you start to acknowledge their might be the beginnings of a problem there.

Then, the very next time the discussion comes up (sometimes the very next day) you go back to square one again.

Like you have anterograde amnesia.

I see this a lot with those under 30 in particular, or basically anyone born after 1990.

Their secondary school years were entirely under Blair and Brown, and then the first generation of social media kicked in - just as they hit their late teenage years and college. 2006-2012. Those are formative years when you're between 14-22, and it can set you for life. To tack away from it is hard work.

Your education coincided with the rise of Wokery, and it was richly taught, which is why you have such great difficulty processing factual and logical arguments critiquing it (which, to your credit, you recognise) through the more emotionally visceral frame of reference that has established for your understanding of the world, and become part of your identity, over the last 10 years.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,274
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Very short-sighted.

Really? Where's today's?

ANY OTHER WEBSITE

Later....

IT. IS. FREE

HEAD. DESK
    SO. ARE. MANY. OTHERS.

Sky
    ITV
    Sun
    Express
    The Independent
    Channel 4
    etc. etc. etc.
  • Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Gaussian said:

How does BBC still not have 4k beyond I think 2-3 "trial" shows. They started their trials 5 years ago! A 4k HDR telly costs £300 these days, it not some niche product.

It really needs privatising to sink or swim because it's just becoming embarrassingly poor now.
    I suspect the reason is iPlayer tech is so crap it can't handle it. Remember for far too long it was built on using Abode Flash.
    Indeed. Because they've not built it as a selling point but rather as a boxing ticking exercise.

If they were wanting to ensure they kept subscribers it would be much better than it is.
    From what I remember, they actually got iPlayer going fairly early on, but at some point along the way the effort stalled, and they never managed to establish it internationally to compete with Netflix & Co.

Netflix and co offered a whole library of shows. The Beeb digitised its archive but never connected it to the iPlayer, never offered a library of programs like Netflix did.

People make out like the iPlayer was groundbreaking but it wasn't really, Netflix did it first. And the Beeb never made the most of what the iPlayer could have been instead loving to think how great they were.

That's the Beeb's biggest problem I think. They're arrogant and convinced that they and their "celebrities" are much more beloved than they really are.
    It's a bit more complicated than that: the BBC quite often didn't have rights to stream stuff in the UK that it had bought in. And most BBC content, including (for a long time) thing like Top Gear, was bought from external production companies.

So, it was really only their own generated content that was streamable, except around broadcast windows.
    The John Birt producer-first BBC "reforms" essentially screwed the BBC. First because it encourages copycat programming by small production companies whose instinct is to create their own variant of a hit show, so we get umpteen variants on cooking competitions, or talent shows or whatever. Second, the BBC owns very little of its output.
    Oh God, the bloody "talent" shows, you just reminded me - I take it that at least some of you will be aware that one of their big showpiece offerings for the Winter is a dog grooming contest? I'm not making this up. Having gone through pottery, dress-making, interior design and about 35 different varieties of cookery, someone finally alighted upon the idea of eight hour-long primetime episodes of dog grooming. And, once again, we are paying a tax specifically to fund this rubbish. I mean, honestly...
    It is quite entertaining, but not in the way they intended. The Anti-Woke theme for this poor pup for example...

Just to be clear: that is a different form of Woke, and just as stupid.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

God alone knows. We hear different stories about the schools every day - first that primary school children are now the single biggest source of Covid transmission, and then that there's little evidence from anywhere in Europe that schools are a major driver of infection.

I mean, my instinct would be that it would be more sensible to do it in phases, as is being done in Scotland and Wales and as the teaching unions are demanding, but that's just a guess. Who knows for certain?

All I would add is that it seems to be a considerable gamble. If it does lead to a spike in transmission and the kids end up being shoved back into lockdown again (and, by extension, the whole population has to rot in captivity for even longer,) then the additional socio-economic and psychological damage inflicted upon the population will be enormous. The Government will have spaffed its vaccine advantage up the wall and I would imagine that its popularity would collapse as a result.

If they're going to let all the kids back at once then they'd better have compelling evidence to suggest that it won't precipitate a fresh disaster.

Leon said:

I honestly don't understand why people care about woke stories listed near the bottom of the Beeb's website.

(or, I was)
    You’ve been paying for Radio 1 for pretty much your whole lifetime and that has always been “woke” compared to the narrative of the older generation.
    Radio 1 has been good as it has 'broken' music which the commercial stations - which play the same thing every two hours - don't. IE it is not Sheeran or Jess Glynne or Little Mix all the time.
    In general radio is the best thing about the BBC.
    edited February 2021

You know you’re getting old when you get passionately and irrationally angry about things younger people like because you don’t like it.

When you were 20, I bet people your age currently hated what 20 year olds liked.

We regularly have debates with you on the problem with Woke. Sometimes, we get somewhere and you start to acknowledge their might be the beginnings of a problem there.

Then, the very next time the discussion comes up (sometimes the very next day) you go back to square one again.

I see this a lot with those under 30 in particular, or basically anyone born after 1990.

Their secondary school years were entirely under Blair and Brown, and then the first generation of social media kicked in - just as they hit their late teenage years and college. 2006-2012. Those are formative years when you're between 14-22, and it can set you for life. To tack away from it is hard work.

Your education coincided with the rise of Wokery, and it was richly taught, which is why you have such great difficulty processing factual and logical arguments critiquing it (which, to your credit, you recognise) through the more emotionally visceral frame of reference that has established for your understanding of the world, and become part of your identity, over the last 10 years.
    That’s a very patronising comment.

I differentiate between woke “issues” and the act of simply decrying everything one doesn’t like as “woke”.

So for example, I can acknowledge the problem of people being afraid to voice their views due to the “woke” mob whilst also laughing at people complaining there’s a few articles on the BBC website on topics such as transgenderism.

It isn’t black and white.
    edited February 2021

You know you’re getting old when you get passionately and irrationally angry about things younger people like because you don’t like it.

That's a genuinely fascinating analysis

Also, younger people - like Gallowgate - are just more stupid than us

"IQ rates are dropping in many developed countries and that doesn't bode well for humanity

"An intelligence crisis could undermine our problem-solving capacities and dim the prospects of the global economy."

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/iq-rates-are-dropping-many-developed-countries-doesn-t-bode-ncna1008576
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Very short-sighted.

Really? Where's today's?

ANY OTHER WEBSITE

Later....

By that measure the Daily Mail is the best of the lot given it is the most visited news website in the world.
    Well yeah and the Daily Mail is also full of celeb-gossip dross. Popularity doesn’t prove quality but it does prove popularity.
  • Leon said:

(or, I was)
    I honestly don't know this, but is this still true? Do the kids listen to the modern equivalent of John Peel every night to learn about some cool new act? Or are they again getting it all via TikTok, YouTube, Spotify?
    Leon said:

That's a genuinely fascinating analysis

Also, younger people - like Gallowgate - are just more stupid than us

"IQ rates are dropping in many developed countries and that doesn't bode well for humanity

"An intelligence crisis could undermine our problem-solving capacities and dim the prospects of the global economy."

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/iq-rates-are-dropping-many-developed-countries-doesn-t-bode-ncna1008576
    :D The state of this comment...

Leon said:

(or, I was)
    BBC radio is great. I listen to hardly any other channels apart from 6 Music, 5Live, Radio Leicester, and Radio 4. They are far superior to commercial radio in every way, it isn't just the lack of adverts.

I find very little that I want to watch on Netflix, though clearly people do like second rate American pap, with a sprinkling of watchable stuff. Amazon Prime is better.

• Foxy said:

Pretty nailed on. By definition the kids and teachers are some of the least vaccinated.

Probably needs to happen though. It is all about balancing health and normal life.
    Ironically I have been vaccinated, but I have also been told by the DHCS to shield until the end of March, so even if schools go back I won't.

So. Young people have different views because they have different formative experiences?
    Just like we did.
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Very short-sighted.

Really? Where's today's?

ANY OTHER WEBSITE

Later....

No. It isn't...

https://pressgazette.co.uk/top-50-largest-news-websites-in-the-world-right-wing-outlets-see-biggest-growth/

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Very short-sighted.

Really? Where's today's?

ANY OTHER WEBSITE

Later....

IT. IS. FREE

HEAD. DESK
    SO. ARE. MANY. OTHERS.

Sky
    ITV
    Sun
    Express
    The Independent
    Channel 4
    etc. etc. etc.
    I was unaware that the Sun, Express, ITV, etc, were devoid of advertising. Thanks.

Leon said:

(or, I was)
    I honestly don't know this, but is this still true? Do the kids listen to the modern equivalent of John Peel every night to learn about some cool new act? Or are they again getting it all via TikTok, YouTube, Spotify?
    Fox Jr does like Radio 1, he is 19.

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Very short-sighted.

Really? Where's today's?

ANY OTHER WEBSITE

Later....

Well yeah and the Daily Mail is also full of celeb-gossip dross. Popularity doesn’t prove quality but it does prove popularity.
    Although @MaxPB is wrong, just saying

https://blog.feedspot.com/uk_news_websites/
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited February 2021
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Gaussian said:

That, admittedly, made me laugh.

It doesn't justify an eight-hour long series, but it made me laugh nonetheless.
    I asked my dog groomer friend what she thought! Not printable.

Surely I need to pitch a celebrity show where the celebrities attempt complex medical procedures on camera, voted on by a Zoom audience...
    Slightly less dangerous would be one where they have to teach a Y9 maths class. Not science though: too much scope for something going bang. I know what I'm doing and I've still had 5000V where I wasn't expecting it.
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

(or, I was)
    I like Radio 1 in the evening when the more speciality shows, and the shows focusing on “new music” air. For example, Annie Mac is still brilliant.

That said, most people in my generation, in my experience, listen to Spotify playlists to discover new music, rather than the radio.
  • Do we think all children going back on 8 March is a good idea?

God alone knows. We hear different stories about the schools every day - first that primary school children are now the single biggest source of Covid transmission, and then that there's little evidence from anywhere in Europe that schools are a major driver of infection.

I mean, my instinct would be that it would be more sensible to do it in phases, as is being done in Scotland and Wales and as the teaching unions are demanding, but that's just a guess. Who knows for certain?

All I would add is that it seems to be a considerable gamble. If it does lead to a spike in transmission and the kids end up being shoved back into lockdown again (and, by extension, the whole population has to rot in captivity for even longer,) then the additional socio-economic and psychological damage inflicted upon the population will be enormous. The Government will have spaffed its vaccine advantage up the wall and I would imagine that its popularity would collapse as a result.

If they're going to let all the kids back at once then they'd better have compelling evidence to suggest that it won't precipitate a fresh disaster.
    I heard that infections were rising in sub 30s and when I go for a walk I always take a wide berth round children.

I would prefer the return to be staged but I think Boris will go for the big bang.
    edited February 2021

Foxy said:

Leon said:

(or, I was)
    I like Radio 1 in the evening when the more speciality shows, and the shows focusing on “new music” air. For example, Annie Mac is still brilliant.

That said, most people in my generation, in my experience, listen to Spotify playlists to discover new music, rather than the radio.
    My neighbours kids who are teenagers certainly don't listen to R1. Where as when I was a teenager, everybody did.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Very short-sighted.

Really? Where's today's?

ANY OTHER WEBSITE

Later....

IT. IS. FREE

HEAD. DESK
    SO. ARE. MANY. OTHERS.

Sky
    ITV
    Sun
    Express
    The Independent
    Channel 4
    etc. etc. etc.
    I was unaware that the Sun, Express, ITV, etc, were devoid of advertising. Thanks.
    Haha, your hatred of the BBC is only made funnier by its undeniable popularity. 😂

Foxy said:

Leon said:

(or, I was)

My neighbours kids who are teenagers certainly don't listen to R1.
    I only really started listening to R1 when I got a car. To be honest that’s the only time I’ve ever listened to the radio.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Foxy said:

Leon said:

(or, I was)

Some of us have largely confined our music listening to classical music since our late teens!
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

As for Brian Rose, I've read his half-baked manifesto and it has more than a whiff of ill thought-out authoritarianism. It's hardly populist as @HYUFD claims.

The fact is in all polls Rose is getting nothing and part of me wonders whether his candidacy is an attempt to play the exchanges and the betting market.

He is present on various social media platforms but there's no sign of this getting any traction. The polls have consistently had Khan just below 50%, Bailey just below 30% and both Porritt and Berry around 10% with the fragments including 2% for Peter Gammons.

It's possible Khan will take us on the first ballot but even if Bailey pushed him to a second ballot it looks as though Khan would get 63-64%. The polls have been remarkably consistent since last August.

It’ll be interesting to see if Khan seeks a Westminster seat in the run up to 2024. He must fancy his chances of becoming Labour leader as a two time winner if Starmer falls short. You’d think he’d get a Cabinet job if nothing else, if Labour does take power.
    Khan is a dreadful mayor. Truly lamentable. Where has he been during the pandemic? Where is the inspirational leadership? Basically, that is his JOB- to inspire. He doesn't have much power, but he does have a high political profile: mayor of one of the greatest cities on earth. Remember Boris after the English riots: brandishing his broom to sweep up. Cheesy, but effective.

London is suffering, profoundly, and Khan cowers away: virtually mute and certainly inert. Labour would be insane to elect him as leader, a man even more boring than Starmer.

Besides, the next Labour leader will SURELY be a woman
    He's crap, but he's an astute electoral politician. Hence taking the knee, the statue reviews, the claims of institutional racism against the Government etc.

He knows his base will lap it up. And bear in mind there are a lot of Corbyo-leftist young people and hipsters in London - places like Shoreditch, Hackney and Stoke Newington - for whom the Wokery is the most important thing in casting their vote.
    I live in the capital of all Woke, Hackney.
    Khan is regarded as a do-nothing sell out.

He has no actual fans at all.
    Yes, that is exactly my experience. I have quite a few Hackney-ish Wokey friends, and they all disregard Khan (at best) as an irrelevance, or they properly despise him.

So who is voting for him?!

I accept he is strolling to victory, but it is the strangest kind of walkover, when no one actively supports you. A rum do
    The other rum thing is that there's no serious attempt to beat him. Shaun Bailey is a topup member of the London Assembly. If you compare that with the background and profile of previous candidates (Frank Dobson had been in the Cabinet, Steve Norris and Sadiq Khan had been junior ministers, everyone knew who Boris and Ken were, even Zac Goldsmith had been an MP), it's an awfully small CV for a big job. Otherwise, there's Brian the Strange Bloke, and presumably a Lib Dem and a Green. A card-carrying Faragist maybe? But nobody who looks much like a significant alternative.

Rory-the-ex-Tory might have got somewhere, had the 2020 elections happened, but they didn't and we all know how that ended.

Which is why the distinctly "meh" Mayor will get another term easily.
    edited February 2021

Foxy said:

Leon said:

(or, I was)

My neighbours kids who are teenagers certainly don't listen to R1.
    I only really started listening to R1 when I got a car. To be honest that’s the only time I’ve ever listened to the radio.
    I haven't listened to radio in years....i listen to podcasts in the car.
  • Leon said:

(or, I was)
    I think it's less true than it was. Especially as Sheeran and Jess Glynne are woke. And Clean Bandit are woke central. So maybe Radio 1 is playing them a bit more? 😊
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

(or, I was)
    BBC radio is great. I listen to hardly any other channels apart from 6 Music, 5Live, Radio Leicester, and Radio 4. They are far superior to commercial radio in every way, it isn't just the lack of adverts.

I find very little that I want to watch on Netflix, though clearly people do like second rate American pap, with a sprinkling of watchable stuff. Amazon Prime is better.

I would also recommend Stereo Underground via the Sounds app for great Seventies, Eighties and Nineties indy music, like having John Peel back. The BBC Introducing show has interesting new bands too. All from Radio Solent, I think.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    edited February 2021
    dixiedean said:

So. Young people have different views because they have different formative experiences?
    Just like we did.
    Facebook didn't really take off until I was in my second year at university. I remember resisting joining for a long time because I really didn't like the idea of it. But actually it's good way to keep in touch with people you don't see very often.

But I'm acutely aware that my academic year was one of the last to not have social media at school. We had email and MSN Messenger, but it's not the same. That's not to say that it's automatically a bad thing, but I do feel I have a lot more in common with those who are 10 years older than me than those who are 10 years younger than me.
  • Anyone got a forecast on pubs reopening?

Is it still 2023?

Actually I still think it will be w/c 3 May but Tuesday 4 to avoid the bank holiday.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

IanB2 said:

CNN: Boris Johnson's government is 'gaslighting' Britain about the realities of Brexit

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/20/europe/boris-johnson-brexit-deal-aftermath-gbr-intl/index.html

Bloody BBC again!

Oh...
    Isn't this normal output from CNN re: Britain?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958

Andy_JS said:

A third of the adult population have been vaccinated in 10 weeks. Very impressive. A stunning success for the NHS.

Even more impressive when they do the remaining two thirds in ten weeks. Whilst doing second jabs.
    To do that over the next ten weeks would require a mean of something a little in excess of 500,000 first doses per day to be administered over that period, plus any necessary seconds on top of that.

There have been numerous warnings about reductions in supply, and the first dose seven-day average is now back below 400,000 and falling.

It's not going to happen.
    We'll smash it. I'm assuming we get much bigger numbers of supply in April.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,629

Very short-sighted.
    Oh do fuck off what the bbc shows is mainly repeats of things made years ago
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Very short-sighted.

Really? Where's today's?

ANY OTHER WEBSITE

Later....

IT. IS. FREE

HEAD. DESK
    SO. ARE. MANY. OTHERS.

Sky
    ITV
    Sun
    Express
    The Independent
    Channel 4
    etc. etc. etc.
    AdBlock+ for the win.
    I was reading through the latest virus news in The Graun, and was going to repeat some gloomy prognostications from Ireland (no pubs before mid-Summer, according to the Taoiseach) when I also saw this:

Israel has reported a 95.8% drop in Covid-19 infection among those who have received two doses of Pfizer’s vaccine, its health ministry announced on Saturday.

The analysis examined results from people who had had the second dose at least two weeks previously, meaning some 1.7 million were eligible to be included.

The vaccine was also 98% effective in preventing infections that caused fever or breathing problems and 98.9% effective in preventing hospitalisations and death, Reuters reported the ministry as saying.

If that report is accurate, and if AZ is anything like that good, then it may actually be possible for us to jump through whatever additional hoops SAGE decides to create in terms of cases, and the country may not have to spend an eternity in lockdown after all. Best news all day. Now, we just need to solve the vaccine supply crunch that appears to be on the way...
    edited February 2021

Anyone got a forecast on pubs reopening?

Is it still 2023?

Actually I still think it will be w/c 3 May but Tuesday 4 to avoid the bank holiday.

Probably not what you (or any of us) want to hear but

Hospitality in Ireland to remain shut until mid-summer, Martin says

Foxy said:

Leon said:

(or, I was)

I like Spotify, and have set up a number of different playlists themed by genre. From Space Rock,to Eighties Girl singers, to retro Heavy Metal, TikTok favourites, Seventies Americana etc.

The problem is that the Spotify software provides an unlistenable daily mix, with Bananarama next to Molchat Doma, next to Glen Campbell...

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    Rollout news from Germany:

"The rejection of AstraZeneca's vaccine is becoming increasingly clear. In Berlin-Tegel (which only offers AZ), almost all appointment slots are still available next week."
    https://twitter.com/drumheadberlin/status/1363242629446721536
  • Anyone got a forecast on pubs reopening?

Is it still 2023?

Actually Ireland were really cautious with pub reopening last time. And Ireland is further behind on vaccinations than UK. But certainly something for NI to note. Arlene doesn't strike me as a pub fan in any case. Bit like Sturgeon.

I was reading through the latest virus news in The Graun, and was going to repeat some gloomy prognostications from Ireland (no pubs before mid-Summer, according to the Taoiseach) when I also saw this:

Israel has reported a 95.8% drop in Covid-19 infection among those who have received two doses of Pfizer’s vaccine, its health ministry announced on Saturday.

The analysis examined results from people who had had the second dose at least two weeks previously, meaning some 1.7 million were eligible to be included.

The vaccine was also 98% effective in preventing infections that caused fever or breathing problems and 98.9% effective in preventing hospitalisations and death, Reuters reported the ministry as saying.

If that report is accurate, and if AZ is anything like that good, then it may actually be possible for us to jump through whatever additional hoops SAGE decides to create in terms of cases, and the country may not have to spend an eternity in lockdown after all. Best news all day. Now, we just need to solve the vaccine supply crunch that appears to be on the way...

The other good news is that Pfizer is fine in a regular freezer for 2 weeks until used.

https://twitter.com/megtirrell/status/1362749063591038976?s=19
    Pagan2 said:

Very short-sighted.
    Maybe but I'd still like to see the hours of new material the main players produce each month.
  • Leon said:

(or, I was)
    So what if you're paying for it?

Just because you're paying for it doesn't mean you have to enjoy 100% of all it's output.

There's output on Netflix I dislike. I don't click on it. That's the advantage of online browsing instead of linear broadcasting.

The BBC News website is the best example of what the Beeb should be. I criticise BBC TV but the news website isn't bad. It's not great but it's not bad.
    edited February 2021
    Its the Express so....although I do recall they actually go an exclusive on vaccine efficacy once that was actually no Diana is still alive type nonsense.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1363244603839815680?s=19
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    I am thankfully not paying for it

Is it still 2023?

Actually Ireland were really cautious with pub reopening last time. And Ireland is further behind on vaccinations than UK. But certainly something for NI to note. Arlene doesn't strike me as a pub fan in any case. Bit like Sturgeon.
    Possibly. I am hoping the pubs will be open by May but I have no insight into that whatsoever.
    Pagan2 said:

Neither am I
  • Pagan2 said:

Very short-sighted.
    Maybe but I'd still like to see the hours of new material the main players produce each month.
    I'd be curious about that too.

Bought in from overseas etc should be included too.
  • Pagan2 said:

Neither am I
    You don't watch live football?

I pay the licence fee in order to watch sport on other channels. Pathetic situation.
  • Nervous flyers look away:

https://twitter.com/breakingavnews/status/1363244681413484544?s=20

The plane safely returned to the airport.

Is it still 2023?

To be absolutely fair, the UK's vaccination rate was last reported as 25.7 per 100 people. Ireland's was 6.0, and climbing on a much shallower trajectory. It would not be a complete surprise if they were much slower out of lockdown than us.

OTOH there's plenty of time and opportunity still available for the Government or circumstances (i.e. some awful new mutant Covid) to stuff everything up. Or the UK Government could simply decide that it doesn't much fancy unlocking our cages, or at least not at anything more than a truly glacial pace. So, we shall just have to wait and see.
  • At this rate, I might end up getting a jab before I manage to get an Nvidia 3080Ti....

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Very short-sighted.

Really? Where's today's?

ANY OTHER WEBSITE

Later....

IT. IS. FREE

HEAD. DESK
    SO. ARE. MANY. OTHERS.

Sky
    ITV
    Sun
    Express
    The Independent
    Channel 4
    etc. etc. etc.
    Haha, your hatred of the BBC is only made funnier by its undeniable popularity. 😂
    You are completely wrong. I am a patriotic Brit and I used to be proud of the BBC as a world-renowned emblem of British principles: free speech, fair play, just the facts, please. It is also - or it was - a positive voice for the Union (and I am clearly a passionate Unionist)

It pains me greatly to see this institution in steep decline, diseased by transient Wokeism, and with no clear model for its future, in the face of the US streaming giants.

I would be delighted if it adapted, survived and thrived, and once again became an institution nearly all Brits could take pride in. Sadly, that doesn’t seem likely (tho i will still mention the Beeb in my daily prayers). In which case it should be privatized, and let it sink or swim in the real world.

Just keep Masterchef, Springwatch and Call The Midwife. Ta

Pagan2 said:

Very short-sighted.
    Well name the new stuff the bbc has produced thats exclusive to the bbc and they havent just bought of a company whereas for example as I use amazon I have had over the last few years...the expanse 5 series another to go...vikings 6 series...black sails 3 series....preacher.....now on series 4.....amercian gods now on series 3....good omens....greenland...man in the high castle...I could name more but will stop there.

What have the bbc done? Downton abbey? More eastenders? The great british bakeoff?
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

(or, I was)

I like Spotify, and have set up a number of different playlists themed by genre. From Space Rock,to Eighties Girl singers, to retro Heavy Metal, TikTok favourites, Seventies Americana etc.

The problem is that the Spotify software provides an unlistenable daily mix, with Bananarama next to Molchat Doma, next to Glen Campbell...

Sorry, novice question: Is there a way of sharing Spotify playlists? I am not sure I could be asked to create them - plus, I'd only choose music I knew, which would be somewhat limiting.

Pagan2 said:

Neither am I
    You don't watch live football?

I pay the licence fee in order to watch sport on other channels. Pathetic situation.
    Nah. I’m only ever interested in watching Newcastle matches and they’re not worth watching at the moment.

I did watch live F1 before I cancelled my TV license so I will have to decide whether or not it’s worth paying again once the season restarts...
  • GIN1138 said:
    In fairness to Malc he was convinced the Salmond affair was a stitch up from the get go.....

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

(or, I was)

Sorry, novice question: Is there a way of sharing Spotify playlists? I am not sure I could be asked to create them - plus, I'd only choose music I knew, which would be somewhat limiting.
    You can share spotify playlists with friends. try some steam powered giraffe or abney park
    edited February 2021

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

(or, I was)

In the app, go to your platlist, click the "..." button and there is a pop up menu appears, at the bottom is Share and it gives you a load of options.
  • A blow-by-blow account of Wallis Simpson looks like a good read for a Sunday morning.
    edited February 2021
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Very short-sighted.
    Well name the new stuff the bbc has produced thats exclusive to the bbc and they havent just bought of a company whereas for example as I use amazon I have had over the last few years...the expanse 5 series another to go...vikings 6 series...black sails 3 series....preacher.....now on series 4.....amercian gods now on series 3....good omens....greenland...man in the high castle...I could name more but will stop there.

What have the bbc done? Downton abbey? More eastenders? The great british bakeoff?
    The new Adam Curtis is very thought provoking. Perhaps needed tighter editing, but fascinating.

Kermodes Secrets of Cinema too.
    edited February 2021
    GIN1138 said:
    Definitely in the Salmond camp AFAIK.

FWIW, whilst there's a certain amount of speculation that the SNP might find independence harder to secure without Sturgeon's leadership, I doubt very much that her absence would prevent them romping to victory in May. The pro-indy vote might not be quite big enough to guarantee a win in a referendum, but it's certainly big enough to crush the divided and unpopular unionist parties.

Frankly, I think any one of us could assume the leadership of the SNP and win that election with only minimal preparation. It must be the easiest job in politics.

EDIT: winning the election, that is - trying to unite them on the approach to independence afterwards, on the other hand, might be beyond anyone's skills!
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Very short-sighted.

Lol. Downton was ITV; Bake-off, although made popular on the BBC, was poached by C4.

To answer your question with a few suggestions:

Killing Eve
    Fleabag
    Normal People
    The Serpent
    Peaky Blinders
    His Dark Materials
    Dr Foster
    The Fall
    A Suitable Boy
    Cormoran Strike
    Line of Duty

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Very short-sighted.

The new Adam Curtis is very thought provoking. Perhaps needed tighter editing, but fascinating.

Kermodes Secrets of Cinema too.
    Shrugs stuff that interests you no doubt, my point was a lot of bbc output though doesnt. When bbc output interests me I buy it on prime. I think over the last 5 years I have spent maybe 60£ on it. Which was the red dwarf series 1 to 6....apart from that they havent done a thing I want to pay for. In the same time I would have had to pay 750£ on licences....and not red dwarf series I bought were made well before I quit the license
    The proof will be in the pudding when or if we reopen our society before them.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

The proof will be in the pudding when or if we reopen our society before them.
    Well, their statements are simply wrong. Opening earlier or later has no bearing on that.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

(or, I was)

Yes, they are shareable. When formulating them, similar songs are suggested by the software, though not all are a good fit.

Other people's shareable playlists get suggested too, and I have found a few listens that way. For example:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4vRdM2JkK4JlOy8fxCpktC?si=pII9xfBtS766UeINl3jBxQ&utm_source=copy-link
    The importation of seed potatoes... Now, where have we heard about seed potatoes before...?

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Very short-sighted.

Lol. Downton was ITV; Bake-off, although made popular on the BBC, was poached by C4.

Killing Eve
    Fleabag
    Normal People
    The Serpent
    Peaky Blinders
    His Dark Materials
    Dr Foster
    The Fall
    A Suitable Boy
    Cormoran Strike
    Line of Duty

None of which interest me in the slightest which is why I haven't bothered to purchase them
    edited February 2021

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Very short-sighted.

Killing Eve
    Fleabag
    Normal People
    The Serpent
    Peaky Blinders
    His Dark Materials
    Dr Foster
    The Fall
    A Suitable Boy
    Cormoran Strike
    Line of Duty

Your list is a classic example of how the BBC hasn't adjusted to the modern landscape.

Killing Eve - 3 seasons of 8 episodes (over 3 years)
    Fleabag - 2 seasons of 6 episodes (over 4 years)
    Normal People - 12 episodes
    Peaky Blinders - 30 episodes over 5 seasons (over 7 years)
    His Dark Materials - 15 episodes over 2 seasons
    Dr Foster - 10 episodes over 2 seasons (over 3 years)
    Line of Duty - 29 episodes over 5 seasons (over 8 years).

Example of a Netflix big show

House of Cards - 73 episodes over 6 seasons (over 6 years).

A real BBC "classic" example...Sherlock....13 episodes over 8 years. They literally produced what a "normal" show would now expect minimum for a single season over the course of 8, yes 8, years.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,722
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Very short-sighted.

Downton Abbey is ITV!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Leon said:

"The rejection of AstraZeneca's vaccine is becoming increasingly clear. In Berlin-Tegel (which only offers AZ), almost all appointment slots are still available next week."

What have those idiots done? Any jab is better than no jab. AZ is a pretty darn good jab (against all variants except the SA bug, and even there it probably protects against a severe outcome). You can always get Pfizer, later

Those twats on Handelsblatt, along with Macron, have successfully evangelized anti-vaxxery against the cheapest, easiest-to-use vaccine available in the EU right now. The scale of their fuck-up is monumental. AND they tried to impose a border in Ireland to prevent export of this same vaccine?

Indescribable
    Pfizer showed reduced efficacy against the Saffer variant too. The one which might have least reduced efficacy vs Saffer could be sinopharm as it's based off dead virus rather than just blueprint for the spike protein.
  • Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Very short-sighted.

Killing Eve
    Fleabag
    Normal People
    The Serpent
    Peaky Blinders
    His Dark Materials
    Dr Foster
    The Fall
    A Suitable Boy
    Cormoran Strike
    Line of Duty

And how many hours of viewing per annum is on that list?

Most of those would be no more than six hours in a year on average, if that. Probably much less since they tend to go years between seasons.
  • Telegraph front page - I am on mobile so can't link it - reporting that vaccination target for groups 1 to 9 is being accelerated to 15 April. This will be referenced in the Plan.

All children back 8 March confirmed.
    edited February 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Very short-sighted.

Really? Where's today's?

ANY OTHER WEBSITE

Later....

IT. IS. FREE

HEAD. DESK
    SO. ARE. MANY. OTHERS.

Sky
    ITV
    Sun
    Express
    The Independent
    Channel 4
    etc. etc. etc.
    You are completely wrong. I am a patriotic Brit and I used to be proud of the BBC as a world-renowned emblem of British principles: free speech, fair play, just the facts, please. It is also - or it was - a positive voice for the Union (and I am clearly a passionate Unionist)

It pains me greatly to see this institution in steep decline, diseased by transient Wokeism, and with no clear model for its future, in the face of the US streaming giants.

I would be delighted if it adapted, survived and thrived, and once again became an institution nearly all Brits could take pride in. Sadly, that doesn’t seem likely (tho i will still mention the Beeb in my daily prayers). In which case it should be privatized, and let it sink or swim in the real world.

None of those I listed for @Pagan2 appeal?

Killing Eve
    Fleabag
    Normal People
    The Serpent
    Peaky Blinders
    His Dark Materials
    Dr Foster
    The Fall
    A Suitable Boy
    Cormoran Strike
    Line of Duty

I genuinely find it puzzling that you see 'wokism' all over the BBC. One story out of 65 on the front news page that could you might describe as 'woke'.

The UK is missing a massive opportunity for global cultural influence by emasculating the BBC.

Like I said the other day, they get needlessly fussy, they spend more time stuck in lockdown and more of them die. Their choice.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited February 2021

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Very short-sighted.

Killing Eve
    Fleabag
    Normal People
    The Serpent
    Peaky Blinders
    His Dark Materials
    Dr Foster
    The Fall
    A Suitable Boy
    Cormoran Strike
    Line of Duty

Small Axe
    I May Destroy You
    Once Upon A Time In Iraq

I actually think BBC out-punches the competition. Netflix is a few absolute must watches and miles of meh.
    CatMan said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Very short-sighted.

Downton Abbey is ITV!
    How would I know no tv licence so I cant watch broadcast tv. I assumed it was bbc
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Very short-sighted.

Really? Where's today's?

ANY OTHER WEBSITE

Later....

IT. IS. FREE

HEAD. DESK
    SO. ARE. MANY. OTHERS.

Sky
    ITV
    Sun
    Express
    The Independent
    Channel 4
    etc. etc. etc.

None of those I listed for @Pagan2 appeal?

Killing Eve
    Fleabag
    Normal People
    The Serpent
    Peaky Blinders
    His Dark Materials
    Dr Foster
    The Fall
    A Suitable Boy
    Cormoran Strike
    Line of Duty

I genuinely find it puzzling that you see 'wokism' all over the BBC. One story out of 65 on the front news page that could you might describe as 'woke'.

The UK is missing a massive opportunity for global cultural influence by emasculating the BBC.
    The Beeb has emasculated itself.

How many hours were produced on that list for 2019? For 2018? For 2017?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    edited February 2021
    For nervous fliers everywhere

Edit: pipped I see

https://twitter.com/airlineflyer/status/1363243840166100993?s=21
  • The proof will be in the pudding when or if we reopen our society before them.
    Yet another reason to back getting on with unlocking.
This discussion has been closed.