Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trying to explain what’s been happening in Brussels – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,518

Has she tweeted in the form of a cryptic crossword clue?
    She’s speaking Erse for the benefit of Irish politicians. Alternative definition of Erse - Scottish word meaning idiot, e.g. don’t listen to him, he’s an erse.
    Surely in the context of Ireland, eejit is the better description?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,043

Pagan2 said:

There is zero reasons to help europeans they can afford their own...all our surplus should go to the third world countries that cant afford to immunize their people

It's a difficult one. On the one hand the EU deserves no co-operation at all after today's events. On the other, (a) this is the fault of the politicians not the people, and (b) we don't want to end up as a ramshackle fort surrounded by plague ravaged badlands, like the besieged survivors in a zombie horror flick.

It's probably a good idea to be pragmatic, although this is also an object lesson in why this country should aim to build relationships with the rest of the world as fast as possible. Just as, when Ireland joined the EEC, Dublin viewed it as an opportunity to reduce its dependence on Britain, so Britain should view Brexit as an opportunity to reduce its reliance on Europe.
    There's also a question about what happens in the EU now, in terms of whether their is sufficient unhappiness about the performance of the Commission by the individual countries and by the European Parliament.

If UvL and the vaccines person were to find themselves looking for new roles, it would (a) suggest the EU was doing a better job making its leadership accountable, and (b) allow a reset.

On the other hand, it is more probable that nothing changes at all.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,113
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Re President Macron FPT

What he has said, in toto, is wildly irresponsible. The science is debatable, but much of it (most of it?) says Yes, a one dose strategy makes good sense, in extremis. This is a pandemic, you can't always do everything by the book, minimising initial infections (with one shot) is the best route, but make sure you re-inject after 12 weeks (which is HMG's plan, AIUI)

Now, fuck knows, maybe it will prove a disaster. But no one can be sure, yet here is President Emmanuel Trump of France making statements which are:1. hugely undermining confidence in the efficacy of a crucial vaccine and 2. claiming a one dose strategy is utterly wrong - and with no scientific consensus supporting him for either claim.

Macron may be a mincing, narcissistic toyboy but he is not stupid.

My guess? - he has been seriously unnerved by that poll showing Le Pen nearly beating him in Round 2, and he has overreacted in an "unhelpful" way

Either that or he is listening to the manufacturer, the FDA and the WHO.
    Or..... the CDC

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/90832

The Royal College of Surgeons

https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/news-and-events/media-centre/press-releases/statement-jcvi-policy-delay-second-dose-covid-vaccines/

The Royal College of Physicians

https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/news-and-events/media-centre/press-releases/statement-jcvi-policy-delay-second-dose-covid-vaccines/

or the Canadian Health Service

As I said, the science is disputed. The fact is, no one can be sure. It is a punt, but one that, to me, seems justified when facing a desperate situation with a more virulent variant, and when you REALLY need to stop more mutations (from more infections)

What Macron did was say everyone basically agreed with him, and the delayed 2nd dose was stupid. Which was stupid, of him. And also plainly wrong.
    Remember what the guy from the WHO said early on in the pandemic: "Be fast. Have no regrets. You must be the first mover. The virus will always get you if you don't move quickly."

https://twitter.com/drjackyhewitt/status/1239072133700972544
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,909
    JonathanD said:

Pagan2 said:

JonathanD said:

rcs1000 said:

alex_ said:

rcs1000 said:

Right, now everyone's jumped on the anti-EU bandwagon, I've decided to switch sides.

Frankly, it's no fun being a member of a crowd.

What angle are you going with?
    Oh, I'm going to keep it simple.

Frankly, for the first time, the EU is genuinely thinking of its citizens, and how it can make sure they have the essential vaccines they need. I'm just glad they're finally thinking of the people, and not just looking after big corporations.

How's that?

I'd say the core Remain arguments are:

1) The EU provides a political framework for differences and tensions between European countries to be discussed and resolved peacefully and with the minimum of damage, rather than descending into damaging confrontations. This week being a perfect example of how quickly simple problems can deteriorate to talk of 'war'.

2) The UK because of its geographical position is going to be deeply affected by the EU whether we are in it our out of it. Better to be in it and have some control and protection, than out of it and at its mercy. In the end, the UK is too big to be ignored by the EU but too small to fight back.
    You are content that resolving those differences means none of the members getting vaccines in a timely fashion....really you think its worth that?

By May the EU (or the portions where the most are dying) will have caught up with the UK in vaccinations and this early panic will have been forgotten about. The UK will still have one of the highest death rates in the world and a shattered economy as well. Yes the EU have been idiots regarding vaccines but that doesn't change the overall picture.
    It's what they are counting on, but it should not be used to ignore the lessons they can learn from their foul up on vaccination, even if we have more to learn on other aspects.
  • Options

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Even on a day like today, when already bungled themselves into vaccine hole, EU dug it infinitely deeper almost creating a land border in Ireland (yes, serious mistake) before they backtracked making themselves a laughing stock, yet there is still no reason to get emotive about how we can and should help Europe nations in their hour of crisis.

My reasoning is this.

It’s not that all the difficult decisions have been made and it’s some sort of game set and match here. COVID crisis still has a long way to run. It’s not just preventing hospitalisation and death to aim for, but restrict transmissions, and as newer vaccines come along, some actually based on COVID itself, they may be better at one or the other, or just all round better than what you have stockpiled and still jabbing away with. Also now the need to be innovative with the range of weaponry, mix and matching to try to find the optimum delivery. It leads to more crucial decisions yet to be taken.

That’s why I say do what you can to avoid Vaccine Nationalism. UK to foster as big a coalition of cooperation and support as it can - ignore how or why EU have crisis, simply recognise crisis on our doorstep, and talk and explore how we can help them with it, without too much detriment to ourselves.

Because at some point before this is over, we may yet need help in return.

It looks likely that the Government is going to be left with a vast surplus of vaccines before this is all done. They have dodged the question earlier today of what they intend to do once phase one of the JCVI scheme is complete, which might not take very long at all at the current rate of progress. I dare say that the Government would've been happy to help the EU, amongst other parties. If they don't completely wreck our friendship by seizing all the UK's Pfizer orders then the UK Government probably will still help them.

But how is the UK Government meant to find the political room to do anything to help in the first place if this rotten lot treat us as the enemy? Look at the enormous list of exemptions on their export control list, and then look at who isn't exempted. Then also take a look at the noises off that have come from their side, not just attacking AstraZeneca for the dreadful failing of not being able to deliver enough of a vaccine that the European Commission ordered far too late, but also foaming on about the UK showing insufficient solidarity, or wanting to start a vaccine war, or whatever other fictitious, bullshit accusation springs to mind.

God alone knows the British Government is very far from bloody perfect, but in this case the entire fault for today's collective nervous breakdown lies at the door of the EU. They've done the sabre rattling, they've issued the threats, they've treated us as the enemy. All because they're looking for a scapegoat to try to obscure their own mistakes, and have decided that the UK is the best candidate available.

I know that the European Commission and the member state politicians alike are facing a disaster and they're desperate, but beating us over the head, as a displacement activity to avoid having to confront their own liability, isn't on. We can help them, but first they need to back the Hell off.
    There is zero reasons to help europeans they can afford their own...all our surplus should go to the third world countries that cant afford to immunize their people
    The CTA is a good reason
    If it is true that there is a very nasty 3rd wave on the way and that is what has EU countries spooked then I think it would be a matter of self preservation to get the whole island of Ireland jabbed as fast as possible.

But that is an almost secondary reason. Eire shares these islands with us and I think that in itself is as good a reason as any to help them out. I am not convinced that the rest of the EU can or will look out for them. It is a matter of common decency that we do.

To be honest if the amount of vaccine coming down the line is anything like what is expected we would be able to get Ireland jabbed and meet or even exceed our commitments under COVAX without to much of a problem.

And we should do, not because of Imperial guilt, or self preservation or even self promotion but because it is simply the right thing to do.
    I entirely agree. But are Ireland allowed by the EU to take our vaccine? Would they want it after the President of France rubbished it?
  • Options
    Two steps backwards now:

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1355300413197725701

Good. A few more steps backwards to do. First they need to give up the whole nonsense of export 'checks', then issue an abject apology to AZ, and then they can start again with by trying to work constructively with the vaccine manufacturers (and with us, for that matter).
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    JonathanD said:

Pagan2 said:

JonathanD said:

rcs1000 said:

alex_ said:

rcs1000 said:

Right, now everyone's jumped on the anti-EU bandwagon, I've decided to switch sides.

Frankly, for the first time, the EU is genuinely thinking of its citizens, and how it can make sure they have the essential vaccines they need. I'm just glad they're finally thinking of the people, and not just looking after big corporations.

How's that?

1) The EU provides a political framework for differences and tensions between European countries to be discussed and resolved peacefully and with the minimum of damage, rather than descending into damaging confrontations. This week being a perfect example of how quickly simple problems can deteriorate to talk of 'war'.

2) The UK because of its geographical position is going to be deeply affected by the EU whether we are in it our out of it. Better to be in it and have some control and protection, than out of it and at its mercy. In the end, the UK is too big to be ignored by the EU but too small to fight back.
    You are content that resolving those differences means none of the members getting vaccines in a timely fashion....really you think its worth that?

By May the EU (or the portions where the most are dying) will have caught up with the UK in vaccinations and this early panic will have been forgotten about. The UK will still have one of the highest death rates in the world and a shattered economy as well. Yes the EU have been idiots regarding vaccines but that doesn't change the overall picture.
    May's a hell of a long way away. It was only a matter of weeks ago we had fewer deaths than Italy. We've now got 17,000 more.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    alex_ said:

Pagan2 said:

alex_ said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

It's a difficult one. On the one hand the EU deserves no co-operation at all after today's events. On the other, (a) this is the fault of the politicians not the people, and (b) we don't want to end up as a ramshackle fort surrounded by plague ravaged badlands, like the besieged survivors in a zombie horror flick.

It's probably a good idea to be pragmatic, although this is also an object lesson in why this country should aim to build relationships with the rest of the world as fast as possible. Just as, when Ireland joined the EEC, Dublin viewed it as an opportunity to reduce its dependence on Britain, so Britain should view Brexit as an opportunity to reduce its reliance on Europe.
    I thought the same before all this....we should send spare vaccines to countries that cant afford their own
    Look this is true. But there is also a clear national interest in the EU beating the virus as quickly as possible.

Not to mention the issue of EU shortfalls leading to Eastern countries in particular falling back into Russian orbit.
    There is what is that? Dont quote immigration as half our immigrants come from the third world...dont quote tourism as most of are tourists aren't from europe...They just happen to be near is all we don't interact with them all that much
    I was thinking more of our own citizens having a penchant for holidaying abroad...
    Simple you just say holiday in the eu you quarantine for 2 weeks holiday in ghana which we have vaccinated you dont need to.....gives the third world an income boost at the same time
  • Options

Two steps backwards now:

Good. A few more steps backwards to do. First they need to give up the whole nonsense of export 'checks', then issue an abject apology to AZ, and then they can start again with by trying to work constructively with the vaccine manufacturers (and with us, for that matter).

Lol - i'm not sure she's completely conceded the argument over the AZ contract ;)
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    Brexit threatens the peace process for 5 years...the EU for 5 hours. Get some perspective.
  • Options

Two steps backwards now:

That is a sweeping climb down.

I'm glad to see it, I just wish we hadn't had to go through the insanity first. Because once you've said something, it cannot be unsaid.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Two steps backwards now:

Lol - i'm not sure she's completely conceded the argument over the AZ contract ;)
    Not yet.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Please please please let me keep my job

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1355299075223121928
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Two steps backwards now:

I'm glad to see it, I just wish we hadn't had to go through the insanity first. Because once you've said something, it cannot be unsaid.
    Have they repealed their export authorization rules? Don't think so until they do its just the vapid words of a stupid woman
  • Options
    We seriously need to to talk financial passporting in a way that obviously has nothing to do with vaccines.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,421

Two steps backwards now:

Jesus. So the EU soiled itself in public, for no benefit whatsoever?

They have gained nothing and the price has been the loss of all credibility. Genius.

• Options
    valleyboy said:

Brexit threatens the peace process for 5 years...the EU for 5 hours. Get some perspective.

Neither the eu or the uk threatened the peace process....bullies with guns threatened it
  • Options

Does anyone have a table or source for how much each country (and the EU) have pledged for Covax?

I can see funding things on the Gavi website but they're massive and apply to Gavi, not specifically Covax.

One would expect most Covax donations to be from individual EU member states, because international development is about 95% member states, 5% the EU.

Remember, the EU's budget is still pretty tiny compared to even a small country's.

Whether individual states have been generous or not, is another question.

(The French are, of course, famous for saying things like "Here! Have €500m for vaccines. But you'll need to buy them all from Valneva SA. And they'll all be at list price.")
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    valleyboy said:

People are focusing on this one today because it happened today. It's not a lack of perspective to react to something literally as it is happening. Nor do wrongs elsewhere make wrong here, right.

It's like if people brought up BLM riots whilst the rioters on 6 January were still storming through Congress - yes, that's an issue too, but this one is currently happening, so it may be time to think about this one at the moment.

It's part of what I like to think of as the overreaction to reaction response - when people seek to forestall a reaction to events, by claiming it would be an overeaction.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,735
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Re President Macron FPT

What he has said, in toto, is wildly irresponsible. The science is debatable, but much of it (most of it?) says Yes, a one dose strategy makes good sense, in extremis. This is a pandemic, you can't always do everything by the book, minimising initial infections (with one shot) is the best route, but make sure you re-inject after 12 weeks (which is HMG's plan, AIUI)

Now, fuck knows, maybe it will prove a disaster. But no one can be sure, yet here is President Emmanuel Trump of France making statements which are:1. hugely undermining confidence in the efficacy of a crucial vaccine and 2. claiming a one dose strategy is utterly wrong - and with no scientific consensus supporting him for either claim.

My guess? - he has been seriously unnerved by that poll showing Le Pen nearly beating him in Round 2, and he has overreacted in an "unhelpful" way

AZ Foxy.
    I was speaking of the Pfizer manufacturer. AZN did have a 12 week interval in their Cov002 arm, so there is published data on it.

I see that the J and J vaccine in a single dose does work, but with a lower success rate of 66%. That sounds fairly comparable with the other vaccines in single dose form, and I wonder if that one also would work better with a booster. If we want to suppress the virus completely, then we need vaccines with efficacy rates like Pfizer and Moderna.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,993
    OT. Just discovered Ice T was christened Tracy Marrow.
    Which amused my inner 10 year old.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    kle4 said:

JonathanD said:

Pagan2 said:

JonathanD said:

rcs1000 said:

alex_ said:

rcs1000 said:

How's that?

It's what they are counting on, but it should not be used to ignore the lessons they can learn from their foul up on vaccination, even if we have more to learn on other aspects.
    Of course the EU should learn from their mistake although they probably won't. However the vaccine foul-up doesn't really change the benefits / negatives of Brexit.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Two steps backwards now:

Indeed. Companies and countries don’t have to have said anything publicly to have noted what was said by the EU and concluded they now trust it less.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Does anyone have a table or source for how much each country (and the EU) have pledged for Covax?

I can see funding things on the Gavi website but they're massive and apply to Gavi, not specifically Covax.

One would expect most Covax donations to be from individual EU member states, because international development is about 95% member states, 5% the EU.

Remember, the EU's budget is still pretty tiny compared to even a small country's.

(The French are, of course, famous for saying things like "Here! Have €500m for vaccines. But you'll need to buy them all from Valneva SA. And they'll all be at list price.")
    Germany I believe have given the most...richer than us....bigger than us...they gave 100 mill we gave 500 with a promise of extra funding of 4$ gets you a 1$ from us up to a further 250 mill
  • Options
    Seriously, Chris Grayling is now leading the VDL Cabinet isn’t he? It’s the best explanation.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Two steps backwards now:

They have gained nothing and the price has been the loss of all credibility. Genius.

They have.

They shat the bed. Then they realised the consequences. Then they walked it back.

But in doing so, they (a) appear an unreliable partner to pharma companies and (b) pissed off an ally.

In a sane world, UvdL would resign, as would the EU's vaccines chief. And the new people would start over.

Sadly, to date, the EU has not worked like that.
  • Options
    Floater said:
    They did a big steaming poo on the chessboard and now trying to carry on like nothing happened.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Two steps backwards now:

Have they repealed their export authorization rules? Don't think so until they do its just the vapid words of a stupid woman
    Agreed. But,.stupid can have convex or concave genitalia.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Floater said:

Please please please let me keep my job

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1355299075223121928

She's not worried about that, that would be seen as weakness so it won't be allowed to happen.

But still, who authorised that oversight earlier?

Also, calm, reasonable statements following absurd response to avoid responsibility? It really is Trumpian!
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Two steps backwards now:

"no restrictions on the export of vaccines... fulfilling contractual requirements" is pretty unambiguous.

It's a massive (and welcome) walk back. But it should never have been necessary.
  • Options
    Floater said:
    She's presumably right - but i would speculate as usual editorialising. I doubt LauraK has many contacts in EU member states.

• Options
    If the next poll like the one in the header were done right now, I'd predict 50 50 EU support/oppose.

Two weeks from now I reckon 60 40 in favour of the UK.

Anyone else fancy a guess?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Re President Macron FPT

AZ Foxy.
    I was speaking of the Pfizer manufacturer. AZN did have a 12 week interval in their Cov002 arm, so there is published data on it.

I see that the J and J vaccine in a single dose does work, but with a lower success rate of 66%. That sounds fairly comparable with the other vaccines in single dose form, and I wonder if that one also would work better with a booster. If we want to suppress the virus completely, then we need vaccines with efficacy rates like Pfizer and Moderna.
    For now Pfizer recommend three weeks.

The WHO are involved with the UK's 12 week program now and are very interested now in making this the WHO advice worldwide.

It was a very good idea by the UK scientists that should save thousands of lives in the UK, and possibly tens or hundreds of thousands of lives worldwide.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Two steps backwards now:

They have.

They shat the bed. Then they realised the consequences. Then they walked it back.

But in doing so, they (a) appear an unreliable partner to pharma companies and (b) pissed off an ally.

In a sane world, UvdL would resign, as would the EU's vaccines chief. And the new people would start over.

And you didn't even mention hero of the antivaxers, Manny Macron.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,797
    edited January 2021
    Has anyone ever suggested electing the EU executive? It would undoubtedly be messy holding such a vote in 27 countries, but perhaps better than not being elected at all.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Two steps backwards now:

I wasnt suggesting she was stupid because she was a woman I was suggesting she was stupid and coincidentally happened to be a woman. If it had been barnier doing it I would have equally said stupid man
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2021

If the next poll like the one in the header were done right now, I'd predict 50 50 EU support/oppose.

If the EU walk this back and don't block UK vaccines, I don't think it will cut through. At the moment, to the casual observer it is a lot of noise about the EU shouting at a drug company about contracts.

If they do block them, then it becomes very emotive and even those that don't follow things closely will notice as they hear Granny has had their jab cancelled.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,655
    Friday night, and this reminds me of a Lib Dem video produced on just about 90 minutes notice when Gordon Brown did his on-off election in 2007.

For some reason the Lib Dem vote is left off the Bar Chart. Mike's version of GODOY is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l22kHO5jdRU&feature=emb_title
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Germany I believe have given the most...richer than us....bigger than us...they gave 100 mill we gave 500 with a promise of extra funding of 4$ gets you a 1$ from us up to a further 250 mill
    Oh we've been very generous, and I applaud that.

I'm just pointing out that the EU's total budget is simply not that large (€160bn or so) compared to the budgets of its members (around €3 trillion), and therefore one would expect the vast bulk of Covax donations (if they were to come) to be from the member states and not the EU itself.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

There's also a question about what happens in the EU now, in terms of whether their is sufficient unhappiness about the performance of the Commission by the individual countries and by the European Parliament.

If UvL and the vaccines person were to find themselves looking for new roles, it would (a) suggest the EU was doing a better job making its leadership accountable, and (b) allow a reset.

Yes, to look at it from a europhile perspective, this utter shitshow might actually be the vital spur to reform that the EU so urgently needs.

If 2/3 of the EU parliament agree, they can throw out the Commission (at least I think so, EU "democracy" is so opaque).

There can surely be no better moment than now. The EU bigwigs have monumentally fucked up. At a critical moment. This is Neville Chamberlain style stuff. This is the moment Cromwell walks into the Commons and says I Beseech Thee, Go.

It could be galvanising,

As a UK Leaver, I could be tempted to rejoin a vastly reformed yet looser, less arrogant and truly democratic EU. If anything might midwife this EU into existence, it is surely the events that transpired this week.

I am not overly optimistic. But, we shall see. As a proud son of European civilisation, I hope it happens. As a skeptical Brit who has too-long despaired of the EU as it actually is, I am not wagering any money on the optimal outcome
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited January 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Two steps backwards now:

They have.

(c) pissed off a neighbour and ally who have rights to hundreds of millions of doses - and whose country manufactures many millions of doses a week.

A phonecall from VDL to Boris earlier this week saying "can you help please?" probably would have played out far better than this farce!
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Two steps backwards now:

I wasnt suggesting she was stupid because she was a woman I was suggesting she was stupid and coincidentally happened to be a woman. If it had been barnier doing it I would have equally said stupid man
    Fair enough. Kinda regretted posting that as I did it.
    It was provoked by something else not to do with you or this board.
    I ought not to project like that.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Two steps backwards now:

"no restrictions on the export of vaccines... fulfilling contractual requirements" is pretty unambiguous.

It's a massive (and welcome) walk back. But it should never have been necessary.
    Then they should have no issue repealing the regulation should they...until they do I don't believe them
  • Options

52:48
  • Options

I initially read that as anti-Jacobin.

Three cheers to OGH. He's never hidden his pro-EU views but has a sense of humour

I believe OGH has had his first Pfizer ... but not his second. (Happy to be corrected)

Clearly, those who had one Pfizer need the second in due course.

They can't be given the second dose of a different vaccine.

So, disruption of supplies by "our friends in the EU" may still cause problems -- even if we have plenty of other vaccines.
    There is no particular reason that the Pfizer second dose needs also to be Pfizer. Obviously no such regime has yet been trialled, but neither has the Pfizer with a 12 week gap, so they are equally evidence free.

It is not so applicable to RNA vaccines, but those with a viral vector such as AZN may well work better with a different vaccine as booster. There is an AZN/Sputnik combination trial for example.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Two steps backwards now:

Fair enough. Kinda regretted posting that as I did it.
    It was provoked by something else not to do with you or this board.
    I ought not to project like that.
    No problem I can see why you might have taken it the way you did
  • Options

I initially read that as anti-Jacobin.

Three cheers to OGH. He's never hidden his pro-EU views but has a sense of humour

I believe OGH has had his first Pfizer ... but not his second. (Happy to be corrected)

Clearly, those who had one Pfizer need the second in due course.

They can't be given the second dose of a different vaccine.

So, disruption of supplies by "our friends in the EU" may still cause problems -- even if we have plenty of other vaccines.
    Is that so? I thought someone said it may be possible to mix them. DYOR.
  • Options

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Even on a day like today, when already bungled themselves into vaccine hole, EU dug it infinitely deeper almost creating a land border in Ireland (yes, serious mistake) before they backtracked making themselves a laughing stock, yet there is still no reason to get emotive about how we can and should help Europe nations in their hour of crisis.

My reasoning is this.

It’s not that all the difficult decisions have been made and it’s some sort of game set and match here. COVID crisis still has a long way to run. It’s not just preventing hospitalisation and death to aim for, but restrict transmissions, and as newer vaccines come along, some actually based on COVID itself, they may be better at one or the other, or just all round better than what you have stockpiled and still jabbing away with. Also now the need to be innovative with the range of weaponry, mix and matching to try to find the optimum delivery. It leads to more crucial decisions yet to be taken.

That’s why I say do what you can to avoid Vaccine Nationalism. UK to foster as big a coalition of cooperation and support as it can - ignore how or why EU have crisis, simply recognise crisis on our doorstep, and talk and explore how we can help them with it, without too much detriment to ourselves.

It looks likely that the Government is going to be left with a vast surplus of vaccines before this is all done. They have dodged the question earlier today of what they intend to do once phase one of the JCVI scheme is complete, which might not take very long at all at the current rate of progress. I dare say that the Government would've been happy to help the EU, amongst other parties. If they don't completely wreck our friendship by seizing all the UK's Pfizer orders then the UK Government probably will still help them.

But how is the UK Government meant to find the political room to do anything to help in the first place if this rotten lot treat us as the enemy? Look at the enormous list of exemptions on their export control list, and then look at who isn't exempted. Then also take a look at the noises off that have come from their side, not just attacking AstraZeneca for the dreadful failing of not being able to deliver enough of a vaccine that the European Commission ordered far too late, but also foaming on about the UK showing insufficient solidarity, or wanting to start a vaccine war, or whatever other fictitious, bullshit accusation springs to mind.

God alone knows the British Government is very far from bloody perfect, but in this case the entire fault for today's collective nervous breakdown lies at the door of the EU. They've done the sabre rattling, they've issued the threats, they've treated us as the enemy. All because they're looking for a scapegoat to try to obscure their own mistakes, and have decided that the UK is the best candidate available.

I know that the European Commission and the member state politicians alike are facing a disaster and they're desperate, but beating us over the head, as a displacement activity to avoid having to confront their own liability, isn't on. We can help them, but first they need to back the Hell off.
    The CTA is a good reason
    If it is true that there is a very nasty 3rd wave on the way and that is what has EU countries spooked then I think it would be a matter of self preservation to get the whole island of Ireland jabbed as fast as possible.

But that is an almost secondary reason. Eire shares these islands with us and I think that in itself is as good a reason as any to help them out. I am not convinced that the rest of the EU can or will look out for them. It is a matter of common decency that we do.

To be honest if the amount of vaccine coming down the line is anything like what is expected we would be able to get Ireland jabbed and meet or even exceed our commitments under COVAX without to much of a problem.

And we should do, not because of Imperial guilt, or self preservation or even self promotion but because it is simply the right thing to do.
    I entirely agree. But are Ireland allowed by the EU to take our vaccine? Would they want it after the President of France rubbished it?
    Yes they are. It is what makes this whole debacle so sad. Any country in the EU could have chosen to make their own vaccine arrangements and they still can. But they almost all chose to delegate that authority to the EU. Some have now thought better of it - Hungary for example is getting its vaccine from Russia. Ireland could very easily accept vaccines from the UK if it had the political will and the need to do so.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    alex_ said:

Two steps backwards now:

If the threats to block the UK's orders have been rescinded then that's the main thing - provided that the EU's position doesn't change again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next. After recent events one could be forgiven for wondering what on Earth they might come out with next.

If the legal opinions we've all read are anything like accurate then there shouldn't be any issues with the AZ supply either. If it goes to court that should hopefully take long enough not to make any practical difference to Britain's rollout, and in any event the consensus would appear to be that the Commission's case is slim to non-existent.

Working constructively with us will depend on how generous the UK Government is feeling as much as the attitude of the EU. Being put on an export control list for products for which the Commission was prepared to offer exempt access to Syria is a major insult. We will, of course, deal with them because we have to, but for one thing I should imagine that if there was any plan to let the Commission's "ambassador" in London have his red carpet treatment and Zoom call with the Queen, then that's just been cast into today's dumpster fire.
  • Options

Seriously, Chris Grayling is now leading the VDL Cabinet isn’t he? It’s the best explanation.

VDL has done the equivalent of the 1931 Schneider Trophy victory - she has permanently taken possesion of the Gavin Williamson Governmental Trophy.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    If true, amazing that as late as October, Hancock was the only minister thinking there would be a vaccine.

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1317457902723018755?s=20
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Leon said:

Two steps backwards now:

Yep. The toddler having a tantrum in Aisle 3 pulled down a massive stack of baked beans. And didn't even get a bag of chocolate buttons.

They have burned through a vast amount of political capital - and not got a single extra jab from it. Damn it, even generals and bishops can't get vaccinated. It's that much of a failure.

If this was a company, the CEO would now be out the door to try and make it look you were doing SOMETHING to raise the share price off the floor. But of course, this is not a company. It is not a functioning democracy that will force the boss out. It is the EU. A swan which has to be seen to sail serenely through any shit-storm. "No, you are quite mistaken, my feathers are still a pristine white."
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Re President Macron FPT

Or..... the CDC

As I said, the science is disputed. The fact is, no one can be sure. It is a punt, but one that, to me, seems justified when facing a desperate situation with a more virulent variant, and when you REALLY need to stop more mutations (from more infections)

What Macron did was say everyone basically agreed with him, and the delayed 2nd dose was stupid. Which was stupid, of him. And also plainly wrong.
    The CDC and Canada say 6 weeks at the latest, in extremis. As indeed do the BMA and WHO, based upon the maximum dosage interval of 42 days in the Pfizer trials.

We should find out by March how the risk of a 12 week gap works out. Of course in April, a great deal of capacity will be needed for second jabs, as the 12 weeks will be up.
  • Options

If the EU walk this back and don't block UK vaccines, I don't think it will cut through. At the moment, to the casual observer it is a lot of noise about the EU shouting at a drug company about contracts.

If they do block them, then it becomes very emotive and even those that don't follow things closely will notice as they hear Granny has had their jab cancelled.
    I reckon that this EU lunacy will have already cut through to enough of those nerdy enough to do the polls to make a difference in the polling.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014
    Leon said:

Two steps backwards now:

It must be galling for UVDL to realise she is stupider than Bojo!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Re President Macron FPT

Or..... the CDC

The CDC and Canada say 6 weeks at the latest, in extremis. As indeed do the BMA and WHO, based upon the maximum dosage interval of 42 days in the Pfizer trials.

We should find out by March how the risk of a 12 week gap works out. Of course in April, a great deal of capacity will be needed for second jabs, as the 12 weeks will be up.
    If in March we realise its saved thousands of lives and the WHO says that it should be followed worldwide, what would you think about that?
  • Options

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

My reasoning is this.

The CTA is a good reason

Yes they are. It is what makes this whole debacle so sad. Any country in the EU could have chosen to make their own vaccine arrangements and they still can. But they almost all chose to delegate that authority to the EU. Some have now thought better of it - Hungary for example is getting its vaccine from Russia. Ireland could very easily accept vaccines from the UK if it had the political will and the need to do so.
    Can Ireland definitely take a load of vaccine from us without having to redistribute it amongst their EU fellows?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Two steps backwards now:

They have.

(c) pissed off a neighbour and ally who have rights to hundreds of millions of doses - and whose country manufactures many millions of doses a week.

A phonecall from VDL to Boris earlier this week saying "can you help please?" probably would have played out far better than this farce!
    Of course it would - but they had to try to bully - now fuck them.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

If true, amazing that as late as October, Hancock was the only minister thinking there would be a vaccine.

Thatchers interest in the micro-computer industry was laughed at by the Mandarins who knew that the mini-computer market was where things would happen.

I occasionally think wistfully of the Prime 550 I learnt to code FORTRAN on.....
  • Options

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

My reasoning is this.

The CTA is a good reason

Can Ireland definitely take a load of vaccine from us without having to redistribute it amongst their EU fellows?
    Ask Germany

They seem to have their own private order ** solidarity **
  • Options
    One other key point. Thank Christ Cummings/Caine were out. Not nasty counter-briefings. No vitriolic texts to journalists. We just sat back and let the EU implode.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    alex_ said:

Floater said:
    She's presumably right - but i would speculate as usual editorialising. I doubt LauraK has many contacts in EU member states.
    Although she might easily have fellow journalists from member states?

• Options
    BREAKING NEW - Ranks for Members of new US Space Force effective Feb 1. Despite plea by William Shatner and previous US House vote, instead of using ranks based on US Navy, the USSF will use ranks based on US Army.

One reason (aside from inter-service rivalry within US military) is that Pentagon brass made commitment to gender-neutral ranks. Which left out "spaceman" along the lines of "airman" and "seaman".

https://twitter.com/rachelkaras/status/1355212814617608192/photo/1

Here are my alternative suggestions:

Specialist > Space Filler

Corporal > Space Holder

Sergeant > Space Keeper

Lieutenant > Space Cadet

Captain > Space Voyager

Major > Space Commander

Colonel > Space Captain

1-star General > Space Commodore

2-star General > Space General

3-star General > Space Admiral

4-star General > Space Grand Admiral-Generalissimo

5-star General > Space Cosmic Field Marshall
  • Options

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

My reasoning is this.

The CTA is a good reason

Yes.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

My reasoning is this.

The CTA is a good reason

Ask Germany

I'd imagine it's harder for the EU to bully Germany than it is for them to bully Ireland, especially if Ireland were being helped by the UK.
  • Options

Of course, it doesn't make an iota of difference what the British public thinks - the significance the EU has in British politics is now completely zero. Maybe we'll think about re-joining at some distant time in the future, but by then you'll have to look up this week's story about vaccines on Wikipedia, if it even warrants an entry.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Indeed. We always have to bear in mind during the course of these discussions that we are all atypically interested in current events.

A minority of people will pay some attention, for many others it is barely noticed background noise, and still more will be completely clueless. A meaningful fraction of the population won't even know who the Prime Minister is.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

My reasoning is this.

There is no particular reason that the EU will need help from the UK. They have over 2 billion vaccine doses on order too, so should have loads, even without the Sanofi-GSK which didn't work out. I expect though we will get further arguments over delivery targets.

"Contracts have been concluded with AstraZeneca (400 million doses), Sanofi-GSK (300 million doses), Johnson and Johnson (400 million doses ), BioNTech-Pfizer 600 million doses, CureVac (405 million doses) and Moderna (160 million doses). The Commission has concluded exploratory talks with the pharmaceutical company Novavax with a view to purchasing up to 200 million doses and with Valneva with a view to purchase up to 60 million doses."

From: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/qanda_20_2467
    Aside from timing, the biggest problem is the lack of a delivery program. Quite a few countries seem to have thought that they would order vaccines, they show up and then it's just another medicine to be pushed out by national healthcare systems. So they need to build that.
  • Options

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Re President Macron FPT

AZ Foxy.

For now Pfizer recommend three weeks.

The WHO are involved with the UK's 12 week program now and are very interested now in making this the WHO advice worldwide.

It was a very good idea by the UK scientists that should save thousands of lives in the UK, and possibly tens or hundreds of thousands of lives worldwide.
    Like I have repeatedly said, it is a gamble that may well work out, and in effect the UK is involved in a massive trial. Fortunately this virus seems particularly sensitive to vaccines.

Good night all. Busy on ICU redeployment tommorow.
  • Options

BREAKING NEW - Ranks for Members of new US Space Force effective Feb 1. Despite plea by William Shatner and previous US House vote, instead of using ranks based on US Navy, the USSF will use ranks based on US Army.

One reason (aside from inter-service rivalry within US military) is that Pentagon brass made commitment to gender-neutral ranks. Which left out "spaceman" along the lines of "airman" and "seaman".

Corporal > Space Holder

Sergeant > Space Keeper

Lieutenant > Space Cadet

Captain > Space Voyager

Major > Space Commander

Colonel > Space Captain

"Specialist" is Stevens, the one who wears the red top and never comes back from the planet surface....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
  • Options

I do not think this news will have swayed public opinion on the EU greatly, in the overall figures. It has all happened too fast, and has been overshadowed by Covid, and the EU's very public pants-wetting has been quickly followed by a quick if embarrassing change of underwear,

However, people who are politically clued-up will have noticed. Hardcore eurosceptics will feel utterly vindicated, and invigorated, soft europhiles will be thinking Hmm., that's not great, I wonder.....

It will reinforce a rather slow erosion of the Rejoin urge. It was bound to erode anyway, but this will accelerate it.

We ain't ever going back in. EEA is the best Rejoiners should aim for, if they so wish to dedicate their lives.

And now I must abed. Night night, sweet PB, night night.
  • Options

Floater said:

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

My reasoning is this.

The CTA is a good reason

Ask Germany

I'd imagine it's harder for the EU to bully Germany than it is for them to bully Ireland, especially if Ireland were being helped by the UK.
    No, if Eire were being helped by the UK then they can't really be bullied. They can just say they no longer need doses from the EU's scheme and that the Irish doses from the EU scheme can be redistributed to the other 26.
  • Options

Corporal > Space Holder

Sergeant > Space Keeper

Lieutenant > Space Cadet

Captain > Space Voyager

Major > Space Commander

Colonel > Space Captain

No Master Chief?
  • Options
    Do we imagine that the EU have so spectacularly fucked up this time that they will have learnt their lesson and won't ever do it again?

Or do we believe that they're just showing their colours, and will inevitably fuck up, even more spectacularly, again?
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Tbf. If one person in the Cabinet ought to have known about vaccine progress, it would be the Health Secretary.
    I wouldn't really have expected the Minister for Culture, Media and Sport to have been wading through the complex, possibly commercially confidential reports on preliminary trials.
    Although busy work for Williamson might have been less damaging.
  • Options
    One final thing though. Friday was the anniversary of the NEJM papers on the virus. In retrospect, it was pretty much all there from the beginning. "r" rates, airborne spread, person to person spread, case fatality rates and risk factors. Note the date on the tweet.

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1222652819179634688?s=09
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Re President Macron FPT

When he said that the AZ vaccine was “quasi-ineffective” in over 65s?
  • Options
    Playing loudly across Brussels tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taM7k2QhJe8

If I could turn back time
    If I could find a way
    I'd take back those words that've hurt you and you'd stay
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Re President Macron FPT

I was referring to single dose. I don't think there is enough evidence yet to state with certainty how effective AZN is in the elderly.
  • Options

Corporal > Space Holder

Sergeant > Space Keeper

Lieutenant > Space Cadet

Captain > Space Voyager

Major > Space Commander

Colonel > Space Captain

No Master Chief?
    Believe you are referring to "Chief Master Space Keeper" likely abbreviated in the service as "Keepy" or some such.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Re President Macron FPT

Foxy has clearly, and very sadly, lost the plot.

He couches his "arguments" in medical and scientific sounding language, but he's defending anti vax lunatic Macron.

He should henceforth be ignored.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Re President Macron FPT

Heck, yours truly IS a quasi-effective over-65er.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I do not think this news will have swayed public opinion on the EU greatly, in the overall figures. It has all happened too fast, and has been overshadowed by Covid, and the EU's very public pants-wetting has been quickly followed by a quick if embarrassing change of underwear,

However, people who are politically clued-up will have noticed. Hardcore eurosceptics will feel utterly vindicated, and invigorated, soft europhiles will be thinking Hmm., that's not great, I wonder.....

It will reinforce a rather slow erosion of the Rejoin urge. It was bound to erode anyway, but this will accelerate it.

We ain't ever going back in. EEA is the best Rejoiners should aim for, if they so wish to dedicate their lives.

And now I must abed. Night night, sweet PB, night night.
    Well yes. I have been busy so not really following. It is complex and technical. The behaviour of the EU has been so ridiculous that those so inclined probably won't believe it anyways. Such is where we are.
  • Options

Corporal > Space Holder

Sergeant > Space Keeper

Lieutenant > Space Cadet

Captain > Space Voyager

Major > Space Commander

Colonel > Space Captain

No Master Chief?
    Believe you are referring to "Chief Master Space Keeper" likely abbreviated in the service as "Keepy" or some such.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWKIl4uFdUI
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

alex_ said:

Two steps backwards now:

If the threats to block the UK's orders have been rescinded then that's the main thing - provided that the EU's position doesn't change again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next. After recent events one could be forgiven for wondering what on Earth they might come out with next.

If the legal opinions we've all read are anything like accurate then there shouldn't be any issues with the AZ supply either. If it goes to court that should hopefully take long enough not to make any practical difference to Britain's rollout, and in any event the consensus would appear to be that the Commission's case is slim to non-existent.

Working constructively with us will depend on how generous the UK Government is feeling as much as the attitude of the EU. Being put on an export control list for products for which the Commission was prepared to offer exempt access to Syria is a major insult. We will, of course, deal with them because we have to, but for one thing I should imagine that if there was any plan to let the Commission's "ambassador" in London have his red carpet treatment and Zoom call with the Queen, then that's just been cast into today's dumpster fire.
    It seems to me that the list of exemptions/non-exemptions is perhaps the key thing to come out of this.
  • Options

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

My reasoning is this.

The CTA is a good reason

If not we just have them come to NI to get jabbed
  • Options
    Foxy said:

One final thing though. Friday was the anniversary of the NEJM papers on the virus. In retrospect, it was pretty much all there from the beginning. "r" rates, airborne spread, person to person spread, case fatality rates and risk factors. Note the date on the tweet.

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1222652819179634688?s=09

The R0 ended up being much higher than 2.2 didn't it?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

My reasoning is this.

The CTA is a good reason

If not we just have them come to NI to get jabbed
    That could work
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Yes, to look at it from a europhile perspective, this utter shitshow might actually be the vital spur to reform that the EU so urgently needs.
    It might be a spur to reform, but it won't be the reform the EU needs.

The changes that come out of it will be more bureaucracy and more power and control for the EU. That's what the EU means by "reform".

Exactly the opposite of what should happen.
  • Options
    "Anti-lockdown demos in the Netherlands this week have generated many shocking images. But there is one that may yet become iconic.

During a protest against the imposition of a nationwide 9pm curfew in Eindhoven last Sunday, a police truck turned its water cannon on a young woman who was hurled against a concrete wall so hard that she appeared to bounce off it.

She slumped to the ground and was photographed with blood pouring down her face. The woman, later named as Denisa Stastna, sustained a fractured skull and a head wound that required more than 15 stitches."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9203323/As-Holland-boils-no-wonder-EU-trying-distract-world-writes-FLEUR-LAUNSPACH.html
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    valleyboy said:

I assume you are referring to NI. Despite all the nonsense talked there was never a chance that the UK leaving the EU was going to result a fresh round of trouble to any great degree. Remarkably little comment or suggestion was made by ANY of the Northern Ireland parties about a return to trouble, i.e. no peace. Most of the talk was from external parties.

There is no peace process. It ended a long time ago. There is a political process and people particularly on the outside need to get over themselves by this constant referral to the peace process. NI has devolution and and it has a political system, flawed as it is.

• Options
    Western Isles now fully in Tier 4 lockdown, after Barra and Vatersay were previously raised from 3.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-55857072
  • Options

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Re President Macron FPT

Foxy has clearly, and very sadly, lost the plot.

He couches his "arguments" in medical and scientific sounding language, but he's defending anti vax lunatic Macron.

He should henceforth be ignored.
    Come on Fox, you have to be one of Macron's favourite geriatric women to believe that he's worth defending in any way at the moment. You're seriously embarrassing yourself by doing so.
  • Options

Corporal > Space Holder

Sergeant > Space Keeper

Lieutenant > Space Cadet

Captain > Space Voyager

Major > Space Commander

Colonel > Space Captain

No Master Chief?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWKIl4uFdUI
    Among other things, US Space Force has yet to adopt an official song. Here is my suggestion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaPf-MRKITg
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

alex_ said:

Two steps backwards now:

It seems to me that the list of exemptions/non-exemptions is perhaps the key thing to come out of this.
    As I understand the regulation hasn't been rescinded its just vdl saying she didnt mean it. Belgium I believe is already in the process of setting up a regulatory authority
  • Options
    US stocks end the day down 2%.

GameStop ends the day up 68%.
This discussion has been closed.