Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rebuilding a Nation: Unionists need to engage in a battle of both hearts and minds – politicalbettin

Comments

• Options

Swedish government sidelines epidemiologist who steered country's no lockdown experiment as deaths rise

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/28/swedish-government-sidelines-epidemiologist-steered-countrys/

But Alistair Hames has this trend line showing Sweden was doing awesome.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,780

English..er, Spanish..er, British Airways deleted this tweet faster that you can say tone deaf cock up.

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1332611265240440832?s=20

It's not really a cock up, they one of the sponsors of the England team.
    A mystery why they deleted it then.
    Because the average Welsh rugby fan is as nice as a paper cut on the todger.
    Is that what it was meant to look like ?

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Pagan2 said:

The Guardian article does raise some questions, but is also very smeary at the same time. His wife owning less than 1% in a company who in India sells stuff on Amazon calls into question Rishi ability to make calls over how to deal with Amazon in the UK...i mean come on. If that is the standard,. the only person who could be chancellor is somebody whose entire family has no investments in anything ever and do not work in any sort of position of vague responsibility at a private company...by thise standards even Gordon Brown would have had an issue, as his brother had a big positiion in an energy company.

A big position in an energy company who were allowed to take over British Energy when he was Prime Minister, in fact. I don't recall any bleatings from the Guardian at that time.

The end point would be that everyone in the legislature and all their relatives should be forced to use blind trusts. I'm not sure how that works for family businesses though.
    So my son decides he wants to be an MP....you say any investments I have must go into a blind trust. I think most family members will turn round and say "sorry no, I am not putting my finances in a blind trust just so you can get a job"
    It might result in a few more MPs from backgrounds where parents don't have investments.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Re G1 - Wales failure vs Scotland

One of the best moves Sturgeon made was severely limiting household mixing much earlier on than England. That plus limiting travel between regions are two big steps you can take to limit transmission and spread.

The problem with Welsh approach is they sold this idea you could do a couple of weeks of lockdown (which isn't long enough and there were some absolutely stupid pointless restrictions in some areas of life) and then immediately jumped from that to a national level of much lower restrictions than everywhere else in the UK...despite a) not knowing how much you have actually squashed the levels and b) definitely still having two areas of extremely high levels of infection.

Drakeford is not very bright.

It was no surprise to find the ever tin-eared TSE praising Drakeford's COVID response the other day on pb.com.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

English..er, Spanish..er, British Airways deleted this tweet faster that you can say tone deaf cock up.

Is that what it was meant to look like ?

I cannot unsee that now
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846

Pagan2 said:

The Guardian article does raise some questions, but is also very smeary at the same time. His wife owning less than 1% in a company who in India sells stuff on Amazon calls into question Rishi ability to make calls over how to deal with Amazon in the UK...i mean come on. If that is the standard,. the only person who could be chancellor is somebody whose entire family has no investments in anything ever and do not work in any sort of position of vague responsibility at a private company...by thise standards even Gordon Brown would have had an issue, as his brother had a big positiion in an energy company.

A big position in an energy company who were allowed to take over British Energy when he was Prime Minister, in fact. I don't recall any bleatings from the Guardian at that time.

The end point would be that everyone in the legislature and all their relatives should be forced to use blind trusts. I'm not sure how that works for family businesses though.
    So my son decides he wants to be an MP....you say any investments I have must go into a blind trust. I think most family members will turn round and say "sorry no, I am not putting my finances in a blind trust just so you can get a job"
    It might result in a few more MPs from backgrounds where parents don't have investments.
    I find it quite bizarre that people assume that everyone knows the ins and outs of even close family member's finances to be honest and a little creepy. Most couples I know for example have a joint account for bills and each puts in an agreed amount every month and their own accounts are private.
  • Options

So geeks, will you still call him Baby Yoda or his real name, now we know it?

What a stupid move by disney...and a stupid name...grogu... what's that? Baby Yoda it will always be.
    In this family he will always be Baby Yoda.

Which is good as a lot of the Christmas presents for this family are Baby Yoda related.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,295

Foxy said:

I like Layla, but she is too erratic for leadership. We made that mistake with Jo Swinson of appointing a younger and female leader, because she was these things and see how that turned out. Personally I think Davey would have managed the wrangling in the hung parliament much better, and would in particular not gone for Revoke, or been quite so open to defectors. Both were mistakes.

"... too erratic for leadership ..." Mmmmm, borderline gender stereotyping, I'd say.

Tbf, similar arguments of stability, experience, reassurance and steadiness were made in favour of SKS, and against Rayner or Nandy.

It is quite clear in Wales that the female candidates who stood in the Labour & Tory leadership elections (Eluned Morgan and Suzy Davies) were way, way, way superior to the male candidates who actually won (Drakeford & Davies).

Still, remember Jacinda. There is a lesson there for all forsaken parties, if they care to learn it.
    Indeed. My disappointment at the hapless Drakeford's elevation to First Minister has been somewhat offset by Paul Davies' abject performance as Leader of the Opposition. Although every now and again RT chimes in, making both Drakeford and Paul Davies appear as consumate professionals.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    edited November 2020
    🤨 🤔

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    edited November 2020

In terms of sporting opponents I despise the Welsh are top of the league, even worse than Chelsea fans.
    Oi! Even if you find our effortless domination annoying there’s no need to be actually abusive.

Chelsea fans, FFS...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,983
    Please tell me there's some whitehall beurocrat who is actually in charge of the vaccination program and it's not just Zahawi winging it ?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

A question to the SNATs:

If Boris offered an independence referendum with this electorate:

Those eligible to vote in a Westminster general election in Scotland, ie no under 18s and no non-British, plus Scots living in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Would you accept ?

No.

1. Criterion of birth is Blood and Soil thinking.
    2. It is unevenly applied - those incomers living in Scotland are allowed to vote.
    3. No existing listing - there is no official Scots nationality ergo no objective documentary criterion ([edit] I do know about FRance and expat French, but when there is an elecvtion in France the French take their passports along).

Letting Scots living in the rest of the UK (and indeed world) is no different to allowing ex-pats to vote. It's understood that they may well return to the UK one day and still have a real stake in its future. The criteria would simply be British citizenship and having been born in Scotland and/or having lived there for some minimum period of time.

I think Nats are against this and in favour of letting children and non-Brits vote not because of any real principle, but because they want to fix the franchise in their favour.
    Still impossible to implement without risk of mass fraud.

And if Mr Cameron was happy with the 2014 franchise, which was actually that for residents in Scotland and defined long before indyref 1, why change?
    Is your objection to this that it would be hard to implement and risks fraud, or that it would make it harder for Yes to win?

It wouldn't be that hard to implement. There are Council Tax and electoral roll records, I assume, which would be used to determine eligibility to vote for Scots outside Scotland.

As I've said elsewhere, Cameron made an error, but that's no reason to make it again. He probably thought that No was such a shoo-in there was no point arguing about the franchise.
    How exactly do you define a Scotch person? Both parents Scotch. One parent Scotch? Born within sight of a highland cow?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    Toby Young has commented, so does that mean the police are in the right here?

https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1332700653316083712?s=21
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Pulpstar said:

Please tell me there's some whitehall beurocrat who is actually in charge of the vaccination program and it's not just Zahawi winging it ?

There is some Whitehall bureaucrat having a target painted on their back ready for when Nadim/Johnson cock it up.
  • Options

In terms of sporting opponents I despise the Welsh are top of the league, even worse than Chelsea fans.
    I have accidentally flagged this with my fat fingers when trying to press the quote button on my mobile screen. I would like to offer my apologies, but on reading your post once again, the apology is retracted!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

A question to the SNATs:

Those eligible to vote in a Westminster general election in Scotland, ie no under 18s and no non-British, plus Scots living in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Would you accept ?

No.

2. It is unevenly applied - those incomers living in Scotland are allowed to vote.
    3. No existing listing - there is no official Scots nationality ergo no objective documentary criterion ([edit] I do know about FRance and expat French, but when there is an elecvtion in France the French take their passports along).

Letting Scots living in the rest of the UK (and indeed world) is no different to allowing ex-pats to vote. It's understood that they may well return to the UK one day and still have a real stake in its future. The criteria would simply be British citizenship and having been born in Scotland and/or having lived there for some minimum period of time.

I think Nats are against this and in favour of letting children and non-Brits vote not because of any real principle, but because they want to fix the franchise in their favour.

And if Mr Cameron was happy with the 2014 franchise, which was actually that for residents in Scotland and defined long before indyref 1, why change?
    Is your objection to this that it would be hard to implement and risks fraud, or that it would make it harder for Yes to win?

It wouldn't be that hard to implement. There are Council Tax and electoral roll records, I assume, which would be used to determine eligibility to vote for Scots outside Scotland.

As I've said elsewhere, Cameron made an error, but that's no reason to make it again. He probably thought that No was such a shoo-in there was no point arguing about the franchise.
    How exactly do you define a Scotch person? Both parents Scotch. One parent Scotch? Born within sight of a highland cow?
    Well it seems you can play for the Republic of Ireland if you've ever drunk Guinness so I reckon anyone who has drunk whisky qualifies as eligible to vote in any future Indyref2.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,886
    dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

There is some Whitehall bureaucrat having a target painted on their back ready for when Nadim/Johnson cock it up.
    The higher Civil Service must feel like a Mods' convention at present.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

A question to the SNATs:

Would you accept ?

No.

Well it seems you can play for the Republic of Ireland if you've ever drunk Guinness so I reckon anyone who has drunk whisky qualifies as eligible to vote in any future Indyref2.
    Surely "Ireland" as it includes NI?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Oi! Even if you find our effortless domination annoying there’s no need to be actually abusive.

Chelsea fans, FFS...
    It is true.

It has become worse ever since we won the world cup in 2003.

It has brought a nasty vicious side out in the Welsh.

I think the rugby world cups have shattered the Welsh perceived excellence in rugby, the English win it and go to finals, whilst the Welsh go out to Western Samoa.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

A question to the SNATs:

Would you accept ?

No.

Surely "Ireland" as it includes NI?
    Ah I was talking about the association football team not the rugby football team.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

ydoethur said:

Chelsea fans, FFS...
    It is true.

I think the rugby world cups have shattered the Welsh perceived excellence in rugby, the English win it and go to finals, whilst the Welsh go out to Western Samoa.
    ...and man alive, have you and your countrymen ever dined out on the 2003 World Cup.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,053

What, I thought she was going to be First Lady for four more years!

https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/1332699814396633090?s=20

Her husband is swapping her for Hope Hicks, so she'll be free to spend more time with her ghostwriter.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I find it quite bizarre that people assume that everyone knows the ins and outs of even close family member's finances to be honest and a little creepy. Most couples I know for example have a joint account for bills and each puts in an agreed amount every month and their own accounts are private.
    I've never really understood this. My wife and I just have a single joint account. Isn't sharing everything the whole point of being married?
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I've never really understood this. My wife and I just have a single joint account. Isn't sharing everything the whole point of being married?
    Fair enough, but two very important practical points -

(a) I find it a great relief that Mrs C and I each have our own, as well as a joint account - with 2 different banks, so if one bank falls over digitally or otherwise we still have some action.

(b) if one of two operators of a joiunt account dies then a joint account can sometimes be frozen (depends very much on the vagaries of the bank not to mention the staff involved at the moment critique). Just what one does not want at such a time.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Chelsea fans, FFS...
    It is true.

...and man alive, have you and your countrymen ever dined out on the 2003 World Cup.
    But it is the Welsh that seem obsessed by it.

I've been to Dublin, Edinburgh, and Paris on Six Nation weekends before and after 2003 and nothing has changed, it's fun, enjoyable, and banterful, but go to Cardiff and the Welsh have a nasty edge to it.

Honestly I would have thought after 2015 it would have allowed the Welsh to heal but no.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

ydoethur said:

Chelsea fans, FFS...
    It is true.

I've been to Dublin, Edinburgh, and Paris on Six Nation weekends before and after 2003 and nothing has changed, it's fun, enjoyable, and banterful, but go to Cardiff and the Welsh have a nasty edge to it.

Honestly I would have thought after 2015 it would have allowed the Welsh to heal but no.
    Have you ever seen a rugby related item presented by John Inverdale where the 2003 Rugby World Cup final doesn't get a mention?
  • Options
    Blatant knock on, incompetent officials give the Welsh an underserved try.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

The point is you have joint money for paying joint things then your own money which you can do with as you wish. It gets rid of all the discussions seen often in couples in your sort of arrangement...

You paid how much for a hairdo...you spent how much on a computer etc.

Her money is her money and I have no right to comment on what she does with it and vice versa. Probably in most cases 70% of monthly incomes are going into the joint account in any case.

Most people I know just prefer being in a situation where they don't have to say to their partner....would you mind if I spent some of the joint money on this which is just for me.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Chelsea fans, FFS...
    It is true.

Have you ever seen a rugby related item presented by John Inverdale where the 2003 Rugby World Cup final doesn't get a mention?
    Give it another 15-20 years, if 1966 and the footie are any guide.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Chelsea fans, FFS...
    It is true.

All the time.
  • Options

Blatant taking out in the air for the reverse.
  • Options
    That England are not 20 points up by now is the equivalent of failure.
  • Options
    isam said:

Toby Young has commented, so does that mean the police are in the right here?

https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1332700653316083712?s=21

What exactly are we supposed to have understood they done wrong? Overly mob handed perhaps, but no sign of brutality, bloke (deliberately? ill? drunk?) falls over whilst being arrested so officers hold him up and restrain.

Should he have been arrested in the first place, how can anyone tell from that clip alone?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Blatant taking out in the air for the reverse.
    It wasn't even close was it?
  • Options
    I put fifty quid on this England side given how shit Wales are.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I put fifty quid on this England side given how shit Wales are.

Rookie mistake, Wales always raise their game for Wales v. England.

This is their world cup final.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119
    rcs1000 said:

Her husband is swapping her for Hope Hicks, so she'll be free to spend more time with her ghostwriter.
    Thousands of ghostwriters are waiting to meet her.
  • Options
    That's the shit Wales we all know and love.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Gaussian said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18904314.jacob-rees-mogg-says-tories-must-undo-devolution-restore-constitution/

Mr R-M doing his best to win hearts and minds. Pretty obvious what he means.

'Rees-Mogg said that he appreciated his fellow Tory’s point, adding: “The last Labour government decided to take a wrecking ball to our constitution and made a bit of a muddle with it.

“Some of their most foolish interventions were their constitutional blunders which were out of step with many centuries of our parliamentary democracy. Blairite constitutional tinkering has weakened our parliament and has helped to divide the United Kingdom.

“I hope that this government finds an effective way of restoring our constitution to its proper form.”'

Memo: Devolution is even more popular in Scotland than independence.

Vote Tory End Devolution!
    Not quite the resonance of Take Back Control or Get Brexit Done imho.
    How about "Vote Tory Screw The Scots"?

Bit like 2015.
    The precious union:

It’s a good job they used a man not a woman in that ad...
    I'm probably being dim having to work through a tedious TS at the moment, but why should a woman make any difference? IIRC they showed Mr Miliband in Ms Sturgeon's pocket.
    You don’t think a photoshopped image of Salmond potentially reaching out to touch a woman’s arse might be a trifle - problematic?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

The point is you have joint money for paying joint things then your own money which you can do with as you wish. It gets rid of all the discussions seen often in couples in your sort of arrangement...

Her money is her money and I have no right to comment on what she does with it and vice versa. Probably in most cases 70% of monthly incomes are going into the joint account in any case.

Most people I know just prefer being in a situation where they don't have to say to their partner....would you mind if I spent some of the joint money on this which is just for me.
    Yes it probably means that we spend less money in total, which is good. Neither of us are big spenders anyway, I rarely buy anything at all apart from the weekly food shop, and I trust her to spend wisely on things she needs. Our incomes are very different too and in part that reflects career sacrifices she has made because of children so it wouldn't make sense to talk about her money or my money, it is all our money.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

(a) I find it a great relief that Mrs C and I each have our own, as well as a joint account - with 2 different banks, so if one bank falls over digitally or otherwise we still have some action.

(b) if one of two operators of a joiunt account dies then a joint account can sometimes be frozen (depends very much on the vagaries of the bank not to mention the staff involved at the moment critique). Just what one does not want at such a time.
    Both good points, but of course you can have as many current accounts as you want, and many banks will pay/incentivise you to open them. I have ended up with too many! But 1 is not enough imo.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

(b) seems kind of mad, what could possibly be the justification?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Gaussian said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18904314.jacob-rees-mogg-says-tories-must-undo-devolution-restore-constitution/

'Rees-Mogg said that he appreciated his fellow Tory’s point, adding: “The last Labour government decided to take a wrecking ball to our constitution and made a bit of a muddle with it.

“Some of their most foolish interventions were their constitutional blunders which were out of step with many centuries of our parliamentary democracy. Blairite constitutional tinkering has weakened our parliament and has helped to divide the United Kingdom.

“I hope that this government finds an effective way of restoring our constitution to its proper form.”'

Bit like 2015.
    The precious union:

I'm probably being dim having to work through a tedious TS at the moment, but why should a woman make any difference? IIRC they showed Mr Miliband in Ms Sturgeon's pocket.
    You don’t think a photoshopped image of Salmond potentially reaching out to touch a woman’s arse might be a trifle - problematic?
    Ah, I thought you meant a woman doing the stealing! The alternative had never occurred to me, partly because the dosh was so obvious, and partly because that ad antedated recent events.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Well Hicks already had a liaison with Corey Lewandowski, the worst person I have ever met, so clearly has terrible taste in men.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Both good points, but of course you can have as many current accounts as you want, and many banks will pay/incentivise you to open them. I have ended up with too many! But 1 is not enough imo.
    Really? I've had the same current account for thirty years and never had a problem with it.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Yes it probably means that we spend less money in total, which is good. Neither of us are big spenders anyway, I rarely buy anything at all apart from the weekly food shop, and I trust her to spend wisely on things she needs. Our incomes are very different too and in part that reflects career sacrifices she has made because of children so it wouldn't make sense to talk about her money or my money, it is all our money.
    The split on how much you each put in doesnt have to be 50:50. The way I have done it in the past is you add both monthly incomes subtract the budget then each put in an amount that leaves you the same amount each month for personal money. Don't forget most aren't high earners.

Now imagine after budget is spent you have about 200 left over a month between you. If you keep that joint when is someone ever going to feel its ok to spend 500 on something they really wanted? One of my exes did on a handbag...yes I don't understand it and if that 500 had come out of joint money I would probably have said hey hang on...and she would have felt guilty spending it. As it was her private money she got to buy guilt free and have something you really wanted. She wasn't much of a big spender either it was just something you really desired.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I know - but there are vasrious criteria and various staff interpretations (as I know from experience when older relatives died). Which say "Under Scottish law, a deceased’s share doesn’t pass automatically by survivorship to the remaining owner, but the bank may allow them to continue to operate it." So it may be a Scots Law issue.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,560
    edited November 2020

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

You have to understand the context, there's a lot of shits out there, who try and commit fraud when they realise someone has died, and try and empty out a bank account that doesn't belong to them.

When I was married we had a joint account which used to be one of single accounts which I added my wife to but my wife couldn't answer some basic questions like 'When did you open this account/where did you open it?' when she had some issues later on.

So it can be a mixture of banks being extra careful and simple verification not being passed, so the account is frozen until you go into a branch and prove a few things.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    I really enjoyed this article, Mr Herdson.

On the paragraph about the growth of media, I'll just throw out that Scottish Broadsheet journalism is largely of very low quality. There's nowhere really to go if you want to read what's happening in Scotland from a non-partisan source.
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

I really enjoyed this article, Mr Herdson.

On the paragraph about the growth of media, I'll just throw out that Scottish Broadsheet journalism is largely of very low quality. There's nowhere really to go if you want to read what's happening in Scotland from a non-partisan source.

Absolutely right. I really, really miss the Scotsman from before Mr Neil took over.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Really? I've had the same current account for thirty years and never had a problem with it.
    If they ever suspect your account of money laundering you might not have access to it for weeks or months and wont communicate with you or even your lawyer. Its obviously a slim chance it happens for most people, but when you get paid to take out the insurance of additional current accounts why not?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    What's your issue with his capabilities? Didn't he cofound YouGov and have a big job in the oil industry? Have i missed some massive project disaster he was personally responsible?
    He had some questionable dealings with Jeffrey Archer in the past.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1335675/Leaders-received-no-answers-over-charity-millions.html
    That's it, a story from 20 years ago?
    Wait until you hear about how far back into Corbyn's history the Tories went.
    Or indeed all those stories about drinking clubs at Oxford attended by Boris and David Cameron ...
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

The split on how much you each put in doesnt have to be 50:50. The way I have done it in the past is you add both monthly incomes subtract the budget then each put in an amount that leaves you the same amount each month for personal money. Don't forget most aren't high earners.

Now imagine after budget is spent you have about 200 left over a month between you. If you keep that joint when is someone ever going to feel its ok to spend 500 on something they really wanted? One of my exes did on a handbag...yes I don't understand it and if that 500 had come out of joint money I would probably have said hey hang on...and she would have felt guilty spending it. As it was her private money she got to buy guilt free and have something you really wanted. She wasn't much of a big spender either it was just something you really desired.
    It all sounds quite complicated! I suppose every couple has to find what works for them. Pooling our resources has always seemed to work out pretty well for us, money has never been a source of arguments, either when we were young and skint or now when we are better off. I think in general that relationships work better when you spend less time thinking about what is mine vs yours, be that money, chores or whatever, but that is perhaps an old fashioned view and a lot of people seem to prefer a more transactional approach.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Gaussian said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Bit like 2015.
    The precious union:

Ah, I thought you meant a woman doing the stealing! The alternative had never occurred to me, partly because the dosh was so obvious, and partly because that ad antedated recent events.

Ummmm...there had been rumours for a fair time, although they weren’t necessarily circulated among the general public.
    https://youtu.be/Y3kqYyezeTY
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

If they ever suspect your account of money laundering you might not have access to it for weeks or months and wont communicate with you or even your lawyer. Its obviously a slim chance it happens for most people, but when you get paid to take out the insurance of additional current accounts why not?
    I wonder whether operating multiple accounts might be a red flag for money laundering probes though!
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I wonder whether operating multiple accounts might be a red flag for money laundering probes though!
    Yes and no.

They won't look at if you've got around £85k in multiple accounts with different banks.
  • Options
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I had two current accounts for a couple of years - one being a shadow account where the SLC could pay money in, as I wouldn’t give them the details to my main account - and it didn’t trip any flags.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Yes and no.

They won't look at if you've got around £85k in multiple accounts with different banks.
    Its more common to have a card blocked temporarily by a banks fraud team if they suspect its be cloned etc, then a second account also comes in useful so you have a second card you can use till its sorted.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    The big trigger for money laundering probes is usually when you try and deposit lots of cash in branch over a certain time frame.

Other major trigger is when the bank thinks you're using a personal account for business purposes.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I had two current accounts for a couple of years - one being a shadow account where the SLC could pay money in, as I wouldn’t give them the details to my main account - and it didn’t trip any flags.
    It is completely mainstream and sensible to have multiple current accounts.

https://www.ii.co.uk/analysis-commentary/7-reasons-you-should-have-more-one-current-account-ii512664
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Gaussian said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Bit like 2015.
    The precious union:

Ummmm...there had been rumours for a fair time, although they weren’t necessarily circulated among the general public.
    Is that Ruth Davidson? I wouldn't [edit] have trusted anything she said, after the "burly men" allegations she came up with about intimidation at polling stations.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,374
    So when does the oven-ready deal that we were promised by the clown and his friends come out of the oven?
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

Welsh data in the last few days not looking good. If they really don't lock down again until Friday, the rise in reported numbers will continue until mid December, with the resulting spike in deaths around New Year. Cases/week/100,000 currently around 220. It looks likely they'll surpass the previous peek at 300.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

https://www.ii.co.uk/analysis-commentary/7-reasons-you-should-have-more-one-current-account-ii512664
    You always learn something new here. Not sure I could be arsed though.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I do find multiple accounts comforting in the same (perhaps illogical) way I like accumulating different pots of hard cash ie in the car (for parking and emergencies) , in my parkrun barcode wallet (so dont cart a bigger wallet round with me when i run) , in the kitchen (for petty cash) and of course a wad in my wallet.

As for joint accounts with partners i find it best not to be too anal (as that can cause arguments and resentment) but have some individual freedom and money so to not feel guilt about indulgent spending /punting
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    These things are very simple.

What's hers is hers.

What's mine is hers too.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

So when does the oven-ready deal that we were promised by the clown and his friends come out of the oven?

Blimey, you're not still waiting for that are you?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

That is fake news, he never ever promised he had an oven as well as an oven ready deal and you know it.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

IanB2 said:

That is fake news, he never ever promised he had an oven as well as an oven ready deal and you know it.
    Correct. He only had a fridge.
  • Options
    This sounds "dealy" to me - a lot of bilateral chitchat between the UK and France clearly going on:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55116475
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

"The deal was ready for the oven but the Brussels bureaucrats refused to bake it. That's why we have to leave with No Deal, so we can make our own ovens to our own standards!"
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

IanB2 said:

Fake news again! Matt Hancock bought him 5000 giant fridges for Brexit in 2018 to become the worlds largest buyer of fridges - and that is true!
  • Options
    The English half backs are dreadful and have been for 2 years now. Why do people pretend they are world class?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Gaussian said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Bit like 2015.
    The precious union:

Is that Ruth Davidson? I wouldn't [edit] have trusted anything she said, after the "burly men" allegations she came up with about intimidation at polling stations.
    It’s Ian Hislop’s face that’s significant. He had heard there was something funny going on but was far too careful to say it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Gaussian said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Bit like 2015.
    The precious union:

It’s Ian Hislop’s face that’s significant. He had heard there was something funny going on but was far too careful to say it.
    When was that broadcast, please?
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

IanB2 said:

He only had 5000 fridges.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The English half backs are dreadful and have been for 2 years now. Why do people pretend they are world class?

They got to the world cup final last year, ergo world class.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Gaussian said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Bit like 2015.
    The precious union:

Early 2015.

Edit - actually, October 2015, so not ‘early.’
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Gaussian said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Bit like 2015.
    The precious union:

Early 2015.

Edit - actually, October 2015, so not ‘early.’
    Thank you.
  • Options

Alistair said:

They got to the world cup final last year, ergo world class.
    Youngs has had good days. Farrell played like a sack of cement in the World Cup. He held England back against the All Blacks.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,542
    UK case numbers by specimen date

• Options
    UK case numbers by specimen date and scaled to 100k population

• Options
    UK local R

• Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    UK R

From case data

From hospitalisation data

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    What makes you say that?
    Maybe fact that he is an absolute useless bellend of a donkey. I would not trust him to run a bath.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    What makes you say that?
    Maybe fact that he is an absolute useless bellend of a donkey. I would not trust him to run a bath.
    That's a given from you though.
  • Options
    RobD said:

https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern/status/1332683908031377409

"relating to covid". What on earth does that mean?

Probably means people with Covid-19. As for the date, I believe all the tiers were decided based on data from last week.
    Jenrick is a Tory of the worst kind, why does this guy ask why he used incorrect data, it is inbred to ie , lie and lie some more.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern/status/1332683908031377409

"relating to covid". What on earth does that mean?

Probably means people with Covid-19. As for the date, I believe all the tiers were decided based on data from last week.
    Jenrick is a Tory of the worst kind, why does this guy ask why he used incorrect data, it is inbred to ie , lie and lie some more.
    The data is not incorrect, it is the data used when defining the tiers.
  • Options
    French protests against the latest security law have been pretty violent.

https://twitter.com/CNEWS/status/1332729038872449025
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

Essexit said:

Carnyx said:

A question to the SNATs:

Would you accept ?

No.

Exactly , what a bunch of tossers, only missing the dead counting as against independence. They want to F*** right off and leave it to the people of Scotland to decide what they want. Whinging arseholes never stop slagging us off but are desperate to hang on to us as prisoners.
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    What makes you say that?
    That's a given from you though.
    I bet you cannot honestly deny it without lying.
  • Options

French protests against the latest security law have been pretty violent.

https://twitter.com/CNEWS/status/1332729038872449025

The French rozzers have given them every excuse

https://www.dw.com/en/france-police-officers-accused-of-beating-black-music-producer-arrested/a-55751710
This discussion has been closed.