Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rebuilding a Nation: Unionists need to engage in a battle of both hearts and minds – politicalbettin

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited November 2020 in General
imageRebuilding a Nation: Unionists need to engage in a battle of both hearts and minds – politicalbetting.com

TV used to be so much simpler. When I was growing up, there were only three, then four channels (though Channel 4 didn’t start up until mid-afternoon). If you wanted On Demand, you had to use a Video Recorder. Viewing was entirely through the box (and TVs were boxy) and the only thing resembling an internet was Ceefax and Oracle. They were also almost entirely passively consumed: no ‘e-mail, text or tweet us’ then; radio shows might have phone-ins where they’d go to Steve on Line 1 but the rest of the time, they broadcast and we watched or listened. Still, for all the changes since, I don’t honestly remember it being all that bad.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    Tis I Jack W
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2020
    If I was a Scot I'd go for it in a heartbeat. In fact if it looked likely I'd get myself a pied a terre in Edinburgh. Hopefully they'll join Shengen which the UK should have done
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Channel 4? Video recorders? You lucky bastard (you are younger than I thought).
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    A thought provoking thread header from Herders. He should write them more often ... :wink:
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

Tis I Jack W

Well done Jack! You got the US elections pretty well spot on. It just shows the old ARSE can still perform when called upon.
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

A thought provoking thread header from Herders. He should write them more often ... :wink:

Agreed. "The easy part [of] heads and hearts is heads" is a cracking insight.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532
    Roger said:

JACK_W said:

Tis I Jack W

Well done Jack! You got the US elections pretty well spot on. It just shows the old ARSE can still perform when called upon.
    I believe that Jack W has retired his ARSE. Any nuggets now come from an alt-ARSE.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    edited November 2020
    JACK_W said:

Hmm. [edit] Who is going to lead Better Together Mark 2? For the hearts and heads stuff. In 2014 the Tories got SLAB to front for them, pretty much, in Scotland.

SLAB have learnt their lesson, one presumes.

Who's going to bell the cat this time round? Gordon Brown is yesterday's person - and has made four or five promises of federalism too many. Neil Oliver is just a TV figure talking about old battles, to many people. SKS is too sensible. Michael Gove?
  • Options
    And another point. We are repeatedly told on this site that Mr Johnson will never, ever, ever allow another referendum - and (by implication) neither would his Tory successors as PM.

If that is the case, why should Mr J lift a finger to do anything for the moral unity of the UK?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Clearly a protest at the removal of overseas aid....
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

JACK_W said:

Tis I Jack W

I believe that Jack W has retired his ARSE. Any nuggets now come from an alt-ARSE.
    That's a shame. The post mortem and analysis of the entrails was one of the features of PB

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    "Scotland heads toward another referendum.." I suppose the key point will be whether it's a legal one..
  • Options

"Scotland heads toward another referendum.." I suppose the key point will be whether it's a legal one..

And under which legal system or systems, too.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited November 2020
    Unionists will never win the heart battle, it is just a small part of their armoury.

Scots voted No in 2014 because of the economic risks and would vote No again mainly because of the economic risks, particularly given there would be tariffs on all Scottish exports to England once the UK leaves the SM and CU in January even with a basic trade deal and 70% of Scottish exports go to England (even the UK only sends less than 50% of exports to the EU).
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/poll-most-scots-would-reject-independence-after-considering-issues-2976093

Quebecois similarly voted No by 51% ie the narrowest margin in 1995 to independence from Canada mainly due to the economic risks coupled with getting devomax which is likely the long term solution for Scotland.

However in the meantime 2014 was a once in a generation vote and that must be respected
  • Options
    Foxy said:

While I am resident in England, so just a spectator in 2014, now I will be cheering on independence and Irish reunification.

Our countries have simply diverged too much for the Union to be viable, or to have a point.

It does make for grim hegemony of the Tories in England, at least for a generation, but you cannot stop an idea whose time had come.

Well you are a traitor to your sovereign country then!
  • Options
    Very good header from David.

And just a reminder that his predictions (if this is one) are seldom wrong.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

While I am resident in England, so just a spectator in 2014, now I will be cheering on independence and Irish reunification.

Our countries have simply diverged too much for the Union to be viable, or to have a point.

It does make for grim hegemony of the Tories in England, at least for a generation, but you cannot stop an idea whose time had come.

That's the spirit Hyufd. Call people who disagree with you traitors. That will really bring them round.

I am irresistibly reminded of General Melchett's finest line: 'If all else fails, a pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.'
    I won't ever bring him round, he is a left liberal, diehard Remainer wet lettuce who hates his own country, so I do not care
  • Options
    Roger said:

Scott_xP said:
    Though last week's polls seemed to show a Lab -> Con shift. Could be that we were reminded of Corbyn's continued role in politics last week, and now he's vanished under the waves again.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Are Republicans also traitors in your mad mad Tory world you lunatic?
  • Options
    Slight drifts for the blue team, and generic democrats are bigger than Biden.
    Current Betfair prices:-

Biden 1.04
    Democrats 1.05
    Biden PV 1.03
    Biden PV 49-51.9% 1.05
    Trump PV 46-48.9% 1.05
    Trump ECV 210-239 1.09
    Biden ECV 300-329 1.09
    Biden ECV Hcap -48.5 1.07
    Biden ECV Hcap -63.5 1.09
    Trump ECV Hcap +81.5 1.02

AZ Dem 1.06
    GA Dem 1.07
    MI Dem 1.06
    NV Dem 1.06
    PA Dem 1.06
    WI Dem 1.07

Trump to leave before end of term NO 1.11
    Trump exit date 2021 1.08
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    edited November 2020
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

That's the spirit Hyufd. Call people who disagree with you traitors. That will really bring them round.

I am irresistibly reminded of General Melchett's finest line: 'If all else fails, a pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.'
    I won't bring him round, he is a left liberal, diehard Remainer wet lettuce who hates his own country, so I do not care
    They looked from man to pig, and pig to man...
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

In theory, there's a reasonable case to be made for republicanism and its advocates aren't necessarily traitors. In practice, most republicans are people who just don't like Britain.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    FPT:
    Gaussian said:

Pulpstar said:

Gaussian said:

Gaussian said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Approx 25 Republican legislators in Pennsylvania are supporting a resolution to:

"declare the 2020 election results as being “in dispute,” delay the certification of votes from Pennsylvania for both the state and presidential races and asks for the U.S. Congress to also declare the 2020 presidential race to be in dispute."

So it appears that a substantial number of PA legislators are really going to make a serious attempt to overturn the election.

I'm not in the slightest bit surprised that Betfair has not settled yet.

The facts don't matter. Not only Trump - we saw it on here yesterday with the response of people in Scotland to the facts re Scotland's finances. If people are determined to believe something they will believe it.

It looks entirely possible to me that in order to win Biden is going to need the Supreme Court to rule in his favour. Of course they should do, but given the level of partisanship literally anything is possible.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/11/27/pennsylvania-republicans-dispute-2020-election-results-resolution/

Problems with this:
    1) They've got 25 legislators. They need 102. If they had 102 they'd have said so.
    2) Even if they had 102, the resolution is non-binding.
    3) Even if it was binding, it isn't getting a vote
    4) Even if it was getting a vote, it's too late, their terms end on Monday
    5) Even if they passed it the governor would veto it
    6) Even if the governor didn't veto it the PA supreme court would kill it
    7) Even if the PA supreme court didn't kill it they need to do the same in a bunch of other states
    8) Even if they did the same in all the other states the best they could do would be to hand the presidency to Nancy Pelosi.
    If they uncertify results they also dissolve themselves, also Betfair's rules specifically prohibit nonsense like this.
    How do you get to Pelosi?
    The Dem House can use all kinds of procedural shenanigans to avoid having a vote on the president. The actual vote if they held it would be down to congressional delegations, which lean GOP, but everything leading up to that point is controlled by a simple majority or the Speaker. Leave it stalled or punted to a committee for long enough and the terms of the President and Vice President both end and Trump and Pence both turn back into pumpkins, at which point Pelosi (or anyone else the Dems might have made Speaker of the House) is the next in the line of succession.
    Thanks. I suppose at that point the Supreme Court would be trying to compel the House to vote, and of course there'd be riots.
    Pelosi can ignore this. Also it would actually break the whole 'law as it is, not as we wish it to be' that the federalists love to quote'
    It would certainly be "interesting".

But I don't think there's really a path to throw this to the House in any case, because it's a majority of appointed electors that's required. So you'd either need an outright ECV tie, or some of the appointed electors to not cast their votes or vote for someone other than Biden or Trump. If any states don't appoint electors, the 270 bar would reduce accordingly.
    Theoretically the process whereby we get Acting President Pelosi (and the modifier is significant) would be for every state’s electoral votes to be thrown out by Congress when it counts them on Jan 6th, or for the counting process to be still ongoing when Jan 20th comes around. A state or DC’s votes, can be discarded if at least one Representative and one Senator raise an objection when the outgoing Vice-President reads the return from that state. If that happens, then the two houses separately retire to debate the issue and only if both agree to toss that state’s result does that happen. Similarly if two conflicting returns are presented, one from the executive and one from the legislature (or some other authority, e.g. state supreme court) of a state, then both houses must separately opt for the legislature’s version otherwise the executive’s version prevails.

So in the highly unlikely even that if the Republicans do manage to get sufficient state legislatures to flip their EVs for Trump to win, then io get to Acting President Pelosi, it would require the Congress to successfully go through the rejection process for every single state and DC and so no electoral votes at all are counted. If no EVs are counted then no contingent elections can take place in the House for the President and Senate for VP. Clearly that’s not going to happen, but if it did, I don’t think there’s any way to re-start the counting process, so Nancy Pelosi would be Acting President for a full term.

Very slightly more likely would be that sufficient cycles of objection and debate of specific state results undertaken so slowly that the counting process drags on until Jan 20th in which case Pelosi would be Acting President only until the count is complete.

The only scenario I can realistically see where the rejection of electoral votes from any state actually occurs would be if the Republicans do manage to get state legislatures to try to flip their state's results. Leaving aside all the procedural and constitutional barriers to tha actually happeningt, then it would still require both houses to reject such returns. That would favour the Republicans slightly, but only if the state executives in question have signed off on the legislature’s attempted override.

Of the close Biden win states, only Arizona and Georgia have Republican governors that might conceivably go along with such a coup by their legislature, That would only flip at most 27 EVs to Trump out of Biden’s projected winning margin of 37. The governors of Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin are all Democrats, which means even if the legislatures of those states sent divergent returns of EVs for Trump, the two houses would have to agree to accept them over those for Biden returned by the governors.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Roger said:

Scott_xP said:
    Though last week's polls seemed to show a Lab -> Con shift. Could be that we were reminded of Corbyn's continued role in politics last week, and now he's vanished under the waves again.
    What’s the point of the Lib Dems?

The point is they are not part of the totally corrupt so called big parties. Just wait till May we’ll be back. To be honest there is no point in labour at the moment or any other party apart from UKIP lite.
  • Options
    Very good header, but I think the Unionist ship has sailed. The only good argument that Unionists have is the economic one, and as we saw in 2016 emotion trumps economics. And the economic case against Scottish independence is predominantly a short-term one. It's hard to make the case against independence from a long term perspective as long as countries like Ireland and the Nordics are all prospering more than Scotland.
    What is the UK for? Right now seems to be all about things like Brexit and the Hostile Environment, an angry country looking inwards.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Unionists will never win the heart battle, it is just a small part of their armoury.

Scots voted No in 2014 because of the economic risks and would vote No again mainly because of the economic risks, particularly given there would be tariffs on all Scottish exports to England once the UK leaves the SM and CU in January even with a basic trade deal and 70% of Scottish exports go to England (even the UK only sends less than 50% of exports to the EU).
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/poll-most-scots-would-reject-independence-after-considering-issues-2976093

Quebecois similarly voted No by 51% ie the narrowest margin in 1995 to independence from Canada mainly due to the economic risks coupled with getting devomax which is likely the long term solution for Scotland.

However in the meantime 2014 was a once in a generation vote and that must be respected

Fantastic. Like saying your marriage is perfect in all possible respects because your spouse cannot afford a divorce lawyer.
  • Options
    In any case I struggle to see what is so patriotic about backing a British government led by Boris the Yank on behalf of the Saxe-Coburgs.
  • Options
    Excellent article, David.

I think it's easy to forget how different things look from Scotland. I was at school there for several years. All the
    national newspapers have Scottish editions, and are very different, all the TV channels are Scottish, and different, the premier football league is different, and even the Scottish pound feels different - although fully part of British Sterling. London felt a very very long way away. The whole national conversation can be different.

And that was in 1995. Before we get to how modern technology atomises us still further.

Also, a certain kind of upper middle-class English leader grates with many Scots, be that Thatcher, Cameron or, in particular, Boris. Scotland has its upper-classes too, but they are more rural, distant and quaint - England can give them a sense that a posh accent and posh education give you a right to rule. It's why they struggled with them but Brown and May didn't so much.

That said, there were and are similarities - our island culture, our weather, the BBC, the NHS, the armed forces, history, chippies, our shared pub culture, and even shared scepticism to the Euro. And most people have some relations or family on the other side of the border. The trick is to turn political nationalism into a strong and safe cultural one, with Scots feeling truly respected in the Union.

We need direct Scottish participation and representation in the UK Government with major cabinet portfolios, more shared experiences, and I'd be willing to explore policy solutions for this, world-class competence, and more communication of the benefits of the Union and how it listens to and works for Scotland - enhancing its strength and profile on the world stage.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Rather than look at what the Scots and possibly even the Irish would lose look at it from an English point of view. How significant would this new country be? Out of the EU probably off the security council maybe we could become like Cuba before Castro. A fun park for international gamblers!
  • Options
    Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

This could lead to a potentially interesting discussion on what is a 'country.'

For example, I am Welsh. Wales, as far as I am concerned, is a country, and a nation, just not a nation state (which is one definition of the word 'country').

Meanwhile the EU has many trappings of a nation state, and arguably more power than the Federal Government of the USA in key areas, yet is not a country, a nation, a nation state or anything else similar.

Interesting examples abound with the US Civil War. Robert E. Lee, for example, was loyal to the Union (to the extent he was offered field command of the Union army at the start of the war) as was one of the cabinet ministers of Cleveland I mentioned on here, Augustus Garland. Nevertheless, when secession actually happened, they felt their 'countries' (Virginia and Arkansas) had left so they supported the Confederacy - indeed, without Lee it's unlikely the Confederacy would have lasted more than two years.

So - what is a country, and what is a traitor?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Tres said:

In any case I struggle to see what is so patriotic about backing a British government led by Boris the Yank on behalf of the Saxe-Coburgs.

I thought multiculturalism was in these days?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Carnyx said:

And another point. We are repeatedly told on this site that Mr Johnson will never, ever, ever allow another referendum - and (by implication) neither would his Tory successors as PM.

If that is the case, why should Mr J lift a finger to do anything for the moral unity of the UK?

The absolute lunatic idea of branding everything Scottish with union jacks and sticking union flags on any infrastructure project etc as well as their massive new HQ full of morons and union jacks trying to rubbish Scots is the thinking of absolute cretins.
    HYFUD's idea of tanks is more sensible. Could only have been out of touch morons like Gove and Johnson that could ever imagine that would make us want to be unionists. Crackpots.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

For example, I am Welsh. Wales, as far as I am concerned, is a country, and a nation, just not a nation state (which is one definition of the word 'country').

Meanwhile the EU has many trappings of a nation state, and arguably more power than the Federal Government of the USA in key areas, yet is not a country, a nation, a nation state or anything else similar.

Interesting examples abound with the US Civil War. Robert E. Lee, for example, was loyal to the Union (to the extent he was offered field command of the Union army at the start of the war) as was one of the cabinet ministers of Cleveland I mentioned on here, Augustus Garland. Nevertheless, when secession actually happened, they felt their 'countries' (Virginia and Arkansas) had left so they supported the Confederacy - indeed, without Lee it's unlikely the Confederacy would have lasted more than two years.

All countries are ephemeral in the long-run, therefore being a traitor or not to any single one is nothing more than an accident of timing.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

The absolute lunatic idea of branding everything Scottish with union jacks and sticking union flags on any infrastructure project etc as well as their massive new HQ full of morons and union jacks trying to rubbish Scots is the thinking of absolute cretins.
    HYFUD's idea of tanks is more sensible. Could only have been out of touch morons like Gove and Johnson that could ever imagine that would make us want to be unionists. Crackpots.
    Morning Malc.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Not least because the NHS Scotland would be paying for the vaccinews anyway.

Did you see that touristy video put out by the Scotland Office [the one in London, run by the UK Gmt] repeating Scottish Gmt agency stuff as if it was Scotland Office output?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

Roger said:

Scott_xP said:
    I think that's right, actually. There is still a lot of unrest in many CLPs, I gather, but the general public is indifferent to what an activist in Bognor may be thinking. Nonetheless, it would be unwise of the leadership to let it end up in endless court actions - Corbyn has been marginalised, but some sort of settlement needs to be found that accepts that the left have a legitimate place in the party.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Carnyx said:

JACK_W said:

Hmm. [edit] Who is going to lead Better Together Mark 2? For the hearts and heads stuff. In 2014 the Tories got SLAB to front for them, pretty much, in Scotland.

SLAB have learnt their lesson, one presumes.

Who's going to bell the cat this time round? Gordon Brown is yesterday's person - and has made four or five promises of federalism too many. Neil Oliver is just a TV figure talking about old battles, to many people. SKS is too sensible. Michael Gove?
    Any one of those cretins would ensure a resounding victory
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    Tres said:

Eh? The Prime Minister renounced his US citizenship. And the Royal Family have been Windsor for more than a century.

If you must spew irreleavnt xenophobic bile, at least keep up to date.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    No deal because of the fishing promise?

I see how waters can be patriotic but the fish aren’t. They are only in the waters because of the current agreement. If there is something fishy in the state of Denmark, it’s because that is where they spawn.

Fish don’t recognise national borders.  greement prevents younger fish being harvested in one territorial water until they are bigger fish swum into another’s territorial water?   

Coordinated action helped to prevent over fishing and improve fish stocks?   

One example. Big percentage of Cod consumed in UK comes from EU and Brexit doesn’t change that, because although cod can swim out of EU waters and live okay in ours, they don’t tend to?     

Even if Federal EU never existed, even if we are out, we have no choice but to be in a fish agreement?

The idea that fish that swim into our waters is our own patriotic resource is just potty. You have to subtract agreements with others to prevent over fishing, subtract respect for fish life cycle of spawn one place big in another. We are currently have a deal with EU that stops by law others fishing the fish swimming towards us, without that logically we will have less fish swimming towards our nets.

Explain where I am wrong, because I think this is brexiteers being at their most straw for brains.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Tres said:

Eh? The Prime Minister renounced his US citizenship. And the Royal Family have been Windsor for more than a century.

The Windrush people say hello.
  • Options
    Tres said:

ydoethur said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

All countries are ephemeral in the long-run, therefore being a traitor or not to any single one is nothing more than an accident of timing.
    So why do we bother with the idea of 'treason' at all?

(I will admit, during the US statues controversy, to have enjoyed a little fun at the expense of some of the more self-righteous arseholes involved. When they protested Washington's statues should remain while Lee's came down, on the grounds that Washington wasn't a traitor, I pointed out he was...just a more successful one.)
  • Options

Very good header, but I think the Unionist ship has sailed. The only good argument that Unionists have is the economic one, and as we saw in 2016 emotion trumps economics. And the economic case against Scottish independence is predominantly a short-term one. It's hard to make the case against independence from a long term perspective as long as countries like Ireland and the Nordics are all prospering more than Scotland.
    What is the UK for? Right now seems to be all about things like Brexit and the Hostile Environment, an angry country looking inwards.

'An angry country looking inwards'. Well put. As in 1997 which felt very much the same the zeitgeist has shifted and when the explosion happens Johnson and co are going to bear the full force
  • Options
    Tres said:

ydoethur said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

But potential traitors are a lot ephemeraler, so that doesn't make much sense.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited November 2020
    The inability of Unionists, both in 2014 and now, to make the the passionate/positive case for the UK is a slightly odd one; as seen on here and other places there's no shortage of them being emotional about it. I wonder if it's just that projectfearism is their comfort zone, or that the the deep unease inspired by even contemplating the break up of the UK un-mans them somewhat?

As someone or other once said, the nation is a feeling, the state an idea; a successful country must combine the two. By accident or design, we Nats seem to making the running on this so far.
  • Options
    I have just been reading this:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/937529/COVID-19_Winter_Plan.pdf

I haven't read so many self-pitying, self justifying, ridiculous and transparent lies since the last time I read David Irving's account of his failed libel case.

This government is absolutely scum. Like Trump with slightly better hair.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Gosh, that escalated quickly!

Oh, it's only HYUFD, stand down lads.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    On topic, another excellent piece by David. The Scottish drift is part of a wider sense that the UK lacks purpose - leaving the EU is an important act (rightly or wrongly) but only makes sense even to its supporters if it results in a positive, clear sense of national purpose.

Many English people don't see any particular point in being British apart from a vague sense of cultural identity. That is, as David says, weaker than it used to be with the loss of common televisual experiences and, I'd argue, a cultural spread into a thousand different preoccupations with few common features. Many younger people just get on with their lives and are now rather indifferent to national identity.

As a thought experiment, if you're English, consider how you'd feel if the border shifted and you were now Scottish or Welsh. How much would you care? You might be mildly pleased or mildly regretful, but would it be a really big deal?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    edited November 2020
    Essexit said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

In theory, there's a reasonable case to be made for republicanism and its advocates aren't necessarily traitors. In practice, most republicans are people who just don't like Britain.
    Bollox.

I love the UK but I also think our head of state shouldn't be limited to a certain family.

If you love democracy then you want a head of state to be democratically elected, I believe take back control from our unelected rulers is something beloved by so many Brits.

I mean if the Royals were really popular they'd easily every regular election for head of state right?

I mean if we don't allow hereditary Prime Ministers then we shouldn't allow a hereditary head of state either.
  • Options
    A question to the SNATs:

If Boris offered an independence referendum with this electorate:

Those eligible to vote in a Westminster general election in Scotland, ie no under 18s and no non-British, plus Scots living in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Would you accept ?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Gosh, that escalated quickly!

Oh, it's only HYUFD, stand down lads.
    Tanks for that...
  • Options

Essexit said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Bollox.

I love the UK but I also think our head of state shouldn't be limited to a certain family.

If you love democracy then you want a head of state to be democratically elected, I believe take back control from our unelected rulers is something beloved by so many Brits.

I mean if the Royals were really popular they'd easily every regular election for head of state right?

I mean if we don't allow hereditary Prime Ministers then we shouldn't allow a hereditary head of state either.
    That's the reasonable case for republicanism, though I don't agree with it. A lot of people who want to get rid of the monarchy emphatically do not love the UK though. Take for example much of the far left.

Electing the head of state would make it a funny sort of monarchy, but I'd welcome a referendum on the matter.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

A question to the SNATs:

Those eligible to vote in a Westminster general election in Scotland, ie no under 18s and no non-British, plus Scots living in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Would you accept ?

No.

1. Criterion of birth is Blood and Soil thinking.
    2. It is unevenly applied - those incomers living in Scotland are allowed to vote.
    3. No existing listing - there is no official Scots nationality ergo no objective documentary criterion ([edit] I do know about FRance and expat French, but when there is an elecvtion in France the French take their passports along).

• Options
    I wish the Scots well in the future. Good neighbours are better than unhappy tenants.
  • Options

Essexit said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Bollox.

I mean if we don't allow hereditary Prime Ministers then we shouldn't allow hereditary head of states.
    No, because it is not - and for good reason - democracy all the way down. When it is, you end up with disasters like Brexit. You don't think it is democracy all the way down because you never, ever write headers saying that that we should have a plebiscite on lockdown, or the budget, or each and every item in the Queen's speech, or bloody anything, because you know it would be a bloody stupid idea. There is no reason why we shouldn't vote region by region on which tier we would like to be in, so why not?

tl;dr Donald Trump is an elected head of state. tl;dr 2 imagine Brexit was a person, and ran for head of state with Dominic Cummings as its campaign manager.
  • Options
    Covid-19 deniers are a curious bunch aren't they?

https://twitter.com/LeeHurstComic/status/1332383617885024256
  • Options
    edited November 2020

On topic, another excellent piece by David. The Scottish drift is part of a wider sense that the UK lacks purpose - leaving the EU is an important act (rightly or wrongly) but only makes sense even to its supporters if it results in a positive, clear sense of national purpose.

Many English people don't see any particular point in being British apart from a vague sense of cultural identity. That is, as David says, weaker than it used to be with the loss of common televisual experiences and, I'd argue, a cultural spread into a thousand different preoccupations with few common features. Many younger people just get on with their lives and are now rather indifferent to national identity.

As a thought experiment, if you're English, consider how you'd feel if the border shifted and you were now Scottish or Welsh. How much would you care? You might be mildly pleased or mildly regretful, but would it be a really big deal?

Actually, not that easy, as the legal systems and property law are different! I'd be worried about my house, for a start.

The interesting point here is that the Anglo-Scottish border has been utterly stable since the 1500s - almost as loing as, or perhapos longer than, any other national border in the world (one village football field aside).
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    Aren't most tasks - other than writing bawdy newspaper columns and pratfalling on TV - ill suited to Boris Johnson? All this 'Boris needs his mojo back', he never had one, MPs knew it but he'd become the darling off the Tory grassroots (100k of them) and that got him he prize.
  • Options

Having a common threat is also a driver of a common identity.

From 1707 to 1991 they existed for the Anglo-Scottish union - Catholicism, Jacobitism, France, Germany, Soviets.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

A question to the SNATs:

Would you accept ?

No.

2. It is unevenly applied - those incomers living in Scotland are allowed to vote.
    3. No existing listing - there is no official Scots nationality ergo no objective documentary criterion ([edit] I do know about FRance and expat French, but when there is an elecvtion in France the French take their passports along).

Just so.

In the unlikely event of another EU ref being held in the next 4 years, hands up those who think it would be fine to radically change the form from the 2016 one?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

I won't ever bring him round, he is a left liberal, diehard Remainer wet lettuce who hates his own country, so I do not care
    Sometime HYUFD, I am ashamed that you live in Essex; I can assure colleagues here that not everyone in Essex has the same views. Although I must confess that too many have.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    edited November 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

Essexit said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Bollox.

I mean if we don't allow hereditary Prime Ministers then we shouldn't allow hereditary head of states.
    No, because it is not - and for good reason - democracy all the way down. When it is, you end up with disasters like Brexit. You don't think it is democracy all the way down because you never, ever write headers saying that that we should have a plebiscite on lockdown, or the budget, or each and every item in the Queen's speech, or bloody anything, because you know it would be a bloody stupid idea. There is no reason why we shouldn't vote region by region on which tier we would like to be in, so why not?

tl;dr Donald Trump is an elected head of state. tl;dr 2 imagine Brexit was a person, and ran for head of state with Dominic Cummings as its campaign manager.
    But with a general election we cede our power for five years to a government on things like the budget, lockdown, and general governance.

We've never done that for the Monarchy.

Remember the monarch has an awful lot of power, I worry about the day when we have an absolute idiot (or worse) as monarch.

Lest we forget but for his libido we would have had a Nazi sympathiser as monarch in the run up and during WWII.

I mean could you imagine Edward VIII appointing Churchill as PM in May 1940, he would have picked the appeaser Lord Halifax.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    Thanks for very interesting Header. My view is that Sindy is now inevitable. I'm a little bit sad about this - I have a chunk of family up there - but I cannot see any stable destination for the England/Scotland relationship other than that of an amicable separation. So on the grounds of "if it is to be done it is best it be done quickly" - Shakey nailing things there even though he died before the Union about to break was even formed - I would like to see a referendum in this parliament and a clear Yes result. Usual caveat of I don't have a vote and it's a matter for Scots, but I think this is the optimal outcome.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

A question to the SNATs:

Would you accept ?

No.

Just so.

In the unlikely event of another EU ref being held in the next 4 years, hands up those who think it would be fine to radically change the form from the 2016 one?
    BTW I meant "take the passports along to the local Consulate"!

I'd also add - exclusion of the 16 and 17 yos who are far more affected than the old farts like me and Mr Cameron of wooden caravan fame.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

A question to the SNATs:

Would you accept ?

No.

Letting Scots living in the rest of the UK (and indeed world) is no different to allowing ex-pats to vote. It's understood that they may well return to the UK one day and still have a real stake in its future. The criteria would simply be British citizenship and having been born in Scotland and/or having lived there for some minimum period of time.

I think Nats are against this and in favour of letting children and non-Brits vote not because of any real principle, but because they want to fix the franchise in their favour.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Casino isn’t often someone I agree with but that last post of his is more or less spot on to the “unionist to soft indy” voter. It contrasts strongly with HYFUD’s patronising shire Tory shtick.

What the Unionists are going to struggle with is that a lot of the Scottish professional class have defected from the union over time. That’s for a few reasons, but in my case is due to the abrasive crew of Brexiteering tits who run the government who just don’t care what Scots, Irish or Welsh think of their policy making. If you want a unified nation you need to consider those viewpoints rather than steamroll over them to please mad old Colonels in Dorking. The slash and burn policy annoys the people who like the old aesthetic of prudence and care.

Most of us didn’t like Cameron because he represented yet another Thatcher child, but at least he had the nouse to couch his unionism in the old Presbytery language. In that respect I think Better Together had a stronger cultural case than was expected because it appealed to middle-class Scots’ ingrained “steady as she goes” attitude. The problem is that the current crew have spectacularly blown that up. Why stay in the union if its behaviour is that of a rich boy with no concept of value? If we’re going to be less well off, at least we can do it without a party we despise and leaders we’d happily see sent to Timbuktu.

In that respect (if Johnson does care about the Union and not the aforementioned Dorking Colonels) he needs to get a Brexit deal. It doesn’t matter if it seems bad to the nutters, it needs to happen because it’s something a responsible leader would do. If that doesn’t happen the SNP smash the elections next year because Scots don’t buy into the “Australia deal” malarkey that is being peddled.

That's the Cameron whose great triumph saw 56 SNP MPs and 1 SCON MP ?
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

A question to the SNATs:

Would you accept ?

No.

Letting Scots living in the rest of the UK (and indeed world) is no different to allowing ex-pats to vote. It's understood that they may well return to the UK one day and still have a real stake in its future. The criteria would simply be British citizenship and having been born in Scotland and/or having lived there for some minimum period of time.

I think Nats are against this and in favour of letting children and non-Brits vote not because of any real principle, but because they want to fix the franchise in their favour.
    Still impossible to implement without risk of mass fraud.

And if Mr Cameron was happy with the 2014 franchise, which was actually that for residents in Scotland and defined long before indyref 1, why change?
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,277

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Sometime HYUFD, I am ashamed that you live in Essex; I can assure colleagues here that not everyone in Essex has the same views. Although I must confess that too many have.
    Tory strategists: “I don’t understand why we’re so unpopular in Scotland”

HYUFD: “Hold my beer”
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited November 2020

I remember Lee Hurst on the telly when he used to scamper enthusiastically over Centurion tanks as they were being restored; he seemed fairly harmless then. Did some deeply scarring event take place in the intervening period or was he always an unfunny, unpleasant ****?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    Carnyx said:

Fishing said:

Tres said:

The Windrush people say hello.
    Hello back.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,277

OnboardG1 said:

Casino isn’t often someone I agree with but that last post of his is more or less spot on to the “unionist to soft indy” voter. It contrasts strongly with HYFUD’s patronising shire Tory shtick.

What the Unionists are going to struggle with is that a lot of the Scottish professional class have defected from the union over time. That’s for a few reasons, but in my case is due to the abrasive crew of Brexiteering tits who run the government who just don’t care what Scots, Irish or Welsh think of their policy making. If you want a unified nation you need to consider those viewpoints rather than steamroll over them to please mad old Colonels in Dorking. The slash and burn policy annoys the people who like the old aesthetic of prudence and care.

Most of us didn’t like Cameron because he represented yet another Thatcher child, but at least he had the nouse to couch his unionism in the old Presbytery language. In that respect I think Better Together had a stronger cultural case than was expected because it appealed to middle-class Scots’ ingrained “steady as she goes” attitude. The problem is that the current crew have spectacularly blown that up. Why stay in the union if its behaviour is that of a rich boy with no concept of value? If we’re going to be less well off, at least we can do it without a party we despise and leaders we’d happily see sent to Timbuktu.

In that respect (if Johnson does care about the Union and not the aforementioned Dorking Colonels) he needs to get a Brexit deal. It doesn’t matter if it seems bad to the nutters, it needs to happen because it’s something a responsible leader would do. If that doesn’t happen the SNP smash the elections next year because Scots don’t buy into the “Australia deal” malarkey that is being peddled.

That's the Cameron whose great triumph saw 56 SNP MPs and 1 SCON MP ?
    Turns out blowing up your centre-left rival in a FPTP election means people move to the remaining centre left party... the SNP. But whether his electoral strategy was smart or not, his referendum strategy was tactically sound.
  • Options
    PB BrainsTrust, is this remotely true?

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1332604252523474958
  • Options

I remember Lee Hurst on the telly when he used to scamper enthusiastically over Centurion tanks as they were being restored; he seemed fairly harmless then. Did some deeply scarring event take place in the intervening period or was he always an unfunny, unpleasant ****?
    I know he has had some health problems but that's far as I know.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Thanks for very interesting Header. My view is that Sindy is now inevitable. I'm a little bit sad about this - I have a chunk of family up there - but I cannot see any stable destination for the England/Scotland relationship other than that of an amicable separation. So on the grounds of "if it is to be done it is best it be done quickly" - Shakey nailing things there even though he died before the Union about to break was even formed - I would like to see a referendum in this parliament and a clear Yes result. Usual caveat of I don't have a vote and it's a matter for Scots, but I think this is the optimal outcome.

For one awful moment I thought that you were revealing Shaking Stevens had kicked the bucket. Phew!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

A question to the SNATs:

Would you accept ?

No.

Just so.

The EU ref was held according to the normal franchise, so of course any change to it would be wrong. The only people who attempted such a thing (by proxy) were the Remainer MPs who wanted to let 16 and 17 year olds and EU citizens vote in GE2019.

Cameron's mistake was to let the SNP fix the franchise for the 2014 referendum, Johnson would be wise to not repeat the error.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

A question to the SNATs:

Would you accept ?

No.

Also - applying your blood criterion would mean excluding the English, Welsh and NI born such as Angus Robertson (!) from voting in the referendum. You can't use residence on one side and then blood on the other side of the border.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

I wish the Scots well in the future. Good neighbours are better than unhappy tenants.

I agree.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    There's still a tone of inevitably on here that I don't quite recognise - many wishing for an amicable seperation (which I'd want too, but can't see happening)

14 odd polls have shown yes in the lead. Any ref campaign would likely see things shift around. And if - god forbid - it was 52% yes against 48% no, I'm not convinced that's particularly stable grounds for a united country (as we've seen here)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

A question to the SNATs:

Would you accept ?

No.

And if Mr Cameron was happy with the 2014 franchise, which was actually that for residents in Scotland and defined long before indyref 1, why change?
    Especially as any changes might not help the independence side :wink:

If I was a SNAT I would accept such a referendum - you would still have a good, if lower, chance of winning.

And even if you lost it wouldn't stop the independence movement would it and would likely give the SNP another boost.
  • Options

I would very much doubt it unless they had also repeated the allegations on her donations page.

I suspect however she is in big trouble if she's not able to argue the story was true. It's not like that weirdo from Bath where Dugdale's comments were ruled wrong, but a reasonable interpretation of the comments expressed as an honest opinion. This is criminality she was alleging.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

A question to the SNATs:

Would you accept ?

No.

Is your objection to this that it would be hard to implement and risks fraud, or that it would make it harder for Yes to win?

It wouldn't be that hard to implement. There are Council Tax and electoral roll records, I assume, which would be used to determine eligibility to vote for Scots outside Scotland.

As I've said elsewhere, Cameron made an error, but that's no reason to make it again. He probably thought that No was such a shoo-in there was no point arguing about the franchise.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

A question to the SNATs:

Would you accept ?

No.

Just so.

The EU ref was held according to the normal franchise, so of course any change to it would be wrong. The only people who attempted such a thing (by proxy) were the Remainer MPs who wanted to let 16 and 17 year olds and EU citizens vote in GE2019.

Cameron's mistake was to let the SNP fix the franchise for the 2014 referendum, Johnson would be wise to not repeat the error.
    16 & 17 year olds voting is the normal franchise for elections in Scotland (as it is now in Wales) and was a manifesto policy of the SNP in 2011.

I remember pre 2014 Unionists breathlessly reporting that school debate after school debate was ending in favour of the Union. I believe the phrase 'bad tactical error by Salmond letting the kids vote' may even have been used.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Essexit said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Bollox.

But with a general election we cede our power for five years to a government on things like the budget, lockdown, and general governance.

We've never done that for the Monarchy.

Remember the monarch has an awful lot of power, I worry about the day when we have an absolute idiot (or worse) as monarch.

Lest we forget but for his libido we would have had a Nazi sympathiser as monarch in the run up and during WWII.

I mean could you imagine Edward VIII appointing Churchill as PM in May 1940, he would have picked the appeaser Lord Halifax.
    Rolling the hereditary dice is *on average* less likely to yield a complete and utter shit than democracy is; your point fails because Halifax would have been going up against (or not) the democratically elected Hitler. The available systems all suck, and it's best to stick with what we have for fear of unintended consequences.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

A question to the SNATs:

Would you accept ?

No.

Is your objection to this that it would be hard to implement and risks fraud, or that it would make it harder for Yes to win?

It wouldn't be that hard to implement. There are Council Tax and electoral roll records, I assume, which would be used to determine eligibility to vote for Scots outside Scotland.

As I've said elsewhere, Cameron made an error, but that's no reason to make it again. He probably thought that No was such a shoo-in there was no point arguing about the franchise.
    The birth criterion is the problem. CT and electoral records are no good outside Scotland, obvs. And it's not as if someon e living in Epping can take his birth cert to the voting booth cos there won't be one in Epping. No UK idewntity card. No specifically Scottish passport that can be used as a surrogate indicator as the French do.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

A question to the SNATs:

Would you accept ?

No.

The birth criterion is the problem. CT and electoral records are no good outside Scotland, obvs. And it's not as if someon e living in Epping can take his birth cert to the voting booth cos there won't be one in Epping. No UK idewntity card. No specifically Scottish passport that can be used as a surrogate indicator as the French do.
    Edit: remember, quite a few Scots-born won't have CT records in Scotland - Michael Gove probably is an example.
  • Options

There's still a tone of inevitably on here that I don't quite recognise - many wishing for an amicable seperation (which I'd want too, but can't see happening)

14 odd polls have shown yes in the lead. Any ref campaign would likely see things shift around. And if - god forbid - it was 52% yes against 48% no, I'm not convinced that's particularly stable grounds for a united country (as we've seen here)

Oh well, better stick with the country imposing its instability on us after a 52-48 referendum result.
  • Options

Last time the polls narrowed in favour of Yes during the campaign.

And as with say, Brexit, the SNP will offer vague promises that somehow all will be well when Scotland leaves the UK, because they will govern themselves and there's no way a bunch of politicians who fucked up schools, universities, hospitals, the police and managing a criminal investigation into their own former leader could possibly screw up the economy and foreign affairs.

Meanwhile, those campaigning on facts face the awkward truth that the electorate don't care about the facts because they believe them to be wrong. That incidentally would hold good even if a divorce deal was agreed in advance of the vote.

So I would be surprised if a referendum held in the next two years did not lead to a 'Yes' vote. Whether that state of affairs is permanent is a different question, and so many moving parts are involved anyone predicting it either way for definite would be better off spinning a coin.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

A question to the SNATs:

Would you accept ?

No.

Also - applying your blood criterion would mean excluding the English, Welsh and NI born such as Angus Robertson (!) from voting in the referendum. You can't use residence on one side and then blood on the other side of the border.
    No need for it to do that. We could take the eligibility criteria for Scots outside Scotland and apply them to 'non-Scots' within. So if you were born in Wales but had lived in Scotland for (say) 10 years, you could vote, if you're briefly living there for work, you can't. There are admittedly some details to work out but this would be workable and much more neutral than what the SNP wants.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532
    edited November 2020

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1332626435794722816?s=19

5% each for Greens, LD and BXP is not something that I would expect in a real GE.

I wonder what will happen when we are no longer in BINO?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    An interesting piece from David - but much of this was obvious during the complacent Cameron years. Class is a thorny issue - particularly in an era of rising inequality and declining social mobility - I've long believed Britishness is too middle class and doesn't appeal to working class people sufficiently. In a funny way the referendum might have been a correction to this as many working class people thought they were being listened to but it's been a dead end so far.

What about brands? There was some fuss when Cadbury's was sold to Kraft but things have either failed (Rover) or been sold off (Jaguar). We live in a consumer society but going to buy a laptop or mobile phone you won't find much British ingenuity present - or certainly not in terms of brand/ownership. Banks and financial services might pay the bills but they don't inspire pride.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

A question to the SNATs:

Would you accept ?

No.

No need for it to do that. We could take the eligibility criteria for Scots outside Scotland and apply them to 'non-Scots' within. So if you were born in Wales but had lived in Scotland for (say) 10 years, you could vote, if you're briefly living there for work, you can't. There are admittedly some details to work out but this would be workable and much more neutral than what the SNP wants.
    I still can't see it heing at all possible to develop a new electoral roll - effectively - for induref 2. It would habve to be one of the existing franchises, already changing from last time - Westminster or Holyrood or Local Gmt.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I would very much doubt it unless they had also repeated the allegations on her donations page.

I suspect however she is in big trouble if she's not able to argue the story was true. It's not like that weirdo from Bath where Dugdale's comments were ruled wrong, but a reasonable interpretation of the comments expressed as an honest opinion. This is criminality she was alleging.
    She has thrown in the towel I believe, so that is all by the bye. And if she is liable for costs - you'd need a Court order, but in principle if you fund litigation you can be on the hook for costs. Compare the situation where A sues B but in practice A has been sorted out by his own insurers and it's really A's insurers suing B or B's insurers.. If A loses his insurers pay up.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Tres said:

ydoethur said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So why do we bother with the idea of 'treason' at all?

(I will admit, during the US statues controversy, to have enjoyed a little fun at the expense of some of the more self-righteous arseholes involved. When they protested Washington's statues should remain while Lee's came down, on the grounds that Washington wasn't a traitor, I pointed out he was...just a more successful one.)
    The same reason we bother with the idea of blasphemy I suppose. A handy tool of control and coercion.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

She has thrown in the towel I believe, so that is all by the bye. And if she is liable for costs - you'd need a Court order, but in principle if you fund litigation you can be on the hook for costs. Compare the situation where A sues B but in practice A has been sorted out by his own insurers and it's really A's insurers suing B or B's insurers.. If A loses his insurers pay up.
    No. She has said she will still fight the case: https://www.bindmans.com/news/statement-on-libel-claim-against-carole-cadwalladr

I just can't see what other defence is open to her.

Edit - re funding, I don't think that counts for a defence, only for the plaintiff, although I could be wrong. It shouldn't do, but then law and sense have never been easy bedfellows.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

A question to the SNATs:

Would you accept ?

No.

Obviously there won't be a polling booth in Epping. These would be postal votes, like those ex-pats use. Eligibility would be decided well ahead of the election, not on the day.

You are just grasping for excuses to exclude those with a real stake in Scotland's future from voting and I think we know why.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    Carnyx said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

A question to the SNATs:

Would you accept ?

No.

The "Civic Nationalism" claim would arguably be compromised if the vote were on that basis.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

No. She has said she will still fight the case: https://www.bindmans.com/news/statement-on-libel-claim-against-carole-cadwalladr

I just can't see what other defence is open to her.
    Insanity?
This discussion has been closed.