Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the Miliband ratings it is the views of the 2010 LD to L

SystemSystem Posts: 11,711
edited June 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the Miliband ratings it is the views of the 2010 LD to LAB switchers that matter most

One of the big factors that makes analysing this election so different from the past is the amount of data in the public domain from which we can measure significant sub-groups – like those 2010 LD voters who have switched to LAB.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First
  • Options
    Maybe it's on account of the early hour, but I'm finding it difficult to get my head around the particular relevance or importance of the centre or right hand columns in Mike's bar chart.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited June 2014
    The 2010 Lib Dem switchers are indulging in the idealistic zealotry of the newly converted. The renunciation of Clegg and their newly practised worship of Miliband is self-justificatory pleading inspired purely by guilt.

The consequences of casting a vote for Ed rather than mouthing a passing opinion on him will soon act as a cold slap about their chops. Expect them to either hide under a blanket or return to the yellow sheepfold come election day.

The idea that this group of preening apostates will have any material impact on the general election is utterly absurd. Attaching them to importance is the equivalent of giving credibility to the 2010 Con to Kipper converts who laud the rise of Farage as some kind of second messianic coming.

These are the truths that no polling numbers can reveal.
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516

Maybe it's on account of the early hour, but I'm finding it difficult to get my head around the particular relevance or importance of the centre or right hand columns in Mike's bar chart.

Maybe it is the unsurprising thought that political activists are actually interested in politics. LibDems have traditionally been involved as that has been their reason for being.

Just because the leadership has taken their party from them will not stop them from taking revenge. The fun will start after the GE when the LibDems labour voters retake their party back and rejoin. By then it will be too late for DC and NC with Miliband in No 10.

• Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited June 2014
    "Uruguay boss Oscar Tabarez says Luis Suarez is coping well after surgery, but accepts that the striker may not be able to reproduce his stunning Premier League form."

When I saw this in today's Daily Mail, the thought occurred to me that perhaps Suarez is set to become Liverpool's Torres Mk 2, should he lose a yard of pace as a result of his recent surgery. Then I realised that the Uraguayan manager was only referring to his anticipated level of performance in the current World Cup .... at least I think that's what he meant.

Reading between the lines, if I were a betting man, I'd not expect him to play against England tonight.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,480

"Uruguay boss Oscar Tabarez says Luis Suarez is coping well after surgery, but accepts that the striker may not be able to reproduce his stunning Premier League form."

When I saw this in today's Daily Mail, the thought occurred to me that perhaps Suarez is set to become Liverpool's Torres Mk 2, should he lose a yard of pace as a result of his recent surgery. Then I realised that the Uraguayan manager was only referring to his anticipated level of performance in the current World Cup .... at least I think that's what he meant.

Reading between the lines, if I were a betting man, I'd not expect him to play against England tonight.

You don't think there's game playing going on?
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

You don't think there's game playing going on?
    I do think precisely that - and that the Uraguayan coach is making out that Suarez is set to play whereas in reality he hasn't a prayer of doing so.

..... Of course I could be wrong!

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited June 2014
    Outrageous exploitation of an underpaid worker by the arch-bankster, Goldmann Sachs, is revealed in transcripts of a NYC employment tribunal's proceedings.

Enough to make even the mildest leftie turn puce in indignation.

Full disgrace revealed here: http://bloom.bg/Uee36C
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    What LAB strategists need to worry about, with regard to LD switchers, is authoritarian (and anti-working class) announcements about under-21s on the dole.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

What LAB strategists need to worry about, with regard to LD switchers, is authoritarian (and anti-working class) announcements about under-21s on the dole.

I was wondering who those headlines were aimed at. UKIP switchers? But I think you're right, they'd be better off ignoring the fruitcakes and loonies

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The voters that fell for the Cleggasm are the few that rate Ed ?

I guess they are consistent...
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    The near deification of 'Ashcroft' polls on here is bizarre. He, like most other pollsters have underestimated real Tory polls in actual elections by around 2% this year and I'm unconvinced of the reliability of any marginal polling. He may be saying what some want to hear but one senses too much of the 'comfort blanket' syndrome at work. Best by far to view all polling as 'now snapshots' and no more.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SophyRidgeSky: Matt is brilliant in the Telegraph this morning.... http://t.co/pc2vLoJTmX
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@SophyRidgeSky: Matt is brilliant in the Telegraph this morning.... http://t.co/pc2vLoJTmX

Ed will be hoping England score some home runs tonight.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    That's a slightly misleading presentation of the data in the OP. The question is primarily about David Cameron rather than about the competing merits of David Cameron and Ed Miliband, and respondents weren't asked if they were satisfied with Ed Miliband. There were three options:

1) satisfied with David Cameron as Prime Minister
    2) dissatisfied with David Cameron but still preferring him to Ed Miliband as Prime Minister
    3) dissatisfied with David Cameron and preferring Ed Miliband as Prime Minister

30% of all Labour voters agree with one of the first two propositions. 23% of 2010 Lib Dem voters who have switched to Labour agree with one of the first two propositions. 3% of Conservative voters agree with the third proposition.

If you take the results at face value, the Conservatives will have an easier job wooing the 30% of Labour voters who prefer David Cameron than Labour will of wooing the 3% of Conservative voters who prefer Ed Miliband.

You can take issue with the structure of the question on two grounds:

1) it gives respondents two ways out of three to be dissatisfied with David Cameron
    2) it gives respondents two ways out of three to prefer David Cameron as Prime Minister

Both of these will lead some respondents towards the second proposition.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,436
    Matter? Absolutely. Matter most? Not while Labour's own 2010 voters rate him so poorly.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    edited June 2014
    I don't buy this at all. Gordon Brown had better ratings than Ed. It's possible that people that voted for Brown would not vote for Ed. The more so the further North you go and especially in Scotland.

The problem for Ed is that he is now a big part of the central narrative. As I do my early morning emails I have Classic FM on in the background to ease me into the day. The news on this most inoffensive of radio stations has just run Ed's catastrophic personal ratings as one of its main headlines. It's not just places like PB where people are talking about this now.

I never used to think it was an issue and dismissed those on PB who said it was. But I think they were right and I was hopelessly wrong (not for the first time!). Ed appears on TV more during election campaigns and Labour's vote is never as high as the opinion polls indicate it should be. He is an active drag on the party. In addition to which, he is a catastrophically poor leader who has failed utterly to challenge labour's lazy 20th century way of seeing the world. It is hard to think of anyone in recent history more ill-equipped for a leadership role, and I include IDS and Hague in that. Even Michael Foot, who at least inspired a level of affection among Labour members. Ed has nothing - he's a nice bloke who should be running a ThinkTank or working as an adviser.
  • Options
    In fact, it would not be stretching it to say that a party capable of choosing and then retaining Ed Miliband as its leader should not be allowed anywhere near elected office. It pains me to say so, because I am instinctively a Labour supporter, but I can't vote for the party while he is in charge.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Paxman's Put Down of EdM

"The BBC's Jeremy Paxman presented his final edition of Newsnight, after 25 years fronting the programme during which he suggested that Labour leader Ed Miliband had about as much appeal "as a flatulent dog in a lift".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/10910736/After-25-years-at-the-helm-Jeremy-Paxman-presents-his-final-Newsnight.html

In Today's YouGov, on best PM, DC is 37(+2) and EDM is 19 (-2).
    EdM is supported by 56% of Labour VI and 45% of 2010 Labour VI.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,432
    I am with the majority view again this morning. The idea that Labour are not panicking about Ed's truly abysmal ratings is just daft. It has, in the last couple of weeks, become the story. It is setting the media narrative which is a difficult thing to change. It affects what question Ed and other Labour spokesmen get asked in every interview. It puts them on the back foot. It is a major problem.
  • Options

In fact, it would not be stretching it to say that a party capable of choosing and then retaining Ed Miliband as its leader should not be allowed anywhere near elected office. It pains me to say so, because I am instinctively a Labour supporter, but I can't vote for the party while he is in charge.

Who is the alternative? David ("banana man") would face the same levels of press ridicule and hostility, and like Ed is no natural communicator with voters who did not read PPE at Oxford. Ed Balls is not liked by the public. Andy Burnham would be an obvious target for Stafford attacks and his policies invariably sound like he has swallowed whole whatever was served up by the last industry lobbyist he met. Diane Abbot by a process of elimination?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Labour has been unlucky in its leaders. I quite liked Foot and Smith. I had no strong feelings either way about Kinnock. However, Blair is a mendacious spiv with a Messiah complex, Brown is partisan to the point of madness and Milliband is from Planet Odd.

It's not that bad to be from Planet Odd - plenty of folks on here come from the same place. What's strikes me as unfortunate is the misguided attempts to humanise the poor old thing. It simply draws attention to his innate oddity.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    edited June 2014
    Will be interesting to see the equivalent numbers in the Con-Lib marginals. Are Labour gaining voters in the right seats? Or conversely maybe the Lib Dems are keeping voters in the right seats?
  • Options
    Ed Miliband is now exceeding IDS levels of awfulness. Even the tory party of the noughties, who had strong suicidal tendencies in many respects so long as one was "pure" on Europe, were not daft enough to go into an election with him as leader.

The problem for Labour is that this issue, which has been bubbling under for a while, has suddenly come into central view quite close to the election. Unless they are going to have another coronation I really don't see how they have time to do much about it now.

Even if they did we have to remember this is the same party that crowned Brown unopposed and foisted him on the country. Madness, incompetence and a complete inability to make a decision (until Mandy came back to run things for him) were not enough for that party to do the sensible thing (I won't bother mentioning the interests of the country because there is no evidence that was even on the radar). It is just not in their DNA.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,238

Who is the alternative? David ("banana man") would face the same levels of press ridicule and hostility, and like Ed is no natural communicator with voters who did not read PPE at Oxford. Ed Balls is not liked by the public. Andy Burnham would be an obvious target for Stafford attacks and his policies invariably sound like he has swallowed whole whatever was served up by the last industry lobbyist he met. Diane Abbot by a process of elimination?
    It's a great shame Denham exited the battlefield and Murphy is another Scot. In my view Labour would really benefit from electing a female leader but the only semi-credible candidate at the moment is Cooper.
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: Headline on LabourList this morning: "Why Miliband still matters". Modern version of '83 press conference "Michael Foot is Labour leader".
  • Options
    Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    The latest Labour benefits policy for young people is disgusting. It saves basically nothing and hurts people for having nothing but the audacity to be young, unemployed and poor.

It's a horrible time to be young. Two parties who are trying to outdo themselves in screwing them over.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    In the YouGov poll Clegg is down to 3% for the first time as "best PM"
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,454
    Will everyone please CALM DOWN.

EdM has shown he has the guts for the fight. Stopping unemployment benefit for 18-21yr olds will ignite the left.

Onwards!
  • Options

It's a great shame Denham exited the battlefield and Murphy is another Scot. In my view Labour would really benefit from electing a female leader but the only semi-credible candidate at the moment is Cooper.
    Cooper has been trying harder of late but she has really struggled to do much damage to May. On the passport issue and others she has had a tendency to come across as whiney and on occasions ridiculous. For a long time in this Parliament she has been fairly invisible which has no doubt helped the rise of May.

I personally think Labour should go for Andy Burnham. He is not the sharpest tool in the box but he has decent instincts and seems to be able to relate to the species known as homo sapiens, something the leadership of all the main parties seem to find difficult. I was impressed with the role he played on Hillsborough. I think the Stafford story is too complicated and too long ago to resonate in any particular way.

There is no doubt that Labour need a serious infusion of new blood at the top levels removing the Brown/Blair remenants. But that is a job for after the election.

• Options
    @politicshome: Labour's proposed youth allowance will be means-tested on parental income, @RachelReevesMP tells #R4Today
  • Options

For me Alan Johnson would have been an ideal leader to steer Labour through these years of opposition, but he did not want to get involved. However, I actually think that any of those who ran in 2010 - except Diane Abbott - would have done a better job than EdM. Let's face it, they are not up against a colossus.
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

The latest Labour benefits policy for young people is disgusting. It saves basically nothing and hurts people for having nothing but the audacity to be young, unemployed and poor.

It's a horrible time to be young. Two parties who are trying to outdo themselves in screwing them over.

Agreed. It will be interesting to see what the priorities of this generation will be when they are in charge and being asked to pay for the care homes of those in charge now.

• Options
    @rosschawkins: Rachel Reeves: in a year's time I think that Ed will be PM

...and monkeys might fly out of my butt
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The problem for Labour is that this issue, which has been bubbling under for a while, has suddenly come into central view quite close to the election. Unless they are going to have another coronation I really don't see how they have time to do much about it now.

Cause and effect. The reason Ed Miliband's ratings are an issue so close to the election is just that -- we are so close to an election. Tory election playbook chapter one, page one: heap personal abuse on the Labour leader -- ask Foot, Kinnock, Brown and even Tony "demon eyes" Blair.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Cause and effect. The reason Ed Miliband's ratings are an issue so close to the election is just that -- we are so close to an election. Tory election playbook chapter one, page one: heap personal abuse on the Labour leader -- ask Foot, Kinnock, Brown and even Tony "demon eyes" Blair.
    That is a fair point but it is not necessary for the Labour leader to keep giving them the ammunition. Teflon Tony never did. That is why he kept winning.

• Options
    Oliver_PB said:

I actually don't think the thinking behind it is terrible, the idea of paying to train young people rather than paying them to sit trapped on the dole. The trouble is that presentationally it is awful, it probably costs more and is tactically idiotic. From the Tory perspective having pushed Labour to the wings they can cut inside and hammer the goal. Miliband is being tactically and strategically outmanoeuvred on welfare and like Kutuzov at Austerlitz he doesn't realise he's doing everything his opponent wants him to.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    OT

The reality brought about by ISIS publishing a 410 page annual report which details its terrorist actions over the last year and makes reference to its financial supporters, shows a degree of wide-ranging support and a disciplined organisation that would be envied by many plcs.

The report (in Arabic) is downloadable from: http://azelin.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/al-binc481-magazine-1.pdf.

Its cold listing of atrocities by type (in all the press today), of its armaments and of its territorial gains and not least its aim of enforcing totalitarian Islamic belief and practices in all its territories can only lead to one conclusion: that it will have to be met by force. Whether that will be Shias from Iran or an international UN sanctioned force (doubtful and probably too late) remains to be seen.

Not only is it a threat to the personal freedoms of millions of people, but its activities in the Middle East could cause another energy price hike as well as an economic growth disruption.

At present it appears to be Sunni-led, which is also the main Islamic-sect in Nigeria and Somalia which are sources of Islamic aggression seen recently.

As well as theft, it is believed that many of its sources of financial support come from S.E Asia.

How DC will deal with any Islam fighters returning from Syria and Iraq will be interesting and how much will the ECHR interfere citing their rights to a family life etc?

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2014

For me Alan Johnson would have been an ideal leader to steer Labour through these years of opposition, but he did not want to get involved. However, I actually think that any of those who ran in 2010 - except Diane Abbott - would have done a better job than EdM. Let's face it, they are not up against a colossus.
    There is no credible potential Labour leader. Not Balls, not Cooper, not Burnham, not Umuna, not Harman - NOT A SINGLE ONE.

The real issue is that we live in a rapidly globalising world. We need to compete. We need to balance our books. We need to educate our kids (actual knowledge and capabilities not devalued certifications). We need to rethink our whole worldview on running an unaffordable welfare state. The whole over-borrowed, deficit running developed world is circling the bowl.

And what is the point of Labour, what is it's view, what value does it bring to the table when 'there's no money left'? All they ever promote is more borrowing, more spending, more central control, more unions, more of the state. When the only tool you have is a hammer then every problem starts to look like a nail. Labour's policy toolbox has just the one hammer in it. And the UK does not need another thumping right now.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    The fact is current labour VI will vote labour in spite of Ed, not because of Ed. And they will make him PM. It will be a relief to have a well meaning oddball as PM in a non-presidential system as opposed to a poor copy of a slick PR goon, I think the importance people on here place on a party figurehead is overstated and is largely based on a contempt for the vast majority of the population held by a bunch of wealthy, privileged public schoolboys who have been brainwashed their whole lives into thinking they are everyone else's betters and the plebs need a firm guiding hand.
  • Options
    From Osborne's and the tories' point of view this would be the final icing on the cake: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10908790/Bank-of-Englands-Weale-says-wage-growth-will-be-double-inflation.html

Wages to grow at double the rate of inflation.

Personally, I am not sure I believe it. I think that the huge pool of well qualified and seriously under-employed on our doorstep in the EU with unrestricted rights of access here has materially and substantially changed the labour market. The supply of labour is now almost limitless so increases in pay have to reflect the desire to have a particular person or achieve a particular output.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    It's one thing to win over the LibDem switchers but Ed still needs to persuade the people who voted for Gordon last time to get up off their sofas. Cameron should make the BBC buy in some proper TV dramas from Fox and show them all on election day. Ed Miliband or The Walking Dead? I mean, personally I think both are great, but...
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    felix said:

The near deification of 'Ashcroft' polls on here is bizarre. He, like most other pollsters have underestimated real Tory polls in actual elections by around 2% this year

Do you expect pollsters to predict the exact result?

• Options
    ToryJim said:

Oliver_PB said:

I actually don't think the thinking behind it is terrible, the idea of paying to train young people rather than paying them to sit trapped on the dole. The trouble is that presentationally it is awful, it probably costs more and is tactically idiotic. From the Tory perspective having pushed Labour to the wings they can cut inside and hammer the goal. Miliband is being tactically and strategically outmanoeuvred on welfare and like Kutuzov at Austerlitz he doesn't realise he's doing everything his opponent wants him to.
    There is another problem - teaching people skills when there are no jobs to use those skills unless they leave their locality and move to where the jobs are.

In a near-by group of offices there are three charities/councils - all funded by the public purse - enabling people who are unemployed/disabled/ex-cons etc to be employed. Major problem is that in this district there are no jobs available. Also I am told that most do not want to move as they are "happy where they are" on benefits. I was informed that they are not allowed to recommend that they move to where jobs are available under the terms of their contract.

All these offices pay a high rent and are stuffed with the latest in IT, special furniture and advisors who admit privately that not one person has become employed through their efforts. Surely it would be better to financially help people to move than waste all this money.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    edited June 2014
    The key to the Lib Dem - Con marginal poll will how the 35% of LD -> Lab switchers act in LD marginals. If they all vote Lib Dem the swing could be as low as 1.5% to Conservative.

But that is very much the worst case (Con)/ best case (LD) scenario.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

There is no credible potential Labour leader. Not Balls, not Cooper, not Burnham, not Umuna, not Harman - NOT A SINGLE ONE.

The real issue is that we live in a rapidly globalising world. We need to compete. We need to balance our books. We need to educate our kids (actual knowledge and capabilities not devalued certifications). We need to rethink our whole worldview on running an unaffordable welfare state. The whole over-borrowed, deficit running developed world is circling the bowl.

And what is the point of Labour, what is it's view, what value does it bring to the table when 'there's no money left'? All they ever promote is more borrowing, more spending, more central control, more unions, more of the state. When the only tool you have is a hammer then every problem starts to look like a nail. Labour's policy toolbox has just the one hammer in it. And the UK does not need another thumping right now.

It is incumbent on Labour to hone a social democratic message for the 21st century. So far, it has failed to do so. But then I do not think that the Tories have begin to come to grips with how things have changed either. yes, we do need to compete in a rapidly globalising world - at my place we do almost no business in the UK so I know that very well. Pulling up the drawbridge will get us nowhere, but neither will a race to the bottom in terms of salaries, employment protection, welfare and the rest. You and I will differ fundamentally on the role of government, which is why you are a Tory and I am not.

• Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Thanks to Mike for an interesting Red Liberals thread.

Food for thought.
  • Options

It's one thing to win over the LibDem switchers but Ed still needs to persuade the people who voted for Gordon last time to get up off their sofas. Cameron should make the BBC buy in some proper TV dramas from Fox and show them all on election day. Ed Miliband or The Walking Dead? I mean, personally I think both are great, but...

Most Labour people will be at work on Election Day. Higher proportion of working supporters than any other party.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

The fact is current labour VI will vote labour in spite of Ed, not because of Ed. And they will make him PM. It will be a relief to have a well meaning oddball as PM in a non-presidential system as opposed to a poor copy of a slick PR goon, I think the importance people on here place on a party figurehead is overstated and is largely based on a contempt for the vast majority of the population held by a bunch of wealthy, privileged public schoolboys who have been brainwashed their whole lives into thinking they are everyone else's betters and the plebs need a firm guiding hand.

A well meaning oddball - its what we dream of for all our leaders.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good morning all and while we all get excited about every poll published, the real electorate couldn't care less and we are at risk of over analysing.

I remember before the last GE a large number of PBers were putting the LibDems at 80-100 seats and those of us who said they would go backwards and have a net loss were told we didn't know what we were talking about. We know what happened on the day.

People lie to pollsters and pollsters rarely achieve a truly balanced sample no matter how much they weight up and down for spirals of silence. There is a widespread view among people that Miliband is just not up to the job and that is only going to get worse as he comes under increasingly tight scrutiny in the weeks ahead. Party Managers can silence embarrassing candidates but they cant silence an embarrassing leader!!

The LibDem to Labour switchers might be an important group but at the end of the day we know a great many were either Labour voters pre 2010 or will simply not vote. If David Cameron can muster 35+% in on election day, he remains PM. The recent Peter Kellner analysis was fascinating. It made me think back to pre 1983 when only a few seats needed to shift to change governments because the Liberals were totally irrelevant outside 20 seats. In 150 minutes we will know if that is where they are headed once more.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    edited June 2014
    Good morning, everyone.

FPT: Mr. Briskin, you're quite correct, I got the headline wrong.

Mr. Kendrick, thanks, although I must point out of 4 recent(ish) tips only 2 came off (1 was null and void due to a player dropping out). A reasonable quartet, overall, but could be better.

Edited extra bit: no tips today, incidentally.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Re HS2 and nuclear power - how many suppliers will be based in the UK, how many of the contracts will be outsourced or placed abroad because of skill shortages or lack of capacity here?

The trade deficit isn't going to go away, and it has to be financed?
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    The key question on Ashcroft's LD/CON marginals poll is how far from UNS the results are.
    The latest Ashcroft national poll has LD 8,Con 29,Lab 35,Ukip 15.Compared to the GE this is Con -8,Lab +6,Lib -15 ,UKIP =12. This gives a swing of 4% from LD to CON,so will be looking to see if marginals have greater or lesser swing than this.Ashcroft swings away from LD are to Labour 10% and to UKIP 13%
  • Options
    Lots of confirmation bias from the Tory hordes on here this morning. It's like an echo chamber at times, this place.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Ed has nothing - he's a nice bloke who should be running a ThinkTank or working as an adviser.

Ed at ThinkTank, day one at the job, straining very hard to focus:

"OK, I've got it....yes...big gun...armour...tracks...I'm thinking tank...."

• Options
    Mr. Jim, I enjoyed Coogan's attack a few years ago on Top Gear.

To be fair, only the most horrid people appear on the show, and only the worst dregs of humanity more than once. Like... Steve Coogan, for example. Ahem.

[For the record, I do like Top Gear, even if Richard Hammond needs to be tossed overboard].
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Lots of confirmation bias from the Tory hordes on here this morning. It's like an echo chamber at times, this place.

Go on then Bob - give a robust defence of Ed. Tell the voters about his strengths we aren't yet seeing in our next Prime Minster.

Use both sides of the paper.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

JWisemann said:

A well meaning oddball - its what we dream of for all our leaders.
    The one time I met Ed, years ago, I didn't find him odd at all. He came across as a perfectly normal bloke. I simply don't recognise his public image, which suggests he has a problem projecting his self rather than being "odd" per se.
  • Options
    Oh and SouthamObserver, welcome to the ranks of "Tory hordes"!
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

The one time I met Ed, years ago, I didn't find him odd at all. He came across as a perfectly normal bloke. I simply don't recognise his public image, which suggests he has a problem projecting his self rather than being "odd" per se.

Or, just maybe, you have a problem spotting "odd"?

• Options
    Just seen more details on the Labour proposals. The fact that in essence they want to say to richer parents that they are the welfare state for their kids is going to go down like a cup of cold sick. Think this will get shredded from both sides.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    All the Labour party can do now is to rally behind Ed; they are stuck with him and they will rally round in a luke-warm way.

It may be enough.

They could make a virtue of it. You have posh spivs, but we've got Mr Potato Head. Although he looks weird and he sounds weird, he's the man for the job.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited June 2014
    Seen elsewhere - Mystic Moyes.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/football/World_Cup/article1417169.ece

Reign of Spain hard to break.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Considering the results of Oakenshott's polling in supposedly safe Lib Dem seats (even after proper weighting) then I can't see how the results of Ashcroft's marginals poll will be anything but terrible for the Lib Dems. I also think the majority of people won't have thought about the prospect of tactical voting yet before knowing about the state of play around election time.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

From Osborne's and the tories' point of view this would be the final icing on the cake: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10908790/Bank-of-Englands-Weale-says-wage-growth-will-be-double-inflation.html

Personally, I am not sure I believe it. I think that the huge pool of well qualified and seriously under-employed on our doorstep in the EU with unrestricted rights of access here has materially and substantially changed the labour market. The supply of labour is now almost limitless so increases in pay have to reflect the desire to have a particular person or achieve a particular output.

That depends on the skills the worker possesses and how widely those skills are found elsewhere in the EU. We're about to give our annual round of pay rises, and they're going to be fairly chunky in the main (well ahead of inflation). This is largely down to market pressures requiring us to do so.

Unskilled workers, semi-skilled workers and workers with skills that are found in other places in the EU will have a very different experience.

The moral of the story, children, is get valuable skills that few others have.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

Well not really. I met tons of people in my line of work, some of them are distinctly odd! He just came across as a genuinely nice guy - i suspect many of those who deride him as odd have never actually met him.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:
    blimey have Francis Wheen and IDS ever been seen in the same room together?
  • Options

Patrick said:

It is incumbent on Labour to hone a social democratic message for the 21st century. So far, it has failed to do so. But then I do not think that the Tories have begin to come to grips with how things have changed either. yes, we do need to compete in a rapidly globalising world - at my place we do almost no business in the UK so I know that very well. Pulling up the drawbridge will get us nowhere, but neither will a race to the bottom in terms of salaries, employment protection, welfare and the rest. You and I will differ fundamentally on the role of government, which is why you are a Tory and I am not.

@SouthernObserver

Us too, over the last 5 years business has changed from 70%UK/20%EU/10%ROW to 10%UK/30%EU/60%ROW.

However, especially with Asia and S America price is getting to be a problem - mainly because their skill sets and technical expertise is rapidly approaching the best of the UK's levels. Thus we are inhibited on employee total package as the best of Asia charge lower day rates that us.

Also most of the new energy sources are outside Europe. and that a good part of our business.

What I can see, is that many UK companies will move some of their offices overseas in order to be able to compete. Then restrictions on ex-pat employees may have a significant effect.

• Options
    I'm going to read the 'Condition of Britain' report with great interest. Sad, but true.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    ToryJim said:

Just seen more details on the Labour proposals. The fact that in essence they want to say to richer parents that they are the welfare state for their kids is going to go down like a cup of cold sick. Think this will get shredded from both sides.

Ending middle-class welfare would be a good thing.

• Options
    DavidL said:

mean wages, median wages or what? I'll be surprised if zero hours contract wages will shooting up
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Well not really. I met tons of people in my line of work, some of them are distinctly odd! He just came across as a genuinely nice guy - i suspect many of those who deride him as odd have never actually met him.
    Public people often have a split persona, the nicest public figures are often utter shits in private and vice versa
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Ending middle-class welfare would be a good thing.

Not in this way.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ToryJim said:

Why? Parents supporting their children is perfectly natural, and most would want to do so anyway. As ever, it's where the threshold is set that is going to get the professional angrytariat frothing.

Reforming the welfare state and making it both affordable and sustainable is going to require a lot of what we laughingly call 'tough decisions'. Props to Labour for making a start.
  • Options
    Nick Cohen is not necessarily in favour of Coogan's appointment:
    http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9238331/since-when-has-steve-coogan-stood-against-censorship/
  • Options

BobaFett said:

I suspect his self- professed "intellectual self-confidence" is a sham. He's not entirely sure what he thinks (or what he can get away with thinking) and therefore can't deliver it convincingly. D.cameron on the other hand gives the impression of not thinking too much, so doesn't encounter this problem
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Artist said:

Considering the results of Oakenshott's polling in supposedly safe Lib Dem seats (even after proper weighting) then I can't see how the results of Ashcroft's marginals poll will be anything but terrible for the Lib Dems. I also think the majority of people won't have thought about the prospect of tactical voting yet before knowing about the state of play around election time.

Welcome. And I have the same expectation for the same reasons.

EDIT Bah, there is no colour option.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Public people often have a split persona, the nicest public figures are often utter shits in private and vice versa
    Quite. That was my original point. A Labour MP once told me that Michael Howard was the nicest guy in the Commons - you'd never guess it from the way he was portrayed in the media and by his so-called colleagues in the Tory party. Who can forget Widdicombe's disgraceful attack on him?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

I felt much the same about the Conservatives when IDS was the leader, wondering whether in all conscience, I'd be able to vote for them in a GE. It wasn't that I disliked or disapproved of IDS - indeed he has many virtues - but I thought having him as leader showed that the party was not serious.

In the end, my dilemma was resolved by the defenestration of IDS and the appointment of Michael Howard as leader. Although Howard wouldn't have been my choice, he was at least a serious figure that one could feel could hold the office of PM.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

A close friend of mine who knows Cameron fairly well through his line of work says that Cameron is very odd, cold and unfriendly in "real life". I have never met the PM so cannot comment.
    Boris I have met, and he was very warm and friendly, and came across similar to his public persona.
  • Options
    Just a test
  • Options
    I've met all the SNP cabinet bar Salmond, and I found both Nicola Sturgeon and Roseanna Cunningham to be extremely pleasant - polite, witty and charming. That was unexpected.
  • Options
    In defence of Ed Miliband, he is a decent and intelligent man who learns from his mistakes. He has shown bravery in his career - challenging his brother for the leadership of the party and later attacking the press for their misdeeds. He has an intellectual curiosity, exploring some important ideas that had gone out of fashion. And he can be witty when he puts his mind to it.

There are politicians who would make worse Prime Ministers.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

I suspect his self- professed "intellectual self-confidence" is a sham. He's not entirely sure what he thinks (or what he can get away with thinking) and therefore can't deliver it convincingly. D.cameron on the other hand gives the impression of not thinking too much, so doesn't encounter this problem
    I have no doubt that he is perfectly aware of what he thinks and is equally aware of what the Great British Public will put up with. It's why he and Cam walk down the aisle at public dos chatting happily away. The much-criticised JCR clique.

They are both aware of the dynamics involved in high office and are forever treading a fine line between appealing to their base, drifting to the middle, setting a "bombshell" narrative (eg. energy prices, etc).

They are, through no fault of their own, more perceptive than the GBP. Now, we may be also, as self-identified political geeks, but these people have gone that extra step and sought and achieved power.

This is not to say that they are two-faced or deliberately disingenuous, just that they are aware of what they can and can't get away with. They are savvy (or have advisers who are).

The whole "odd" thing is a (very amusing) red (!) herring and sideshow.

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    BobaFett said:

ToryJim said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

A close friend of mine who knows Cameron fairly well through his line of work says that Cameron is very odd, cold and unfriendly in "real life". I have never met the PM so cannot comment.
    Boris I have met, and he was very warm and friendly, and came across similar to his public persona.
    You should move away from personalities and gossip. Judge politicians on results like an adult.
  • Options
    Mr Dancer, if you are an anti-censorship outfit and you appoint a shill for censorship then I think mystification and outright opposition are to be expected.
  • Options
    Nice piece on the Bloodhound, which hopes to beat the land speed record:
    http://thewptformula.com/2014/06/18/bloodhound-ssc-cockpit-launch-day/
  • Options
    Mr. Jim, I quite agree.
  • Options

Nice piece on the Bloodhound, which hopes to beat the land speed record:
    http://thewptformula.com/2014/06/18/bloodhound-ssc-cockpit-launch-day/

Mr Dancer, I now have a certain song in my head curse you and my word association.

• Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Oliver_PB said:

It's a good policy for the Tories though because Labour has more support amongst the young. This policy will push those supporters elsewhere.

Well thought out by Ed.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    ToryJim said:

One would have thought 18-21 year olds would be regarded as independent adults; I’m all in favour of Government intervention to support, help train and motivate this group, however the ‘means tested’ aspect of the new proposal should alarm most parents as they find themselves picking up the welfare tab as the state abandons their kids.
  • Options
    Mr. Jim, is it the William Tell Overture?
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

ToryJim said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Boris is outwardly friendly to most people - but inwardly often feels different but he is careful not to have real Gordon Brown moments.

DC is often lost in his thoughts and so may appear unfriendly in real life, but get him on a one-to-one basis he is both good fun as well as a good listener.

Is your close friend a Labour supporter?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    BobaFett said:

ToryJim said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

But you ARE commenting via a third party/., Your low grade smear is risble.
    I know someone who HAS met Cameron by accident rather than design , I shall not say how or where but that person said he was very pleasant .

• Options

Alas no, a song by The Bloodhound Gang
  • Options
    So an 18-21 year old living at home gets no benefits but get pregnant and move out and you do.

Sums it all up really.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Lord Ashcroft LD-CON battlegrounds poll with overall sample of 17k being published at 11am. It looks as though 17 seats have been polled.
  • Options
    The YES campaign has ditched the 9/11 and Hillsborough mocking "Wings over Somerset" website

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/yes-campaign-distances-itself-from-controversial-website-link.24528929

"The cross-party Yes organisation ordered a local group to stop distributing material endorsing the Wings Over Scotland website."
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Alas no, a song by The Bloodhound Gang
    Oddly, I was thinking about that ensemble only this morning in the bath. They had one of the best album titles ever, but when transferring it to itunes, the CD had 99 tracks, which was a real chore.
This discussion has been closed.