Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Now is the time for right wing journals to retrospectively adjust articles on Trump – politicalbetti

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2021 in General
Now is the time for right wing journals to retrospectively adjust articles on Trump – politicalbetting.com

Well well well. The Spectator have changed the headline on @DouglasKMurray’s article on Trump in 2016 from “Donald Trump won't be as bad as you think” to “It’s time to consider the real Trump”This URL was the original, it now redirects (note the url): https://t.co/MPIx7nb5ZB pic.twitter.com/EXTTBuDpbR

Read the full story here

Comments

• SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,227
    edited January 2021
    Was this common practice when that great journalist Boris Johnson was at the helm?

Interesting they took the time to change the header, but NOT the subhead, which looks far less than prescient today . . . or for the last four years for that matter.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Well that's just plain stupid. Someone is always going to notice such a thing. Have they never heard of the Streisand effect?
  • 1984 is an instruction manual for the Spectator.

I note the Spectator engaged in some pretty bad Covid-19 data wrangling and denialism, I suspect all those pieces will go through a similar update.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2021
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Number of claims there, but the one that seems weirdest to me is the one summarised as a claim some countries 'forgot' to join the order for one vaccine, when I'd have thought the whole point of an EU scheme would be you don't have to join such an order, it happens automatically.

But it seems most places are going to have lessons learned at various different parts of Covid response, we certainly do.
    https://twitter.com/olivernmoody/status/1348351187108720643
    That thread is classic of the worse aspects of the EU....

EU decides Pfizer one is too risky and too expensive. Germany come in and throw its weight around and says we have to have the German one, because Germany is in the EU. The French then say, well if we are having the German one, we have to have the French one. MEP tasked with overseeing this, but no idea what is going on.

We have to order this as one right...right...Germany then orders a load for themselves.
    Yes, that is Why Brexit distilled into pure spirit.

If we'd still been in the EU, following orders, we'd have meekly obeyed the Commission, ordered 7 trillion Sanofi jabs to keep Paris happy, stuck by the rules, fair play and cricket and all that, and then watched in amazement as Germany and - to a lesser extent France - secretly pinched a billion Pfizer/AZ jabs of their own, even if France is never going to use them
    And of course we wouldn't have bought much of the AZN one, it wouldn't yet be approved, and we would be sitting on our hands waiting. And if Boris / Hancock had tried to do any side deal, the Guardian would have got a leak and government screamed at for undermining the EU collective responsibility pact.....think of the poorer EU countries.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262
    edited January 2021
    That's brilliant!

Mind you, hasn't their commisioning editor's husband got history doing something similar?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/26/dominic-cummings-faces-questions-over-claim-he-warned-last-year-of-virus-threat
  • Leon said:

kle4 said:

Number of claims there, but the one that seems weirdest to me is the one summarised as a claim some countries 'forgot' to join the order for one vaccine, when I'd have thought the whole point of an EU scheme would be you don't have to join such an order, it happens automatically.

But it seems most places are going to have lessons learned at various different parts of Covid response, we certainly do.

EU decides Pfizer one is too risky and too expensive. Germany come in and throw its weight around and says we have to have the German one, because Germany is in the EU. The French then say, well if we are having the German one, we have to have the French one. MEP tasked with overseeing this, but no idea what is going on.

We have to order this as one right...right...Germany then orders a load for themselves.

If we'd still been in the EU, following orders, we'd have meekly obeyed the Commission, ordered 7 trillion Sanofi jabs to keep Paris happy, stuck by the rules, fair play and cricket and all that, and then watched in amazement as Germany and - to a lesser extent France - secretly pinched a billion Pfizer/AZ jabs of their own, even if France is never going to use them
    And of course we wouldn't have bought much of the AZN one, it wouldn't yet be approved, and we would be sitting on our hands waiting.
    Were we not bound by the same rules as every EU country prior to the end of the year?

Was this common practice when that great journalist Boris Johnson was at the helm?

I think Boris is ballsy enough to simply state the opposite and ignore when people point out the discrepency.

This is a man who tried to convince us he wrote two different versions of an article as a thought exercise apparently. Rather than the simpler explanation he wanted to cover his arse.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206

1984 is an instruction manual for the Spectator.

I note the Spectator engaged in some pretty bad Covid-19 data wrangling and denialism, I suspect all those pieces will go through a similar update.

Except, it isn't just the Speccie that does this,

About 10-15 years ago the New Statesman published a piece by a Muslim journalist, written in a jocular spirit, about the first reports of organised Muslim grooming of underage girls.

The article was light hearted and candid, at this point Rotherham hadn't happened and the whole thing was regarded as a Nick Griffin stunt.

The journalist admitted it wasn't a stunt, entirely, and made this amazing admission: "Every Muslim man I know is aware of this, we've all been told, 'I know where I can get you a young white girl, just ask'", he then went on to say it was a crinkle of multiculturalism, not a big problem, let's move on.

Since then the article has been deleted from history. Completely erased. It never existed.

I imagine many journals do this, in the age of the internet and cancel culture. On Left and Right
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Israel's vaccination effort is officially called "Operation Returning to Life" I believe.
    Aw, so they weren't really stupid? That's a shame. Though they've had some decent stuff, I used to live in a house with a subscription.
    edited January 2021

Israel's vaccination effort is officially called "Operation Returning to Life" I believe.

Talk about overpromising!

I suppose 'Operation Resurrection' was too on the nose. But 'Operation Lazarus' was also available.
    edited January 2021
    Too late, it is now "fact"....just like the government having spent £6 trillion on rapid tests, etc.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    That it was twitter bollocks all along?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    One wonders if Mike will retrospectively adjust his post...
    Well then you'd better hurriedly delete your headline and pretend it never existed.

LOL
  • Why won’t everyone just MOVE ON?

Has happened before. Ahem. None is perfect, not even OGH.
    kle4 said:

Has happened before. Ahem. None is perfect, not even OGH.
    I remember the Dewey beats Truman thread. Good times.
  • Israel's vaccination effort is officially called "Operation Returning to Life" I believe.

Returning to *normal* life perhaps?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279

Why won’t everyone just MOVE ON?

+1
    If the header is to be re-written while keeping the tone, I'd propose suggesting many right wing writers may want to consider asjusting their old pieces in the wake of the recent events, to disguise their adoration of Trump. William's provided some tweets to illustrate the point.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Have we heard from the President?
    Take away his Twitter and he's too lazy to communicate?
    Or something more serious?

Returning to *normal* life perhaps?
    It's "חוזרים לחיים" in Hebrew if you want to do some digging. :D
  • Leon said:

kle4 said:

And of course we wouldn't have bought much of the AZN one, it wouldn't yet be approved, and we would be sitting on our hands waiting.
    Were we not bound by the same rules as every EU country prior to the end of the year?
    No. Not in this instance. We had already left the EMA when we left the EU back on 31st January. The transition was only in certain previously agreed areas.

What is really worrying about all of this is that there was apparently provision for countries to do their own thing as far as approving vaccinations and starting jabbing was concerned. Under emergency clauses they only had to decide to do so and inform the EMA. No country chose to do so. Even as a strong Brexiteer I am not sure how you can blame this one directly on the EU.

I know there have been complaints from some EU countries including Germany that Merkel and others made a decision not to have Germany break ranks as they wanted to make some grand gesture of EU efficiency and unity but that would be a decision made by the leaders of those countries not imposed on them by the EU.
    edited January 2021
    No, it's still up with the title:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/donald-trump-won-t-be-as-bad-as-you-think

As has been pointed out, one is probably the online version, whereas one is the printed version.

This really is twitter bollocks.

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,594

Leon said:

kle4 said:

And of course we wouldn't have bought much of the AZN one, it wouldn't yet be approved, and we would be sitting on our hands waiting. And if Boris / Hancock had tried to do any side deal, the Guardian would have got a leak and government screamed at for undermining the EU collective responsibility pact.....think of the poorer EU countries.
    The special sauce would have been that going the EU route would have been really voluntary, but interpreted by the mandarins here as carved in stone.

And the French would have looked on incredulous - "What kind of idiot follows rules against the interest of their nation?"
  • I stand (or rather sit) corrected.

Doesn't happen often. No more than once an hour!
    edited January 2021
    Apparently the 18th January 1934 issue of the Daily Mail now has the headline:

"Horror of the Blackshirts"

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rothermere_-_Hurrah_for_the_Blackshirts.jpg
  • I have a "Business Law and Practice" exam in the morning. Wish me luck. :|

Best of luck old chap. Or young chap?

I have a "Business Law and Practice" exam in the morning. Wish me luck. :|

Best of luck. You'll smash it.
  • Speaking of past praise of The Donald, has Nick Farange made any sort of a statement re: the Trumpsky Putsch?

OR is he still waiting for his expense reimbursements for stumping with his hero (if he didn't pay his own way)?

Good luck! You'll be great.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557

Didn’t someone here recently claim it to be the finest weekly political magazine in the world, or some such ?

You MAY get extra credit IF you can work the fine old law firm "Dewey, Cheatem and Howe" into one or more answers.

Leon said:

kle4 said:

No. Not in this instance. We had already left the EMA when we left the EU back on 31st January. The transition was only in certain previously agreed areas.

What is really worrying about all of this is that there was apparently provision for countries to do their own thing as far as approving vaccinations and starting jabbing was concerned. Under emergency clauses they only had to decide to do so and inform the EMA. No country chose to do so. Even as a strong Brexiteer I am not sure how you can blame this one directly on the EU.

I know there have been complaints from some EU countries including Germany that Merkel and others made a decision not to have Germany break ranks as they wanted to make some grand gesture of EU efficiency and unity but that would be a decision made by the leaders of those countries not imposed on them by the EU.
    No, it can very much be blamed on the EU because this joint EU vax programme was devised as a way of showing the virtues of EU unity, after Brexit.

It was not "imposed" as you rightly say, but the faults of the EU - as a quasi-Federation that is simultaneously powerless yet intellectually all-pervasive - are at the heart of the fuck up. Also, it shows the hopeless internecine bargaining that underlies much EU stupidity.

Why should Poles or Czechs or Irish have to wait for a decent vaccine, that they can afford, just so that France can make sure its pharma company Sanofi gets some huge orders, even though their vaccine is, so far, unapproved shite?

I have a "Business Law and Practice" exam in the morning. Wish me luck. :|

You MAY get extra credit IF you can work the fine old law firm "Dewey, Cheatem and Howe" into one or more answers.
    I'll try to get them into every answer to ensure full marks!
  • Nigelb said:

Didn’t someone here recently claim it to be the finest weekly political magazine in the world, or some such ?
    It probably is. The trouble is that is a reflection of how bad the rest are rather than how good the Speccie is.
    Has anyone ever watched a 70's series called 'UFO' - it's an old Gerry Anderson Sci Fi series where the earth's defence against the alien threat is based in a film studio in what looks like Coventry. It's live action but with puppets/miniatures used for the space combat/flight scenes. :lol:

It is *awful* in the best way possible.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT3X6AAprD0

Discovered on Britbox.

• SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,227
    edited January 2021
    Leon said:

Well then you'd better hurriedly delete your headline and pretend it never existed.

LOL
    You have that right. But at least give ME partial credit, for noting that there had been no (supposed) change to the subhead. Which personally thought was more ludicrous (certainly in today's hindsight) than the headline.

As for OGH, he didn't actually SAY that TS had change its headline, just posted someone else's tweet saying that. And that now WOULD be the time for rightwing rags to make changes, not that they SHOULD.

Which is superior argument, methinks, to the BS that Rudi, Hawley, Cruz et all are pumping out in their own self-justification.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    From 15th onwards the atmosphere sinks. Towards end of the month -15C to -20C and heavy snowfall looking likely for the UK, and well into February. Sudden stratospheric warming bombs the polar vortex - meaning high pressure builds over most of western Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR1TQeS7X52apuF0UNiqHmD3Gn1MxD3qKvQR5ONd4higIVHT31Pbwf5Xu7Y&v=jjMejodSmcQ&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=MarkVogan

Probably good news for keeping the Covidiots indoors to reduce the R. Not so good for rolling out the vaccination programme. Plus huge extra burden on A&E with slip fractures.

Might also see how putting your eggs in the wind/solar basket is going to look unwise, with many inches of snow on the solar panels and high pressure meaning the wind turbines aren't turning....

However, the tides will still be - oh, that's right, this stupid fucking Government hasn't seen fit to invest in tidal power.

• Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

No, it can very much be blamed on the EU because this joint EU vax programme was devised as a way of showing the virtues of EU unity, after Brexit.

It was not "imposed" as you rightly say, but the faults of the EU - as a quasi-Federation that is simultaneously powerless yet intellectually all-pervasive - are at the heart of the fuck up. Also, it shows the hopeless internecine bargaining that underlies much EU stupidity.

Why should Poles or Czechs or Irish have to wait for a decent vaccine, that they can afford, just so that France can make sure its pharma company Sanofi gets some huge orders, even though their vaccine is, so far, unapproved shite?
    But the leaders of those countries had a clear choice to not follow the rest and to deal with things themselves. I really don't think Poland and Hungary could have been forced to do so given their recent attitude to the EU.

I am all for blaming the EU where it is guilty but in this case I think most of the blame lies with the individual countries.

Has anyone ever watched a 70's series called 'UFO' - it's an old Gerry Anderson Sci Fi series where the earth's defence against the alien threat is based in a film studio in what looks like Coventry. It's live action but with puppets/miniatures used for the space combat/flight scenes. :lol:

Discovered on Britbox.

Loved it as a kid.
    The idea of revisiting it does not appeal, somehow.

Discovered on Britbox.

Think I watched it first time round. Not a patch on Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons.
  • I know him: Nigel Biggar was a fairly standard Anglican priest who was chaplain of Oriel at the end of my time there. What has he been up to now?
  • FPT re ambulances and sport. According to a post that has just appeared on the Betfair forum, rumours are also circulating on Twitter.

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

But the leaders of those countries had a clear choice to not follow the rest and to deal with things themselves. I really don't think Poland and Hungary could have been forced to do so given their recent attitude to the EU.

I am all for blaming the EU where it is guilty but in this case I think most of the blame lies with the individual countries.
    They are not forced, but as supplicants in need of EU money, there is always that pressure, and of course they are already in the doghouse for their "un-EU behaviour"

And they don't have Germany's cash, either, so once having committed to the EU common vax scheme it is more difficult for them to simultaneously make unilateral deals with Pfizer/Moderna/AZ

This could turn into an enormous scandal, if poorer, smaller EU nations end up still vaccinating in 2022 whereas Germany and France are fine by the autumn
    Nigelb said:

Discovered on Britbox.

Loved it as a kid.
    Great period theme tune though.

FPT re ambulances and sport. According to a post that has just appeared on the Betfair forum, rumours are also circulating on Twitter.

They could have started here of course. :wink:
    Nigelb said:

Discovered on Britbox.

Loved it as a kid.
    It is a fun period piece now.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

They are not forced, but as supplicants in need of EU money, there is always that pressure, and of course they are already in the doghouse for their "un-EU behaviour"

And they don't have Germany's cash, either, so once having committed to the EU common vax scheme it is more difficult for them to simultaneously make unilateral deals with Pfizer/Moderna/AZ

This could turn into an enormous scandal, if poorer, smaller EU nations end up still vaccinating in 2022 whereas Germany and France are fine by the autumn
    I can feel the hope building in your every post.
  • Has anyone ever watched a 70's series called 'UFO' - it's an old Gerry Anderson Sci Fi series where the earth's defence against the alien threat is based in a film studio in what looks like Coventry. It's live action but with puppets/miniatures used for the space combat/flight scenes. :lol:

Discovered on Britbox.

SO in which century did the Nehru jacket make a come back?
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited January 2021

Discovered on Britbox.

I loved it as a kid (I had Dinky models of an Interceptor and a brace of Space:1999 Eagles) and binge rewatched it a year or two back on one of the streaming services here. I came to the conclusion that even by the low standards of Gerry Anderson series leads, Ed Straker is a truly abysmal leader.
  • Has anyone ever watched a 70's series called 'UFO' - it's an old Gerry Anderson Sci Fi series where the earth's defence against the alien threat is based in a film studio in what looks like Coventry. It's live action but with puppets/miniatures used for the space combat/flight scenes. :lol:

Discovered on Britbox.

Some of us were there first time round! This was top of the list for at least one Christmas.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=122137026096&category=180277&pm=1&ds=0&t=1516804828000&ver=0
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

And to think, some newspapers were demanding the UK join for what I can only imagine were ideological reasons.
  • From 15th onwards the atmosphere sinks. Towards end of the month -15C to -20C and heavy snowfall looking likely for the UK, and well into February. Sudden stratospheric warming bombs the polar vortex - meaning high pressure builds over most of western Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR1TQeS7X52apuF0UNiqHmD3Gn1MxD3qKvQR5ONd4higIVHT31Pbwf5Xu7Y&v=jjMejodSmcQ&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=MarkVogan

Probably good news for keeping the Covidiots indoors to reduce the R. Not so good for rolling out the vaccination programme. Plus huge extra burden on A&E with slip fractures.

Might also see how putting your eggs in the wind/solar basket is going to look unwise, with many inches of snow on the solar panels and high pressure meaning the wind turbines aren't turning....

However, the tides will still be - oh, that's right, this stupid fucking Government hasn't seen fit to invest in tidal power.

Echoes of King Cnut? At least HE became a believer!
    RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

And to think, some newspapers were demanding the UK join for what I can only imagine were ideological reasons.
    I'm trying to think of a phrase that could best describe the right reaction to the EU vax scheme, for any individual nation.

Oh, wait, here it is

Better Off Out
    edited January 2021
    BBC News - Covid: Protect family incomes, Starmer urges ministers

In his first speech of the year, he will demand that teachers, the armed forces and care workers are left out of the public sector pay freeze.

Sir Keir will also call on ministers not to end the temporary £20-a-week boost to Universal Credit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55611208

I can see the government U-turn incoming after taking weeks of bad headlines generated by stories pushed by everybody from Gordon to Marcus.

Discovered on Britbox.

The 'fashion' is one of the best things - it is set in 1980 (very near at hand when it was filmed), but the 'fashion' is wierdly (70's) futuristic.

For some reason the ladies at the controls of the moonbase all have purple hair too. We are never told why. It's most bizarre.
    https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk03TLmEmxUU9pX0Vcnc-_6aKUK5QqA:1610320898346&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=ufo+purple+hair&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwicx_rowJLuAhVNPBoKHeTHCgQQjJkEegQIAhAB&biw=1280&bih=610
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Discovered on Britbox.

Some of us were there first time round! This was top of the list for at least one Christmas.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=122137026096&category=180277&pm=1&ds=0&t=1516804828000&ver=0
    You and me both :smiley:
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    Is it ok to say it’s ‘Orwellian’ when disapproving of a right wing person or publication doing something 1984ish?
    Nigelb said:

Discovered on Britbox.

Loved it as a kid.
    I did try to revisit it - some things are best left as fond memories

Discovered on Britbox.

The 'fashion' is one of the best things - it is set in 1980 (very near at hand when it was filmed), but the 'fashion' is wierdly (70's) futuristic.

For some reason the ladies at the controls of the moonbase all have purple hair too. We are never told why. It's most bizarre.
    https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk03TLmEmxUU9pX0Vcnc-_6aKUK5QqA:1610320898346&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=ufo+purple+hair&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwicx_rowJLuAhVNPBoKHeTHCgQQjJkEegQIAhAB&biw=1280&bih=610
    The short answer is because Silvia Anderson designed the costumes and liked the look of the purple wigs. If I recall correctly she hand-waved some explanation about the wigs being to prevent the build up of static electricity in the moonbase.

And I don’t think the purple wigs were as egregious as the string vests worn by SHADO’s naval officers on the Skydiver.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited January 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Perhaps, although sheer self-interest will mean France and Germany will want to eradicate the disease in any country with whom they share a border.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    edited January 2021

I know him: Nigel Biggar was a fairly standard Anglican priest who was chaplain of Oriel at the end of my time there. What has he been up to now?
    A bit of light British Imperial revisionism here, some following of right wing Brexity types on twitter there. Also sometime contributor to Unionist backwater These Islands.
    rpjs said:

Discovered on Britbox.

I loved it as a kid (I had Dinky models of an Interceptor and a brace of Space:1999 Eagles) and binge rewatched it a year or two back on one of the streaming services here. I came to the conclusion that even by the low standards of Gerry Anderson series leads, Ed Straker is a truly abysmal leader.
    How is he particularly abysmal (interested, not disagreeing) - except his uniform policy of string vests and romper suits.

:lol: Watching an episode right now and they are sleeping on clear, inflatable pillows - because naturally in the future we will all be doing that - so comfy.
  • One of the el-cheapo broadcast TV stations here recently binge-broadcast "Space 1999" staring Martin Landau and Barbara Bain.

Was VERY interesting visually, and had a very surreal feel. Occasionally interesting but mostly not, mainly because it was also VERY slow moving (in that quintessentially British way I associate with UK crime dramas on PBS).

The acting was, in a word, subdued. The was some chemistry between husband & wife Landau & Bain (though their marriage did not survive to the real 1999) but again it was subdued.

As for the plots, cannot remember now what any of them were about, except something about running out of life support or some-such, hardly what you'd call epic.

Wonder if PB Brits and maybe others remember this?
    So you just changed your headline???

• isam said:

Is it ok to say it’s ‘Orwellian’ when disapproving of a right wing person or publication doing something 1984ish?

I would say so. Orwell was, I think, pretty clear that both sides could sink to such levels if we weren't careful. I find it amusing that each side always tries to claim that he was talking about the other. He was brighter than that.

One of the el-cheapo broadcast TV stations here recently binge-broadcast "Space 1999" staring Martin Landau and Barbara Bain.

Was VERY interesting visually, and had a very surreal feel. Occasionally interesting but mostly not, mainly because it was also VERY slow moving (in that quintessentially British way I associate with UK crime dramas on PBS).

The acting was, in a word, subdued. The was some chemistry between husband & wife Landau & Bain (though their marriage did not survive to the real 1999) but again it was subdued.

As for the plots, cannot remember now what any of them were about, except something about running out of life support or some-such, hardly what you'd call epic.

I remember it - Watched it as a kid and loved it at the time
  • Floater said:

One of the el-cheapo broadcast TV stations here recently binge-broadcast "Space 1999" staring Martin Landau and Barbara Bain.

I remember it - Watched it as a kid and loved it at the time
    It did have the very best spacecraft. The design of those Eagles was a touch of genius.

Discovered on Britbox.

I used to watch it, but I was about 9 or 10 at the time, in my defence.
    edited January 2021
    Watching feed of more national guard still deploying into Washington

https://twitter.com/CarlWillisTV/status/1348410030828249089

• dixiedean said:

Have we heard from the President?
    Take away his Twitter and he's too lazy to communicate?
    Or something more serious?

nineteen shots over, tricky bunker on the sixth. Three irons broken in frustration and the secret service instructed to track down the course designer and randomise his patellas.

Apparently that series came after this one (same producers) and was its spiritual successor. Might watch that next, I think that's on this service too.
  • Speaking of British TV, over here am anticipating upcoming viewing of new "All Creatures Great and Small" TV show featuring the late, great Diana Rigg as Mrs Pumphrey.

Loved the original series, also broadcast on PBS. And fell in love with Dame Diana as an impressionable youth watching her on "The Avengers". Her grace, charm and sheer class (in the best sense) appealed to me greatly - but it was the cat suit that really sold me!
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Speaking of British TV, over here am anticipating upcoming viewing of new "All Creatures Great and Small" TV show featuring the late, great Diana Rigg as Mrs Pumphrey.

Loved the original series, also broadcast on PBS. And fell in love with Dame Diana as an impressionable youth watching her on "The Avengers". Her grace, charm and sheer class (in the best sense) appealed to me greatly - but it was the cat suit that really sold me!

It’s film in Grassington rather than Askrigh and Hawes (due to wanting suitable locations).

Mrs Eek would also like to apologies for the planning notice that you can see in a few shots
    Floater said:

Discovered on Britbox.

You and me both :smiley:
    Damn, I had one of those, too.

Inspiration for the MLRS system ?

Speaking of British TV, over here am anticipating upcoming viewing of new "All Creatures Great and Small" TV show featuring the late, great Diana Rigg as Mrs Pumphrey.

The Hellfire Club episode ? :smile:
    Nigelb said:

Wasn't the Touch of Brimstone' episode banned in the States? That's a treat in store for SeaShanty to discover now. :lol:

Discovered on Britbox.

Discovered on Britbox.

Heck, out here in God's Country (Seattle) think half of the young women working in shores, cafes, etc. have purple or blue hair. Always reminds me of cotton candy like the kind you get at a carnival or county fair.
    edited January 2021
    eek said:

It’s film in Grassington rather than Askrigh and Hawes (due to wanting suitable locations).

Mrs Eek would also like to apologies for the planning notice that you can see in a few shots
    Which is.... where?

• No 10 considers a tougher lockdown 'with curfews, exercise limits, compulsory masks outside, no support bubbles and nurseries shut' if Covid cases keep rising' - amid suggestion 'people may only be allowed to leave home ONCE a week'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9131613/Is-lockdown-TOUGHER-Matt-Hancock-refuses-rule-curfews-closing-nurseries.html
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753
    Floater said:

Watching feed of more national guard still deploying into Washington

https://twitter.com/CarlWillisTV/status/1348410030828249089

Well CNN did say on Wednesday that they had been deployed even although they couldn't find any.

In her beautiful youth Diana Rigg was possibly one of the loveliest women ever to grace the screen. Up there with a young Catherine Deneuve or Audrey Hepburn.

And funny. And smart. RIP

No 10 considers a tougher lockdown 'with curfews, exercise limits, compulsory masks outside, no support bubbles and nurseries shut' if Covid cases keep rising' - amid suggestion 'people may only be allowed to leave home ONCE a week'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9131613/Is-lockdown-TOUGHER-Matt-Hancock-refuses-rule-curfews-closing-nurseries.html

No 10 considers a tougher lockdown 'with curfews, exercise limits, compulsory masks outside, no support bubbles and nurseries shut' if Covid cases keep rising' - amid suggestion 'people may only be allowed to leave home ONCE a week'

Once a week??? WTF?

That is Wuhan shit
  • Nigelb said:

Wasn't the Touch of Brimstone' episode banned in the States? That's a treat in store for SeaShanty to discover now. :lol:
    She wore the catsuit in several episodes IIRC.

Scene now in my minds eye, was in early (maybe first) episode (on US TV anyway) where she and Steed were fencing (with foils mind you) in her apartment, before embarking on a train ride to "Little Bazely by the Sea".

Very much so. Space: 1999 was originally going to be season 2 of UFO, focused on the SHADO moonbase, but morphed into it’s own thing. The Andersons and Lew Grade hoped it would be the British answer to Star Trek, and sell well in world-wide syndication. They did get Italian state broadcaster RAI on board as co-producer of the first season, but it failed to get much traction outside the UK. For season 2 they hired Fred Freiberger from the US to spice it up. Among other things he brought in Catherine Schell as the shape-shifter Maia, but just like the Feinberger final season of classic Trek, it wasn’t enough to save the show.

In general the Anderson live action shows had great production values: stellar model work inherited from the supermarionation years and excellent set and eclectic costume design, but was let down by scripts and scientific accuracy pisspoor even by 1970s sci-fi standards. On the other hand the BBC had great concepts and script writing in shows like Blake’s 7, and Doctor Who at its best in the late Pertwee/early Baker years, but the Beeb had an average episode budget of about 27½ new p and a couple of books of Green Shield Stamps and it showed.
  • I know him: Nigel Biggar was a fairly standard Anglican priest who was chaplain of Oriel at the end of my time there. What has he been up to now?
    A bit of light British Imperial revisionism here, some following of right wing Brexity types on twitter there. Also sometime contributor to Unionist backwater These Islands.
    Would expect nothing less.
    rpjs said:

Discovered on Britbox.

The short answer is because Silvia Anderson designed the costumes and liked the look of the purple wigs. If I recall correctly she hand-waved some explanation about the wigs being to prevent the build up of static electricity in the moonbase.

And I don’t think the purple wigs were as egregious as the string vests worn by SHADO’s naval officers on the Skydiver.
    Egregious? What? They were about forty years ahead of Jean-Paul Gaultier!

Yes.
    Landau was better in Mission: Impossible. And a gazillion other things.

I recall they kept having nuclear accidents on the moon* - though not with the regularity of nuclear disasters in Thunderbirds (the nuclear powered Amazonian logging machine was my personal favourite...).

* The Eagle freighter toy came with its own nuclear waste containers.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721

isam said:

I would say so. Orwell was, I think, pretty clear that both sides could sink to such levels if we weren't careful. I find it amusing that each side always tries to claim that he was talking about the other. He was brighter than that.
    Yes I was just kidding. There were a few censors knocking about a while ago jumping on any description of left wing cancel culture as ‘Orwellian’ so just thought I’d check...

And it turns out the Spectator were not guilty anyway!
    Nigelb said:

You'll need the box set for that one.....
This discussion has been closed.