Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,451
    nichomar said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

I agree, fishing is non negotiable, both as the Tories won so many fishing ports at GE19 and as they are targeting fishing port constituencies at Holyrood next year like Moray currently held by the SNP.

Compromise may be possible on the LPA and regulatory alignment though as that would still allow the UK to do a FTA that ends free movement and allows us to do our own trade deals

Should the priority be the country or the Conservative party?
    Is there a difference?

The country overwhelmingly elected the Conservative Party. If the country wants a different parties principles then they can elect a different one at the next election.
    The country didn’t overwhelmingly elect a conservative government, it got less than50% of the vote so is a minority administration. It was also elected to look after the interests of all its residents as far as is possible and has a responsibility to seek fairness. This government does not try to do anything but look after those who pay the piper (And I don’t mean the average tax payer) knowing it can get away with it And will continue to do so. So much for democracy.
    47% in Britain voted either Conservative, Brexit Party or UKIP. Under most voting systems that would give a majority.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    HYUFD said:

I would happily back a Labour or LD FM, though not a Green as they back independence.

I would also happily stand down all Scottish Conservative candidates for the constituency seats at Holyrood next year where the Scottish Conservatives were not in first or second place in 2021 and just stand Tory candidates for the list in those areas

Just so I'm clear - you would advocate Scottish Conservatives NOT standing in seats where they weren't first or second last time and not contesting any seat where they were second but the winner was Labour or Lib Dem and you would expect reciprocity.

Fair enough - Labour would be the Unionist Alliance candidate in twice as many SNP seats as the Conservative with the LDs in two or three others.

Some of the SNP seats are held with large majorities and 59 of the 63 SNP members won through the constituencies with just four coming off the Regional AMs. Indeed, Conservative, Labour and LD won 46 of 60 seats through the AM system.

In practice, taking 10-12 SNP seats would be enough to deprive the SNP-Green grouping of their majority with Lab, Con and LD having maybe 70-72 between them so a majority to form an administration but even if the Conservatives won more seats than Labour you would support a Labour FM if it were the price of Labour's support.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited August 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

moonshine said:

Brexit shmexit... other than the extremists and obsessives, people are just tired of it all by now. Without movement on fish then WTO it shall be. Which will prove at a macro level to be a storm in a teacup. Still time for a compromise if Mutti steps in but at this point I’m not sure anyone much cares either way.

That sounds about right. It's old news, and there's not going to be a deal because the relatively loose relationship on the table isn't worth either side compromising its objectives. The EU demands close alignment (to stop the UK competing against it effectively, to assert the form of control that it expects across the whole continent, and because a successful Brexit would provide an exit plan for other members that might grow restive in future to follow,) and the UK Government has been elected under such terms that not only does it not want to give in, it couldn't yield even if it did.

Thus the Northern Ireland protocols survive - because the Government doesn't want to stir the hornet's nest on the peace process, the province is of peripheral value to it, and a hard border would wreck its relationship with the Americans - but beyond that there's not much else left to be discussed.

This is just the logical conclusion to everything that's happened since Cameron tried to negotiate a new relationship with the EU from within, and came away with nothing. At every stage the EU raises the hand and expects the UK to cave, but in the end the UK (other than in the special case of the Irish border, where it has sufficient motivation to give in) ends up not doing so, and is therefore pushed further and further away. And so, having started out basically wanting some modest tweaks to migration policy, Britain has ultimately ended up outside all of the EU's structures, whilst the EU has seen its north-western flank fall into the sea, taking its largest city and one of its key member states with it, and its project to unite the continent has been destroyed.

I would say that the moral of this story is all about the damage that inflexibility and an unwillingness to compromise can do, but then again the UK Government keeps throwing money and powers at Scotland and a fat lot of good that's done it. Perhaps, instead, the real story here is about the inevitable fate of those political structures that attempt to bring nations together? Sooner or later, either those nations have to merge into one seamless and virtually homogeneous whole - how many people still identify as Prussian, let alone favour secession from Germany? - or tensions between them will eventually break the whole structure apart. As with England and the EU, so with Scotland and the UK - once popular opinion in one state concludes that the centre of power is remote and acts in a manner inimical to its interests, then interest in and loyalty to the wider structure collapses and secession becomes a matter of when, not if.

Once the number of people who viewed the EU as poison, or at the very least a tedious burden that we could manage perfectly well without, passed a critical threshold then Brexit became inevitable.
    The point that Brexiteers and Scottish Nationalists both miss is that Scotland did endorse the Union in 2014 by some margin. Brexit and Johnson have turned that support into antipathy so independence is now the majority opinion. No-one who voted Leave genuinely cares about the Union.
    I was working in Edinburgh at the time of the vote (by the way I didn't vote). The feeling I got (and this is purely anecdotal) amongst those who I believe were non-aligned but probably voted 'no', was not one of happiness or even relief. It was a sort of sharpness and almost guilt, like really they wished they'd had more bottle. It never felt like the end of the argument, because it was not people really feeling at home in the union.
    That is a clear eyed and somewhat gloomy depiction of 2014 for someone who's invariably pro Union. Can I ask (without any intention to troll), can you see the current crop of Unionists managing to increase that sense of comfort within the Union? Sunak alone seems to have some meager positive currency, as it were, but Gove, BJ, Galloway(!) etc seem to inspire large dollops of amused contempt.
    I gave it a like when it appeared. I'd be interested to know too.
    On the Holyrood metric of 'let's have him/her as leader because there's no one else left', it looks like Gove will lead Bettertogether II by default. This below will be played on a loop, no doubt to cries of 'Gove's the man the Nats REALLY fear!'.

https://twitter.com/Ian_Fraser/status/1133074085888577536?s=20
    Since when have Scottish people not been allowed to make fun of other Scottish people?
    This is the whole freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from people calling you an arsehole situation
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,590

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Jonathan said:

Barnesian said:

I hope it is a very painful
    No Deal totally owned by this government and its supporters, but I suspect that Cummings won't allow that.

Remain lost, get over it.
    That’s all Brexiteers have. We won. That’s it.

No articulation of any benefits of Brexit, no adaptation to the current circumstances. No attempt to win anyone over or find a positive case.

Just we won, we will do it, to hell with the consequences and damn the rest of you.

I see the r rate for Remainerdepression is back on the rise.
    He has a point. What's it all for? Other than fish obviously.
    Who are we going to sell the fish to? We are closing off our main market for goods.
    we can always eat more of it ourselves.

It will vary our diet from eating grass.
    Brits do not like fish all that much. It is why we sell our fish.

Now, if we could develop a wild McDonalds burger that could be harvested (ideally living in a clamshell style bap) then no doubt we would eat every single one...
    Actually Brits love fish but they only like a resticted range. A bit of education would do wonders to widening what we like.
    They tried that in the war. Brexiters ought to be forcefed on snoek and rock salmon for the rest of their lives.
    Your country needs YOU... to eat bloater paste!

Well, herring can't be deep-fried so we have to find some other way of making it 'easy'.

(But it shallow-fries very well after being dipped in oatmeal - had it with new potatoes a few days ago.)
    Sounds yum.
    I forgot, it was filleted - much easier to cook evenly than a whole herring.
  • Options
    Does anyone know what the weather forecast is at the Ageas Bowl for the next few days?

Without wanting to jinx our batsmen I'm enjoying this innings and its only Day 2 so I'm hopeful they don't feel the pressure for an early declaration later today if they're still batting.
  • Options
  • Options

Does anyone know what the weather forecast is at the Ageas Bowl for the next few days?

Without wanting to jinx our batsmen I'm enjoying this innings and its only Day 2 so I'm hopeful they don't feel the pressure for an early declaration later today if they're still batting.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk

type in Southampton and there you are - 5 days (and NB wind warning coming up)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    Ugh. How can anyone justify suporting this corpulent shitsack? Not letting this twat get down to Westminster and get his mug on the TV is the best argument yet I've seen for shutting the border.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,224
    Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Worrying trend in Scotland:

https://twitter.com/Craigmiller1986/status/1297160328946606080?s=20

Anyone any idea why testing capacity not being fully utilised?

More than half of them are from the food factory in Coupar.
    Wonder why they put the testing centre 14 miles away?

https://twitter.com/NHSTayside/status/1297081070869983243?s=20
    Perhaps most of them live there? Coupar Angus is only a wee bit place.
    Co-location with other test facilities?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I would happily back a Labour or LD FM, though not a Green as they back independence.

I would also happily stand down all Scottish Conservative candidates for the constituency seats at Holyrood next year where the Scottish Conservatives were not in first or second place in 2021 and just stand Tory candidates for the list in those areas

Just so I'm clear - you would advocate Scottish Conservatives NOT standing in seats where they weren't first or second last time and not contesting any seat where they were second but the winner was Labour or Lib Dem and you would expect reciprocity.

Fair enough - Labour would be the Unionist Alliance candidate in twice as many SNP seats as the Conservative with the LDs in two or three others.

Some of the SNP seats are held with large majorities and 59 of the 63 SNP members won through the constituencies with just four coming off the Regional AMs. Indeed, Conservative, Labour and LD won 46 of 60 seats through the AM system.

In practice, taking 10-12 SNP seats would be enough to deprive the SNP-Green grouping of their majority with Lab, Con and LD having maybe 70-72 between them so a majority to form an administration but even if the Conservatives won more seats than Labour you would support a Labour FM if it were the price of Labour's support.
    I would advocate Scottish Conservatives not standing in seats they did not already hold or where they were second to the SNP yes, if they were second but Labour or the LDs rather were first they would still stand but I don't think there are any such seats.

I am happy for Labour to be the Unionist Alliance challengers to the SNP across Glasgow and the Central Belt and most of Edinburgh bar central and West yes and would stand not a single Tory candidate in those constituency seats only on the list.

I would also support a Labour FM to keep out Sturgeon too yes.

Labour has won Edinburgh South through Tory support to keep out the SNP for instance
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

I see that @HYUFD is claiming that voters at the last election voted for a hard Brexit.

Not so.

The Tory manifesto says this: “We will negotiate a trade agreement next year - one that strengthens our Union....”. Page 5 if anyone is interested.

Those who voted Tory did not vote for a hard Brexit ie an exit without any trade agreement with the EU.

That is if they believed a word the Tories told them, which given their record might be a tad foolish.

'We will keep the UK out of the single market, out of any form of customs union, and end the role of the European Court of Justice.

This future relationship will be one that
    allows us to:
     Take back control of our laws.
     Take back control of our money.
     Control our own trade policy.
     Introduce an Australian-style points based immigration system.
     Raise standards in areas like workers’ rights, animal welfare, agriculture and the environment.
     Ensure we are in full control of our fishing waters.

...and we will not extend the implementation period beyond December 2020.'

Also page 5

https://assets-global.website-files.com/5da42e2cae7ebd3f8bde353c/5dda924905da587992a064ba_Conservative 2019 Manifesto.pdf

So we can have a trade deal but only provided the EU agrees to allow the UK to do all it wants to do in the future relationship
    I’ve read page 5 in full. Indeed, I’ve read the entire manifesto in full. It categorically does not promise a Hard Brexit, which is what you claimed. Anyone reading this - and believing it - did not vote for a Hard Brexit.

The Hard Brexiteers have consistently lied about what their ultimate destination was, from 2016 onwards. As you must have doubtless realised, since you voted Remain. The fact that they are lying now is no surprise.
    Wrong. A hard Brexit by definition means leaving the single market and customs union which was precisely what the 2019 Tory manifesto promised.

The manifesto also said we could still do a trade deal with the EU true but also promised, for instance, to regain full control of our fishing waters, which is something the EU is refusing to budge on. If so the manifesto also promised no extension of the implementation period beyond December deal or no deal.
    I agree that the Tory manifesto promised to have cake and eat it, promising a trade agreement yet setting criteria that make that impossible.

A WTO Brexit is the inevitable consequence of Brexit, anything softer was always a chimera, used by the Brexiteers to get over the line. If no European rules are to be applied there can be no Trade Deal. No leading Brexiteer has advocated anything like a soft Brexit since June 2016.
    Its not impossible. A Canadian style FTA that Barnier originally said was possible meets every single criteria. As Barnier said years ago. The criteria that exist make one type of trade agreement very possible.

Possible.

Depending on what is included, such as the LPF we agreed to in the WDA. That is what Barnier wants, us to stick to our word.

The same LPF conditions as Canada?
    The LPF we agreed in the WDA PD.
    Great. Just copy and paste the agreed WDA PD word-for-word into the new legal document and go with that. What's the issue?

Or did you forget the WDA PD was a political text and no legal LPF was agreed in the first place then? Which is the issue now.
    The thing is we do not get to dictate the counter parties position.

It is why I expect no Trade Agreement, though there may be bare bones agreements on flights etc.
    The other party can say what they want as can we - but objectively no LPF was legally agreed in the WDA PD last year and our ambition for a Canada style LPF is entirely in line with the text that was agreed last year.

You don't get to rewrite the WDA PD to claim it agreed things that were never agreed at all.
    "XIV. LEVEL PLAYING FIELD FOR OPEN AND FAIR COMPETITION
    77. Given the Union and the United Kingdom's geographic proximity and economic
    interdependence, the future relationship must ensure open and fair competition,
    encompassing robust commitments to ensure a level playing field. The precise nature of
    commitments should be commensurate with the scope and depth of the future relationship
    and the economic connectedness of the Parties. These commitments should prevent
    distortions of trade and unfair competitive advantages. To that end, the Parties should
    uphold the common high standards applicable in the Union and the United Kingdom at the
    end of the transition period in the areas of state aid, competition, social and employment standards, environment, climate change, and relevant tax matters. The Parties should in
    particular maintain a robust and comprehensive framework for competition and state aid
    control that prevents undue distortion of trade and competition; commit to the principles of
    good governance in the area of taxation and to the curbing of harmful tax practices; and
    maintain environmental, social and employment standards at the current high levels
    provided by the existing common standards. In so doing, they should rely on appropriate and
    relevant Union and international standards, and include appropriate mechanisms to ensure
    effective implementation domestically, enforcement and dispute settlement. The future
    relationship should also promote adherence to and effective implementation of relevant
    internationally agreed principles and rules in these domains, including the Paris Agreement."

That is what we committed to.

Precisely. Vague committments to have an LPF but no specific agreement on how it would legally operate. CETA has an LPF and that is the precedence that the UK negotiators want to follow. Indeed that is in fitting with what was agreed in the PD.

The precise nature of commitments should be commensurate with the scope and depth of the future relationship and the economic connectedness of the Parties.

The PD literally says that the precise nature of commitments should be commensurate with the scope and depth of the future relations, which we are now negotiating, but Barnier isn't wanting to stick with that. The UK is. Barnier is the one going against the PD.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

It is an interesting idea but assumes a level of voter cooperation which may not be there when push comes to shove.
  • Options

Ugh. How can anyone justify suporting this corpulent shitsack? Not letting this twat get down to Westminster and get his mug on the TV is the best argument yet I've seen for shutting the border.
    Typical of the SNP and it’s supporters. Really unpleasant politics.

Of course the English hating Scottish nationalists were at the border recently shouting ‘fuck,off back to England’ at the cars driving past.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,962
    Andy_JS said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

moonshine said:

Brexit shmexit... other than the extremists and obsessives, people are just tired of it all by now. Without movement on fish then WTO it shall be. Which will prove at a macro level to be a storm in a teacup. Still time for a compromise if Mutti steps in but at this point I’m not sure anyone much cares either way.

That sounds about right. It's old news, and there's not going to be a deal because the relatively loose relationship on the table isn't worth either side compromising its objectives. The EU demands close alignment (to stop the UK competing against it effectively, to assert the form of control that it expects across the whole continent, and because a successful Brexit would provide an exit plan for other members that might grow restive in future to follow,) and the UK Government has been elected under such terms that not only does it not want to give in, it couldn't yield even if it did.

Thus the Northern Ireland protocols survive - because the Government doesn't want to stir the hornet's nest on the peace process, the province is of peripheral value to it, and a hard border would wreck its relationship with the Americans - but beyond that there's not much else left to be discussed.

This is just the logical conclusion to everything that's happened since Cameron tried to negotiate a new relationship with the EU from within, and came away with nothing. At every stage the EU raises the hand and expects the UK to cave, but in the end the UK (other than in the special case of the Irish border, where it has sufficient motivation to give in) ends up not doing so, and is therefore pushed further and further away. And so, having started out basically wanting some modest tweaks to migration policy, Britain has ultimately ended up outside all of the EU's structures, whilst the EU has seen its north-western flank fall into the sea, taking its largest city and one of its key member states with it, and its project to unite the continent has been destroyed.

I would say that the moral of this story is all about the damage that inflexibility and an unwillingness to compromise can do, but then again the UK Government keeps throwing money and powers at Scotland and a fat lot of good that's done it. Perhaps, instead, the real story here is about the inevitable fate of those political structures that attempt to bring nations together? Sooner or later, either those nations have to merge into one seamless and virtually homogeneous whole - how many people still identify as Prussian, let alone favour secession from Germany? - or tensions between them will eventually break the whole structure apart. As with England and the EU, so with Scotland and the UK - once popular opinion in one state concludes that the centre of power is remote and acts in a manner inimical to its interests, then interest in and loyalty to the wider structure collapses and secession becomes a matter of when, not if.

Once the number of people who viewed the EU as poison, or at the very least a tedious burden that we could manage perfectly well without, passed a critical threshold then Brexit became inevitable.
    The point that Brexiteers and Scottish Nationalists both miss is that Scotland did endorse the Union in 2014 by some margin. Brexit and Johnson have turned that support into antipathy so independence is now the majority opinion. No-one who voted Leave genuinely cares about the Union.
    I was working in Edinburgh at the time of the vote (by the way I didn't vote). The feeling I got (and this is purely anecdotal) amongst those who I believe were non-aligned but probably voted 'no', was not one of happiness or even relief. It was a sort of sharpness and almost guilt, like really they wished they'd had more bottle. It never felt like the end of the argument, because it was not people really feeling at home in the union.
    That is a clear eyed and somewhat gloomy depiction of 2014 for someone who's invariably pro Union. Can I ask (without any intention to troll), can you see the current crop of Unionists managing to increase that sense of comfort within the Union? Sunak alone seems to have some meager positive currency, as it were, but Gove, BJ, Galloway(!) etc seem to inspire large dollops of amused contempt.
    On the Holyrood metric of 'let's have him/her as leader because there's no one else left', it looks like Gove will lead Bettertogether II by default. This below will be played on a loop, no doubt to cries of 'Gove's the man the Nats REALLY fear!'.

Since when have Scottish people not been allowed to make fun of other Scottish people?
    Never obviously, since there we have a Scots person making fun of other Scottish people. By the same token people are allowed to bring up that 'making fun' as much as they like.

Of course in right wing snowflake world, highlighting what people do and say is not allowing them to do and say stuff.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Gove isn't, that is why he has been secretly meeting other Unionist parties.

From what I understand there is a serious prospect the Scottish Conservatives will not stand at Holyrood in 2021 in constituency seats which they do not already hold or were not in second place in in 2016 and obviously they would hope Labour and the LDs would reciprocate in Tory held Holyrood constituency seats but still obviously nothing confirmed yet

As a bit of fun on a Saturday afternoon, imagine this:

It's 2013 and Nick Clegg meets David Cameron and says:

"Prime Minister, I think the Coalition is doing a great job and I'd like it to continue into a second Parliament but that can only happen if a Lib Dem presence is guaranteed and I am aware your Party is steeping up its campaigning in seats held by my Party.

I offer you this - a continuation of the Coalition in the next Parliament but all Conservative campaigning has to end in seats currently held by the Liberal Democrats. We will do the same in Conservative seats and will not stand candidates against sitting Conservative MPs. In return, I would expect no Conservative candidate in seats held by my party.

As for seats held by Labour, if your party is the challenger, we will stand aside but if we are in second place based on the 2010 results, I would expect the Conservatives to stand aside.

If the Coalition is returned with a majority, we would support a referendum on the renegotiated basis of Britain's membership of the European Union. The Liberal Democrats would support continued membership and would campaign on that basis but the Conservative Party's position is for you to decide."

Do you think Cameron would or should have accepted such a proposal?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Good point. Then let's hope the genie isn't already out of the bottle:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/perth-kinross/1526470/hold-for-provost-comments-government-teams-investigate-links-between-coupar-angus-factory-and-two-further-tayside-food-plants/
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Thanks. Looks like Day 5 will be the most concerning.

I suppose the fact that Pakistan must win but a draw is enough for England lessens the pressure for an early declaration.
  • Options
    felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

It is an interesting idea but assumes a level of voter cooperation which may not be there when push comes to shove.
    Not to mention the effect on Labour oif actuallyt governing in coalition with the Tories. They're already doing it informally in local gmt and formally in Aberdeen (technically including Independents [= shy Tories in this context] and Labour party councillors technically still suspended).

And it coiuld lead to a split within the Labour Party as well, with a part of iut allying with the SNP, Greens and true Independent MSPs.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

moonshine said:

The clip is from a c4 comedy show. The superb Tracey Macleod was also on it.
  • Options
    Re the cricket why have England not opened up and slogged to the boundary
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Not to mention the effect on Labour oif actuallyt governing in coalition with the Tories. They're already doing it informally in local gmt and formally in Aberdeen (technically including Independents [= shy Tories in this context] and Labour party councillors technically still suspended).

And it coiuld lead to a split within the Labour Party as well, with a part of iut allying with the SNP, Greens and true Independent MSPs.
    Fine, the support of Unionist Tories would far outweigh any nationalists who went SNP at Holyrood, it is Scottish Tories who ensure Ian Murray is still an MP.

• Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

From what I understand there is a serious prospect the Scottish Conservatives will not stand at Holyrood in 2021 in constituency seats which they do not already hold or were not in second place in in 2016 and obviously they would hope Labour and the LDs would reciprocate in Tory held Holyrood constituency seats but still obviously nothing confirmed yet

"Prime Minister, I think the Coalition is doing a great job and I'd like it to continue into a second Parliament but that can only happen if a Lib Dem presence is guaranteed and I am aware your Party is steeping up its campaigning in seats held by my Party.

I offer you this - a continuation of the Coalition in the next Parliament but all Conservative campaigning has to end in seats currently held by the Liberal Democrats. We will do the same in Conservative seats and will not stand candidates against sitting Conservative MPs. In return, I would expect no Conservative candidate in seats held by my party.

As for seats held by Labour, if your party is the challenger, we will stand aside but if we are in second place based on the 2010 results, I would expect the Conservatives to stand aside.

If the Coalition is returned with a majority, we would support a referendum on the renegotiated basis of Britain's membership of the European Union. The Liberal Democrats would support continued membership and would campaign on that basis but the Conservative Party's position is for you to decide."

Yes, he should have done. But he wouldn’t. He was too petrified of the barking mad hard Tory right.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    edited August 2020
    Trump's speech is going to be fascinating. Will he seek to just shore up his base with an hour long rant about law and order and cities in flames whilst raving about communists taking over the democratic party? Or will he try to reach out to independents?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Good point. Then let's hope the genie isn't already out of the bottle:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/perth-kinross/1526470/hold-for-provost-comments-government-teams-investigate-links-between-coupar-angus-factory-and-two-further-tayside-food-plants/
    Quite - andf if those plants are on the other side of Dundee that might explain the location.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

No as he led half the polls and the existence of the country was not at stake, in Scotland the SNP lead the polls and the existence of the UK is at stake
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

Carnyx said:

Thanks. Looks like Day 5 will be the most concerning.

I suppose the fact that Pakistan must win but a draw is enough for England lessens the pressure for an early declaration.
    Although this counts towards the Test Championship, so England have an incentive to win the game.
  • Options

Typical of the SNP and it’s supporters. Really unpleasant politics.

Of course the English hating Scottish nationalists were at the border recently shouting ‘fuck,off back to England’ at the cars driving past.
    Funny, thought you were all against personal abuse. One way traffic evidently.
  • Options

Its a Test not a One Dayer?

Its only Day Two and there've been many boundaries and even sixes but there's no need to throw their bat away.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Fine, the support of Unionist Tories would far outweigh any nationalists who went SNP at Holyrood, it is Scottish Tories who ensure Ian Murray is still an MP.

You really don't read my posts. I didn;t say that Labour MSPs would join the SNP - simply that they might ally with the pro-independence parties. It's an important distinction.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

From what I understand there is a serious prospect the Scottish Conservatives will not stand at Holyrood in 2021 in constituency seats which they do not already hold or were not in second place in in 2016 and obviously they would hope Laboe ur and the LDs would reciprocate in Tory held Holyrood constituency seats but still obviously nothing confirmed yet

Interesting question. He might have been tempted - but equally he might have been concerned as to whether the Lib Dems could be relied upon - even if Clegg meant it if the Lib Dems were in a position to work with Miliband then many like Vince Cable would want to do that.
  • Options

Its only Day Two and there've been many boundaries and even sixes but there's no need to throw their bat away.
    I know but this game is won unless the weather intervenes

Quick dash for runs then bowl them out twice
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

I see that @HYUFD is claiming that voters at the last election voted for a hard Brexit.

Not so.

The Tory manifesto says this: “We will negotiate a trade agreement next year - one that strengthens our Union....”. Page 5 if anyone is interested.

Those who voted Tory did not vote for a hard Brexit ie an exit without any trade agreement with the EU.

That is if they believed a word the Tories told them, which given their record might be a tad foolish.

'We will keep the UK out of the single market, out of any form of customs union, and end the role of the European Court of Justice.

allows us to:
     Raise standards in areas like workers’ rights, animal welfare, agriculture and the environment.

Also page 5

https://assets-global.website-files.com/5da42e2cae7ebd3f8bde353c/5dda924905da587992a064ba_Conservative 2019 Manifesto.pdf

So we can have a trade deal but only provided the EU agrees to allow the UK to do all it wants to do in the future relationship
    I’ve read page 5 in full. Indeed, I’ve read the entire manifesto in full. It categorically does not promise a Hard Brexit, which is what you claimed. Anyone reading this - and believing it - did not vote for a Hard Brexit.

The Hard Brexiteers have consistently lied about what their ultimate destination was, from 2016 onwards. As you must have doubtless realised, since you voted Remain. The fact that they are lying now is no surprise.
    Wrong. A hard Brexit by definition means leaving the single market and customs union which was precisely what the 2019 Tory manifesto promised.

The manifesto also said we could still do a trade deal with the EU true but also promised, for instance, to regain full control of our fishing waters, which is something the EU is refusing to budge on. If so the manifesto also promised no extension of the implementation period beyond December deal or no deal.
    I agree that the Tory manifesto promised to have cake and eat it, promising a trade agreement yet setting criteria that make that impossible.

A WTO Brexit is the inevitable consequence of Brexit, anything softer was always a chimera, used by the Brexiteers to get over the line. If no European rules are to be applied there can be no Trade Deal. No leading Brexiteer has advocated anything like a soft Brexit since June 2016.
    Its not impossible. A Canadian style FTA that Barnier originally said was possible meets every single criteria. As Barnier said years ago. The criteria that exist make one type of trade agreement very possible.

Possible.

Depending on what is included, such as the LPF we agreed to in the WDA. That is what Barnier wants, us to stick to our word.

Great. Just copy and paste the agreed WDA PD word-for-word into the new legal document and go with that. What's the issue?

Or did you forget the WDA PD was a political text and no legal LPF was agreed in the first place then? Which is the issue now.

It is why I expect no Trade Agreement, though there may be bare bones agreements on flights etc.
    The other party can say what they want as can we - but objectively no LPF was legally agreed in the WDA PD last year and our ambition for a Canada style LPF is entirely in line with the text that was agreed last year.

You don't get to rewrite the WDA PD to claim it agreed things that were never agreed at all.
    encompassing robust commitments to ensure a level playing field. The precise nature of
    commitments should be commensurate with the scope and depth of the future relationship
    distortions of trade and unfair competitive advantages. To that end, the Parties should
    uphold the common high standards applicable in the Union and the United Kingdom at the
    end of the transition period in the areas of state aid, competition, social and employment standards, environment, climate change, and relevant tax matters. The Parties should in
    particular maintain a robust and comprehensive framework for competition and state aid
    control that prevents undue distortion of trade and competition; commit to the principles of
    good governance in the area of taxation and to the curbing of harmful tax practices; and
    maintain environmental, social and employment standards at the current high levels
    provided by the existing common standards. In so doing, they should rely on appropriate and
    relevant Union and international standards, and include appropriate mechanisms to ensure
    effective implementation domestically, enforcement and dispute settlement. The future
    relationship should also promote adherence to and effective implementation of relevant
    internationally agreed principles and rules in these domains, including the Paris Agreement."

Precisely. Vague committments to have an LPF but no specific agreement on how it would legally operate. CETA has an LPF and that is the precedence that the UK negotiators want to follow. Indeed that is in fitting with what was agreed in the PD.

The precise nature of commitments should be commensurate with the scope and depth of the future relationship and the economic connectedness of the Parties.

The PD literally says that the precise nature of commitments should be commensurate with the scope and depth of the future relations, which we are now negotiating, but Barnier isn't wanting to stick with that. The UK is. Barnier is the one going against the PD.
    Yes - Barnier yesterday made clear that any trade deal will be tied to an LPF - they're ignoring commensurate with the scope and depth of the future relationship and the economic connectedness of the Parties
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006

They're only on Day 2 and 400 isn't really that much
  • Options

I know but this game is won unless the weather intervenes

Quick dash for runs then bowl them out twice
    Nothing's won yet. Pakistan can bat and could still win from here. Hypothetically we could go all out for 500, they could be 100-1 tonight, get all out for 400 tomorrow, skittle us for 100 on day 4 setting themselves a target of 200 in the final innings for victory.

On the other hand we could keep playing as we are, still be batting tomorrow and comprehensively bat them out of the game - and have the option to enforce a declaration and have them batting for a second time already on day 4.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited August 2020

Maybe but the commentators are talking about a declaration. Now 451

They do seem to be walking down the pitch now, maybe the skipper reads PB
  • Options

Interesting question. He might have been tempted - but equally he might have been concerned as to whether the Lib Dems could be relied upon - even if Clegg meant it if the Lib Dems were in a position to work with Miliband then many like Vince Cable would want to do that.

There would have been no Labour majority had the Coalition retained all its seats. As to whether Labour would have made gains in a Coalition coupon election I don't know but they would still have needed SNP support (I've not mentioned Scotland specifically in the scenario as the second big shock of 2015 was the SNP advance).

I also think having been in Coalition with the Conservatives since 2010, it's hard to see Labour wanting to give any succour to the LDs.
  • Options

Maybe but the commentators are talking about a declaration. Now 451
    That's what commentators always do.

250 up for Crawley with another boundary. 🏏
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,526

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Not so.

allows us to:

Also page 5

Possible.

No, an extensive deal requires much more specific LPF and the first sentence emphasises that geography and integration make the UK a different kettle of fish to other FTAs.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Not so.

allows us to:

Also page 5

Possible.

No, an extensive deal requires much more specific LPF and the first sentence emphasises that geography and integration make the UK a different kettle of fish to other FTAs.

They are just scared of competition
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Not so.

allows us to:

Also page 5

Possible.

Not what Barnier said yesterday:

https://twitter.com/nick_gutteridge/status/1296740738898767877?s=20
    "low quality agreement" still requires the LPF of "an extensive deal".
  • Options
    England case data by specimen date - absolute -

• Options
    England case data by specimen date - scaled to 100k population -

• Options
    stodge said:

There would have been no Labour majority had the Coalition retained all its seats. As to whether Labour would have made gains in a Coalition coupon election I don't know but they would still have needed SNP support (I've not mentioned Scotland specifically in the scenario as the second big shock of 2015 was the SNP advance).

I also think having been in Coalition with the Conservatives since 2010, it's hard to see Labour wanting to give any succour to the LDs.
    Milliband didn't need to win many seats to potentially become Prime Minister. If he'd taken some off the Lib Dems and very few off the Tories then a Labour+LD coalition becomes viable.

As for whether Labour would want to give any succour to the LDs - its irrelevant the moment the votes are cast. If Milliband wanted to be PM and needed the LDs then he'd have no choice - and if the LDs were offered what they wanted (eg electoral reform or something else) then any promises Clegg had made be worthless.
  • Options
    England case data by specimen date - regional summation

So far, looks like after the Northampton episode we are back to a slow, steady increase.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Fuck me.

One more run and this is the highest score by an England no. 3 since 1936.

And with due respect to the great Wally Hammond, New Zealand were hardly Test standard in those days.
  • Options

So far, looks like after the Northampton episode we are back to a slow, steady increase.

Looks like a decrease this week to me.

Even if Northampton hadn't happened it was increasing anyway before and looks to me like the local lockdowns across the North West are now working, the North West seems to be the biggest change to me and Northampton isn't there.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Not so.

allows us to:

Also page 5

Possible.

Despite the PD.

And of course the UK has access to the market even on WTO terms. Time approaching to walk away.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    @CarlottaVance

Yes - Barnier yesterday made clear that any trade deal will be tied to an LPF

In what way is that contrary to the PD?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    To @Theuniondivvie, you asked about Unionist politicians and whether any of them can help turn the tide and make us all feel we live in a union that belongs to us. I really have no idea. I'm not really sure if an individual is the solution. Showing up is a start. Even an abortive holiday where a grumpy farmer does a tabloid expose on your tent building is some sort of learning experience.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Not so.

allows us to:

Also page 5

Possible.

Despite the PD.

And of course the UK has access to the market even on WTO terms. Time approaching to walk away.
    Looks like it
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Not so.

allows us to:

Also page 5

Possible.

It does no such thing. It simply says there must be an LPF - but an LPF always occurs in detailed FTAs anyway.

Furthermore it explicitly states that the precise nature of the LPF is yet to be agreed and will need to be negotiated commensurate with the future relationship - also yet to be agreed.

PS it was the EUs choice to sequence the talks so that the future relationship (and the LPF as a result) are being negotiated last. They could have started these talks years ago but they chose not to do so.
  • Options

Even if Northampton hadn't happened it was increasing anyway before and looks to me like the local lockdowns across the North West are now working, the North West seems to be the biggest change to me and Northampton isn't there.
    Sigh (start hammering nails into bat)

The last 3-5 days are provisional.

since the cases bottomed out, we have been in a steady increase. The peak above the line is (largely) Northampton.......
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

@CarlottaVance

The PD:
    The precise nature of commitments should be commensurate with the scope and depth of the future relationship....

What Barnier effectively said yesterday:

The precise nature of commitments should be irrespective [of] the scope and depth of the future relationship....
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

You really don't read my posts. I didn;t say that Labour MSPs would join the SNP - simply that they might ally with the pro-independence parties. It's an important distinction.
    Fine then they can be expelled from Labour and deselected given Starmer and Leonard have made clear Labour is a Unionist party
  • Options
    @Big_G_NorthWales .... did you ever imagine yourself, a Conservative, putting up barriers to trade in a defiant defence of the right to have state subsidies?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Well, what an innings. Even if it was a rather tame end.

The highest score for England since Cook’s 294 at Edgbaston.

And respect to the Pakistan players for acknowledging it.
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

@Big_G_NorthWales .... did you ever imagine yourself, a Conservative, putting up barriers to trade in a defiant defence of the right to have state subsidies?

I never envisaged our country would be held hostage by a large block we have voted to leave

Also we want a trade deal but the EU do not other than to bind us into their organisation

Normally I reject state aid, but covid has changed all that and the irony is that EU countries are already ignoring that rule
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    ydoethur said:

Well, what an innings. Even if it was a rather tame end.

The highest score for England since Cook’s 294 at Edgbaston.

And respect to the Pakistan players for acknowledging it.

Sheer carelessness ... :smile:
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    Andy_JS said:
    Biden has moved up to 74% chance on the 538 forecast, up from 71% a week ago. Not quite sure why - maybe the last couple of days of polling have been mostly good for Biden (although the model is supposed to discount a post-convention bounce) or maybe it's just as time goes by and Biden's lead remains and more polls happen, the uncertainty gets less.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Andy_JS said:
    Biden has moved up to 74% chance on the 538 forecast, up from 71% a week ago. Not quite sure why - maybe the last couple of days of polling have been mostly good for Biden (although the model is supposed to discount a post-convention bounce) or maybe it's just as time goes by and Biden's lead remains and more polls happen, the uncertainty gets less.
    Punters don't seem to believe the latest polling. Trump has moved up to a 42.5% implied chance recently.
  • Options
    England should declare this. Monday and Tuesday look like washouts. They can’t lose from here, but if they bowl well in the last 2 hours of play they might win by an innings tomorrow.

They won’t, of course, but they should.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Andy_JS said:

kamski said:

Andy_JS said:
    Punters don't seem to believe the latest polling. Trump has moved up to a 42.5% implied chance recently.
    I wonder why though. Is there some good economic news/forecasts?
    Or do punters think that Trump will be able to do enough voter suppression to steal it? He's certainly been active on that front recently, so it would fit.

Edit: I actually trust the 538 forecast a bit more than punters, but haven't put any money on it. BUT I don't think the 538 forecast takes into account shenanigans at the postal service, for example.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

England should declare this. Monday and Tuesday look like washouts. They can’t lose from here, but if they bowl well in the last 2 hours of play they might win by an innings tomorrow.

I said as much earlier
  • Options

To @Theuniondivvie, you asked about Unionist politicians and whether any of them can help turn the tide and make us all feel we live in a union that belongs to us. I really have no idea. I'm not really sure if an individual is the solution. Showing up is a start. Even an abortive holiday where a grumpy farmer does a tabloid expose on your tent building is some sort of learning experience.

Thanks.

I agree turning up is better than not turning up, and every day should be a learning day.

In the event of indy ref II, if BJ actually gets off his arse and uses his fabled campaigning skills to talk to ordinary Scots, even it means he gets a royal slagging, I'll put him above Cameron on that aspect at least. Probably too much to expect him to debate Sturgeon, that'll be left to the Gover I'm sure.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    Trump calls out FDA chief, suggests agency is slow-walking Covid clinical trials
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/22/trump-covid-clinical-trials-tweet-400183
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    Some excellent news regarding the possible efficacy of vaccines: https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/08/hint-of-covid-19-immunity-3-sailors-with-antibodies-spared-in-outbreak-at-sea/

The full results of the 323 person Pfizer 2 trial are also out, and their vaccine appears to generate similar immune responses to other vaccines, with fewer side effects. The key to this vaccine, the BioNTech one, is that it is the easiest and cheapestocheapest all the candidates to manufacture. If their Phase 3, completing in October, is positive, then people could start getting vaccinated in large numbers in November/December.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Andy_JS said:

kamski said:

Andy_JS said:
    Or do punters think that Trump will be able to do enough voter suppression to steal it? He's certainly been active on that front recently, so it would fit.

Edit: I actually trust the 538 forecast a bit more than punters, but haven't put any money on it. BUT I don't think the 538 forecast takes into account shenanigans at the postal service, for example.
    The Wunderwaffe of a vaccine? Even if there's something viable by the end of the year, it'll take some framing to make it a gamechanger.
  • Options

Rexel56 said:

@CarlottaVance

The PD:
    The precise nature of commitments should be commensurate with the scope and depth of the future relationship....

The precise nature of commitments should be irrespective [of] the scope and depth of the future relationship....
    Ah, OK, you are arguing on the basis of what you interpret him to be saying. Fair enough.
  • Options

Sigh (start hammering nails into bat)

The last 3-5 days are provisional.

since the cases bottomed out, we have been in a steady increase. The peak above the line is (largely) Northampton.......
    The colour coding doesn't seem to show the peak above the line as being largely Northampton - and the biggest drop in the colour coding is the North West. Even if the last 3-5 days are provisional it doesn't look like it will be back above the line.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Fine then they can be expelled from Labour and deselected given Starmer and Leonard have made clear Labour is a Unionist party
    By when it would be too late.

The other problem for you is that a very significant proportion of Labour voters in Sxcotland are pro-independence as well as being anti-Tory.
  • Options

Rexel56 said:

I never envisaged our country would be held hostage by a large block we have voted to leave
    How did you envisage the negotiations of a trade agreement would proceed then?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    I am willing to bet that this "unionist alliance" will work just as well as Unite to Remain.

Spoiler: awfully.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I disagree. England can lose from here, they're not likely to but they can.

If Buttler goes out then I would want England to start swinging the bat much more looking to declare, but otherwise keep playing naturally see see if he too can get his double-century, build an insurmountable total - crush the Pakistani batsmen's spirits and then look to enforce the follow-on.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Trump calls out FDA chief, suggests agency is slow-walking Covid clinical trials
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/22/trump-covid-clinical-trials-tweet-400183

The fact that this isn't a surprise, or even headline news, shows how successfully Trump has normalised the most ugly and bonkers behaviour. And millions of people are going to vote for this arse.
  • Options

I am willing to bet that this "unionist alliance" will work just as well as Unite to Remain.

Its my turn to agree with you.
  • Options

The key difference would be Labour or the LDs did not stand down their candidates against the Tories, the Scottish Tories would still stand down their candidates against the SNP where they are not the main challengers.

Unionist parties also would benefit still from the PR top up list unlike at Westminster
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

Rexel56 said:

@CarlottaVance

The PD:

Ah, OK, you are arguing on the basis of what you interpret him to be saying. Fair enough.
    Foxy seems to think the LPF was defined in the PD irrespective [of] the scope and depth of the future relationship.... too.

Despite the PD literally saying the opposite.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

ydoethur said:

If Buttler goes out then I would want England to start swinging the bat much more looking to declare, but otherwise keep playing naturally see see if he too can get his double-century, build an insurmountable total - crush the Pakistani batsmen's spirits and then look to enforce the follow-on.
    I will assume you haven’t seen the weather forecast.

There is no realistic way Pakistan could put enough runs on the board to bowl England out twice in the time available.
  • Options

kamski said:

Andy_JS said:

kamski said:

Andy_JS said:

The Wunderwaffe of a vaccine? Even if there's something viable by the end of the year, it'll take some framing to make it a gamechanger.
    that's true, there's been some optimistic news on that front. I really hope Trump doesn't get the credit if something does appear before the election.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

The other problem for you is that a very significant proportion of Labour voters in Sxcotland are pro-independence as well as being anti-Tory.
    It wouldn't, any statement of support for independence before polling day means deselection and replacement by a Unionist candidate.

The vast majority of Yes voting Labour voters defected to the SNP after 2014 anyway and are no longer Labour voters
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Andy_JS said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

moonshine said:

He is an odious creep
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. G, glad to hear things are improving :)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

A very, very significant proportion of Labour voters in Scotland, even if they would vote No, are more anti-Tory than they are anti-independence.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Jonathan said:

Barnesian said:

I hope it is a very painful
    No Deal totally owned by this government and its supporters, but I suspect that Cummings won't allow that.

Remain lost, get over it.
    That’s all Brexiteers have. We won. That’s it.

No articulation of any benefits of Brexit, no adaptation to the current circumstances. No attempt to win anyone over or find a positive case.

Just we won, we will do it, to hell with the consequences and damn the rest of you.

I see the r rate for Remainerdepression is back on the rise.
    He has a point. What's it all for? Other than fish obviously.
    Who are we going to sell the fish to? We are closing off our main market for goods.
    we can always eat more of it ourselves.

It will vary our diet from eating grass.
    Brits do not like fish all that much. It is why we sell our fish.

Now, if we could develop a wild McDonalds burger that could be harvested (ideally living in a clamshell style bap) then no doubt we would eat every single one...
    Actually Brits love fish but they only like a resticted range. A bit of education would do wonders to widening what we like.
    They tried that in the war. Brexiters ought to be forcefed on snoek and rock salmon for the rest of their lives.
    Your country needs YOU... to eat bloater paste!

Well, herring can't be deep-fried so we have to find some other way of making it 'easy'.

(But it shallow-fries very well after being dipped in oatmeal - had it with new potatoes a few days ago.)
    Sounds yum.
    If you have it with new ayrshire tatties it is very nice indeed. Not as popular as it once was.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

A very, very significant proportion of Labour voters in Scotland, even if they would vote No, are more anti-Tory than they are anti-independence.
    Indeed, and a Holyrood election is not a referendum, especially as the question is being explicitly framed by the SNP as one of authority to have a separate referendum.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2020
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I will assume you haven’t seen the weather forecast.

There is no realistic way Pakistan could put enough runs on the board to bowl England out twice in the time available.
    I did ask earlier. The forecast looks pretty reasonable apart from Tuesday. Its unlikely Pakistan could win from here, but Pakistan can bat and bowl and it is possible if England collapse in their innings.

Plus if we're to bowl them out twice while losing a day or more then enforcing the follow on could be critical. There's a major difference between 450 to 500 versus 550 to 600 for enforcing the follow-on.

Earlier reply to Big_G:
    Nothing's won yet. Pakistan can bat and could still win from here. Hypothetically we could go all out for 500, they could be 100-1 tonight, get all out for 400 tomorrow, skittle us for 100 on day 4 setting themselves a target of 200 in the final innings for victory.

On the other hand we could keep playing as we are, still be batting tomorrow and comprehensively bat them out of the game - and have the option to enforce a declaration follow-on and have them batting for a second time already on day 4.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Given it is a few small isolated clusters what point would extra testing elsewhere do. They are concentrating on the outbreaks and have then under supervision, testing, tracking and tracing etc very localised as they should be doing. There are a lot of idiots about that pontificate on stuff they have no clue about.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed, and a Holyrood election is not a referendum, especially as the question is being explicitly framed by the SNP as one of authority to have a separate referendum.
    Its a hard thing to campaign against as Hague found with his 'save the pound' election - when Blair was saying there'd be a referendum.
  • Options

Probably because people aren't coming forward to get tested.

If testing capacity were being fully utilised it would be worrying as it would mean demand was exceeding supply and people would have to go without testing who need it.
    It is all down to two clusters , so no need to test the whole country.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Its a hard thing to campaign against as Hague found with his 'save the pound' election - when Blair was saying there'd be a referendum.
    Indeed, though polling tends to show more Scots are in favour of having a referendum than actually voting yes in it, which I suppose ius logical (the timing is the main matter at question, for which covid is one reason).
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Will never happen , stonewall SNP majority next year and Tories know it well, even with their dirty tricks it will not go down well. Would only drive even more Labour voters to indy camp.
  • Options

Mr. G, glad to hear things are improving :)

Thanks MD
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Will never happen , stonewall SNP majority next year and Tories know it well, even with their dirty tricks it will not go down well. Would only drive even more Labour voters to indy camp.
    Great to see Nats so rattled, of course if Scottish Cons stand down in SNP held seats where the SNP vote is under 50% that gives a huge boost to Scottish Labour or LD chances of taking the seat
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

It wouldn't, any statement of support for independence before polling day means deselection and replacement by a Unionist candidate.

The vast majority of Yes voting Labour voters defected to the SNP after 2014 anyway and are no longer Labour voters
    You really don't have any understanding of Scottish politics.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

So what, if there is no Tory candidate they can still vote Labour not Tory
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Boris has said there will be no indyref2 while he is PM but obviously it is easier to prevent a Nationalist majority at Holyrood rather than have to go down the Madrid route which will be the last resort to ban indyref2
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

You really don't have any understanding of Scottish politics.
    Fancy that.
This discussion has been closed.