Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Now is the time for right wing journals to retrospectively adjust articles on Trump – politicalbetti

2»

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

No 10 considers a tougher lockdown 'with curfews, exercise limits, compulsory masks outside, no support bubbles and nurseries shut' if Covid cases keep rising' - amid suggestion 'people may only be allowed to leave home ONCE a week'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9131613/Is-lockdown-TOUGHER-Matt-Hancock-refuses-rule-curfews-closing-nurseries.html

I wonder if they'll ever move to needing a permit to be outside.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2021
    Leon said:

No 10 considers a tougher lockdown 'with curfews, exercise limits, compulsory masks outside, no support bubbles and nurseries shut' if Covid cases keep rising' - amid suggestion 'people may only be allowed to leave home ONCE a week'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9131613/Is-lockdown-TOUGHER-Matt-Hancock-refuses-rule-curfews-closing-nurseries.html

Once a week??? WTF?

That is Wuhan shit
    Doubt it will get that far, just Daily Mail hyperbole....the criticism would be deafening if they tried to do it from people who live in flats, people with kids with special needs, etc etc etc.

We aren't China where you can just tell people do it or we will weld you in / send you to the gulag.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313

Speaking of British TV, over here am anticipating upcoming viewing of new "All Creatures Great and Small" TV show featuring the late, great Diana Rigg as Mrs Pumphrey.

Loved the original series, also broadcast on PBS. And fell in love with Dame Diana as an impressionable youth watching her on "The Avengers". Her grace, charm and sheer class (in the best sense) appealed to me greatly - but it was the cat suit that really sold me!

ACGAS used to be my Dad's favourite series (well still is). He had a VHS of it, which was remarkable as we didn't keep a TV in the house. Every now and again we'd borrow a portable model from some family friends and watch it. Well-acted and nice series. The source material (the James Heriott books) is excellent.

Not sure I want to see the new series, as I identify the characters so much as their 1980's versions.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379

Nigelb said:

Speaking of British TV, over here am anticipating upcoming viewing of new "All Creatures Great and Small" TV show featuring the late, great Diana Rigg as Mrs Pumphrey.

Loved the original series, also broadcast on PBS. And fell in love with Dame Diana as an impressionable youth watching her on "The Avengers". Her grace, charm and sheer class (in the best sense) appealed to me greatly - but it was the cat suit that really sold me!

The Hellfire Club episode ? :smile:
    Wasn't the Touch of Brimstone' episode banned in the States? That's a treat in store for SeaShanty to discover now. :lol:
    She wore the catsuit in several episodes IIRC.

Scene now in my minds eye, was in early (maybe first) episode (on US TV anyway) where she and Steed were fencing (with foils mind you) in her apartment, before embarking on a train ride to "Little Bazely by the Sea".
    Yes, but not the spiked choker, and accessory leather whip....
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853

Leon said:

Once a week??? WTF?

That is Wuhan shit
    Doubt it will get that far, just Daily Mail hyperbole....the criticism would be deafening if they tried to do it from people who live in flats, people with kids with special needs, etc etc etc.
    I dunno. It is not beyond the realms of the possible. This is what they did in Wuhan, and it worked, in the end.

If the alternative is a collapsed health system, then they will have to go there.

Jeez
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Is it ok to say it’s ‘Orwellian’ when disapproving of a right wing person or publication doing something 1984ish?

I would say so. Orwell was, I think, pretty clear that both sides could sink to such levels if we weren't careful. I find it amusing that each side always tries to claim that he was talking about the other. He was brighter than that.
    Yes I was just kidding. There were a few censors knocking about a while ago jumping on any description of left wing cancel culture as ‘Orwellian’ so just thought I’d check...

And it turns out the Spectator were not guilty anyway!
    So it was fake news?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    Leon said:

In her beautiful youth Diana Rigg was possibly one of the loveliest women ever to grace the screen. Up there with a young Catherine Deneuve or Audrey Hepburn.

And funny. And smart. RIP
    She was in one of my fav shows, discovered during lockdown - detectorists, playing the mother of her real life daughter.

My real life mother in law bought me a metal detector for my birthday on the back of that show! I’ll have to use it when I’m allowed out again
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Wasn't the Touch of Brimstone' episode banned in the States? That's a treat in store for SeaShanty to discover now. :lol:

Scene now in my minds eye, was in early (maybe first) episode (on US TV anyway) where she and Steed were fencing (with foils mind you) in her apartment, before embarking on a train ride to "Little Bazely by the Sea".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WQsCJRdVHA

You're welcome.
  • Options
    eek said:

It’s film in Grassington rather than Askrigh and Hawes (due to wanting suitable locations).

Mrs Eek would also like to apologies for the planning notice that you can see in a few shots
    Thanks - will watch out for it!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    edited January 2021

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Number of claims there, but the one that seems weirdest to me is the one summarised as a claim some countries 'forgot' to join the order for one vaccine, when I'd have thought the whole point of an EU scheme would be you don't have to join such an order, it happens automatically.

But it seems most places are going to have lessons learned at various different parts of Covid response, we certainly do.
    https://twitter.com/olivernmoody/status/1348351187108720643
    That thread is classic of the worse aspects of the EU....

EU decides Pfizer one is too risky and too expensive. Germany come in and throw its weight around and says we have to have the German one, because Germany is in the EU. The French then say, well if we are having the German one, we have to have the French one. MEP tasked with overseeing this, but no idea what is going on.

We have to order this as one right...right...Germany then orders a load for themselves.
    Yes, that is Why Brexit distilled into pure spirit.

If we'd still been in the EU, following orders, we'd have meekly obeyed the Commission, ordered 7 trillion Sanofi jabs to keep Paris happy, stuck by the rules, fair play and cricket and all that, and then watched in amazement as Germany and - to a lesser extent France - secretly pinched a billion Pfizer/AZ jabs of their own, even if France is never going to use them
    And of course we wouldn't have bought much of the AZN one, it wouldn't yet be approved, and we would be sitting on our hands waiting.
    Were we not bound by the same rules as every EU country prior to the end of the year?
    No. Not in this instance. We had already left the EMA when we left the EU back on 31st January. The transition was only in certain previously agreed areas.

What is really worrying about all of this is that there was apparently provision for countries to do their own thing as far as approving vaccinations and starting jabbing was concerned. Under emergency clauses they only had to decide to do so and inform the EMA. No country chose to do so. Even as a strong Brexiteer I am not sure how you can blame this one directly on the EU.

I know there have been complaints from some EU countries including Germany that Merkel and others made a decision not to have Germany break ranks as they wanted to make some grand gesture of EU efficiency and unity but that would be a decision made by the leaders of those countries not imposed on them by the EU.
    Are you sure? Because my understanding* is that both the French and the Belgians bought vaccines from local champion Valneva, despite (or maybe because) Valneva not winning a order via the the EU's scheme.

* as in, the company issued a press release
  • Options
    RobD said:

I wonder if they'll ever move to needing a permit to be outside.

• Options

isam said:

isam said:

Is it ok to say it’s ‘Orwellian’ when disapproving of a right wing person or publication doing something 1984ish?

I would say so. Orwell was, I think, pretty clear that both sides could sink to such levels if we weren't careful. I find it amusing that each side always tries to claim that he was talking about the other. He was brighter than that.
    Yes I was just kidding. There were a few censors knocking about a while ago jumping on any description of left wing cancel culture as ‘Orwellian’ so just thought I’d check...

So it was fake news?
    It was Bungled
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Once a week??? WTF?

That is Wuhan shit
    I dunno. It is not beyond the realms of the possible. This is what they did in Wuhan, and it worked, in the end.

If the alternative is a collapsed health system, then they will have to go there.

Jeez
    People won't even isolate properly when they have the damn plague, chances they would stick to rules about only going out once a week, not happening.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

So it was fake news?
    It was Bungled
    not sure what you mean... I was asking a genuine question
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,200
    FPT Nick Palmer

I have no doubt that there large areas of the country where the NHS is creaking. NI is no exception and I hear plenty from people working in or for the NHS here

We cant expect measures to have an impact in no time at all. Lets say we add some more measures in, given the ever dwindling range of options, are they going to help us next week or two weeks time? Unlikely. Are they materially going to impact any more than current measures in place in say 8 weeks? I'm guessing, though open to persuasion, that they may not be that materially impacting. What do we really have that might do something more, shielding for the older/vulnerable maybe? The rest looks increasingly like 'do something'

The reality is that there is no immediate fix, its patience that is needed. People will by and large do their best here and it will eventually bring things down but just demanding that we throw fresh restrictions at it every week or two as if that is going to turn it around because it is difficult now is nonsense. It is difficult and few if any extra measures are going to change that much faster than the measures in place

I am, however, thoroughly pissed off with the fear & panic in the messaging. I understand what is required from me. Any halfwit can understand it but I'm not going to brought to a state of anxiety or unthinking obedience. Today that Neil Ferguson bloke mentions herd immunity in the ST, an apparently discredited idea. I had a chat with a old pal who's wife works in acute services in the NHS just before Christmas. Public wearing of masks in non medical settings? Minimal impact apparently according to his wife. I see doctors and nurses (often unnamed) quoted saying the wards are full of under 50s apparently healthy before Covid struck. I then hear government advisors saying that this isn't quite as simple that

Who do you listen to?

Stop this constant stream to the media telling us its all going terribly. Some of this is coming from government & Civil servants and needs to quit. If you are doctor or a nurse, anyone with a brain know its difficult, stop telling the local paper or Twitter how much you are in tears after your shift. All you are doing is spreading fear to a populous that is becoming split between no longer listening and having increased anxiety. This, of course, we'll be told is an epidemic in its own right, that those public faces, tweeters and story releasers are only feeding.

Now is a grit your teeth moment for the country. We know what we have to do and people will do it if you encourage them. In spring those who made and executed policy, directed and worked in the NHS got the benefit of the doubt whilst the politicians got the flak but there is a line being crossed at the moment in the tone and its not just from the politicians.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Nigelb said:

One of the el-cheapo broadcast TV stations here recently binge-broadcast "Space 1999" staring Martin Landau and Barbara Bain.

Was VERY interesting visually, and had a very surreal feel. Occasionally interesting but mostly not, mainly because it was also VERY slow moving (in that quintessentially British way I associate with UK crime dramas on PBS).

The acting was, in a word, subdued. The was some chemistry between husband & wife Landau & Bain (though their marriage did not survive to the real 1999) but again it was subdued.

As for the plots, cannot remember now what any of them were about, except something about running out of life support or some-such, hardly what you'd call epic.

Wonder if PB Brits and maybe others remember this?

Yes.
    Landau was better in Mission: Impossible. And a gazillion other things.

I recall they kept having nuclear accidents on the moon* - though not with the regularity of nuclear disasters in Thunderbirds (the nuclear powered Amazonian logging machine was my personal favourite...).

* The Eagle freighter toy came with its own nuclear waste containers.
    The Crablogger, in Path of Destruction: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x296gds
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Once a week??? WTF?

That is Wuhan shit

Jeez
    People won't even isolate properly when they have the damn plague, chances they would stick to rules about only going out once a week, not happening.
    I dunno. Depends how bad the Apocalypse is.

A few news items about Plague Pits in Hyde Park would soon end the pancake queues in Hampstead, I reck.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    "NHS could vaccinate UK against Covid in five days, says Oxford professor
    Bureaucrats are blocking a rollout that could prevent many more deaths, according to Sir John Bell"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/09/nhs-vaccinate-uk-covid-five-days-oxford-professor
  • Options

Nigelb said:

One of the el-cheapo broadcast TV stations here recently binge-broadcast "Space 1999" staring Martin Landau and Barbara Bain.

Was VERY interesting visually, and had a very surreal feel. Occasionally interesting but mostly not, mainly because it was also VERY slow moving (in that quintessentially British way I associate with UK crime dramas on PBS).

The acting was, in a word, subdued. The was some chemistry between husband & wife Landau & Bain (though their marriage did not survive to the real 1999) but again it was subdued.

As for the plots, cannot remember now what any of them were about, except something about running out of life support or some-such, hardly what you'd call epic.

Yes.

I recall they kept having nuclear accidents on the moon* - though not with the regularity of nuclear disasters in Thunderbirds (the nuclear powered Amazonian logging machine was my personal favourite...).

The Crablogger, in Path of Destruction: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x296gds
    Not the most environmentally friendly of shows...
    And the amount of polystyrene they must have burned filming it doesn’t bear thinking of.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    edited January 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Bureaucrats are blocking a rollout that could prevent many more deaths, according to Sir John Bell"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/09/nhs-vaccinate-uk-covid-five-days-oxford-professor

Despite having been a bureaucrat I would not deny bureaucrats can end up blocking things a bit, though usually because of rules or processes decision makers insisted upon, but it seems somewhat implausble that so many could be done so quickly (assuming supply capacity) but it is not because he 'doesn't get the sense they are really motivated'.

What would motiviate them, if not this?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

“Theoretical capacity”.

... A spokesperson for NHS England said: “Prof Bell’s reported comments suggest he may not know that at the current time there are not actually that number of vaccines available to the NHS to deploy. It’s best to stick to the facts, and they are that vaccine supply will be progressively increasing over the coming weeks, allowing rapidly expanding vaccinations.”...
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Once a week??? WTF?

That is Wuhan shit

Jeez

A few news items about Plague Pits in Hyde Park would soon end the pancake queues in Hampstead, I reck.
    We are already been told 1000+ a day are dying, 50-60k a day getting it, NHS is at breaking point...and yet still people can't help themselves and must have that pancake, they just can't go without.

Where as more sensible people are already locking themselves away without the government saying they need to. I have no intention of leaving home for the next couple of months. Why take the risk.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Yes.

And the amount of polystyrene they must have burned filming it doesn’t bear thinking of.
    And what about the nuclear-powered airliner that has to complete its journey and land within a couple of hours or the radiation from the reactor would kill everyone on board? I’d love to see the safety case for that!
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

An excellent plan, with only two minor flaws. One, we don't have enough vaccine. Two, we don't have enough vaccine. Now I realise that technically speaking that's only one flaw but I thought that it was such a big one that it was worth mentioning twice.
    Ah, we’ve moved on to Red Dwarf!
  • Options
    When someone says "Dr Who" to me, that means the Tom Baker Dr. Who.

Cause that was the Dr Who that yours truly and many millions of other Americans first saw on our TV screens, thanks to PBS. It quickly became a cult classic with broad demographic appeal (though skewed to the young, the hip and the geeky) that endures to this day.

My Daddy Dearest was a Big fan, as am I though he was a bit more so. The cut-rate budgets were quite, often painfully obvious, but were (and are) part of the appeal in age of super-tech. Actually helped focus on the plots, dialogue and characters. Which if not always sparkling were mostly average or above.

Think above all it was Tom Baker who made Dr Who work, leastways on this side of the Atlantic (and Pacific). Cause he ALWAYS kept things moving. And was just what we expect in the line of quirky, brainy, intrepid English gentlemen (though not always the later by upper-class Brit-twit standards for example Phileas Fogg and Ernest Shackleton (though Shack was Anglo-Irish), and Fogg most memorably portrayed by David Niven, a Scot).

"Exerminate! Exterminate!"
  • Options
    Yokes said:

FPT Nick Palmer

I have no doubt that there large areas of the country where the NHS is creaking. NI is no exception and I hear plenty from people working in or for the NHS here

We cant expect measures to have an impact in no time at all. Lets say we add some more measures in, given the ever dwindling range of options, are they going to help us next week or two weeks time? Unlikely. Are they materially going to impact any more than current measures in place in say 8 weeks? I'm guessing, though open to persuasion, that they may not be that materially impacting. What do we really have that might do something more, shielding for the older/vulnerable maybe? The rest looks increasingly like 'do something'

The reality is that there is no immediate fix, its patience that is needed. People will by and large do their best here and it will eventually bring things down but just demanding that we throw fresh restrictions at it every week or two as if that is going to turn it around because it is difficult now is nonsense. It is difficult and few if any extra measures are going to change that much faster than the measures in place

I am, however, thoroughly pissed off with the fear & panic in the messaging. I understand what is required from me. Any halfwit can understand it but I'm not going to brought to a state of anxiety or unthinking obedience. Today that Neil Ferguson bloke mentions herd immunity in the ST, an apparently discredited idea. I had a chat with a old pal who's wife works in acute services in the NHS just before Christmas. Public wearing of masks in non medical settings? Minimal impact apparently according to his wife. I see doctors and nurses (often unnamed) quoted saying the wards are full of under 50s apparently healthy before Covid struck. I then hear government advisors saying that this isn't quite as simple that

Who do you listen to?

Stop this constant stream to the media telling us its all going terribly. Some of this is coming from government & Civil servants and needs to quit. If you are doctor or a nurse, anyone with a brain know its difficult, stop telling the local paper or Twitter how much you are in tears after your shift. All you are doing is spreading fear to a populous that is becoming split between no longer listening and having increased anxiety. This, of course, we'll be told is an epidemic in its own right, that those public faces, tweeters and story releasers are only feeding.

Now is a grit your teeth moment for the country. We know what we have to do and people will do it if you encourage them. In spring those who made and executed policy, directed and worked in the NHS got the benefit of the doubt whilst the politicians got the flak but there is a line being crossed at the moment in the tone and its not just from the politicians.

"Stop crying, it's making me anxious."

What a piece of work is a man.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    edited January 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Once a week??? WTF?

That is Wuhan shit

Jeez

If I remember correctly the London excess death plan ended up with mass open pyres rather than mass graves.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I read this article this morning and whilst I would be sympathetic to the idea that the NHS is not exactly agile and sometimes downright slow and incapable, the 5 day thing is just balls. Too many people listed as experts are enjoying the Covid war a little too much.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Hmm. As I've mentioned before, John Bell does have a habit of shooting from the hip. He's a smart guy but take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

--AS
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WQsCJRdVHA

You're welcome.
    Damn! Now that's what I call entertainment!

And good clean fun, nothing I would blush to show my granny. Though VERY erotic.

Thought Mrs Peel showed excellent rapport with the snake. Too bad they did NOT re-enact Black Mass as in the actual Hellfire Club (Lord Sandwich enjoyed making offering to the Devil, which can surprise no one cognizant of his lordship's political history). Actually, looked more like Bullington Club 1985 than Hellfire Club 1765.

Best part was hole in floor swallowing up the Tory chief whip.
  • Options
    Percentage of population vaccinated:

Israel 20%
    UAE 10%
    Bahrain 6%
    UK 3%
    USA 2.4%
    Denmark 2%
    Iceland 1.4%
    Italy 1%

Everywhere else is below 1%.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    edited January 2021
    eek said:

It’s film in Grassington rather than Askrigh and Hawes (due to wanting suitable locations).

Mrs Eek would also like to apologies for the planning notice that you can see in a few shots
    I thought Thirsk was the "correct" place for "All Creatures"? With a bit of Middleham thrown in.

A relative of mine was Diana Rigg's stunt driver in the Avengers (as Diana Rigg couldn't drive herself). She got to drive the Lotus Elan around off set which must have been fun but apparently it kept breaking down.

I'm sure Dura Ace might have some comments on the reliability of old lotus cars...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Israel 20%
    UAE 10%
    Bahrain 6%
    UK 3%
    USA 2.4%
    Denmark 2%
    Iceland 1.4%
    Italy 1%

We should start to see a big jump in UK figure tomorrow / through next week.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Yes.

And what about the nuclear-powered airliner that has to complete its journey and land within a couple of hours or the radiation from the reactor would kill everyone on board? I’d love to see the safety case for that!
    Boeing ?
  • Options
    fox327fox327 Posts: 366
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

An excellent plan, with only two minor flaws. One, we don't have enough vaccine. Two, we don't have enough vaccine. Now I realise that technically speaking that's only one flaw but I thought that it was such a big one that it was worth mentioning twice.
    I thought we were supposed to be stockpiling millions of doses of vaccines during 2020. What happened to that?
  • Options
    fox327 said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

I thought we were supposed to be stockpiling millions of doses of vaccines during 2020. What happened to that?
    Manufacturing problems. Not the governments fault...
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    fox327 said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

AZN and their partners couldn't make what they promised. They promised 30 million by September, then reduced that down to 4 million by end of 2020, they made neither target in the end.

If they had really made 10s of millions by the end of 2020, we would be seeing an even bigger roll out.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Yokes said:

FPT Nick Palmer

Who do you listen to?

It isn't making me anxious, why should it? I've been through worse than having to stick a mask on whilst in a shop but try talking to people and you'll find out how much each over wrought story can cause stress to many.

You can only use fear for so long with effect. Already there are complaints that people are less obedient this time around. Perhaps as tired as they are, they also might be fed up with hearing the same tone thrown at them all the time, the relentless & shrill 'oh fuck its all a disaster' which to me is more prevalent now than it was back in March & April. People have lost their jobs, some may not get a job again for some time. People have had their closest family die. Some unnamed doctor or nurse saying how bad it is for them to the media doesn't cut it in that context. You signed up for a tough job, do it.

More calm facts, clear instructions, less fear mongering. Its not that complicated

• Options
    edited January 2021

Andy_JS said:

Israel 20%
    UAE 10%
    Bahrain 6%
    UK 3%
    USA 2.4%
    Denmark 2%
    Iceland 1.4%
    Italy 1%

Good news. It's possible the majority of over 80s have already been vaccinated. There are estimated to be 3.4 million in the UK.
  • Options
    fox327 said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

There are millions stockpiled. Just not the 140million required.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Israel 20%
    UAE 10%
    Bahrain 6%
    UK 3%
    USA 2.4%
    Denmark 2%
    Iceland 1.4%
    Italy 1%

Good news. It's possible the majority of over 80s have already been vaccinated. There are estimated to be 3.4 million in the UK.
    I don't think so. Hancock said 1/3 had been done so far. What was more encouraging was claim that rste doubled from 100k to 200k being done per day in one week and that is without the mega centres that come online next week.

The big thing now is supply.
  • Options

ACGAS used to be my Dad's favourite series (well still is). He had a VHS of it, which was remarkable as we didn't keep a TV in the house. Every now and again we'd borrow a portable model from some family friends and watch it. Well-acted and nice series. The source material (the James Heriott books) is excellent.

Not sure I want to see the new series, as I identify the characters so much as their 1980's versions.
    Understand where you're coming from. That was my attitude - until I saw the trailer for the new version. It really does look good, and also faithful to the spirit of the original.

My mother loved ACGS she spent her early years in the country in the mountains of central Pennsylvania in early 1930s, and could identify with the people, places, situations of the show.

Of course the original cast was top notch, top to bottom. Given discussion of Diana Rigg, must give special mention to Carol Drinkwater, who I think of as the country girl-next-door counterpart to DR's city sophisticated woman of the world. Both classy, smart, talented - both their characters AND themselves.

Having Diana Rigg giving us more of her best, from deepest, darkest Yorkshire has just GOT to be a treat.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Andy_JS said:

Israel 20%
    UAE 10%
    Bahrain 6%
    UK 3%
    USA 2.4%
    Denmark 2%
    Iceland 1.4%
    Italy 1%

I would be quite pissed off if I were Czech. They have one of the worst Covid explosions in the world,: globally they are 4th in terms of cases per million, 8th in terms of death per million. And it is rising.

That big party in Prague, on the bridge, to celebrate the end of Covid seems quite a while ago

Yet they have one of the worst vaccine roll-outs in the developed world, having jabbed just 0.19% of the population, thanks to their involvement in the brilliant EU-wide scheme
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Israel 20%
    UAE 10%
    Bahrain 6%
    UK 3%
    USA 2.4%
    Denmark 2%
    Iceland 1.4%
    Italy 1%

I don't think so. Hancock said 1/3 had been done so far. What was more encouraging was claim that rste doubled from 100k to 200k being done per day in one week and that is without the mega centres that come online next week.

Already up to 1.4 million a week? 2 million should be easy.
  • Options
    The UK government actually seems to have done ok regarding the vaccine stuff in terms of at least securing supply in advance even if some of it will be down the drain money.

The major risk seems to comes in the off script deployment plan which again, you get plenty of experts saying its a bad idea yet others saying its a good idea. If for any reason it goes wrong, the advisors who said its ok to dose it in the way they are planning should front up.

• Options
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Israel 20%
    UAE 10%
    Bahrain 6%
    UK 3%
    USA 2.4%
    Denmark 2%
    Iceland 1.4%
    Italy 1%

All about supply... suggestions there are issues with things like shortages of glass viles.
  • Options

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Israel 20%
    UAE 10%
    Bahrain 6%
    UK 3%
    USA 2.4%
    Denmark 2%
    Iceland 1.4%
    Italy 1%

All about supply... suggestions there are issues with things like shortages of glass viles.
    Being supply limited is a good place to be though. Especially as production ramps up and others are approved.
  • Options

eek said:

I thought Thirsk was the "correct" place for "All Creatures"? With a bit of Middleham thrown in.

A relative of mine was Diana Rigg's stunt driver in the Avengers (as Diana Rigg couldn't drive herself). She got to drive the Lotus Elan around off set which must have been fun but apparently it kept breaking down.

I'm sure Dura Ace might have some comments on the reliability of old lotus cars...
    She was such a great actor, no one could suspect that she couldn't drive those cars you see her (or rather your cuz) driving hither & fro (or visa versa).
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Israel 20%
    UAE 10%
    Bahrain 6%
    UK 3%
    USA 2.4%
    Denmark 2%
    Iceland 1.4%
    Italy 1%

Well if the Bloomberg figures are accurate, 2 million have been vaccinated. But a large percentage of those may be NHS key workers rather than over 80s.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

Yokes said:

FPT Nick Palmer

Who do you listen to?

It isn't making me anxious, why should it? I've been through worse than having to stick a mask on whilst in a shop but try talking to people and you'll find out how much each over wrought story can cause stress to many.

You can only use fear for so long with effect. Already there are complaints that people are less obedient this time around. Perhaps as tired as they are, they also might be fed up with hearing the same tone thrown at them all the time, the relentless & shrill 'oh fuck its all a disaster' which to me is more prevalent now than it was back in March & April. People have lost their jobs, some may not get a job again for some time. People have had their closest family die. Some unnamed doctor or nurse saying how bad it is for them to the media doesn't cut it in that context. You signed up for a tough job, do it.

More calm facts, clear instructions, less fear mongering. Its not that complicated

Maybe it's not people "using fear", but just expressing how miserable or overwhelmed they are.
    Those expressions are valuable because it tell us how things are going, possibly what needs doing to make things better, and because normal humans prefer to know if someone's upset rather than turning a cold shoulder.

I realise that there are some people who would see their partner crying and say, "fuck this, I'm off to the pub until you've stopped snivelling", but really if you're standing on the "daddy drinks because you cry" manifesto, good luck. I'm sure there're a few sociopaths who'll chip in to cover your deposit.
  • Options
    Re: masking, here in Seattle percentage wearing mask on the street has increased greatly in recent months, and percent in supermarket & shops I go to (not many) is 100%. Hallelujah!

Many retail businesses are open, but no sit-down service at bars or restaurants, and no in-person school with only few exceptions. Schools in burbs were scheduled to start this month, but in Seattle not until March. Which is when yours truly is scheduled to get vaccinated, around St Patrick's Day or thereabouts.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    China informs us that they are improving the “population quality” in Xinjiang.

https://twitter.com/chineseembinus/status/1347224755485749249?s=21
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Israel 20%
    UAE 10%
    Bahrain 6%
    UK 3%
    USA 2.4%
    Denmark 2%
    Iceland 1.4%
    Italy 1%

I would be quite pissed off if I were Czech. They have one of the worst Covid explosions in the world,: globally they are 4th in terms of cases per million, 8th in terms of death per million. And it is rising.

That big party in Prague, on the bridge, to celebrate the end of Covid seems quite a while ago

Yet they have one of the worst vaccine roll-outs in the developed world, having jabbed just 0.19% of the population, thanks to their involvement in the brilliant EU-wide scheme
    Reading between the lines, maybe because the first wave didn't hit them so hard, there was a feeling that vaccines might be an unecessary expenditure? Seems a more likely explanation than 'forgot' to sign up? Czech exceptionalism?
  • Options
    edited January 2021

And yet the account is still up on Twitter.

Perhaps the problem is that nobody outside the US matters to the Californians?
  • Options
    Yokes said:

FPT Nick Palmer

Who do you listen to?

+1
  • Options
    This is a great article (with which I happen to agree :smile: ).

Time for Consequences
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/01/biden-must-look-forward-rest-us-must-contend-past/617625/
  • Options
    Hmm UFO a show where all those soldiers were in white string vests. An important moment for me as a child. Not that realised at the time!
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Yokes said:

Yokes said:

FPT Nick Palmer

Who do you listen to?

Maybe it's not people "using fear", but just expressing how miserable or overwhelmed they are.
    Those expressions are valuable because it tell us how things are going, possibly what needs doing to make things better, and because normal humans prefer to know if someone's upset rather than turning a cold shoulder.

I realise that there are some people who would see their partner crying and say, "fuck this, I'm off to the pub until you've stopped snivelling", but really if you're standing on the "daddy drinks because you cry" manifesto, good luck. I'm sure there're a few sociopaths who'll chip in to cover your deposit.
    Clearly having a go at NHS staff who go unnamed in the media or take to twitter to say its all falling apart is the one thing that gets on your goat. The rest of my post clearly didn't cause any emotional reaction at all which is good because none of it was meant to.

Your NHS job doesn't involve you going unnamed to the media nor knocking about on Twitter to say how hard it is. Of course its hard, it was hard before this, it will be hard after this. Plenty of people within the NHS and elsewhere have hard jobs, they don't take to either of the above. When most people have grief or emotional distress they share it with those closest in private, not broadcast it via the media or to the public. You sign up to your job, its your job, it doesn't make you a hero by your job title it doesn't absent you from responsibility or criticism, particularly whilst we are in the situation we are in if you make public pronouncements.

Do I take offence at your cheap shots above? No because your opinion on me as a person doesn't matter, you can criticise me all you like. No one or nothing is above criticism most of all anyone or anything that is suggested to be above criticism.

• Options
    BBC News - Newspaper headlines: 'Stricter rules' and vaccination 'fightback'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-55613592

The Daily Mail really don't like this government. All the other papers front pages are fairly positive on vaccine roll out, Mail...betrayed....
  • Options

And yet the account is still up on Twitter.

Perhaps the problem is that nobody outside the US matters to the Californians?
    The Chinese government are a sack of bastards.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Has anyone ever watched a 70's series called 'UFO' - it's an old Gerry Anderson Sci Fi series where the earth's defence against the alien threat is based in a film studio in what looks like Coventry. It's live action but with puppets/miniatures used for the space combat/flight scenes. :lol:

It is *awful* in the best way possible.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT3X6AAprD0

Discovered on Britbox.

SO in which century did the Nehru jacket make a come back?
    The 'fashion' is one of the best things - it is set in 1980 (very near at hand when it was filmed), but the 'fashion' is wierdly (70's) futuristic.

For some reason the ladies at the controls of the moonbase all have purple hair too. We are never told why. It's most bizarre.
    https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk03TLmEmxUU9pX0Vcnc-_6aKUK5QqA:1610320898346&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=ufo+purple+hair&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwicx_rowJLuAhVNPBoKHeTHCgQQjJkEegQIAhAB&biw=1280&bih=610
    The short answer is because Silvia Anderson designed the costumes and liked the look of the purple wigs. If I recall correctly she hand-waved some explanation about the wigs being to prevent the build up of static electricity in the moonbase.

And I don’t think the purple wigs were as egregious as the string vests worn by SHADO’s naval officers on the Skydiver.
    Haha, thanks for clearing that up!
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

When someone says "Dr Who" to me, that means the Tom Baker Dr. Who.

Cause that was the Dr Who that yours truly and many millions of other Americans first saw on our TV screens, thanks to PBS. It quickly became a cult classic with broad demographic appeal (though skewed to the young, the hip and the geeky) that endures to this day.

My Daddy Dearest was a Big fan, as am I though he was a bit more so. The cut-rate budgets were quite, often painfully obvious, but were (and are) part of the appeal in age of super-tech. Actually helped focus on the plots, dialogue and characters. Which if not always sparkling were mostly average or above.

Think above all it was Tom Baker who made Dr Who work, leastways on this side of the Atlantic (and Pacific). Cause he ALWAYS kept things moving. And was just what we expect in the line of quirky, brainy, intrepid English gentlemen (though not always the later by upper-class Brit-twit standards for example Phileas Fogg and Ernest Shackleton (though Shack was Anglo-Irish), and Fogg most memorably portrayed by David Niven, a Scot).

"Exerminate! Exterminate!"

Does it also work better split into six parts a week apart?

Take Queens Gambit as example, does it work as well binged, or a day or two at least between each episode to turn it over in your head?
  • Options
    edited January 2021

BBC News - Newspaper headlines: 'Stricter rules' and vaccination 'fightback'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-55613592

The Daily Mail really don't like this government. All the other papers front pages are fairly positive on vaccine roll out, Mail...betrayed....

Great so they are going to have a go at the supermarkets. Ok old people. mothers with babies, stand outside in the queues in freezing January why don't ya, somewhat different from standing in a queue outside in April. Lets see them produce the stats on whether supermarkets are a notable source of transmissions . If they have it great, will they have them? Unless they haven't noticed a lot of the major chains have systems for managing flow.

You get the feeling this is no longer about effect.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Floater said:
    Surely the person to say it stinks is Donald Trump. Proper deterrent security in place for the much promised rally in town and we would have been bombarded with pictures of Spanish snow ball fights all week instead, and Trump’s reputation no worse off.

You all think it’s a mere mistake do you?

It’s the day before Election Day, the two rivals neck and neck in polls. And the candidate you are top spin doctor to is on live TV feed trapped in a building by a mob outside. We can get her out, the security promise down the walky talky
    Oh no, you say, I’m more than happy with this
  • Options
    Bad news for any male-owned business I suppose.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Once a week??? WTF?

That is Wuhan shit

Jeez
    I would agree with that take.

Various aspects of it could be introduced, but things like curfews and compulsory masks outside - can someone point to any evidence that they would be even remotely effective?
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    edited January 2021
    " We know what we have to do and people will do it if you encourage them."

"calm facts, clear instructions, less fear mongering."

and stick to measures that might have an effect.

This discussion has been closed.