Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

New Ipsos MORI polling finds nearly half of Brits having favourable view of Biden – politicalbetting

Comments

• OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,053
    eek said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Entirely off-topic, but later this morning I have several back to back video meetings. One is an invite to Teams

*shudder*

Why is it that everything Microsoft is as complex and user-unfriendly as possible? I don't to integrate into your sodding hell, just let me connect to this meeting that someone else is hosting so that I can then go back to using platforms that actually work.

Teams is the worst. Our IT department tried to foist it on us in the first lockdown because it's free but they decided that the subscription cost for Zoom was worth it to avoid the bitching.
    Yet Zoom is a frigging security nightmare while Teams in my world just works - each to their own I suppose.
    I thought that they had improved the security on zoom. For any number of participants feedback is a joy unless everyone is disciplined about the mute button.
    They might have done - but the tricks they used to pull to ensure installation are such that on a corporate level I won't allow that software on the network.

If you need to use Zoom I'll lend you an iPad...
    People I know who use iPad for Zoom meetings seem to have more problems that people who use PC, Mac or laptop.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,505

eek said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Entirely off-topic, but later this morning I have several back to back video meetings. One is an invite to Teams

*shudder*

Why is it that everything Microsoft is as complex and user-unfriendly as possible? I don't to integrate into your sodding hell, just let me connect to this meeting that someone else is hosting so that I can then go back to using platforms that actually work.

Teams is the worst. Our IT department tried to foist it on us in the first lockdown because it's free but they decided that the subscription cost for Zoom was worth it to avoid the bitching.
    Yet Zoom is a frigging security nightmare while Teams in my world just works - each to their own I suppose.
    I thought that they had improved the security on zoom. For any number of participants feedback is a joy unless everyone is disciplined about the mute button.
    They might have done - but the tricks they used to pull to ensure installation are such that on a corporate level I won't allow that software on the network.

If you need to use Zoom I'll lend you an iPad...
    People I know who use iPad for Zoom meetings seem to have more problems that people who use PC, Mac or laptop.
    Yep - but I can't trust their software on any corporate PC....
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Scott_xP said:

kjh said:

Yes this is pathetic. Even it is only for etiquette reasons it is utterly childish if every other country in the world does it. And of course it gets remembered in future negotiations. When an 'i' hasn't been dotted or a 't' crossed and we have made a mistake for something that was obviously intended to be agreed it will come home an bite us.

It should be remembered that people only resort to going back to what the contract says or what was agreed in writing when things go wrong and that is why they are there.

https://twitter.com/BBCJLandale/status/1352183611848613888
    Sounds good to me if Lionel Barber doesn't like it. He's basically a mouthpiece for Macron. I'm not sure other trade blocs have one in the UK and they can't use the single currency argument as that only applies to some of the nations within the EU.
  • GaussianGaussian Posts: 823
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/21/covid-cases-may-have-stopped-falling-major-english-survey-shows

Unfortunately that seems quite plausible. A fall in cases during the quiet time after Christmas, followed by transmission picking up again when some people went back to work and school.
  • DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

kjh said:

Yes this is pathetic. Even it is only for etiquette reasons it is utterly childish if every other country in the world does it. And of course it gets remembered in future negotiations. When an 'i' hasn't been dotted or a 't' crossed and we have made a mistake for something that was obviously intended to be agreed it will come home an bite us.

It should be remembered that people only resort to going back to what the contract says or what was agreed in writing when things go wrong and that is why they are there.

I agree that this is childish and self defeating. We need to smooth the practicalities of the deal done with the EU and that is going to require a lot of cooperation and goodwill. Its always a bit frustrating when people just won't accept that they have won. We need to move on to a more friendly and mature relationship than we had as members (not a particularly high bar). This is not a step in that direction.
    I note with interest the lack of an official British quote on the story, asked to respond the official response quoted is simply a very diplomatic "discussions are still ongoing, it would not be appropriate for us to speculate on the detail of an eventual agreement."

I wonder if there is more to the story (or less to it) than first appears? If the decision had been made to deny diplomatic status then why not say so officially, why say it would be inappropriate to speculate?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,815
    Apparently bustflakes are a thing.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,338

kjh said:

Scott_xP said:

While the Biden Presidency will be about returning to sanity in most respects, it is "woke" and will do dumb shit like this

https://twitter.com/AbigailShrier/status/1352121732723666946

Trans in sport is an impossible problem.

I get frustrated with both sides on the issue of men/women/trans. Just treat people as people. I don't give a toss what you are.

And that works for just about everything, except women's sport.

Except for a few specific sports the physical difference is important and the solution can't be to just treat everyone as equal as otherwise half the population has been removed from competitive sport. Yet that still leaves the trans issue.

I don't know what the answer is.
    Treat everyone as equal and with respect. Trans women should be able to understand that they are to be treated in general as women despite being biologically male, but for the purposes of sport biology matters. So they can be recognised as women but in doing so would become ineligible for sport - in the same way someone doping is. Its not doping, but its the same biological effect.

I don't see why that is unreasonable?
    Whilst I agree that is the solution it may seem pretty unreasonable if you are trans and this is your way to success and fortune.

In differently abled sports there are strict criteria about who can compete for each event. I think women as a category require the same if there is to be anything like a level playing field.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,050
    kjh said:

Scott_xP said:

While the Biden Presidency will be about returning to sanity in most respects, it is "woke" and will do dumb shit like this

I get frustrated with both sides on the issue of men/women/trans. Just treat people as people. I don't give a toss what you are.

Except for a few specific sports the physical difference is important and the solution can't be to just treat everyone as equal as otherwise half the population has been removed from competitive sport. Yet that still leaves the trans issue.

I'm not sure the executive order has the effect claimed.
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

kjh said:

I agree that this is childish and self defeating. We need to smooth the practicalities of the deal done with the EU and that is going to require a lot of cooperation and goodwill. Its always a bit frustrating when people just won't accept that they have won. We need to move on to a more friendly and mature relationship than we had as members (not a particularly high bar). This is not a step in that direction.
    As I said before when talking about what to me is a minor issue regarding room ornaments - we have petulant toddlers in charge of our Government who think everything that goes against them in personal and think retaliating in kind is the best outcome as it looks good in the British newspapers their read.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544
    Gaussian said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/21/covid-cases-may-have-stopped-falling-major-english-survey-shows

Unfortunately that seems quite plausible. A fall in cases during the quiet time after Christmas, followed by transmission picking up again when some people went back to work and school.

Not many people have gone back to school though.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,376
    DavidL said:

kjh said:

Scott_xP said:

Treat everyone as equal and with respect. Trans women should be able to understand that they are to be treated in general as women despite being biologically male, but for the purposes of sport biology matters. So they can be recognised as women but in doing so would become ineligible for sport - in the same way someone doping is. Its not doping, but its the same biological effect.

Whilst I agree that is the solution it may seem pretty unreasonable if you are trans and this is your way to success and fortune.

In differently abled sports there are strict criteria about who can compete for each event. I think women as a category require the same if there is to be anything like a level playing field.
    So we let trans women compete in the Paralympics?

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

kjh said:

I note with interest the lack of an official British quote on the story, asked to respond the official response quoted is simply a very diplomatic "discussions are still ongoing, it would not be appropriate for us to speculate on the detail of an eventual agreement."

I wonder if there is more to the story (or less to it) than first appears? If the decision had been made to deny diplomatic status then why not say so officially, why say it would be inappropriate to speculate?
    Just maybe someone has pointed out how stupid it is. Its a conversation that should never have started.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,574
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

kjh said:

Huh so the French demanding 3 day coronavirus test is going to help relations at the border.?. To hell with the French and any other nation that deliberately makes things more difficult. They need us just as much as we need them.

Nb

Its all tantrum politics which will settle down over time.
    Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

rkrkrk said:

One key thing to remember is Teams share screen function only shares what you told it to originally.

So if you change your screen - everyone will stay watching what you had displayed before.

Zoom follows you round and shows whatever pop-up notifications you have to everyone.

Zoom does that too, in fact teams copied that feature.
    Zoom for me shows pop-ups and shows when I got bored with a longwinded question and started reading pb.cm whilst teams doesn't. As was embarrassingly clear on a recent call. Probably there are settings that give you options.
    Rather glad I retired just as the age of voice conference calls gave way to video conference calls. Voice conferencing gave you so much more freedom to get on with other work stuff (or non-work stuff) during long boring calls.
    A young lady I was working with yesterday had never seen a boardroom spider phone before, didn’t comprehend that we’d ever do conference calls without video!
    Strangely the very first thing that goes into my briefcase (even before the laptop) is the Jabra deskphone. I couldn't live without it but could survive a day or two without the laptop
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,574
    Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

rkrkrk said:

One key thing to remember is Teams share screen function only shares what you told it to originally.

So if you change your screen - everyone will stay watching what you had displayed before.

Zoom follows you round and shows whatever pop-up notifications you have to everyone.

Zoom for me shows pop-ups and shows when I got bored with a longwinded question and started reading pb.cm whilst teams doesn't. As was embarrassingly clear on a recent call. Probably there are settings that give you options.
    Rather glad I retired just as the age of voice conference calls gave way to video conference calls. Voice conferencing gave you so much more freedom to get on with other work stuff (or non-work stuff) during long boring calls.
    A young lady I was working with yesterday had never seen a boardroom spider phone before, didn’t comprehend that we’d ever do conference calls without video!
    I have never even heard of a spider phone...
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

eek said:

I'm sorry but only a complete idiot believes decorations have to sit in the same place all the time. the choice of busts (Martin Luther King Jr, Robert Kennedy, Rosa Parks, Eleanor Roosevelt and Cesar Chavez) seems very appropriate for an 21st century American president.

Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks and Cesar Chavez all point to the work that is still required to make America an equal place.
    All the apologising and the whataboutism doesn't matter. Churchill is a symbol (*THE* symbol) of the transatlantic alliance.

Moving it out - without explaining why or where, and acknowledging the sheer importance of the man in Anglo-American relations - is going to have political implications.
    Wouldn't have been any busts of civil rights leaders if we hadn't put everything on the line to defeat Hitler. Churchill is the ultimate singular embodiment of that. For that reason alone, his bust deserves his place in that company.

Try pursuing a Woke agenda under Nazism. Might have - briefly - discovered slavery wasn't just an historical stain to be cleansed.
    80 year old battles.
    Well, let's give up on fighting fascism, eh? 80 year old battles.....

No lessons for us today there.

Yes, it's a statue of some foreign guy, long dead. But given the symbolism Americans place on their flag, you'd think they might just make a space for the ultimate political symbol of standing up to The Bad Guys.
    On that score Stalin is more deserving of a place on the sideboard than WLSC.
    The other side of his Ledger is, er, difficult. You know, when he became The Bad Guy. What is it - 6 million deaths? Nine million?

At least a bust of Churchill doesn't leave behind a blood-stain on the mahogony....
    Except that Churchill was cheerfully complicit in all that. "If Hitler invaded hell..."
    He didn't say he would become the devil. Stalin did become it.
    Not much becoming left to do by 1941.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,531
    Mr. Sandpit, aye. And it's started to snow.

Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

rkrkrk said:

I have never even heard of a spider phone...
    One of these:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

kjh said:

Huh so the French demanding 3 day coronavirus test is going to help relations at the border.?. To hell with the French and any other nation that deliberately makes things more difficult. They need us just as much as we need them.

Nb

Its all tantrum politics which will settle down over time.
    The French are just being French and we need to respond in kind but one thing that might help would be the good offices of the EU who can explain that this is not what the EU agreed with us and they should grow up. How does this improve those prospects exactly? Stupid.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,707
    rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

Alistair said:

Omnium said:

eek said:
    Not true, but if you like not true things then great.

Fairly easy to see why.
    Why?
    Well, actually I was just about to post an edit to say that the "If they voted like the majority of their age group" is actually fair enough.

But suppose you vote randomly and the elections have been 50/50 then it's unlikely that as a 33 year old you'd have managed to not be with the winning side. It's even more unlikely that a 66 year old would have managed to avoid disappointment.

So it's clear that the claim is questionable. Now consider correlations - this raises the chance that a voter might have been on the winning side hugely if they've always voted one way and that side has always won. Now we know that voters pretty much vote one way, but we certainly know that one side hasn't always won.

So I suspect you will find a lot of 33 year olds that have never voted for the winning side (my guess would be around 40% - just because the Tories have won every election since 2010), but you'll find it quite hard to find 66 year olds that have always been celebrating on election night - I'd be a seller at 5%.
    I think the point is that the cohort overall has been shafted by democracy, not whether any given individual's record exactly matches that of the cohort.
    Of course, this is quite selective. The same is not true for 34-42 year olds.

I’m 34 and have voted in five GEs and two UK-wide referendums. My record is:

2005 - Lost
    2010 - Won
    2011 - Won
    2015 - Lost
    2016 - Won
    2017 - Lost
    2019 - Won

Obviously you can argue that I did win in 2015, but it wasn’t just about Europe it was about Osbrown economics.

Personally I don’t think my generation and the next one have been shafted by democracy. We’ve been shafted by Gordon Brown, George Osborne and the Bank of England.
    I have voted in 10 General Elections and 2 referendums. In only 3 GE's has the party I voted for won (1997, 2001 and 2010) and neither of the referendums. In my mid fifties, I have only had a government that represents me for a fraction of my life, so yes, I understand how the young feel alienated from politics and how it doesn't represent them.
    I'm about the age mentioned. I actually failed to vote in the 2010 election which would have been my only 'win'. That said - be careful what you wish for - the Lib Dem involvement in 2010 certainly didn't meet my expectations.

Otherwise a straight string of losses on referenda and general elections. I've never voted for a winning candidate either except I suppose at European elections. Hopefully it will just make the victory sweeter.

Plus - I get (vicarious?) pleasure from US elections - where the Republican alternative is generally much worse than the Conservative option here. Seeing Obama win in 2008 was great.
    I have voted in 11 GE, starting with 1979, and I have never voted for the winner, at National or Local level, sadly. When you support a 3rd Party it's par for the course, unless you're in Scotland obvs. In the lack of a 3rd Party in the US I would support the Dems if I was allowed.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited January 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

eek said:

I'm sorry but only a complete idiot believes decorations have to sit in the same place all the time. the choice of busts (Martin Luther King Jr, Robert Kennedy, Rosa Parks, Eleanor Roosevelt and Cesar Chavez) seems very appropriate for an 21st century American president.

Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks and Cesar Chavez all point to the work that is still required to make America an equal place.
    All the apologising and the whataboutism doesn't matter. Churchill is a symbol (*THE* symbol) of the transatlantic alliance.

Moving it out - without explaining why or where, and acknowledging the sheer importance of the man in Anglo-American relations - is going to have political implications.
    Wouldn't have been any busts of civil rights leaders if we hadn't put everything on the line to defeat Hitler. Churchill is the ultimate singular embodiment of that. For that reason alone, his bust deserves his place in that company.

Try pursuing a Woke agenda under Nazism. Might have - briefly - discovered slavery wasn't just an historical stain to be cleansed.
    80 year old battles.

Yes, it's a statue of some foreign guy, long dead. But given the symbolism Americans place on their flag, you'd think they might just make a space for the ultimate political symbol of standing up to The Bad Guys.
    The other side of his Ledger is, er, difficult. You know, when he became The Bad Guy. What is it - 6 million deaths? Nine million?

At least a bust of Churchill doesn't leave behind a blood-stain on the mahogony....
    Except that Churchill was cheerfully complicit in all that. "If Hitler invaded hell..."
    That was the point of his quote. He was saying he'd make a favourable remark about the devil (Stalin) if he was fighting Hitler.

The moment the war ended though, Churchill recognised that Stalin was going to be our next long-term opponent. He knew what Stalin was, but fight one devil at a time. Would we have defeated Hitler had we not worked with the Russians? Possibly not.
    eek said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

kjh said:

As I said before when talking about what to me is a minor issue regarding room ornaments - we have petulant toddlers in charge of our Government who think everything that goes against them in personal and think retaliating in kind is the best outcome as it looks good in the British newspapers their read.
    It's the inability to connect cause and effect that gets me. Can nobody see that a low-key, borderline, hardly racist at all bit of racism from the Mayor of London on the subject of the Churchill bust in 2009 might have a tiny bit of bearing on the location of the bust in 2021?
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

Scott_xP said:

Why not? I am pretty sure that the optics would not appeal (being trans is not a disability) but it would be an option.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,379
    eek said:

Strangely the very first thing that goes into my briefcase (even before the laptop) is the Jabra deskphone. I couldn't live without it but could survive a day or two without the laptop

Just replaced my Jabra with a BeyerDynamic Phonum. It's amazing

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

eek said:

80 year old battles.

That was the point of his quote. He was saying he'd make a favourable remark about the devil (Stalin) if he was fighting Hitler.

The moment the war ended though, Churchill recognised that Stalin was going to be our next long-term opponent. He knew what Stalin was, but fight one devil at a time. Would we have defeated Hitler had we not worked with the Russians? Possibly not.
    Thanks, I already possess a copy of the Ladybird Book of World History.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,520

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

Alistair said:

Omnium said:

eek said:
    Not true, but if you like not true things then great.

Fairly easy to see why.
    Why?
    Well, actually I was just about to post an edit to say that the "If they voted like the majority of their age group" is actually fair enough.

But suppose you vote randomly and the elections have been 50/50 then it's unlikely that as a 33 year old you'd have managed to not be with the winning side. It's even more unlikely that a 66 year old would have managed to avoid disappointment.

So it's clear that the claim is questionable. Now consider correlations - this raises the chance that a voter might have been on the winning side hugely if they've always voted one way and that side has always won. Now we know that voters pretty much vote one way, but we certainly know that one side hasn't always won.

So I suspect you will find a lot of 33 year olds that have never voted for the winning side (my guess would be around 40% - just because the Tories have won every election since 2010), but you'll find it quite hard to find 66 year olds that have always been celebrating on election night - I'd be a seller at 5%.
    I think the point is that the cohort overall has been shafted by democracy, not whether any given individual's record exactly matches that of the cohort.
    Of course, this is quite selective. The same is not true for 34-42 year olds.

I’m 34 and have voted in five GEs and two UK-wide referendums. My record is:

2005 - Lost
    2010 - Won
    2011 - Won
    2015 - Lost
    2016 - Won
    2017 - Lost
    2019 - Won

Obviously you can argue that I did win in 2015, but it wasn’t just about Europe it was about Osbrown economics.

Personally I don’t think my generation and the next one have been shafted by democracy. We’ve been shafted by Gordon Brown, George Osborne and the Bank of England.
    I have voted in 10 General Elections and 2 referendums. In only 3 GE's has the party I voted for won (1997, 2001 and 2010) and neither of the referendums. In my mid fifties, I have only had a government that represents me for a fraction of my life, so yes, I understand how the young feel alienated from politics and how it doesn't represent them.
    I'm about the age mentioned. I actually failed to vote in the 2010 election which would have been my only 'win'. That said - be careful what you wish for - the Lib Dem involvement in 2010 certainly didn't meet my expectations.

Otherwise a straight string of losses on referenda and general elections. I've never voted for a winning candidate either except I suppose at European elections. Hopefully it will just make the victory sweeter.

Plus - I get (vicarious?) pleasure from US elections - where the Republican alternative is generally much worse than the Conservative option here. Seeing Obama win in 2008 was great.
    I have voted in 11 GE, starting with 1979, and I have never voted for the winner, at National or Local level, sadly. When you support a 3rd Party it's par for the course, unless you're in Scotland obvs. In the lack of a 3rd Party in the US I would support the Dems if I was allowed.
    Feb 74 is my first election and no wins, but I am sure there will be someone on here who can beat that.

I have had the joy of winning though by helping elsewhere many times.
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

kjh said:

Just maybe someone has pointed out how stupid it is. Its a conversation that should never have started.
    Perhaps. Perhaps its a negotiating ploy?

"Oh you want friendly relations and diplomatic status, let's see if that can be arranged. Oh, while we're talking we've identified these teething issues with the new trade agreement - in this spirit of friendly and diplomatic relations would you care to look into these for us while we look into your status?"

No evidence of that, just speculation.
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

Scott_xP said:

Why not? I am pretty sure that the optics would not appeal (being trans is not a disability) but it would be an option.
    It’s possibly the easiest way to resolve the issue, giving them their own category. As you say, it’s all in the language: “differently-bodied”?
    eek said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

kjh said:

I think that is an overstatement and an overgeneralisation. But there are elements to whom that is a fair critique.
  • IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

eek said:

80 year old battles.

Then you shouldn't have made such an ignorant remark as "cheerfully complicit". Fighting Hitler wasn't something done cheerfully, it was something that had to be done.
  • Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

President Biden is to Trump as Microsoft Teams is to Skype for Business. Be thankful that you missed out on the latter.

Entirely backwards.

S4B worked. Really well. And Teams just doesn't.

Still better than Webex though
    Teams is the god of online meetings. So simple, can't think of a failing OTTOMH.
    The issue is that getting Teams to work well, really requires your company to sign up for the whole Microsoft Cloud ‘ecosystem’. If you’re only half in, which is the vast majority of SMEs, it can be a total nightmare.
    At my previous SME we were 100% Microsoft. Teams still didn't function - we quickly switched to Zoom. In my current Consulting job I've gone 100% Google so either use Google Meet or Zoom. Have been invited into Webex a couple of times but it crashes a lot so they've ditched that. "Internal" meetings between Bucharest / Medias / Teesside are either Zoom or WhatsApp!

Problem I have with Microsoft is an account. It absolutely hates the "free" account you can sign up for and endlessly tries to log itself into things I don't have and don't use then throws up errors. Errors are "please consult your IT administrator" (me), or refer it to our team.

Or, use Zoom! Or Meet! Which work first time every time. On every platform.

Fishing said:

It's quite clear the Democrats have been wholly captured by the Wokeists; this will be the most toe-curlingly Woke and wanky US administration there has ever been.

It will do nothing to solve America's divisions or heal them, except exacerbate them further. The only question is whether the Republicans can capitalise on it in November 2022, or whether their own fratricidal civil war will consume them, giving more space to the nutters in the Dems.

Sad.

I agree. A "diverse" society is generally a divided one. It needs an overwhelming, external enemy to unite, which America doesn't really have at the moment.
    Sorry, but that's nonsense isn't it? All modern western societies are pretty diverse - are you saying that they need an 'overwhelming, external enemy to unite'? Who should this enemy be? If anything, those societies that are less diverse (e.g. Russia, Iran etc.) seem to be more accomplished at finding external enemies.
    Divided societies are often the result of politicians exploiting grievances and spreading division. Look at the US. The black population has lived there for four hundred years, but the reason the US is still racially divided is that for most of that period they were by law locked out of mainstream society (and even now face less obvious barriers and the bitter legacy of that period). Even marrying across the racial divide was illegal in many states until the 1960s, FFS. Without those centuries of systemic institutional racism the US would probably be a happy united country of various shades of brown people by now.

Divided societies are often the result of politicians exploiting grievances and spreading division. Look at the US. The black population has lived there for four hundred years, but the reason the US is still racially divided is that for most of that period they were by law locked out of mainstream society (and even now face less obvious barriers and the bitter legacy of that period). Even marrying across the racial divide was illegal in many states until the 1960s, FFS. Without those centuries of systemic institutional racism the US would probably be a happy united country of various shades of brown people by now.

Did you watch Amanda Gorman's performance yesterday?

It was sublime, but I couldn't help thinking what about the Native Americans?

There is no shortage of racial strife, prejudice and hurt in America, but that portion of it is still almost entirely absent.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,763
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

eek said:

80 year old battles.

Unread.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,519

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

President Biden is to Trump as Microsoft Teams is to Skype for Business. Be thankful that you missed out on the latter.

Entirely backwards.

S4B worked. Really well. And Teams just doesn't.

Still better than Webex though
    Teams is the god of online meetings. So simple, can't think of a failing OTTOMH.
    The issue is that getting Teams to work well, really requires your company to sign up for the whole Microsoft Cloud ‘ecosystem’. If you’re only half in, which is the vast majority of SMEs, it can be a total nightmare.
    At my previous SME we were 100% Microsoft. Teams still didn't function - we quickly switched to Zoom. In my current Consulting job I've gone 100% Google so either use Google Meet or Zoom. Have been invited into Webex a couple of times but it crashes a lot so they've ditched that. "Internal" meetings between Bucharest / Medias / Teesside are either Zoom or WhatsApp!

Problem I have with Microsoft is an account. It absolutely hates the "free" account you can sign up for and endlessly tries to log itself into things I don't have and don't use then throws up errors. Errors are "please consult your IT administrator" (me), or refer it to our team.

Or, use Zoom! Or Meet! Which work first time every time. On every platform.
    We have a simple policy which employs best of breed usage of these.

We use Whatevertheclientwants.
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    PB Brains Trust.

Our family haven't gone on holiday since 2019.
    We'd like to book somewhere for May half term because £££.
    Assuming we are back in tiers by then can we holiday somewhere in the same tier and region? In T3 it was advised against but was it illegal?
    DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

kjh said:

I think that is an overstatement and an overgeneralisation. But there are elements to whom that is a fair critique.
    Sadly the most obvious person to whom that critique is accurate is our PM...
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

eek said:

By means of reciprocation, do we have a small statuette of FDR in Number 10?

Churchill's victory over the Axis Powers would have been more difficult without his "junior wingman".
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,262
    Nigelb said:

Has Churchill gone again from the White House?

He's in and out of there like nobody's business!
  • On the issue of the EU mission having diplomatic status it is interesting that this would require a change of law. The status of diplomats is covered by the 1964 Diplomatic Privileges Act and this specifically refers only to representatives of another state. That is because it is tied to the the adoption of the Vienna Convention which again only refers to states, not to organisations. It is the same reason why the EU is not covered by the Convention on Treaties. It is not a state.

Now it seems the simplest thing would be for the Government to amend the 1964 Act - though I don't know how long that would take and if it would need Parliamentary approval.

But that is a political decision.
  • MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    I don't think the EU should have ambassadorial status and I don't think it's petty. For good or ill we did Brexit and we marked ourselves out as a nation state. We live with that and by that. The EU should be no exception.

If you believe in Brexit, which I didn't, then it's consistent and right.
    Scott_xP said:

There is no shortage of racial strife, prejudice and hurt in America, but that portion of it is still almost entirely absent.
    Yup. The US has a pretty bloody, violent and awful history. The native Americans' suffering has been terrible. Less well documented than that of the African Americans perhaps because they were a nuisance to the white population rather than property. And most of their deaths came from disease. I have read that one of the motivating factors behind the creation of the US was to allow the local white settlers more leeway to steal native land than the Crown was willing to give them.
    Freggles said:

PB Brains Trust.

Assuming we are back in tiers by then can we holiday somewhere in the same tier and region? In T3 it was advised against but was it illegal?

Yes it was illegal in tier 3.

But I suspect if we get to tier 3 lots of people will do likewise.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,385

It's quite clear the Democrats have been wholly captured by the Wokeists; this will be the most toe-curlingly Woke and wanky US administration there has ever been.

It will do nothing to solve America's divisions or heal them, except exacerbate them further. The only question is whether the Republicans can capitalise on it in November 2022, or whether their own fratricidal civil war will consume them, giving more space to the nutters in the Dems.

Sad.

+1

I don't think the EU should have ambassadorial status and I don't think it's petty. For good or ill we did Brexit and we marked ourselves out as a nation state. We live with that and by that. The EU should be no exception.

https://twitter.com/ottocrat/status/1352195106837770240
    Scott_xP said:

Biden picked the first ever Native American cabinet secretary.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55356373

And this was a pretty significant gesture on his first afternoon in office:
    https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/utah-politicians-oppose-bidens-executive-order-on-bears-ears-grand-staircase

Morning, all!

Hopefully, we've seen the last of Trump. But who knows, he may go back to being a reality TV "personality"!

In other news, Mum got her first dose of the AZ vaccine last night, though the GP surgery only gave her five hours' notice. Anyway, it was all over in about 5 minutes. Three months' wait for the second dose though.

Great news.

Do you happen to know if she was on the short notice standby? I've a friend who has put herself down for it i.e. a call up if someone can't make their appointment slot. Or was the short notice just lack of planning by the surgery?
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Replaced by Truman, who set up NATO and funded the reconstruction of postwar Europe, if we're looking for symbols.
    Selebian said:

eek said:

That's a bit of a stretch - without Churchill/UK the US would be under Nazi rule?

Does Downing Street hold a bust/portrait of Roosevelt - or Stalin? Serious question - I don't know but I imagine the former is possible but the latter rather unlikely. Without them we very likely would have been under Nazi rule.
    Have you not watched the Man in the High Castle?

If the UK fell in 1940, the question then becomes what would Hitler have done about Russia? Without the distraction of a western front, would Hitler have lost in Russia? And if the Third Reich ultimately stretched from Atlantic to Pacific - what would have been Hitler's ambitions after that? And America's capacity to resist it? If the British Empire had been subsumed into a greater Germany and Japan had been up for it, would America have stood alone?

An invason of the US would have been a stretch. But then the question becomes about intercontinental rockets and nuclear weapons. Could Germany have got them first, if there was essentially no ongoing wars to distract them? A demonstration of the power of an atomic bomb dropped on Washington DC?

Thankfully, never got tested out. Largely thanks to a guy whose bust is no longer on prominent display in the White House, that first domino did not fall...
    Scott_xP said:

I'm not really sure how slapping someone else's tweet engages with my point as a valid reply? Especially as it doesn't answer my point.

We don't recognise the EU as a nation state and we don't believe in superstates, which was half the argument of Brexit when you stop and think about it.

So Johnson & co. are absolutely doing the right thing and should stick to it.

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

It would be interesting to see what other busts, paintings etc Biden has removed...

Andrew Trail of Tears Jackson, for one.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,180

Scott_xP said:

I'm not really sure how slapping someone else's tweet engages with my point as a valid reply? Especially as it doesn't answer my point.

We don't recognise the EU as a nation state and we don't believe in superstates, which was half the argument of Brexit when you stop and think about it.

So Johnson & co. are absolutely doing the right thing and should stick to it.
    Tweetbots don't do original thought.
  • Can anyone of the snowflakes on here that get triggered by statues busts tell me if Boris Johnson has a bust of FDR in Downing Street, if not why not?

Why isn't the PM honouring the special relationship?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,603
    Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

The fact that every other country in the entire world does differently ought to be a clue. At the least, our government knew that denying this status would create a storm, which presumably is the object.

https://twitter.com/CER_IanBond/status/1352154880807460864
    Not me, though.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    The UK has done 43% of the total UK + EU vaccinations to date - next closest is Germany. In terms of jabs/100 the UK is more than double the next nearest (Malta/Denmark) and triple the fastest big country (Spain).

https://www.politico.eu/coronavirus-in-europe/

The second bit is the important one.

We had no problem with UK staff acting as EU ambassadors. Until now.
    edited January 2021
  • Scott_xP said:

Actually that tweet is wrong. Britain consistently opposed the status of the EEAS as it is known and blocked it having full diplomatic status on organisations such as the UN and OSCE.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    While I like the idea of poems being read at important occasions (and unimportant ones, come to that), I thought Amanda Gorman's poem yesterday was drivel. Though kudos to her for her self-possession while reciting it.

Biden's speech was also a touch too long - though probably necessary in the circumstances.

Rather than obsessing about busts, it's worth noting that he referenced Magna Carta in it, thus showing that he understands rather more about the origins of US law and democracy than those petty-minded politicians here worrying about busts. Perhaps the next time a Tory politician mentions Churchill's bust a US politician might remind him of Churchill's decision not to go to Roosevelt's funeral. That might shut them up.

It would be nice if British politicians had more regard for the principles of Magna Carta. The current government - and previous ones as well - have embarked on a deliberate policy of neglect and downgrading of our criminal justice system, with the inevitable consequences as reported a couple of days ago, and largely ignored. People are having to wait 3 - 4 years for trials.
    Instead, we've reached the ludicrous Ruritanian position where court buildings which have been sold off are now being refurbished so that they can be used as courtrooms in legal dramas filmed by Netflix but not as actual real courtrooms for real trial involving real people in the U.K.

Utterly shameful.
    Freggles said:

PB Brains Trust.

Can but should. Atm establishments that you might want to go to will either be shut or open to key workers only. That will hopefully have improved by May but you will probably still not have had your jab and neither will those serving you. Personally, I am aiming for a break in October.
  • Scott_xP said:

Yes we did. We had a long record of opposing EU missions having full diplomatic status whilst we were in the EU.
  • Yay, I love judicial reviews, this could be a blockbuster.

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1352167319125045249

We had a long record of opposing EU missions having full diplomatic status whilst we were in the EU.

While filling those EU diplomatic posts with UK staff. Which was the point.
  • GaussianGaussian Posts: 823

Gaussian said:

Not many people have gone back to school though.
    But quite possibly enough to push R back up around 1. There were reports about some schools being surprisingly full due to looser key worker criteria than last March.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,184

Sad.

I think you've been wholly captured by anti-wokeism. Did you watch yesterday? Lots of humility and decency on show, and a good celebration of modern, diverse USA. Biden will do what he says, and govern for all decent Americans. But yes, he won't pander to the EDL equivalents or neo-fascists of the far right. Because they're not decent.

Like our government, you're obsessed by symbols/statues. But it's not substance. Let me give you an example. While Jenrick puts forward legislation on statues, he does sweet FA to tackle real issues of substance, For example, tens of thousands of people are trapped in buildings with cladding that needs removing; they can't sell, and many face huge bills. Following Grenfell, how much progress has been made in resolving this? Not a lot.

Your priorities are all wrong.
    Yes, I watched yesterday. I thought it was an acceptable speech, but not an especially historically memorable one; it just looks like that right now because everyone is so relieved he's not Trump.

Your comparison is an entirely false one. Opposition to "Wokeism" ≠ support for the EDL or neo-fascists, and it's offensive to say it does. I explored the difference on here last night - you should read what I said.

Governments, can and do, enact hundreds of policies across dozens of policy areas all at once, and are both capable of doing so and expected to do it. As it happens, I think the Government should make the relief of leaseholders trapped in flats by poor cladding a high priority and get it fixed with a Government guarantee. However, I also think he should address politically-motivated cultural desecration as well. What people mean by "he's got his priorities all wrong" is "we'd prefer if he didn't address this issue" There's no reason Robert Paden Powell, Redvers Buller, Oliver Cromwell, or Admiral Nelson, should be removed without due democratic process just so councillors can signal their virtue and appease their fanatical base. This was a gap in the law and urgently needed addressing before many more irrevocably came down.

My priorities are not wrong. I also want a united, less divided society. Symbols matter, and rather than negatively tearing things down and dividing people we should be adding to them with new symbols that say things about us today, and celebrate the best of us.

Your blindness to how both sides are aggravating it at present with their language and action is a huge part of the problem.

You'd be well-advised to be more reflective and balanced in your posts on the matter, in future.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,050
    I don't have a bust of Churchill. Does that mean I have effectively declared war on Britain?
    Nigelb said:

Brexit dividend...

We send £350m a week to the EU (sic)

Let's give it to Elton John instead.

Coming to a bus near you...
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216

Now it seems the simplest thing would be for the Government to amend the 1964 Act - though I don't know how long that would take and if it would need Parliamentary approval.

Which will take Parliamentary time (and quite likely capital), which makes me wonder if the FCDO were saying to the EU "softly softly catches monkey" and the EU had a hissy fit and went running to the BBC, overplaying their hand.
    Nigelb said:
    That £350 million a week is going to have to develop a 5 fishes / 2 loaves quality, given all the demands being placed on it.
  • Nigelb said:
    We should spend that money on the NHS.
  • Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:
    And the USA still haven’t had a female head of state, while we have had a queen for more than 50% of its existence.
    I'm a monarchist and all, but I don't think we get credit for gender balance when we the public have no say in the matter, unless we actively voted for people who would rule out female monarchs.
    Though not too long ago Parliament changed the Law of Succession, so that oldest child of monarch inherits regardless of gender, which over time should increase the female percentage.

Think we in US should get SOME credit for
    >> electing woman as Speaker of US House and thus third in line of presidential succession
    >> giving majority of popular vote to a woman for President, in 2016
    >> giving popular majority AND electing woman as Vice President in 2020

Though I think Biden will run for re-election in 2024, and win, certainly Kamala Harris is a hot prospect, as is Nicky Haley for the Republicans. Just to mention two obvious potential POTUS of the not-so-distant future.
    2016: Woman prevented from becoming president by bonkers electoral system
    2017: Woman saved from losing premiership by bonkers electoral system

When it comes to giving credit for voting for women (a dubious concept in its own right), I'm not sure recent history shows the UK in as positive light as some might think.
    Only one major party in the UK haven’t had at least one female leader in the past decade I think (and that one hasn’t had one yet). Even they have if we count acting leaders.
    Yes, all true, but tell me how many people elected those leaders?
    Tens of thousands of times more people than elected Kamala Harris to her position as VP nominee.
    Really? You think tens of thousands of people voted for Theresa May to become Conservative leader? Or Nicola Sturgeon to become SNP leader? Or Thatcher? Or Foster?
    You can have Jo Swinson, that one does apply.
  • Scott_xP said:

We had a long record of opposing EU missions having full diplomatic status whilst we were in the EU.

EEAS jobs as with all other EU civil service positions are not decided by the UK. They are recruited directly by the EU just like any other job.

Are you suggesting we should have been preventing UK citizens from seeking employment with the EU which was their right?

Scott_xP said:

Actually that tweet is wrong. Britain consistently opposed the status of the EEAS as it is known and blocked it having full diplomatic status on organisations such as the UN and OSCE.
    Exactly.

I think it's consistent and right that following Brexit we take this decision. I hope Boris sticks to his guns on it, although I'm doubtful he will.

It's important that we start as we mean to go on. Our dealings as an independent country vaguely attached by land to Europe but with many historic and cultural ties beyond need to be on the correct footing from the outset. We'll deal with nations at an ambassadorial level not self-appointed superstates.

I was a Remainer but the EU's worst trait has been its attempt to shift from economic unity to political unity. Vive la difference!

Nigelb said:
    And it's not just the music industry but all the performing arts - theatre companies are as affected as musicians.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,443

Yay, I love judicial reviews, this could be a blockbuster.

Could Pfizer co-file as a friend of the court ?

eek said:

By means of reciprocation, do we have a small statuette of FDR in Number 10?

Churchill's victory over the Axis Powers would have been more difficult without his "junior wingman".
    I don't know, is the answer. Too busy to make detailed enquiries today. Here's the generic:

"Number 10 is filled with fine paintings, sculptures, busts and furniture. Only a few are permanent features. Most are on loan. About half belong to the Government Art Collection. The remainder are on loan from private collectors and from public galleries such as the National Portrait Gallery, the Tate Gallery, the Victoria and Albert Museum and the National Gallery."

Scott_xP said:

Yup. The US has a pretty bloody, violent and awful history. The native Americans' suffering has been terrible. Less well documented than that of the African Americans perhaps because they were a nuisance to the white population rather than property. And most of their deaths came from disease. I have read that one of the motivating factors behind the creation of the US was to allow the local white settlers more leeway to steal native land than the Crown was willing to give them.
    A relevant read, recommended:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LYPZZLS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Are you suggesting we should have been preventing UK citizens from seeking employment with the EU which was their right?

No

Another opportunity denied by Brexit.
    Roger said:

Sad.

If you've been watching what the alternative to the Wokeists look like-grotesques with bazooka's slung over their shoulders-you might conclude you're pointing your venom in the wrong direction.

Or more disturbingly maybe not.
    I am not a supporter of the modern Democratic Party, or the current Trumpite Republican Party.

Just because I think the latter is odious doesn't mean I think the former is automatically virtuous, nor that they're incapable of contributing further to the divisions that helped lead to the rise of Trump in the first place.

Like lots of these discussions, however, any balance is presumed to be taking sides or some secret "masked" support for the other side.

I think it's pathetic, and we if want to descend further into the sewer of a totally split and divided society (or worse) we're going exactly the right way about it.

Scott_xP said:

Yes we did. We had a long record of opposing EU missions having full diplomatic status whilst we were in the EU.
    Yes, even Blair and Brown opposed it within the Lisbon Treaty despite signing up for it.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,382

Selebian said:

eek said:

That's a bit of a stretch - without Churchill/UK the US would be under Nazi rule?

Does Downing Street hold a bust/portrait of Roosevelt - or Stalin? Serious question - I don't know but I imagine the former is possible but the latter rather unlikely. Without them we very likely would have been under Nazi rule.
    Have you not watched the Man in the High Castle?

If the UK fell in 1940, the question then becomes what would Hitler have done about Russia? Without the distraction of a western front, would Hitler have lost in Russia? And if the Third Reich ultimately stretched from Atlantic to Pacific - what would have been Hitler's ambitions after that? And America's capacity to resist it? If the British Empire had been subsumed into a greater Germany and Japan had been up for it, would America have stood alone?

An invason of the US would have been a stretch. But then the question becomes about intercontinental rockets and nuclear weapons. Could Germany have got them first, if there was essentially no ongoing wars to distract them? A demonstration of the power of an atomic bomb dropped on Washington DC?

Thankfully, never got tested out. Largely thanks to a guy whose bust is no longer on prominent display in the White House, that first domino did not fall...
    So, we agree it's a stretch?

I haven't seen the TV adaptation, but have read the book. In the book FDR is absent and it's a much weaker US when WW2 comes.

But we move away from the point - is it an affront to the UK to remove Churchill (who has come and gone before) and have the bust of an American instead? If it is, then why is it not an affront to the US that we don't have a bust/portrait of FDR in Downing Street? Unless we do, of course?
    Scott_xP said:

Thanks Scott. Refreshing to agree with you again on something.
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:
    And it's not just the music industry but all the performing arts - theatre companies are as affected as musicians.
    It will be quite some time before the full costs and benefits of the Brexit deal can fully be assessed, but the early signs are pretty dismal.
  • Pulpstar said:

Yay, I love judicial reviews, this could be a blockbuster.

Could Pfizer co-file as a friend of the court ?
    More likely to be asked to give evidence.

It's important that we start as we mean to go on. Our dealings as an independent country vaguely attached by land to Europe but with many historic and cultural ties beyond need to be on the correct footing from the outset. We'll deal with nations at an ambassadorial level not self-appointed superstates.

We are the only Country to do this.

Start as we mean to go on, as an International outlier, a denier of reality, obstinate and untrustworthy.

Brexit in a nutshell.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271

Sad.

I think you've been wholly captured by anti-wokeism. Did you watch yesterday? Lots of humility and decency on show, and a good celebration of modern, diverse USA. Biden will do what he says, and govern for all decent Americans. But yes, he won't pander to the EDL equivalents or neo-fascists of the far right. Because they're not decent.

Like our government, you're obsessed by symbols/statues. But it's not substance. Let me give you an example. While Jenrick puts forward legislation on statues, he does sweet FA to tackle real issues of substance, For example, tens of thousands of people are trapped in buildings with cladding that needs removing; they can't sell, and many face huge bills. Following Grenfell, how much progress has been made in resolving this? Not a lot.

Yes, I watched yesterday. I thought it was an acceptable speech, but not an especially historically memorable one; it just looks like that right now because everyone is so relieved he's not Trump.

Your comparison is an entirely false one. Opposition to "Wokeism" ≠ support for the EDL or neo-fascists, and it's offensive to say it does. I explored the difference on here last night - you should read what I said.

Governments, can and do, enact hundreds of policies across dozens of policy areas all at once, and are both capable of doing so and expected to do it. As it happens, I think the Government should make the relief of leaseholders trapped in flats by poor cladding a high priority and get it fixed with a Government guarantee. However, I also think he should address politically-motivated cultural desecration as well. What people mean by "he's got his priorities all wrong" is "we'd prefer if he didn't address this issue" There's no reason Robert Paden Powell, Redvers Buller, Oliver Cromwell, or Admiral Nelson, should be removed without due democratic process just so councillors can signal their virtue and appease their fanatical base. This was a gap in the law and urgently needed addressing before many more irrevocably came down.

My priorities are not wrong. I also want a united, less divided society. Symbols matter, and rather than negatively tearing things down and dividing people we should be adding to them with new symbols that say things about us today, and celebrate the best of us.

Your blindness to how both sides are aggravating it at present with their language and action is a huge part of the problem.

You'd be well-advised to be more reflective and balanced in your posts on the matter, in future.
    Wow, what a patronising, and ironic, last sentence.
    Scott_xP said:

There was a legal requirement under proportional representation of each nation under EU rules. Don't do original thought, you're better off sticking to copying other people.
    edited January 2021

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

eek said:

80 year old battles.

They would have been fighting the Germans anyway (although in the alternative history where they'd left the USSR alone, we may not have come out so well)

More interesting is the difference the help we gave made to them, both the arctic convoys and intelligence from the ultra decrypts.

eek said:

Sad.

What are you basing that on so far?
    All the evidence from the campaign, the speeches, the rhetoric, the videos, the ads, what Biden and Kamala have said and how they've said it. Dems in the House and Senate.. everything.

Look, I'm pleased Trump is good too. He was an ogre, bigot, and demagogue, and needed to be evicted, but let's not deify this new administration - please.

There is a lot I think they will get badly wrong, and I am absolutely going to call them out on it.

The desire for healing and unity needs to be reflected by both the right language, actions and humility.
    Listen pal, your lot (the right) voted to put a bigotted ogre in the White House.

I appreciate it must be a disappointment for you that the candidate of the left is a thoughtful decent person but that's the way it is (indeed, that's the way it usually is).

If all you are going to be doing for the next four years is ranting about perceieved slurs from the selection of busts etc. you are going to get very boring.
    "Your lot".

Jesus.

Sad.

@Casino_Royale wrote a very good post yesterday on woke-ism: the difference between being awake to and dealing with oppression and its consequences vs a somewhat narcissistic insistence on symbolic gesture and telling people what to think unaccompanied by any effective action to help people.
This discussion has been closed.