Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Trump bows out with the worst Gallup approval ratings ever for any President in 83 years of polling

Comments

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited January 2021

An example of those supply-chain adaptations @Philip_Thompson has been talking about:

https://twitter.com/IrlEmbParis/status/1351556615665819648

But, what is the advantage of having these Irish trucks trundle through Wales & England to the continent?

They pay no tariff, and they can easily avoid buying diesel in the UK (diesel is cheaper in Ireland) so they are not even contributing to taxation and hence upkeep of the roads. They are not even paying their way.

They are noisy & polluting, they are contributing to heavy traffic on the road & congestion.

Against this, I guess there are some jobs at Holyhead and Dover that depend on the Irish truckers. They may go.

I might feel differently if Irish haulage to Europe was contributing to upkeep of our roads -- are they?

Before we get any more posts about this from you and Scott and co, please explain the advantage ***to Wales and England*** of having trucks use us a land-bridge to the EU.

Presumably, if we are all drove our juggernauts through Nabavi Gardens on our way to somewhere else, without offering any recompense, Richard Nabavi would quickly put a stop to it.
    It is an excellent point and of course the sea routes will take longer and will be weather affected

As far as I am concerned Irish truckers going to Dover through North Wales do not seem to contribute anything but noise and pollution
    What's your understanding of the economic implications costs and benefits of truckers passing through North Wales, Big G?
  • MattW said:

An example of those supply-chain adaptations @Philip_Thompson has been talking about:

But, what is the advantage of having these Irish trucks trundle through Wales & England to the continent?

They pay no tariff, and they can easily avoid buying diesel in the UK (diesel is cheaper in Ireland) so they are not even contributing to taxation and hence upkeep of the roads. They are not even paying their way.

They are noisy & polluting, they are contributing to heavy traffic on the road & congestion.

Against this, I guess there are some jobs at Holyhead and Dover that depend on the Irish truckers. They may go.

I might feel differently if Irish haulage to Europe was contributing to upkeep of our roads -- are they?

Before we get any more posts about this from you and Scott and co, please explain the advantage ***to Wales and England*** of having trucks use us a land-bridge to the EU.

Presumably, if we are all drove our juggernauts through Nabavi Gardens on our way to somewhere else, without offering any recompense, Richard Nabavi would quickly put a stop to it.
    It is an excellent point and of course the sea routes will take longer and will be weather affected

As far as I am concerned Irish truckers going to Dover through North Wales do not seem to contribute anything but noise and pollution
    I thought they now paid Road Tax.
    They do. The HGV levy.

The Welsh posters on here certainly don't know much about their principality.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,964
    Nigelb said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:
    Shush. You'll bring out the thought police again with talk like that.
    So you're saying the Dutch have made a pigs ear of things? Interesting
    It's an offal mess.
    They've been tripe.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Andy_JS said:

"Lord Sumption: the monstering of a lockdown sceptic
    He's been the victim of a bad-faith effort to demonise criticism of government policy.
    Luke Gittos"

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/01/19/lord-sumption-the-monstering-of-a-lockdown-sceptic/

No bad faith about it, good faith criticism.

I mean just look at this correction the Telegraph had to do, he consistently gets basic facts wrong.

Lord Sumption: The simple truth is that lockdowns do not work

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article stated that ' in March Imperial College produced their now "discredited" figure of 510,000 deaths unless drastic action was taken'. In fact, Imperial College predicted 250,000 UK deaths without further intervention. We have amended the opening paragraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2020/12/19/simple-truth-lockdowns-do-not-work/

Lord Sumption is as much an expert on pandemics as I am an expert on the awesomeness of putting pineapple on pizza.
    But he went to Eton so has a God-given right to pontificate on all subjects.
    He was also a Fellow of Magdalen, and we know nothing good ever comes of those coves. The best of them run politics blogs, or somesuch.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited January 2021

What are your thoughts on Alun Davies' drinking exploits? Throw him out! It is unfortunate that Drakeford is a teetotaler!
    I do not know the details but I do know Darren Miller and I am surprised

However, Alun Davies is for labour to deal with, but it will be interesting to know just who and how many were there

As far as Drakeford is concerned words have failed me for months, and I notice the BMA are now attacking his ineptitude

• Is Gedling the word for what he's doing while making that face?

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1351576099206135808?s=20
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

UK R

From cases

From hospitalisation data

Seems a bit better Malmesbury. A nicer post for you to make.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,603

Off topic and breaking.

Labour's Alun Davies has been suspended from the Labour AM group for drinking alcohol in the Senedd, despite a ban.

He and the three Tories should all resign.
    ITV News hub has only specified Alun Davies of the Labour group.
    Reported elsewhere that it was three Conservative AMs and one Labour AM. Last I heard the Labour one has been suspended by his party and nothing's been done about the Conservatives. I'd expect that to change fairly shortly.
    Paul Davies is the Conservative leader, an apology should suffice.
  • An example of those supply-chain adaptations @Philip_Thompson has been talking about:

Yes, they did contribute to upkeep of our roads, thanks to the very sensible government we had in place under Cameron:

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/irish-hauliers-pay-45m-a-year-to-use-uk-roads-37168881.html

As for other economic benefits to the UK, off the top of my head:

- Distribution centres in the UK (they weren't all just direct continent to Ireland trucks) - this is the most important

- Work for UK haulage companies

- Jobs for UK truck drivers

- Jobs in the ports

- Jobs in the ferry industry
  • Here's another example of the Mail and Murder Tuesday.

Britain records its deadliest day since Covid pandemic began with 1,610 new victims

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9164179/Britain-records-deadliest-day-Covid-pandemic-began-1-610-new-victims.html

Sort of, in that they don't make it clear that the deaths didn't actually happen in the last 24 hours, but not really, because they make a point of comparing the figure with last Tuesday's, rather than yesterday's.
    I'm on my mobile, so can't properly check, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't our deadliest day since the start of the Covid-19 Pandemic.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,632
    Age related data

• An example of those supply-chain adaptations @Philip_Thompson has been talking about:

Absolutely! The market finds a way at adapting.

If we were previously just being used as a conduit then it reduces pressure on our ports, on our roads, emissions of particles etc on our roads. Its a good adaptation to have our roads and ports used by those who actually want to use them. 👍🏻
    Its also Good News for the UK Logistics Industry who provided the haulage, warehousing and consolidation for much of the Irish market. Happily all those people now get the sack and experience the benevolence of the Universal Credit regime.
  • MattW said:

They do. The HGV levy.

But currently suspended for all hauliers (domestic and foreign) to "help the COVID-19 pandemic recovery efforts".
  • Off topic and breaking.

Labour's Alun Davies has been suspended from the Labour AM group for drinking alcohol in the Senedd, despite a ban.

Reported elsewhere that it was three Conservative AMs and one Labour AM. Last I heard the Labour one has been suspended by his party and nothing's been done about the Conservatives. I'd expect that to change fairly shortly.
    The full details of who was there and the reasons have yet to be revealed

Maybe let's see a little more than an initial report
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,620

Here's another example of the Mail and Murder Tuesday.

Britain records its deadliest day since Covid pandemic began with 1,610 new victims

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9164179/Britain-records-deadliest-day-Covid-pandemic-began-1-610-new-victims.html

Do you think your constantly calling it Murder Tuesday might be a teeny little bit hysterical?
    UK vaccinations

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,865
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

I don't like Trump. I do like Obama. Trump was a better President than Obama.

Omnium.
    A dagger to the heart, that post.
    One of my favourite posters too. But no more. My moist soft spot for Omnium has gone arid and hard.
  • RobD said:

Closest neighbour. Hm, do they not recognise the existence of the UK or something? :p
    Hence the EU flag qualifying "neighbour".
    edited January 2021

Age related data

The 65-74yr olds seem to have been particularly well behaved.

The UK was a logistics hub. Product would be moved from the rest of the EU into the UK. It would then get divided and re-consolidated into new loads going to ROI. We have now been cut out of that completely, so thats a stack of jobs about to go in warehousing, wholesaling, haulage.

I'm not saying that we as a country should be reliant on moon-sized warehouses in the golden triangle. But it was jobs. With the emphasis on was.
  • I mentioned this the other day.

Widespread coronavirus vaccination risks ‘day before Armistice’ wave of infections, experts warn

Widespread vaccination risks a “day before Armistice” wave of infections and deaths as people relax social distancing too quickly, senior government advisers have warned.

Only 44 per cent of people said they would follow the rules after vaccination, down from 65 per cent who said they were currently abiding by advice on hygiene and social distancing, according to surveys carried out by the Behavioural Insights Team, known as the “nudge unit”.

David Halpern, the unit’s head, who sits on the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), said he was very worried that people would “drop their guard” once they were vaccinated and dramatically increase their social contact.

People need to realise that it takes at least a couple of weeks for protection to kick in and not think they are “good to go” as soon as they get the jab, Dr Halpern told MPs today.

Stephen Reicher, who sits on the government’s SPI-B behavioural advisory group, said vaccinators should make this clear to people as they jabbed, calling for a public information campaign urging the immunised to follow the rules.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/widespread-coronavirus-vaccination-risks-day-before-armistice-wave-of-infections-experts-warn-x3xsfwkbt

Do you think your constantly calling it Murder Tuesday might be a teeny little bit hysterical?
    Oh calm yourself.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,603

Off topic and breaking.

I am happy with an apology from Paul Davies, I really don't want to see RT as FM in May!
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited January 2021

IIRC we used charge £10 a day for EU trucks to use our roads, was introduced by the coalition.
    It seems that this is correct and "charges vary between £1.70 and £10 per day." The higher figure is for a one-off journey, repeated journeys are cheaper so professional hauliers will buy a license

https://tinyurl.com/y5dcyvcq

So, the charge for an Irish truck going from Holyhead to Dover can be as little as £1.70.

£1.70.

It is only the heaviest trucks that get charged, ones less than 12 tonnes are free.

Thanks, George ... and TSE and Richard Nabavi. Another winner, ho hum.

Out of interest, does that break even -- in terms of pollution, noise, road repairs? Love to see the figures from George's gang.

They are people killed by deliberate act of government policy / Tory Party press office.

Murder feels about right. We did warn that relaxing restrictions for Christmas was criminally stupid. And it was.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,100

Off topic and breaking.

It's the Tory Leader and Chief Whip...
  • FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,867
    edited January 2021

Sort of, in that they don't make it clear that the deaths didn't actually happen in the last 24 hours, but not really, because they make a point of comparing the figure with last Tuesday's, rather than yesterday's.
    I'm on my mobile, so can't properly check, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't our deadliest day since the start of the Covid-19 Pandemic.
    That's the most deaths reported on a single day. The most deaths by date of death was 1,073 on 8 April, but that could still be pipped by 11 January, which is currently on 1,064 deaths. The days following 11 January also have high death numbers and could still overtake the record of 8 April.
  • TOPPING said:

What's your understanding of the economic implications costs and benefits of truckers passing through North Wales, Big G?
    I can tell you from first hand experience that you can always tell when an Irish ferry has docked in Holyhead, and you are driving out of North Wales, there are convoys of HGVs heading for non stop for the English borders adding to the pollution and noise and traffic congestion

Of course some jobs may go in Holyhead and investment is needed as Angleseys is not in good economic shape at the moment
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,469

Yes, they did contribute to upkeep of our roads, thanks to the very sensible government we had in place under Cameron:

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/irish-hauliers-pay-45m-a-year-to-use-uk-roads-37168881.html

- Distribution centres in the UK (they weren't all just direct continent to Ireland trucks) - this is the most important

- Jobs in the ports

On top of that lot if the Irish think it is cheaper now to avoid us and now incur what must have been a higher cost previously (as otherwise they would have done this before) then presumably this is a cost our hauliers are also now having to incur and clearly it isn't insignificant (albeit the Irish may have had 2 lots of paperwork) as you wouldn't go through the hassle of such a significant change if the extra cost was trivial.
  • GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    TOPPING said:

Age related data

Maybe, but you wouldn't be able to tell from that chart, as there are rather more 15-44 year olds than 65-74s.
  • Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    You know that poll was commissioned by James Kelly right, the bloke who you said had somehow finagled the results of his last poll?

This is an interesting subsidiary question dontcha think?

https://twitter.com/rosscolquhoun/status/1351236452944900097?s=21
    Even if 57% want a say in the next 5 years that means by 2026 ie after the next UK general election in 2024.

So most Scots would therefore be fine with Boris refusing an indyref for the rest of this Parliament (though that poll is a Comres poll not the Survation poll from today).

On today's Yougov poll Starmer would then become PM with SNP support and he can give the SNP their indyref along with devomax, it would no longer be Boris' problem.
    'within' does not necessarily mean they will be happy with after 2024 at all. You have jumped to a conclusion there.
    43% of Scots do not even want another indy referendum for at least another 10 years, it would only take about 20% of that 57% to be happy for no indyref until after the next UK general election in 2024 for a majority of Scots to support no indyref until after the next UK general election in 2024.

Regardless, the decision is one for Boris as UK PM, he has ruled one out so there will not be one until 2024 at the earliest if Starmer becomes PM.
    See my other reply that deals with the logic of your post.
    The logic is our constitution is based on the sovereignty of Crown in Parliament so even if 99% of Scots wanted one by 2024 Boris with a UK majority of 80 at Westminster can refuse.

The polling is just a matter of how easy it will be to refuse, Boris will still refuse it regardless as long as he is PM whatever happens at Holyrood in May
    You are not getting this are you. There is nothing wrong in what you say here, but you made a statement earlier as a fact. It was not a fact it was an opinion. It was a perfectly reasonable opinion, but an opinion nevertheless.

I was pointing out why it was an opinion and not a fact by applying logic to it to demonstrate why.

We have been here before. You seem to think that logic is some esoterical topic restricted to mathematicians. It isn't. They may be better at it, but it applies to everyday life as well.
    The only logic that matters under our constitution is the supremacy of Crown in Parliament. Boris has a majority in Parliament of 80 so what Boris says goes, there will be no indyref2 while he remains UK PM with an overall Tory majority.

What the polling shows is only relevant to how much resistance he will face when he refuses to grant the SNP any indyref2 as he will, 43% of Scots not wanting an indyref2 for at least 10 years and 57% only wanting one within 5 years ie after the next general election shows Boris can easily get away with refusing one until 2024 as he will with little resistance bar the SNP hardcore.

HYUFD sigh:

Let's breakdown your post:

1st sentence - why you use the word logic here I don't know as there is no logical construct there whatsoever (not that it is needed). It looks like a statement of fact (I assume it is correct as I don't know have that knowledge)

2nd sentence - is a fact followed by an opinion.

2nd para - is an opinion

Do you know what logic is? Even if not trained in it most people grasp the basics as a matter of routine eg:

A implies B does not mean B implies A, etc.
    I am not interested in replying to yet another of your extremely tedious and boring logic posts.

As I said without the approval of the UK PM logically there can be no legal indyref2 anyway
    But HYUFD you make some brilliant posts, you are full of facts that many do not know and repost some excellent twitter post, particularly on opinion polls.

Yet you don't seem to get why some of your post drive us up the wall and it is not because of differences in political opinion. So for instance I don't actually disagree with you on your recent post; to be honest I don't have an opinion, so I am not arguing with you on your opinion.

I think you opinion is a perfectly valid one and one that I don't disagree with you on.

Has it never crossed you mind why people do get annoyed then with some of your posts? It is because you state opinion as fact, then when it is demonstrated that the fact is an opinion, you give another unrelated opinion to the one in question.

Even your last post does it:

'As I said without the approval of the UK PM logically there can be no legal indyref2 anyway'.

a) It has nothing whatsoever to do with the issue I raised initially
    b) I agree with the point you are making in this sentence.

I did not say '57% of Scots as a matter of fact are happy with no indyref2 until after 2024.'

I said 'Even if 57% want a say in the next 5 years that means by 2026 ie after the next UK general election in 2024' which is a correct factual conclusion from the poll answers given.

It does not bother me what anyone thinks of my posts, if they dislike them so intently move on and respond to someone else's
    You are the most talked about poster - a celeb in other words - and I'm betting that's fine by you. You like being a celeb. You like not being able to do normal posts like normal people without being noticed and bothered and pestered. You remind me of Rod Stewart in this regard.
    Maggie may be the greatest politician to have ever lived, with BJ a close second.
    I think we need a separate ironic like button.
    I've often wished for an eye-roll button.

--AS

TOPPING said:

I can tell you from first hand experience that you can always tell when an Irish ferry has docked in Holyhead, and you are driving out of North Wales, there are convoys of HGVs heading for non stop for the English borders adding to the pollution and noise and traffic congestion

Of course some jobs may go in Holyhead and investment is needed as Angleseys is not in good economic shape at the moment
    "Of course some jobs may go".
  • MattW said:

They do. The HGV levy.

We know about the congestion and pollution and noise

They are people killed by deliberate act of government policy / Tory Party press office.

Murder feels about right. We did warn that relaxing restrictions for Christmas was criminally stupid. And it was.
    Don't forget the Labour/LibDem administration in Wales. They are not doing better than Boris.

Maybe Boris and Mark can share the same prison cell ?
  • Off topic and breaking.

Perhaps they were present but not involved..
  • Looks like Scotland & Wales are letting the side down, pull your fingers out you bunch of workshy layabouts or we'll take away your subsidies.

https://twitter.com/colinrtalbot/status/1351577215474036746
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,591

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    You know that poll was commissioned by James Kelly right, the bloke who you said had somehow finagled the results of his last poll?

Even if 57% want a say in the next 5 years that means by 2026 ie after the next UK general election in 2024.

So most Scots would therefore be fine with Boris refusing an indyref for the rest of this Parliament (though that poll is a Comres poll not the Survation poll from today).

On today's Yougov poll Starmer would then become PM with SNP support and he can give the SNP their indyref along with devomax, it would no longer be Boris' problem.
    'within' does not necessarily mean they will be happy with after 2024 at all. You have jumped to a conclusion there.
    43% of Scots do not even want another indy referendum for at least another 10 years, it would only take about 20% of that 57% to be happy for no indyref until after the next UK general election in 2024 for a majority of Scots to support no indyref until after the next UK general election in 2024.

Regardless, the decision is one for Boris as UK PM, he has ruled one out so there will not be one until 2024 at the earliest if Starmer becomes PM.
    The logic is our constitution is based on the sovereignty of Crown in Parliament so even if 99% of Scots wanted one by 2024 Boris with a UK majority of 80 at Westminster can refuse.

The polling is just a matter of how easy it will be to refuse, Boris will still refuse it regardless as long as he is PM whatever happens at Holyrood in May
    You are not getting this are you. There is nothing wrong in what you say here, but you made a statement earlier as a fact. It was not a fact it was an opinion. It was a perfectly reasonable opinion, but an opinion nevertheless.

I was pointing out why it was an opinion and not a fact by applying logic to it to demonstrate why.

We have been here before. You seem to think that logic is some esoterical topic restricted to mathematicians. It isn't. They may be better at it, but it applies to everyday life as well.
    The only logic that matters under our constitution is the supremacy of Crown in Parliament. Boris has a majority in Parliament of 80 so what Boris says goes, there will be no indyref2 while he remains UK PM with an overall Tory majority.

What the polling shows is only relevant to how much resistance he will face when he refuses to grant the SNP any indyref2 as he will, 43% of Scots not wanting an indyref2 for at least 10 years and 57% only wanting one within 5 years ie after the next general election shows Boris can easily get away with refusing one until 2024 as he will with little resistance bar the SNP hardcore.

HYUFD sigh:

1st sentence - why you use the word logic here I don't know as there is no logical construct there whatsoever (not that it is needed). It looks like a statement of fact (I assume it is correct as I don't know have that knowledge)

2nd para - is an opinion

Do you know what logic is? Even if not trained in it most people grasp the basics as a matter of routine eg:

I am not interested in replying to yet another of your extremely tedious and boring logic posts.

As I said without the approval of the UK PM logically there can be no legal indyref2 anyway
    But HYUFD you make some brilliant posts, you are full of facts that many do not know and repost some excellent twitter post, particularly on opinion polls.

Yet you don't seem to get why some of your post drive us up the wall and it is not because of differences in political opinion. So for instance I don't actually disagree with you on your recent post; to be honest I don't have an opinion, so I am not arguing with you on your opinion.

I think you opinion is a perfectly valid one and one that I don't disagree with you on.

Has it never crossed you mind why people do get annoyed then with some of your posts? It is because you state opinion as fact, then when it is demonstrated that the fact is an opinion, you give another unrelated opinion to the one in question.

'As I said without the approval of the UK PM logically there can be no legal indyref2 anyway'.

I did not say '57% of Scots as a matter of fact are happy with no indyref2 until after 2024.'

I said 'Even if 57% want a say in the next 5 years that means by 2026 ie after the next UK general election in 2024' which is a correct factual conclusion from the poll answers given.

It does not bother me what anyone thinks of my posts, if they dislike them so intently move on and respond to someone else's
    You are the most talked about poster - a celeb in other words - and I'm betting that's fine by you. You like being a celeb. You like not being able to do normal posts like normal people without being noticed and bothered and pestered. You remind me of Rod Stewart in this regard.
    Maggie may be the greatest politician to have ever lived, with BJ a close second.

--AS
    There's an emoji, I believe ?
    Gaussian said:

TOPPING said:

Age related data

Maybe, but you wouldn't be able to tell from that chart, as there are rather more 15-44 year olds than 65-74s.
    vs 45-64yr olds and 85+ yr olds?
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

"Fuck business"
    A well matched couple to the end.

CNN poll: Melania Trump leaving office as least popular first lady ever
    https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/534801-cnn-poll-melania-trump-leaving-office-as-least-popular-first
  • MattW said:

They do. The HGV levy.

We know about the congestion and pollution and noise
    But you're a member of the fuck business party, we know what you're like.

- Jobs in the ports

I would just comment that of the HGV s on the A55 after a ferry has docked they are predominantly Irish
    Where's Rod gone?
  • MattW said:

Off topic and breaking.

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2021-01-19/investigation-senedd-members-held-social-gathering-in-parliament-in-alleged-breach-of-covid-rules
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,182

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

"Fuck business"
    Just in case you thought there might have been a outbreak of competence in the UK government, the new Covid test requirements for entry into the UK state that Covid tests must be in EN, FR or ES AND that translations from other languages will NOT be accepted.

So any country where they do not speak either English, French or Spanish will not have official Covid tests recognized, even if they are translated.

Looks like Scotland & Wales are letting the side down, pull your fingers out you bunch of workshy layabouts or we'll take away your subsidies.

https://twitter.com/colinrtalbot/status/1351577215474036746

Perhaps better expressed thus -

• Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD sigh:

2nd para - is an opinion

--AS
    I am much too old to use emoji. I only speak ASCII :]

--AS
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,785

By date of death, 11/1 currently stands as the second deadliest day of the UK pandemic, 9 deaths behind 8/4/20. And 12-14/1 occupy 3rd-5th position all with 1000 deaths already attributed.

It seems likely that, by a modest margin over the April peak, the deadliest day of the pandemic will ultimately be one day last week.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    Cicero said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

"Fuck business"
    Just in case you thought there might have been a outbreak of competence in the UK government, the new Covid test requirements for entry into the UK state that Covid tests must be in EN, FR or ES AND that translations from other languages will NOT be accepted.

So any country where they do not speak either English, French or Spanish will not have official Covid tests recognized, even if they are translated.
    The translations could be false to gain entry.
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Lord Sumption: the monstering of a lockdown sceptic
    He's been the victim of a bad-faith effort to demonise criticism of government policy.
    Luke Gittos"

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/01/19/lord-sumption-the-monstering-of-a-lockdown-sceptic/

No bad faith about it, good faith criticism.

I mean just look at this correction the Telegraph had to do, he consistently gets basic facts wrong.

Lord Sumption: The simple truth is that lockdowns do not work

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article stated that ' in March Imperial College produced their now "discredited" figure of 510,000 deaths unless drastic action was taken'. In fact, Imperial College predicted 250,000 UK deaths without further intervention. We have amended the opening paragraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2020/12/19/simple-truth-lockdowns-do-not-work/

Lord Sumption is as much an expert on pandemics as I am an expert on the awesomeness of putting pineapple on pizza.
    He seems to be a case study in how undoubted intellect in one field does not make an expert in another - and how even the great intellects make common, petty errors (or delibately misrepresent) when they are pushing a position rather than care about assessing things.

I wouldn't even mind that so much, I own several of his books, if not for the 'I'm being picked on' whinging like a baby stuff that people indulge in.
    Totally agree. Self-pitying Sumption. It's most unedifying.
    TOPPING said:

Gaussian said:

TOPPING said:

Age related data

The 85+ get infected in care homes, and many of the 45-64 have to go to work.
  • Cicero said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

"Fuck business"

baise l'entreprise!

You are being ridiculous

Christmas was agreed by the four nations so by your judgement (and not sure how you qualify to be an independent judge on this) Sturgeon, Drakeford and Foster are equally culpable
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082
    Cicero said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

"Fuck business"

Should close down the borders effectively then!

• eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Stocky said:

Cicero said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

"Fuck business"

The translations could be false to gain entry.
    Have they never heard of google translate? Heck Microsoft have a ios app that does it on any text you point the phone's camera at
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

I mentioned this the other day.

Widespread coronavirus vaccination risks ‘day before Armistice’ wave of infections, experts warn

Widespread vaccination risks a “day before Armistice” wave of infections and deaths as people relax social distancing too quickly, senior government advisers have warned.

Only 44 per cent of people said they would follow the rules after vaccination, down from 65 per cent who said they were currently abiding by advice on hygiene and social distancing, according to surveys carried out by the Behavioural Insights Team, known as the “nudge unit”.

David Halpern, the unit’s head, who sits on the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), said he was very worried that people would “drop their guard” once they were vaccinated and dramatically increase their social contact.

People need to realise that it takes at least a couple of weeks for protection to kick in and not think they are “good to go” as soon as they get the jab, Dr Halpern told MPs today.

Stephen Reicher, who sits on the government’s SPI-B behavioural advisory group, said vaccinators should make this clear to people as they jabbed, calling for a public information campaign urging the immunised to follow the rules.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/widespread-coronavirus-vaccination-risks-day-before-armistice-wave-of-infections-experts-warn-x3xsfwkbt

I still don't understand what they expect can be done about it. This is not a situation where communications have been unclear, I suspected a further public information campaign would have limited impact.
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

In fairness complete the sentences rather than quote out of context

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD sigh:

2nd para - is an opinion

--AS

--AS
    & # x 1 f 6 4 4 ;
    without the spaces.

Thus 🙄
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD sigh:

2nd para - is an opinion

--AS
    🙄

Don't forget the Labour/LibDem administration in Wales. They are not doing better than Boris.

Maybe Boris and Mark can share the same prison cell ?
    They are doing worse, a lot worse
    Gaussian said:

TOPPING said:

Gaussian said:

TOPPING said:

Age related data

so easy to analyse!
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,547

Brexit has seen a massive and rapid switch of supply in Ireland from the UK to the Continent. It's not just continental traffic using the Land Bridge. UK exports to Ireland have collapsed. There are just a handful of trucks on each sailing from Holyhead now.

The interesting point is that we can put a price on the extra barriers to trade. The new 24 hour crossings from France will come higher ticket prices than the three hour crossings from Wales. You have to pay a day's extra rent on the truck and trailer and also for the driver time. Even so it's worth it to avoid importing from the UK.

Not sure what's going to happen the other way. It will be hurting Ireland's exports as well. I think the problem is they are not getting the flow of trucks to do the round trip to the UK.
    The impeachment has already occurred - the Senate will now hold a trial and by the sounds of it Trump is going to be found guilty
    edited January 2021
    Sounds like keeping the pressure on. I can believe he could tip that way, but it depends on how Trump acts about it after he is out of office as well as in - I expect he wants Trump to not interfere much in the party. It'd be nice to think Mitch found the line not to be crossed though.

His words on mandates makes me think it is a warning to Biden that if he tries too much too fast, he won't convict. Not sure Biden would mind, he has other things to worry about.
  • Cicero said:

Isn't that the same as any standard vaccination certificate, for example? Except that IIRC they are usually in French and English only, so the addition of Spanish is helpful.
  • kle4 said:

I still don't understand what they expect can be done about it. This is not a situation where communications have been unclear, I suspected a further public information campaign would have limited impact.
    I suspect they need to reinforce the message that

1) The vaccine is not a cure for catching Covid-19

2) There will be a lag between the all the vulnerable being vaccinated and lockdown being fully lifted
  • TOPPING said:

Gaussian said:

TOPPING said:

Age related data

Aren't the 85+ year olds the lowest group there? Are you misreading it because 15-44 yos are also in blue?

For the 45-64 yos, that's twice as wide a group than 65-74 (and probably more than twice as large). It's also a group which is more likely to need to go to work, is more likely to have children going to school and coming home and so on. So not necessarily indicative of being "well behaved".
    TOPPING said:

Gaussian said:

TOPPING said:

Gaussian said:

TOPPING said:

Age related data

so easy to analyse!
    Quite. "The 65-74yr olds seem to have been particularly well behaved."
    edited January 2021

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

"Fuck business"
    If you want to provide the cost/benefit analysis for Wales, then I am interested to see it.

Let those people who want trucks trundling along the A55 demonstrate that it is in Wales' benefit.

How much of the £1.55 per truck comes to Wales.

If it is done pro rata on population, its is 1.55*3/66 .... 7p

So, Wales gets 7p per Irish truck that trundles along the A55. Seven pence a truck ... and we have GeorgeOsborneGenius to thank for this, along with TSE and George's Gang.

That isn't breaking even.

If the Irish want their trucks to trundle through Wales, they need to pay decent money -- otherwise let them use the sea.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719
    MattW said:

Off topic and breaking.

They were meeting to discuss a bill with the Labour AM, it was hardly a huge party

In London and most of the SE they weren't relaxed, you were not allowed to meet anyone outside your bubble even on Christmas Day
    Apparently the court showed leniency, reducing the sentence by half in return for a guilty plea...
    https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1351568851624984577

kle4 said:

2) There will be a lag between the all the vulnerable being vaccinated and lockdown being fully lifted
    I'm sure that is right, I just suspect it won't have that much more of an effect on behaviour.

kle4 said:

The evidence from Israel is that the antibody levels a week after the second Pfizer are high enough to prevent transmission.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-hospital-98-of-staff-who-got-2nd-shot-have-high-level-covid-antibodies/

TOPPING said:

Look around Anglesey and it is hard to imagine it has ever been in good economic shape. Still, a lovely place to see Chough.
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD sigh:

2nd para - is an opinion

The identification of HYUFD with Rod Stewart is just the sort of offbeat entertainment anyone might ask for on a drab weekday afternoon.
    Rod Stewart is the person I tend to first think of when I think about celebrity. Reason being because he used to eat at a chinese restaurant that I also used a lot and I often saw him there with his entourage. Always a frisson around his table and you could tell he was very comfortable with the whole star thing. I don't mean this in a bad way, just that he liked it.

I wonder if @HYUFD is actually a Rod Stewart fan. That would be quite something if he is, given what we now know.
    Rod was a fellow Epping Forest resident and he votes Tory I understand
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,287
    BBC surprised that only 1% of university professors are black. The percentage of people in the general population who are black is about 2%, but you get the impression the people writing the article in London haven't checked on that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-55723120
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I'm sure that is right, I just suspect it won't have that much more of an effect on behaviour.
    It will if you keep certain things closed for an extra few weeks.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,780
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Closest neighbour. Hm, do they not recognise the existence of the UK or something? :p
    Closest 🇪🇺 neighbour, presumably shorthand for EU. Perhaps you haven't noticed that we have left?
    Surely Belgium is France's closest EU neighbour...
    Nigelb said:

Apparently the court showed leniency, reducing the sentence by half in return for a guilty plea...

I understand Prince Andrew is lobbying for a similar law here....
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853

TOPPING said:

Look around Anglesey and it is hard to imagine it has ever been in good economic shape. Still, a lovely place to see Chough.
    Wylfa / Anglesey Aluminium...
  • Andy_JS said:

BBC surprised that only 1% of university professors are black. The percentage of people in the general population who are black is about 2%, but you get the impression the people writing the article in London haven't checked on that.

It's actually 3.3%.
    A shared taste in refined interior decoration ?

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1351547946874130436
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

"Fuck business"
    If you want to provide the cost/benefit analysis for Wales, then I am interested to see it.

Let those people who want trucks trundling along the A55 demonstrate that it is in Wales' benefit.

So, Wales gets 7p per Irish truck that trundles along the A55. Seven pence a truck ... and we have GeorgeOsborneGenius to thank for this, along with TSE and George's Gang.

If the Irish want their trucks to trundle through Wales, they need to pay decent money -- otherwise let them use the sea.
    So, not "fuck business!", but "hooray for turnpikes!"
    Still, it's good to know this is all being done in the name of free trade or something.
  • Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD sigh:

2nd para - is an opinion

--AS

--AS
    & # x 1 f 6 4 4 ;
    without the spaces.

Thus 🙄
    What is this witchcraft - unicode? Not on my browser, thank you very much!

7-bit ASCII is good enough for Don Knuth, so I refuse to recognize the existence of characters beyond it...

--AS
    edited January 2021
    Foxy said:

I see Brexit is going well for the fishermen. Not sure those votes are in the bag for SCON.

https://twitter.com/scotfoodjames/status/1351491482063171588?s=19

Also, kicking out Leonard seems popular.

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1351569785419665410?s=19

SNP only 3% up on their 2019 Westminster total and only 1.5% up on their 2016 Holyrood total on that poll and in danger of failing to win an outright majority in May
  • Fascinating piece by Osborne on IndyRef2:

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/nationalism-union-brexit-b900299.html

[Spoiler: He rather sides with @HYUFD's view...]
  • Andy_JS said:

Not exactly setting an example, are you?

"The most recent Census in 2011 highlights that in England and Wales, 80 per cent of the population were white British. Asian (Pakistani, Indian, Bangladeshi, other) ‘groups’ made up 6.8 per cent of the population; black groups 3.4 per cent; Chinese groups 0.7 cent,Arab groups 0.4 per cent and other groups 0.6 per cent."

https://irr.org.uk/research/statistics/ethnicity-and-religion/

TOPPING said:

Gaussian said:

TOPPING said:

Age related data

Aren't the 85+ year olds the lowest group there? Are you misreading it because 15-44 yos are also in blue?

For the 45-64 yos, that's twice as wide a group than 65-74 (and probably more than twice as large). It's also a group which is more likely to need to go to work, is more likely to have children going to school and coming home and so on. So not necessarily indicative of being "well behaved".
    Ah. Aha! Quite possibly!
    Nigelb said:

The new Thai king is really going for the Louis XVI option...
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,780

With a few minor adjustments this could easily be the lead in to an opinion piece in the Tele by a Tory minister

https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/1351537398564286466?s=20

Wasn't Jefferson, a founder, in favour of a bit of Jacobinism in his day?

What about individual-ism, patriot-ism... etc...
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I bet you can't guess who's been doing the urging.

'Next Scottish Labour leader urged to join Tories in fight against SNP'

https://twitter.com/HTScotPol/status/1351504113004064768?s=20

The SNP? 😉
    kle4 said:

Sounds like keeping the pressure on. I can believe he could tip that way, but it depends on how Trump acts about it after he is out of office as well as in - I expect he wants Trump to not interfere much in the party. It'd be nice to think Mitch found the line not to be crossed though.

His words on mandates makes me think it is a warning to Biden that if he tries too much too fast, he won't convict. Not sure Biden would mind, he has other things to worry about.
    Biden isn't going to rush the impeachment trial, there are 100 days (minimum) of far more important things to do first
  • Andy_JS said:

It's actually 3.3%.
    Although you'd need to adjust for age to make a fair comparison.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

"Fuck business"

Which would be fine if it were simply the through traffic.
    It isn't.
    rcs1000 said:

With a few minor adjustments this could easily be the lead in to an opinion piece in the Tele by a Tory minister

https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/1351537398564286466?s=20

Wasn't Jefferson, a founder, in favour of a bit of Jacobinism in his day?

What about individual-ism, patriot-ism... etc...

Exceptionalism.
This discussion has been closed.