Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

May 6th – the return of real elections and lots of data for political nerds to get stuck into – poli

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2021 in General
imageMay 6th – the return of real elections and lots of data for political nerds to get stuck into – politicalbetting.com

It has been a long wait but it looks almost certain that Thursday May 6th will see local and mayoral elections taking place once again. This will be in addition to the elections for the devolved parliaments in Scotland and Wales.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Tes
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    We had a Hillman Husky.....
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Third like the LibDems SNP
  • Are we nearly there yet?
  • Well at least we know the schools will definitely be open by 6th May.

No way a government would survive holding all these elections and still have parents trying to home school and all the associated mental health and educational problems.
  • Recommended reading whenever discussing local elections: https://medium.com/@theobertram/they-didnt-win-bury-d603abe083b0
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Good old locals. I'm hoping for loads of barmy candidates given the apparent reduction in signatures needed, massively so in the case of mayoral and PCcs.

Recommended reading whenever discussing local elections: https://medium.com/@theobertram/they-didnt-win-bury-d603abe083b0

Good piece. I'm not really sure what the expectations are this time around though so it may be harder to manage. 11 years in the Tories will project expecting losses, not least since they did well in 2017.
  • FPT
    OllyT said:

Anecdota about the vaccine program: I walked to the pharmacy where I had an appointment at 12:15, getting there 20 minutes early as I was unsure where it is and had allowed time to get lost. As soon as I got there they checked my name, DoB and I was ushered into the consulting room (one of two in use) to have the jab there and then. Time taken: under ten minutes. The printed list they signed me off on looked fairly full with few gaps.

I was very impressed with the level of organisation to be honest.

Congratulations on having the vaccine! I hope you have no side effects.
    Out of interest do any of our medical experts know whether a person's reaction to the vaccine would be indicative of their reaction to getting the actual infection?
    Not necessarily. The reaction - particularly anaphylactic shock reactions - could be due to the carrier medium for the active component of the vaccine. Obviously the vaccine is more than just the active anti-viral component.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618

Are we nearly there yet?

There is a rather sinister and nauseating attitude among many PBers that journalists ought to refrain from asking the questions that are exercising the minds of the public.

I can tell you that – outside the PB bubble – millions of families are trying to plan holidays, weddings and other trips – and want to see a clear route out of this.

The idea that the press shouldn't ask these questions regularly or hold the government's hands to the fire over timetable fully deserves the following billing:

Only on PB
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2021

Are we nearly there yet?

There is a rather sinister and nauseating attitude among many PBers that journalists ought to refrain from asking the questions that are exercising the minds of the public.

I can tell you that – outside the PB bubble – millions of families are trying to plan holidays, weddings and other trips – and want to see a clear route out of this.

The idea that the press shouldn't ask these questions regularly or hold the government's hands to the fire over timetable fully deserves the following billing:

Only on PB
    But the same journalists two weeks ago were screeching at the government to lock the countries borders and turn it into some sort of island prison. Question after question, about why haven't they done, when will it be done, how many extra people have died because we didn't follow Australia etc.

This week it is now back to but when can I book my summer holidays?
    edited February 2021

Are we nearly there yet?

Only on PB
    If the same questions are asked over and over again to the exclusion of other points then I dont see why that cannot be criticised. Are journalists obliged to ask only the things that exercise people, even if asked very recently and other matters might hold the government to account more? Are people not permitted to object to what may or may not be an inane question?

People may be a bit harsh on the journalists, perhaps, but I think the implication they cannot be criticised for their choices is a bit bizarre, particularly when it's often people who would prefer questions which would not paint the government in a fine light so it's not about giving the gov an easy ride.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Scott_xP said:
    Not to mention Prime Minister Johnson, eh?

World-beating, and now World-Health-Organization-leading too...
  • I prefer to think of myself as a geek not a nerd.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,631
    When we have finished everyone here we should in my view then give our first excess to the Palestinians....we not only help some of the poorest get jabbed but get to eat popcorn while watching the pro palestinian corbynites and the euphiles bitch at each other
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911
    Quick question:- do any of our medical experts know whether a person's reaction to the vaccine would be indicative of their reaction to getting the actual infection?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited February 2021
    fpt

TOPPING said:

Boris Johnson will lead a Downing Street press conference on coronavirus on Wednesday afternoon.

FFS what for? what's the point?
    He can wibble on about holibobs.

That seems to be today's media fixation.
    It is perfectly valid to ask about holidays at home and abroad.

Most people are not like the PB Home Bodies and have families who are desperate to get away, whether that be within the UK or abroad.

Nor do I accept the idea that the government is unable to model the situation in July – they will be doing exactly that.

So the press will ask questions. As they should.
    PB older, (white?), male, well-off, large house-living, big garden or grounds-owning, non-tower block-living, best vintage of Ch. l'Evangile-discussing contributors say:

Why does everyone keep banging on about holidays? Being at home is perfectly agreeable.
    And yet for many of those tower block living, non-wine swilling folks you talk of, holiday means swapping living in a set of small rooms on the 17th floor of a tower block in Birmingham for a few hours crammed into a plane and then 2 weeks living in a small room in a tower block in Spain.

If you are really concerned about their well being then stop making cheap points about holidays and start making serious points about their access to parks and the countryside without being hassled by the authorities.
    Wow. The disdain you have for those tower block living folk really oozes out of you.

So you prescribe long, bracing walks in the countryside instead? I'm sure they are all ears.
  • NBA: Dallas Mavericks 'do not plan' to play national anthem again before games

https://www.bbc.com/sport/basketball/55988763

I prefer to think of myself as a geek not a nerd.

I prefer spod or wonk.
  • OllyT said:

Anecdota about the vaccine program: I walked to the pharmacy where I had an appointment at 12:15, getting there 20 minutes early as I was unsure where it is and had allowed time to get lost. As soon as I got there they checked my name, DoB and I was ushered into the consulting room (one of two in use) to have the jab there and then. Time taken: under ten minutes. The printed list they signed me off on looked fairly full with few gaps.

Out of interest do any of our medical experts know whether a person's reaction to the vaccine would be indicative of their reaction to getting the actual infection?
    ZOE reckon your reaction is likely to be stronger if you have already had the virus, so they are assuming that it shows a stronger immune reaction is being generated.
    Boris must have upset Guido - a story on him wasting money on photographers.

You know this "dialling down the rhetoric" bit......

https://twitter.com/EPPGroup/status/1359420127989673984?s=20

THAT'S the EU tango?
    He's just some random MEP. It's like saying something Farage tweets is "The UK".
    People do that. Or some stupid backbencher. Or a pundit.
  • Can I just try that shot again, only without the incitement to sedition and assault on the seat of government?

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1359523687305797636?s=20

Given that Trump by all accounts is a cheating **** when it comes to golf, not the best metaphor.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,395
    Happy campers in Caledonia.

And we still haven't heard from Nic or Eck...

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19079195.jim-sillars-calls-revolt-within-snp-sweep-leadership-power/
    edited February 2021
    kle4 said:

Are we nearly there yet?

Only on PB
    If the same questions are asked over and over again to the exclusion of other points then I dont see why that cannot be criticised. Are journalists obliged to ask only the things that exercise people, even if asked very recently and other matters might hold the government to account more? Are people not permitted to object to what may or may not be an inane question?

People may be a bit harsh on the journalists, perhaps, but I think the implication they cannot be criticised for their choices is a bit bizarre, particularly when it's often people who would prefer questions which would not paint the government in a fine light so it's not about giving the gov an easy ride.
    Well they are not to the exclusion of all other questions are they? They are one type of question among many. I'm afraid there is a group of PBers that really dislike journalists asking questions that matter to the public – there is a large crossover with this group and those who are very pro-lockdown and don't actually mind lockdown.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    Well I have got through my proof today without turning into a cat on webex so things are clearly on the up.

Now have to look at what Sturgeon has been saying.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    deeply disappointing Scotland vaccine numbers. May have to redo my projection of 1.2million vaccinations per day in Scotland by mid April.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    TOPPING said:

fpt

TOPPING said:

Boris Johnson will lead a Downing Street press conference on coronavirus on Wednesday afternoon.

Most people are not like the PB Home Bodies and have families who are desperate to get away, whether that be within the UK or abroad.

Nor do I accept the idea that the government is unable to model the situation in July – they will be doing exactly that.

PB older, (white?), male, well-off, large house-living, big garden or grounds-owning, non-tower block-living, best vintage of Ch. l'Evangile-discussing contributors say:

Why does everyone keep banging on about holidays? Being at home is perfectly agreeable.
    And yet for many of those tower block living, non-wine swilling folks you talk of, holiday means swapping living in a set of small rooms on the 17th floor of a tower block in Birmingham for a few hours crammed into a plane and then 2 weeks living in a small room in a tower block in Spain.

If you are really concerned about their well being then stop making cheap points about holidays and start making serious points about their access to parks and the countryside without being hassled by the authorities.
    Wow. The disdain you have for those tower block living folk really oozes out of you.

So you prescribe long, bracing walks in the countryside instead? I'm sure they are all ears.
    Holidays should be the least of everyone's worries at the moment.

Jobs? Schools? Freedom to go shopping, visit the beach, play footy in the park, whatever.

I think it is really a holiday from the rules that people want, not actually the flying away part.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575

Can I just try that shot again, only without the incitement to sedition and assault on the seat of government?

Given that Trump by all accounts is a cheating **** when it comes to golf, not the best metaphor.

Lindsey Graham had some sensible thoughts about the purpose of impeachment. A couple of decades ago.
    https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1359294241768316928
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    Now this IS interesting. Apparently people were already woke way back in 1899. They objected to Cecil Rhodes of statue fame being given an honorary degree by Oxford University because Black Lives Matter

https://twitter.com/AsheLaura/status/1359097874135547907
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624

Can I just try that shot again, only without the incitement to sedition and assault on the seat of government?

Maybe what he means is *just* give it another go.....

Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
    Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    Alistair said:

deeply disappointing Scotland vaccine numbers. May have to redo my projection of 1.2million vaccinations per day in Scotland by mid April.

Why are they disappointing? Inefficiencies or because a high percentage of Scots are declining?

TOPPING said:

fpt

TOPPING said:

Holidays should be the least of everyone's worries at the moment.

Jobs? Schools? Freedom to go shopping, visit the beach, play footy in the park, whatever.

I think it is really a holiday from the rules that people want, not actually the flying away part.
    Maybe and of course those things are important. But whatever floats peoples' boats and we are not to say that those other things should take precedence. Millions of people go on holiday and for many of those it is a vital respite from the daily grind.

So you are absolutely right that holidays may well be shorthand for "when will this all end". But for the nation's mental health, they are an issue that the govt should consider very carefully indeed.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    Floater said:
    Where I am, ice cream vans often do drug dealing as a side line, with the cold stuff just for show.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555

Who would win if they had a match - Trump or Goldfinger?
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    Foxy said:

Floater said:
    Where I am, ice cream vans often do drug dealing as a side line, with the cold stuff just for show.
    In Rutland??
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

Yup !
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    Lol @ all the government fanfare yesterday about the stiff new penalties for giving false information when entering the UK; today it transpires that there isn’t going to be any new legislation nor new penalties, and they propose to prosecute people under the existing counterfeiting act. Which carries a theoretical penalty maximum of ten years but generally offences get a small fine.
  • Stocky said:

Alistair said:

Why are they disappointing? Inefficiencies or because a high percentage of Scots are declining?
    That's what we call in North Britain a wee bit o' pawky humour.
    Foxy said:

Floater said:
    Weren't they always just a front for something else? The ice-cream wars, etc?

And "where you are"? What, quaint Leicestershire villages?

OllyT said:

ZOE reckon your reaction is likely to be stronger if you have already had the virus, so they are assuming that it shows a stronger immune reaction is being generated.
    Certainly the people at work who have had the virus feel really quite rough for a couple of days after vaccination.

I think that there is a fair bit of ambient virus circulating, in effect acting as a vaccine booster too.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

The crime rate in Sandford is epic.
    edited February 2021
    Japan will have to throw away one-sixth of its doses of Pfizer's Covid-19 vaccine because it doesn't have enough specialist syringes, health officials have said.

However the standard syringes used in Japan can only extract five doses from each vial, cabinet secretary Katsunobu Kato tells reporters.

The remaining dose in each vial will be "basically discarded", he adds - meaning they will be able to vaccinate 12 million fewer people than previously thought.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    May 6th. My birthday. Can I hope for a nice present in the evening of a collapse in the Tory vote, I wonder.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    Foxy said:

OllyT said:

Certainly the people at work who have had the virus feel really quite rough for a couple of days after vaccination.

I think that there is a fair bit of ambient virus circulating, in effect acting as a vaccine booster too.
    I think the last point is absolutely crucial: real CV19 will act as a nice vaccine booster and will (hopefully) help keep the SA variant from becoming too prevalent in the UK.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

May 6th. My birthday. Can I hope for a nice present in the evening of a collapse in the Tory vote, I wonder.

Doesn't look likely, unfortunately.
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

So told to me by a patient in CID. Ice cream van businesses are also good for money laundering too apparently.

I am not sure if you are aware of "County Lines" but drug dealing is quite a thing in market towns.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    FF43 said:

Now this IS interesting. Apparently people were already woke way back in 1899. They objected to Cecil Rhodes of statue fame being given an honorary degree by Oxford University because Black Lives Matter

https://twitter.com/AsheLaura/status/1359097874135547907

So, what you're saying is that Oxford Dons were briefly awake in the late 19th Century, before drifting off for most of the 20th?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    Scott_xP said:
    Why, have they finally found WMD in Iraq ready to fire in 45 minutes?
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Those bloody supertankers eh Ursula......
    edited February 2021

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I wonder if there be a differential turnout between the vaccinated and the unvaccinated? Or is this all going to be done by post? Might lead to some interesting results.
    Stocky said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:
    In Rutland??
    I am not in Rutland (which btw has suddenly shot up in the covid numbers due to a prison outbreak).
    edited February 2021
    TikTok Sale to Oracle, Walmart Is Shelved as Biden Reviews Security

A U.S. plan to force the sale of TikTok’s American operations to a group including Oracle Corp. and Walmart Inc. has been shelved indefinitely, people familiar with the situation said, as President Biden undertakes a broad review of his predecessor’s efforts to address potential security risks from Chinese tech companies.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tiktok-sale-to-oracle-walmart-is-shelved-as-biden-reviews-security-11612958401
    edited February 2021
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

So told to me by a patient in CID. Ice cream van businesses are also good for money laundering too apparently.

I am not sure if you are aware of "County Lines" but drug dealing is quite a thing in market towns.
    There is certainly a suspicion round this way that ice cream vans aren't all they seem (or, rather, are doing exactly what you might expect). The story isn't restricted to Leicestershire.

I was going to post a similar response but was a bit slow.

I wonder if there be a differential turnout between the vaccinated and the unvaccinated? Or is this all going to be done by post?
    I'm going to vote in person with a mask. I might be half done with vaccinations by then.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    The 2017 county council elections saw a result of Tories 38%, Labour 27% and LDs 18%, so on current polls you would expect to see Labour make significant gains from the Tories in the county elections and the LDs even to lose some seats.

The postponed district councils seats were last up in 2016 and saw a result of Labour 31%, Tories 30% and LDs 15% so there is likely to be little change there, though again the LDs could get squeezed unless they get their local vote out again.
  • I didn't realise there was a difference between the SNP and the Scottish Government...
    I expect if there's one group that might be cautious to head out to the polling booth though, could be WFH 30/40 somethings - a good group for Labour...
  • Pulpstar said:

I wonder if there be a differential turnout between the vaccinated and the unvaccinated? Or is this all going to be done by post?
    I'm going to vote in person with a mask. I might be half done with vaccinations by then.
    I'm due my second shot on May the 1st.
  • TOPPING said:

fpt

TOPPING said:

No my disdain is reserved for you and your faux concern for those living in tower blocks when you really don't give a sh*t about them except to score political points.
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

I have never seen an icre-cream van in Oakham if that's what you mean?
  • To be honest that looks like a steady rise since about September, a month or two before Biden was elected.
  • 13k new cases in todays numbers.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    13,013 cases reported today. That's a massive 32% reduction from the same day last week. Recently Wednesdays have shown much higher figures from the previous day (it was +2.5K last week) and this week it is only about +650. Likely we will see under 10K cases/day next week.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Kudos to the JCVI, Hancock and even Blair for pushing the 8-12 week policy.

It's not only the EU who got this wrong but also the BMA and a few twitter celeb doctors like Rachel Clarke who are clearly not experts in the field of vaccinations. I'm glad for all our sakes our approach has been vindicated.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited February 2021

Even if the Tory vote stays the same as it currently is in the polls I reckon the Tories will have a bad night in May.

The 2017 locals/mayorals was one of the best for the Tories/worst for Labour in recent times, certainly one a party that had been in government for seven years.

The 2017 locals was one of the reasons Tory strategists were convinced Mrs May was on course to win a majority of 294.
  • Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

So you are telling me that "Rum and Raisin" is not the most intoxicating thing on the menu?

TOPPING said:

fpt

TOPPING said:

No my disdain is reserved for you and your faux concern for those living in tower blocks when you really don't give a sh*t about them except to score political points.
    Richard you seem angry (plus ça change - that's french btw).

You were sneering at those people who want to swap "a set of small rooms in Birmingham for a small room in Spain when they should really be going out for long walks in the country." I paraphase.

I hope it makes you feel better to be so dismissive of such people.
    edited February 2021
    Foxy said:

Floater said:
    Blimey, didn't know criminals took their cue from GTA Vice City.

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

So you are telling me that "Rum and Raisin" is not the most intoxicating thing on the menu?
    One of my very early jobs was working opposite a regular ice-cream van stand. They seemed such nice people. :smile:

Then again - https://twistedfood.co.uk/the-unbelievable-true-story-behind-glasgows-ice-cream-wars

• kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:
    Two of the leads on GTA are Scottish.
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:
    Where are the writers of GTA based? Which city has the biggest drug problem in Scotland (and Europe)?
  • RobD said:

Doesn't look likely, unfortunately.
    According to Twitter, national polling is basically the same now as in 2016, but 2017 was a bumper crop for the Tories. So likely to be a mixed bag.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:
    I am not 100% sure it has surged, while there are well-documented cases of firms (and liquidity) exiting the market to the EU.

But I don't think the City is going to go anywhere soon as there is plenty of creativity there which will come to the fore.
    The decision has been made for financial services in the UK. The previous business model that included London as the financial centre for Europe no longer applies, so no point in flogging a dead horse. London will continue as a domestically significant financial centre, which also offers certain products at the global level, so we should focus on those. I doubt the City benefits from Brexit, but it is all moot now.
  • Its absolutely absurd to offer equivalence to Aus and NZ but not the UK.

Of course equivalence should be the sane, rational solution but if they don't desire to be sane and rational we can't make them be.

We can however invoke Article 16.
  • Tests levelling off....

• Feb RCV in NYC

New York City is now using Ranked Choice Voting for municipal primary and special elections. Including two special elections for city council this February.

Under the new system, voters can rank up to five candidates in their order of preference; if no candidate received a majority of first prefs, then candidates with lowest votes are eliminated (figuratively speaking) and their votes are redistributed to each voter's next-highest pref (if they had any).

For special elections, there is an early voting period (in person & absentee) as well as regular poll voting on special election day.

> On February 2, in NYC Council District 24 in eastern Queens (Fresh Meadows, Jamaica) where 8 candidates filed, special election was won by former councilmember James Genaro with 59.8% of first preferences; turnout was 11% of active registered voters. This vacancy was created when incumbent resigned to take state job with Gov. Cuomo; district is ethnically mixed between Whites, Asians & Latinos, plus some Blacks, and

> On February 23, in NYC Council District 31, also in southeast Queens (JFK, Far Rockaway & other hoods close to the airport), 13 candidates are contending for seat that became open when the incumbent was elected Queens Borough President last fall. Also note this district is 2/3 Black and just 5% White, with large Latino element. Likely winner will be Black Democrat with significant endorsements, esp. from labor.

My guess is that special election in NYC Dist 31 will go past the first count, as no candidate is as clear a front runner as Genaro was in Dist 24.

Looking forward, two more NYC Council special elections scheduled for March 23:

> District 11 in northwest Bronx (the most "suburban" part of this famously gritty borough); incumbent just elected as judge.

> District 15 in central Bronx (Fordham & vicinity) incumbent elected in 2020 to US House.
    It sure does. Great to see.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

I wonder if there be a differential turnout between the vaccinated and the unvaccinated? Or is this all going to be done by post? Might lead to some interesting results.
    It won't be all by post, though we have cross-party unanimity in my area that it should be - what part of "only meeting people for essential business" does the Government not understand? And how fair is it on council staff to have to meet hundreds of people when there's a perfectly good alternative?

We are sending postal votes details to every household to encourage it as far as possible. I doubt if there's a predictable impact on any party benefiting - traditionally the Tories do best on postal votes, but that's perhaps because postal voting has been skewed to the elderly. It's one of those things that just makes sense, regardless of party.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    1st dose vaccinations now more than 13M. 411K across the UK yesterday, it was 375K last week. Most of that increase has come from Scotland.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

The crime rate in Sandford is epic.
    Not another chicken gone missing?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884

Tests levelling off....

As they should - with far fewer people getting ill, you'd hope the tests for those who think they might have it will drop too.
This discussion has been closed.